Print Page | Close Window

Remember the Pressing Comb ?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354484
Printed Date: Jul 18 2018 at 3:40pm


Topic: Remember the Pressing Comb ?
Posted By: india100
Subject: Remember the Pressing Comb ?
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:29pm

History of the Hot Comb

 
446px-Walter_Sammons_hot_comb

Photo provided by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_comb

Many people including myself have believed or assumed at one point in time that Madam CJ Walker invented the hot comb. However, the first known hot comb was actually designed for curly Mademoiselles in France attempting to achieve the super straight and sleek look of Egyptian women in 1845 http://www.sisterswithbeauty.com/2012/02/history-of-the-hot-comb/#_edn1" rel="nofollow - - [ii] . Walker later followed in the footsteps of Malone by creating her own line of hair care products and improving upon the design of the hot combi. Both women became millionaires through the marketing of hair products and beauty techniques.

hot comb

Photo provided by http://shinebeautyculture.blogspot.com/2009/02/annie-malone-millionairess-hot-comb.html

Although today many women debate about the dangers of heat straightening, the invention of the hot comb was actually a safer option for most women in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Prior to its development, black women would slather their hair with oils and iron the hair straight, YIKES http://www.sisterswithbeauty.com/2012/02/history-of-the-hot-comb/#_edn3" rel="nofollow - The amazing thing about this tool is that it is still used today. Many women find it’s straightening abilities to be superior to the modern-day flat irons. Regardless of any personal views on heat styling or hair straightening, this beauty tool is an important part of the African-American hair history and helped revolutionize hair practices in our community.

Did you read http://www.sisterswithbeauty.com/2012/02/the-history-of-african-american-hair-in-its-natural-state/#more-4596" rel="nofollow - pressing

Photo provided by http://naturalsunshine.ning.com/profiles/blogs/how-many-remember-the-sizzling-sound-of-the-hot-comb



-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..



Replies:
Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:35pm
Heck Yeah....still own one


Posted By: cvzx
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:35pm
I have about 5


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:39pm
We still have about one or two. I used to HATE when my mama would have my cousin straighten my hair with one when I was little.


Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:39pm
I hated that thing growing up.  I was so happy when my mom "upgraded" tp the flat iron.


Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:41pm
I still have mine.
 
I remember trying to board a plane with it in my bag.
 
The 'others' couldn't figure out what it was on the screen.
 
They called a brotha from the back and he was like 'it's a hot comb' and rolled his eyes at the 'others' and walked away.  
 
Priceless! LOL
 
They still stood there confused, wondering what a "hot comb" was.  LOLLOLLOL


-------------


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Heck Yeah....still own one
I continue to use mine . LOL

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

We still have about one or two. I used to HATE when my mama would have my cousin straighten my hair with one when I was little.
India will have ears burns just like her mother .LOLLOL

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:43pm
When I was little My Auntie was taking me to a Picnic and pressed and did my hair up so Pretty. Well In my bath I decided to dunk My head under water...

When I got out the tub, She pressed My hair wet and laughed Everytime She heard it Sizzle


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Nisha Nisha wrote:

I still have mine.
 
I remember trying to board a plane with it in my bag.
 
The 'others' couldn't figure out what it was on the screen.
 
They called a brotha from the back and he was like 'it's a hot comb' and rolled his eyes at the 'others' and walked away.  
 
Priceless! LOL
 
They still stood there confused, wondering what a "hot comb" was.  LOLLOLLOL
DeadLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLCry

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:46pm
I had one of those still around. I think i threw it away though. Mine was tore up though. The Wood part closes to the metal was burnt up. lol. I hear pressing natural hair is better than actually flat ironing it. Anyone else can clue me in?

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: Nadiesca
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:47pm
i have one but i dont use it anymore...it got my hair so straight!! i loved it back in the days

-------------


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:49pm
i go to a hairdresser who gives me a hard press...with combs and the flat ones

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:52pm
that damn hot comb!

my mom used to use that on me when i was little, then started using flatirons in middle school. it wasn't until college that I started to press my own hair and i would have traumatic flashbacks and ish. eventually i got over it, but i still cringe a lil when i hot comb those lil hairs in the back and by the ears


-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins


Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:54pm
Haven't flinched since I was a kid when mom used it on me I dreaded those Sundays

-------------


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

I had one of those still around. I think i threw it away though. Mine was tore up though. The Wood part closes to the metal was burnt up. lol. I hear pressing natural hair is better than actually flat ironing it. Anyone else can clue me in?
I Went natural a few years back under my Weaves lol . My hair maintains moisture and growth using my Kentucky PC . I always use a tissue to pass , which makes the hair bone straight without damage . Mama was right lol .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

that damn hot comb!

my mom used to use that on me when i was little, then started using flatirons in middle school. it wasn't until college that I started to press my own hair and i would have traumatic flashbacks and ish. eventually i got over it, but i still cringe a lil when i hot comb those lil hairs in the back and by the ears
LOLClapCry

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

I had one of those still around. I think i threw it away though. Mine was tore up though. The Wood part closes to the metal was burnt up. lol. I hear pressing natural hair is better than actually flat ironing it. Anyone else can clue me in?
I Went natural a few years back under my Weaves lol . My hair maintains moisture and growth using my Kentucky PC . I always use a tissue to pass , which makes the hair bone straight without damage . Mama was right lol .
using tissue? kentucky pc?

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

We still have about one or two. I used to HATE when my mama would have my cousin straighten my hair with one when I was little.
India will have ears burns just like her mother .LOLLOL

LOL Don't do that to poor India. Atleast upgrade to flat iron ear burns!


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

I had one of those still around. I think i threw it away though. Mine was tore up though. The Wood part closes to the metal was burnt up. lol. I hear pressing natural hair is better than actually flat ironing it. Anyone else can clue me in?
I Went natural a few years back under my Weaves lol . My hair maintains moisture and growth using my Kentucky PC . I always use a tissue to pass , which makes the hair bone straight without damage . Mama was right lol .

Using a tissue? Do you use a tissue in the same way like how people pass through their hair with a comb while straightening to make it come out straighter or..?


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

Haven't flinched since I was a kid when mom used it on me I dreaded those Sundays
Sundays were torture days.


-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:10pm
If it burns the paper its too hot.....call it a test press.

-------------
When I read some of the post on BHM.


Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

When I was little My Auntie was taking me to a Picnic and pressed and did my hair up so Pretty. Well In my bath I decided to dunk My head under water... ShockedShockedShocked (My momma would have beat my butt!)

When I got out the tub, She pressed My hair wet and laughed Everytime She heard it Sizzle
 
 


-------------


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

If it burns the paper its too hot.....call it a test press.

I see.


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

We still have about one or two. I used to HATE when my mama would have my cousin straighten my hair with one when I was little.
India will have ears burns just like her mother .LOLLOL

LOL Don't do that to poor India. Atleast upgrade to flat iron ear burns!
Nope . When she turns 13, I plan to Chase her with my Hub around scooter until she sits down for a good old fashion pressing . ApproveLOLCry

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:12pm
When I was younger, I claimed I could 'press' hair. Wink
 
People actually believed me, and I burned so many people's ears. Cry
 
I just wanted to learn. 
 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
One of the people I got was my mom.  I remember her looking at me, saying, "You sure you know what you are doing?" Geek
 
I was like, "Yeah.? Big smile
 
I could see the look of fear in her eyes as I looked over her shoulder at the comb on the stove that was starting to smoke.  I wiped it off with a paper towel and blew on it and hoped for the best. Pinch
 
After doing a few heads, I eventually got good at it though.  Star
 


-------------


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

We still have about one or two. I used to HATE when my mama would have my cousin straighten my hair with one when I was little.
India will have ears burns just like her mother .LOLLOL

LOL Don't do that to poor India. Atleast upgrade to flat iron ear burns!
Nope . When she turns 13, I plan to Chase her with my Hub around scooter until she sits down for a good old fashion pressing . ApproveLOLCry

LOL I feel for that poor child!


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:15pm
I have a permanent burn mark on my forehead from a hotcomb. I was so young and thought i could press my own hair some how some way I burnt my forehead.

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

I had one of those still around. I think i threw it away though. Mine was tore up though. The Wood part closes to the metal was burnt up. lol. I hear pressing natural hair is better than actually flat ironing it. Anyone else can clue me in?
I Went natural a few years back under my Weaves lol . My hair maintains moisture and growth using my Kentucky PC . I always use a tissue to pass , which makes the hair bone straight without damage . Mama was right lol .

Using a tissue? Do you use a tissue in the same way like how people pass through their hair with a comb while straightening to make it come out straighter or..?
I use the Tissue during the entire pass . Only charmin lol to avoid white bits all over.  

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

I have a permanent burn mark on my forehead from a hotcomb. I was so young and thought i could press my own hair some how some way I burnt my forehead.
Hug

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:16pm
What does everyone think about the old fashioned cordless ones that you put on the stove versus the 'newer' ones with the cords?
http://www.amazon.com/Andis-38300-High-Heat-Press/dp/B001BODO2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360375984&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+comb" rel="nofollow">Product Details
 
My opinion: I used both and I like the ones that you put on the stove better.
 
What do you think?
 


-------------


Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:16pm
I remember I snuck and tried to press my hair.....I pressed a whole piece off.......thank gawd it was in the back and I could hide it......LOLCry

-------------
When I read some of the post on BHM.


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Nisha Nisha wrote:

When I was younger, I claimed I could 'press' hair. Wink
 
People actually believed me, and I burned so many people's ears. Cry
 
I just wanted to learn. 
 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
One of the people I got was my mom.  I remember her looking at me, saying, "You sure you know what you are doing?" Geek
 
I was like, "Yeah.? Big smile
 
I could see the look of fear in her eyes as I looked over her shoulder at the comb on the stove that was starting to smoke.  I wiped it off with a paper towel and blew on it and hoped for the best. Pinch
 
After doing a few heads, I eventually got good at it though.  Star
 
What ? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLDead

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Nisha Nisha wrote:

What does everyone think about the old fashioned cordless ones that you put on the stove versus the 'newer' ones with the cords?
http://www.amazon.com/Andis-38300-High-Heat-Press/dp/B001BODO2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360375984&sr=8-1&keywords=hot+comb" rel="nofollow">Product Details
 
My opinion: I used both and I like the ones that you put on the stove better.
 
What do you think?
 
I like the old type with a single stove . The combs will rip your hair out in my op .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:20pm
The one with cord sucks, it just doesnt get as straight IMO, give me that stove top one and some bergamont blue magic all day everyday!

-------------
I Would rather eat crumbs with bums than share steak with snakes-

The token "instigatory thanks" on nonsenical posts always kill me.


Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

I have a permanent burn mark on my forehead from a hotcomb. I was so young and thought i could press my own hair some how some way I burnt my forehead.
Hug
HugHug
 


-------------


Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

Haven't flinched since I was a kid when mom used it on me I dreaded those Sundays
Sundays were torture days.
This RIGHT here!! But getting it washed was SO nice!!

Damn, I wonder what a press & curl would do to my naps today…

-------------
For Bebe88: "Ooooh-- short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but…" - Rev Lovejoy


Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by Nisha Nisha wrote:

When I was younger, I claimed I could 'press' hair. Wink
 
People actually believed me, and I burned so many people's ears. Cry
 
I just wanted to learn. 
 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
One of the people I got was my mom.  I remember her looking at me, saying, "You sure you know what you are doing?" Geek
 
I was like, "Yeah.? Big smile
 
I could see the look of fear in her eyes as I looked over her shoulder at the comb on the stove that was starting to smoke.  I wiped it off with a paper towel and blew on it and hoped for the best. Pinch
 
After doing a few heads, I eventually got good at it though.  Star
 
What ? LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLDead
 
I was only 11 years old, claiming I could press hair, knowing I couldn't. ShockedLOL
 
After 'experimenting' on a few heads I got good at it.  Embarrassed
 
I admit to burning some ears, but I NEVER burned anyone's hair off though.  Big smile
 
Also, I remember the smell.
 
You could walk in a house and tell when someone was pressing some hair back in the day.
 


-------------


Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:27pm
Yikes...every time I pass one of those in the BSS I involuntarily shudder. I remember my mom putting those things on the stove to heat it up when we were little. *shudder* Hair time was torture time for me as a child lol...I literally would cry and sweat my clothes out while she did it.

Hot combs = torture devices to me. I haven't had one of those used on me since I was like 5 and will NEVER own one ever again in my life. Ever ever ever!


-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Yikes...every time I pass one of those in the BSS I involuntarily shudder. I remember my mom putting those things on the stove to heat it up when we were little. *shudder* Hair time was torture time for me as a child lol...I literally would cry and sweat my clothes out while she did it.

Hot combs = torture devices to me. I haven't had one of those used on me since I was like 5 and will NEVER own one ever again in my life. Ever ever ever!
Aww you are missing out . Allow me to straighten your hair when you visit the states . LOL

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:31pm
I have had my ears burnt many of times with that thing.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)


Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Yikes...every time I pass one of those in the BSS I involuntarily shudder. I remember my mom putting those things on the stove to heat it up when we were little. *shudder* Hair time was torture time for me as a child lol...I literally would cry and sweat my clothes out while she did it.

Hot combs = torture devices to me. I haven't had one of those used on me since I was like 5 and will NEVER own one ever again in my life. Ever ever ever!
Aww you are missing out . Allow me to straighten your hair when you visit the states . LOL


Lol...I live in NYC but no thank you ma'am! I'm on the fence about the edge stick, and that has safety teeth lol. It took me a long time to get comfortable with even flatironing my own hair, especially at the nape.

Yet, I've always been comfy with a curling iron and I've definitely burned myself at least 2x on my forehead from a the curling iron slipping out of my hand. Thank God for Palmer's cocoa butter!


-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:38pm
*Remembers to hide my mini me from India and her hot comb when she gets older*

LOL


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:39pm
I thought you lived in Japan lol .^^^^

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

*Remembers to hide my mini me from India and her hot comb when she gets older*

LOL
I already plan her first Session . ClapLOL I will give her a golden one at the baby shower .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I thought you lived in Japan lol .^^^^


LOL

I visit there often, and work a lot with that market...but still living in the US. I wouldn't mind spending 6 mos there. Well in Tokyo at least. :)



-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my aunt was a beautician and her shop was in the back of her house

so my little cousin wanted me to do her hair

well I burned some of her hair off

I tried to tuck it in but you can't hide the smell of burnt hair

she didn't seem to mind though

damn marcel irons and stove
lol

Marcel irons are so good for getting the hair straight. I use to love when beauticians pressed my hair even though it seemed so much thinner after they were done.LOLGeek



-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR



Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I thought you lived in Japan lol .^^^^


LOL

I visit there often, and work a lot with that market...but still living in the US. I wouldn't mind spending 6 mos there. Well in Tokyo at least. :)

OK. I Would love to visit Japan to purchase Art & furniture .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 8:54pm
Oddly enough, Marcel irons don't scare me. But I would only want them used in a professional setting. At home I think I'd be too freaked out lol. 

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:


my aunt was a beautician and her shop was in the back of her house

so my little cousin wanted me to do her hair

well I burned some of her hair off

I tried to tuck it in but you can't hide the smell of burnt hair

she didn't seem to mind though

damn marcel irons and stove
I own ever size , but have no idea how to use one . I Press several children and adults hair in my home when I have time . Good business Today .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: VelvetOne
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 9:26pm
CryTo  Ms V. my old school beautician may she RIP.Unhappy 
What I wouldn't do for an old school press and curl.
Last week went to my weaveologist and she blow dried and curled my hair im sitting here now thinking nope, may have to get weaved back up before the end of March.  Don't like these taking out your weaves break.
   Anddddd don't like the fact that my kitchen has moved to the living room. LOLLOL Im feeling nothing but kinks on my forehead ( I mean real tight curls...)LOLLOLLOL
 
A straigthening comb and curlers for the win!!!!!Clap
 
 


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by VelvetOne VelvetOne wrote:

CryTo  Ms V. my old school beautician may she RIP.Unhappy 
What I wouldn't do for an old school press and curl.
Last week went to my weaveologist and she blow dried and curled my hair im sitting here now thinking nope, may have to get weaved back up before the end of March.  Don't like these taking out your weaves break.
   Anddddd don't like the fact that my kitchen has moved to the living room. LOLLOL Im feeling nothing but kinks on my forehead ( I mean real tight curls...)LOLLOLLOL
 
A straigthening comb and curlers for the win!!!!!Clap
 
 
Thumbs UpLOLCry

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Oddly enough, Marcel irons don't scare me. But I would only want them used in a professional setting. At home I think I'd be too freaked out lol. 
I had one. I thought I looked cute with my 500 degree curls. LOL. Dead


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 10:44pm
I have horrible memories of the hot comb. My mom would grease my hair before she used the hot comb and I would literally hear/feel the sizzle of the grease as she used the hot comb. I cried every time Cry


-------------
yo


Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I have horrible memories of the hot comb. My mom would grease my hair before she used the hot comb and I would literally hear/feel the sizzle of the grease as she used the hot comb. I cried every time Cry

I came here to say this Cry It was always painful...my mother's young white washed ass would say it pays to be beautiful


-------------
cool


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by PurrPoZe PurrPoZe wrote:

Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I have horrible memories of the hot comb. My mom would grease my hair before she used the hot comb and I would literally hear/feel the sizzle of the grease as she used the hot comb. I cried every time Cry

I came here to say this Cry It was always painful...my mother's young white washed ass would say it pays to be beautiful
DeadLOL

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:17pm

I've only ever had my hair pressed once in my life, at around 7 yrs old.
Grandma's friend did it. It didn't burn, hurt, nothing. I went to her with NL hair, left her house with APL hair.
It was a glorious day. Played in my hair ALL day. Went to sleep that night, and woke the next day feeling like Cinderella after the clock struck 12. My hair had reverted back to NL and I was mad. Why didn't anyone warn me?

My 4C hair be like, Who gon check me boo? Heat who?



Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:20pm
I used to overdo heat but since I've been on this natural kick now I'm afraid of it. I still have an electric one though. I prefer flat irons.

-------------
I mean damn can my p**** be tight?


Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:30pm
DP


Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I have horrible memories of the hot comb. My mom would grease my hair before she used the hot comb and I would literally hear/feel the sizzle of the grease as she used the hot comb. I cried every time Cry


Omg, yes!

I would be so scurred then have that hot grease ooze on your scalp.....good times, I tell you, good times!


Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:11am
nyc- mom ouch you burned me
mom-hush its just the grease
nyc-nah im pretty sure that was metal against my head.

shytttttttttt.

but one thing.. between that hot comb n grease.. my hair stayed straight.. no matter how much i sweat. it was straight until wash day.

when i flat iron my natural hair after a good sweat.. im back to afro status. lol


-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.


Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Heck Yeah....still own one
so does my mom...the same one she burnt my ears off with when i was a kid.Sleepy


-------------


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:22am
I remember a piece of my hair reverted on picture day when I was like 7 or 8 after she used the pressing comb to get it straight. It was right before I left to go walk to school and my mom had the ironing board and iron still out. Sure enough, she had me come over and she 'ironed' that piece out. Even she was laughing at herself while she ironed while I was scared I was going to get burned. 

In the end, it actually looked okay.DisapproveLOL


-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR



Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:25am
I got heat damage from a marcel iron last year. Went to some "beautician" I didn't know. Asked her if she put in heat protection and she said yes (probably was more like some type of grease or pink oil, ughhh!) Then I smelled burnt hair. I asked her to tone it down, she said she would. Then the dude with the business next door came rushing in, asking if something was burning in here. From then on, I knew my hair was toast.

-------------
Blackness Is At Stake


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:02am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I got heat damage from a marcel iron last year. Went to some "beautician" I didn't know. Asked her if she put in heat protection and she said yes (probably was more like some type of grease or pink oil, ughhh!) Then I smelled burnt hair. I asked her to tone it down, she said she would. Then the dude with the business next door came rushing in, asking if something was burning in here. From then on, I knew my hair was toast.
Pink oil is bad for any type of hair . Marceli rons are great if the tech knows how to use one . I would have slap her lol .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 10:38am
my gramma used to get my hair straight as sh*t.  I used to fall asleep in her chair when she did my hair.  Even with the best flat irons on the market....they still didn't yield the same results as
 
 
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=k_c6qBaCZ6PZfM&tbnid=-o2N4-G9M0CkkM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tumblr.com%2Ftagged%2Fpressing%2520comb&ei=c3sWUf7HOur-0gGgpoDgCg&bvm=bv.42080656,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNGqfAfrtj_JzB-4JPeu9uNskFibmA&ust=1360514198754959" rel="nofollow">


-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 11:21am
I still have burn marks on my ears. My mother always found a way to me for getting burned, I could have been still as a statue and I think she would have tapped my ears with that hot comb regardless. 



Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

my gramma used to get my hair straight as sh*t.  I used to fall asleep in her chair when she did my hair.  Even with the best flat irons on the market....they still didn't yield the same results as
 

 

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=k_c6qBaCZ6PZfM&tbnid=-o2N4-G9M0CkkM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tumblr.com%2Ftagged%2Fpressing%2520comb&ei=c3sWUf7HOur-0gGgpoDgCg&bvm=bv.42080656,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNGqfAfrtj_JzB-4JPeu9uNskFibmA&ust=1360514198754959" rel="nofollow">


I agree. I have an electric one that I use on my roots, I still want one that you put on a stove. I just can't get with these newfangled, space technology, infrared laser light flatirons nowdays, I feel as though the bad effects won't surface until later. I wish I could find a metal plate flatiron.

-------------
I was here...
I lived, I loved
I was here...
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here...




Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:01pm
i feared the hot comb like a feared the belt/slipper!

My poor ears


-------------


Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 12:42pm
I use a comb to protect ears

the hotcomb newdiva posted looks well seasoned


Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 1:22pm
My mom still has hers, its the one u have to heat up on the stove

-------------
nihoa-zaijan.tumblr.com/


Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 5:24pm
Gosh now I want a professional press

-------------


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 5:32pm
my gramma just tole me to hold my ears. *shrugs*

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

I use a comb to protect ears

the hotcomb newdiva posted looks well seasoned
 
 
 
like a cast iron pan.LOL  they don't work right new.


-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 5:58pm
I hate you for making this thread lol it brings back some good and bad memories but yes yes yes I do remember the hot comb aka the straightening comb ouch

-------------
WHERE is Bucky, and WHAT has he HAD?!?!?!?!
I wan you to call a amba-lance!
and when dey get here I wan you to tell um what-he-has-haaaid!

The Disco God Father


Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

nyc- mom ouch you burned me
mom-hush its just the grease
nyc-nah im pretty sure that was metal against my head.

shytttttttttt.

but one thing.. between that hot comb n grease.. my hair stayed straight.. no matter how much i sweat. it was straight until wash day.

when i flat iron my natural hair after a good sweat.. im back to afro status. lol





this was me every time

-------------
WHERE is Bucky, and WHAT has he HAD?!?!?!?!
I wan you to call a amba-lance!
and when dey get here I wan you to tell um what-he-has-haaaid!

The Disco God Father


Posted By: Marmonette
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:02pm
I remember when my mom put a hotcomb to my head after slathering it in blue magic grease. It was electric.
 
I thought I was fancy because I got to wear my hair half up, half down to school.
 
And she would put in sponge rollers for picture day!


-------------
heyyyyyyyy


Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:05pm
Gurl it's just the heat, aint nobody burning you! CryCryOuch


Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

Gurl it's just the heat, aint nobody burning you! CryCryOuch
My mother use to say that also . LOLCryCry

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..


Posted By: r0ck_starr
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:19pm
Just stop using the one on the stove about 4 years ago when I graduated from high school.


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

Gurl it's just the heat, aint nobody burning you! CryCryOuch
 
 
 
 
my aunt used to say that.LOL  she ain't have gramma's gift.  they say that like the sh*t still don't hurt.LOL


-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 7:31pm
Why yes, I remember the stove pressing comb. I probably still have one around here somewhere.

*rubs ear as the phantom smell of butter spreading over burnt flesh catches my nose*



Print Page | Close Window