Print Page | Close Window

Paranoid ... Kinda?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=361211
Printed Date: Sep 22 2018 at 1:51pm

Topic: Paranoid ... Kinda?
Posted By: OoDles O
Subject: Paranoid ... Kinda?
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:32pm
What type of things do you do that can possibly be considered a form of paranoia.

Quick back story: I was raised in Bmore (not the nice part), lived with moms... moms was paranoid overly cautious and her extreme vigilance has worn off on me

for example:

•I stay leaving my radio on in my house when i leave sometimes. 
•I usually leave the club early cause I don't want to die (I dont do ratched clubs like I use to though)
•I stay ripping up my bank receipts 
•I hate when someone is standing way to close to me in the grocery store line cause if I'm paying with debit, I dont want them seeing my password.
•I park in the back in most parking lots.
•I walk with a purpose and treat most people like stray animals. 
•I got all this junk mail that i need to put into the shredder. Its starting to pile up on me.

Some of these examples are irrational but ... I guess I get it from my moms

Replies:
Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:33pm
I lift the toilet seat after I pee.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:37pm
I always look in the backseat before I get in the car. 

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:38pm
I shred everything!

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:40pm
If i'm driving home by myself at night, I constantly look in my rear view mirror to make sure no one is following me. I will loop around my street once if I suspect something is up.

I don't  allow men to buy me drinks in the club/party unless I am with them at the bar

I also treat strangers as stray animals

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:43pm
what does that mean?

treat strangers like strays?

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:45pm
Typical cancer male

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:46pm
That happened to me also...
some car just happen to be making all the turns I was making righ...

im like "diss n****a following me?? time to take a detour!. Then my mind goes wild and I start thinking about how I'm going to escape this car thats following me on some high speed evade action ... lol

Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:46pm
In these days and times its best to do what makes u feel safe ..

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

what does that mean?

treat strangers like strays?

I use to walk home from elementary school in the hood and no one kept their dogs locked up...
so in order for the dogs not to chase me I had to just act normal like I didn't notice them going about their business.

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Typical cancer male

your telling me I'm not alone in my actions?

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:50pm
do you keep your papers in a box or bag...unorganized?

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:52pm

•I stay leaving my radio on in my house when i leave sometimes. Or the TV. Or a lamp at night.
•I usually leave the club early cause I don't want to die (I dont do ratched clubs like I use to though) When I go, I stay till closing.
•I stay ripping up my bank receipts That's just plain smart.
•I hate when someone is standing way to close to me in the grocery store line cause if I'm paying with debit, I dont want them seeing my password. Same as above.
•I park in the back in most parking lots. I do it because folk stay bumping into my car smh. At night, I park close though.
•I walk with a purpose and treat most people like stray animals. Same but I treat strays nicely, like people.Ouch
•I got all this junk mail that i need to put into the shredder. Its starting to pile up on me.

My mom is from Detroit and stays keeping windows, doors, etc locked up tight. Growing up in a high crime area made her keep those habits and taught them to me.

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:52pm
bag.

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Typical cancer male

your telling me I'm not alone in my actions?
yep. Just like my current. His motto is paranoia = preparedness. He walks just like you describe and does some of the same things, but he doesnt drive. He grew up in detroit and Philly

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:55pm

bag.
him too :(

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 4:56pm
:-(

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 5:04pm
CC: that's what I was thinking. I treat strays well, but from afar lol. I didn't know if that's what it meant.

Posted By: sistagal
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 5:06pm
If I'm getting in my car alone at night. I lock all doors before starting mirror checks etc & drive off ASAP. I hate lingering when I'm alone

I always look at my review mirror as well

I don't walk around with headphones at night or just in a secluded area. I'd rather hear what's going on around me.

I lock my front door when I get into the house & make sure all windows are closed before I leave

I don't accept drinks unless I'm seeing them poured by the bar tender

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 5:16pm
I check my gas stove constantly to make sure all the pilots are lit ..... If its late mace stays in my hand until I reach home.....I don't like when people are too close to me on the train I will kindly ask them to move over oh and at work I clean my desk off every morning (germs)

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 5:37pm

If my mama knew how lax I was she would kill me for being so stupid.

My car door is never ever locked.

My apartment doors are only locked sometimes. The tv and all the lights are always on.

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 5:51pm
I need to be more careful and paranoid. I always leave my personal stuff out for the world to see, and I'm always talking to creepy people. I just attract them for some reason.
The other day I went to the park early in the morning by myself with no cellphone or pepper spray and while I was walking, some creepy buff dude comes running next to me. And what do I do? I begin chatting with this dude through the whole park. And mind u, its barely light outside and we are the only people there. I could've gotten raped or killed because I was being careless

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 6:52pm
these sound more like ocd than paranoia:

I  triple check doors and windows each and every night before I go to bed

I sleep in a dead coma but any little noise will have me up with a quickness

I still sleep wth my bedroom door open even tho my kids are MUCH older now just so I can hear them

I walk with a purpose everywhere I go and I don't stop for strays either

I carry hand sanitizer galore and rarely touch door handles or other public items like toilets, bathroom doors; i flush public toilets with my foot *I'm a ninja*

I will question whomever to death until I get the answers I need; this could be anyone but mostly happens at work (my coworkers hate this)

I still check on my kids/tuck them in when they are sleeping even tho they are MUCH older now (they hate this) Embarrassed

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 7:08pm
oodles, i do all of these except i park in front, under a light.

i also carry my keys in my knuckles.

at night, i approach my car at an angle so i can see under it to make sure no one is under it...i remember my dad telling me (when i was 7) that men hide under cars and will slash your achilles heels and then carjack you/kidnap you.

i wake up in the middle of the night to check locks.

i don't like to go anywhere by myself.

i don't talk to ppl when i'm out...i put on a bitchface so ppl don't talk to me.

mine is paranoia, though.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 7:13pm
I hate the feeling of someone walking behind me within like 10 feet of me. This includes friends

I hate the feeling of someone standing behind my chair when I'm seated. I'm not sure what exactly I think will happen though

I, sometimes, jump into my bed real quick so nothing grabs/slits my ankles

jk.....Stern Smile

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 7:17pm
I'm super paranoid.  I think everyone is out to get me and there is a massive plot to bring about my demise.

Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 7:26pm
I don't like to sit with my back to a door. I really hate that. I don't like to sit near restrooms either, I will ask for another seat if possible.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 7:50pm
i stay looking for not so obvious alternate forms of egress when i am in public places and devising my emergency exit strategy...

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 8:03pm
Every night I ask my husband if he's "secured the perimeter"

When I lived alone, I was a lot more cautious, probably paranoid, couldnt stand quiet because every rattle, bump in the night was a murderer from Cold Case Files

LOL

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 8:30pm
When I'm going to be in a certain place for an extended amount of time, i always look something that can be used as a weapon and, like tc mentioned, i'm searching for exits.

i usually walk in the back when i'm with a group because i don't want anyone to get lost. 

i have those cheap window alarms and fake security stickers on all my windows cause i don't want to spend money on ADT. 

when i walk alone, i speak to crazy people and try to be as nice but "hard" as possible when they speak to me. i figure this will deter them from doing something crazy if i completely ignore them.

some other stuff...i have to think about it.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 8:37pm
my car doesn't have an alarm so i keep my keys on a chain with a button to activate this super bright led light and an automatic alarm that's loud as hell in case somebody tries something. 

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 8:52pm
I don't sit with my back facing the door. I always have to sit facing the door or window when out in public places.
I don't wear headphones when I'm out and about because I like to hear what is going on around me
When I go out of town or leave out and won't be home until after dark, I leave a light on.
I always look in my backseat before getting in the car(when I had a car).
When walking alone at night, I always look around me and behind me every minute.
Oh and I always stand on the outside of a crowd...I can't stand in the midst of one or too close to one. If something pops off, I need to be able to dip and dash fastLOL

Posted By: missdeeluxe
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 9:51pm
I'm so paranoid.
Stay checking my backseat and locking my doors.

If I hear a strange noise at night or what sounds like a car rolling up to my house I'm up peeking through my windows with my phone in my hand.
I got creeped out once that there was a car parked in front of my house on the street at like 11:30 at night with it's hazards on that I stayed watching him for like an hour LOL

Also I have a police radio app on my phone that I like to listen too...

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Ot: Wtf? LOL

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 10:55pm

What type of things do you do that can possibly be considered a form of paranoia.

Quick back story: I was raised in Bmore (not the nice part), lived with moms... moms was paranoid overly cautious and her extreme vigilance has worn off on me

for example:

•I stay leaving my radio on in my house when i leave sometimes. 
•I usually leave the club early cause I don't want to die (I dont do ratched clubs like I use to though)
I stay ripping up my bank receipts 
I hate when someone is standing way to close to me in the grocery store line cause if I'm paying with debit, I dont want them seeing my password.
•I park in the back in most parking lots.
I walk with a purpose and treat most people like stray animals. 

Some of these examples are irrational but ... I guess I get it from my moms

Most of these honestly seem pretty rational to me. I do the bolded. And I'm always aware of my personal space and who is unnecessarily invading it. Unless we're on a packed subway car, standing room only section of a concert or something of the like...there's no reason for you to be all over me. And I stay walking around town with my headphones in & sunglasses on (during daylight hours) to minimize awkward encounters.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 11:02pm
i do most of the stuff thats in the op.

when i get boxes in the mail i make sure to tear up the label cause what if someone finds it and decides to come over...Shocked

i always leave lights on when i leave... especially when i go outta town.
i need a shredder.

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 11:21pm
lol @ the "dip and dash" .... I'm always plotting an escape route..
to take it even further... kind of off topic

I kinda want to get chased by a Cop.... cause I know!!... I know in my heart of hearts!! that I can get away...

I wish there was some kind of theme park for me to test my skills. 

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

I shred everything!
enron!

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 11:58pm
I so most of the things in the OP and I get it from my mama too lol.

I carry my taser even when I'm just taking out the trash or checking my mail.

Like LadyBird, I carry my keys like a weapon.

I always feel like people are casing my apartment, so I leave the light on if I go somewhere at night.

If I'm leaving at night while people are outside, and it's obvious I'm gonna be gone for a while, I'll poke my head back inside and say something really loud like, " See you later bae" even if he isn't here.

I keep a little cash stashed in my apartment cuz I'm always paranoid of someone wiping out my account, or stealing my purse or wallet.

Plenty more... my friends always say you can tell I grew up in the hoods of Miami cuz everything makes me give the side-eye.

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 12:03am

lol @ the "dip and dash" .... I'm always plotting an escape route..
to take it even further... kind of off topic

I kinda want to get chased by a Cop.... cause I know!!... I know in my heart of hearts!! that I can get away...

I wish there was some kind of theme park for me to test my skills. 

DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 3:34am
Keep the front lights on.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:29am
We leave the lights on at home and a tv if we're out
If I have to go to Brooklyn or Bronx, I take off all my jewelry and buy fake jewelry before I go.
I always hide my electronics in the subways and hold onto my purse/bag/backpack for dear life
I'm very vigilant in the city
I don't talk to people in the city but that's usually because I can't be bothered.
I carry Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer always.
I always have the security walk me to my car and I always call someone and tell them that I am on my way out with security and will call them in xyz minutes and if I don't, call me. If I don't answer, something is wrong.
I have a code phrase to say if I'm in trouble.
I always tell at least 2 people where I am going and when to expect me back.
I always call when I reach my destination.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 5:46am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

We leave the lights on at home and a tv if we're out
If I have to go to Brooklyn or Bronx, I take off all my jewelry and buy fake jewelry before I go.
I always hide my electronics in the subways and hold onto my purse/bag/backpack for dear life
I'm very vigilant in the city
I don't talk to people in the city but that's usually because I can't be bothered.
I carry Clorox wipes and hand sanitizer always.
I always have the security walk me to my car and I always call someone and tell them that I am on my way out with security and will call them in xyz minutes and if I don't, call me. If I don't answer, something is wrong.

I need to get like you ITD.. hmm I wonder what my code word should be.

Posted By: uNaTtaiNAblE88
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 6:29am
I can't sleep in front of strangers, EVER. when I was little, I stayed in a children's museum overnight with the rest of my city's girl scouts, and I must have walked around that place 3,064 times. I can replicate a double helix and tell you what causes static electricity to this day...

when I moved out of my parent's house, I familiarized myself with my apartment in the dark. now those light switches? still a work in progress.

my keys are always in my hand when walking alone, one earbud out if i'm listening to music.

aisle seats always. theater, plane, couch.

my personal bubble changes depending on the other person's reach.

not really a fan, but I know how to "click, clack, bow" the guns in my home.

nothing ostentatious in my attire. I like to look as homeless as I can when out and about.

off top, i'm suspicious of people who smile a lot. Like, why are you so happy? because you just finished wearing someone's skin, probably.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:01am
Originally posted by uNaTtaiNAblE88 uNaTtaiNAblE88 wrote:

I can't sleep in front of strangers, EVER. when I was little, I stayed in a children's museum overnight with the rest of my city's girl scouts, and I must have walked around that place 3,064 times. I can replicate a double helix and tell you what causes static electricity to this day...

when I moved out of my parent's house, I familiarized myself with my apartment in the dark. now those light switches? still a work in progress.

my keys are always in my hand when walking alone, one earbud out if i'm listening to music.

nothing ostentatious in my attire. I like to look as homeless as I can when out and about.

off top, i'm suspicious of people who smile a lot. Like, why are you so happy? because you just finished wearing someone's skin, probably.

i can only imagine what was going through your little girl brain at the time...must have been an interesting night.LOL

Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:13am
Thanks for the responses everyone...

I was thinking that, yes, alot of us are paranoid hyper vigilant, and to some extent, over the top with it. But should our lifestyles be this way? This behavior is reactionary but should we be content living in an environment in which we have to behave overtly cautionary just to sustain our existence?

With that said, one of the safest places I've ever been to, aside from my house, was Tokyo. The streets were clean and somewhat quiet. On the flip side when I was in Mexico City I felt unsafe. We actually had a body guard while we were their... minus the strip club... it was cray out their.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 7:15am

I familiarized myself with my house in the dark.

my keys are always in my hand when walking alone,

+me

Lol at F8...my parents had my sisters and me doing that since we were children.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:04am

this is sooo me. 

Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:10am

But should our lifestyles be this way? This behavior is reactionary but should we be content living in an environment in which we have to behave overtly cautionary just to sustain our existence?

i have been harrassed/attacked quite a few times, so I feel better doing these things. i'm not content living this way, but I can only control what I can do to protect myself. it's also very different for women; in some ways, we are conditioned to behave in an overly cautious manner.

also, the stories my parents told me growing up of crazy sh*t (riot era in detroit) didn't help at all. I couldn't even trick or treat b/c my parents were scared of crack in the candy...

lol if u run from the cops, do it Chris Dorner style LOL

Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

i need a code phrase. i still tell ppl where i'm going, and i do the security walk sometimes when i'm out late.

LOL

Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 11:16am
We grew up leaving our doors unlocked. Even in the hood. I just finally stopped doing that.

Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 9:58pm

[/QUOTE]

i can only imagine what was going through your little girl brain at the time...must have been an interesting night.LOL
[/QUOTE]
I was sooooo homesick, I think I cried by a stuffed desert fox. My parents were really strict, so this was the first time they ever let me stay somewhere, and it wasn't at all what I expected. I just remember my eyes being dry as heck, cuz I stopped blinking after like, hour 2. good times.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:00pm
Yep our doors were always unlocked.

Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:09pm

damn lol

do yall live up north?....the ones that don't like people that smile a lot

lol, that must be why. fixed smiles just creep me out. they remind me of The Gentlemen from Buffy. like, relax your face muscles and give me my bags, creepy cashier guy.

Date Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 10:33pm

damn lol

do yall live up north?....the ones that don't like people that smile a lot

yep, i do. i didn't do a bitchface until i moved up here. before, when i lived in the south, i would smile at people easily. when i came up here, ppl thought i was crazy and gave me mean looks, so i quit smiling. and then the guys and their approach is very different as well, and i don't want to deal with it at all.

Print Page | Close Window