Print Page | Close Window

Has the internet killed the iconic celebrity?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=360491
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 2:43am


Topic: Has the internet killed the iconic celebrity?
Posted By: princesshoneybee
Subject: Has the internet killed the iconic celebrity?
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:29pm
from lsa 
In the past celebs were icons. We had marilyn, tom cruise,mj etc who were symbols of americana and grandeur. Now it seems that due to youtube, social media and reality tv anyone can be famous and now fame is more of the 15 minute variety. I think after this group of celebrities ( beyonce, angelina etc) celebs will no longer become international icons. Do you agree that social media and internet sites has killed the iconic status of celebrities? ( in a world where black chyna can be a celeb, i cringe)




Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:31pm
You are way too attached to celebrity. 


Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:35pm
Lawd, I was just thinking about this topic! I came across a message board with a topic about people who unfollowed certain celebs due to their ratchet behavior on Twitter. Social media destroys that mystery that came with wondering what your fav. celeb's personality is like. Now celebs are just one click away, and anyone with a camera and internet can be famous.


Posted By: KottonKandy
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:42pm
I think so. I hear/read some of these celebs saying how they want some of their mystery back. I'm in Atlanta and I run into celebs all the time. You can read so much about them on their social pages and when I see them, I don't ask for autographs, pics or etc. It's like yeah okay, that's so and so, hey, hi are you, bye. (If it's an A lister, it's a different story lol). I don't see them as special people anymore. Plus I'm older and that could be another reason. 


Posted By: KottonKandy
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by honeyb87 honeyb87 wrote:

Lawd, I was just thinking about this topic! I came across a message board with a topic about people who unfollowed certain celebs due to their ratchet behavior on Twitter. Social media destroys that mystery that came with wondering what your fav. celeb's personality is like. Now celebs are just one click away, and anyone with a camera and internet can be famous.

yes girl. I grew up loving Brandy and Monica and I unfollowed both with the quickness. They are both lame as hell to me now. Though I like Monica more these days. I maybe follow 3 celebs, which Janet's team only post for her. 


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:45pm
The internet has ruined so many things


Posted By: Dapheny
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:48pm
 Yes! the mystery is what kept people wanting to know more.Now that's just a click away.


Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:56pm
if managed properly celebrity can be bigger than it ever was ... easier access to more audiences and their pockets

just needs a completely new aproach


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:12am
you made this thread before or something very close to it


Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:12am
Its not the internet its the lack of talent and originality. Record companies are satisfied investing in one hit wonders as long as they can bank of the current "sound".  There hasn't been an artist that blows me away consistently however there are artist who impress me with their willingness to do something that isnt predictable.




Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:14am
Chyna B isnt a celebrity imo, if anything its that title that thrown around too loosely.


Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 3:49am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

you made this thread before or something very close to it


Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Its not the internet its the lack of talent and originality. Record companies are satisfied investing in one hit wonders as long as they can bank of the current "sound".  There hasn't been an artist that blows me away consistently however there are artist who impress me with their willingness to do something that isnt predictable.




ClapClap
I can't really blame record companies though. It's business, so they are playing it safe. Anything outside the safe box is considered a risk- since it may not appeal to the masses that fund their bank accounts.

But for artists, safe is boring. I noticed while there are some very catchy songs out there today, they all end up sounding the same. I always find myself reverting back to old school music.






Print Page | Close Window