Print Page | Close Window

Asian American Frat @ UCI does Blackface

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=359534
Printed Date: May 22 2018 at 11:37am

Topic: Asian American Frat @ UCI does Blackface
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Asian American Frat @ UCI does Blackface
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:08pm
to imitate Jay Z in the Suit and Tie video. Funny that they felt a suit was all they needed to become Justin Ermm

So many fails in this video

Originally posted by <font color='#0000FF'>http://blog.angryasianman.com/2013/04/oh-hell-no-blackface-in-asian-american.html#more rel=nofollow</font> - AngryAsianMan http://blog.angryasianman.com/2013/04/oh-hell-no-blackface-in-asian-american.html#more rel=nofollow - AngryAsianMan wrote:

]

Oh Hell No: Blackface in Asian American fraternity video

This is the kind of stuff that makes me shake my fist at the sky and wonder why the hell I ever bother... Over the years, I've seen an abundance of racist idiocy involving fraternities, from http://blog.angryasianman.com/2013/02/you-were-not-invited-to-kappa-sigmas.html" rel="nofollow - racist ragers to http://blog.angryasianman.com/2009/03/hate-crime-attack-at-ucsb.html" rel="nofollow - hate attacks . This is not necessarily a frat thing, so much as it is a dumbass-dudes-doing-dumbass-things-together thing. The latest incident comes from UC Irvine, and it involves an Asian American fraternity.

Oh yes, we Asian Americans are most certainly not immune to perpetuating our share of racist ignorance. The brothers of UCI's Lambda Theta Delta recently posted a http://youtu.be/4bEz9RTsie8" rel="nofollow - video (at 0:55), in which a member is seen performing in blackface. Like it ain't no big deal. I don't care about good or bad intentions, or why this video was made -- this is some ignorant sh*t, and the people responsible need to know it.

This is a mirror version of the original video, which was taken down. Amidst the furor, someone uncovered another instance, seen in Lambda Theta Delta's http://youtu.be/C2Y7-jqNwJk" rel="nofollow - 2012 Rush Video , of the fraternity engaging in more racial mockery. This Facebook post outlines the racist media, and the ensuing actions taken by members of the UC Irvine community in response: https://www.facebook.com/notes/patrick-chen/anti-blackness-at-uc-irvine-possible-trigger-warning/10151408843695922" rel="nofollow - Anti-Blackness at UC Irvine .

It's one thing for all-white fraternity to engage in behavior like this. Hell, it's rarely a surprise when you see it... because the precedent has been set many times over. But an Asian American fraternity? That's almost personal. It makes me want to drive the distance to Irvine and shake the stupid out of somebody. And when this goes down at a school like UC Irvine, where Asian Americans comprise over 50% of the student population -- and African Americans make up just under 3% -- it throws back the curtain on the larger, more troubling issue of marginalization on campus.

This is a time to take action and stand in solidarity with African American students in response to this incident. I've said this before: we know what it's like to be on the receiving end of racial mockery, only to face complete apathy -- both from within and outside the APA community -- when we try to speak out. Don't let that happen.

For more on this, follow updates on the Asian Pacific Student Association at UC Irvine's https://www.facebook.com/APSAIrvine" rel="nofollow - Facebook page .

Replies:
Posted By: Brownsugar1
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:10pm
*sigh*

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:30pm
fawk those chanks.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:33pm
Colleges really don't do enough to punish these frats, sororities and other organizations that hold racist parties.

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

fawk those chanks.
omg-- i spit a lil!!

gangnam style looking ass morons.

Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:37pm
look at all this ignorance... it just begets more ignorance smh

Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 9:39pm
smh.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

fawk those chanks.
omg-- i spit a lil!!

gangnam style looking ass morons.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 10:11pm
Lol. Their video sucks.

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 10:36pm
Given the school I am not at all surprised!

Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 10:42pm
Yea, I'm not surprised that this happened at UCI either

Irvine is only the most Asian city I've ever seen in Life

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 12:07am
They make the whole UC system look bad and I'm ashamed the school let this happen. They all need to get in trouble.

Posted By: sache1991
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 1:49am
Asian dudes are soo cheezy.LOL

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 4:23am
UC Irvine?

Um, yeah.  To be expected.

Posted By: Queenbeeach
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 5:54am
This is why I don't *&%^$#@Es with Asians, they align themselves with white people more than any other ethnic minority. 

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 7:24am
University of California and its affiliates,

We, the Black Student Union, will no longer stand for the continuous disrespect of our community.

How many of our freshman will have to move out of their dorms due to racial harassment?
How many times will we be disrespected and demonized for asking questions in class?
How many times will we be spat at and have trash thrown at us while walking to the ARC?
How many times will we be called “Brotha Man” outside of Albertsons?
How many times will we be publicly embarrassed and harassed at campus bus stops?

In 2011, our campus allowed Pippin Commons to host a chicken and waffles dinner “in honor of” Martin Luther King Jr.
In 2012, Pi Beta Phi felt it appropriate to give a “Once you go Black, you never go back” award.
This year, Alpha Phi and Phi Psi felt it appropriate to decorate a fraternity paddle with the words “slave driver” and “little slave” on it.
This week, Lambda Theta Delta felt it appropriate to use Blackface in multiple promotion videos.

Although it is easy to cite Greek organizations as perpetrators of racism, this is not a Greek issue. This is more than that. It is also more than an individual issue. This is a UC system wide issue, and ultimately, a world-wide issue. AntiBlackness and racism is reproduced within each UC campus, whether in the form of nooses at UC San Diego or Ku Klux Klan hoods in UC Davis.

What all of these actions have in common is a lack of respect, a lack of accountability, and a disregard of particular students’ well being on campus.
Because these actions (not to mention the more mundane and less publicized forms of violence) continue to occur despite repeated outcry for justice, apologies are no longer enough. It has never been enough, and it will never be.

We, the Black Student Union, will no longer stand for this.
We demand that WHEN (not if) another incident of organized racism occurs on this campus, official punitive policies will be utilized and in place to address the perpetrators.

We will repeat- the Black Student Union, will no longer stand for this.

While there is racism, we will not rest.

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 7:57am
Fck them they suffer from little dick sickness anyways and ya can't tell me they don't, I got one at my job who thinks he's a "brutha" I had to check a couple of weeks ago and bring him back to reality.....fck them

Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 8:50am
Didn't I say that that there is nothing that Black women (and men) can do to get non-Black ppl to respect and accept us because it is not our actions that they detest the most... it is us?

You can't even work hard on your studies or at you r job without encountering some ignorant ish like this, its ridiculous

But this is how non Blacks prefer it to be. They want Blacks to be intimidated and suffer from being at the bottom of the totem pole so that we aren't competition. Make no mistake that where we are with all of our social, economical, financial woes is where society wants (and planned for) us to be. All the more reason why our community needs to get our sh*t together

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 9:46am
I so these are American Asians? Why would they do this? What were they trying to do? proove?

Posted By: Carmensworld
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Didn't I say that that there is nothing that Black women (and men) can do to get non-Black ppl to respect and accept us because it is not our actions that they detest the most... it is us?

You can't even work hard on your studies or at you r job without encountering some ignorant ish like this, its ridiculous

But this is how non Blacks prefer it to be. They want Blacks to be intimidated and suffer from being at the bottom of the totem pole so that we aren't competition. Make no mistake that where we are with all of our social, economical, financial woes is where society wants (and planned for) us to be. All the more reason why our community needs to get our sh*t together

I wish I could carry your brain around in my pocket so I could lend it to some of these fools LOL.

Posted By: Carmensworld
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 10:09am
Asians are such try-hards. Captial S-A-D!

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 10:12am
I want to make a racist post regarding the effects of breathing in Nail polish since birth .  Repents  .Unhappy

Posted By: sache1991
Date Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 10:36am
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I want to make a racist post regarding the effects of breathing in Nail polish since birth .  Repents  .Unhappy

ClapHug

Print Page | Close Window