Print Page | Close Window

Insomnia: Losing my damn mind

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=360465
Printed Date: May 27 2018 at 12:59am

Topic: Insomnia: Losing my damn mind
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: Insomnia: Losing my damn mind
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:39am
It's been two weeks and I only get anywhere between 2 and 4 hours a night! I'm starting to hallucinate Cry. And damn Bruno Mars for putting that song in my head, I'll be staring at the ceiling for 8 hours unable to shut it off. I'm ocd'ing like crazy. I don't know what's happening to me. I am jobless and stressed, but damn... I'm about to blow my brains out. Anyone suffering from insomnia? I need tips!

Replies:
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:42am
i've suffered from it forever off and on.  i have a terrible time shutting my mind off...reading helps me the most since it makes my eyes tired.  

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:43am
Well damn girl, no wonder you post so many threads these days!

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:46am
Try to create a night time routine. Your body will adapt to it and realize that you are preparing to rest. Rid yourself of all active stimuli such as the TV, radio, computer, even your cell phone. Lower your lights, your body is naturally conditioned to sleep in darkness and be active at day time. Any bright amount of light can simulate daytime and prevent the production of melatonin to help you sleep.

Actually, also take melatonin supplements. If there is a deficiency of melatonin, it could contribute to dyssomnia.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:51am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Try to create a night time routine. Your body will adapt to it and realize that you are preparing to rest. Rid yourself of all active stimuli such as the TV, radio, computer, even your cell phone. Lower your lights, your body is naturally conditioned to sleep in darkness and be active at day time. Any bright amount of light can simulate daytime and prevent the production of melatonin to help you sleep.

Actually, also take melatonin supplements. If there is a deficiency of melatonin, it could contribute to dyssomnia.

I've tried a lot of the things you mentioned, Sleeping at the same hour, lights lowered, cool bedroom, burning lavender essential oils, baths, eating bananas before bed time... I agree that the computer exposure doesn't help but I only turn to it when I've been trying to sleep for hours and it's not working. Tried picking up books, walking around, nothing... 2 weeks of this bullshyt! I slept all of 2 hours last night, and 4 the night before! I'm losing it! I'm considering melatonin supplement but I have to check with my doctor or pharmacists about potential side effects with other meds I'm taking. My sis has been a chronic insomniac for years and the melatonin is not working for her so far. I'm at the point where I want to blow my brains out

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:53am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i've suffered from it forever off and on.  i have a terrible time shutting my mind off...reading helps me the most since it makes my eyes tired.  

It's the main problem. And the weird thing over the past two weeks is that damned Bruno Mars! I went to the gym one day, heard his song and can't shut it off for hours at night!!! And it's not like I'm even so enamoured with the song that I have his cd or anything but some reason, my mind is latching on to it. OCD in full effect

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 1:54am

Tried reading too. It usually works but not in the last two weeks. If this continues, they're gonna have to put me in a straight jacket

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:00am
what about medical marijuana, in the edible or pill form? 

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:00am

what about medical marijuana, in the edible or pill form? 

I'm truly thinking about it at this point. I need to find a doc willing to prescribe it. Been taking hemp seed capsules for my fibroids and I thought it could have some interesting side effects and that regard...

Posted By: Dapheny
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:16am
So, whats the Bruno Mars song? Geek

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:18am
Preaching to the choir ......I was tempted to try a over the counter sleep aid but that type of shh freaks me out...I dont wanna become dependent on anything like that.

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:35am
sleepytime tea or valerian root pills 

Posted By: dede0122
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:50am
I did as a child. I had to have been the only 10 year old that was up all night watching reruns of the love boat and the Bob Newhart show. My mom switched up the types off food I ate. I remember drinking a lot of tea and long hot baths. She even got rid of my bright yellow walls....I loved my yellow room. I was so bored being up by myslf that I started a chewed up gum collection on my head board. Not sure if anything worked or if I just out grew it.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:54am
sorry about your unemployment. i don't have any tips...i love to sleep

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:29am
Hmmm, radio and reading works well. I'll read in bed with the radio on and it helps me ease my mind into sleep mode.

Exercise helps as well. It helps get you tired when it is time for bed.

I've taken OTC sleep meds to get back into a normal sleep pattern and they do help you get to sleep but that's it.

Do you consume a caffeine? Sometimes that can interfere with sleep too.

Posted By: GphiD08
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:48am
I've been having the same issues lately... there is so much going on in my head that it's impossble to turn it off at times... I was taking melatonin at first until I realized the sh*t wasn't helping then I started taking Zquil on weekends becasue I tried during the week and it was absolute hell trying to get up for work on time... I must say the Zquil along with exercising (tires my body) has helped me a lot, I mean I don't get to sleep by 9:30/10 like I use to but I'll settle 12/1 over no sleep at all...  
I think I do have an OCDesque personality but I have so much going on in my life rght now and being away from my fam. doesnt help.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:21am
Insomnia is a bitch. I have a lot of nights like that. That's why I'm always on the forum so late at night lol

I just took some sleeping pills a min ago...That's my only solution for now besides sex. It works for a lil while but I just need it for work. If I don't take it, I would be up the whole day irritated.

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:42am

I've had this problem on and off for years. Only because my work shift changes from day to overnight every quarter. It was hard to adjust in the beginning, but I don't have any problems.

Things that worked for me...not trying to be funny but, an orgasm will help.  If you don't have a hubby to hump, invest in a sex toy or use your fingers. Instant stress reliever and sleep aid!

If you're against that idea, try aroma therapy. Get an oil burner and invest in relaxing essential oils like Lavender or  Eucalyptus, use a carrier oil like olive oil..etc..burn it in your bedroom 1 hr before bedtime so the room can be scented by the time youre ready for bed. Put a few drops of Lavender oil on your pillow and try to relax your mind. I make the room dark and cool, curl up in a warm comforter straight from the dryer, and I'm out within 10 mins.

If all else fails, NyQuil makes a sleep aid, I think it's ZZZ-Quil or something. My co-worker swears by it.

Posted By: uNaTtaiNAblE88
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:44am
I have trouble falling asleep, but once i'm asleep, I get 8-10hours, not sure if that's insomnia. I tried to take melatonin but it was giving me really scary vivid dreams, so be careful with that. What I try to do is exercise right before bed so that I'm body tired, and then I listen to repetitive chanting on youtube so that my mind has something to latch on to instead of racing around. 

Posted By: GphiD08
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Allure. Allure. wrote:

I've had this problem on and off for years. Only because my work shift changes from day to overnight every quarter. It was hard to adjust in the beginning, but I don't have any problems.

Things that worked for me...not trying to be funny but, an orgasm will help.  If you don't have a hubby to hump, invest in a sex toy or use your fingers. Instant stress reliever and sleep aid!

If you're against that idea, try aroma therapy. Get an oil burner and invest in relaxing essential oils like Lavender or  Eucalyptus, use a carrier oil like olive oil..etc..burn it in your bedroom 1 hr before bedtime so the room can be scented by the time youre ready for bed. Put a few drops of Lavender oil on your pillow and try to relax your mind. I make the room dark and cool, curl up in a warm comforter straight from the dryer, and I'm out within 10 mins.

If all else fails, NyQuil makes a sleep aid, I think it's ZZZ-Quil or something. My co-worker swears by it.

Girl you ain't neva lied about this here!!!

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:55am
5HTP

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Dapheny Dapheny wrote:

So, whats the Bruno Mars song? Geek

LOL, it's "Locked out of Heaven". Funny thing is, I don't even know the words to that song and don't even like it all that much. It's just the beginning that haunts me :

" Oh, yeah, yeah,
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
Ooh!
Oh, yeah, yeah,
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah,
Ooh!"

Actually, just about any song will set me off. The other day I was listening to a Rihanna song in my car and when I came time to sleep, I couldn't shake it off. I'm OCD and I'm under stress right now (although I've never had this particular thing happen to me before until 2 weeks ago!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, yall. Tonight: lavender oil, reading, sex, listening to talk radio, avoid computer several hours before bedtime (unless I end up not sleeping and need a distraction), reading, and if all else fails, a sleeping aid. Exercise too close to bedtime has the opposite effect on me, so that's a no go. I have to do it midday or at least very early evening.

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:58am
I take Melatonin, my doctor recommended it for my daughter but I started taking it as well. It's all natural and about $3 a bottle at Wal-mart. I've always had trouble sleeping and it's the only thing that works for me other than of course sleep meds but I don't need to be getting hooked on that mess. 

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:59am
I took a sleeping aid last night and it gave me about 4 hours. It's not ideal but I guess it's better than 2. I'm scared of becoming addicted to the stuff so I try to avoid it, but I just had to take it last night. Hopefully, I won't have to take one tonight.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:08am
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

I take Melatonin, my doctor recommended it for my daughter but I started taking it as well. It's all natural and about $3 a bottle at Wal-mart. I've always had trouble sleeping and it's the only thing that works for me other than of course sleep meds but I don't need to be getting hooked on that mess. 

Yup. I'm considering it but I have to talk to my doctor first to see if it won't run interference with some of the meds I'm taking. Funny thing is I actually suggested this to my sister a few weeks ago and she heeded my advice but it didn't help her

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:13am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Yup. I'm considering it but I have to talk to my doctor first to see if it won't run interference with some of the meds I'm taking. Funny thing is I actually suggested this to my sister a few weeks ago and she heeded my advice but it didn't help her
I got my whole family taking it now, it doesn't put me to sleep but it gives me that "it's time to go to bed" feeling. I normally can lay in the bed for hours before falling asleep, but this has really helped.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:18am

I got my whole family taking it now, it doesn't put me to sleep but it gives me that "it's time to go to bed" feeling. I normally can lay in the bed for hours before falling asleep, but this has really helped.

Thanks for letting me know. Actually, I'll go see my pharmacist today and ask him about interactions. It will be quicker than waiting for the doctor's appointment. If it's a go, I'm buying it today.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Thanks, Epitome. Fukkin crackas were making my life hell at that job anyway. You wouldn't believe the racist crap I went through. My insomnia is probably compounded by my financial worries. Will make efforts to get back my private clientele. I so envy your ability to doze off easy right now...

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:36am

Thanks, Epitome. Fukkin crackas were making my life hell at that job anyway. You wouldn't believe the racist crap I went through. My insomnia is probably compounded by my financial worries. Will make efforts to get back my private clientele. I so envy your ability to doze off easy right now...

oh well I was up with bad tummies if it makes u betterLOL

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:38am

oh well I was up with bad tummies if it makes u betterLOL

LOl, no it doesn't. I don't wish a bad night's sleep on anyone, girl

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:41am
are you just super stressed about work and stuff? i really fear this will happen to me once i really get down in my studies..stress keeping me up. my linesister was like u might have to drink every night to go to sleep. she took some serious sleep aid the night before the bar bc she was so anxious

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:44am
Some people say that exercising has the opposite effect, but for me, exercising for a couple of minutes, taking a nice bath, and then chugging that zzquil does  the trickThumbs Up

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 8:25am
Sorry to hear that Jo...this happens to me from time to time. When I'm stressed, my brain just wont shut off. I typically get about 5-6 hrs...but when I get into a "spell" maybe 2hrs...anyway, when I get like that... I play with the kitty...this relaxes me enough to at least get a few hrs & not have to take a sleeping pill...

If you want to see what I wrote, highlight the last sentence...

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:10am
i suffer from insomnia due to other medical issues, i have gone through the full gambit of sleep meds (prescription).

Try to go the natural route if possible. Melatonin is good, passionflower, valerian and chamomile.

i take a sh*t load of meds for sleep, soma, silenor and klonopin and sometimes i still do not get a full nights rest.

if it gets too bad please see a doc because insomnia can make your life a living hell, good luck

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 11:52am
y'all sleeping on 5htp

no pun

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Insomnia is a bitch. I have a lot of nights like that. That's why I'm always on the forum so late at night lol

I just took some sleeping pills a min ago...That's my only solution for now besides sex. It works for a lil while but I just need it for work. If I don't take it, I would be up the whole day irritated.

I was going to suggest this...
This is what has been working for me.
I fall asleep fairly well, but once I notice I'm sleep, I'm getting up trying to start my day.  Which leads to me not getting much sleep and being tired. Then it's a bitch getting back to sleep. Having sex has really helped me.  But now that my hubby's shift has changed and he's working overnight, sometimes I have to pull the Rabbit out to get back to sleep.

I also like going to sleep with music so all else fail, I'll put my headset on and go to bed.

Posted By: dazed&
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 12:04pm
I take melatonin. But good ol MJ is my first option if I have some. Works every time.

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 12:08pm

are you just super stressed about work and stuff? i really fear this will happen to me once i really get down in my studies..stress keeping me up. my linesister was like u might have to drink every night to go to sleep. she took some serious sleep aid the night before the bar bc she was so anxious

Stressed with money and other things. I have condo payments and what not and decisions to make about a relationship. Drinking might work, lol. The quality of sleep is not great when you do but I'm getting desperate.

I remember college, the stress and the all-nighters. Passing the bar must be serious pressure!

Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 12:09pm

LOLLOLLOL @ JewelSync & Quiann. Trust and believe this will be my first line of defense! My companion is coming back from a business trip tonight. At this point, I ain't too proud to beg! Wink  And if that fails, I'm going solo!

I went to the drugstore and bought the melatonin today. Hope that helps!

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 12:35pm
Have you tried meditation ... even guided at first to get you into an effective habit?

Have you written down everything you are stressed about, 
- the worst case scenario for each one
- and the tiny steps you can make to avoid the worst case

Then write down everything you are grateful for, the minute to the huge

sounds trite but writing it all down does wonders for perspective and after I'm done, very rarely is it ever that bad ... it's like the build up and fear makes things a lot more stressful than it really is

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 2:27pm
during a period of insomnia, i downloaded guided meditation podcasts from itunes 

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:42pm
IDk If it was suggested you can buy melatonin from whole foods or ur local health food store no more than $7 at WF......they made me sleep but gave me weird lucid dreams

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:44pm
has anyone said, go to a therapist? if not, go to a therapist. 

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:48pm

I suffer from insomnia a lot.  If you can't stop your mind from thinking, try a simple technique:  Give your mind something else to do.

Breathe deeply and slowly.  As you inhale, count to 4 or 8.  As you exhale, count backwards.  It doesn't matter if you get it wrong, just count loudly in your mind.  This gives your mind an inane task and it can stop thinking about other things and you will soon relax.

Honestly, it may take you a minute to get the hang of it but it does actually work.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

y'all sleeping on 5htp

no pun

This doesn't work well for me anymore. But taking this and smoking weed is marvelous.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:40pm
I had insomnia last year for like 2 months, I thought I was gonna pull my hair out...

Here's what helped me...
-contrast showers (@ nighttime before bed)
-catnip tea
-meditating to this right before bed (after drinking the tea)

Posted By: jimmy_rustle
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:40pm
melatonin

Posted By: Omni Harmony
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 4:52pm
geez, never had any of these problems.   I sleep like a baby every single night

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:18pm
I hope you find a solution cos insomnia really sucks. I go through it every now and then but most of the time my problem is oversleeping! I can easily sleep for over 12 hours. 

Have you tried napping during the day? take advantage of lac of routine at the moment. As long as you're sleeping, it doesn't matter that it's not a set time. 

Gosh I adore naps.

And remember, once you've worked (have transferable skills) you will always work if you want to. See this time as charging your batteries. You will always worry about bills etc even when you are working. I would really take this time to de-stress. You will be back in employment in no time. 

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 6:24pm
Please don't judge me lol, this was about 10 yrs ago but the last time I ever took some industrial heavy sleeping  tablets from the Doc, I had called my best friend on the phone (had taken the pills by then) and got her mum on the line. 

Woke up in the morning with phone still in my hands. Friend told me later that I had told her mum all MY business and her mum had given me advice. Then the line went silent. 

I couldn't remember none of that shiit. 

Cry

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:01pm

You can also try Valerian that also is a natural sleep aid....never tried though

Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 7:16pm
I've had insomnia for years that is exacerbated by the change in seasons. It also doesn't help that I have a circadian rhythm that opposes the average person. I naturally stay up all night which is why I prefer night work but I get thrown off when I am required to work in the am.

I feel your pain because I recently began (and eventually quit) a new medication that had me up for 18-22hrs at a time. Initially I didn't even feel tired but as the weeks went on I began to feel extremely fatigued but could not sleep to save my life. I cut out stimulants of any kind, took warm lavender baths, read books, tried melatonin, otc sleeping pills, various teas, trying to exhaust myself with exercise and other activities, massages, etc. I didn't get more than 4hrs of sleep until I quit the med.  I have since been trying to get back on track.

Have you tried Calm's Forte or Bach's Rescue or Sleep Remedy?  They've worked for me in the past and as an added benefit they help to calm anxiety. And be careful with the melatonin. If I am not mistaken its supposed to be used as a sleep regulator versus an occasional sleep aid. I've read that people have suffered rebounding insomnia and sleep disturbances from incorrect use.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 8:13pm
No advice, but I hope you feel better soon Jpouf.

I used to think I had insomnia, and tried to force myself to get 8-9 hours. That shyt was exhaust ing. I was tired and sleepy all the time. I finally said damn this and just accepted the fact that I only need 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

Only time my bio rhythms get phucked up is when DST starts. Those first 4-6 weeks are brutal.

I love the Sun, but DST, no maam! That shyt is not natural.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: May 23 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

y'all sleeping on 5htp

no pun

5htp will put You to sleep but it made me wakeup in the middle of the night ready for work

OP try Unisom, makes Benadryl feel like aspirin. You will get 6-8 hours...

Posted By: chatnoir
Date Posted: May 30 2013 at 12:00pm
Hi OP, my sympathies - I suffer on and off from insomnia as well.  You've probably heard of all of these suggestions, but this article was posted today and SFGate and I thought of you:

http://www.sfgate.com/living/article/17-expert-tips-for-better-sleep-4557222.php#photo-4696733" rel="nofollow - http://www.sfgate.com/living/article/17-expert-tips-for-better-sleep-4557222.php#photo-4696733

Print Page | Close Window