Print Page | Close Window

Woman sues dr for telling her shes HIV+

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353768
Printed Date: Feb 22 2018 at 7:50am

Topic: Woman sues dr for telling her shes HIV+
Posted By: ModelCitizen
Subject: Woman sues dr for telling her shes HIV+
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:17pm
Woman sues doctor for informing her she was HIV positive
Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It’s a patient’s worst nightmare. A Harlem woman is suing a doctor for informing her she was HIV positive, the Huffington Post reports.

The 31-year-old woman is identified in the lawsuit as “Jane Doe” to protect her privacy. She said she became a patient of Dr. Pavel Yutsis who violated state law by tricking her into submitting blood for a HIV test without her written authorization.

Most states require written consent before administering an HIV test, and patient counseling if the test comes back positive.

“I was tricked. I never signed any paper,” the woman told DNAinfo.com last week. “It was a slap in the face.”

According to the lawsuit, the woman had undergone gastric-bypass surgery at another clinic when a nutritionist referred her to Dr. Yutsis’ Lifex Medical Care clinic for treatment of a Vitamin B12 deficiency, due to her low red blood count (anemia).

Most healthy people get their vitamin B12 from their diet. When normal treatment failed to elevate her white blood count to within normal range, Dr. Yutsis recommended she take an HIV test to determine the reason for her low white blood count. But since vitamin B12 is not normally associated with the white blood cell count, the woman refused.

She explained to Dr. Yutsis that she was only concerned with healing from her surgery. “I wasn’t really concerned about anything else,” she told DNAinfo.com New York.

On Sept. 9, 2011, Dr. Yutsis’ assistant asked Jane Doe to submit to another blood test. According to the lawsuit, Jane Doe “was unaware that her blood was going to be tested for HIV.”

“She was never asked to sign a form consenting to the test and was not given counseling to prepare her for the administration of an HIV test,” the lawsuit says.

On Sept. 22, Jane Doe was informed by Yutsis that she tested positive for HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

“My body got numb. I was not good after that,” the woman said. “I was tricked with something I had no clue about.”

Jane Doe claims her test results were not kept confidential. She said her file was left open near where “a group of employees” were chatting.

As she left the doctor’s office, she said she was stopped by one of the employees who tried to console her.

Replies:
Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:22pm
Stern Smile I would be glad I was told but that's just me. If I were her I would be trying to find whoever gave it to me and suing them if they knew instead of suing the doctor.

I can see if she was suing as far as her information not being kept confidential but not for actually being told she had it.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:25pm
o_O

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:26pm
She need to sue that nicca...

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:26pm

Jane Doe claims her test results were not kept confidential. She said her file was left open near where “a group of employees” were chatting.

As she left the doctor’s office, she said she was stopped by one of the employees who tried to console her.

well she does have a great case against them if this is true ^^ they violated HIPAA .. man I wish these test were mandatory not optionalSleepy

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:28pm
At first this was a case of basic bitchery....but if her file was left open for anyone to see...get yo money boo boo.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Stern Smile I would be glad I was told but that's just me. If I were her I would be trying to find whoever gave it to me and suing them if they knew instead of suing the doctor.

I can see if she was suing as far as her information not being kept confidential but not for actually being told she had it.   < she did not need to know this, she did not sign a form wanting to be disclosed this info.

she is right the docotor did not need to disclose this fact. This woman is very smart, I wonder how she got it. I feel sorry for her tbh.

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

<div id="post_message_11883198" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; : rgb229, 229, 229; ">

<div style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; : rgb229, 229, 229; ">__________________

[/QUOTE>

well she does have a great case against them if this is true ^^ they violated HIPPA .. man I wish these test were mandatory not optionalSleepy

does hippa affect employees if they can be directly or indirectly responsible for/administer your care?

furthermore, does she have proof that the page opened contained the information in plain sight?

its kinda hard to prove.. but she might win

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:30pm
That lady better be happy. Now she can get early treatment.

-------------
Come take my hand and lets go Nala-land, where all your sexiest dreams will come true!

Posted By: Sang Froid
Didn't this happen before?

-------------

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

<div id="post_message_11883198" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; : rgb229, 229, 229; ">

<div style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; : rgb229, 229, 229; ">__________________

[/QUOTE>

well she does have a great case against them if this is true ^^ they violated HIPAA .. man I wish these test were mandatory not optionalSleepy

does hippa affect employees if they can be directly or indirectly responsible for/administer your care?

yes and no, depends who they are and what they do with your info. Like a cna or an rn both are responisble for ones care. But if a cna looks into her file she/he violated hipaa.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:31pm

[/QUOTE>

well she does have a great case against them if this is true ^^ they violated HIPPA .. man I wish these test were mandatory not optionalSleepy

yup

so if im your care giver i do not need to know if you are hiv positive?

-------------

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:31pm
I think this story is a few weeks old. But yea, this bish is basic as all hell

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:34pm

I can see if she was suing as far as her information not being kept confidential but not for actually being told she had it.   < she did not need to know this, she did not sign a form wanting to be disclosed this info.

she is right the docotor did not need to disclose this fact. This woman is very smart, I wonder how she got it. I feel sorry for her tbh.

More like its something she probably didn't WANT to know. Even if she didn't sign a paper IMO I think that is something one would need to know that way she doesn't spread it. I'm sure if she hadn't been told she wouldn't have thought to get tested to see if she had it anytime soon.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

explain please. She knows her rights, she seems to be the opposite of that actually.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:37pm

More like its something she probably didn't WANT to know = we don't know that. Even if she didn't sign a paper IMO  Not trying to be rude, but your opinion does not matter in this equation. The only thing that matters is if the doctor and other staff followed the right protocols.I think that is something one would need to know that way she doesn't spread it. I'm sure if she hadn't been told she wouldn't have thought to get tested to see if she had it anytime soon.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:38pm

explain please. She knows her rights, she seems to be the opposite of that actually.

Any person who would rather not know they have HIV is basic as hell IMO.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:39pm

[/QUOTE>

yes and no, depends who they are and what they do with your info. Like a cna or an rn both are responisble for ones care. But if a cna looks into her file she/he violated hippa.

i dont think thats correct f8.. 
i know that a medical assistant and caregiver are allowed to know the patients info.. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:39pm

More like its something she probably didn't WANT to know = we don't know that. Even if she didn't sign a paper IMO  Not trying to be rude, but your opinion does not matter in this equation. The only thing that matters is if the doctor and other staff followed the right protocols.I think that is something one would need to know that way she doesn't spread it. I'm sure if she hadn't been told she wouldn't have thought to get tested to see if she had it anytime soon.

And thats why it's my OPINION. Nobody is saying it's a fact.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:41pm
theyre just not able to share the info.. 
but yea the info shouldnt be out in plain sight. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:45pm

Original article I've read... I felt for her until her parting statements. But that's just me *shrug*

By James Fanelli, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

NEW YORK CITY — A Harlem woman who didn't want to know whether she had contracted HIV is suing her doctor for breaking the news that she tested positive for the deadly virus.

The 31-year-old woman claims http://dr.yutsis.com/index.php" rel="nofollow - Dr. Pavel Yutsis violated state law by testing her without her consent and then delivering the devastating results — even though the revelation likely benefited her health.

"I was tricked. I never signed any paper," the woman, who filed her lawsuit as "Jane Doe" to protect her privacy, told DNAinfo.com last week. "It was a slap in the face."

Jane Doe became a patient of Yutsis during the summer of 2011, according to the lawsuit filed last month in Brooklyn Supreme Court. She had been recovering from recent gastric-bypass surgery when a nutritionist recommended she go to Yutsis's Sheepshead Bay clinic, http://dr.yutsis.com/index.php" rel="nofollow - Lifex Medical Care, for treatment of a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

After a number of visits, the woman still showed a shortage of white blood cells and low levels of B12, which helps in the proper formation of red blood cells. Yutsis suggested she take an http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/tags/hivaids" rel="nofollow - HIV test, but she declined, explaining she was only focused on healing from her surgery, the lawsuit says.

"I wasn't really concerned about anything else," she told DNAinfo.com New York, noting she already had a primary care physician.

On Sept. 9, 2011, a Yutsis assistant told Jane Doe that she needed to draw more blood for testing. She assumed it was to see if the treatment had worked and "was unaware that her blood was going to be tested for HIV," the lawsuit says.

"She was never asked to sign a form consenting to the test and was not given counseling to prepare her for the administration of an HIV test," the lawsuit says.

On Sept. 22, during another visit, Jane Doe claims Yutsis told her she tested positive for HIV, the virus that leads to AIDS. The results — and how they were collected — dumbfounded her.

"My body got numb. I was not good after that," the woman said. "I was tricked with something I had no clue about."

As she left Yutsis' office, she also learned the results were not kept confidential, the lawsuit says. A group of employees had allegedly been chatting with her file open. One of them allegedly stopped the woman and tried to hearten her by noting that sometimes another HIV test shows the initial results were wrong.

New York's public health law requires the written consent of a patient before administering an HIV test. A doctor or health-care provider must also offer counseling, explaining to the patient, among other things, how HIV is contracted and how testing can be done anonymously. In revealing the results, the health-care provider must offer more counseling and referrals for emotional support and medical treatment, according to the law.

The law also requires the HIV-infected patient's name be placed on a state Health Department registry. When possible, partners of the infected person are notified, but the infected person's name is not disclosed.

Yutsis did not return a call or email for comment.

Jane Doe's lawyer, Daniel Pepitone, said he understands the health benefit of testing for the infection, but said Yutsis violated his client's right to choose.

"These are personal choices that the law has specifically carved out to make the specific decision," Pepitone said. "We're all aware of the value of finding out, but she has her own reasons. We need to protect her rights under the law."

Dr. Charles Camosy, an ethicist at Fordham University, said Jane Doe had every right to reject the test, noting Western medicine's shift away from "physician paternalism," in which the mindset used to be that the doctor knows best. Now the emphasis is on informed consent, with patients deciding what's best for themselves.

"There are considerations that are important for a patient to weigh that have nothing to do with medicine," Camosy said. He noted that in the Jane Doe case, it's possible "the stress in getting the test would be worse than not knowing."

"Maybe she'll have a nervous breakdown and not be able to function," he added. "That's not something the physician is prepared for."

Camosy acknowledged that the possible transmission of HIV to a partner complicates the situation, but said society doesn't mandate testing.

"If there is no law or regulation that the people already decided," he said, "then I still think the physician has no business doing it."

Jane Doe said she has since gone to another clinic, where she consented to an HIV test that was administered correctly.

The test also showed she is HIV positive.

When asked whether Yutsis's disclosure benefited her health, she simply said it wasn't his place to decide.

"That was a low blow," she said. "That was a sucker punch."

The woman was also vague about her current health.

"I'm working on things," she said, noting her gastric-bypass surgery has helped her lose a substantial amount of weight.

"I'm slim and trim and sexy," she said. "If I turn sideways, I'll be marked absent."Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:46pm

that's why i said your opionon " yes it is good that you have one" doesn't matter  in this equation. How do you know that she doesn't know she had AIDS already? How do we know that if  she has been living with AIDs for years ; and to be reminded that after going through a procedure to physically become healthy wasn't relivieng the hurt. We don't know any of this, so to judge on things we don't know would be faulty. What we do know is that the doctor was wrong, in not giving her a form for her to sign in consent of the test.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:47pm

Original article I've read... I felt for her until her parting statements. But that's just me *shrug*

By James Fanelli, DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

NEW YORK CITY — A Harlem woman who didn't want to know whether she had contracted HIV is suing her doctor for breaking the news that she tested positive for the deadly virus.

The 31-year-old woman claims http://dr.yutsis.com/index.php" rel="nofollow - Dr. Pavel Yutsis violated state law by testing her without her consent and then delivering the devastating results — even though the revelation likely benefited her health.

"I was tricked. I never signed any paper," the woman, who filed her lawsuit as "Jane Doe" to protect her privacy, told DNAinfo.com last week. "It was a slap in the face."

Jane Doe became a patient of Yutsis during the summer of 2011, according to the lawsuit filed last month in Brooklyn Supreme Court. She had been recovering from recent gastric-bypass surgery when a nutritionist recommended she go to Yutsis's Sheepshead Bay clinic, http://dr.yutsis.com/index.php" rel="nofollow - Lifex Medical Care, for treatment of a Vitamin B12 deficiency.

After a number of visits, the woman still showed a shortage of white blood cells and low levels of B12, which helps in the proper formation of red blood cells. Yutsis suggested she take an http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/tags/hivaids" rel="nofollow - HIV test, but she declined, explaining she was only focused on healing from her surgery, the lawsuit says.

"I wasn't really concerned about anything else," she told DNAinfo.com New York, noting she already had a primary care physician.

On Sept. 9, 2011, a Yutsis assistant told Jane Doe that she needed to draw more blood for testing. She assumed it was to see if the treatment had worked and "was unaware that her blood was going to be tested for HIV," the lawsuit says.

"She was never asked to sign a form consenting to the test and was not given counseling to prepare her for the administration of an HIV test," the lawsuit says.

On Sept. 22, during another visit, Jane Doe claims Yutsis told her she tested positive for HIV, the virus that leads to AIDS. The results — and how they were collected — dumbfounded her.

"My body got numb. I was not good after that," the woman said. "I was tricked with something I had no clue about."

As she left Yutsis' office, she also learned the results were not kept confidential, the lawsuit says. A group of employees had allegedly been chatting with her file open. One of them allegedly stopped the woman and tried to hearten her by noting that sometimes another HIV test shows the initial results were wrong.

New York's public health law requires the written consent of a patient before administering an HIV test. A doctor or health-care provider must also offer counseling, explaining to the patient, among other things, how HIV is contracted and how testing can be done anonymously. In revealing the results, the health-care provider must offer more counseling and referrals for emotional support and medical treatment, according to the law.

The law also requires the HIV-infected patient's name be placed on a state Health Department registry. When possible, partners of the infected person are notified, but the infected person's name is not disclosed.

Yutsis did not return a call or email for comment.

Jane Doe's lawyer, Daniel Pepitone, said he understands the health benefit of testing for the infection, but said Yutsis violated his client's right to choose.

"These are personal choices that the law has specifically carved out to make the specific decision," Pepitone said. "We're all aware of the value of finding out, but she has her own reasons. We need to protect her rights under the law."

Dr. Charles Camosy, an ethicist at Fordham University, said Jane Doe had every right to reject the test, noting Western medicine's shift away from "physician paternalism," in which the mindset used to be that the doctor knows best. Now the emphasis is on informed consent, with patients deciding what's best for themselves.

"There are considerations that are important for a patient to weigh that have nothing to do with medicine," Camosy said. He noted that in the Jane Doe case, it's possible "the stress in getting the test would be worse than not knowing."

"Maybe she'll have a nervous breakdown and not be able to function," he added. "That's not something the physician is prepared for."

Camosy acknowledged that the possible transmission of HIV to a partner complicates the situation, but said society doesn't mandate testing.

"If there is no law or regulation that the people already decided," he said, "then I still think the physician has no business doing it."

Jane Doe said she has since gone to another clinic, where she consented to an HIV test that was administered correctly.

The test also showed she is HIV positive.

When asked whether Yutsis's disclosure benefited her health, she simply said it wasn't his place to decide.

"That was a low blow," she said. "That was a sucker punch."

The woman was also vague about her current health.

"I'm working on things," she said, noting her gastric-bypass surgery has helped her lose a substantial amount of weight.

"I'm slim and trim and sexy," she said. "If I turn sideways, I'll be marked absent."Sleepy

thank you blaque.. she know she is not right lol.. but she can and probably will still win her case LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:51pm

that's why i said your opionon " yes it is good that you have one" doesn't matter  in this equation. How do you know that she doesn't know she had AIDS already? How do we know that if  she has been living with AIDs for years ; and to be reminded that after going through a procedure to physically become healthy wasn't relivieng the hurt. We don't know any of this, so to judge on things we don't know would be faulty. What we do know is that the doctor was wrong, in not giving her a form for her to sign in consent of the test.

We dont know if she knew or not but it comes off as if she didn't know already especially if the article blaque just posted said she went and got another test afterwards. I never said the doctor wasn't wrong but it still doesn't change my opinion. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

[/QUOTE>

yes and no, depends who they are and what they do with your info. Like a cna or an rn both are responisble for ones care. But if a cna looks into her file she/he violated hippa.

i know that a medical assistant and caregiver are allowed to know the patients info.. 

I'm 100% sure girl that what I said is true, believe me If a cna not a caregiver, because there is a difference in the two. If a cna goes into a patients file to read it, they have violated Hippa. And medical ass. mostly deal with pt records. Idk why you brought them up anywayLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:55pm

We dont know if she knew or not but it comes off as if she didn't know already especially if the article blaque just posted said she went and got another test afterwards. I never said the doctor wasn't wrong but it still doesn't change my opinion. 

no it  doesn't LOL but my point was already proven already, thx blaque and she will win this case.. I say more power to her LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 7:58pm
To ME it does but whatever. Like I said that's my opinion Ermm

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:06pm

I'm 100% sure girl that what I said is true, believe me If a cna not a caregiver, because there is a difference in the two. If a cna goes into a patients file to read it, they have violated Hippa. And medical ass. mostly deal with pt records. Idk why you brought them up anywayLOL

i brought them up because those are the ones that i know about for a fact because i have experience with those.. 

i am not positive about cna but a caregiver and cna are similar and id think that if a caregiver can know the patients info the cna can too. 

as far as medical assistant i was more so referring to a clinical, not admin. 

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Yeah...so she could pay for her meds....

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Yeah...so she could pay for her meds....
Dead

-------------

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:12pm

A cna does not need to know a pt's HIV status to give care.  That's why universal precautions are in place.  However, a nurse does need to know, in order to assure proper assessments of the patient's condition.  Reading a file if you are not giving medical care is a violation of HIPPA.  Discussing a patient with anyone who is not giving care is a violation of HIPPA.

I would highly doubt that any doctor worth his/her salt would touch a patient during surgery without doing an HIV test.  I know a doctor who died as a result of a cut during surgery on a Hep C positive patient. But I can bet the surgeon who did her bypass knew.  That's why she was sent to a specialist.  It was most likely already in her medical record.

She most likely knew she had HIV.  She is butt-hurt because now a second doctor and staff know too.   She may win a settlement, but that doen't mean she's right.  She'll get hush money, and probably go out and infect some poor sap, with her Miss New Booty attitude.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:14pm

Any person who would rather not know they have HIV is basic as hell IMO.
I feel that's a fact. Unless your suicidal/homicidal

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:16pm
i know cna's and when they give care they are given a run down (written) of patients illnesses. 

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:18pm

i know cna's and when they give care they are given a run down (written) of patients illnesses. 

A guy at my church passed from HIV a few months ago. 
The CNA did know because it was on his chart. 
IMO i do believe it is necessary 

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:23pm

i brought them up because those are the ones that i know about for a fact because i have experience with those.. 

i am not positive about cna but a caregiver and cna are similar and id think that if a caregiver can know the patients info the cna can too. 

as far as medical assistant i was more so referring to a clinical, not admin. 

but not the same different setting different rules. anywho she will win

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by iGotSunshine iGotSunshine wrote:

A guy at my church passed from HIV a few months ago. 
The CNA did know because it was on his chart. 
IMO i do believe it is necessary 

Yes, cna's may get a report, that will include a diagnosis: but if that is not what is being treated, it is generally not included.  Example, the pt has cancer, or is on certain kinds of precautions for mrsa, or vre or ecoli.

If they are giving care for circumstances involving the illness, they will be told.

But it is not generally discussed, nor do they need to know EVERYTHING in the pt's chart.  An aide don't need to know about hiv to get you a pitcher of water. ..

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

A cna does not need to know a pt's HIV status to give care.  That's why universal precautions are in place.  However, a nurse does need to know, in order to assure proper assessments of the patient's condition.  Reading a file if you are not giving medical care is a violation of HIPPA.  Discussing a patient with anyone who is not giving care is a violation of HIPPA.

I would highly doubt that any doctor worth his/her salt would touch a patient during surgery without doing an HIV test.  I know a doctor who died as a result of a cut during surgery on a Hep C positive patient. But I can bet the surgeon who did her bypass knew.  That's why she was sent to a specialist.  It was most likely already in her medical record.

She most likely knew she had HIV.  She is butt-hurt because now a second doctor and staff know too.   She may win a settlement, but that doen't mean she's right.  She'll get hush money, and probably go out and infect some poor sap, with her Miss New Booty attitude.

Clap   thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhannkk you.. woooohh had me repeating myself too many times lol

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:26pm
^^^
but a cna deals a lot with bodily fluids... 
that is an osha precaution. they need to know. (regarding hiv.. no not things like cancer)

no, they dont need to know everything in the chart.. i agree with that part. 

i think it also depends on the place.. i do know that cna's that go to ppls houses know most things. if its a convalescent home.. no. 

Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:27pm
I'm a cna in a hospital and one of the nurses and I was talking about patients who choose not have testing. She said she doesn't think its right they have the right to decide to have hiv testing because they can infect the nurse. I treat everyone with universal precautions because there are many more things in the hospital environment that is easier to catch than hiv. You have to walk on very thin lines with certain patients. Many of them are very ignorant and money hungry, so you have to cover your tracks as a healthcare provider or as I like to say Cover your Ass. I hope this doctor has good malpractice insurance.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:27pm
Wow...she just found out she has HIV and she's gloating about weight loss?

Yup, she was correctly assessed as basic lol.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:29pm
BTW, as a nursing student, I get curious and look at my patients chart sometimes. I am part of the nursing team so I can know whatever the nurse knows. I don't worry about certain things because I'm not the nurse, so there there are certain things I don't need to be concerned about to do my job right. However, whenever the doctor or nurse knows certain things, I have to make sure the patient does not know what we know because that can spell disaster ( family chaos, newly found hiv status, once they get discharged they are going to jail, all sorts of stuff)

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by kkscottdale kkscottdale wrote:

I'm a cna in a hospital and one of the nurses and I was talking about patients who choose not have testing. She said she doesn't think its right they have the right to decide to have hiv testing because they can infect the nurse. I treat everyone with universal precautions because there are many more things in the hospital environment that is easier to catch than hiv. You have to walk on very thin lines with certain patients. Many of them are very ignorant and money hungry, so you have to cover your tracks as a healthcare provider or as I like to say Cover your Ass. I hope this doctor has good malpractice insurance.

yup me too, because she is taking him to the cleanersClap

-------------

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:30pm
How dare you tell me I've inherited a house in Virginia.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:30pm

BTW, as a nursing student, I get curious and look at my patients chart sometimes. I am part of the nursing team so I can know whatever the nurse knows. I don't worry about certain things because I'm not the nurse, so there there are certain things I don't need to be concerned about to do my job right. However, whenever the doctor or nurse knows certain things, I have to make sure the patient does not know what we know because that can spell disaster ( family chaos, newly found hiv status, once they get discharged they are going to jail, all sorts of stuff)

cool congratsClap what semester btw

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

How dare you tell me I've inherited a house in Virginia.

lol u a foolllllLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:35pm

I just started my 2nd semester.Smile

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:38pm

cool may I pm u today or tommorow i've got some questions Smile i'm bout to watch bgc thats y lol

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:42pm

^^^
but a cna deals a lot with bodily fluids... 
that is an osha precaution. they need to know. (regarding hiv.. no not things like cancer)
no, they dont need to know everything in the chart.. i agree with that part. 

i think it also depends on the place.. i do know that cna's that go to ppls houses know most things. if its a convalescent home.. no. 

Yes coconess, that's what UNIVERSAL PRECAUTIONS are for . . . we treat everybody and all body secretions like it's hiv positive.  In regards to cancer, let me go further. .. some cancer pts get neutropenic, and may be on isolation because there are a lot of things we can give THEM, so it is to protect them from US.  That's when we will tell an aide to mask and gown up.

When you are in home health, the patient  tells you all kinds of things, some you didn't even wanna know Shocked  It is not a violation if the PATIENT tells you themselves.

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:46pm
Some people don't understand hippa...lol 

-------------
Taking names...keeping notes!

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

ain't that the truthLOL how  u been ms.roxy? ohh thx for the correction again kk it is hipaa sorry for my previous mistakes lol

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:50pm

cool may I pm u today or tommorow i've got some questions Smile i'm bout to watch bgc thats y lol

that's fine. I'm watching bgc too lol

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:52pm
Oh and by the way it's HIPAA

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:54pm

girl i spelled it right in my head but everytime i write it down it comes out wrong.. lol Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 8:59pm

girl i spelled it right in my head but everytime i write it down it comes out wrong.. lol Embarrassed

i know it looks cooler to say hippa to me.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:00pm

they dont???

they just make beds and change water and stuff?

-------------

Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:06pm
Afro, they deal with bodily fluids but they should be observing the right precautions regardless. If you are consistently prudent with PPE it shouldn't be an issue. I find that a lot of them want to know so that they can be extra careful (or nosy) but truth be told they should be consistent because we don't perform HIV tests on everyone.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

Afro, they deal with bodily fluids but they should be observing the right precautions regardless. If you are consistently prudent with PPE it shouldn't be an issue. I find that a lot of them want to know so that they can be extra careful (or nosy) but truth be told they should be consistent because we don't perform HIV tests on everyone.

cool there are a lot of health care personnel on bhm.. I love it Clap

-------------

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:11pm
Ok.. So now that she knows, doesn't she have the responsibility of telling her future sex partners? Isn't there a law or something stating this.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:12pm
I side eye some of the other CNA's who give me report on my patients at the start of my shift. They will tell me, "Oooh he has HIV so u know I just gown up and do this and that." This is not the 80's. We know how you can get HIV now. There is no reason to put these people in isolation and put on all this protective gear unless somethig warrants it. Ex. They're coughing everywhere? Put on a mask. Puking everywhere. Put on a gown. And all times wear your gloves.

And @ afro they just don't make beds.  In hospitals, they help monitor the patient through frequent vital signs and just being the nurse's aide(cleaning, hygiene stuff, take blood sugars, simple wound dressings, in the er they let them draw blood I heard,etc. Sometimes a good aide can either make or break your shift as a nurse.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

Ok.. So now that she knows, doesn't she have the responsibility of telling her future sex partners? Isn't there a law or something stating this.

with all that money she is about to make, even if she does there will still be men wanting to hit that raw/protected. *true story gif

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:13pm
@ joilie thats what i thought

but, that been said, samples of suspected hiv cases r other samples containing highly contagious samples are labelled to highlight elevated risk of cross-infection, if everyone is observing UP that wouldnt be necessary no?

i agree that everyone should, but if one person knows, then everyone who comes into contact with that person and is at risk of exposure should know.

disclosure by grade is kinda counterproductive and elitist, they are all at equal risk. considering the worst UP ive ever witnessed is by rgns (maybe thats just the uk)

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:14pm
And also, I would love to know my patients health status because I really hate going into a room for 1/2 the shift and then being told that now they may have TB. 

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

Lol, all I know is what is drilled into my head. . . and how it affects my liscense. 
As for the spelling, my dyslexic badddd. . . LOL

Ok, we had 2 nurses pulled into the office because they ran to the ER to see a famous baseball player who was being seen, and they got in a sh!tload of trouble, with adm, hipaa violaton and all that. 2 day suspension. . . and we were short as hellll Angry

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:15pm

I side eye some of the other CNA's who give me report on my patients at the start of my shift. They will tell me, "Oooh he has HIV so u know I just gown up and do this and that." This is not the 80's. We know how you can get HIV now. There is no reason to put these people in isolation and put on all this protective gear unless somethig warrants it. Ex. They're coughing everywhere? Put on a mask. Puking everywhere. Put on a gown. And all times wear your gloves.

And @ afro they just don't make beds.  In hospitals, they help monitor the patient through frequent vital signs and just being the nurse's aide(cleaning, hygiene stuff, take blood sugars, simple wound dressings, in the er they let them draw blood I heard,etc. Sometimes a good aide can either make or break your shift as a nurse.

i just wanted you to highlight how they are more likely to be at risk than the rgn/rn as a result of those tasks listed up there

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:16pm

thats what i thought

but, that been said, samples of suspected hiv cases r other samples containing highly contagious samples are labelled to highlight elevated risk of cross-infection, if everyone is observing UP that wouldnt be necessary no?

i agree that everyone should, but if one person knows, then everyone who comes into contact with that person and is at risk of exposure should know.

disclosure by grade is kinda counterproductive and elitist, they are all at equal risk. considering the worst UP ive ever witnessed is by rgns (maybe thats just the uk)

And I agree with you too. My nurse mentioned what if there is a surgeon and he accidentally injures himself during the surgery of an hiv infected patient.  She said when she worked in another country everyone patient had to have hiv testing.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:16pm
dp

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:19pm

When you are in home health, the patient  tells you all kinds of things, some you didn't even wanna know Shocked  It is not a violation if the PATIENT tells you themselves.

I'm not talking about nor never said anything about the Patient telling the cna or caregiver or HHa anything.. I know that is not a violation. I'm talking about the cna or whomever being briefed about the Patient prior to giving care and/or being privy to their chart or other info..
They do not NEED to know in order to give care but most times they are able to know.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:19pm

i just wanted you to highlight how they are more likely to be at risk than the rgn/rn as a result of those tasks listed up there

I guess the main concern is bodily fluid contact but I've never thought to be more or less at risk than the nurse. I just follow UP for everyone and keep it moving. Treat everyone as if they could be infected. I almost got bit by a patient yesterday and God knows what she had.

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:20pm
Bitch! AngryDeadAngry

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:21pm

FOR REALS????  I wish our hospital was like that.  Personal care, sure, vitals, hardly ever,  but none of the rest where I work, lawd I WISH!!  And no disrespect, I used to be a cna, but at a nursing home.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:25pm

I guess the main concern is bodily fluid contact but I've never thought to be more or less at risk than the nurse. I just follow UP for everyone and keep it moving. Treat everyone as if they could be infected. I almost got bit by a patient yesterday and God knows what she had.

and thats the point,

how would a rn knowing make any difference to her practice than it would yours?

its a discussion,

i just dont see how a nurse should know and an hca/cna shouldnt when in practice it shouldnt really change anyone's practice

just for discussion sake.. should nurses even know a patients HIV status? how will knowing a clients status impact their day to day duties? why not keep that status to dr bradley and dr kwame

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:28pm

and thats the point,

its a discussion,

i just dont see how a nurse should know and an hca/cna shouldnt when in practice it shouldnt really change anyone's practice

just for discussion sake.. should nurses even know a patients HIV status? how will knowing a clients status impact their day to day duties? why not keep that status to dr bradley and dr kwame

because a nurse is involved directly with the patients care e.g adminstering meds and pt teaching etc. You will not walk into a hospital and see a doc administering meds unless rare circumstances. A doctor is not seen by the pt as much as the rn is. She/he is working with mucous membranes, blood of the pt.

-------------

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:28pm

She running round wit a new body and giving these mens her aids virus, talking bout she didn't want the test smh

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:31pm
Where I work, I wouldn't trust none of these cnas with that kind of information. Plus many would use it as an excuse as to why they didn't do there job properly. Cnas know the procedures when dealing with body fluids, and washing their hands and stuff, so if they want to be the fool and mess with someones blood from a wound with no gloves on, without washing the hands, then its their fault if they catch that HIV.

-------------
Come take my hand and lets go Nala-land, where all your sexiest dreams will come true!

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

She running round wit a new body and giving these mens her aids virus, talking bout she didn't want the test smh

Yep. My op is that she knew she was HIV positive but wanted the ability to continue to live on in ignorance to absolve herself of liability. I cannot fathom why a person on such a journey to become healthy would not want to know their status, especially when the purpose of the test was to pinpoint deficiencies in her blood. This story is about more than someone knowing their rights. There's something very dark going on here...

Eta: but te law is the law so whatever.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:33pm

its a discussion,

Nurses are looking at lab values, blood work, assessing the patient, etc, and need to report any new symptoms, changes in values, medication reactions, etc.

Also they need to be able tyo recognize other opprotunistic infections that may result due to meds, ie, antibiotics can cause fungal infections, so they will assess for thrush, etc.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:33pm
Afro, the RN incorporates that knowledge into her assessment and monitoring of the patient. The CNA is not responsible for assessment, more so assistance and data collection. The HIV status can be useful for the interpretation of the data but not relevant for assistance with ADL's which is a large part of what the CNA is responsible for.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by laceyfront laceyfront wrote:

Yep.  pretty much.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:37pm

Afro, the RN incorporates that knowledge into her assessment and monitoring of the patient. The CNA is not responsible for assessment, more so assistance and data collection. The HIV status can be useful for the interpretation of the data but not relevant for assistance with ADL's which is a large part of what the CNA is responsible for.

Joile you're so classy. LOL

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:39pm

and thats the point,

its a discussion,

because a nurse is involved directly with the patients care e.g adminstering meds and pt teaching etc. You will not walk into a hospital and see a doc administering meds unless rare circumstances. A doctor is not seen by the pt as much as the rn is. She/he is working with mucous membranes, blood of the pt.

removing the teaching bit and dispensing meds, how is that much diff from a cna?

no one has said 'this is why a cna shouldnt know'

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:39pm

Lol, that's my I just did a paper on something similar answer.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:41pm

yes,

thats a fair point `and probably the only reason why a nurse would know over a cna but risk of exposure remains the same and likely to be a lil bit elevated for the cna's

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:41pm

Lol, that's my I just did a paper on something similar answer.

you sound like you aced it

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:42pm

I know right? I feel like I'm reading one of my nursing school books lol

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:45pm

FOR REALS????  I wish our hospital was like that.  Personal care, sure, vitals, hardly ever,  but none of the rest where I work, lawd I WISH!!  And no disrespect, I used to be a cna, but at a nursing home.

I floated to the step down icu once and the nurses said all I need to do is hygiene care and take their temperatures. I couldn't believe it. I was so used to running around on my med-surg floor like a chicken without a head.

I think I wanna work ICU when I graduate because med-surg burns me out sometimes and I'm not even a nurse yet! No wonder new grads run off so fast lol.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:51pm

It's not that they shouldn't know, it's just that they don't always have to know. There are times when they definately should know, like if the pt is combative, biting and scratching, or actively bleeding.

In the op case, the entire office didn't need to know, and there was not reason for all the office to be reading her chart, if that's what happened. But that is probably why she will get a settlement.

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 9:53pm

It's not that they shouldn't know, it's just that they don't always have to know. There are times when they definately should know, like if the pt is combative, biting and scratching, or actively bleeding.

In the op case, the entire office didn't need to know, and there was not reason for all the office to be reading her chart, if that's what happened. But that is probably why she will get a settlement.
i can live with this

nurse and cna/hcas are always so combative with each other, regardless of which country or hosp you go to

and its always the same 'i dont trust that lot'

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:02pm
idk, some RNs here may disagree.
Years ago, I had a foster kid who had hiv, and they didnt tell me when they placed her.
I looked up the meds, and found out what they were for.  I was quite pissed!
But I was told that it was a violation of some kind to tell me. . . I was not happy, but I woud not have refused her if I knew, just been prepared.  I had a 2 year old for gods sake!  Needless to say, I was extra extra careful around her, and thankfully she was also very cautious.  Poor thing.  So there are always exceptions.

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:03pm
He was right in testing her. She was sick already and they needed to know why.

I need to read this thread tomorrow as nurses/med professionals are talking in here

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:10pm
Bitch tricked herself having unprotected sex or receiving infected bodily fluids and refusing to check her sexual health. FOH

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Bitch tricked herself having unprotected sex or receiving infected bodily fluids and refusing to check her sexual health. FOH

dang girlll lol LOL we don't know how she got it, she could have got it from her dl boyfriend lol but mostly u are right in your thought process though.

-------------

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:24pm
Don't see anything wrong with first consenting to tests, treatment, etc and keeping that info private

Imagine the implications to marginalized people if this wasn't the law?

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:31pm
shes basic as hell....maybe even below that

how u gunna get mad at someone for telling u crucial information about your health? like what the fucc?

-------------
Y'all should be calling white ppl "Mizungus". Get into the movement!!

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:35pm
She didn't like how it was done

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:35pm

Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

dang girlll lol LOL we don't know how she got it, she could have got it from her dl boyfriend lol but mostly u are right in your thought process though.

I'm mad though! This chick is really mad about knowing her health and setting up a lawsuit trying to say she was tricked? Heifer.. by whom?? They needed to find out what was going on with your health since you weren't interested in finding out on your own!

I don't care how she got it, but her blatant refusal to check her sexual health puts her in a very bad light. She probably knew there was a chance she had it but didn't want to face the reality of a positive test!

-------------

Posted By: lanae
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:39pm
She had gastric bypass? Why would someone who is proactive about her health not want to know why she is so sick? I'm also sick of this HIV stigma.

-------------
"It's not what you're called but what you answer to that will define who you are."

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:39pm
who give a shiit how it's done? At the end of the day your doctor cared enough about your health when you obviously didn't (who refuses an hiv test?) and because of that now you know you're sick...how you gon repay that with a court case instead of gratitude?

selfish azz

-------------
Y'all should be calling white ppl "Mizungus". Get into the movement!!

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

who give a shiit how it's done? At the end of the day your doctor cared enough about your health when you obviously didn't (who refuses an hiv test?) and because of that now you know you're sick...how you gon repay that with a court case instead of gratitude?

selfish azz

CHURCH!

-------------

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:43pm
she probably got the gastric bypass as a cover. Stern Smile

Date Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 10:44pm
The law cares how it's done

Print Page | Close Window