Print Page | Close Window

Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354124
Printed Date: Sep 22 2018 at 6:19pm

Topic: Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW
Posted By: blaquefoxx
Subject: Was This Discussed...Controversial Painting NSFW
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:34am
Repost???

Newark Public Library displays drawing of slave having sex with white man

by Associated Press | http://thegrio.com/2013/01/22/newark-public-library-displays-drawing-of-slave-having-sex-with-white-man/" rel="nofollow -

Replies:
Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:51am
A slave having sex with white men? That's what they call a picture of a white men raping a slave women? Cleaning up the truth as usual.Ermm

Anywho, I think this particular artwork maybe a bit much for a 2nd floor public library but not for art galleries or something similar. Then again, I don't know what type of artwork has previously been featured in the library.

Interesting work though and I hope some type of productive dialogue comes from displaying the artwork.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:54am
I will be back. That artwork is DEEEEEeeeeeppp. Im processing it all.

-------------
I Would rather eat crumbs with bums than share steak with snakes-

The token "instigatory thanks" on nonsenical posts always kill me.

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:06am
What is wrong with this bish?
Trying to capitalize off the rape and humiliation that our ancestors faced? Fucc her

This ain't no damn art!!!

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:10am
whats happening in the last pic?

-------------

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 2:15am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

A slave having sex with white men? That's what they call a picture of a white men raping a slave women? Cleaning up the truth as usual.Ermm

Anywho, I think this particular artwork maybe a bit much for a 2nd floor public library but not for art galleries or something similar. Then again, I don't know what type of artwork has previously been featured in the library.

Interesting work though and I hope some type of productive dialogue comes from displaying the artwork.

Alla this. The whole post actually

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 3:15am

-------------

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

A slave getting raped by a man with one leg?

-------------

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:06am
what women? i see sex with children.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBR_NJxW1M&list" rel="nofollow - ☼

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:09am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

What is wrong with this bish?
Trying to capitalize off the rape and humiliation that our ancestors faced? Fucc her

This ain't no damn art!!!

That's exactly what she is doing.

-------------

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:34am
I don't like her artwork.

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:41am
Wow....

There's a lot going on in all these pics. The last one stood out, I took it as a fat old one legged slave master raping a slave preteen, and killing the biracial baby they produced....

Craziness

-------------

Posted By: Ms.Best
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 6:33am
I dont think its capitalization. Shes using a mode of commnication thats shes obviously comfortable with ( and talented in) to address a cruicial- yet very uncomfortable part of our history. If she would have written a 1500 page book how many of us would be talking about these events now? As uncomfortable as it is to talk about. It happened. Maybe we need a healthy discussion.

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Ms.Best Ms.Best wrote:

I dont think its capitalization. Shes using a mode of commnication thats shes obviously comfortable with ( and talented in) to address a cruicial- yet very uncomfortable part of our history. If she would have written a 1500 page book how many of us would be talking about these events now? As uncomfortable as it is to talk about. It happened. Maybe we need a healthy discussion.

This

Posted By: starliteboo
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

It's a slave master haveing sex with a black woman in the corn fields (she is holding onto the stalk with one hand) and it shows him killing the black offspring with his sword to the left. I do not like any of her art and it should not be in museum either, I am from Jersey and I would not want to see that in the Newark museum.

-------------
I'm bipolar, I have multiple personalities and I have anger issues, I would suggest that you dont fcuk with me.

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:44am
In a gotdamn library?!

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:48am
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

In a gotdamn library?!

And on Thanksgiving, smh....

-------------

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:51am
It doesn't belong in a library though. Perhaps an art gallery. It does show the ugly truth of what happened. It's hard to look at, but it's the truth. Sometimes the truth is hard to swallow.

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:08am
there are some blatant things in this pic but its also left up to interpretation. As with most art. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:15am
I don't like this

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:21am
i have to really view this when i get home

-------------

Posted By: chrissypoo
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:26am
These pieces remind me of those eerie paintings on a wall found near where Mitrice went missing, they give me the same horrible feeling. However, I do agree that it is a part of history whether we like it or not.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:40am
Yeah this isn't the type of art that you're supposed to "like"

It's very confrontational in a country that tries to mask and minimize the true horrors of slavery, much like the movie Goodbye, Uncle Tom. Or like that Middle Passage room in the Black Wax Museum.

I've seen this piece in person before, and it would certainly ruin my day at the library.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:49am
I agree with Bea. I embrace accept our history. Good, bad, and ugly. I'm glad they put the sh*t up. Let these yt folks get uncomfortable with the savagery their people inflicted. It is exactly what it is.

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:54am
I don't like it but it shows what really did happen. It tells the ugly horrible truth about what happened to black women as slaves. There is no dressing it up, or making it romantic, just the cold facts.
I don't think it should be in a library and hey, this is not the greatest drawing I've seen but it did its work and got people talking.

-------------

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:39am
I am still trying to process it all...

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:47am
I would categorize this under "slavery p0rn"

I don't like it or appreciate it especially for a Library
I also don't think it renders respect for the true VICTIMS of these crimes

This is not how they ought to be remembered

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:57am
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:04am
Some more info on her stuff:

http://timothyquigley.net/vcs/walker-lexicon_raymond.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://timothyquigley.net/vcs/walker-lexicon_raymond.pdf

Oh and she has a book titled, "Why I Like White Boys"Stern Smile

Et Tu, Kara? Et tu...

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:18am
Have you seen that book? It's an illustrated novel with grotesque images of slavery, even more disturbing than the ones displayed in the library. It's not an ode to white men.

But the Black art world really dislikes her, for understandable reasons.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:22am
What in the actual f*ck?

Ugh.  I knew I shouldn't have come in here.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:26am
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Have you seen that book? It's an illustrated novel with grotesque images of slavery, even more disturbing than the ones displayed in the library. It's not an ode to white men.

But the Black art world really dislikes her, for understandable reasons.
Thanks for confirming. I'm still trying to get info on the book. This is what I got so far:

Autobiography and/or Political Statement?

Walker has used some of her art to wage a kind of war against detractors. In a certain watercolor she lambastes Betye Saar in both the text and title of the piece. Simultaneously she displays pieces that have an autobiographical flavor, as in “Why I Like White Boys” (1998) – a piece which is a self-proclaimed reflection on her own struggles with interracial dating. Of this she says, “I want the viewer to feel as though they’ve just encountered a History (with a capital H) that they Never knew — only to discover that it is mostly my Own (and my attendant longings and imperfections) they have just experienced.”

However, Walker has stated that although she intends her work to provoke, her primary goal is not to create a shock-effect, but to foster dialog. Walker says that her work is satirical and ironic, intended as social commentary but not comedy.

-------------

Posted By: marissy
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:28am
I have never heard of this artist before, but I don't like her work. It mostly seems like fetishism. I can't be upset with the employees, I would want that painting to be gone ASAP. How are you going to go to a library with your kids or something, and they see that hanging up?

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:39am
i really don't know what to think about her work....

I def. wouldn't want it in a library though

I wonder who picks out what artwork is displayed and the thought process behind choosing that particular painting. was that person simply going for shock value? or did they think that the painting would spark a meaningful convo among library patrons?

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:40am
Deep.

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:45am
I don't know...in my head I picture some crakkka who is an investment banker or in the oil business having this type of stuff post up high on his wall and then an oil panting of baphomet on the other side of the wall.

I'm just trying to picture who would buy this. Its one thing to look at this type of art in a gallery and engage in conversation and debate. But to put this up in your home or study, eh....
But that's just me.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:48am

As disgusting as the depictions are, her work is super popular among the white art world. It's bothersome to black artists that, of so many amazing great pieces of art created by black people, that hers are so well-received into the mainstream. For that reason, I think that the purpose has almost been defeated, because at least to some extent it's been neutralized as "art" and she a self-serving black gateway into the art world.

I don't mind her work...I think that it has a place...but she is certainly a divisive character and with good reason.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:50am
I'm really finding nothing wrong with this. Maybe the library is not the best setting to hang these pics up at. But I think it has true meaning. It makes us feel uncomfortable and thats what folks don't like. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:51am
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I don't know...in my head I picture some crakkka who is an investment banker or in the oil business having this type of stuff post up high on his wall and then an oil panting of baphomet on the other side of the wall.

I'm just trying to picture who would buy this. Its one thing to look at this type of art in a gallery and engage in conversation and debate. But to put this up in your home or study, eh....
But that's just me.

You're right! White people love her stuff.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:56am
force, coercion and rape =/= sex

-------------

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:00am
I don't see what the big deal is. White slaveowners did incredible things to their slaves, sometimes their own children. I mean did anyone watch Roots?

Has anyone read anything about black history? They would chop off penises of the men they lynched and this is after slavery.

If you know that today men of all races have been found guilty of molestation of even infants, then you should know that this was probably more rampant among white slave-owners who owned human property. I say she should show more. Give blacks and whites a dose of reality.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:05am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I don't think most will actually learn anything from her artwork

See, now that is where the problem lies. The paintings presupposed to  make you think about how gruesome slavery was. But most won't get the message. Thats my only gripe. But you can't make anyone learn

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:06am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I don't think most will actually learn anything from her artwork

See, now that is where the problem lies. The paintings presupposed to  make you think about how gruesome slavery was. But most won't get the message. Thats my only gripe. But you can't make anyone learn
This board is pure evidence of this.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:08am
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is. White slaveowners did incredible things to their slaves, sometimes their own children. I mean did anyone watch Roots?

Has anyone read anything about black history? They would chop off penises of the men they lynched and this is after slavery.

If you know that today men of all races have been found guilty of molestation of even infants, then you should know that this was probably more rampant among white slave-owners who owned human property. I say she should show more. Give blacks and whites a dose of reality.

Her work work has been in heavy rotation for nearly two decades. Besides Basquiat, she's probably the most well-received contemporary Black artist. She's shown at every major American art venue that there is, and has international acclaim as well.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:09am

A slave having sex with white men? That's what they call a picture of a
white men raping a slave women? Cleaning up the truth as usual.Ermm

Anywho,

I think this particular artwork maybe a bit much for a 2nd floor public
library but not for art galleries or something similar. Then again, I
don't know what type of artwork has previously been featured in the
library.

Interesting
work though and I hope some type of productive dialogue comes from displaying the artwork.

Tell em Carolina!

-------------
Domin

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:11am

Her work work has been in heavy rotation for nearly two decades. Besides Basquiat, she's probably the most well-received contemporary Black artist. She's shown at every major American art venue that there is, and has international acclaim as well.
I don't mean show more in terms of actual shows, i mean in actual brutality. Be more "real" with it.

-------------

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:12am
I guess this is just too sophisticated and refined for my basic palate.

-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:13am
If a BW drewd (yes, drewd) a bunch of pictures depicting field negresses aggressively pursing slave masters for sex, how much money y'all think the she would make off the artsy fartsy guilty white liberals?

Jus curious. Geek

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:17am

i get it.  i just think the art work is ink blot basic and nothing i would ever care to gaze upon for beauty and/or deep thought or anything else for that matter...

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:22am

I don't mean show more in terms of actual shows, i mean in actual brutality. Be more "real" with it.

Like, actual drawings instead of silhouettes? Because of her work, the piece that's being displayed in the library is almost tame. She shows slaves giving fellatio to horses while their masters look on and laugh, slaves being forced to eat feces, a man's genitals being decapitated as he's being burned alive...it's brutal.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:24am
oh ok...she does more than silhouettes?

-------------

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:26am

Like, actual drawings instead of silhouettes? Because of her work, the piece that's being displayed in the library is almost tame. She shows slaves giving fellatio to horses while their masters look on and laugh, slaves being forced to eat feces, a man's genitals being decapitated as he's being burned alive...it's brutal.
Exactly. Show more of the brutality. Sure its hard to digest but it happened. Like what if she were to do a depiction of the pregnant black woman who was lynched and whose baby was cut out of the womb and stomped to death by white racists. Maybe just reading about it isn't enough to understand the brutality of racists.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:29am
The blobs of black ink does her work a disservice as it does not depict anguish in the slaves faces. from the pictures in the OP, the slaves look like willing participants. But again, I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to this kind of stuff.Sleepy  

-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:37am
I want more gruesome details of slavery.
Too many people think we just picked cotton and fetched water.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Do you feel that the people who think that way, would actually go to an exhibit that showed the gruesome details? 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:49am
Sorry but this bitch crazy. Just did some research on her and she has been quoted as saying, "All black people in America want to be slaves a little bit."

Nah, shawdy. Too rich for my blood. 

-------------
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:51am
Not necessarily but I didn't go to an exhibit to see this its on the Internet , it's in print.
I just want the imagery and details out there.
America seems to try to keep the inconvenient truths of our " peculiar institution" a secret and I think it does us a disservice.
Maybe the message will get lost on some people but that happens.

Tell the truth America

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:52am
Statements like that are of course crazy but I normally separate the author/artist from her works.

I want ppl to be uncomfortable

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:53am
^^^I C

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:53am
Quote Yes, art can be a form of resistence but Kara’s work is anything but. In fact, Walker professes a sort of love affair with white supremacy, both personally and in her work. After all, her show is entitled “My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love”. She has made statements such as “I believe the problem with racism in America is that we secretly enjoy it, where would we be without the ’struggle’” and “All black people in America want to be slaves a little bit”. She professes a masochistic submission to white men in the “Notes of a Negress” accompanying the work “Why I Like White Boys”.

http://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/kara-walker/

-------------
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

The blobs of black ink does her work a disservice as it does not depict anguish in the slaves faces. from the pictures in the OP, the slaves look like willing participants. But again, I'm not that sophisticated when it comes to this kind of stuff.Sleepy  

Exactly!! That's one of the first things I noticed.

You have a picture of a woman giving head but their is no expression on her face. How is someone to know whether that was rape or consenting sex? I call bs in all her reasonings for drawing this sh*t. There are other ways she could have done this without bein offensive.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:55am
I understand your point Noney,

That bish is lost

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:55am

You have a picture of a woman giving head but their is no expression on her face. How is someone to know whether that was rape or consenting sex? I call bs in all her reasonings for drawing this sh*t. There are other ways she could have done this without bein offensive.

How could chattel consent to anything though ?
If people come to the conclusion that this was sex then they have problems too.
There should be no confusion

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:01pm

Statements like that are of course crazy but I normally separate the author/artist from her works.

I want ppl to be uncomfortable
Most people are uncomfortable with the truth. But I agree. The truth should be on display.

The University of Florida has no problem putting on display items and images that show alligators attempting to eat black babies. They call it memorabilia.

-------------

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:03pm

^^
i saw a post on tumblr last night saying blacks haven't been through nearly as much as jews. I think yt believes this is what slavery was like

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:13pm

Sorry but this bitch crazy. Just did some research on her and she has been quoted as saying, "All black people in America want to be slaves a little bit."

Nah, shawdy. Too rich for my blood. 

Well damn! Disapprove

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:15pm

i would say a slave wasn't able to give consent...that would mean that they were in fact human with human emotions/feelings/wants/needs to be considered.. that's the power dynamic at play. rape is very much about power and control, and within the confines of slavery, the woman (i'm assuming) is absolutely powerless. there would be no way to give consent, as she is considered not even human but property, on the same level as animals (probably lower...i'm sure animals were treated much more humanely and with better care.  property (animals) does not have to have the same considerations. the slaves are merely tools to get things done. i think maybe this is a reason why her face isn't shown. it doesn't matter how she felt. it only matters what the master thinks/feels during the time period.

that's just me thinking through it, though. idk what the artists' intention was in doing so.

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

^^
i saw a post on tumblr last night saying blacks haven't been through nearly as much as jews. I think yt believes this is what slavery was like

What????!

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

^^

What????!
Oh.thee.ironyyyyyySleepy

-------------

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:29pm
I don't know what to think..

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:34pm

Exactly. Show more of the brutality. Sure its hard to digest but it happened. Like what if she were to do a depiction of the pregnant black woman who was lynched and whose baby was cut out of the womb and stomped to death by white racists. Maybe just reading about it isn't enough to understand the brutality of racists.

I'm going to compile some of her pieces and send them to you soon. This actually sounds very familiar and I think that she's done something similar.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:45pm

^^

i've seen similar posts on tumblr...my side eye was strong.

i get tired of that comparison as i believe it is pretty inaccurate. and everytime someone talks about the horrors of slavery, the holocaust gets brought up. do they not understand that slavery was our holocaust?

or when you bring up certain points, they'll be like "this isn't the oppression olympics"

Ermm

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

^^

i've seen similar posts on tumblr...my side eye was strong.

i get tired of that comparison as i believe it is pretty inaccurate. and everytime someone talks about the horrors of slavery, the holocaust gets brought up. do they not understand that slavery was our holocaust?

or when you bring up certain points, they'll be like "this isn't the oppression olympics"

Ermm

I love how its ok for them to feel oppressed, but we get the side eye when we mention slavery.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:53pm

When her exhibit was shown at the Whitney Museum here in NYC back in October, I wrote a review on the onilne forum that accompanied the exhibition:

As an African-American man under 30, my personal reaction to Kara Walker’s work is one of absolute disgust. As this work ultimately has direct multiple effects on my life, I believe the Whitney should allow for my voice to be heard and to print this critique. To silence a simple blog comment, as you’ve done with my previous post, is to render me as one of Walker’s two-dimensional shadows, trapped within the nightmarish psychosis of white supremacist projections of blackness currently displayed on the Whitney’s walls, completely raped of any connection to the historical humanity of the slaves Walker absolutely betrays. In almost every review of her work, all mention of protest is characterized as the byproduct of a generation gap, between now-fusty ’60s era social politics and the balanced reason of today’s youth. Well, I am here to tell you that, unlike Allison Saar (Betye Saar’s daughter who supports the work), I personally believe Kara’s work carefully situates itself within the post-Civil Rights backlash against racial equality. It’s a trickbag, occasionally adopting the rhetoric of “exposing” stereotypes for the sake of social justice, while at the same time further perverting these stereotypes for the tacit amusement of the predominantly white art establishment.

Walker’s following is informed by several layers of conscious and subconscious reactions, aversions, collusions, interactions with her artwork. Her works offer many a somewhat safe vehicle to experience the grotesquery of American slavery while several comfortable notions of black humanity are left untouched. In a way, her works reaffirm the whiteness of her white spectators against the black projections of white-derived fantasy on the wall. Her pieces position a relationship between spectator and caricature, falsely presenting the spectre of white racial psychosis as the obscured truth for the authentic betrayed historical reality, the depths of which most Americans do not wish to fully confront given the lack of recognition in the relevance of the American slavery reparations movement! In the end, the pieces do not subvert white supremacist fantasies of blackness. The pieces allow for a sort of “ironic” front which offers a sort of pretend resistence but in fact submits to the hegemony of American race relations. A pretend compassion for the deeply Human suffering of blacks in America which informed Wolf Blitzer’s “so poor, so black” statement in the wake of Katrina. A conscious national narrative which posits the equality of opportunity but a subconscious that degrades black humanity as a justification for ongoing massive inequalities in incarceration, education and the workforce and the white privilege that results from being on the positive side of the equation. A subconscious brought into full view on the Harvard IAT test which states that most participants demonstrate a “moderate to strong preference for white over black.” Mostly informed by the continually perpetuating antebellum-era stereotypes Kara Walker depicts, but ultimately palliates for the white subconscious. Is this why her work is lauded as “not being preachy”?

As work like this becomes socially sanctioned by institutions of high culture such as the Whitney and artists such as Kara grow in clout, while it may have been temporarily taboo to display mammy dolls and lawn jockeys, it again becomes socially sanctioned to display art with “ironic” but blatent stereotypes in galleries, corporations, the homes of the social, cultural, economic and political elite.

Yes, art can be a form of resistence but Kara’s work is anything but. In fact, Walker professes a sort of love affair with white supremacy, both personally and in her work. After all, her show is entitled “My Complement, My Enemy, My Oppressor, My Love”. She has made statements such as “I believe the problem with racism in America is that we secretly enjoy it, where would we be without the ’struggle’” and “All black people in America want to be slaves a little bit”. She professes a masochistic submission to white men in the “Notes of a Negress” accompanying the work “Why I Like White Boys”. As Holland Carter of the New York Times wrote in 2003: “Her blacks don’t resist aggression, or at least not in obvious ways. They seem to give in to it, let themselves be abjectly used, often by one another.” If this is resistence, please tell me when I’m dead. Kara’s work panders to a covert liberal racism which adopts fashionable social posturing but lacks any sort of progressive substance. And even among well-intentioned white liberals, whiteness (which by origin and definition is synonymous with the ideology of white supremacy and is naturally defined in opposition to “blackness”) remains in the center of their identities and social experience. As well-intentioned Helen was in her social politics, when the Klan made her put mud on her face I can’t help but wonder whether some of the shame was in temporarily internalizing not so much the humiliation of having to put mud on her face but rather having to temprarily internalize any degradation she might have subconsciously believed to be inherent in the idea of blackness alone. The fact that most Americans show this internalization of racialist beliefs is demonstrated on the Harvard Implicit Association Test (IAT). In reality, noone who can identify with the experience of being white in America can truly claim to be colorblind as his or her identity is built on the ontological opposite. And even for the most well-meaning white liberal, Kara’s work panders to this subconscious. As this white supremacist subconscious is deeply rooted in all Americans, Walker’s work does not subvert the white supremacist imagination of blackness but rather re-presents it in the tangible here-and-now, bows to its hegomonic force and makes offerings of eagerly copulating slavewomen, debased pickaninnies and confused buckcoons.

I have a problem with Walker’s so-called irony. Is irony a copout? Esp. when the irony is positioned on the authenticity of white supremacy (”irony” caters to an open reading by all racial ideologies) and within the compliance of black women in their continued rape by slavemasters?

Walker’s work disturbs me because while it does present a horrifying, grotesque, epic vision of this country’s foundation it simultaneously hints that it is all ok, that blacks are just as complicit as whites and that these horrors were somehow, in part, self-extracted. She presents this racialized psychosexual fantasy as an obscured reality /shadows on the wall/, as the (subhuman) raw material blacks are truly made of.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:54pm

I'm going to compile some of her pieces and send them to you soon. This actually sounds very familiar and I think that she's done something similar.

cc me pleaseBig smile

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:54pm
^I kno most of yall won't agree but the last paragraph reminds me of Django

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:57pm
off topic, but meanwhile the KKK is going door to door in Wilmington passing out recruitment letters.

http://www.wect.com/story/20926680/kkk-recruitment-letters-handed-out-in-wilmington-communities#.UQsDqKXZCmU.facebook" rel="nofollow - KKK recruitment letters handed out in Wilmington communities

Copy of KKK recruitment letter

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 12:58pm
On that note, here's a link to a website that showcases postcards the sick f*cks made of lynchings

http://withoutsanctuary.org/main.html" rel="nofollow - http://withoutsanctuary.org/main.html

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:00pm
Quote As an African-American man under 30, my personal reaction to Kara Walker’s work is one of absolute disgust.
In fact, Walker professes a sort of love affair with white supremacy, both personally

Interesting......

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:02pm

The point being

You can't just have a picture of a woman in bent over, or sucking some dick, and claim it "represents" the rape they went through. Their is no emotion or facial expressions in some of these pictures whatsoever. I know it isn't consensual, I never said it was. I'm saying, that when someone has a controversial picture like this, there needs to be some clarity in what the slaves are feeling and going through. 

Everyone isn't black and they don't know our history. I'd be even willing to say a lot of non-blacks don't even know that slaves were raped and mutilated by slave owners, so if a person who doesn't know any better sees some of these, they aren't going to automatically think "rape". I don't fault them for that nor do I believe "they have problems" if they don't see it as we do. It is the Artist responsibility to convey the meanings behind art like this, not the person viewing the art responsibility to know slave history and understand what she is trying to say.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:02pm
yt homelands?????  they can always go back to the caves...or wherever the hell they mysteriously appeared from....stupid f*ckers...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Finesseful
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:07pm
That picture was disgusting. This is why I will never understand some black folks desire to fraternize and be accepted by white people so much. In essence this is what many of them think of us. 

-------------
Make love, not war.

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:08pm
i don't like the painting. 
but im not a big art buff either. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yt homelands?????  they can always go back to the caves...or wherever the hell they mysteriously appeared from....stupid f*ckers...

Stop being mean to those Europeans who "borrow" words from Sanskrit to describe their superior white selves. LOL

The point being

You can't just have a picture of a woman in bent over, or sucking some dick, and claim it "represents" the rape they went through. Their is no emotion or facial expressions in some of these pictures whatsoever. I know it isn't consensual, I never said it was. I'm saying, that when someone has a controversial picture like this, there needs to be some clarity in what the slaves are feeling and going through. 

Everyone isn't black and they don't know our history. I'd be even willing to say a lot of non-blacks don't even know that slaves were raped and mutilated by slave owners, so if a person who doesn't know any better sees some of these, they aren't going to automatically think "rape". I don't fault them for that nor do I believe "they have problems" if they don't see it as we do. It is the Artist responsibility to convey the meanings behind art like this, not the person viewing the art responsibility to know slave history and understand what she is trying to say.

I never said you said anything.
And I disagree that isn't the artists responsibility people will come to their own conclusions about the meaning behind a work.
I believe authorial intent holds no weight after that work is published.

Yes ppl have a problem if they view a slave having sex with his " master" as consensual sex( if they recognize the person as a slave)
There is no wiggle room there.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

On that note, here's a link to a website that showcases postcards the sick f*cks made of lynchings

http://withoutsanctuary.org/main.html" rel="nofollow - http://withoutsanctuary.org/main.html

Oh yes, them crakkkas would have little "pick a nicca" events and barbeques and send out postcards with lynchings. they had postcards and I believe stamps for the "gator baits" too.

I think up in the spirituality thread somewhere I posted a video based on a book with slaves talking about the sh!t they when through. One slave talks about getting lashes and from there had to lay down and let massa's cat use his back back as a scratching postAngry

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:17pm
Well there's another element to the rape as well...we can't see their facial expressions but so many enslaved people were forced to bear it without showing emotion because that's how their masters wanted it. Many had to learn how to mask how painful and dehumanizing rape (and many other experiences of slavery) in order to preserve themselves for further punishments and sadistic acts.

There was a recording of a former slave woman in the Smithsonian speaking about being raped. I think that it was recorded around 1910. This woman said that she just learned to live with it Cry

So I'm not here to protect Kara Walker, like I said, I'm not particularly a fan. But from my end, the ambiguity does serve a purpose.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:19pm
Yeah the author and her views mean nothing to me
I fully disagree with her but I set that aside and look at the painting through my own lens .
What she meant by the painting is her own business her pov is basically insignificant now.( I feel that way about all authors)

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:20pm

Well there's another element to the rape as well...we can't see their facial expressions but so many enslaved people were forced to bear it without showing emotion because that's how their masters wanted it. Many had to learn how to mask how painful and dehumanizing rape (and many other experiences of slavery) in order to preserve themselves for further punishments and sadistic acts.

There was a recording of a former slave woman in the Smithsonian speaking about being raped. I think that it was recorded around 1910. This woman said that she just learned to live with it Cry

So I'm not here to protect Kara Walker, like I said, I'm not particularly a fan. But from my end, the ambiguity does serve a purpose.

IA

that's just devastatingCry

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:21pm
I understand the ambiguity as well. But from the pictures alone, I could sense that something was off about the author's intent which is why I did a quick Google search on her. My findings confirmed my beliefs.

-------------
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:21pm

The point being

I never said you said anything.
And I disagree that isn't the artists responsibility people will come to their own conclusions about the meaning behind a work.
I believe authorial intent holds no weight after that work is published.

Yes ppl have a problem if they view a slave having sex with his " master" as consensual sex( if they recognize the person as a slave)

There is no wiggle room there.

I agree IF they understand slave rape/mutilation from slave owners. Like I said, a lot of non-blacks probably don't even know the history like we do. White people aren't trying to convey the ish their ancestors did in the past to ours.

And I'm heavy in the arts, so I agree that people should come to their own conclusions about art, however, the artist still needs to clarity in her paintings about what she is trying to represent, not a plaque on the side of a picture that says "this is a portrait of rape." These pictures are very controversial. I respect her need to express her thoughts on portrait, but there needs to be some emotion in a picture like this. 

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:28pm
The artist is conveying what she's trying to represent

but we have such a "black people are innately good" mentality that we can't even digest the fact that a Black woman could create such a tragically perplexing and brutality honest depiction of her subconscious desires

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:30pm

but we have such a "black people are innately good" mentality that we can't even digest the fact that a Black woman could create such a tragically perplexing and brutality honest depiction of her subconscious desires
Not in all of them. I think the last one with the master killing the baby is a better representation. As for the rest of them, idts.

And at the bolded, elaborate por favor.

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:33pm

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter what she is trying to say.
Her intent is void and insignificant.
This is my point of view on all authors and artists.
It's from the theory of deconstructionism

That's how I view all work.
Once a work is published the author and what she wants to convey matters not.

But I understand some ppl don't subscribe or understand the deconstructionist theory.
In literary meetings on me and an older professor have like minds on these topics.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:36pm

I understand the ambiguity as well. But from the pictures alone, I could sense that something was off about the author's intent which is why I did a quick Google search on her. My findings confirmed my beliefs.
Okay, so it wasn't just me then. Something seems off about her work. I can't put my finger on it. And I know plenty about my history, so I'm not on some "she shouldn't shed light on this" crap.

I think she's team swirl too, which makes it more face-palm worthy (at least to me)

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:38pm
Yes the artist has major issues.
That's obvious.

I don't care about her intent.
Doesn't matter what she was trying to do.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:42pm
I wasn't talking to you Stern Smile

What I'm saying is it doesn't matter what she is trying to say.
Her intent is void and insignificant.
This is my point of view on all authors and artists.
It's from the theory of deconstructionism

That's how I view all work.
Once a work is published the author and what she wants to convey matters not.

But I understand some ppl don't subscribe or understand the deconstructionist theory.
In literary meetings on me and an older professor have like minds on these topics.

But jones, her work isn't like some abstract picasso type painting where one observer might interpret a dove flying into the abyss from a bunch of muted colors. 

her intent is clearly translated into her work imo.  

-------------
-Agent Smith

Oh dear. 

-------------
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:43pm
Hmmm

All the same

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Print Page | Close Window