Print Page | Close Window

children and the black national anthem

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=360771
Printed Date: Jul 16 2018 at 4:16am

Topic: children and the black national anthem
Posted By: KinksnWinks
Subject: children and the black national anthem
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:12pm
Do you know the black national anthem, and are you going teach your children the black national anthem?

I ask because I was watching BFV and Trina said she didn't teach her children it, because they weren't fully blackOuch

So after that I felt ashamed because I only know the first verse

Replies:
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:15pm
my mother or school never taught it to me.  i didn't learn it until i was like 3rd or 4th grade and went to a night time event at a black elementary school(charles r drew).  

eta, yes i'd teach it to them.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:15pm
we sang it every morning in school. 
never thought about it. 

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:16pm
yes i know the words.
yes my child will know the words.

and trina is an idiot.
especially if she thinks her son and his his doubie are safe from being called "black" or the "n word" in these streets.

Posted By: nitabug
no and no
If ever I knew there was one, then I forgot.

You really felt ashamed? & the BFV is still on air? Is Mary Mary's show still on air?

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
I learned it when I was 6, my kids will also know it...probably before I teach them the yt national anthem

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:17pm
Trina's son is a weirdo.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:18pm
Yeah I know it.
We sang it often at school events

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:20pm
Trina is dumb for that statement...

You'd rather have an ignorant child than a well-rounded child?

With that mentality, they might as well deny their black half altogether...

Posted By: sweetskul
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:24pm
never heard of it 

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:24pm
I had to google it. No I wont be teaching any of my descendants that song. They will learn at school or church and forget about later in life, just like I did.

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

no and no

You really felt ashamed? & the BFV is still on air? Is Mary Mary's show still on air?

yup and yup to your questions...

and if Mary Mary comes back for another season..lol its going to be filled w/ drama.

as one of the sisters just found out that her husband was cheating on her w/ a family friend.
and she was on twitter this week... begging ppl to pray w/ her while they try to get it together because its getting worse.

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:28pm
I went to predominantly White Schools for most of my life and can't remember hearing the song before high school.  I heard it during the Black History Celebration  in 9th grade and taught myself a year or two later; though I only remember the first verse. I will be teaching my children the song.

ETA: Mary Mary is indeed coming back for a 3rd season.  They confirmed it some time ago.  Erica is going solo and Tina is trying to kill her husband, it should be a great season.

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:34pm

no and no

I did, I was never really pro-black, and viewed racism as in the past, and the only racist people around were old and ignorant, that was until I moved to Georgia, and have experienced so much racism that you would think Joe Crow was still in affect....so now I try to be more aware of how important and privileged I am to be black  

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

no and no

and if Mary Mary comes back for another season..lol its going to be filled w/ drama.

as one of the sisters just found out that her husband was cheating on her w/ a family friend.
and she was on twitter this week... begging ppl to pray w/ her while they try to get it together because its getting worse.

This is off topic, but does anyone listen to the Rickey Smiley Morning Show, Gary was quoting scriptures after talking about Mary, Mary

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:38pm
yes i learned it as a child bc there was some award ceremony for smart colored  kids held by APhiA every year and my mom made me go. 

we also sing it at HU  at graduation and some also put up a black power fist. i was here for it

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:39pm

omg. I knew they should have never done reality. smh

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by sweetskul sweetskul wrote:

never heard of it 

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:42pm
Reminds me of the end of the Breakfast Club interview with the Braxtons when Charlamagne said that show "disturbs [his] spirit" LOL

omg. I knew they should have never done reality. smh

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:44pm
watever her husband's name is.. was like he did it b/c he had "free" time b/c she was never home.

Pinch

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 6:51pm
No and no
I don't do anthems

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:03pm
I know it, but I can only think of the first verse.

If I ever had kids, they'd probably learn since we'd most likely attend a black church.

Don't want kids tho.

Posted By: babycakebabe
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:24pm
Yes, they will know every verse. They'll learn how to play it on the piano and I'll have them singing it for the guests of my dinner parties.

They will also know that sculptor Augusta Savage created this sculpture which is named Lift Every Voice and Sing:

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by babycakebabe babycakebabe wrote:

Yes, they will know every verse. They'll learn how to play it on the piano and I'll have them singing it for the guests of my dinner parties.

They will also know that sculptor Augusta Savage created this sculpture which is named Lift Every Voice and Sing:

I thought I was the only one who thought like this, my future children have no idea of what kind of life they are going to have

Posted By: KhadiNiaomi
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:13pm
Yes I am proud to say where Im from, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands, we sing the black national anthem at big events. 

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:15pm
Let me look up the lyrics right quick. 

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 9:17pm
Nah I'm not teaching my kids that. 

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 4:37am
oh snap i forgot all about that....

yeah probably wont teach them it tho. mostly cause i'll forget. im so busy trying to correct the stuff they're learning in school.

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:26am
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

Originally posted by sweetskul sweetskul wrote:

never heard of it 

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:32am
Lol, that's news to me. Never knew there was a black national anthem. Off to Google...

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:39am
She'll know it because I sing lots of random songs

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:50am
My children will know the Nigerian national anthem, and the black national anthem.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 6:02am
Originally posted by KinksnWinks KinksnWinks wrote:

I ask because I was watching BFV and Trina said she didn't teach her children it, because they weren't fully blackOuch
sooooo, i started looking on google to see if trina of miami fame aka da badest bitch had children. and i never heard of this black national anthem. fail fail fail

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 6:12am
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

Originally posted by KinksnWinks KinksnWinks wrote:

sooooo, i started looking on google to see if trina of miami fame aka da badest bitch had children. and i never heard of this black national anthem. fail fail fail

lol not that trina, trina braxton from the braxtonsLOL

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 6:35am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

we sang it every morning in school. 
never thought about it. 

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 6:39am
oh and *rolls eyes* @ trinas.....i'm trying soooooo hard to be different but failing miserably azz...

Posted By: KhadiNiaomi
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 7:01am
I can't believe some of you guys don't know the black national anthem. That song does make me want to cry its a nice song. I like the way Caribbean people sing it though, the American way is a little different in pronunciation.  

Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 7:40am
Yea we not bout to be sheddin' tears over a song praisin' the white man's God. 

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 7:51am
Yes and I sung it to my son when he was just born and still sing it. I know the whole thing by heart.

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 8:50am
I heard it for the first time in college at a black student union meeting. I will not be teaching it to my future children.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:03am
Was that the song in lean on me with mr.clark?

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:03am
In my house i learned the regular one and the haitian one. Even thouggh the haitian one os like 10 min long

Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:15am
i just remembered--the man who helped write it came to church one day and we sung it. i think it's a lovely song. 

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:20am
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Was that the song in lean on me with mr.clark?

So sad I remember that song

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:22am
Beautiful song.

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:50am
I don't recall her saying she didnt yeah it to them cuz they weren't fully black. Saw the ep three times. I know she said she didn't cuz she didn't know it or think to.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 11:00am
it's really a beautiful song.. not sure why anyone be against it...

Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 4:59pm
They sang this at the graduation that I just left. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Yea we not bout to be sheddin' tears over a song praisin' the white man's God. 

LOL  i do agree but at the same time, knowledge is power...i'd want my kids to know so they don't feel culturally inferior in any way...im probably carrying over my own bag.g.a.ge of not getting to go to a black elementary school though.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 7:36pm
I love the song.  It is very beautiful and actually I think I will start singing it at home.  Thanks BHMThumbs Up

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:06pm
I'm just a little thrilled that this song is now known as the Black National Anthem. I still remember us refusing to stand at events for the Star Spangled Banner one. Then this one started being sang and slowly but surely it went 'viral.'

Now, I'm torn.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:12pm
Lift every voice?

I learned it from TV, no reason not to teach it to black children

Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 9:59pm
I will teach my children that white people are soulless creatures that steal, kill and lie....and to never trust them.
Then I'll teach them how great black people are at everything and how we invented everything.

Posted By: MzCaliky
Date Posted: Jun 01 2013 at 10:08pm
Wow a lot of people do not know this song. too sad. As a black person it is your duty to know at least the first verse. 

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:49am
Yes, yes, a billion times, yes.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i just remembered--the man who helped write it came to church one day and we sung it. i think it's a lovely song. 

The song is 113 years old!

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

wait a minute....Confused   if the song is that old, then how old is the man that visited the church?  something aint adding up

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:50am
I remember singing this in school.
I just didn't know it was called the black national anthem. Pinch

Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Omni Harmony Omni Harmony wrote:

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

wait a minute....Confused   if the song is that old, then how old is the man that visited the church?  something aint adding up

AuntB who showed up at church that time? were you there? it was like 2.5 years ago maybe? i could have sworn they said it was his brotherConfused

Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 9:05am

Was it at the 11 am service? I usually go to the 8 am or the Saturday night services.

It was probably his John Rosamond Johnson's great-grandson, James Weldon Johnson's great nephew. I've seen him at other places but I forget his name.

Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 9:55am
We sung it at our black elementary school...only on black history month though. I like it

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 12:54pm

Cry WHY OH WHY did I read the youtube comments for this song....

Print Page | Close Window