Print Page | Close Window

Sex, Shame, and the Superbowl

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354299
Printed Date: Feb 25 2020 at 9:46am


Topic: Sex, Shame, and the Superbowl
Posted By: purpulicious01
Subject: Sex, Shame, and the Superbowl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 2:52pm

Sex, Shame, and the Superbowl

February 4, 2013 By http://www.patheos.com/blogs/duffy/author/elizabethduffy/" rel="nofollow - Elizabeth Duffy

There was something very wrong about the Beyonce act during half-time of the Super Bowl. The thing that was wrong about it was also wrong with http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/02/03/2-broke-girls-super-bowl/" rel="nofollow - a commercial that aired several times during the bowl for a show called Two Broke Girls that featured the main characters of that show performing a striptease , with a pole, licking icing off their fingers, etc. It was also wrong with a “ http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/02/04/bar-refaeli-godaddy-superbowl-advert_n_2614069.html" rel="nofollow - Go-Daddy” commercial in which the model Bar Rafeali , represented the “sexy” side of the business, and a chubby, hirsute male represented the geeky side, or “brains” of the business (the two sides then engage in the most disgusting kiss ever committed to film).

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/barefootandpregnant/2013/02/slut-shaming-and-the-attractiveness-factor.html" rel="nofollow - Calah at Barefoot and Pregnant, has written a very good post called “Slut-shaming and the Attractiveness Factor” about how we should not judge Beyonce’s performance, and women/girls in general, on whether or not we find their behaviors “attractive” or sexy, but rather we should judge the objective morality or immorality of those behaviors:

 

“I do not want my daughter to grow up in a world where the boys and men around her constantly judge her morality in terms of physical attraction. I don’t want her to hear things like, “waiting till marriage is sexy” or “it’s a turn-off when girls smoke”. I want her to hear things like, “your virtue is worth too much to throw away on someone who is not going to commit his life to you.” I want her to hear someone say, “smoking damages your body, and you’re too precious to damage for recreation.” I want her to grow up in a world where men and women talk about issues of virtue and modesty in terms of objective truth, not in terms of sex appeal.”

 

Calah is absolutely right that women/girls shouldn’t be threatened into virtue at risk of appearing unattractive to men. Not only does it provide little impetus for good behavior, it is also a poor school of virtue for girls.

Performing a strip-tease for an international audience that includes millions of people is not wrong because the gal doing it might be deemed “unattractive,” but because it violates a host of objective virtues. It’s a very good point that needs to be made again and again.

Calah also brilliantly points out that if the only reason to behave well is to appear attractive for men, then appearing attractive is also probably a good reason to behave badly, which is why, we might assume, Beyonce’s act played as it did–so that she might appear attractive to the mostly male viewership of the Superbowl.

And yet, there was something terribly unattractive about her show.

To review: Beyonce wore a black leather body suit cut low in the breast, and high at the hip. She wore black thigh high boots. She performed a number of pelvic thrusts that required viewers to gaze on the small triangle of fabric covering her nether-parts, and she spent the entirety of the performance making a very angry face.

By certain objective standards, this was not a beautiful dance. Aristotle says, “a concept of beauty occurs when all parts work together in harmony so that no one part draws unjust attention to itself”

The problem with Beyonce’s performance is that it focused unjust attention on her sexuality. And yet, I suspect the performance did not portray “her” sexuality so much as a sexuality imposed on her, not only by culture at large, but by marketers, choreographers, costume designers–a team of people who had to agree on the image they wanted Beyonce to portray to America during the Super Bowl.

This is where we need to make room in the conversation for shame–not slut shaming, but sexual shame–and our collective lack thereof.

It’s shameful that advertisers and choreographers are so dull, so uncreative, so tired, that performing a striptease is the only move they can think of to appeal to viewers.

It’s shameful that PICS and stripping are such quietly lucrative industries that market researchers are eyeing their profits and saying, “Yes, this is what people want for their money, for their entertainment.”

And yes, it’s shameful that so many people are so desensitized that a nearly naked woman gyrating in a fashion clearly designed to ignite the erotic impulse, cannot get a rise out of certain skeezy parts of the population. I don’t quote Naomi Wolf often, but she did say that in a culture where pornography is ubiquitous, and people are used to viewing air-brushed, unrealistically enhanced figures, “real naked women are just bad PICS.”

I don’t think it’s wrong to say that Beyonce’s performance failed at being sexy. It failed because it was a highly-stylized corporate “concept” of sexiness. It failed because it aired alongside a number of similarly uninspired commercials proposing similar corporate ideals of sexiness. It failed because people who are immersed in pornography find very few things sexy anymore, and because people who appreciate Aristotelian standards of beauty do not want to see anyone, man or woman, stripped of all the balancing characteristics that make them human and truly beautiful, so that they can be objectified as only one thing–their sexuality.

  http://www.patheos.com/blogs/duffy/2013/02/sex-shame-and-the-superbowl/" rel="nofollow - http://www.patheos.com/blogs/duffy/2013/02/sex-shame-and-the-superbowl/




Replies:
Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:40pm
I read the comments and agree that there are some many sexual images of women lately; however, these people are focusing on beyonce simply because she's a black successful woman who does have sex appeal. No one complains over these bachelor/bachelorette shows that are primarily white, and they slob down a diff chick/dude each week or sometimes in the same day.

Now I know if been crying racism lately in things, but I swear that's what it looks like. And if you read my previous comments from months back this is really rare for me..lol
Guess white folks are irritating me lol


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:51pm
The conservatives are coming after Bey's neck for supporting barack...first the inauguration, now this bs. lol

Where was this article when the lovely Madonna graced the stage?


-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

The conservatives are coming after Bey's neck for supporting barack...first the inauguration, now this bs. lol

Where was this article when the lovely Madonna graced the stage?




Thank you..they are getting on my nerves.


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:55pm
Wait...What does Bey's performance have to do with the commercials that aired during the superbowl though. Not like she controlled them.


Posted By: beebeexx
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:56pm
so I guess this is gonna turn into a beyonce thread.
good read though.


Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Wait...What does Bey's performance have to do with the commercials that aired during the superbowl though. Not like she controlled them.


illuminati






























LOL


-------------
You'll be a memory for someone someday. Try to be a good one


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:00pm
So if guys are the problems, and the way guys are judging women is the problem...

raise your damn sons better. while watching the superbowl with her daughter, she could have made it a teachable moment for her son.


-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Wait...What does Bey's performance have to do with the commercials that aired during the superbowl though. Not like she controlled them.


illuminati






























LOL

LOL Of course! I should've known.


Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:04pm
Yea she did alot of cat pumping, go daddy commercials always sluty.


Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

So if guys are the problems, and they way guys are judging women is the problem...

raise your damn sons better
. while watching the superbowl with her daughter, she could have made it a teachable moment for her son.

they dont hear you though. And how about that purity talk for the sons, eh?


-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]


Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:


Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

So if guys are the problems, and they way guys are judging women is the problem...

raise your damn sons better
. while watching the superbowl with her daughter, she could have made it a teachable moment for her son.



they dont hear you though. And how about that purity talk for the sons, eh?


They'll never hold sons accountable


Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

The conservatives are coming after Bey's neck for supporting barack...first the inauguration, now this bs. lol

Where was this article when the lovely Madonna graced the stage?

this is what i've been saying all along, its her association with the President.. raising cash for him, singing at the inauguration period.. they hate him, so now they hate her..Obama is the fault of everything in the world so they say.. its his fault.   


-------------


Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:23pm
Yup--and I wish someone would call them out on it on too.


Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

So if guys are the problems, and they way guys are judging women is the problem...

raise your damn sons better. while watching the superbowl with her daughter, she could have made it a teachable moment for her son.


-------------
https://40.media.tumblr.com/5ba9e0be75128d9fefb41178032b37f9/tumblr_nm5ltoJrGx1skqlxjo1_540.jpg


Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:50pm

Well that Go daddy commerical kiss was disgustingly loud....... Sick

 
They need to leave Bey alone. There is much worse on tv than her gyrating her pelvis around on a stage. I really think this is more about her support of our President. Which has already been mentioned in this thread..
 
 
 


-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!



Posted By: madame pink
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:03pm
“I do not want my daughter to grow up in a world where the boys and men around her constantly judge her morality in terms of physical attraction. I don’t want her to hear things like, “waiting till marriage is sexy” or “it’s a turn-off when girls smoke”. I want her to hear things like, “your virtue is worth too much to throw away on someone who is not going to commit his life to you.” I want her to hear someone say, “smoking damages your body, and you’re too precious to damage for recreation.” I want her to grow up in a world where men and women talk about issues of virtue and modesty in terms of objective truth, not in terms of sex appeal.”

People kill me. Angry We cannot control the entire world. It is the duty of the parent to teach and guide their children so that they can deal responsibility no matter what is going on in the world. All of the things she wants her child to hear is on her as the parent to instill these things. Who the freak cares what Beyonce was doing on stage. It was a freaking act and that's all. People are reading too much into it. If they were siting home watching should have turned the damn tv off.


Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by madame pink madame pink wrote:

“I do not want my daughter to grow up in a world where the boys and men around her constantly judge her morality in terms of physical attraction. I don’t want her to hear things like, “waiting till marriage is sexy” or “it’s a turn-off when girls smoke”. I want her to hear things like, “your virtue is worth too much to throw away on someone who is not going to commit his life to you.” I want her to hear someone say, “smoking damages your body, and you’re too precious to damage for recreation.” I want her to grow up in a world where men and women talk about issues of virtue and modesty in terms of objective truth, not in terms of sex appeal.”

People kill me. Angry We cannot control the entire world. It is the duty of the parent to teach and guide their children so that they can deal responsibility no matter what is going on in the world. All of the things she wants her child to hear is on her as the parent to instill these things. Who the freak cares what Beyonce was doing on stage. It was a freaking act and that's all. People are reading too much into it. If they were siting home watching should have turned the damn tv off.
This

-------------


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:08pm
Yeah the only way she will be able to keep her daughter away from that is to keep her in a bubble for the rest of her life


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

So if guys are the problems, and they way guys are judging women is the problem...

raise your damn sons better. while watching the superbowl with her daughter, she could have made it a teachable moment for her son.
Lamp

But no one wants to deal with that sooo.


-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR



Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:30pm
nita in here dropping jewels n shyt.

i like that


-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.


Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:42pm
Sex sells. Point. Blank. Period.

Thats life. How do u think stripping and being a p0rn star became so lucrative?

 Jenna Jameson is worth $30 million off of being the best in her business at the time and even opened up her own companies off of it. 


-------------
Sons of bitches,smh


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

Sex sells. Point. Blank. Period.

Thats life. How do u think stripping and being a p0rn star became so lucrative?

 Jenna Jameson is worth $30 million off of being the best in her business at the time and even opened up her own companies off of it. 
I think this is a poor argument and let me tell you I'm incredibly liberal when it comes to sex and sexuality.

But studies show that women spend more globally and especially in the US. If women withdrew their buying power the country would fall into 3rd world status.

That being said, we don't influence laws, policies, and even though we influence sales, we don't influence the nature of product and its marketing.  Why? Because even women in power, even women with buying power curry the favor of males. Even women in power hire males before they hire females. Women consider men when men don't consider them.

And so, women cater to the male audience that isn't even concerned about how they spend their money.

This is why sex sells.


-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:01pm
money is king.
and generating revenue is the goal
men pimp women.. women pimp women..
aint no money in pimping mens sexuality.

Thats why Donkey/stallion booty videos are made  

lol


Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

Sex sells. Point. Blank. Period.

Thats life. How do u think stripping and being a p0rn star became so lucrative?

 Jenna Jameson is worth $30 million off of being the best in her business at the time and even opened up her own companies off of it. 
I think this is a poor argument and let me tell you I'm incredibly liberal when it comes to sex and sexuality.

But studies show that women spend more globally and especially in the US. If women withdrew their buying power the country would fall into 3rd world status.

That being said, we don't influence laws, policies, and even though we influence sales, we don't influence the nature of product and its marketing.  Why? Because even women in power, even women with buying power curry the favor of males. Even women in power hire males before they hire females. Women consider men when men don't consider them.

And so, women cater to the male audience that isn't even concerned about how they spend their money.

This is why sex sells.
That is very true. We buy more, men buy more expensive things. I always found that funny. But sadly, anything with the media, sex sells. You put a smart, unsexy woman on anything, a women's magazine, perfume ad, tv show, see how fast it moves. Its not bc its catering to the male audience, its bc women as a whole want to be like those women they see on tv, in magazines, the girls men drool over. Thats why sex sells, bc we WOMEN want to appeal to the men, and it has been like that (shown in diff ways) since the beginning of time. Pick up some of the most popular women geared books or magazines out there, theyre telling u how to get a man. What to wear, what to cook, how to act, even how much money u should make. I mean hell, there's engagement chicken! What to cook for a man to get him to propose pg 228. LOL

Do you know that is one of the top recipes out there? sh*t is almost as popular as Nabisco's Nilla Wafer Banana Pudding thats on the side of the box Stern Smile


-------------
Sons of bitches,smh


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

money is king.
and generating revenue is the goal
men pimp women.. women pimp women..
aint no money in pimping men.

Thats why Donkey/stallion booty videos are made  

lol
No one is disputing that as fact. The problem is that it is unnecessarily systemic and the only people that can change that are women. The reason why they don't IMO is because it is ingrained. It is inline with women who think it's ok to pimp their own daughters. Man comes first.


-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:14pm

meh.



-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy


dacoldesteva


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

Sex sells. Point. Blank. Period.

Thats life. How do u think stripping and being a p0rn star became so lucrative?

 Jenna Jameson is worth $30 million off of being the best in her business at the time and even opened up her own companies off of it. 
I think this is a poor argument and let me tell you I'm incredibly liberal when it comes to sex and sexuality.

But studies show that women spend more globally and especially in the US. If women withdrew their buying power the country would fall into 3rd world status.

That being said, we don't influence laws, policies, and even though we influence sales, we don't influence the nature of product and its marketing.  Why? Because even women in power, even women with buying power curry the favor of males. Even women in power hire males before they hire females. Women consider men when men don't consider them.

And so, women cater to the male audience that isn't even concerned about how they spend their money.

This is why sex sells.
That is very true. We buy more, men buy more expensive things. I always found that funny. But sadly, anything with the media, sex sells. You put a smart, unsexy woman on anything, a women's magazine, perfume ad, tv show, see how fast it moves. Its not bc its catering to the male audience, its bc women as a whole want to be like those women they see on tv, in magazines, the girls men drool over. Thats why sex sells, bc we WOMEN want to appeal to the men, and it has been like that (shown in diff ways) since the beginning of time. Pick up some of the most popular women geared books or magazines out there, theyre telling u how to get a man. What to wear, what to cook, how to act, even how much money u should make. I mean hell, there's engagement chicken! What to cook for a man to get him to propose pg 228. LOL

Do you know that is one of the top recipes out there? sh*t is almost as popular as Nabisco's Nilla Wafer Banana Pudding thats on the side of the box Stern Smile
I guess no matter how much money, and how much education. Women will always put men before their own needs, wants and desires.

I think of Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton, who I both admire...but they put their own aside for their men. That sends a message no matter how you slice it.  And maybe that's the way it's supposed to be.

But if so, then maybe when we see our daughters gyrating on stage for the dollar whether it is in a strip club or on a world stage, we have no room to talk.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:34pm
Who gives a fcuk!!!???!!!

She did her thang and looked damn good doing it.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

money is king.
and generating revenue is the goal
men pimp women.. women pimp women..
aint no money in pimping men.

Thats why Donkey/stallion booty videos are made  

lol
No one is disputing that as fact. The problem is that it is unnecessarily systemic and the only people that can change that are women. The reason why they don't IMO is because it is ingrained. It is inline with women who think it's ok to pimp their own daughters. Man comes first.


Yeah, but theres no "real" incentive for people to do away with these old, possibly obstructive views. 
As long as it generates Money then you can place any old cog in the system (man/Woman/Alien) as long as they continue producing revenue.

I think Wrestling is a good example of this. Typically the woman is this hot babe who's
soul purpose is to look good .. They'll let her wrestle cause 2 girls wrestling is good but she will exhibit every stereotype known to stimulate a males interest physically

On the flip side.. The guys who are the most successful have to play into some sort of Super Macho Gladiator type of role... again this is done to appeal to the larger male audience cause they are the ones spending money.

Women and Men kill themselves to look good for each other

With that said Football has the highest female viewer ship among team sports. I'm pretty sure that the game is appealing but it doesn't hurt (for women I'd think) that these dudes are running around in tights battling to the death like gladiators. These football players are gonna have all sorts of issues neurologically but who cares cause it makes too much damn money!


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:49pm
I do not watch football for any aesthetic or sexual reasons at all.

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I do not watch football for any aesthetic or sexual reasons at all.

I only listen to Beyonce because shes a great singer


Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:53pm
I disagree. I personally felt that entire performance, although a display of overt sexuality was also a display of power. Let's be honest, the entire performance was crafted in a way that not only worshiped Beyonce as its powerful center, but also worshiped the women contributing their talents.

It was a multi-racial all female cast making that magic work and it was great. Beyonce was the main center, yes. But she also passed the spotlight onto that badass female guitarist and her former fellow sisters she performed for many years with as Destiny's Child.

I cannot see that amazing set as some kind of submissive sex show. If anything, I thought it was the complete opposite. Clap


-------------


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I do not watch football for any aesthetic or sexual reasons at all.

I only listen to Beyonce because shes a great singer


She isn't that great of a singer, it does help that she is pretty. Alot of her songs are trash.


-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 6:59pm
men sell sex just as much. the bar is much lower for them so we tend to ignore . usher takes off his shirt and humps air all the time.  
i think the superbowl was a tremendous night for black women. i am not going to fuel all the hate being thrown their way.
wait till lady gaga is invited. i'm all over this thread.  



-------------
shine your light for the world to see


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

money is king.
and generating revenue is the goal
men pimp women.. women pimp women..
aint no money in pimping men.

Thats why Donkey/stallion booty videos are made  

lol
No one is disputing that as fact. The problem is that it is unnecessarily systemic and the only people that can change that are women. The reason why they don't IMO is because it is ingrained. It is inline with women who think it's ok to pimp their own daughters. Man comes first.


Yeah, but theres no "real" incentive for people to do away with these old, possibly obstructive views. 
As long as it generates Money then you can place any old cog in the system (man/Woman/Alien) as long as they continue producing revenue.

I think Wrestling is a good example of this. Typically the woman is this hot babe who's
soul purpose is to look good .. They'll let her wrestle cause 2 girls wrestling is good but she will exhibit every stereotype known to stimulate a males interest physically

On the flip side.. The guys who are the most successful have to play into some sort of Super Macho Gladiator type of role... again this is done to appeal to the larger male audience cause they are the ones spending money.

Women and Men kill themselves to look good for each other

With that said Football has the highest female viewer ship among team sports. I'm pretty sure that the game is appealing but it doesn't hurt (for women I'd think) that these dudes are running around in tights battling to the death like gladiators. These football players are gonna have all sorts of issues neurologically but who cares cause it makes too much damn money!
You're right Ooodles. Football is a great example of it going both way although it does still tilt towards men's opinions and viewership. I do think we're breaking barriers at least in the female and homosexual male viewership with Calvin Klein's first SB ad. I think it is a slow process and maybe women will eventually unbind themselves from the chains that centuries of sexism bound us to.




-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:14pm
Heres a question for you Patty and anyone else:

Imagine that Women some how some way were granted complete and total authority on all things that featured female sexuality(movies/ ads/ TV/ music/ Music videos ect). There would always be a woman who had the final say and there would be some sort of tax that would be implemented where the revenue would go towards female empowerment organizations ect... essentially all the money that is generated now would benefit woman as a whole.

Would you be OK with this hypothetical scenario? 
Good Idea?


Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:14pm
What is her point?

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson


Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:


So if guys are the problems, and the way guys are judging women is the problem...

raise your damn sons better. while watching the superbowl with her daughter, she could have made it a teachable moment for her son.






-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Heres a question for you Patty and anyone else:

Imagine that Women some how some way were granted complete and total authority on all things that featured female sexuality(movies/ ads/ TV/ music/ Music videos ect). There would always be a woman who had the final say and there would be some sort of tax that would be implemented where the revenue would go towards female empowerment organizations ect... essentially all the money that is generated now would benefit woman as a whole.

Would you be OK with this hypothetical scenario? 
Good Idea?
I've never had a problem with sexuality. I have a problem with using it for the sake of the male ego or male dollar when statistics show it doesn't count. It makes us robotic.

If you use sexuality for empowerment, then its all good IMO. As long as it doesn't involve abusing someone of course. But if it is used for financial gaine, IE, prostitution, P O R N...I have no problem with it. Bet even in those industries, it is the male that is catered to...not the women. But when you have books like 50 Shades of Grey and anything Zane writes become best sellers, you have to know we have power and the power is in catering to what we want to see, hear and read.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

men sell sex just as much. the bar is much lower for them so we tend to ignore . usher takes off his shirt and humps air all the time.  
i think the superbowl was a tremendous night for black women. i am not going to fuel all the hate being thrown their way.
wait till lady gaga is invited. i'm all over this thread.  

well not over me because i don't do madonna 2.0.3 rev. 4

she literally is a Firefox update.


-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Heres a question for you Patty and anyone else:

Imagine that Women some how some way were granted complete and total authority on all things that featured female sexuality(movies/ ads/ TV/ music/ Music videos ect). There would always be a woman who had the final say and there would be some sort of tax that would be implemented where the revenue would go towards female empowerment organizations ect... essentially all the money that is generated now would benefit woman as a whole.

Would you be OK with this hypothetical scenario? 
Good Idea?
I've never had a problem with sexuality. I have a problem with using it for the sake of the male ego or male dollar when statistics show it doesn't count. It makes us robotic. 

If you use sexuality for empowerment, then its all good IMO. As long as it doesn't involve abusing someone of course. But if it is used for financial gaine, IE, prostitution, P O R N...I have no problem with it. Bet even in those industries, it is the male that is catered to...not the women. But when you have books like 50 Shades of Grey and anything Zane writes become best sellers, you have to know we have power and the power is in catering to what we want to see, hear and read.

I hear you...
I just wonder who would be the authority on what meets the right "empowerment" criteria ... it would be women but Women aren't one monolithic group...

Its sad to say.. but when you turn something into a business.. theres a point when it reaches a level where higher profit is more important than ethics .

I dont see this changing with women at the helm 



Print Page | Close Window