Print Page | Close Window

Hemp seed oil side effects? Help

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=360626
Printed Date: Nov 17 2017 at 4:00pm

Topic: Hemp seed oil side effects? Help
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: Hemp seed oil side effects? Help
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:07am
I just made a post in the period thread about this, but I want to make sure it doesn't get buried in there. Bored W/You, if you' re reading this, I'd particularly like your input since you suggested the Manitoba hemp oil capsules to shrink fibroids and told me you were successful with this...

Did anyone one of you experience side effects from the Manitoba hemp seed oil capsules? I think it's making me hallucinate vividly when I sleep (dreaming about bugs in my room, enough to wake me up, voices, feeling that a stranger has busted into my house and waking up to check...)
 I'm starting to wonder if it is behind my recent insomnia as well. I have been known to hallucinate at least once when I was severely sleep deprived for 3 days straight a few years back and not on these capsules and recently with my insomnia, but since the hemp oil, this is on a whole other level

I need to check with my pharmacist if it can interact negatively with the medication I'm taking but I found this on the net. Anyone experience this? I thought the hemp in these capsules was so minute that it couldn't affect anyone in that manner...

THC Effects

As the PeaceHealth website suggests, hemp oil derives from a plant that contains high levels of the neurological chemical THC. This chemical can cause hallucinations, euphoria or high anxiety in supplement users when taken on a regular basis. As such, hemp oil supplements can cause similar effects in some patients using the herb for the treatment of any disorder. It is recommended that supplement users not take hemp oil products prior to operating machinery or driving due to the risk of these hallucinogenic properties. This is especially true to individuals who are overly-sensitive to THC, which can be determined by visiting your medical doctor for more information.

Replies:
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:10am
I don't want to stop taking them if it's unrelated because I really want those damn fibroids to shrink. I did notice some effects taking them, such as spotting, which I took to be a good sign, as my periods were getting interrupted and highly irregular before the pills, due to the size of the fibroids...

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:11am
Woah

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:13am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

Woah

Indeed. The thing is, weed has NEVER done this to me (although I haven't had it in years) and those pills only have trace amount of THC and are perfectly legal. So I'm not sure what's the deal

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:48am
damn--hallucinogenic??!

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

damn--hallucinogenic??!

It's baffling to me because hemp is basically weed and weed is not hallucinogenic to my knowledge. Besides, hemp oil doesn't have a lot of it in there and it's an essential fatty acid. This only happens to me when I'm sleeping (when I actually manage to get in a few hours!) The dreams/hallucinations are so strong that they wake me up several times because they feel so damn real! Never had anything like this happen to me before. This is my last hope for fibroids. If not, it's a hysterectomy while keeping the ovaries Cry My friend just had one recently and she's fine, but I wanted to avoid that myself

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 8:01am
OMG, no I've never had vivid dreams or insomnia because of them.
The only side effect that I got were my cravings for sweets went away, sorry You are a having a problem with them...

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 8:04am
I ingest hemp seed and I haven't experienced any side effects that you mentioned.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

OMG, no I've never had vivid dreams or insomnia because of them.
The only side effect that I got were my cravings for sweets went away, sorry You are a having a problem with them...

I'm going to see my pharmacist today to get her opinion on this product and possible drug interactions. At first, I assumed my insomnia had to do with stress over losing my job but now I see that the hallucinations are abnormal. I REALLY REALLY don't want to give them up because I don't want a hysterectomy. I'm hoping this is due to something else I haven't considered.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 8:09am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I ingest hemp seed and I haven't experienced any side effects that you mentioned.

I believe you. I did some internet research prior to buying them and I didn't see any of this mentioned. Most people rave about it. But given what's been happening lately, I started digging a little further and that's when I found the bit about possible hallucinations in extremely sensitive people. I'm gonna take an appointment with my doctor too, but the thing is, these people are always skeptical about anything natural to start with, so I'll start with my pharmacist. This sucks.

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 8:20am
Are you taking anything to combat the insomnia?  I saw that you posted about that a while back.  

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 8:31am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I believe you. I did some internet research prior to buying them and I didn't see any of this mentioned. Most people rave about it. But given what's been happening lately, I started digging a little further and that's when I found the bit about possible hallucinations in extremely sensitive people. I'm gonna take an appointment with my doctor too, but the thing is, these people are always skeptical about anything natural to start with, so I'll start with my pharmacist. This sucks.

And I believe that you experienced those side effects.  You must be really sensitive or those capsules breakdown a lot faster, or do you take the liquid?

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

Are you taking anything to combat the insomnia?  I saw that you posted about that a while back.  

I bought the melatonin, as my pharmacist had told me there were no known drug interactions, but I haven't started on it yet, because these hallucinations were bothering me and I don't want to add to it. I'm gonna wait before I start that.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:54am
Are you taking the melatonin?

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:55am

And I believe that you experienced those side effects.  You must be really sensitive or those capsules breakdown a lot faster, or do you take the liquid?

I take the capsules. I just came back from the pharmacist. She looked in her computer and noticed no known drug interactions. I explained what is happening to me and what I found on the Internet and she says that it's possible, though. She's telling me to stop taking them for a little while and see if the symptoms stop. If the symptoms stop, I'll know it's the capsules and I'll have to stop entirely. If the symptoms don't stop, it's something else and I'll heave to see my doctor. She also told me to keep her posted to add the info in her database if it turns out that it's the hemp oil capsules.

She tells me that sometimes the capsules might have higher traces of the HRT than normal due to improper treatment and that I might also want to experience switching to the liquid form. Could be the brand.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 9:58am
oh no!  i don't use the capsules so i can't offer and insite there.....but i use the oil on my hair.  if i use to much it will irritate my scalp and now that you mention it i think i was having very vivid dreams as well when i used to much...hmmmmm.  hope you figure out what is causing the this.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

oh no!  i don't use the capsules so i can't offer and insite there.....but i use the oil on my hair.  if i use to much it will irritate my scalp and now that you mention it i think i was having very vivid dreams as well when i used to much...hmmmmm.  hope you figure out what is causing the this.

If you're not ingesting the stuff, it sounds unlikely that it would cause your vivid dreams, but then again, I don't know. In theory, these hallucinations only happen to a very few people, from the info I've gathered. You have to be extremely sensitive to it for this to occur. So I'll stop for a while to see what happens and keep you guys posted.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:04am
good lawd...that post of mine is awful!!!  that's what i get for typing so fast.  lol

anyway, please let us know...

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

good lawd...that post of mine is awful!!!  that's what i get for typing so fast.  lol

anyway, please let us know...

LOL, I still had no problems understanding what you said. Happens to me all the time, I type at a mile a minute. I'll pull this thread back up in a few days to let you all know what's what.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:09am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

Are you taking the melatonin?

Not yet. I'm holding off on that, considering what's happening now. I have bought it, though. It's in my cabinet.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:16am
The amount of THC in hemp seeds is typically not significant enough for you to experience such extreme side effects. Are the capsules mixed with anything? Meaning, are there any ingredients other than hemp (cannibis sativa L.) on the label? If so, it could be the additional ingredients making you feel this way.

I've never tried the capsules, but I take a tablespoon I hemp oil daily and I haven't had any side effects...

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:16am
Hmm okay I thought maybe you had been taking a sleep aid which could totally explain the issues.  I have nothing to add JP; I also suffer from mild insomnia and had been taking diphenhydramine in excessive doses to sleep.  I just stopped taking it last night so I'm not awake.  Good luck.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:23am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

The amount of THC in hemp seeds is typically not significant enough for you to experience such extreme side effects. Are the capsules mixed with anything? Meaning, are there any ingredients other than hemp (cannibis sativa L.) on the label? If so, it could be the additional ingredients making you feel this way.

I've never tried the capsules, but I take a tablespoon I hemp oil daily and I haven't had any side effects...

I know the amount is not significant. I've done my research over the net, which is why I wasn't nervous taking it at first. But when these symptoms started developing, I digged some more like I said initially and I have found this info about hallucinations. This info was echoed on another site as well. It's supposed to be rare and it's not mentioned often. Pharmacist also said that some natural products are sometimes tainted because there's no real regulations. I'm considering switching to the liquid after I finish my little experiment.

THC Effects

As the PeaceHealth website suggests, hemp oil derives from a plant that contains high levels of the neurological chemical THC. This chemical can cause hallucinations, euphoria or high anxiety in supplement users when taken on a regular basis. As such, hemp oil supplements can cause similar effects in some patients using the herb for the treatment of any disorder. It is recommended that supplement users not take hemp oil products prior to operating machinery or driving due to the risk of these hallucinogenic properties. This is especially true to individuals who are overly-sensitive to THC, which can be determined by visiting your medical doctor for more information.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 10:53am
I'm sorry all of this is happening, especially all at once

maybe your insomnia is compounding the effect?

I would look into whether or not it's advisable to cut out hemp oil cold turkey (or if you should taper off)

there are licensed naturopaths in ontario, likely montreal as well ... might be worth going to see one

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:03am

I know the amount is not significant. I've done my research over the net, which is why I wasn't nervous taking it at first. But when these symptoms started developing, I digged some more like I said initially and I have found this info about hallucinations. This info was echoed on another site as well. It's supposed to be rare and it's not mentioned often. Pharmacist also said that some natural products are sometimes tainted because there's no real regulations. I'm considering switching to the liquid after I finish my little experiment.

<h4 style="margin-bottom: -0.4cm;" ="western"="">THC Effects</h4><p style="margin-bottom: -0.4cm;">As the PeaceHealth website suggests, hemp oil derives from a plant that contains high levels of the neurological chemical THC. This chemical can cause hallucinations, euphoria or high anxiety in supplement users when taken on a regular basis. As such, hemp oil supplements can cause similar effects in some patients using the herb for the treatment of any disorder. It is recommended that supplement users not take hemp oil products prior to operating machinery or driving due to the risk of these hallucinogenic properties. This is especially true to individuals who are overly-sensitive to THC, which can be determined by visiting your medical doctor for more information.

Is that the same info from the OP...? Thanks for the repost...

I wasn't insinuating that it's not possible--I get that it's rare...hence my use of the word typically

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:05am

I'm sorry all of this is happening, especially all at once

maybe your insomnia is compounding the effect?

I would look into whether or not it's advisable to cut out hemp oil cold turkey (or if you should taper off)

there are licensed naturopaths in ontario, likely montreal as well ... might be worth going to see one

Oh, no doubt that it is. I've experienced hallucination-based insomnia before, but we were talking 3 straight days without so much as one hour of sleep, not 4 hours of sleep per night or less. It's different this time. And even though I'm asleep when it's happening, it's frightening as hell because it will wake me up in an absolute panic.
I can't afford a naturopath right now so I'm gonna start with the pharmacist's recommandations

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:06am

<h4 style="margin-bottom: -0.4cm;" ="western"="">THC Effects</h4><p style="margin-bottom: -0.4cm;">As the PeaceHealth website suggests, hemp oil derives from a plant that contains high levels of the neurological chemical THC. This chemical can cause hallucinations, euphoria or high anxiety in supplement users when taken on a regular basis. As such, hemp oil supplements can cause similar effects in some patients using the herb for the treatment of any disorder. It is recommended that supplement users not take hemp oil products prior to operating machinery or driving due to the risk of these hallucinogenic properties. This is especially true to individuals who are overly-sensitive to THC, which can be determined by visiting your medical doctor for more information.

Is that the same info from the OP...? Thanks for the repost...

I wasn't insinuating that it's not possible--I get that it's rare...hence my use of the word typically

LOL, no worries, no upset whatsoever. I was just clarifying things, that's all.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:10am
I've never had any of these issues. What else are you taking ? Maybe there is an bad drug interaction.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I've never had any of these issues. What else are you taking ? Maybe there is an bad drug interaction.

I double-checked with my pharmacist just today. She's ran everything through. She sees nothing.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:16am
I would stop taking it.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I would stop taking it.

That's what I plan on doing for a week. To see if that's what's causing it. That's what the pharmacist recommended. Unfortunately, I foolishly took a dose this morning. So I'm gonna have to start tomorrow. Only time will confirm or infirm whether that's the problem. Could be something else.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:27am
everyone's body is different.  stop taking it if you dont like the side effects, continue if you dont mind them.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:44am
you have to pay out of pocket for a naturopath?  My mom goes to a medical doctor that is also a naturopath and doesn't pay out of pocket.

What did the pharmacist say about sleeping?

I think your insomnia is taking a toll, something has to be done about that rather quickly.  I would hit  a walk-in

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:51am

you have to pay out of pocket for a naturopath?  My mom goes to a medical doctor that is also a naturopath and doesn't pay out of pocket.

What did the pharmacist say about sleeping?

I think your insomnia is taking a toll, something has to be done about that rather quickly.  I would hit  a walk-in

- I've never heard of them being covered in Quebec. I will double-check however.

- As far as the insomnia is concerned, it's unclear. Since I suffer from an anxiety disorder in the first place, I already take medication that in theory should be helping me sleep (it's not specifically a sleep medication, but it does have that effect). However, in times of extreme stress, I'll still have insomnia. I assumed that I was going through such a time right now subconsciously over financial worries (it's not like I'm particularly stressed about it when I'm awake, so it must be subconscious). But then the vivid dreams/ hallucinations started and that coincides with when I started to take the hemp oil.

-I'm taking an apt with my doctor today. She's only in on Thursdays, so I'll probably have to wait 2 days.

Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 12:07pm

might sound trite ... but you have to get to the root of what's stressing you out and how your thoughts are affecting you, either by yourself or through a therapist ... I don't know that medicine alone can solve everything that is going on

--------------------

since you mention your unconscious mind

have you tried meditation and positive affirmations

dissecting your stressors might go a long way as well (identify what they are, the worst and best case scenarios and how you reach the best case)

I really hope that you find relief and that you are sleeping soundly by the end of the week

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: May 28 2013 at 1:27pm
nvr took capsules I used the oil to seal my hair gave me a massive headache haven't used since

Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:06am
UPDATE: The vivid dreams stopped. The insomnia remains. And I never stopped taking the hemp oil capsules.

Two possible conclusions:
1) It could be that this is how my body reacts to the hemp oil at first (vivid dreams) and then my body becomes used to it. The reason I kept on taking it is that the day I had decided to stop, I'd already taken my dose, so I had to wait for the next day. Only that night, I had no more vivid dreams, although still plagued with insomnia. So I kept taking the capsules to see if this was a freak occurrence and if the vivid dreams would continue.  The vivid dreams never returned.

2) It could also be that the hemp oil had nothing to do with the vivid dreams at all and that they happened to coincide by accident with when I started taking the capsules. Which would mean that both the vivid dreams and insomnia are anxiety-based.

As of Monday, I'm really stopping the capsules for a week to see if any other changes occur. Will keep you posted. I might or might not have jumped the gun with the hemp oil issues.

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:23am
I take the capsules, and never had any issues. I take six during the course of the day, but last dose is always around 5 PM. I try to take everything well before bedtime.

I also stared taking Vitex as well. Too early to tell if they are helping with the shrinking fibroids but this month I had no PMS symptoms at all... I actually had to check my period tracker app to see when I was due. Also, period much lighter than usual. I used to wonder what the hell people were talking about when they said their periods lasted 3 days!

Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

I take the capsules, and never had any issues. I take six during the course of the day, but last dose is always around 5 PM. I try to take everything well before bedtime.

I also stared taking Vitex as well. Too early to tell if they are helping with the shrinking fibroids but this month I had no PMS symptoms at all... I actually had to check my period tracker app to see when I was due. Also, period much lighter than usual. I used to wonder what the hell people were talking about when they said their periods lasted 3 days!
Interesting. I heard about the Vitex as well but I hesitated because of the other medication I take. I'm going to wait until all my experimentation with hemp oil is over, along with my insomnia issues. If all goes well, I'll add the Vitex as an experiment. Trying to take a rigorous scientific approach to all of this, lol, so I'm gonna proceed by elimination.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 8:23am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

My mom takes Vitex (chasteberry) as well...she's taking it to level out her thyroid levels and she did tell me her dr. Indicated that her fibroids are smaller...I never made the connection that the Vitex was also shrinking her fibroids.

Print Page | Close Window