Print Page | Close Window

We may never get it....

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354594
Printed Date: Dec 10 2018 at 6:31pm

Topic: We may never get it....
Posted By: pattigurlatl
Subject: We may never get it....
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 6:22pm
but descendants of Africans all over the world deserve reparations.

Do African-Americans Deserve Reparations for Slavery?

The issue of reparations for slavery is a divisive one in America. While a  http://law.jrank.org/pages/10314/Slavery-REPARATIONS.html" rel="nofollow - 2002 opinion poll found that 67 percent of African-Americans supported monetary reparations, only 4 percent of whites agreed. If whites were to compensate African-Americans for their centuries of servitude, how much would it cost? According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparations_for_slavery" rel="nofollow - Harper’s Magazine , the United States owes African-Americans over $100 trillion  in reparations, based on 222,505,049 hours of forced labor between 1619 and 1865, with a compounded interest of 6%.

Is there precedent for such an action?  Since 1951, Germany has paid an estimated http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-11-22-israel-germany_N.htm" rel="nofollow - $25 billion in reparations to Israeli Holocaust survivors. 

But let's not kid ourselves into thinking the United States will follow Germany's lead.  Whites here are much more comfortable with the idea of  spending http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/11/13/hidden.war.costs/index.html" rel="nofollow - $1.3 trillion to torture and kill dark-skinned people in Iraq than they are with using that money to recompense the descendants of the slaves who helped build our nation.

Admittedly, a $100 trillion payoff in a country with a GDP of http://flagcounter.com/factbook/us" rel="nofollow - $14.2 trillion is nigh impossible.  At the very least, an apology would be nice. But even that proved too much to bear for the http://law.jrank.org/pages/10314/Slavery-REPARATIONS.html" rel="nofollow - 70 percent of whites who opposed last year's formal apology for http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/29/AR2008072902279.html" rel="nofollow - slavery.

Affirmative Action?  This is yet another sore spot for whites, http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1307" rel="nofollow - 74% of whom oppose  giving some racial groups preference for private sector jobs to increase diversity.

Whites support the status quo and no wonder, it has been very good for them these last 500 years.

But here is the way I view the situation: life is like the game of Monopoly. African-Americans were not even allowed to play until 1865 and then for the next hundred years whites let them roll the dice but not collect their full $200 for passing Go or inherit the money in the middle for landing on Free Parking. Today African-Americans are free to buy anything they wish; only they are unable to afford much given whites 400 year head start.

monopoly_board

The effects of slavery and Jim Crow reverberate today in the disparity between white and black wealth. According to the http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/general/2002-08-30-black-savings_x.htm" rel="nofollow - Consumer Federation of America , median household wealth among blacks is less than a quarter of that of whites and http://www.ia.ucsb.edu/pa/display.aspx?pkey=1556" rel="nofollow - eighty percent of African-American children begin their adult lives with no assets whatsoever.  But according to http://open.salon.com/According%20to%20some%20researchers,%20as%20much%20as%2080%20percent%20of%20the%20wealth%20people%20accumulate%20over%20the%20course%20of%20their%20lifetimes%20actually%20begins%20as%20a%20gift%20from%20a%20relative,%20he%20added.%20That%20gift%20can%20come%20in%20the%20form%20of%20a%20down%20payment%20on%20a%20first%20home,%20a%20college%20education,%20or%20an%20inheritance%20from%20a%20parent%20or%20grandparent." rel="nofollow - Melvin Oliver , co-author of Black Wealth/White Wealth, "That's not the case for white kids. If they don't have financial resources in hand, they have access to them through their families. Most black kids don't have that available to them."

Oliver goes on to add that "as much as 80 percent of the wealth people accumulate over the course of their lifetimes actually begins as a gift from a relative. That gift can come in the form of a down payment on a first home, a college education, or an inheritance from a parent or grandparent."

You can see this disparity in action when comparing the current occupant of the Oval Office with the prior tenant. Bush used his familial connections to avert financial ruin, then buy the Texas Rangers and finally win the Presidency with a little help from his baby brother. Obama on the other hand had to run a nearly flawless campaign against a clearly overmatched and seemingly senile opponent to win last year's election.

And for those who think racism is no longer relevant, look at the compromises Obama had to make to win the presidency such as speaking out against http://open.salon.com/www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/02/obama-opposes-slavery-rep_n_116506.html" rel="nofollow - reparations and throwing his own pastor the http://www.bilerico.com/2008/03/if_obama_can_throw_his_pastor_under_the.php" rel="nofollow - Reverand Jeremiah Wright under the bus. The compromises continue in the Obama cabinet, which has plenty of room for white mediocrities such as Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. Judging by the racial makeup of the cabinet, there is only one fellow African-American, Attorney General Eric Holder, competent enough to advise our President.

And we call this progress? It sounds like more of the same white mediocrities in high places to me.

If we can afford to spend nearly a trillion dollars bailing out the predominantly white bankers whose greed got us into this recession, what's another trillion to pay back the people who helped build this country through the blood and sweat of their forced labor?

To those who complain that their ancestors did not personally own slaves, I say suck it up.This country would be in more disarray that it is already if we all personally decided where our tax dollars went. Seventeen states fund abortions for poor women. What about all the pro-life people in those states who must fund a procedure they consider murder? And what about the Amish, Quakers and other pacifists currently paying for the wars of the Middle East with their tax money?

To those who contend the paying out of reparations is too complicated, I offer up the Germans who figured out a way to do it.  If the United States of America can put a man on the moon, we can surely figure out a fair way to divvy up reparations.

the-cabinet21

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Replies:
Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 6:32pm
I could use $27 Million.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 6:33pm

-------------

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 6:50pm
FCensoredKERS

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Admittedly, a $100 trillion payoff in a country with a GDP of http://flagcounter.com/factbook/us" rel="nofollow - $14.2 trillion is nigh impossible.  At the very least, an apology would be nice. But even that proved too much to bear for the http://law.jrank.org/pages/10314/Slavery-REPARATIONS.html" rel="nofollow - 70 percent of whites who opposed last year's formal apology for http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/29/AR2008072902279.html" rel="nofollow - slavery.

Yup. This is why Black people stay losing... that and the fact that our generation has self-fish habits and we don't care very much about passing down wealth to the next generation which is why we splurge our money on stupid stuff

Oliver goes on to add that "as much as 80 percent of the wealth people accumulate over the course of their lifetimes actually begins as a gift from a relative. That gift can come in the form of a down payment on a first home, a college education, or an inheritance from a parent or grandparent."

This was my initial turning point from Obama

And for those who think racism is no longer relevant, look at the compromises Obama had to make to win the presidency such as speaking out against http://open.salon.com/www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/02/obama-opposes-slavery-rep_n_116506.html" rel="nofollow - reparations and throwing his own pastor the http://www.bilerico.com/2008/03/if_obama_can_throw_his_pastor_under_the.php" rel="nofollow - Reverand Jeremiah Wright under the bus. The compromises continue in the Obama cabinet, which has plenty of room for white mediocrities such as Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. Judging by the racial makeup of the cabinet, there is only one fellow African-American, Attorney General Eric Holder, competent enough to advise our President.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 6:59pm
i hope this doesn't come off as stupid buuuut would people from the west indies get anything? or would it just be african americans?

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:00pm
I also wonder i you would have to prove if your family was a slave for the full time or would you get partial money if they were freed early

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:05pm
Yes, we deserve reparations.

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:06pm
As soon as I saw the title, I thought "What, reparations?"

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:08pm
No doubt

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:09pm
Even IF African Americans were to get reparations, I doubt it would come in the form of monetary wealth for each individual

More likely to be infused into our institutions and used to build our communities

I think this is something that Black ppl NEED to get entitled enough to demand because, without a shadow of a doubt, our community (despite the fact that "we've" never been slaves) deserves it

Too many Black people are intimidated by the loud voices of disapproving Whites who love to rub it in our faces that they've "earned" their wealth (by preventing others from accumulating theirs) through their "hard work" and "intelligence". The White group of yesterday did what they did so that White people today can live like they live. They need to PAY

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:11pm

The Impact of Slavery on African American Culture

By spigmike

Slavery had an extremely malignant impact on the development of African-American culture. However, this impact was caused several factors, not solely their treatment. The destruction of their previous culture and removal from their heritage, their inability to communicate as slaves, and the impact of slavery after emancipation all negatively affected African-American Culture.Through slavery, Africans completely lost their heritage and previous culture. They were separated from their families, and cultural items such as their drums with which they used to communicate were also taken away. Their original names were ignored, and their master or the person who gave them their new name usually just named them on a whim without any consideration to what their name had been previously or what name they wished to have. As slaves, they weren't allowed to perform African rituals or practice their religion. Everything that had once been a part of their culture was no longer a part of their life.Slavery also disrupted communication between slaves that might have led to the formation of culture during this time period. Slaves weren't allowed to speak in their native languages, and the little English that they knew did not allow them to effectively communicate. Masters also prevented their slaves from learning to read and write, so the potential for them to be able to communicate was severely limited. Because slave owners were afraid that the ability to communicate and intelligence would result in slaves escaping or revolting, slaves were never allowed to learn anything that would benefit them intellectually.Even after slaves were emancipated, slavery has had a constant malignant impact on their culture. Much of their art and music was based on the terrible memories from slavery. Slavery put African-Americans at a racial disadvantage, which has taken them over a century to fight, and they still have not completely overcome this disadvantage. The racism that they have faced has led them to become bonded like an extended family, but this bond is a method of defense rather than an actual cultural bond. The impact of the memories and racism of slavery has caused African-Americans to create a culture based around their defense and overcoming racism, rather than a common religion or common practice.Slavery has left an indelible impact on African-Americans as a whole. Overcoming such an obstacle is impossible, and memories of slavery will always be held within them. The removal of their culture, their restrictions as slaves, and the impact of slavery after emancipation have all negatively affected the culture that they have created.Sources: Kennedy, David, Lizabeth Cohen, Thomas A. Bailey. The American Pageant. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2002.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:14pm
We should get free higher education. Or ATLEAST only have to pay 2/3.

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

FCensoredKERS

when I watch suze orman, I get frustrated b/c these young people have sooo much money. like 250k in liquid they got from inheritances and stuff.

im not surprised at white ppl not wanting to even apologize for slavery seeing as they like to pretend that 'slavery wasn't that bad'...its like they get bitter b/c they feel that we should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and reparations are a handout, when in reality, we didn't even have anything to pull ourselves up by until maybe the past 50yrs.

random thought: white ppl bitch about tax breaks that american indians get and be like, "they don't deserve it, they didn't work for it" Confused I don't think they got an apology either

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:17pm
The racism that they have faced has led them to become bonded like an extended family, but this bond is a method of defense rather than an actual cultural bond.

I like ^this line but everything else he wrote was too vague

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

when I watch suze orman, I get frustrated b/c these young people have sooo much money. like 250k in liquid they got from inheritances and stuff.

I work for a bank and it's sickening how many 18-25 year old white (and indian) kids I see coming through who can't spell, can barely speak properly and who have over $40,000 in the bank and still getting a monthly transfers from daddy's account every month. Like WHY? NO FAIR!

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:23pm
Which is why I don't watch that show!

Censored Not even White people pulled themselves "up by their bootstraps". They had 400 years of legislature that supported them being hired in the best jobs! 400 years + of FREE economic stimulus in the form of slavery. WEALTH acquired by the destruction and THEFT of fertile lands that were not theirs! Their money is not THEIRS!

im not surprised at white ppl not wanting to even apologize for slavery seeing as they like to pretend that 'slavery wasn't that bad'...its like they get bitter b/c they feel that we should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and reparations are a handout, when in reality, we didn't even have anything to pull ourselves up by until maybe the past 50yrs.

random thought: white ppl bitch about tax breaks that american indians get and be like, "they don't deserve it, they didn't work for it" Confused I don't think they got an apology either

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:23pm
They had a 400 year head start, that's why.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

No, have us pay 1/3. America's so great but tuition for 4 years is more than an average American's salary. My tuition is $1,000 a credit plus university fees etc

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:27pm

Even IF African Americans were to get reparations, I doubt it would come in the form of monetary wealth for each individual

More likely to be infused into our institutions and used to build our communities

I think this is something that Black ppl NEED to get entitled enough to demand because, without a shadow of a doubt, our community (despite the fact that "we've" never been slaves) deserves it

Too many Black people are intimidated by the loud voices of disapproving Whites who love to rub it in our faces that they've "earned" their wealth (by preventing others from accumulating theirs) through their "hard work" and "intelligence". The White group of yesterday did what they did so that White people today can live like they live. They need to PAY

This. Also when it's infused into our institutions, theyll still be very hard to get into and cost to damn much for most to attend

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:38pm
Fuk paying anything!! We should be admitted to any graduate and professional school we wish to go to ...and for FREE!!!!! We should also be given monthly stipends as well as a large lump some at the beginning of each academic yearApprove 

I will come up with some other sh*t later...

-------------
Last thing I wanna do is hurt you, but its still on my list..

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:38pm
I sure could use some debt forgiveness at least

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:39pm
Okay, but you would only get a quarter of what the rest of us get Geek

Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

I sure could use some debt forgiveness at least

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:43pm
Censored that! I want 20 acres and a dog at least

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:48pm
You can have the dog and 5 acres... that's the best we can do. Resources are scarce

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:49pm
if reparations  mean pay back, yeah!

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:49pm
Daanngg, I'm half, why cant I get half?

LOLIts cool, I'll marry someone with the full 40 and end up with 25.

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:53pm
YOU HALF!?!

http://www.uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2py40fcjpg.gif

ohmygawd All this time I thought your were a quad
Oops my bad

Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Daanngg, I'm half, why cant I get half?

LOLIts cool, I'll marry someone with the full 40 and end up with 25.

And this is the sh*t I don't want to happen...basic as* white ppl marrying blacks just to get their money... although its been happening and some blacks are dumb enough to actually think its "true" love...

No shade LbConfused

-------------
Last thing I wanna do is hurt you, but its still on my list..

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:55pm
LOL

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 8:27pm
LOL. smh  Cami. Meet me in RT. this isn't the thread for what I want to say. But yeah AA Smile

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 9:17pm
Fucc reparations, I want the white folks that bought us, the africans that sold us and the arabs that scouted us to pay tenfold. Put in all the hard labor and torture that we went through.

-------------

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 9:17pm
Every time a discussion about reparations starts, I always end up pissed off.

I did some digging in my family tree.  My father's father's side of the family haven't been slaves at LEAST since the early 1800s, possibly even earlier.  A white person could argue that since my family hadn't been forced to labor for whites as long as others, that I would be entitled to less.  HOWEVER, what about all of the free black people from whom whites STOLE property?  The commonwealth of Virginia allowed whites to literally walk onto my ancestors' property and kick them out.  That is millions of dollars in potential wealth lost because the STATE sanctioned THEFT against black people.

Whites--especially in the SOUTH did not pull themselves up by their bootstraps to earn a living.  They simply STOLE it from US.

I want my shyt back PLUS interest.

Whites won't apologize for STEALING because they know how wrong they are for doing so.

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Whites won't apologize for STEALING because they know how wrong they are for doing so.

IMO...they won't apologize because they would be admitting that everything they have to this day is because they took it from other peoples. Not due to their own hard work. It would be admitting a corrupt Gov't got them to where they are because of slaving, unjust laws and bias.  If they apologize...it would snowball...and they know it.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 10:52pm
and i'll tell y'all what else....if they were paying moneys for reparations...I bet you will have a whole bunch of white folks tryna claim all their black relatives and Government would put it on black folks to prove that we are "raw" black.  Well lookee here.  Ain't this a shame....the computers had a fucc up and 80-90% of historical records have been "lost".

-------------

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 10:55pm
Honestly I don't want anything from them.

Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

and i'll tell y'all what else....if they were paying moneys for reparations...I bet you will have a whole bunch of white folks tryna claim all their black relatives and Government would put it on black folks to prove that we are "raw" black.  Well lookee here.  Ain't this a shame....the computers had a fucc up and 80-90% of historical records have been "lost".

Shoot, look at how many of them claim to be Native American.  I tell them that if they don't have a card, they can kindly STFU.

-------------

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:47am
I believe that we should be able to attend any institution built on land that slaves worked, for free.  If our ancestors worked that land for free, we should be able to get an education there for free.  It's fair.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:50am
Ash Clap

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:54am
I also think we shouldn't have to pay taxes.  We did not choose to come here.  If they won't give us the money they owe us, then they need to make it easier for us to accumulate wealth the easiest way possible.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:56am
I believe another poster mentioned this but get all "hood" schools up to par with white suburban schools.   I think free quality education would be more valuable to us in this day and age than money.  Money would be blown too easily with nothing to show for it in the next generation.  If reparations are to be had i'd want it to come in the form of free tuition to whatever college your grades can get you into.  Perhaps after you get at least a bachelors you get a cash settlement (40acres and a mule).  The higher your degree the higher the settlement? 

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:58am
Quite frankly, newdiva1, I wouldn't even be mad if one day our educational system were centralized like it is in a lot of other successful nations.  With centralized education, all schools get the same amount of funding and the same education.  All teachers have roughly the same (relatively high) salaries.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 1:01am
our lives are grossly unfair

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 1:12am

Quite frankly, newdiva1, I wouldn't even be mad if one day our educational system were centralized like it is in a lot of other successful nations.  With centralized education, all schools get the same amount of funding and the same education.  All teachers have roughly the same (relatively high) salaries.

Heart

I prefer the no tax and good educational systems ideas. That's a good base.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:15am

FCensoredKERS

This was my initial turning point from Obama

[QUOTE=pattigurlatl]

Most ppl aren't even aware of this...Or maybe they don't even care..

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:17am

LOLCry

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 6:36am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Fucc reparations, I want the white folks that bought us, the africans that sold us and the arabs that scouted us to pay tenfold. Put in all the hard labor and torture that we went through.
Sorry. But don't think that the entire slave industry was the fault of Africa. The fault is them agreeing to the first transactions. After they put laws in place and tried to fight slavery, white business owners rampaged their lands and kidnapped Africans by the hundreds of thousands only to bond them, their children and their children's children for all their living days.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 6:39am

I also think we shouldn't have to pay taxes.  We did not choose to come here.  If they won't give us the money they owe us, then they need to make it easier for us to accumulate wealth the easiest way possible.
I actually agree with this. Tax free lives could tip the scales more in our favor. And it would be a payback of sorts.

And all anyone need now is DNA evidence to prove it. It's how they proved Thomas Jefferson raped his 15 year old slave half-sister in law. But some of his white descendants still deny it.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:07am

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Sorry. But don't think that the entire slave industry was the fault of Africa. The fault is them agreeing to the first transactions. After they put laws in place and tried to fight slavery, white business owners rampaged their lands and kidnapped Africans by the hundreds of thousands only to bond them, their children and their children's children for all their living days.

And weren't the first slaves sold the outcast and criminals of the tribes? I remember reading that somewhere. Don't know if it's true.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

Awwww yall missed my 2/3 reference.............Stern Smile

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:49am
I'm not looking for a handout, I just want equality. Demanding reparations is foolish because it will never happen. 

-------------

Posted By: Ms.Best
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:58am
I think Native Americans are more successful in obtaining various forms of government "reparations" and grants. While doing my scholarship search it was obvious early on that a SIGNIFICANT amount of scholarship money was set aside specifically for Native Americans and their descendents.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

I'm not looking for a handout, I just want equality. Demanding reparations is foolish because it will never happen. 

We don't wan't a piece of the cake....we wan't the recipe. Wink

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

As soon as I saw the title, I thought "What, reparations?"

Really? I thought "get it" as in to understand. Would the title be more appropriate if it said "get them" instead?

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:32pm
Err Africans actually living in Africa deserve reparations just as much. If yall think you have it bad, imagine being in the locales where the white populations decimated, destroyed, and pillaged. 

The US owes the majority of the world an apology, honestly.

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 12:34pm

Like people trying to claim native ancestry to go to school. Schools suggest it to them too and will have everyone trying to find that "cherokee" cousin that they are rumored to have.

-------------
For Black women as well as Black men, it is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others --for their use and to our detriment. - Audre Lord

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Err Africans actually living in Africa deserve reparations just as much. If yall think you have it bad, imagine being in the locales where the white populations decimated, destroyed, and pillaged. 

I totally agree.

-------------

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 2:43pm
What I would like to see will never happen based on human will.
But the day will come when I will see the white nation pay, and that is a day I look forward to every single day.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 2:46pm

Every time a discussion about reparations starts, I always end up pissed off.

I did some digging in my family tree.  My father's father's side of the family haven't been slaves at LEAST since the early 1800s, possibly even earlier.  A white person could argue that since my family hadn't been forced to labor for whites as long as others, that I would be entitled to less.  HOWEVER, what about all of the free black people from whom whites STOLE property?  The commonwealth of Virginia allowed whites to literally walk onto my ancestors' property and kick them out.  That is millions of dollars in potential wealth lost because the STATE sanctioned THEFT against black people.

Whites--especially in the SOUTH did not pull themselves up by their bootstraps to earn a living.  They simply STOLE it from US.

I want my shyt back PLUS interest.

HELL YES!!!!

My great grandfather built a thriving business in North Carolina and owned acres of land in the late 1800s and early 1900s. His land was stolen, his assets were stolen, he was LYNCHED, his family and his employees were terrorized and forced to move off of his property. And on that land those people built a factory which made profits that we've never seen.

And white people think that an annual apology on Capitol Hill is enough. Sadly, a lot of us think it's enough, too, and talk ourselves into the idea that we either don't desrve reparations or would mishandle them.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 4:34pm
Yes...Yes I do, we deserve every drop and more

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Ms.Best Ms.Best wrote:

I think Native Americans are more successful in obtaining various forms of government "reparations" and grants. While doing my scholarship search it was obvious early on that a SIGNIFICANT amount of scholarship money was set aside specifically for Native Americans and their descendents.

for what they have went through, the reparations, or "benefits" are a slap in the face, honestly.

it's not even close to being what they are owed.

neither would we, tbh. no monetary amount would be enough. however, some we should receive some sort of recompense as a start and i'm not talking some half azz "sorry we're not sorry" apology.

however, the process still needs to get started.

those that mentioned higher educational benefits/stipends, i wholeheartedly agree with.

revamping other social services in the US that negatively affect AA (ex. prison system/educational system-including how school funding is calculated and disbursed/CPS-bc black children make up a disproportionate number in foster care, i believe 42%)

that's a good start.

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:08pm

TBH, while it is important, it is a separate issue and it involves more than just the United States, as they were not the only ones responsible--or even the ones primarily responsible for what happened in Africa.  If we were to talk about what happened in Africa, it would have to involve a discussion with the Dutch, the English, the Germans and the Portuguese. 

I'm not trying to say who had it worse, but when I think about what happened in America, on American soil--the free labor, the beatings, the rapings, the experiments, throwing young children into swamps as bait for alligators.  When I think about the lynchings, the stealing of property, the burning of people and their property...when I think of the amount of black people in prisons today, how even after the civil rights movement we are still treated as 70% of a person, when I think or how kids and adults walking down the damn street can get shot by the very people who are supposed to protect us, about how other people come from other countries to America and have the audacity to question why we are so ratchet without ever stopping to think what we have been through and maybe even wonder if we are just tired of fighting, I can't help but to think, the United States of America owes US FIRST. 

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:20pm
I don't think of reparations as handouts.  I think of it as money owed for free labor, pain, suffering and compensation for government-sanctioned STEALING.  I feel like the only way to get people to understand the seriousness of the issue is to hit them in their wallets.  Everything else up until now has just been a bandaid for a gaping wound.  We can't even take proper advantage of affirmative action because whites have managed to gfumble their way around that so we can't benefit, yet accuse us when we succeed.  The government needs to be held responsible and stop with the penny for you, dollar for me bullshyt they have been doing to try and keep us quiet over this issue.  I also wish they would stop trying to trivialize the issue by making us believe we are after handouts.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:27pm

I don't think of reparations as handouts.  I think of it as money owed for free labor, pain, suffering and compensation for government-sanctioned STEALING.  I feel like the only way to get people to understand the seriousness of the issue is to hit them in their wallets.  Everything else up until now has just been a bandaid for a gaping wound.  We can't even take proper advantage of affirmative action because whites have managed to gfumble their way around that so we can't benefit, yet accuse us when we succeed.  The government needs to be held responsible and stop with the penny for you, dollar for me bullshyt they have been doing to try and keep us quiet over this issue.  I also wish they would stop trying to trivialize the issue by making us believe we are after handouts.

Clap
I think that is a huge part of the problem, is that they are seen as something unearned and undeserved.

it seems like the general consensus among white ppl is that (and i'm loosely quoting 'the office' here) "yeah, bad ish happened, but it was a long time ago, so we don't need to talk about it" when in reality, they are still benefiting from that, and getting upset when black people (or POCs) want to rightfully level the playing field.

i wholeheartedly disagree and believe that we are entitled (yes, it is an entitlement) to be compensated.

-------------
have touched.

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:53pm

TBH, while it is important, it is a separate issue and it involves more than just the United States, as they were not the only ones responsible--or even the ones primarily responsible for what happened in Africa.  If we were to talk about what happened in Africa, it would have to involve a discussion with the Dutch, the English, the Germans and the Portuguese. 

I'm not trying to say who had it worse, but when I think about what happened in America, on American soil--the free labor, the beatings, the rapings, the experiments, throwing young children into swamps as bait for alligators.  When I think about the lynchings, the stealing of property, the burning of people and their property...when I think of the amount of black people in prisons today, how even after the civil rights movement we are still treated as 70% of a person, when I think or how kids and adults walking down the damn street can get shot by the very people who are supposed to protect us, about how other people come from other countries to America and have the audacity to question why we are so ratchet without ever stopping to think what we have been through and maybe even wonder if we are just tired of fighting, I can't help but to think, the United States of America owes US FIRST. 

ClapClapClap

-------------
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/trayvonmartin.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 5:58am

Over the four centuries of Portuguese involvement in the Atlantic slave trade, an estimated 10 to 15 million Africans were transported to the European colonies in the Americas. Of these, over 3.5 million were taken to Brazil, many arriving after the growth of the coffee industry in the mid-nineteenth century. Even after the Atlantic slave trade to Brazil was declared illegal in 1850, contraband ‘Black Gold’ continued to be smuggled across the ocean.

The first Africans were herded ashore in north-east Brazil in the year 1538. The decision to exploit imported and unpaid black labour had been prompted partly in response to a Papal Bull of 1537, which forbade the enslavement of the indigenous ‘Indians’ (though this was soon to be totally disregarded), and partly because the African’s more robust constitution, greater immunity to the white man’s diseases and conditioning to hard, physical work in a tropical environment made him more suitable than the native as potential slave material. Besides, the Portuguese were long familiar with the African in the role of chattel.

http://www.historytoday.com/john-geipel/brazils-african-legacy" rel="nofollow - http://www.historytoday.com/john-geipel/brazils-african-legacy

-------------

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:09am

lol!!!

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:23am

Originally posted by Ms.Best Ms.Best wrote:

for what they have went through, the reparations, or "benefits" are a slap in the face, honestly.

it's not even close to being what they are owed.

neither would we, tbh. no monetary amount would be enough. however, some we should receive some sort of recompense as a start and i'm not talking some half azz "sorry we're not sorry" apology.

however, the process still needs to get started.

those that mentioned higher educational benefits/stipends, i wholeheartedly agree with.

revamping other social services in the US that negatively affect AA (ex. prison system/educational system-including how school funding is calculated and disbursed/CPS-bc black children make up a disproportionate number in foster care, i believe 42%)

that's a good start.

This

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:33am
I honestly believe that we can be sucessful without their benifits and reparations.

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:39am
I used to believe that, but then I realized, making it isn't the problem.  Finding a way to KEEP IT without white interference is the problem.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:47am
If they are giving us reparations that's definitely interfering, and if that happened and blacks started doing better they will turn around and take all types of credit for it. That's how I see it

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

If they are giving us reparations that's definitely interfering, and if that happened and blacks started doing better they will turn around and take all types of credit for it. That's how I see it

It's not interfering.  They are the debtors, we are the creditors.  They need to pay back what they took.  Making excuses for them not to pay is simply letting them get away with what they have been doing.

-------------

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

I'm straight on money. It wont change anything. If the government could do anything for me, it would be to find out my family's true last name.

Date Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 9:34am
I'll take money or a piece of land (tax free)

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 3:46pm
The japanese got reparations for World War II.  Why can't we?

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

i hope this doesn't come off as stupid buuuut would people from the west indies get anything? or would it just be african americans?

It's not a stupid question at all. Particularly when it comes to Haiti. The U.S. is DIRECTLY implicated in the state of the island today by REFUSING to recognize Haiti as a nation amongst nations in 1804 and thus effectively blocking trade and progress. There right along there with the French. They didn't want the Haitians niccas giving their niccas any idea. They even invaded us at one point.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: May 07 2013 at 8:31pm

Shoot, look at how many of them claim to be Native American.  I tell them that if they don't have a card, they can kindly STFU.

Just like some "Cherokees", those are the whitest looking "Indians" I ever saw. I just SMH every time I see that mess.

Print Page | Close Window