Print Page | Close Window

Turned down for a job bcos of his African name

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=354090
Printed Date: Apr 06 2020 at 8:11pm

Topic: Turned down for a job bcos of his African name
Posted By: zsazsa
Subject: Turned down for a job bcos of his African name
Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:38am
Shame on you Virgin Atlantic. 

Weall know it happens but something needs to be done about it. We don't all desire to have Anglo-Saxon names. I sure don't. I love my African name. 

Virgin Atlantic accused of rejecting graduate job applicant because of his African name after they offered him an interview when he applied as 'Craig Owen'

• Max Kpakio was turned down for job at Virgin call centre in Swansea
  • But received enthusiastic response when he re-applied using British name
Fury: Max Kpakio claims he was turned down for a job with Virgin Atlantic because of his name

Fury: Max Kpakio claims he was turned down for a job with Virgin Atlantic because of his name

Virgin Atlantic was today accused of racism after allegedly rejecting a job application from an African refugee, but accepting him when he applied with a British name.

Max Kpakio was turned down for a call centre job - and when he suspected his foreign-sounding name was at fault, he re-submitted his application under the name Craig Owen.

He claims the enthusiastic response the second application received proves that his initial rejection was based solely on racial discrimination, and is taking the airline to an employment tribunal.

The 36-year-old graduate was born in Liberia, but has lived in the UK for the past 10 years and is now a British citizen.

When his application to work at a Virgin call centre in Swansea was rejected, he was convinced it was due to his African name.

Not only was he invited for interview when he applied as Craig Owen, but the company repeatedly contacted him encouraging his application - even though it was nothing more than a simplified version of his genuine CV.

After he failed to respond to their initial email, they sent a string of messages saying how much they were looking forward to meeting him.

Application: Mr Kpakio hoped to get a job at the Virgin call centre based in this building in Swansea

Application: Mr Kpakio hoped to get a job at the Virgin call centre based in this building in Swansea

'There was an enormous difference in the way I was treated when I used a British name,' Mr Kpakio said.

'When I was first sent a rejection, I couldn't understand it - I thought I had provided a very good CV.

'I'd offered advice to clients over the telephone before, so I believed I was a very good candidate for the job.

'It occurred to me that my ethnic origin may have something to do with the rejection. I then decided to make a further application to Virgin, using the name Craig Owen.

'They were in touch with me seven or eight times, and kept coming back to me when I didn't respond.'

Refugee: The 36-year-old left his native Liberia to escape the civil war and graduated from Swansea University

Refugee: The 36-year-old left his native Liberia to escape the civil war and graduated from Swansea University

Mr Kpakio moved to Swansea with his three children in 2002, to escape the civil war which was tearing his home country apart.

He earned a degree in International Relations from Swansea University.

His case for alleged racial discrimination against Virgin, which was founded by flamboyant tycoon Richard Branson, is due to be heard by an employment tribunal in April.

A spokeswoman for Virgin Atlantic said: 'We are an equal opportunities employer.

'We pride ourselves on providing opportunities to talented people regardless of their race, sex, age or other characteristic.

Lawsuit: Virgin Atlantic, founded by Richard Branson, pictured, denies racial discrimination

Lawsuit: Virgin Atlantic, founded by Richard Branson, pictured, denies racial discrimination

'We take allegations of discrimination extremely seriously.

'And whilst we do not comment on individual cases, we strongly deny any of our recruitment decisions or practices are discriminatory in any way.'

Research done over the past few years have suggested that job applicants with foreign-sounding names face obstacles to being hired in many lines of work.

A number of studies in which researchers have submitted identical CVs under two sets of name, British and non-British, have shown that the former are significantly more likely to receive a positive response from employers.

Replies:
    Posted By: Jess
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:44am
    Smdh. I've experienced this before. I have a name like Ashley Smith. When they saw that I look like my name should be Shaneequa' Jackson-Jones, they were acting like those good grades couldn't have come from me

-------------

Posted By: BlackstarBlue
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:44am
    Even a parliamentary report said so (this is in regards to women)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20608039" rel="nofollow - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20608039

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/07/ethnic-minority-women-jobs-crisis" rel="nofollow - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/07/ethnic-minority-women-jobs-crisis

There was a great radio phone-in, in December with women phoning in telling their stories. Its terrible. We all Know Rachel Philips or Richard Goodson is given an interview more than Rashida Kamara or Kofi Frimpong . Its undeniable

-------------
    Your Cat has Aids-AlabamaKinks
    Have respect for an old west indian negro- darcus howe
    “All you want to do is take cocaine with your new white friends” -Netsayi
    None of my clients have hair- shawnda D

Posted By: Naturalchick30
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:45am
    "we strongly deny any of our recruitment decisions or practices are discriminatory in any way."

Sure you do...

-------------

Posted By: Lonisha87
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:47am
    This is true and happens all the time...

-------------

Posted By: ms_wonderland
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:49am
    Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

if your name is indian or asian you are straight

If I get an Indian on the line, I hang up. I am too through with Indian call centers. Your name is not Betty and you are not helpful either.

Posted By: nala52808
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:44am
    My dad had to go by a different name when he came here in 1983 because he wasn't getting any jobs. It confused me when I was little, but now I know that certain employers are prejudice like that. I feel bad for the guy.

-------------
    Come take my hand and lets go Nala-land, where all your sexiest dreams will come true!

Posted By: Tbaby
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:01pm
     I'm glad he's making this public.  But we all knew the real deal...

So what happens at this employment tribunal?  Do they have the power to fine the company?

-------------
    Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: EPITOME
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:11pm
    Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

if your name is indian or asian you are straight

If I get an Indian on the line, I hang up. I am too through with Indian call centers. Your name is not Betty and you are not helpful either.

i tell them "I want to speak to someone in AMERICA!"

-------------
    I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: zsazsa
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:34pm
    Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

I'm glad he's making this public.  But we all knew the real deal...

So what happens at this employment tribunal?  Do they have the power to fine the company?

If he wins, he is looking to get paid. 

Their statement was pitta. Not even 'we are so shocked and are going to look into this and retrain/sack'. Just lazy soundbite. 

These companies got minorities running around like headless chickens changing their names/ naming their kids bland watered down names just to get a call for an interview. Until they see brown. What then? 
    We get so much shiit thrown at us, I am surprised our collective anger hasn't finished this world yet. 

Posted By: Lilaca
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 12:46pm
    Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

Smdh. I've experienced this before. I have a name like Ashley Smith. When they saw that I look like my name should be Shaneequa' Jackson-Jones, they were acting like those good grades couldn't have come from me
    same i have a very yt name and get the shocked response when i go to the interview. 

-------------

Posted By: femmemichelle
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 1:17pm
    So which companies do I have to boycott to give Virgin an undeniable F.U?

Posted By: Derri
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 1:39pm
    I'm so sick of this shyt.

Posted By: BrownQtee
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 1:41pm

I believe it. I hope he gets a good payout.

Posted By: StylingArabella
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 1:41pm
    Common practice.

Posted By: Derri
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 1:44pm
    what happens when you have a white name, then go to the interview and they see that you're black?
    Do they still hire?

Posted By: Midna
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:06pm
    They wanna do racist things but don't want the title of a racist.

Expose this discrimination!

-------------

Posted By: ModelessDiva
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:08pm
    Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

+1
     I hate white people. Kill them All.

-------------
    Having a bunch of sexual partners doesn't mean you're a free spirit and expressing yourself...it means your a hoe. -call

Posted By: Lilaca
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:26pm
    Dead^

-------------

Posted By: happy 4b
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:28pm
    This makes me so angry. And I bet this man is more qualified than who they hired instead.

Posted By: DWeird
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:25pm
    I'm never surprised at white people being racist. That's their default setting.

-------------
    Enter to win a trip for two to Fiji Ends 8/8/15 https://www.facebook.com/pages/Advanced-Water-Solutions/1000918369934558?sk=app_474477662635277&ref=page_internal

Posted By: Addicted19034
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:32pm
    Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

+1

Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:33pm
    Originally posted by DWeird DWeird wrote:

I'm never surprised at white people being racist. That's their default setting.

LOL  sometimes cynicism is a good thing.

Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:34pm
    Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

+1

god damn...Confused  we don't want that popping up in google. Cry

Posted By: Az~Maverick
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 4:11pm
    Ugh......white people make my ass itch.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 4:28pm

I hear you! Doesn't matter what century we're in we face the same repetitive crap year in year out.

Posted By: pattigurlatl
    Date Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 4:41pm
    If only more people, would think to do tests like this.

On my resume I use Pat instead of Patricia because I believe that it would be passed over in favor of resumes with male names.  I've never tested the theory for sure by using the name Patricia but I think I will start now that I don't need a job. Maybe in my field, I would fare better now.

-------------
    Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Print Page | Close Window