Print Page | Close Window

Multiple careers?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354244
Printed Date: Jul 19 2018 at 4:32pm

Topic: Multiple careers?
Posted By: sbrownie84
Subject: Multiple careers?
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 8:49am
What do you think of people with alot of different careers or side hustles? Do you think they come across as know it all who are doing too much or as savy business people?

Will you hire a makeup artist/hairstylist/cake decorator/eventplanner/esthetician for the same event? Or would you feel more comfortable with a person who specializes in only one area?

Replies:
Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:03am
I see them as smart and good at planning their time. 

-------------

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:04am
*sigh* no matter what i do i always make time for photography. i just love it....

anyways why would i side eye someone doing their thing? thats silly i would probably just get my own hustle instead of worrying about anyone elses.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:07am
[
[/QUOTE]

cool......that's why I asked. I really needed an honest opinion. I'm not though. I m happy that she is ambitious and determined and confident enough to take on so many tasks.  

I just find her to be a bit 'all about me', but you have to be that way when you are promoting yourself so I understand. :)

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:15am
sounds to me like someone with a career and a good fall-back-on plan

more people should follow suit

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:16am
why poof when you have been quoted?

-------------

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:18am

-------------

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:18am
NO i don't.... if more people had businesses aside from their full-time gigs they won't be so scared(and affected) by corporate layoffs. 

Aside from the "branding and interior decorating" part, her business looks fine to me. If she can offer a photo-shoot and do the photography, makeup and set design in one package then why not? Its called cross-selling and upselling for service based businesses. It happens with product based businesses all the time. Who's walked into Starbucks and ONLY bought coffee. No they might get a muffin or even some mints.

the only people I side eye when it comes to business is people who say they do real estate. its seems to be the default answer to the question: what do you do for a living. Unless you do it full time.... my side eye activates

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:30am
Are we still worrying about other people's opinions in 2013 ?  I know so many people who have a side gig and to me that is admirable.  I wished I found something I love and that is flexible in scheduling.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 9:46am
I am happy to hear of everyone's responses b/c I would hear some people complain about others who do alot of other jobs, but I often applaud people have the energy to do it b/c it is HARD work.  
It takes  lot of time and money and energy to put your eggs in different baskets but it is a risk that always pays off in the end. 

I am venturing into something outside of my comfort zone now and I am worried about how others will view me. I hope it will not take way from credibility as an artist because I am doing other things.  Also by advertising all of the things I do, I hope I wont come across as a know it all who does everything and wont give others a chance to do something.

YOu can not please everyone.

Someone will always have something to say. If I had a good relationship with this person I would hire her for help :) 

Posted By: Finesseful
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:15am
I would think they were smart to not put all their eggs in one basket. Times have changed. Whats good today could be bad tomorrow. One has to have more than one thing goin on.

-------------
Make love, not war.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by sbrownie84 sbrownie84 wrote:

I am happy to hear of everyone's responses b/c I would hear some people complain about others who do alot of other jobs, but I often applaud people have the energy to do it b/c it is HARD work.  
It takes  lot of time and money and energy to put your eggs in different baskets but it is a risk that always pays off in the end. 

I am venturing into something outside of my comfort zone now and I am worried about how others will view me. I hope it will not take way from credibility as an artist because I am doing other things.  Also by advertising all of the things I do, I hope I wont come across as a know it all who does everything and wont give others a chance to do something.

Someone will always have something to say. If I had a good relationship with this person I would hire her for help :) 

I went through this as well. However in order to grow, you have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. It takes courage to step out and start a business...courage that a lot of people don't have. Rest a sure...your circle of friends will change and that's OK. Keep your head high and keep pushing forward.

Date Posted: Feb 04 2013 at 10:53am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

[QUOTE=sbrownie84]I am happy to hear of everyone's responses b/c I would hear some people complain about others who do alot of other jobs, but I often applaud people have the energy to do it b/c it is HARD work.  

I went through this as well. However in order to grow, you have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. It takes courage to step out and start a business...courage that a lot of people don't have. Rest a sure...your circle of friends will change and that's OK. Keep your head high and keep pushing forward.

It's true. ) it is tough. I can even remember times where I faulted other's for their behaviors while running a business until I learned that you have to change in many ways that people may not like in order to suceed. As long as you are not screwing anyone over it is a neccessary move. 

Print Page | Close Window