Forum Name: Twists
Forum Description: General Discussion on Twists
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=359466
Printed Date: Oct 20 2018 at 9:31pm

Topic: Softest fiber
Posted By: LadyAradia
Subject: Softest fiber
Date Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 6:55am
I am thinking about trying waist length jumbo twists for a minute as a protective style but I know I will take them out if they feel hard and scratchy on my skin. SO I need to find a really SOFT feeling fiber. I think it was the regular kanekalon jumbo braid that felt really scratchy on my skin years ago.

Which fiber feels really SOFT? 

Look Im going for

ALSO I am hoping to find a fiber that is really shiny so it does not look like fabric or yarn.   
I think I read TOYOKALON is really soft? does anyone know?  So I want a silky SOFT shiny fiber to match my hair......

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE Embarrassed 

PS To make matters worst... I will need a color like#8 and #16 look in human hair colors

I dont like the brassy orange 27 or 144 synthetic color

Replies:
Date Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 8:11am
I think I found one that is promising
would have to be 4/27
it says Soft touch and also they have a # 24 in reg jumbo... so i guess i have to mix them

Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 5:45am
thanks to Femmemuscleisback's advice.... I will NOT be getting these since they will only  pull my hair  out. Seems they should not be called a protective style at all!

Date Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 4:07pm
I AM GETTING SENEGALESE TWISTS after all a year later I learned they are really light weight compared to box braids.LIKE THIS BUT BLONDE!

Doing it myself. Totally doing it this time Big smile
classic length, loose & wavy half way down like this sort of

Just waiting for my hair this color  to get here and it is ON!

it is Not #27 Don't  like orange
It's  #24 Natural blonde. I may put a few strands of #613 Platinum only at the  hairline . I also have a sunny yellow alcohol ink to give it all more of a sunny glow in case the fibers are a lil too ashen in tone.

I plan to spray  it all daily w/ water, glycerin & olive oil.
Twists are  really light weight compared to box braids. I pray it works out  and this might be my signature styleSmile

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 8:06am
A FEW UPDATES:
I put in 2 rows last night and went to bed. 
First I blowdried the kanekalon with denman brush to take out the crinkles and make it shinier. I also put a lot of coconut oil on it. After putting it on my head, however, it still looks and feels dry.  It also tangled a LOT. I think I lost about 1/2 the hair to tangles so far as I tried to section off little pieces.

On a good note, it does not feel heavy at all, even though it hung  to my crotch. I cut off a few inches already to bring it up to tailbone length LOL I am hoping some sort of oil will make it feel moist and lubed because I want to boost up the shine on this fiber a bit more  (it still looks DULL like a fiber instead of like shiny hair) and also drench it in oils so I can continue to keep my hair lubricated like I did when I just wore buns.  I am still trying to grow my real hair.

I have not been able to attach using the invisible twist method at the root yet. It keeps slipping with my hair. So I have to start it off with a braid so far and then twist after I am about an inch down. I will work on getting the invisible twist to work to start the hair today.  In general, I am having problems with slippage all ready. The large ones are like 1/2 inch off the scalp. So I have to make them skinnier and start with a braid on my hair.  I am still going to try to wave up the ends. So I only twisted half the way down the strand, and then stopped by doing 3 slip knots to keep it from unraveling.  I will try to put it in  groups of big braids with flexi rods on the ends in boiling water and oil when I'm finished to see if I can get a shiny, wavy look on the unbraided  ends. 

I will have a total of 5 bags of Sensationnel Braid Now in color #24, one pack of Xpressions in 613 and one pack of Xpressions OMB 4/27/613 (tipped). This blend of colors is a pretty good impression of frosted blonde hair! It just looks dull, and tangled like a fiber at this point. Hopefully the boiling of the ends will help with that. I wish I could have done this with human hair or a shinier fiber.
The other half of my hair should come today. I will be back at it all day today. Thumbs Up

PS: Darn it!  I just found this wavy synthetic braid online

Model Model Glance Synthetic Braid - SOFT WAVE
This texture would have been PERFECT for the look I am going for! They even have a P27/613 which would be close enough to my colors. If this works out, I will have to get this hair next time!

Date Posted: Mar 11 2014 at 4:29pm
So unfortunately, I could not leave the ends loose with this hair because it was too tangled. So I am twisting it down to the ends now. My last 3 bags of hair did not come today! So I have to wait another day or so to twist up the top of my head. LOL 

Oh my Curls Passion Fruit Curl Control Paste helps a  LOT with the slippage and in general makes it look more groomed. Thanks MomentoIndigo for that hint Hug
also found http://halifaxhair.com/collections/synthetic-braiding-hair
This hair looks Really GOOD TOO!
Model Model Super wave

Date Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 5:13pm
It is all on my head now,thick, blonde & tail bone length, large twists. Reminds me of blonde dreds. Embarrassed 
Very pseudo tribal look meets Bo Derek Thumbs Up 
Now to get used to the new look! It will make life more interesting this month & I am so glad I tried these Senegalese twists for a little bit of fun & excitement! Tongue LOL

PS: If I do it again, I do want to use Model Model Super wave braid hair So I can leave it loose & wavy half way down.

Posted By: book worm
Date Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 10:18pm
How long did it take you to finish?

Date Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 1:23am
The first day I spent at least an hour getting  the  feel  of how to braid them in and then switch  over  to  twisting . After that , I really  finished  most of  the  head the  2nd day within  about 5 hours. Yesterday I finished off the crown in about  2 hours. So I guestimate about 9 hours total.
If you start practicing Friday  night , you will definitely be finished  before Monday and probably by Saturday evening . I just had to wait on 3 bags of hair to come in  the mail. It was fun!

Date Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 9:00am
The X-pression Ultra braid hair tangles the most. Their color OM 4 27 613 is ash brown at the roots fading to platinum at the tips, kind of like her braids
So that color is kind of nice but their tangling really  sucks.

The Sensationnel Braid Now hair tangles a lot less and generally feels a tiny bit finer when blown straight. Their  color #24 is beautiful and PERFECT for natural medium blonde hair.
However , both tangle way  too much to leave any ends  loose.

Based on the reviews  of Model-Model Super Wave, I will look for that locally so I can use it next month . unfortunately, I will have to dip them in an Adirondack Alcohol Ink to try to get the colors more acceptable. Their 27/613 is closest but it is really Orange and White streaks of hair.Confused I want soft, muted shades of yellow/gold. So I need to darken the white 613 streaks to a pretty shade of blonde. If possible I would also like to tone down their harsh Orange version of 27 to have more of a gold cast also. Maybe a mixture of their colors Sandal and Lake Mist inks will accomplish both out of the 27/613 fibers for me.

This video shows how to dye synthetic hair with these alcohol inks.

Here is another video of the Model Model/ Freetress Super wave hair I want to use next

Date Posted: Mar 13 2014 at 10:48pm
Don't tell me X-press ion tangles the most! Man! I just bought 5 packs of that hair

Date Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 3:07am
If you twist all the way down, you can't tell once it's all twisted up & you dip the ends in boiling water to seal them. X-pressions is the most recommended hair by youtubers for this, so you're OK.  I was just hoping to leave the end open & I need Model Model for that.
But you're still good w/ X-pressions Thumbs Up
PS: It tangles less actually if you just use it straight out of the pack without the coconut oil and blowdrying straight first.  I maintain it with a daily spray of basically S Curl moisturizer spray with extra olive oil in it. But I make my own. I use water, vegetable glycerine, and olive oil in a spray bottle. 
So it's all good. Good luck and let me know how yours turns out!Smile

Date Posted: Mar 14 2014 at 12:42pm
My finished results!!!
TaDAAA!

The ends are unwinding because I did not seal them yet.

Date Posted: Mar 15 2014 at 9:07pm
Trying to find a source for wavy kanekalon in #24 for next month.
Wish me luck Smile
ps maybe I'll do them much smaller

Date Posted: Mar 17 2014 at 10:46pm
Good job! I will be doing mine Friday. I'm excited!

Date Posted: Mar 18 2014 at 6:27am
Clap please post pictures! Smile

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 1:09am
I am feeling a little anxiety already with my hair locked away. I can't wait for this month to be over so I can take it loose and pamper my hairs again LOL 
I long to lather them in soothing conditioners and oils lavishly. I just can't get to it in these things. Although I like the length this provides, I feel a little trapped or claustrophobic with this on at times. Let me go have a drink to try to get through it LOL

Date Posted: Mar 20 2014 at 11:43am
I dunked my head in the tub, conditioned and then sprayed the braids with my water, oil and glycerine mix. I felt a lot less separation anxiety from my hair after an intense moisturization session Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 6:44pm
Darn... unfortunately, I am having problems with my twists. The ones in the back were like an inch off the scalp already.(slipping) when I took them loose to redo them I noticed knots and tangles in my hair that required me to cut the knots out. Darn I love my hair like this, but unfortunately I will probably take them out within a week or so to avoid further knots and loss of hair Confused

Date Posted: Mar 22 2014 at 7:57pm
PLEASE HELP
I really want to keep my hair in twists. If anyone has any hints as to how I can wear this without it eating up my hair with mats and knots on frizzy biracial 3b hair.... PLEASE TELL ME what I can do to make this work without distroying my hair.

UPDATE I really got freaked out when I had to cut several inches off of my tips last night in order to detach the fiber from the tips of my hair. The braids had slipped down an inch from the roots. That slack all tightened up the twisting of my tip ends into the fiber. So at the bottom of my hair it was knotted on several braids.Ouch I lost several inches off the tips of several braids. With my hair already being quite thin, this is noticeable. If I had thick, bushy hair, perhaps no one would ever notice. Unfortunately I do not.

I THINK, the back may have slipped so much because i did not put the Curls passion fruit curl paste on that part because it had not come in the mail yet when I started on the back the first day. The twists in the front with this jam on my hair seem to be fairing better. So, I put ample amount of the curl paste/jam on the strands I retwisted last night. I will keep my fingers crossed that adding the paste to the braids in the back will 1) help with the slippage and 2) help to protect my ends from knotting up into the kanekalon. I really want these twists to be a regular part of my hair image from now on until I grow my own hair to below waist length. In fact, I already planned that I want to do them very skinny and closer together next time. So I am praying that this will actually work out and not chew up the ends of my hair that I am working so hard to grow. Stern Smile

Date Posted: Mar 23 2014 at 8:00pm
I've got things resolved w/ more jam. This is what I'm going for next month

Date Posted: Mar 30 2014 at 6:26am
I've  ordered my " hair " Ladies! Looking  forward to my next braids

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 12:14pm
I don't like how this kanekalon feels like straw even though I spray  oils and aloe on it.
Anyways, I ordered my next hair from China which is 10 bags of a synthetic deep wave. It is some curling iron safe fiber that is supposedly not kanekalon nor toyokalon.

I LOVE how it looks so much like human hair. I hope it feels softer than this that's on my head now.
I will let you know when it gets here 
I was going to get Model Model Super Wave but it only comes in orange not gold. Still haven't decided if I  will do latch hook leaving out my edges and the part, individual tree braids, or just micro braids with loose ends and using a large waving  iron on the braids at the root. I am leaning toward the last one. So this should be interesting.

I actually love these micro twists

Thinking about leaving the ends loose with something like this but using a waving iron on the twists at the roots. Will have to try it on a few and see how it looks and how it holds.  (Think the micro braids would hold better but I think they can be really hard to remove safely)

Date Posted: Apr 01 2014 at 4:15pm
So in preparation for my new do, I redid some of the large Senegalese twists in the front of my head as micro Senegalese twists today. I did this to 1)get an idea of any breakage,2) to get a feel for wearing micros and how they will look on me and 3) get a feel for how the health of the hair will compare with micro twists as opposed to with large twists.

We will see Smile
WO!!! These twists take the cake!

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 1:13pm

After changing some of   my twists to  micros, I realized it makes  my hair  look too thin, scalpy and  skimpy. So I will have to keep the twists  kind of like the size this girl is wearing at least around the face so my hair is thicker looking and frames the face better. It feels more NATURAL like my real hair with them thinner. But it is not as attractive on the face and features  IMO.

Thinner in the bottom, back and sides.But they must have more hair on each one as they approach the face for my tastes

Date Posted: Apr 02 2014 at 9:00pm
My hair leaves China tomorrow . yeah!
I want  to let my hair  down  & pamper it for a week in between 
My hair  will  get  lots of  soaks in  the tub,  lots of conditioners,  yogurt, bragg liquid  aminos, lots of coconut milk  and LOTS of OILS with  GHE overnight.  I can't wait  to feel my hair again!!! Tongue
Next up, this look

Can't wait to take this kanekalon out. I  don't  like this  particular  fiber at all! It looks and feels  very  wiry even though I  blowed it  straight  and  oiled  it all  the  time.

Products I will need for my rebraid:

Curls Curl Souffle Medium Curl Styling Cream (1st to moisturize each strand of  my  hair before braiding)

Curls Passion fruit curl control paste (2nd to seal and give grip to  each  strand of  my  hair before braiding)

Wet-N-Wavy Curl foam mousse (for  the synthetic hair)

Date Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 1:41pm
I am FREE!! I  have my hair back and i'm doing deep conditioners!
I  hope my hair  comes soon.  Now I  feel  naked.

PS  Although I  am certain that I may lose more hair by doing this than just keeping my hair oiled in a bun and GHE, I will  do this at least once  more. I am  allowing myself to enjoy the freedom of having a different hairstyle just for a bit to see if I can make it work. It may cost me  a little thickness  and a few inches but I will chance it....If I  can  only find a decent  SUPER SOFT braiding  hair!
Yeah! I've got my hair's tracking #. They made the  batch just for me. I hope they got the specs right.

Today I round brushed it  to assess any damage from Senegalese twists. I must say it looks fine in the front! The length in the back looks wretched bc I did have to cut a few inches off in spots due to knots. So between that and relaxer  on the tips, I am due a trim which will take me back up to BSB if I trim that much off... I will wait on that trim.

I think the only reason I got 3 knots in the back was because I did not put any jam (Curls passion fruit control paste) on the hair in that area. SO, it looks like I can do  Senegalese twists  as a protective style while  I grow out!!!  
Clap

Date Posted: Apr 05 2014 at 10:46am
The hair I am waiting on from  China is supposed to be heat safe hair not kanekalon or toyokalon. I hope it is like metrofem organics heat safe synthetic hair.

Theirs seems really nice
http://www.hairtekatl.com/

Date Posted: Apr 08 2014 at 2:25pm
The synthetic  hair came from China. It was a too dull  beige version of my color and too tight a kinky curly pattern. SO, I dipped it in boiling water and the weight of the hair in boiled water elongated the curl of the synthetic "hair" from  a kinky spirally coil to a loose water wave like  I wanted  ideally. 
Then,   I put some of the Adirondack Sunny yellow acrylic ink into a little bit of rubbing alcohol and sprayed it on the "hair" to give it more of a golden sunny,  yellow glow instead of looking dull beige  blonde.   The "hair" looks totally different and very nice now. It is an excellent dupe of human wavy hair in soft golden color #27... (only after I expertly doctored it) .   It is drying hanging in the tub now. Tomorrow I will start my new thinner Senegalese twists with loose wavy ends! I sprayed vegetable glycerin, shea butter, water and oil on my hair to seal in moisture. Tomorrow, I will  twist it applying generous amounts of the Curls passion fruit curl control paste on all of my strands prior to twisting.
Smile
PS: Oh, and the heat tolerant "hair" from  China is much softer than kanekalon!

Date Posted: Apr 09 2014 at 4:20pm
I really like this new curly, synthetic hair. It is  so SOFT! I  love it!
I am doing  these as micros. Did 1/4 of my head, got tired and called it quits for the day. This may be a long job!  I will do them more scalpy in the back to make it go by faster.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 7:25am
A 3 day job Embarrassed 

Date Posted: Apr 11 2014 at 3:05pm
gosh this is taking forever !Finished !

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 2:31pm
OK well I took out the micro twists at exactly 10 days! I really wasn't feeling this last install. I liked the Jumbo Senegalese a lot though. So back to bunning my natural hair, oiling my scalp with growth aids frequently, massaging and inverting to try to get to MBL or WL 

Print Page | Close Window