Print Page | Close Window

Washington Wizard Jason Collins says he is Gay...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=359607
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 12:10pm

Topic: Washington Wizard Jason Collins says he is Gay...
Posted By: Princess_S
Subject: Washington Wizard Jason Collins says he is Gay...
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:04am
*nothing to add, just for the sports fans.

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons.

I've played for six pro teams and have appeared in two NBA Finals. Ever heard of a parlor game called Three Degrees of Jason Collins? If you're in the league, and I haven't been your teammate, I surely have been one of your teammates' teammates. Or one of your teammates' teammates' teammates.

Now I'm a free agent, literally and figuratively. I've reached that enviable state in life in which I can do pretty much what I want. And what I want is to continue to play basketball. I still love the game, and I still have something to offer. My coaches and teammates recognize that. At the same time, I want to be genuine and authentic and truthful.

Jason Collins
Jason Collins played with the Celtics and Wizards this season, his 12th in the NBA.
Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images

Why am I coming out now? Well, I started thinking about this in 2011 during the NBA player lockout. I'm a creature of routine. When the regular season ends I immediately dedicate myself to getting game ready for the opener of the next campaign in the fall. But the lockout wreaked havoc on my habits and forced me to confront who I really am and what I really want. With the season delayed, I trained and worked out. But I lacked the distraction that basketball had always provided.

The first relative I came out to was my aunt Teri, a superior court judge in San Francisco. Her reaction surprised me. "I've known you were gay for years," she said. From that moment on I was comfortable in my own skin. In her presence I ignored my censor button for the first time. She gave me support. The relief I felt was a sweet release. Imagine you're in the oven, baking. Some of us know and accept our sexuality right away and some need more time to cook. I should know -- I baked for 33 years.

When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

Replies:
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:05am
LMAO @ the chosen picture!

Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:06am
Good for him

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:08am
Kudos to him! It will be interesting to see how the NBA and players respond to him.

Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

Kudos to him! It will be interesting to see how the NBA and players respond to him.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:11am
his story is very well written and he sounds smart. and i sent the link to my friend so that he can be put on...i want them to date.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:18am
cool story bro

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:19am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

his story is very well written and he sounds smart. and i sent the link to my friend so that he can be put on...i want them to date.

LOL

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:21am
wasnt john amaechi openly gay too?

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:21am
no idea who this man is.
but yayyyyyy for him.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:23am
i really dont think the nba is homophobhic

and i think some people will probably say there a few dozen more in the league that arent not public knowledge but known to team mates etc

i'll wait for randoms input

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:25am
Dennis Rodman should come out .
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=nlNjbR-JnH5_yM&tbnid=7X88k3Cc1bF1wM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgreatest-people.com%2Fdennis-rodman.html&ei=iZ5-UbfHEbit4AO_ioD4CA&psig=AFQjCNGTQSOLgODE2CK5S7ONTNolDdjXeA&ust=1367339017342020" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:34am
I'm sure the teammates are well aware and don't care......

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

yep

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:39am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

exactly

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:41am

Posted By: Cocoa
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:41am
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Dennis Rodman should come out .
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=nlNjbR-JnH5_yM&tbnid=7X88k3Cc1bF1wM:&ved=0CAgQjRwwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgreatest-people.com%2Fdennis-rodman.html&ei=iZ5-UbfHEbit4AO_ioD4CA&psig=AFQjCNGTQSOLgODE2CK5S7ONTNolDdjXeA&ust=1367339017342020" rel="nofollow">

Rodman has been all the way out...
He may not have said the words but the above picture is a full on parade out the closet.

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:46am
Yoooo Tatee, that cover is dope!

Posted By: binky622
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:46am
I am tired of this. heterosexuals don't come out and announce I am heterosexual; what you do in bed is your business.  

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:48am
but they dont have to.

they are not made to feel... who they have in bed is something to be ashamed of.

homosexuals dont have that luxury.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:49am
rodman looking like shaniqua from d-boy wives

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:51am
Good for him!

That took a lot of courage. I can't imagine feeling like I have to hide and suppress who I am, and I wish more people didn't feel like they had to.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:57am
Originally posted by binky622 binky622 wrote:

I am tired of this. heterosexuals don't come out and announce I am heterosexual; what you do in bed is your business.  

because the world inherently assumes you to be hetero

Posted By: Joseph_Sun
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:04pm
its more shocking he been in the nba for 12 years.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:06pm

think you're missing the point
it's sad that people have to come out because they feel ostrisized and otherized
if that were not the case nobody would ever have to "come out." they could just BE. the way heterosexuals are. but gay people have to explain their sexuality because homosexuality is not normative

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

wasnt john amaechi openly gay too?

I was just about to say John Amachi doesn't count Jason?LOL

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:14pm
YAY!

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:15pm
didnt JA come out.. when he was retired?

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:17pm
....this is why people still have to "come out" in industries that traditionally haven't accepted gays.

re: to John Amachi coming out

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/04/5696496.jpg" rel="nofollow">NCAA Football: Western Kentucky at LSU

LSU Tigers running back Alfred Blue made headlines when he made some homophobic comments to the Daily Reveille after they asked how he would welcome a homosexual player on the roster. Most people are accepting these days and think before they speak, but Blue made some very questionable comments that make him look bad in the media.

These are the comments from Blue that raised some eyebrows:

“Football is supposed to be this violent sport — this aggressive sport that grown men are supposed to play. Ain’t no little boys out here between them lines. So if you gay, we look at you as a sissy. You know? Like, how you going to say you can do what we do and you want a man?”

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:23pm
ok i just read that JA did come out after he retired.
coming out years after you are done is not the same thing as coming out while you are still playing IMO. 

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:28pm
He's gonna get a sh!tload of endorsements now.

Just watch and see...

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

coming out years after you are done is not the same thing as coming out while you are still playing IMO. 

Word that's true, but I'm still reluctant to seperate him from Amachi, all things considered. He didn't start this conversation as his piece stated. This convo has been had before. He's not the Jackie Robinson of gay major sports athletes.

What he is, is a 34-year old center at the very end of his career that is a free agent. I seriously doubt he ever plays another minute in the NBA. The timing of this seems very opportunistic.

Not that I'm against it. I think the timing is also appropriately opportunistic given the discussions that have been centered around sports and homosexuality. I just see the difference between him announcing this during a playoff push with Boston last year and annoucing it on the doorsteps of retirement. Even before this, I doubt anyone was going to sign him. We'll see if that becomes another storyline this summer.

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:36pm
"I hate gay people. I let it be known. I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people, so yeah I'm homophobic." I'm sorry, that sh!t is hilarious to me! I can't stop laughing! He was just so open with his hate. He is just a terrible person, and he doesn't even feel bad about it.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

He's gonna get a sh!tload of endorsements now.

Just watch and see...

I think so too. If not endorsements, speaking opportunities and maybe a gig somewhere with ESPN or TNT after no one signs him. He's an old washed up center that was traded as an expiring contract this season. He's a free agent. He's not on a team. What team signs 34-year old centers that average 1 point a game?

He knew when the right time was for him to do this exclusive Sports Illustrated cover story.

Posted By: binky622
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

think you're missing the point
it's sad that people have to come out because they feel ostrisized and otherized
if that were not the case nobody would ever have to "come out." they could just BE. the way heterosexuals are. but gay people have to explain their sexuality because homosexuality is not normative

I understand it, just tired. I dont care what they are just do your jobLOL

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:42pm

i remember when he came back 'home' some years back, he said his coaching staff and a 3/4 of his team knew and respected his privacy

but yeah not the same thing

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Word that's true, but I'm still reluctant to seperate him from Amachi, all things considered. He didn't start this conversation as his piece stated. This convo has been had before. He's not the Jackie Robinson of gay major sports athletes.

What he is, is a 34-year old center at the very end of his career that is a free agent. I seriously doubt he ever plays another minute in the NBA. The timing of this seems very opportunistic.

Not that I'm against it. I think the timing is also appropriately opportunistic given the discussions that have been centered around sports and homosexuality. I just see the difference between him announcing this during a playoff push with Boston last year and annoucing it on the doorsteps of retirement. Even before this, I doubt anyone was going to sign him. We'll see if that becomes another storyline this summer.

yeah niccuhs watched necessary roughness and thought oh sh*t, let that be me now!

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:45pm

true... but in my mind.. we are getting closer and closer to the jackie robinson of ghei athletes.. lol

1.its gotta be someone in their prime.
NO shade to this man.. but ive never heard of him before this thread.. lol

with JA.. it was way after he was done.
with this guy.. its right before he's done.

maybe next time.. its gonna be a youngin' who just got that ugly gaudy championship rang.. lol

the money will come rolling in for this guy tho.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:45pm
they're talking about him in the shower now

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:46pm
damn it AFRO.. dont bring my show into this.. lol

i luvvvvvv me some Terrence King. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 12:52pm

didnt JA come out.. when he was retired?

I first read thi as JA= James Avery...LOLLOLLOL Im sorry James..

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 1:01pm

true... but in my mind.. we are getting closer and closer to the jackie robinson of ghei athletes.. lol

1.its gotta be someone in their prime.
NO shade to this man.. but ive never heard of him before this thread.. lol

with JA.. it was way after he was done.
with this guy.. its right before he's done.

maybe next time.. its gonna be a youngin' who just got that ugly gaudy championship rang.. lol

the money will come rolling in for this guy tho.

Word.

Steve Francis should have went ahead and announced he was gay back when he was an superstar. Everyone knows him and Cuttino could have been a power couple.

It was so funny when Steve got traded to the Magic with his "best friend" Cuttino and they shined together leading the Magic to a great start. Steve was having his best season in years. And then the Magic traded Cuttino, Steve went into a depression and the Magic missed the playoffsLOL.

I mean it sounds like even the coaches knew they were "together."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-01-10-magic-kings-trade_x.htm" rel="nofollow - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-01-10-magic-kings-trade_x.htm

Clearly affected by the trade of his friend, Francis struggled through Monday's 119-101 loss to the Celtics in Boston. Francis picked up his ninth technical foul early in the first half. He also wore a No. 5 sweatband on his biceps as a tribute to Mobley.

But Weisbrod feels that Francis will benefit from the trade. When the two played together in Houston there was a feeling in the Rockets organization that the two guards needed to be separated. Weisbrod admitted that that assessment hastened his decision to make the trade. He said he did not consult Francis before making the trade.

"I truly believe that Steve and Cuttino being apart, being separated is in the best interest of both of them," Weisbrod said. "Steve will be a better player for it and when they get past the emotion of being together for six years that will shine through."

"They've been together for a long time and they like one another but that doesn't necessarily mean that their games are ideally fit for each other. We're trying to get Steve into a totally new way into playing basketball, in a five-man outlook. And that becomes difficult when you have someone that you are so accustomed with. Sometimes with his familiarity Cuttino it was a bit of a crutch for him."

Steve was never the same after he got separated from Cuttino. Fell off athletically and retired like 4 seasons later. Ish was the first gay basketball love story. But alas, neither one of them decided to come out.

http://theassociation.blogs.com/the_association/francis-mobley.jpg

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 1:02pm
yes, he's nearly at the end of his career but some enterprising team will sign him for a year and turn this into gold. I can see Mark Cuban making it work. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 1:08pm
lmao @ the two 'mo's playing together...

yeah like Lebron needs to come out..i dont think he's gay but it needs to be someone of his level

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 1:20pm
RT,

they knew

they def knew bout steve francis

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 1:37pm
you go Jason

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 1:39pm
so the guy with the piercings and the make-up isn't gay? 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 2:33pm
Damn RT. Mobley/Francis story sounds like it could be made into a good movie.Clap

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 2:35pm
Do people really care anymore?
You gay....so?

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 2:48pm
yes ppl care...

mikewallaceagentstake

These is always that one idiot who has to try and steal someone else’s shine. I’ve been saying for years that celebrities should not be allowed have twitter accounts. Many of them just don’t know what to do with them. There is a publicists pulling their eyebrows out RIGHT NOW over the mess that is about to ensue after Pittsburg  http://www.funkydineva.com/nfl-player-mike-wallace-post-homophobic-tweet-after-1st-nba-player-comes-out-of-closet/#" rel="nofollow -

Mike Wallace better prepare for a bumpy right because the gays and their best friends, the people over at PETA are about to roast that a$$ for this tweet:

mike-wallace-wallace17_dakid-on-twitter-1

When are folks going to learn that Twitter is only good for restaurant coupons and bantering about reality television shows. Twitter is NOT the place to ask questions or impose your views on the world. Ha! I’m sure Mike Wallace is probably sitting in the coaches office as we speak. Considering all the gay rumors that have plagued former  http://www.funkydineva.com/nfl-player-mike-wallace-post-homophobic-tweet-after-1st-nba-player-comes-out-of-closet/#" rel="nofollow - http://www.funkydineva.com/kordell-stewart-once-caught-sucking-dck-in-park-now-readies-himself-for-gay-marriage/" rel="nofollow -

Naw Bitch! Don’t try to clean it up now. Say what you mean, mean what you say, and stand firm in ya word while you walkin in your talk! Ha! Let’s just sit back and watch how this one plays out…

Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

When I was younger I dated women. I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue.

Well, I'm glad he decided to stop wasting women's time.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 2:53pm
Mike Wallace plays for the Dolphins.

Posted By: TiffanyinTX
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 3:21pm
All these rich gays such as Anderson Cooper making it seem like gays live such a charmed life but for poorer lgbt people their perspective on being of a different sexual orientation is totally different.

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 3:29pm
Good for him! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 3:45pm
Mike Wallace tweets reminds me of some BHMers in some threads.

'I'm not bashing anyone...I just think person A is dumb'.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Do people really care anymore?
You gay....so?

where do u live? you get a vaginal O and you stopped making sense

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 3:57pm
I kinda agree with Sang. People treat being gay like the new fashion trend around here. If somebody came out the reaction would be, "Oh, you too?" I think it's only important because the people themselves make it so dramatic, but that could be my personal surroundings speaking.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by SimplyPut SimplyPut wrote:

I kinda agree with Sang. People treat being gay like the new fashion trend around here. If somebody came out the reaction would be, "Oh, you too?" I think it's only important because the people themselves make it so dramatic, but that could be my personal surroundings speaking.

I really don't think so.

that neanderthal sent out that tweet as if being gay is this elusive, exotic lifestyle he's never had time to digest.  i can understand a 12 yr old boy sending that tweet but a grown man with life experiences?  it shouldn't be a big deal but that type of casual comment shows that it is.

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 6:36pm
Some people are wondering why this is a big deal?? seriously??? Didn't we just have a thread where a family gave their teenaged daughter up for adoption BECAUSE she is gay? Though sadly some fools will automatically think since the guy is gay that he wants them. Just because he's gay doesn't mean he wants you! He probably has standards and taste. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 6:44pm
Y'all know bhm lives in lala land
If it doesn't affect them, it doesn't exist/isn't a big deal

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 6:47pm
smh.. so slow all da damn time.

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 6:56pm
Jason Collins

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 7:26pm
There were whispers about Penny Hardaway and Jaleel White aka Steve Urkel.  They supposedly made a sex tape. 
I also remember hearing about Charles Barkley partying with Urkel when he got busted for a DUI a couple of years ago. 

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 7:56pm
Quote The first relative I came out to was my aunt Teri, a superior court judge in San Francisco. Her reaction surprised me. "I've known you were gay for years," she said.

:dead3:

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 8:15pm
not interested in his story unless he has a messy ex willing to spill all the tea like that football playerLOL

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 8:20pm
This reminds me....maybe I should "come out" to my dad Geek

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Quote The first relative I came out to was my aunt Teri, a superior court judge in San Francisco. Her reaction surprised me. "I've known you were gay for years," she said.

:dead3:

Cry

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 8:46pm
Good for him! Clap

Despite what they may think about the issue, I hope he doesn't receive any ignorant backlash from his coach and teammates. Just accept him for who he is. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:54pm
Smh

Chris Broussard: Jason Collins Is ‘In Open Rebellion To God’ [VIDEO]

http://newsone.com/date/2013/04/29/" rel="nofollow -
http://newsone.com/2424710/chris-broussard-jason-collins/" rel="nofollow - -

UPDATE 12:12 A.M. EST: Chris Broussard issued the following statement:

Today on OTL, as part of a larger, wide-ranging discussion on today’s news, I offered my personal opinion as it relates to Christianity, a point of view that I have expressed publicly before. I realize that some people disagree with my opinion and I accept and respect that. As has been the case in the past, my beliefs have not and will not impact my ability to report on the NBA. I believe Jason Collins displayed bravery with his announcement today and I have no objection to him or anyone else playing in the NBA.

ESPN statement on Chris Broussard’s comments on today’s Outside The Lines:

“We regret that a respectful discussion of personal viewpoints became a distraction from today’s news. ESPN is fully committed to diversity and welcomes Jason Collins’ announcement.”

Speaking on ESPN’s Outside The Lines, Chris Broussard declared that Jason Collins, the 34-year-old  NBA center who came out as gay, is in “open rebellion to God” for living an openly homosexual “lifestyle,” reports http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/04/29/1937181/espn-broussard-jason-collins/?mobile=nc" rel="nofollow - Think Progress .

As previously reported by http://newsone.com/2423556/jason-collins-nba-gay/" rel="nofollow - NewsOne , Collins becomes the first pro-athlete of any sports organization to come out as gay — something that apparently upset Broussard so much he had to gay-bash him for the world to see:

Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly, like premarital sex between heterosexuals. If you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits. It says that, you know, that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, whatever it maybe, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. So I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I don’t think the bible would characterize them as a Christian.

See Broussard’s full remarks below:

Here’s the thing, Broussard: This conversation is about Collins’ truth, not your bible.

No one cares about your self-righteous judgement or to whom you pray. No one cares about your scriptures or fraudulent piety. And no one cares that you’re so draped in Christian hetero-normative privilege that you can’t see straight.

Maybe, Broussard, you should have kept your Jesus in the closet. How’s that for equality?

And to Collins: Congratulations, sir.

One day manhood won’t be measured by vagina count and announcements won’t be necessary. And when that day comes, you will know you helped pave the way for a more inclusive society.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:02am
I like Chris Broussard .
He is one of the best in his field.

I'm fine with what he said.

Collins has had a lot of support today and that great but there are dissenting opinions.

I don't believe a chris Broussard was trying to be disrespectful but he was open and honest about his own opinion and his convictions.

He did nothing wrong.
Damn everyone has to hop on the liberal bandwagon?

As long as Chris isn't trying to take this mans liberty away then everything is cool.

Collins should be free and open about his sexuality.
And so should Chris Brossard about his beliefs.

Both have that right

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:09am
Here's the thing. He's an ESPN magazine journalist/NBA analyst not a random male off the street giving ESPN his personal opinion. IMO he should have kept it professional and not brought in his own personal religious beliefs on the subject.

This would have been sufficient:
Quote I believe Jason Collins displayed bravery with his announcement today and I have no objection to him or anyone else playing in the NBA.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:09am
People acting like Chris said something incendiary .
He didnt say Collins was disgusting or tried to take away his liberty as a person.

Ppl need to chill

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:13am
IA jones.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:13am
I would need to hear the question asked to him.
Collins coming out had nothing to do with his job either.
Him being homosexual was personal and an intimate thing he disclosed to the public of course you're gonna get intimate feedback.

Idk it really wasn't bad.
I doubt Chris is gonna get fired.
He's too good at what he does. I hope not.

Collins got released today.
I don't think the announcement was related but idk

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:14am
i wonder how Broussard can be such a staunch Christian and stand to analyse players who frequently engage in premarital sex but claim to be Christian.  When Lebron James holds a prayer circle or mentions the Lord, does he pop up to remind him that he can't be a Christian since he is a sinner who popped off multiple babies out of wedlock?  I don't even know why he was asked that question or why he'd feel the need to answer it.  I don't think it really has any business in the discussion.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:21am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i wonder how Broussard can be such a staunch Christian and stand to analyse players who frequently engage in premarital sex but claim to be Christian.  When Lebron James holds a prayer circle or mentions the Lord, does he pop up to remind him that he can't be a Christian since he is a sinner who popped off multiple babies out of wedlock?  I don't even know why he was asked that question or why he'd feel the need to answer it.  I don't think it really has any business in the discussion.

I do, because they knew his stance ,and wanted to make controversySleepy

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Free agent huh?  Good timing niccuh.  Now somebody has to pick him up or the NBA is a bunch of bigots.  You know why you don't know who he is?  Because all that matters is buckets.  And buckets ain't his thing.  

I wonder how his twin brother feels about all this. They both went to UCLA didn't they?  I can't even think of where he plays either.  Somewhere where ain't nothing happening.  

NPR made a a statement something like this:  The average age of NBA players is 27.  Millennials (ages 18-32) don't really care about people's sexual preference.  Some 70% polled don't GAF.  But it's the owners and coaches that are older.  The players as evidenced by their tweets are supportive.

Good for you though dude.  I respect your hustle.

It was a reaction to a major announcement.
People very publicly gave support .
He didnt.

And none were out of line.
There are plenty acts of violence and meanness everywhere and maybe Broussard has opinions about that too.
But this was a major announcement and he gave his own reaction to it.
Had he had said oh this is a joyous occasion and its awesome no one would have pulled that oh that's unprofessional line.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:23am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

I do, because they knew his stance ,and wanted to make controversySleepy

True

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:24am
And that openly gay kicker hoping to be drafted by the NFL thought he was going to ride the "first" train if he got picked up.  My dude said Ain't gon be no firsts.  I been here.  I need a job.  LOL

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:25am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

It was a reaction to a major announcement.
People very publicly gave support .
He didnt.

And none were out of line.
There are plenty acts of violence and meanness everywhere and maybe Broussard has opinions about that too.
But this was a major announcement and he gave his own reaction to it.
Had he had said oh this is a joyous occasion and its awesome no one would have pulled that oh that's unprofessional line.

i don't really think what he said was wrong...i just think it wasn't necessary...he should've respected the fact that it was a big personal hurdle.  IA with what CC said up top...also with F8, definitely for controversy.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:25am
lol Wonderland, now you know good and well Broussard is looking the other way with certain rebellions against God.

CB keeping personal opinion out of the professional discussion would have been, well, professional.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:26am
So you can speak for it but not against it?

Yeah I don't agree with that

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:28am
All of this has been personal though. So Collins can come out as gay but Broussard can't have opinions about it? Well as long as it isn't negative.

Yall not looking for professionalism yall wanted him to go along with the rest and say it was great.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:28am
Good for him, I don't care who's in his bed.
I don't understand why he should get so much praise about his personal life.

Obama called to congratulate him? I really think this type of thing is given too much attention.
I don't judge people by their sexual orientation, I don't care either way.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:31am
And for my personal opinion on it, good for him. I think he will get a lot of support and I'm glad he came out and can be himself. Must be tortuous pretending to be what you're not

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:31am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

So you can speak for it but not against it?

Yeah I don't agree with that

No, he can say whatever he wants.  no one has to think it's great or even remotely okay.  he just would've shown better character if he had not used the platform to demonize the homosexual community as if that's not the reason players don't come out in the first place.  it just seemed like poor taste to me.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:34am
Outside the Lines has a different set up than the other sports shows anyway. It talks alot about social issues.

This was different than Sportscenter

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:36am
Imo ijs fwiw, he can say what he wants as irrelevant as it may be but as a professional speaking on national TV, he should have kept that personal opinion to himself and stuck to the story at hand.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:38am
Talking about a controversial social issue on a show focused on social issues in sports with a known religious NBA reporter about homosexuality.
Espn please.

In a 2009 article Chris Broussard expressed his feelings on this subject and he has not changed. ESPN set this up. IA

You don't go on Outside The Lines to talk X's and O's

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:46am
I'm watching NBA on TNT discuss it. Discussing if would you be okay working around certain sinners but not others. Adulterers? People who stole? People who have not paid paid student loans(lol)? I think they were reading BHM.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:51am
that man can say whatever he wants.
and ppl have the right to say whatever they want about him.

the line of freedom of speech never stops. 

soooooo let him say whatever tackhead argument he pleases... but when others react to it... let them be free as well. 

Posted By: dede0122
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:52am
I watched Shaq on TNT he said Collins is a stand up guy but slipped up and said he wasnt that talented. I Dont know who's worse him or Barkley

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:52am
Of course. Ain't nobody stopping anyone's free speech. There will be actions and reactions and it won't ever end.

I love it

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:53am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I'm watching NBA on TNT discuss it. Discussing if would you be okay working around certain sinners but not others. Adulterers? People who stole? People who have not paid paid student loans(lol)? I think they were reading BHM.LOL

LOL  what a coincidence...and he has a hard on for Lebron James so, i like the picking and choosing.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:55am

LOL  what a coincidence...and he has a hard on for Lebron James so, i like the picking and choosing.

How is he picking and choosing? Otl did a show on this particular subject matter. Petition Otl to do a show about not being kind and brotherly and ask Broussard you would probably get a response on that too...

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:57am
He never said he disliked Collins so him liking Lebrons game doesn't mean he doesn't have issues with Lebrons life style.

And as yall say it would be unprofessional to speak on it. Right?

But put him in the right setting and maybe he would

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:04am

lol

I wish I was a fly on the wall when he runs into Magic Johnson on the set. Awkward!LOL

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:16am
Well golly he did. Imma leave this right here for anyone who says he picking and choosing–_–

"... Personally, I don't believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you're openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that's a sin. If you're openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that's walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:39am
f*ck all that bible sh*t. The world would be a better place without religion or these snooty judging ass "christians".

Anyway...I'm hungry Disapprove

Print Page | Close Window