Print Page | Close Window

the Genius of Real Husbands of Hollywood

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354120
Printed Date: Dec 12 2018 at 8:02am


Topic: the Genius of Real Husbands of Hollywood
Posted By: pattigurlatl
Subject: the Genius of Real Husbands of Hollywood
Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:31pm
I wasn't really big on the idea of the show especially because I didn't think that Kevin Hart was that funny.

But I do believe that he has one upped our currently named "god of cinema" Tyler Perry in one respect.

If you're aware of the consistent propaganda that paints black women as the typical Mammy, Sapphire, Jezebel, and ABW stereotypes then you would surely realize that Kevin Hart has maybe inadvertently done his best to credit black women as individuals outside of that imagery.

I find this to be genius.

For one, he doesn't include women as the main cast except for his agent. He attributes what we've seen as female characteristics as male ones, thus rejecting this idea of the black female cartoon. This is a way of equalizing and humanizing normal human behavior.

The other benefits is hiring people who wouldn't get work in standard Hollywood which is interesting because that includes Robin Thicke...a white man who is in a field that caters to blacks. The fact that he is married to a black woman helps because it shows that his life choice (or perhaps life identity) renders him victim to the same plight as someone who is black even thought he has a namesake in the industry. This in itself is proof that being black or connected to someone black is a "scar" and could negatively impact your life. Even though this is expressed in a comedic sense, it is truly telling.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.



Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:38pm
Well the point of the show is to satirize the whole real housewives franchise. I don't think Kevin himself is setting out to portray black women in a more positive light but either way I've found it hilarious so far.

I do like that the one black female character is the lawyer and they've shown her as a professional who is about her business, which we don't usually see for black female characters.


Posted By: JasonWllms55
Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:41pm
i think your digging deeper than what it really is. 

I like Kevin and all, but i dont think he had any alternative intentions when he created the show, other than $$$$$. 

ps. the show really isnt that funny to me. 

pss. the very 1st episode had Kevin showing up at the birthday party with a half naked Bria Myles and some other chick on his arm. there was also the loud mouthed "baby sitter" who wasnt during her job at the bday party.

then in the last episode Keri Hilson was trynna holla at his assistant just because she thought he was pushing a Porsche. 

so outside of the lawyer, the other images of black women arent that positive, if we keepin it 100. 




-------------
#BEDROOMBULLY


Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

I wasn't really big on the idea of the show especially because I didn't think that Kevin Hart was that funny.

But I do believe that he has one upped our currently named "god of cinema" Tyler Perry in one respect.

If you're aware of the consistent propaganda that paints black women as the typical Mammy, Sapphire, Jezebel, and ABW stereotypes then you would surely realize that Kevin Hart has maybe inadvertently done his best to credit black women as individuals outside of that imagery.

I find this to be genius.

For one, he doesn't include women as the main cast except for his agent. He attributes what we've seen as female characteristics as male ones, thus rejecting this idea of the black female cartoon. This is a way of equalizing and humanizing normal human behavior.

The other benefits is hiring people who wouldn't get work in standard Hollywood which is interesting because that includes Robin Thicke...a white man who is in a field that caters to blacks. The fact that he is married to a black woman helps because it shows that his life choice (or perhaps life identity) renders him victim to the same plight as someone who is black even thought he has a namesake in the industry. This in itself is proof that being black or connected to someone black is a "scar" and could negatively impact your life. Even though this is expressed in a comedic sense, it is truly telling.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">





-------------


Posted By: soarlikecruz
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:46am
I haven't seen the show yet,... but I did see a clip. I thought this was actually supposed to be a reality show but that one clip (the one of Nelly's workout video) showed me that they're basically making fun of their female counterparts in the Real housewives of ATL/OC/NY etc. I want to watch more of this show


Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:13am
i like the show...

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy


dacoldesteva


Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

I wasn't really big on the idea of the show especially because I didn't think that Kevin Hart was that funny.

But I do believe that he has one upped our currently named "god of cinema" Tyler Perry in one respect.

If you're aware of the consistent propaganda that paints black women as the typical Mammy, Sapphire, Jezebel, and ABW stereotypes then you would surely realize that Kevin Hart has maybe inadvertently done his best to credit black women as individuals outside of that imagery.

I find this to be genius.

For one, he doesn't include women as the main cast except for his agent. He attributes what we've seen as female characteristics as male ones, thus rejecting this idea of the black female cartoon. This is a way of equalizing and humanizing normal human behavior.

The other benefits is hiring people who wouldn't get work in standard Hollywood which is interesting because that includes Robin Thicke...a white man who is in a field that caters to blacks. The fact that he is married to a black woman helps because it shows that his life choice (or perhaps life identity) renders him victim to the same plight as someone who is black even thought he has a namesake in the industry. This in itself is proof that being black or connected to someone black is a "scar" and could negatively impact your life. Even though this is expressed in a comedic sense, it is truly telling.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">



LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
 Patti, Kevin divorced his black wife a while ago and has been dating a young blasian.Ouch


Posted By: Finesseful
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:26am
Kevin Hart isn't even that funny. Another Lil Duval if you ask me.

-------------
Make love, not war.


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:27am
it's on BET right? i think that negates whatever positivity you see in this show.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:31am
The funny thing is Patti, I noticed this too about Kevin Hart

but not about his show on BET b/c I've only seen part of 1 episode


But I noticed the unintentional genius of his comedies. Apart from his ABW trope, because unlike you, I do believe he paints black women and girls (like his daughter) with that;  however, I believe his comedies do a great deal of humanizing Black people (Black men, boys, families mainly) in a way that no comic has before (that i know of).

I think if you get caught up in the 'it's just entertainment' aspect of it, you'll miss that. I find this especially important because I feel people are the most open and vulnerable when they're happy and laughing. I don't think we give comics enough credit for how influential they are to the masses


Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 9:32am
Did you write that or pull it from somewhere?

It's doing wayy too much, and I'm laughing that somebody read that much into this basic ass show.

I watch soely for eye candy,I don't think I've laughed once at it. Oh wait.. Maybe the part where ronin socked Kevin in the face. Yea that was funny.


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 10:53am
I guess no one knows what "inadvertently" means.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 7:44pm
I'm trying to give the show a chance- its not funny. Except for when the little boy whipped his azz.

-------------
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.


Posted By: binky622
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

it's on BET right? i think that negates whatever positivity you see in this show.

LOL


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

Kevin Hart isn't even that funny. Another Lil Duval if you ask me.
yep

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 5:00pm
It's not funny or a good show


Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 9:17pm
Well he may not be that funny and I admitted that in my initial post. But I have to give credit to someone who instead of going to a major network and instead of hiring more popular actors, he decided to give some of his friends a check.



-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Feb 05 2013 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

The funny thing is Patti, I noticed this too about Kevin Hart

but not about his show on BET b/c I've only seen part of 1 episode


But I noticed the unintentional genius of his comedies. Apart from his ABW trope, because unlike you, I do believe he paints black women and girls (like his daughter) with that;  however, I believe his comedies do a great deal of humanizing Black people (Black men, boys, families mainly) in a way that no comic has before (that i know of).

I think if you get caught up in the 'it's just entertainment' aspect of it, you'll miss that. I find this especially important because I feel people are the most open and vulnerable when they're happy and laughing. I don't think we give comics enough credit for how influential they are to the masses

:rudywhatever:





Print Page | Close Window