Print Page | Close Window

Blacks who grow up isolated from whites

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=360039
Printed Date: Sep 22 2018 at 2:38pm

Topic: Blacks who grow up isolated from whites
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: Blacks who grow up isolated from whites
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:10am

Here's what Ive noticed... because Race and Class are so closely associated here in the US I realize there are parts of America where Blacks are so isolated from Whites they many of them have created a warped reality surrounding them (*whites) and because of this mystery and propoganda Blacks still think that they will gain access to something *marvelous on earth by marrying and intermingeling. The worst part is many of them are denying there own beauty and greatness to do so! To me it explains why some of the most beautiful/and talented Black people end up accepting people from other races that thier own race wont touch!!!! The media is the devil

Replies:
Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:12am
I've met black people who didn't grow up around white people AT ALL when I went to college. As in, from rural towns in the South where there were literally NO white people IRL but only seen through media. And I found the opposite to be true. They tend to not want to be bothered with white people on any level and see them as some funky oddity. It tends to be those who are actually exposed via real life interactions who harbor the views you expressed.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:15am
I disagree......I think blacks raise with whites are more likely to marvel at their white wonderfulness than isolated blacks.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

I've met black people who didn't grow up around white people AT ALL when I went to college. As in, from rural towns in the South where there were literally NO white people IRL but only seen through media. And I found the opposite to be true. They tend to not want to be bothered with white people on any level and see them as some funky oddity. It tends to be those who are actually exposed via real life interactions who harbor the views you expressed.

IA

imo, it's the ones on the fringe who idolize.  the ones whose home life is black while their work/edu life is white...theyre getting a glimpse into the "culture" they'll never fully be a part of and will do anything to get in.

eta: what sandra said.

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:17am
Geek

*waits for thread to further develop just in case im confused*

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

IA

imo, it's the ones on the fringe who idolize.  the ones whose home life is black while their work/edu life is white...theyre getting a glimpse into the lifestyle they'll never fully be a part of and will do anything to get in.

I get what you're saying, but some would claim I fit the "fringe" I went to a suburban mostly white school district, then went to a predominantly white college. However, I don't "desire whiteness" or a "whitewashed American existence" and the naivete or straight up ignorance that comes with it. I know exactly what I am, and leverage the hell out of it to my advantage.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:19am
Then it ends in white lust and color blind mulattos......

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:22am
This can be an interesting discussion.Smile

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:22am

IA

imo, it's the ones on the fringe who idolize.  the ones whose home life is black while their work/edu life is white...theyre getting a glimpse into the lifestyle they'll never fully be a part of and will do anything to get in.

I get what you're saying, but some would claim I fit the "fringe" I went to a suburban mostly white school district, then went to a predominantly white college. However, I don't "desire whiteness" or a "whitewashed American existence" and the naivete or straight up ignorance that comes with it. I know exactly what I am, and leverage the hell out of it to my advantage.

i am not saying that it applies to every black person...

i grew up with the same experience.  black friends at home, bused to non black school across the city.  it made non black people far, faarrrr less special and glamorized than the media portrayed them to be...but also made it easier to deal with them bc it was the norm.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:26am
It's like BHM knows when I'm about to be messy and eats my post.......

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:28am
I know...

I grew up in the burbs of Indianapolis and most of what I saw was white with a sprinkling of blacks and asians. It was boring - especially in the midwest. Everyone white is mostly blonde and it felt like all races seemed to desperately want to adhere to their stereotypes with ferocity. Dead

When you don't fit the mold, you're painfully aware of how you don't fit in. I was only too happy to get out of there.

I love NYC...at least there's diversity in ethnicities & personalities! People don't automatically assume that xx race will always behave in xx way.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:29am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

It's like BHM knows when I'm about to be messy and eats my post.......

Ctl + A, Ctl +C is your bestie when on BHM. ;-)

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:32am
Girl I know.....ain't nobody got time for that.......

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:33am

LOL

I know, but that's why BHM pulled a Pac Man Fever on your post!

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:34am
well, lets take a survey.....
thoes of you who have grown up in the hood who place more value on
whites than they do black please respond in ALL PINK letters from now on in this thread.

Blacks who have grown up in subburbs and are in Awe of white people still please type in green.

and Blacks who dont really care one way or the other type in PURPLE~

blacks who are colorblind just type in White letters because NO one cares what the you got to say anyway

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:35am
Ok I'll take on the role of sh!t stirrer to make this thread more interesting:

Doesn't posing this question equal wonder & awe of all things white & its ability to influence the supposed collective psyche of the black community? So, be default does that mean since you're posing the question that you too are "infected with white wonder"?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:36am

LOL

I know, but that's why BHM pulled a Pac Man Fever on your post!

DeadLOL

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:38am
good question MB...i know they hate black people in Arizona...they fought tooth and nail to get ethnic studies courses banned.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:39am

Doesn't posing this question equal wonder & awe of all things white & its ability to influence the supposed collective psyche of the black community? So, be default does that mean since you're posing the question that you too are "infected with white wonder"?

Guuuuuuurllllllll.......

Posted By: babycakebabe
black power. to each is own. i date according to social status not race. light skin dark skin. beyonce. weave vs lace wig. more beyonce. yadda, yadda...

^^lol...I just want to keep this thread alive. I think it's actually a good topic, but I can see it falling through the cracks.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:42am

good question MB...i know they hate black people in Arizona...they fought tooth and nail to get ethnic studies courses banned.

For real, I got it from both sides. Not black enough for the blacks or the whites. Eventually I said eff it and decided to go out of state for school so I could live my life without being around judgemental b!tches. I'm a non conformist at heart. I don't want to fit someone's preconceived notion of how I should act based on their "Good Times JJ" character type concept of how black people should act.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:46am

What is White wonder? I am just posting this because the Majior themes on this Board have to do with RACE and COLORISM and the Pedagogy of the opressed..... plus I am sitting here watching Alex H. Queen "I m Niggra, Im Niggra" and I think to myself is this how some Mixed (black and white) people feel today?Ouch

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:48am

why the town's gotta be rural and in the south i don't know, but i tend to agree with the gist of this post.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:52am
Mixed folk enjoy being mixed......

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:57am
This topic is going places.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:57am

I am in Arizona not FROM AZ, and its the 5th largest city in the US~ but because I am from NY I feel the diffrence most of the people here yt and blk are stuck back in the 60's or something! There are alot of IR relaitonships here though... and every one looks unfashionableOuch people come to work in shorts and raggdey T-shrits

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:04am

I know you must be speaking for yourself... because I know a few personally that DONT really like it~ its like anything dependeds on your family, personal experaince.... I have a *friend that is dark and always wears plastic lace wigs and is married to a yt guy. They have a little dauthger togehter and the small daughter is walking around saying that she is YT! ONLY and she is only 5. Mother has issues and father just seems like he dont know how to handle it. This is just one example

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

I know you must be speaking for yourself... because I know a few personally that DONT really like it~ its like anything dependeds on your family, personal experaince.... I have a *friend that is dark and always wears plastic lace wigs and is married to a yt guy. They have a little dauthger togehter and the small daughter is walking around saying that she is YT! ONLY and she is only 5. Mother has issues and father just seems like he dont know how to handle it. This is just one example

I got caught on the plastic wigs part. I love extensions and my own real hair. So when I see people looking like they enjoy walking around with a ratchet bird's nest on their head...I tend to look at them like Ouch.

But I was only asking the question to keep the thread going. However, sometimes it feels like on here half of the race baiting/white lust threads are all coming from the same mixed person. So, honestly, this question should be posed at him.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:37am

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:02am
I think mixed people down play their love of being exotical because if they boasted other people would feel some type of way.......similar to how light skin blacks enjoy being light......yeah they will tan but nothing too dark......

BHM WILL IMPLODE IN 5.......4.....3....2...1

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:03am

I think mixed people down play their love of being exotical because if they boasted other people would feel some type of way.......similar to how light skin blacks enjoy being light......yeah they will tan but nothing too dark......

I agree with all of the above.Wink

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:04am

Lol I don't know...I know a lot of mixed people who love to have a case of mistaken identity, ethnic edition.

PS. I hate the term "exotical"! Goes right up there with "white lust"...Sleepy

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:08am
They wouldn't trade it to be full unbridled raw black tho.........

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:08am

They wouldn't trade it to be full unbridled raw black tho.........

Well by "exotical" I meant..."anything but black".

I'll never forget one time in HS I met this girl who I thought was "just white" and somehow we got on the story of ethnic make up. She basically (I sh!t you not!) said "I have almost everything but black in me"...with such a ridiculous amount of pride, it was the moment I realized I wanted to get out of Indiana ASAP.

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:11am
eta:

^^^i agree. however i feel that people often down play things about themselves because someone is always gonna be mad about something.

you know folks can't be too proud or too free.

mixed people i could see it going either way. depends on how they were interacted with and treated. either they felt tragic mulatto rejection/ridicule and will go with whatever race/people just accepted them or they felt put on a pedestal and will want to continue that fantasy of being special and magical.

hell, i'm sure some feel indifferent to the entire situation.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:11am
If a mixed person revels in their mixedness would that make them a coon?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:13am

Hmmmm would it be better to deny what you are?

Let's also clarify that one can be mixed and not be a white + black mix. So, adding that into the pot, should someone reject half of themselves just to appease the black community's need for acceptance or approval?

Ultimately I'll be having bi-racial children (black + hispanic). I wouldn't want them to reject the PR side just to pacify the black community. I see that as the silliest thing ever. Both cultures are rich, and deserve to be recognized.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:18am
Puerto Ricans black as hell.......has your man told you he can trace his lineage back to Spain?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:20am

Puerto Ricans black as hell.......has your man told you he can trace his lineage back to Spain?

Lol no. He's perfectly happy to admit that PRs are no more than a mix of Taino, Spaniard & African. His lips & nose are bigger than mine.

Besides half the time people think he's Filipino! Heads do an exorcist when he breaks out in Spanish in the bodega.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:21am

if they are 1st generation mixed, no. If they are mixed by way of one non-black ancestor back in the 1700's and they are reveling and name dropping that Dutch great-great-great-grandpappy?  yes certainly.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:25am

Lol no. He's perfectly happy to admit that PRs are no more than a mix of Taino, Spaniard & African. His lips & nose are bigger than mine.

Besides half the time people think he's Filipino! Heads do an exorcist when he breaks out in Spanish in the bodega.

Good! Someone told me that.....chile I was done .......

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:25am
I'm from a small town with majority black people.
Yall can have all the white folk yall need. I promise
I grew up in the country wide open spaces. Damn I miss being around all negros and negros who don't try to kiss white ass. Man

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:31am

Good! Someone told me that.....chile I was done .......

Lol...

I mean, I won't say that tracing back to Spain would be impossible...but unless you're one of the lucky few who has REALLY good records for your family history...that's a tall order if you're claiming ancestry from the conquistadors!

Normally, anyone I've met who says this is usually because their ancestors came over after WWI or WWII. Specifically in South America but a few in Puerto Rico from the Spanish American War.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:38am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I grew up in the country wide open spaces. Damn I miss being around all negros and negros who don't try to kiss white ass. Man
*Hums zippity doo dah while reading Jones' post about magical negro land*

lol j/k.

I grew up a military brat and had little exposure to black communities until my teen years and up. Sigh. Undergrad confirmed the belief that I need to be around a majority of brown folk (black, brown, yellow something pigmented). I can't wait to go to class around all brown people in a few months.LOL

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:41am
I remember when I was younger I hung more around the white girls cuz I couldn't relate to the black girls in classes. Those girls were too aggressive and mean for my taste... That all came to a halt when I got to high school lol Ever since then I haven't made a white friend since.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:41am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I remember when I was younger I hung more around the white girls cuz I couldn't relate to the black girls in classes. Those girls were too aggressive and mean for my taste... That all came to a halt when I got to high school lol Ever since then I haven't made a white friend since.

can you be more descriptive por favorBig smile

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:43am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

lol j/k.

I grew up a military brat and had little exposure to black communities until my teen years and up. Sigh. Undergrad confirmed the belief that I need to be around a majority of brown folk (black, brown, yellow something pigmented). I can't wait to go to class around all brown people in a few months.LOL

Magical Negro Land.....

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:51am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

lol j/k.

negros as far as the eye can see CC. From the rachet to the well to do. Sighs

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:52am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I got into a lot of arguments with them. I was quiet and they thought they would talk to me however they wanted. It was usually the city girls who came to suburban schools thinking they could "takeover" lol

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:52am

I got into a lot of arguments with them. I was quiet and they thought they would talk to me however they wanted. It was usually the city girls who came to suburban schools thinking they could "takeover" lol

lol @ city girls are you from  cali?

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:56am
DeadLOL@ As far as the eye can see.

lol I look forward to being in a magical negro land in the future.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:57am
Lol the ppl here get tired of me talking about home.
My friend said I be acting like Rose talking about back in St. Olaf

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:59am

no I'm from PA...It was girls from philly schools

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:11am
Too aggressive and Mean! Sounds like BHM or at least the typical Black woman sterotype! I guess this thing can go either way--- we are still racially  oppressed so its bound to happen I am just trying to make sure that my children are exposed to enough reality to know that we are all human beings with the same rights and ablity for achievement as everyone else on the planet. That we have a whole history and not just sprinkles of Sports and Entertainmnet and that by marring another race it wont get you anywhere.. you cant escape your Blackness if that is the goal!
Kanye do you hear me!

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:17am

[QUOTE=f8dagrate][QUOTE=BBpants]I

no I'm from PA...It was girls from philly schools

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:19am
not for me and now still would have to go where they are.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:20am

Too aggressive and Mean! Sounds like BHM or at least the typical Black woman sterotype! I guess this thing can go either way--- we are still racially  oppressed so its bound to happen I am just trying to make sure that my children are exposed to enough reality to know that we are all human beings with the same rights and ablity for achievement as everyone else on the planet. That we have a whole history and not just sprinkles of Sports and Entertainmnet and that by marring another race it wont get you anywhere.. you cant escape your Blackness if that is the goal!
Kanye do you hear me!

you know we got spell check nowLOL btw your post always cracks me up... and no I'm not a grammar/spelling nazi. I'm a frequent law breakerLOL

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:20am

Kanye do you hear me!

OHH shut the up. I said the girls in the class. Not all the black people. Get it right.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:23am

Kanye do you hear me!

OHH shut the up. I said the girls in the class. Not all the black people. Get it right.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:24am

Lol the ppl here get tired of me talking about home.
My friend said I be acting like Rose talking about back in St. Olaf
Jeezus.LOL

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:26am
i dont know if im understanding the op

however growing up isolated from white =/= unaware or unaffected by white supremacy

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:31am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

i dont know if im understanding the op

however growing up isolated from white =/= unaware or unaffected by white supremacy
=/ does that stand for does not? because that would be impossible in this counrty or most of the modern world. Evidenced by the fact that most African's you meet are extremley Europeanized and its often disappointing! I remeber meeting this guy while in Senegal and I was like can you tell me about what Africa was like before you were colonized by the french/ and Muslims... he was like "THANK GOD for the invasions because we were just drinking and behaving like animals!" I was like WTF?OuchAngryOuch  Brain washing has happened all over this earth~ and most young people of color are not even questioning it anymore

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 10:58am
what happens, I think, is that, when black people are surrounded by our our own (whether in the hood or in Baldwin Hills) we understand the rainbow of personalities within our culture first hand and unlike blacks who grow up in majority white neighborhoods, don't view black culture through the media's skewed perception. 

its as if the latter view black culture through white lenses and believe they are the exceptions to the rule. the rule being "those other black people". 

I grew up in the hood and only saw white folk on tv and when my family ventured downtown, to six flags, braves/falcon's games etc. White people were a non factor to me then and less of an effing factor to me now that I'm surrounded by them in my work place. 

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:19am
also wanted to add that when black people from black neighborhoods go from A to Z and are thrust into the white world (celebrities for example), all *my* rules are thrown out the window because suddenly this subconscious attitude of white superiority starts to take over when they find themselves surrounded by an upper social and economic class of whites. 

since there is no middle ground for their perception of white culture (no trailer park whites, no hillbilly whites, no working class blue collar whites in their world), blacks from this category seem to live in a fishbowl, fooling themselves into believing that all white people take residents in pleasantville where everything is just a little more perfect than where they come from. 

they long to be accepted into pleasantville.

Posted By: danni7
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:12pm
Did not read this whole thread but I will say colorism exist everywhere, whether white people are present or not. I grew up in the Caribbean and lighter was prettier, "good hair" was something special but we were all treated the same. Never experienced racism until I came here. Still don't understand what makes white people so special, always thought they smelt like wet dog.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:48pm
More interesting theories ..

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:50pm
Are mixed people supposed to hate themeselves or just the white part?

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

More interesting theories ..

lol

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:48pm
Geek

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

BHM would prefer mixed people to hate themselves but hating their white side is just as good.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 2:02pm

BHM would prefer mixed people to hate themselves but hating their white side is just as good.

And therein lies the rub.

Someone's always too happy to tell you what you should think, feel, how you should act, what you should reject, what you should embrace, who you should love, who you shouldn't, etc.  In the end, it gets monotonous and is an endless rat race that never amounts to more than turning yourself inside out to please the masses who aren't going out of their way to help you anyway. If you over achieve then you want to be like them, if you under achieve then your selling your race & your ancestors short.

You can't please the world so please stop trying. Pleasing the world = denying your own desires because you're putting someone else's concerns above your own (regardless of whether you try to please the white or black world). Make yourself happy and stop worrying about what other dusty ass people think - regardless of their skin color.

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:35pm
I agree completely, Model!

Date Posted: May 11 2013 at 3:42pm

And therein lies the rub.

that isn't true, for e.g, lite brite is mixed she says it a lot no one bashes her for being so. People may call her a qwhite woman, but those are usually her e-friends.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 1:16pm
I grew up around nigguhs and crackas. 
Nigguhs are more interesting and fun.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 3:12pm

Some weekday drama

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 3:27pm
Interesting topic !

I grew up around blacks and what not. Never ever looked up to or desired to be like whites don't even want to be bothered by them.

I love my colored peoples from all over the world.

However, I learned that you can never satisfy people. If I say I am Cuban then I am denying my blackness. Never figured that one out ....Wacko

Posted By: binky622
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 3:30pm

I seen this too and they are almost militant (not sure in your case)

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 3:39pm
I'm often confused by racist black or white christians who believe they have a heavenly hope.
Do they believe their heaven will be as segregated as their churches?? Stern Smile

Posted By: chatnoir
Date Posted: May 14 2013 at 6:20pm
I grew up and went to school in mostly black/Latino (NYC) and mixed (LA County, SoCal) neighborhoods.

I ain't idolized no one, esp not yts, although I have had and still do have good friends, both black and yt.

Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by binky622 binky622 wrote:

I seen this too and they are almost militant (not sure in your case)

Mmmmm not really militant lol. Just acted like white people were the weird exotic animal in the zoo...

Not exotic as in interesting but exotic as in weird and to be avoided.

Honestly, the most militant black people I've met always tend to be the biracial (white + black) ones. We have this one "uncle" (not by blood) who's super light and is often mistaken for being Jewish...he used to remind me of Cliff Huxtable's father on The Cosby Show. He HHHHHAAATTTEEEEDDDD white people, but his mom was white. Confused

Weirdest thing I've ever seen!

Posted By: rayrayxox
Date Posted: May 15 2013 at 1:16pm
I grew up around black people for the first 18 months of my life.
Then only white people after that.
In my school there isn't much of a race issue I was well received. There is more of a class and wealth issue. A lot of snobbery. Any kid on a bursary would be damned if this information was leaked to the student audience.

Print Page | Close Window