Print Page | Close Window

The power of makeup

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353896
Printed Date: May 22 2018 at 9:24am

Topic: The power of makeup
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: The power of makeup
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:20pm
This topic has been discussed before. I'm just wondering what are your thoughts on the article itself...

Stop the Beauty Bullying: Let's Embrace Each Other, Flaws and All

Photo Credit: Alexandra Butler Makeup Artistry

As a full-time makeup artist, I use my personal Instagram and Facebook accounts to showcase some of my work. Recently, the photo above featuring a makeover I performed on one of my clients has been floating around on blogs and social media along with very hurtful and negative comments. The makeover has been called “deceiving,” “misleading,” and even “scary.” I have also been accused of using Photoshop while others have suggested that the woman in the after picture is not the same person. Really?

It is my job to apply makeup to enhance my clients’ natural beauty and make them look their best for special occasions. In no shape or form am I in the business to “trick others" or make my client appear to be someone she is not. This particular client has very noticeable acne scarring which has made her very apprehensive about walking out of the house without makeup on. When she first voiced her concerns to me, as a makeup artist, I wanted her to walk away appearing to have flawless skin. However, even with the skin imperfections, my client is beautiful. I created a look to conceal her blemishes and then used simple enhancements to bring out her natural features.

In response to many of the negative comments, I do not agree that wearing makeup is “deceiving.” Is it deceiving when a chemotherapy patient wears a wig? Is it deceiving when a woman wears Spanx to make her clothes look better? Is it deceiving when a person has vitiligo and wants to even their skintone? The answer is no. We all want to look our best. Everyone has flaws and almost everyone has blemishes, and the way that my client has been ridiculed and picked at is absurd. No one has the right to point fingers and name call especially when my client cannot control the fact that she has a hereditary skin condition. (For the record, my client has tried several acne treatments and is currently undergoing professional help to improve her skin.) My client has been ridiculed for walking out of the house with blemishes all over her face and now she is being accused of “deception” for covering those blemishes. How unfair!

alexandra butler makeup 2

Makeup is an art. A true makeup artist is able to apply makeup in such a seamless way that the contours, highlights, color correction, and color enhancements bring out the best in a person's face and compliment their every feature. I have worked very hard on this craft and have truly found my niche in makeup. I am extremely blessed to do what I am passionate about for a living and have had many great experiences with all types of clients. It breaks my heart to hear such harsh feedback on the photos above via Instagram and Facebook. My clients are real women with real feelings just like you. These women could be your mother, wife, sister, daughter, grandmother, aunt, or cousin—or even you. Would you want someone to make nasty remarks about your loved one or rude comments about you?

We need to be very mindful of our words and how we use them in the real world and online. Instead of using social media to tear each other down for having flaws, let’s be positive and build each other up. All of the mean-spirited remarks are a form of online bullying and it needs to stop. Allow makeup artists to do our job without trying to put down our talent or even worse, take credit for work you didn’t do (many artists have reposted the photo above claiming it to be their work). If you see a makeover that looks amazing, in whatever form, compliment the work and keep your negative remarks to yourself. Use your words to uplift and make someone else feel beautiful just as you would want someone to do for you or someone you love.

Alexandra Butler is a professional makeup artist and creator of the http://www.eventbrite.com/org/2379669896?s=11889566" rel="nofollow - makeup education tour. Her work has been featured on brides across the globe and celebs on the red carpet. Follow her on https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraButlerMUA" rel="nofollow - - Instagram and https://twitter.com/themuaalex" rel="nofollow -

Replies:
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

are you asking people to care or if they care?

If they care

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:24pm
my classmate had bad acne like those pictured and suddenly her skin cleared up this year. thank heavens.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:25pm
I wonder what is there skin regiment?

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:25pm
eta:

Smile

etfa: And I dun tol y'all bout drag-assin into threads on pages 2, 3, 4+ with the quotables.

Y'all gon learn today! LOL

Originally posted by tasty0619 on page 2 tasty0619 on page 2 wrote:

I am tired of this trend of picking on ppl's before and after makeup photos. I'm tired of the black women I come into contact with bragging how they "don't need alla that" When in fact they could ALL use a little (or a lot of) something to look better

I don't have bad acne or scarring, but I feel sorry for those that do.

Originally posted by Eden on page 4 of 5 or somewhere Eden on page 4 of 5 or somewhere wrote:

didn't read but

#teamfoolindeseniccas #teammakeupbeforehewakeup

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:26pm
Must be hard to have it this bad, though. Some people will spent all their waking hours at the derm's office and nothing works

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:26pm
she is a artist. no doubt.   i do wonder how the make up looks in person tho...

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

Trust that anyone who suffers from acne this severe has probably seen more doctors than they can count. Some conditions are resistant to treatment

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:28pm
anyway im not judging..im trying to figure out how to contour my nose...not to make it look smaller..i just like the way the highlighted bridge looks...can i just highlight my bridge farraface?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

she is a artist. no doubt.   i do wonder how the make up looks in person tho...

Yep, she is really skilled. I do wonder what it looks like in person for the second girl because it's obvious she's had a lot of nose contouring. The first one, not so much. It's kinda sad because you can see the prettiness even with the acne marks

Edited: Not true, now that I look closer, the first one has had some contouring as well. It's just more dramatic in the second pic

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:29pm

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:30pm
i've only highlighted down my nose...im not good at contouring, but my nose does appear smaller in photos

Posted By: happy 4b
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:30pm
What causes this severe kind of acne? It seems like nothing can fix it.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by happy 4b happy 4b wrote:

hormones. genetics. I guess the scarring is the worst part because a pimple can always go away but the marks are permanent

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

hormones. genetics. I guess the scarring is the worst part because a pimple can always go away but the marks are permanent

I don't have perfect skin but I am glad I don't have acne. Can't imagine having to deal with how to cover it up everyday. Pretty girl either way.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:35pm
Just put on a clay mask bc I wanted to play in some makeup up tonight.

Gonna try contouring tonight.
Not my nose though I like my big ole nose.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Also food sensitivities/allergies. Undiagnosed medical conditions (especially kidney or liver).

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:38pm
I am tired of this trend of picking on ppl's before and after makeup photos. I'm tired of the black women I come into contact with bragging how they "don't need alla that" When in fact they could ALL use a little (or a lot of) something to look better

I don't have bad acne or scarring, but I feel sorry for those that do.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

anyway im not judging..im trying to figure out how to contour my nose...not to make it look smaller..i just like the way the highlighted bridge looks...can i just highlight my bridge farraface?

Yep. With concealer a shade or 2 lighter than your skin.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Just put on a clay mask bc I wanted to play in some makeup up tonight.

Gonna try contouring tonight.
Not my nose though I like my big ole nose.

post picsBig smile

i dont need to do my cheekbones bc i have cheekbones but i like the defined bridge look
i ordered a coastal scents concealer pack

and the light concealer also doubles as realistic scalp color for my silk topLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:45pm
@tasty: Yeah, I don't have bad acne either, it's mostly a pimple here and there and it's under control but I've had kp for the longest, so I know what it's like to have a skin disorder that you can't fix no matter how many derms you go to or regimens you try

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:47pm
I'm tired of the bashing too. It's really ridiculous and shows how men have really done a number on the mentality of women.< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:48pm
I think I will.

I saw an older black lady today and she looked so nice all made up.
But she looked pink really pink.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Eden.
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:50pm
didn't read but

#teamfoolindeseniccas #teammakeupbeforehewakeup

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

I'm tired of the bashing too. It's really ridiculous and shows how men have really done a number on the mentality of women.< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

Can't say men are 100% to blame

Yeah, I have to agree with that. They're part of the problem but it's actually women that are the most critical of other women's looks.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Yep. With concealer a shade or 2 lighter than your skin.

and then a lil bronzer on top?

-------------

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:51pm
she made them look really good and they were already attractive, beneath the acne.

there is a difference between needing make up b/c of skin conditions and those who see flaws that don't exist and can't leave the house without it piled on.  some people look like clowns.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:52pm

I think I will.

wait...what does that mean? was she lighskinned w/a pink undertone?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:55pm

I think I will.

wait...what does that mean? was she lighskinned w/a pink undertone?

She was medium brown with a whole bunch of Mac that oxidized red I'm guessing.
I remember her looking really nice and put together but with a terrible pink tint.

Surprisingly those two things coexisted lol

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:00pm

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Can't say men are 100% to blame
I would say that too but it's hard to fight something that is in the human psyche now. It's taught through images we see on tv, magazines, etc. And it's been going on for centuries really.

I'm reading Sister Citizen now and I think Melissa Perry is on to something regarding the psychological effects of shaming. It is very pervasive, almost systemic in cultures not just in the US but around the world. And maybe our part is that women buy into it.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:05pm

You can set the highlighter with a lighter powder then buff your regular powder into to the edges of that lighter color.

http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/contouring-before-after-pics-do-you-have-any_topic344211_page3.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/contouring-before-after-pics-do-you-have-any_topic344211_page3.html

Even if you ain't tryina do "ALLA THAT" watch the vid! The techniques are good. And I'm finna quit answering you TTT heauxs's MU questions. Ermm

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:07pm

You can set the highlighter with a lighter powder then buff your regular powder into to the edges of that lighter color.

http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/contouring-before-after-pics-do-you-have-any_topic344211_page3.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/contouring-before-after-pics-do-you-have-any_topic344211_page3.html

Even if you ain't tryina do "ALLA THAT" watch the vid! The techniques are good. And I'm finna quit answering you TTT heauxs's MU questions. Ermm

noooo...don't do thatCry
thanks for the link boo

eta: FYI: i went into that thread once and watched the video. so there! hmph

-------------

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:07pm
I really don't give a damn. 

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:10pm

I love MHP almost as much as I love FLOTUS.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:10pm
That subject interests me Patti.
Specifically where it concerns the black community well I won't delve that far ill just keep it to things I've personally observed where I'm from.

Lots of folk see shame as not a negative trait to have.
I remember my great grandma saying do not trust a person that cannot be shamed.
And I hear variations of this sentiment all the time.

Ok this is an entirely different subject but I was waiting in the records office to add a class .
I sat and waited patiently .
This white guy comes through the hallway loudly complaining about a professor having a vendetta against him.
He makes small talk with me and says he was about to stretch.

So he gets in the middle of the floor with advisors and counselors having to step to the other side bc he is stretching for his life guard session.

It blew my mind I would be so shamed to make another person uncomfortable in that way.
He caused a spectacle of himself.

I thought to myself about white men thinking the world is their oyster .

I would just never do such a thing .

Ok that's off topic but it was interesting to me

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:12pm
hmm i think it's time i get a new foundation...i feel like mac does make me red

-------------

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:16pm

they both don't look like they really have acne...it looks more like scarring and their skin might just be sensitive to scarring

-------------
Y'all should be calling white ppl "Mizungus". Get into the movement!!

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:16pm
I Feel Women should feel good inside and out . Think about all of the famous people we call beautiul without makeup or surgery.  Many have serious facial flaws.

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:21pm
Y'all  should read the comments left on beautybyjj, destinygodley, BisaNation or any other black YT guru's "foundation routine" videos, then go read the comments left on Diamondsandheels14, iheartmakeup92 or any of the other white gurus (with cystic acne) "foundation routine" videos and compare.  Geek 

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:26pm

It makes me red too. I don't wear makeup often so thought it was my poor skills.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

Wink

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:32pm

Y'all  should read the comments left on beautybyjj, destinygodley, BisaNation or any other black YT guru's "foundation routine" videos, then go read the comments left on Diamondsandheels14, iheartmakeup92 or any of the other white gurus (with cystic acne) "foundation routine" videos and compare.  Geek 

u mean folks went easier or were more understanding about the skin issues and how they looked without make up.... on the white guru's channels as opposed to the black ones?  I've seen it and I believe it.  Folks have gone in on Destiny and JJ on here.

-------------

Posted By: ilovelife
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:47pm
I used to have bad acne and I think it was mostly due to age, as I got older it went away and now I've been using a variety of products instead of a regime like ProActive, etc. I think MUA are "artist" skin is their canvas. I love playing in my makeup and contouring and highlighting. I do think the ladies in the pictures should really focus on the care of their skin and not try to hide behind it, too much make up can cause pore clogging and make skin worse

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:49pm
@diva: That and the fact that 99.9% of the white bashing comes from males and the white women defend the hell out of the the gurus.

On here and 'black youtube', the bashing that black gurus get comes from (in order by %) BW, BM, WM, WW. They are defending by (again, in order) BW, WW, WM, BM.

@ilovelife: Hey gurl, heyyyyy!

eta

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:51pm
I understand why they wear makeup and don't blame them. I would too if my skin looked like that as I wouldn't feel comfortable going out in public like that.

However, it also has to be accepted that people may not find you attractive sans the makeup and if and/or when they see you without it on. Yes, underneath the acne you may be a beautiful person, however, you are using makeup to portray something that isn't real no matter how little or how much you use. When you have makeup on, that's not how you actually look even if you did just brighten up the corners of your eyes. People have the right to be shocked at the contrast. I just don't feel they have the right to go in the way they do on other people's actual looks.

With that said, this person is amazingly skilled. She does a great job.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
-Midna

Posted By: ilovelife
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:55pm
HEY HUN!!!!

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:57pm
For instance, I remember one of my psychology professor's speaking about their wife. He said told us how he had a conversation with his wife where she asked him if he saw her without makeup when they were first met, would he have courted her. He told he no. He told us it was a while before he saw her without makeup and he really liked her and just had to get used to her real face.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
-Midna

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:58pm

It's most likely other black women doing that on beautybyjj & destinygodly videos.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:05pm

@diva: That and the fact that 99.9% of the white bashing comes from males and the white women defend the hell out of the the gurus.

On here and 'black youtube', the bashing that black gurus get comes from (in order by %) BW, BM, WM, WW. They are defending by (again, in order) BW, WW, WM, BM.

@ilovelife: Hey gurl, heyyyyy!

eta

IC.  Iono......I think that these days it's kinda in to bash females for wearing make up.  With this whole barbie thing that has taken off in these last years.  With dudes gettin' "fooled" by well done tranny's. 

Females get judged for wearing make up and dudes are scared that females are dudes because the make up look too smooth.  Iono....

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:10pm
If you're pretty without makeup then that's a good thing to me.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:22pm
@babyK....it's a good thing to everybody but....not everyone was so blessed.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:26pm
I'm bored Ima throw a random question out there. If you only look good with makeup then are you actually pretty or just average?

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

For instance, I remember one of my psychology professor's speaking about their wife. He said told us how he had a conversation with his wife where she asked him if he saw her without makeup when they were first met, would he have courted her. He told he no. He told us it was a while before he saw her without makeup and he really liked her and just had to get used to her real face.
Damn!!! Most man hate when the girlfriend or wife wear make up.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:28pm
Dudes gettin fooled by trannys
Dudes gettin fooled be 12 year olds
Dudes gettin fooled by pit bulls

It is so hard out here for a dude.....

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:33pm

Dudes gettin fooled by trannys
Dudes gettin fooled be 12 year olds
Dudes gettin fooled by pit bulls

It is so hard out here for a dude.....
LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:34pm
Ppl act like make up just started. No maybe make up as we know it but even in the beginning women have been crushing berries to add a little color to their lips and cheeks.

Things like that.
This isn't a new phenomenon

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:37pm
IA! jones but youtube gurus have opened my eyes to some really draggish looks..... I be like gurllllllllllllll.......... LOL!!!

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:37pm

Ppl act like make up just started. No maybe make up as we know it but even in the beginning women have been crushing berries to add a little color to their lips and cheeks.

Things like that.
This isn't a new phenomenon

like ppl weren't rubbing ashes under their eyes as eyeliner...pshaw

all these new nic.cas can go suck a tranny d(ck

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:45pm

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:47pm
Umm, damn, wow. I hope the girl that wrote that thread in Relationships didn't look like that before and after. I would've been shocked as sh*t too

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:50pm
i have a pic on my insta, i looked so caked but i love it so.

iunno why.

makeup is so lovely to me. i think i buy a new foundations and shadows every other week.

i bought mat velvet + the other day and i hate it. i like the cheap ass mabelline fit brand i bought a week before more than it.

going to try lancome and nars next.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:50pm
When I wear foundation,Revlon Colorstay in Caramel is a perfect match. Lasts me all day with no rub off. Great

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:52pm
I have Mac skinfinish natural that I use as foundation

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:52pm
mac oxidizes too red and the reps tell every other coloured that walks in that they're nw45.

maybe it's just yorkdale. i hate them.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

IA! jones but youtube gurus have opened my eyes to some really draggish looks..... I be like gurllllllllllllll.......... LOL!!!

A lot of gurus...well the one's I watch, also have "My everyday makeup routine" videos where the look is very neutral/natural. With an exception for the one's who work as makeup artists and/or at makeup counters, they don't wear those looks on a daily.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:56pm
My MUFE HD is my holy grail. I do like MAC Studio Fix with a fluffy brush when I just want a little evening out.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:57pm

I don't care for MAC

I'm using MUFE again

A lot of people seem to like MUFE but I just can't find my shade in that brand. The ones I've tried are even more reddish than MAC...

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:57pm
http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/member_profile.asp?PF=24213

Ermm

If one of y'all with a the Twitter/Instagram/Facebook could/would send this heaux the following message for/from me: Act like you got some damn sense this time! Angry

I'd be ever so grateful. TIA! Smile

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Eden. Eden. wrote:

mac oxidizes too red and the reps tell every other coloured that walks in that they're nw45.

maybe it's just yorkdale. i hate them.
Yup. But for me and everyone else that was there that day was NC45.

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:00pm

i have a pic on my insta, i looked so caked but i love it so.

iunno why.

makeup is so lovely to me. i think i buy a new foundations and shadows every other week.

i bought mat velvet + the other day and i hate it. i like the cheap ass mabelline fit brand i bought a week before more than it.

Spritz your face and/or brush with Fix+ then apply MV and see how it works for you.

eta: And MAC is launching some new foundation shades in March or April....I think

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:04pm

[QUOTE=Eden.]i have a pic on my insta, i looked so caked but i love it so.

iunno why.

Nars is my go to foundation. Expensive but worth the money

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:12pm
Love MUFE HD,  I'm now wearing Revlon color stay.  I want to try Chanel next.  Depends on who actually carries my shade. Don't really care for MAC.  Overhyped IMO.  and like the ladies said...errybody's a NW45.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:14pm
I edited this into my post on page 1, but Imma post it back here too:

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:31pm
i agree with what she's saying, women sound lost as hell tearing down other women and buying into that false advertising mess.

i read sister citizen this summer. i want to re read it again. i was just in a rush to get what others were on about that i never really took it in.

jolie have you ever tried nacara or vashanti? how you like them? are there any other canadian ethnic brands you know about?

I feel like I'm sleeping on black opal and iman. I've been saying I was going buy either since grade 10.

I think I have a sample of fix + somewhere in my closet. hope it works. it takes so damn long to set an dry. I feel like pocahontas and em smearing war paint on my face with my brush because I can see the strokes.

-------------

Posted By: Finesseful
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:37pm
I'm too baby faced to wear make up. I'm scared I'll look like a skank.

-------------
Make love, not war.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:41pm

I feel like I'm sleeping on black opal and iman. I've been saying I was going buy either since grade 10.

You are. Iman Luxury Radiance Liquid and BO True Color Liquid Foundation are bomb.com.

BO had a foundation very much like Mat Velvet several years ago. Identical coverage, identical finish, damn near identical packaging and it was only 8-9 bucks. I loved that stuff. Then they DC'd it.Disapprove 

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:44pm
I wouldn't date a girl who had to wear makeup all the time to hide her skin problems. Or let's just say I wouldn't date a girl with skin problems.

-------------
yo

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

you have flawless skin.  and you're light so it basically glows.  your face is like 2 pm on a Summer day.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

you have flawless skin.  and you're light so it basically glows.  your face is like 2 pm on a Summer day.

You gone make me feel tender inside. no homo. Cry

-------------
Make love, not war.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:12pm

You are. Iman Luxury Radiance Liquid and BO True Color Liquid Foundation are bomb.com.

BO had a foundation very much like Mat Velvet several years ago. Identical coverage, identical finish, damn near identical packaging and it was only 8-9 bucks. I loved that stuff. Then they DC'd it.Disapprove 

I will always sleep on Iman as long as I can't try it and return it if the shade is off. Only the stores that don't have a try and return policy are the ones that carry her makeup line

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:17pm
ugh i just want Farra to come to my house and play w/my face

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:19pm
I'd rather find a solution to my acne problems rather than cover it up with makeup. 

-------------
Make love, not war.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:20pm

I'd rather find a solution to my acne problems rather than cover it up with makeup. 

why not both? /taco toddler

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:20pm

This. I make sure I see my derm every 3 months to keep looking good

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:22pm
Ye, the bss's round my way won't let me return. You gotta have atleast a 7 day exchange or sumn if it's over 10 (iman) bucks come on na.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:24pm

why not both? /taco toddler

LOL iono.

-------------
Make love, not war.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

] I will always sleep on Iman as long as I can't try it and return it if the shade is off. Only the stores that don't have a try and return policy are the ones that carry her makeup line

Confused Iman is sold at WalMart, Walgreens & Ulta (some). All 3 have lenient return policies. As long as you have your receipt, they'll take damn near anything back. 

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:36pm

] I will always sleep on Iman as long as I can't try it and return it if the shade is off. Only the stores that don't have a try and return policy are the ones that carry her makeup line

Confused Iman is sold at WalMart, Walgreens & Ulta (some). All 3 have lenient return policies. As long as you have your receipt, they'll take damn near anything back. 
Those stores (minus Ulta, bc I haven't seen one here in NYC. We have Sephora) don't take back open makeup. I remember associates at Walgreenes told me that they don't do that but would make an exception if I had an allergic reaction to it

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:54pm
@Scorpio: I have never had a problem getting a refund at Walgreens.

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/shophelp/returns_help_main.jsp

Q: What if I need to return cosmetics or electronics?

A: Returns for cosmetics or electronics are handled at the discretion of the store manager, usually in the form of a Walgreens gift card.

Date Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:59pm

@Scorpio: I have never had a problem getting a refund at Walgreens.

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/shophelp/returns_help_main.jsp

Q: What if I need to return cosmetics or electronics?

A: Returns for cosmetics or electronics are handled at the discretion of the store manager,
usually in the form of a Walgreens gift card.

That's not a concrete policy like CVS or Rite Aid, it's up to manager discretion and I guess that manager didn't want to do it. Let CVS start to carry, I'll try it, because around me the only places I have access to hat sell Iman are Walgreens, Duane Reade and Target. The nearest Walmart is in Long Island and u need a car to get there. So that's a no-go

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:07am
Ulta? I may just go to see if I can find my color match there and then go to target or online and buy it because I dislike giving ulta my negro dollars.Approve

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:18am
Right now I'm mixing two shades of Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse (Caramel and Cocoa). I was really into MAC for a while. I mixed two shades with them as well. I went through quite a few compacts of Studio Fix but it did me dirty in pictures. I like the liquid though.

-------------
I mean damn can my p**** be tight?

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:23am
I don't get makeup it runs all on Ya clothes when You workout...

Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Right now I'm mixing two shades of Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse (Caramel and Cocoa). I was really into MAC for a while. I mixed two shades with them as well. I went through quite a few compacts of Studio Fix but it did me dirty in pictures. I like the liquid though.
If Dream Matte didn't rub off, it would be a fav. (great for pics). But Revlon liquid combo/oily Colorstay works then Covergirl Queen liquid in 725 Golden Honey or Maybelline Fit Me in 350 or 355 (depending on the season) are also good

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:25am
I am far too lazy to deal with makeup everyday. Oh and that ish is forever getting in my eyes. I wear hard contacts which makes everything in my eye feel like glass.

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Why are you wearing makeup to the gym?

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:33am

Those stores (minus Ulta, bc I haven't seen one here in NYC. We have Sephora) don't take back open makeup. I remember associates at Walgreenes told me that they don't do that but would make an exception if I had an allergic reaction to it
You can purchase IMAN & Sephora on HSN . No questions ask 30 day return policy.

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:35am
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

I don't
Joggers downtown in my city have it runnin all over they tops...

Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:37am
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

You can purchase IMAN & Sephora on HSN . No questions ask 30 day return policy.
Thanks

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 12:39am

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

I don't
Joggers downtown in my city have it runnin all over they tops...

Why is anyone wearing makeup while they workout? 

Maybe they're just dirty?

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Print Page | Close Window