Print Page | Close Window

Im getting a kitty tomorrow

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=360483
Printed Date: May 24 2018 at 11:08pm

Topic: Im getting a kitty tomorrow
Posted By: laceyfront
Subject: Im getting a kitty tomorrow
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:39pm
He's 13 weeks, I've never had one before but I do like cats. It's already litter trained and had it's shots. Any advice?

Replies:
Posted By: loveandpeace1984
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:44pm
The cat will take care of itself. Just get some citric smelling lotion and rub your couch with it and some spray as well so she won't scratch it.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by loveandpeace1984 loveandpeace1984 wrote:

The cat will take care of itself. Just get some citric smelling lotion and rub your couch with it and some spray as well so she won't scratch it.

Ok thanks, am I supposed to trim the nails? I know I should get a scratching post right?

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:59pm
Cats give me the creeps

#teampuppy

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:59pm
ew

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:01pm
Scratching post good, get her use to it and train her to not claw up your couch.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:05pm
should of got a dog

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:09pm
You bout to start smelling like white people.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:14pm
It's a almost 300 page cat thread around here somewhere.....

eta: Y'all ain't shyt.

http://%20http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/official-cat-thread_topic346234.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/official-cat-thread_topic346234.html

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:24pm
Smh I like dogs too, I had a puppy last year but I couldn't do it with all the crying all night long and the pissing and pooping in my house it had to go. I'm not gone smell like no dang yt people yall sick CryLOL

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

http://%20http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/official-cat-thread_topic346234.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/official-cat-thread_topic346234.html

Thanks I think i think I left some unsavory comments in this thread when I was pro dog Embarrassed but I'm a cat lady now Beer

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

Thanks I think i think I left some unsavory comments in this thread when I was pro dog Embarrassed but I'm a cat lady now Beer

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:46pm
Cats are much neater than dogs, dogs are more of a hassle and they are needy as fcuk

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:49pm

Cats are much neater than dogs, dogs are more of a hassle and they are needy as fcuk

dogs don't bathe themselves with saliva and don't go to the bathroom inside once they are trained. 

#teampuppy

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:52pm

Yeah that was another thing, that puppy was like having another baby constantly under my heels. I couldn't even turn around without tripping over it. It was always wanting something licking my toes and calves while Im trying to watch Housewives LOL

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:04pm
Kittens like feet and toes too. Especially biting and clawing them. Those surprise ankle attacks on the way to the bathroom 1st thing in the morning are more invigorating than an Irish Spring shower!

Oh, and kiss your window treatments goodbye.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:17pm
Be careful...
Your house is now theirs, they're just gonna allow You to Pay for their Happiness.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:48pm
Take a picture of your p.u.s.s.y tomorrow! I wanna see it Big smile

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:49pm
BB so nasty

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:50pm
lmao i corrected it lmaooo

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:55pm
Lol mmhmm

I dunno..I feel like u really wanna see that "kitty" tomorrow 

Lol

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:59pm
I wouldn't mind LOLLOL

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:08pm
LOL

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:14pm
may the gods have mercy on your soul

(lol) Life as you knew it is over.

love cats!

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:18pm

Kittens like feet and toes too. Especially biting and clawing them. Those surprise ankle attacks on the way to the bathroom 1st thing in the morning are more invigorating than an Irish Spring shower!

They bite? Shocked

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:19pm
I don't like cats. My puppy is so well trained.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:19pm

It would get put out...

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:27pm
I've not had the window treatment issue thank goodness. Bujt I've heard of  (and seen other people's....) cats climbing the drapes LOL

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Take a picture of your p.u.s.s.y tomorrow! I wanna see it Big smile
Oh don't worry I'm going to take plenty of pics of my hairy little pvssy, I want to show it to the world! 

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:31pm
beware of fleas

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:42pm
yall are nasty

Kittens are the best

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 1:09am
You can train cats not to claw furniture or window treatments.  It does take time and a bit of work, but it can be done.  My cat does not claw furniture and she has never clawed a window treatment.  She does claw the carpet on the stairs, though, which is okay. 

Keep your cat's claws trimmed.  Not only does it keep you from getting scratched up, it helps cats whose nails can grow so much that they end up curling under and growing into the cats paws.  Also, nails that curl under can cause a cat to lose traction on certain surfaces.

I also wash my cat every time I go home (no one else will do it).  It shouldn't be done too frequently because it will cause the cat's skin to dry out.  Between baths, just rub your cat with a damp cloth.

Some people say that cats are independent.  I'd say that is true only to a certain extent and it depends on the personality of your cat.  I have a cat that is very needy and needs plenty of attention.  Cats also need stimulating activities to keep them busy.  Make sure there are plenty of toys around--these can be as simple as cardboard boxes or paper bags (no plastic). 

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 3:12am
I hope it is a shelter cat....Smile

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Lhdc2011 Lhdc2011 wrote:

beware of fleas

It's never going outside so Im good right? Is that allowed or is that cruel? I don't want it to catch anything.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 6:52am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

You can train cats not to claw furniture or window treatments.  It does take time and a bit of work, but it can be done.  My cat does not claw furniture and she has never clawed a window treatment.  She does claw the carpet on the stairs, though, which is okay. 

Keep your cat's claws trimmed.  Not only does it keep you from getting scratched up, it helps cats whose nails can grow so much that they end up curling under and growing into the cats paws.  Also, nails that curl under can cause a cat to lose traction on certain surfaces.

I also wash my cat every time I go home (no one else will do it).  It shouldn't be done too frequently because it will cause the cat's skin to dry out.  Between baths, just rub your cat with a damp cloth.

Some people say that cats are independent.  I'd say that is true only to a certain extent and it depends on the personality of your cat.  I have a cat that is very needy and needs plenty of attention.  Cats also need stimulating activities to keep them busy.  Make sure there are plenty of toys around--these can be as simple as cardboard boxes or paper bags (no plastic). 

Thank you, you gave me more info than all my google searches put together LOL I was reading that you can train it to stay off the countertops by spraying it with water but don't let him know it was you. I saw videos of people giving cat's baths but I didnt want to ask and look stupid LOL

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 6:55am
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

I hope it is a shelter cat....Smile
This lady up the street is giving them away, I guess they would be going to the shelter if nobody could take them. We told my daughter she could get a dog or cat and when she heard about free kittens we didn't really have any excuses left LOL

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:10am
Laceyfront, I have never used water as a form of punishment or discipline for my cat because I didn't want her to see water as something to be afraid of, if you know what I mean.  Each cat is different, but the way I got my cat not to scratch certain areas is to simply pick her up when she was about to scratch and move her to the right place.  You have to do this a LOT with some cats before they realize what's happening.  The key with training a cat is patience.  Believe me!

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:18am

Laceyfront, I have never used water as a form of punishment or discipline for my cat because I didn't want her to see water as something to be afraid of, if you know what I mean.  Each cat is different, but the way I got my cat not to scratch certain areas is to simply pick her up when she was about to scratch and move her to the right place.  You have to do this a LOT with some cats before they realize what's happening.  The key with training a cat is patience.  Believe me!
Yeah that makes sense, Thank you. 

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:18am
What about the litter box, should I keep it in the same place all the time. I was wondering if I was upstairs with him how is he going to get to the litter box since he's just a kitten and it's downstairs. But if I bring it upstairs he might get confused.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:30am
Me and my cat boxed and I won that's how she kept  from clawing up the couch.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:32am
Well, again, every cat is different.  Every time I moved my cat's litter box, I made sure I picked her up and physically put her in the litter box so she knew where it was.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:37am
I still think you should get a dog...

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:44am
maybe you will want to have a box on each floor. That's what we do--2 boxes per floor (2 cats). One cat never goes to the basement though.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:48am

Originally posted by Lhdc2011 Lhdc2011 wrote:

beware of fleas

It's never going outside so Im good right? Is that allowed or is that cruel? I don't want it to catch anything.

my cats never go outside but I still give them advantage/frontline periodically in case they pick up a flea in a hotel, vet, pet hotel, etc. or if one of us (or   guests) brings one in.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:20am
Originally posted by GoodGirlGoneGr8 GoodGirlGoneGr8 wrote:

I still think you should get a dog...

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

maybe you will want to have a box on each floor. That's what we do--2 boxes per floor (2 cats). One cat never goes to the basement though.
Yes! Im so glad I made this thread! Thank you, I pick up my kitty later today! Party

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:23am

Me and my cat boxed and I won that's how she kept  from clawing up the couch.
LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:24am

Well, again, every cat is different.  Every time I moved my cat's litter box, I made sure I picked her up and physically put her in the litter box so she knew where it was.
ok will do!

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:28am
Hey my stars went down! Dirty rat bastards! I see what yall mean that is infuriating! CryLOL

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 10:22am

Hey my stars went down! Dirty rat bastards! I see what yall mean that is infuriating! CryLOL

Dog lovers....smh.

Please post pics of your kitty when the new kitty arrives!

Posted By: YoursTruly
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 10:25am
Just don't bring any brownies to work with cat hair in it......Confused

Had a co-worker do that....Dead Good thing I didn't plan to eat any.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 10:54am
Originally posted by YoursTruly YoursTruly wrote:

Just don't bring any brownies to work with cat hair in it......Confused

Had a co-worker do that....Dead Good thing I didn't plan to eat any.

My family says Im not aloud to cook anymore food on the holidays, we never eat food from anyone who has pets Ouch

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 10:57am
Originally posted by honeyb87 honeyb87 wrote:

Dog lovers....smh.

Please post pics of your kitty when the new kitty arrives!

I have him now, he wont sit still long enough for me to take a pic. He's afraid of me and he hides whenever I come near him and he is crying. I think he's calling for his momma Cry

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:20pm
He will be like that for the first couple of days. You will probably only see him when he's hungry LOL
I agree with getting the flea meds now. The cat I had before this one came with fleas as a kitten. I didn't know, I thought he was just scratching to scratch. The fleas got into the carpet and it turned into almost a 200 dollars to by the products to kill them all. And I had to stay at my sisters for a week while the fumigated went on.

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:24pm
Oh and if he isn't already get that ninja neutered immediately. After Flea-mageddon was over my cat realized he was a male cat that with needs and became really mean all about trying to get to some female cat booty. He eventually ran away and when my bf tried to bring him back, the cat gave him a two piece to his face.

The cat I have now is total love bug/lap cat/snuggle buddy. He follows me around asks for you to pet him by pulling your hand with his paw or tapping you. He is so sweet and I love him to pieces. Embarrassed

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Afrocentchic Afrocentchic wrote:

He will be like that for the first couple of days. You will probably only see him when he's hungry LOL
I agree with getting the flea meds now. The cat I had before this one came with fleas as a kitten. I didn't know, I thought he was just scratching to scratch. The fleas got into the carpet and it turned into almost a 200 dollars to by the products to kill them all. And I had to stay at my sisters for a week while the fumigated went on.
ok thanx Im gonna head to the store tomorrow to get more stuff. I made and appointment to get him fixed too. He did come out for a little while and sat under the table between my legs while I was on the computer but if I so much as scratch he runs under the couch again. Now that my daughters home he ran under the couch for good. He is eating but not drinking the water, and hasn't used the litter box yet.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 4:38pm
don't know if I missed it, but what's his name?

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 4:43pm
when I first got my cats (born feral), the girl was a hider. She'd  find the deepest, darkest corner in the basement . I'm talking a tight spot way behind the  bookcases where you can't even reach your hand to pet her. She was so skittish.  One thing I learned quick though was  that when she did ome out, don't even look her way. Just ignore her (I know it's hard to not look at a cute kitten LOL). The minute you even blink her way, she'd run back to her dark corner.

Now, I can't get rid of her . she's always under foot.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 6:22pm

when I first got my cats (born feral), the girl was a hider. She'd  find the deepest, darkest corner in the basement . I'm talking a tight spot way behind the  bookcases where you can't even reach your hand to pet her. She was so skittish.  One thing I learned quick though was  that when she did ome out, don't even look her way. Just ignore her (I know it's hard to not look at a cute kitten LOL). The minute you even blink her way, she'd run back to her dark corner.

Now, I can't get rid of her . she's always under foot.
Thats what Ive been doing, I read about that trick earlier. She came out a couple of times but only when my daughter went upstairs. I told her to play it cool but she gets overly excited and tries to get him to come out. He did play with her while she had that feather on a stick thing then ran back under the couch. He actually ran around my legs and let me pet him before scurrying off again. We named him Tiger. My daughter is upset because she thinks the kitty likes me and not her, I guess it's going to take some time Cry

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:26pm
How do you train a cat to use a litter box?

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:31pm
You don't "train" them. They instinctively know how to do it themselves

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 7:57pm
get a scratching post

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

What I read online said if you don't keep the litter box clean they won't want to go near it and you may have to start litter training it again. So you don't really train them you just show them where it's at?

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

get a scratching post
I will tomorrow thanks

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:16pm
I finally got a pic of Tiger while he napped! He's starting to come out in the open a little bit and he let my daughter lay next to him!

http://s589.photobucket.com/user/laceyfront/media/BeFunky_Picture037jpg.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:23pm
He is SUCH a handsome little boy!

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:26pm
Awwww! Omg he's cute! HeartSmile

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:47pm
do boy and girl cats have different general behavioural patterns?

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 8:56pm
My cats didn't

But we did get them spade and neutered as kittens so they maintained their kitten-like behaviors well into adulthood Stern Smile

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:00pm

They usually know with minimal guiding. The most I have had to do is sit them in the box and rub a little litter on them. Sounds silly but it works.

Lacey like Purp said, get Frontline for fleas. Get them at the vet and once you are familiar with being a cat owner, you can buy them online for cheaper.

OT: I literally had a kitten who knew where to potty at and still went to the corner of the living room and took a huge dump. The box was clean, the house was quiet and he knew where to go but he was like 'naw, behind the couch looks good to me'.LOL

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:08pm
I was going to add, cc, that i actually don't really know if you have to guide them b/c my kittens already knew how to go when we took them in. They had a mommy who probably showed them (we had gravel near our garage where they stayed)

That just occurred to me LOL

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

They usually know with minimal guiding. The most I have had to do is sit them in the box and rub a little litter on them. Sounds silly but it works.

Lacey like Purp said, get Frontline for fleas. Get them at the vet and once you are familiar with being a cat owner, you can buy them online for cheaper.

OT: I literally had a kitten who knew where to potty at and still went to the corner of the living room and took a huge dump. The box was clean, the house was quiet and he knew where to go but he was like 'naw, behind the couch looks good to me'.LOL
ok! He finally went to the potty, I was worried at first.

Thanx guys, I love his stripes he reminds me of a cat the people I used babysit for had, he was super fat and old and would sit on my lap for hours and let me rub him. The other cat was like Bytch please when I tried that LOL 

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:16pm
 he may have been too nervous to go to potty for a while. They can really hold it for a long time. Sometimes when we travel with our cats, they are so 'traumatized' by having to stay in a luxurious hotel LOL, that they won't eat or relieve themselves for over 32 hrs. They will just stay huddled in their crate. Poor babies. They'd rather stay at home alone I think that go anywhere lol but I like to have them with us.e

Even in hotels when we have a temporary portable litter box, they always know how to find and use it though. Now, WILL they use it is the question. But they've never pooped outside the box in a hotel thank goodness. They will just hold it in --sometimes I think they go on a potty strike in protest for me making them leave home.

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 9:17pm
cute kitty!

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 11:54pm

he may have been too nervous to go to potty for a while. They can really hold it for a long time. Sometimes when we travel with our cats, they are so 'traumatized' by having to stay in a luxurious hotel LOL, that they won't eat or relieve themselves for over 32 hrs. They will just stay huddled in their crate. Poor babies. They'd rather stay at home alone I think that go anywhere lol but I like to have them with us.e

Even in hotels when we have a temporary portable litter box, they always know how to find and use it though. Now, WILL they use it is the question. But they've never pooped outside the box in a hotel thank goodness. They will just hold it in --sometimes I think they go on a potty strike in protest for me making them leave home.
I didn't know they could hold it, I was just praying he didn't leave me a surprise under the couch LOL

Date Posted: May 24 2013 at 11:57pm
Yeah, I think it's nerves.  I remember when I had to drop my cat off at the vet so they could collect a urine sample.  She was there the WHOLE DAY, and WOULD NOT GO.  Well, guess who peed on me when I decided to take her home?

That earned her an overnight stay at the vet's office until she went.

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:04am
eww cats

Posted By: MissCapricorn
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:14am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

eww cats

And I second that smelling like yt motion

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:53am
aw i want a cat :(

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:55am

Thanx guys, I love his stripes he reminds me of a cat the people I used babysit for had, he was super fat and old and would sit on my lap for hours and let me rub him. The other cat was like Bytch please when I tried that LOL 
LOL Awww, welcome to owning a cat.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:55am
Originally posted by MissCapricorn MissCapricorn wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

eww cats

And I second that smelling like yt motion
What does it smell like, I have a cold right now or it could be my allergies cause Im a little bit allergic to dogs and cats. My family is saying cats stink and they wont be visiting very often Cry I swear I never smelled a cat before.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

aw i want a cat :(
You should get one he is so playful!

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:58am

LOL Awww, welcome to owning a cat.
When that cat died I was upset for a minute, I think I liked him more than those bad azz kids LOL

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:08am
^LOL

Litter boxes will smell *if* you don't get the right litter that absorbs smell and moisture, you don't sift his box at least once a day or if you don't change the litter often. Other than that, it is smooth sailing.

Since he is small, it'll be hard for his little cute self to cause trouble with the box anytime soon.Smile

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:16am
Just like any other animal, a cat will only stink if you don't take care of it and don't clean its litter box.  Unless they knew before hand, no one has ever guessed that there is a cat in the house.

Posted By: Organic
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:00am
OMG look at that baby Cry. He is just the most precious thing. Gah.

Congrats on your new feline companion, Lacey Hug. I've had my little guy for almost a year now, and every day is more fun than the last. It really does only get better!

I agree with CC and TokyoRose on keeping the litter box clean. Before I had a pet, I was one of those people who felt certain that any household with a pet - specifically a cat - would be smelly. How arrogant of me LOL. I could not have been more mistaken! There isn't any 'pet' scent in here at all - which was a welcomed surprise to me because I don't do so well with foul odours LOL

My SO found our cat outside a night club (Sleepy) when he was a just little kitten, so we weren't prepared at all for an animal. We hadn't done any research, so we ended up having a 'crash course' in how to take care of a cat. Here are some of the most important things we've learned that I'll share with you Big smile.

1. It is vitally important that you get your little kitty used to being touched now that he is young. Hold him and rub him a lot, paying particular attention to areas that cats generally do not like being touched - their bellies and those cute little paws Embarrassed. This will make things like going to the vet for an exam or clipping his claws a lot easier and pain free in the future. Our vet told us this the day after we got our cat, and it has been a life saver. We clip his claws with no problems at all - actually when he sees us going for the clippers, he pads towards us and holds his paw in the air ready for his manicure LOL. It literally takes only seconds to do, but he will fall asleep or purr while we are clipping his claws. I'd recommend getting a clipper with a guard on it to prevent cutting the claw too closely. Cats have a thin layer of skin running through their nails called 'quick' that tapers off toward the end of the claw, and you don't want to cut that quick it because it will hurt them (not badly, but still LOL). He also doesn't mind his belly being touched. When he's asleep, I kiss his belly or rub it - he doesn't complain at all. He is very used to us touching him now, so going to the vet is a breeze. And seriously, cat bellies are so cute and soft, you're gonna wanna pet it sometimes LOLTouching your kitty now will also allow you to become familiar with his body in case anything 'abnormal' happens in the future. If he's got a lump or bump, you will know it isn't supposed to be there. 

2. Get him accustomed to water NOW if you want to bathe him going forward LOL. You can wash him with dawn dish detergent - the blue one - as it is gentle enough to bathe kittens and cats. In case you are like us and want to bathe your cat at times, getting him used to water now (and not using water as punishment) will make bath time a lot easier. We "submerge" our cat once a month to cut down on the shed fur. He doesn't mind that either. 

3. Finding the right litter may take some time Confused. It took us nearly 2 months before we settled on Feline Pine with the accompanying Feline Pine litter box. All the other cat litters had high floral or strong "clean" scents that were overpowering. He would come out of the litter box smelling like the litter - ConfusedLOL. I didn't like that at all. Depending on your lifestyle, it may take you a while to settle on a litter that is right for you and kitty.

4. Cats have something called a "mad half-hour". What in the actual hell Confused. This is when the cat will literally BLAZE through your house meowing and yowling loudly - running and zipping back and forth, darting in and out of corners and down stairs as if he is possessed. It lasts only briefly (5 - 10  minutes or so), and can occur at 2 pm or 2 am Stern Smile. I actually had to Google this because I thought he had gone mad LOLApparently it is a way for kitty to release all that stored energy from sleeping all day LOL.

5. Get to know his body language by being interactive with him. Cats are really smart and will "entice" you into playing. If he stares at you and meows slightly and jumps - he's saying "Hey, chase me! Chase me!". Our cat does this and I will jet off after him like a bat out of hell! He runs and slides under the bed - I'll jump on top the bed and wait for him to run out - as soon as he runs, I'll chase him and then I'll hide - he'll stalk and find me - it is fun and a serious workout LOL. But seriously, knowing your cat's behaviour will help you discern his moods or if he is ill. You can use this to your advantage should he ever get sick and you need to take him to the vet, you can describe the changes in his behaviour.

6. RESEARCH POISONOUS PLANTS!!! I don't know how I forgot this one smh. My house was like a jungle before we got this cat. Now, we only have one philodendron on top the book shelf Sleepy. It's worth it, though. Some cats will chew on plants - especially when they are kittens - and some plants can be deadly to them.

7. Cats can fit anywhere. Seriously Stern Smile. Always check your closet before you close the door (as well as the bathroom, broom closet, laundry room, vestibule *sigh*, kitchen - anything with a door that closes, make sure you check that kittly isn't stowed away inside before leaving LOL). We don't "allow" the cat into our closet, but sometimes he sneaks inside when we are doing something in the closet and we won't see him for hours. Then, out of nowhere, a little paw will appear under the closet door begging us to let him out after he's had a nap inside the shoe cubbies Sleepy LOL. He actually attacked the buttons on a pair of pants I have hanging up - so yea, keep him out the closet lol.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 2:11am
Oh, and this LOL. You will find out what this means soon enough Evil Smile

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 10:36am
Thank you everybody, you guys made this so much easier for us! Thanks Organic but what does that look mean? Is he going to pounce for fun or anger LOL

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 10:54am
My cats always smelled like Baby powder... i don't know how considering that I rarely had any baby powder in my house Stern Smile

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 11:41am
^ Same here, Alias. My kitty smells like baby powder as well - strange how that is. I do wipe his bum with baby wipes, but that shouldn't determine the scent of his fur lol.

Lacey, maybe both Evil SmileLOL. You may be asleep and one of your fingers just happens to creep under the sheets, and kitty will be right there to attack it lol.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 12:02pm
ewwwww

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

^ Same here, Alias. My kitty smells like baby powder as well - strange how that is. I do wipe his bum with baby wipes, but that shouldn't determine the scent of his fur lol.

Lacey, maybe both Evil SmileLOL. You may be asleep and one of your fingers just happens to creep under the sheets, and kitty will be right there to attack it lol.
Im kind of scared of animals Cry

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

ewwwww

Posted By: sbrownie84
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 1:41pm
Get him aquainted with His carrying bag so it is not hard for you to take him to the vet later on. Watch his diet. Try feeding him good food like WEllness.  

Have fun.....sometimes I regret not getting him another cat to play with b/c he might be lonely but it is too late now.

tiger is adorableeeeeeeeeeeeee

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 3:43pm

Just like any other animal, a cat will only stink if you don't take care of it and don't clean its litter box.  Unless they knew before hand, no one has ever guessed that there is a cat in the house.

same here. My cats don't like people, so they hide whenever anyone comes by. Most folks have no clue that we have cats. And everybody always raves about how nice our house smells.

When I first got my cats, I was leery of smells too. I used to bury my nose in my cat's fur LOL to try to see if they smelled; but I could never smell anything; like they were odorless.  I'm sensitive to smells and I can't stand to even have garbage in the house more than a day. So I have to keep it smelling good/clean--not perfumey.

eta: now as far as poop smelling, they will put out what they take in LOL. If the poop is smelly, try changing foods.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by sbrownie84 sbrownie84 wrote:

Get him aquainted with His carrying bag so it is not hard for you to take him to the vet later on. Watch his diet. Try feeding him good food like WEllness.  

Have fun.....sometimes I regret not getting him another cat to play with b/c he might be lonely but it is too late now.

tiger is adorableeeeeeeeeeeeee

ok thanks. I don't think I cold handle more than one LOL

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 4:08pm
co sign about getting him used to his carrier. I have several carriers, and we leave 2 of them out all the time for them to use as cat beds/huts. That way they don't fear the 'carrier' because they think of it as a comfy bed.

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 4:25pm
Give the cat a chance to get used to home

show lots of affection.  if you pick up, talk to your cat a lot, give him lots of love...he will give it back 10 fold.

buy fragrance free litter and try and stay with one brand.  remember, he may miss the litter box sometimes but don't hit him because he is a "child". 

Don't hit your cat, he will become scared of YOU and never forget.

Find a petsmart or petco near you, they sell letter in 40 lb boxes.  I buy 1 box and it lasts at a minimum of 1 month.

do the litter 2 times a day. I do it first thing when I get up and when I get home from work.  Remember this phrase...

His litter box is like your bathroom toilet.  Would you want to use a toilet that was full of waste??

Also remember, cats like CLEAN things so, EXPECT and understand that as soon as you do his litter, in 10 minutes he will USE IT AGAIN....so I get my plastic bag, do the litter, then tie up the bag and go on and do something else.    THen say 15 minutes later, he will use the litter again.   SO I do one final litter clean up and take it out in the morning on my way to work.

keep your store bags from say safeway, walmart anywhere...because those are the bags I put the litter waste in.

Have more than 1 litter box.  my cat has one box that he uses and when I pour out the entire box of litter and throw it away, I need to clean the litter box.  SO I just use the other litter box and fill it with all new litter when I'm cleaning the other box.

Also empty the entire litter box at least every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

THe main tip - feed him dry food.  and the SAME BRAND all the time.  that way you can leave out food and you wont have to rush home to give him a can.  As well as you can go out of town for 2-3 days and if you leave out a lot of food he can make it.

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 4:31pm
Pay him lots of attention, when you come home pick him up talk to him. hug him. 
if you raise him with no affection he will turn into a stand offish cat.

use you tube and their are lots of cat tips.

type in hair balls in cats, in you tube so you can know what to expect.

start brushing him NOW so he gets used to it, that was a mistake I made.

Date Posted: May 25 2013 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by sunshine321511 sunshine321511 wrote:

keep your store bags from say safeway, walmart anywhere...because those are the bags I put the litter waste in.

bread bags are great for this also

Print Page | Close Window