Print Page | Close Window

Are hbcus better?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353648
Printed Date: Dec 13 2017 at 12:27am

Topic: Are hbcus better?
Posted By: princesshoneybee
Subject: Are hbcus better?
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:30pm
Sometimes I really regret turning down my acceptance to FAMU. I think going to an all black college would be a better experience for me as a whole. Did you go to an HBCU? Do you feel that going to a predominatly black oriented college is bad/good for young people? I see how some people think that it hurts young adults because we live in a diverse nation and it's good to experience people of different backgrounds.

Replies:
Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:32pm
Sometimes I feel that way as well, however I wouldn't have chosen FAMU...

-------------
Last thing I wanna do is hurt you, but its still on my list..

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:33pm
Before I actually started college I always wanted to go to an HBCU. For the longest I had my mind set on attending FAMU. I grew out of it towards my later years of high school when I actually started applying for colleges though. 

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:35pm
I love the idea of an HBCU actually. But I'm glad I didn't go to one. None of the HBCU's are ranked as high as my school so I had to pass.

I would love to go to grad school at one, though.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:37pm
Blah blah blah blah.
Do what you want to do.

-------------

Posted By: beebeexx
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:49pm
I went to a PWI and lawd...
black community was too small.

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:53pm
If I could've, I would've went to Howard U

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:54pm
Lol

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

I love the idea of an HBCU actually. But I'm glad I didn't go to one. None of the HBCU's are ranked as high as my school so I had to pass.

makes more sense to go to a HBCU for undergrad then PWI for grad

I did what positive stated and I regret NOTHING!!!!

-------------
She hurt feelings, she break hearts
She stay quiet, she play smart
She take pride, in going out
Getting hollered at, and saying nah....

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:57pm
Heart FAMU & I've got lots of love for all HBCUs

They're not all created equal. But it depends on what you want\need out of your specific program also .... FAMU has great pharmacy, business, nursing, and teaching programs. They're also in the process of possibly getting a dental school. All of my friends who graduated from there are doing well.

I would not have gone anywhere else.

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: dreamz
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:57pm
lol

-------------
specs: handmade 8" kinky curly upart wig. wefts purchased from http://www.kinkycurlyyaki.com

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:58pm
I wanna go to Howard lol

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 3:55pm
I went to a PWI for undergrad and I didn't enjoy the experience. My dream school was Clark Atlanta and I turned down the opportunity to attend the school for a PWI in NYC. During the five years I was there, I thought about my missed opportunity and how my college experience would have been different (maybe better) if I would've gone to CAU.
Now, I'm attending an HBCU (Howard) for grad. school and I wouldn't go anywhere else. I wish I would've attended Howard as an ungrad. I love the environment. I'm sure I would've enjoyed my college years.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 3:57pm
I just realized what PWI meant.

*Slow moment*

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 3:58pm
It really doesn't matter to me. I leave class and go home.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

makes more sense to go to a HBCU for undergrad then PWI for grad

I just want the experience. I'll be good wherever I go..... I value my education here more. I meet all kinds of people from different parts of the world.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 4:00pm
It's all what you make of your school. 

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 4:57pm
Nope

-------------

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:06pm
Try to name a few people whom graduated a black college/university and is in a good job or top position in your major.

-------------
hip measured is from fullest part on butt:
start: 32C-24-35

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9bbbc000b1aa15d0337a651ec6e3f36c/tumblr_n1g94wvCbW1rk74v1o1_400.gif

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hn7ui0.jpg

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:13pm
I'll be honest here; I think the best is to go to a college that has some tradition AND diversity.
Staying with your own people, you never get out of your comfort zone therefore, you won't evolve.
It's important to mingle. The reason why rednecks act the way they act is because they are stuck in the deep country somewhere in the South, hanging out with idiots like them, whom think like them and whom will never achieve anything.

-------------
hip measured is from fullest part on butt:
start: 32C-24-35

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9bbbc000b1aa15d0337a651ec6e3f36c/tumblr_n1g94wvCbW1rk74v1o1_400.gif

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hn7ui0.jpg

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

Try to name a few people whom graduated a black college/university and is in a good job or top position in your major.

Are you serious?

I know tons of people with great jobs who graduated from HBCUs, self included.

-------------

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:39pm
I attended a PWI for law school and a State school for undergrad, and I wish I went to an HBCU. I think there is a stronger alum network and more support to help students succeed. Also, when large corporations are looking to hire diverse people, they don't look at PWI's. They go straight to HBCU's. If I could do it over, I'd change things, but I can't change my path. It is what it is.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:39pm
Sigh.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:40pm
On the bright side, I think if I went to an HBCU I would have ended up pregnant, so maybe it worked out for the best.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

I attended a PWI for law school and a State school for undergrad, and I wish I went to an HBCU. I think there is a stronger alum network and more support to help students succeed. Also, when large corporations are looking to hire diverse people, they don't look at PWI's. They go straight to HBCU's. If I could do it over, I'd change things, but I can't change my path. It is what it is.
Lamp Damn! you always have good info  

Posted By: Finesseful
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:48pm
If more blacks went to HBCU's, they'd have a better sense of pride & community, but most of you are indoctrinated to believe white is right and that schmoozing with crackas is the key to success. But whatever, who am I to tell any buffoon how to spend their hard earned coonbucks.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

If more blacks went to HBCU's, they'd have a better sense of pride & community, but most of you are indoctrinated to believe white is right and that schmoozing with crackas is the key to success. But whatever, who am I to tell any buffoon how to spend their hard earned coonbucks.
I definitely agree with this.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:55pm

Not all people go to the school they go to because of this but okay. I get what you're saying and partially agree.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
-Midna

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:04pm

When black people say things like this it breaks my heart.
It really does. 

-------------

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:11pm
HBCUnit checking in 

CIAA, where y'all at?  http://oi47.tinypic.com/2z9h83l.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view http://oi47.tinypic.com/2z9h83l.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view http://oi47.tinypic.com/2z9h83l.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view http://oi47.tinypic.com/2z9h83l.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view http://oi47.tinypic.com/2z9h83l.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view http://oi47.tinypic.com/2z9h83l.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:15pm
If I were raised in the South I probably would've gone to an HBCU.  There are a lot of state HBCU's...in California most people are just trying to get into CSU or UC's.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:17pm
They need 2 year HBCUs. Brothas wanna turn up while they gettin they associates too.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:18pm

They need 2 year HBCUs. Brothas wanna turn up while they gettin they associates too.

lol already is by default in some places.  gotta join the BSU and call it a day. 

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:20pm

smfh no we don't. Brothas gotta stop accepting mediocrity 

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:22pm
JC = mediocrity?  a good JC has bridge programs to get to your target University.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

JC = mediocrity?  a good JC has bridge programs to get to your target University.
Right it's better than nothing

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

smfh no we don't. Brothas gotta stop accepting mediocrity 

jr.

SMH everybody can't afford college right off the bat. Sleepy

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:27pm
no, jc's are not mediocrity. go to a regular jc then transfer to an hbcu.   http://oi50.tinypic.com/10xg3v9.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view

we shouldn't make hbcc's cuz Brothas wanna fck around

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

many of the professors have transferred over from 4 yrs.  hell, George Lucas graduated from a CC and went on to USC.  I get defensive when ppl talk about CC's because of how many people i know who have graduated from one and gone on to really good Universities.  You're doing the same thing in your first 2 yrs, only it's cheaper.  there is only a stigma bc of the drop out rate.  if you have set a goal you will achieve it.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

no, jc's are not mediocrity. go to a regular jc then transfer to an hbcu.   http://oi50.tinypic.com/10xg3v9.jpg" rel="nofollow">Click for a larger view

we shouldn't make hbcc's cuz Brothas wanna fck around

jr.

oh ok, nevermind then. LOL

but if you do go to a 2 yr you better join some type of african american scholastic program or black student union bc those white counselors will not always point u in the right direction.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:30pm

many of the professors have transferred over from 4 yrs.  hell, George Lucas graduated from a CC and went on to USC.  I get defensive when ppl talk about CC's because of how many people i know who have graduated from one and gone on to realy good Universities.  You're doing the same thing in your first 2 yrs, only it's cheaper.  there is only a stigma bc of the drop out rate.  if you have set a goal you will achieve it.
Clap love you girl

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:31pm
When I get my millions im opening up a black two year cc. Trill University. 

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:32pm

many of the professors have transferred over from 4 yrs.  hell, George Lucas graduated from a CC and went on to USC.  I get defensive when ppl talk about CC's because of how many people i know who have graduated from one and gone on to really good Universities.  You're doing the same thing in your first 2 yrs, only it's cheaper.  there is only a stigma bc of the drop out rate.  if you have set a goal you will achieve it.
Which is stupid because if these same people who dropped went to four year schools, they'd drop out there too.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
-Midna

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:33pm

Fist pump! Yessssssssss!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 6:52pm

Please! Some Blacks go to PWIs because they offer more scholarships, and you are talking about coons and coonbucks, last I checked Clarence Thomas and Hermain Cain were the products of HBCU's. Coons can come from any school. I agree with you. More Blacks should attend HBCU's. I wish I attended one, but the presumption that all Blacks that attend PWIs = Coons is faulty.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:13pm

Lol I asked my uncle this because he's a recruiter for Chevron and in the case of engineering.. 

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:16pm

Lol I asked my uncle this because he's a recruiter for Chevron and in the case of engineering.. 

I don't know about engineering, but for business corporations hire Morehouse grads. For law, a lot of DC firms hire Howard grads. I haven't struggled with opportunities, but I am jealous of the alumni network at places like Howard and Spelman.

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:54pm
Alumni networking is definitely a huge bonus

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by oh_so_moody oh_so_moody wrote:

Are you serious?

I know tons of people with great jobs who graduated from HBCUs, self included.

I didn't really take it as shade .... I thought sexyandfamous was saying if the school is producing graduates with prosperous careers in your field, that should tell you if it's worth going

As opposed to a school that's graduating business majors who end up selling shoes at Foot Locker.

just my interpretation lol

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 7:59pm
No it was shade. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 8:00pm
LoL oh well nevermind then 

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 8:01pm
^Especially coupled with the 2nd post. Shade indeed.Geek

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 10:33pm
Howard, Spelman, Xavier, and Fisk are probably the only ones I'd probably go to imo, but they are great if you make use of the connections and attention - like at any school.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 10:39pm
i enjoyed both my hbcu and PWI experiences and would not have traded either school. i think black students should experience both tbh.

funny bc i ran into a girl who i went to undergrad with last night at an outing and she asked me how i liked going to an HBCU and i said i liked it. she was surprised.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 10:41pm
and i would not go to ANY ole HBCU just like i wouldn't go to any ole PWI

-------------

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

It's all what you make of your school. 

This...and HBCU's weren't ranked as high as the school I ended up going to, so it is what it is. I had fun at school and it was diverse with ppl from around the world. I wouldn't trade my time in college for anything. :)

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Date Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 12:08am

I don't know about engineering, but for business corporations hire Morehouse grads. For law, a lot of DC firms hire Howard grads. I haven't struggled with opportunities, but I am jealous of the alumni network at places like Howard and Spelman.

I question if this is a regional thing. I went to Duke, we had tons of recruiters there from major corporations as Duke's science, engineering & business schools are quite strong. Maybe the recruiters in DC don't want to go all the way to Cali to find a minority applicant. It makes sense to visit the hbcu's in their area to find diverse new hires.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 12:12am
rankings dont matter if you go to Howard, Morehouse & Spelman bc recruiters go there.

-------------

Posted By: honniecake
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 12:04am
don't take some of the nay-saying posts in this thread seriously.

remember, everyone is not what they say they are online...as a good friend used to say, "A lie dont care WHO tell it" smh. dont understand why people would lie about the schools they went to anyway.

anywho, i am transferring from my below average PWI sec school...Howard U, Spelman C, or FAMU ...here I come!

-------------

R.I.P. my buddy, Chavis Carter

Overcome evil with good. Jesus did.

Posted By: linmars
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 12:10am
< FAMUan in the College of Pharmacy. no regrets.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 12:27am
Originally posted by honniecake honniecake wrote:

remember, everyone is not what they say they are online...as a good friend used to say, "A lie dont care WHO tell it" smh. dont understand why people would lie about the schools they went to anyway.

anywho, i am transferring from my below average PWI sec school...Howard U, Spelman C, or FAMU ...here I come!

Why would someone lie about where they went to college? It's not like ppl on here are offering jobs where you would need to vie for top ranking. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by honniecake honniecake wrote:

Why would someone lie about where they went to college? It's not like ppl on here are offering jobs where you would need to vie for top ranking. Confused

It's happened on here before.

-------------

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 12:41am
 lmao..

that girl tried it.

but w/ that sentence structure- I couldn't take her or her shade seriously.

but blah--
i loved my time at an HBCU.
I also loved my time at an ivy league.

it all boils down to what you make of your education.. how you sell yourself --and who you sell yourself to.
shrug.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: KinksnWinks
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 10:51am
I think i'm gonna go to a HBCU for grad school, I think it will provide an experince you wont get elsewhere

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 10:56am

LMFAO

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 10:57am
Which school did someone lie about attending? Yale?

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 11:04am
I don't think people lie as much as we think.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 11:13am
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

Which school did someone lie about attending? Yale?

lol

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 11:30am
I went to a predominantly white state school for undergrad and the black community there was VERY strong... We pretty much ran the SGA while I was there. It was kind of like having the best of both worlds... We had diverse classroom, social, networking interactions, but we also had many things on campus that were just ours. Because of the size of the black population there, it's kind of like we all stuck together. I remember when I got there as a freshman I immediately felt welcome by all of the blacks, upperclassmen, greeks, geeks, gradstudents, staff...

Le sigh... I miss college 

-------------
I know you aint a pimp but pimp remember what I taught ya
Keep your heart 3 stacks, keep your heart

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 11:56am
You have to do what's best for you and your future. I'm graduated from an HBCU and two PWIs and have had a very successful career. My daughters went to PWIs, enjoyed themselves and are successful. My son went to an HBCU and he's successful too.

In my expert opinion, FOLLOW THE MONEY!

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 12:15pm
^ i like ur gene pool soror!

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:16pm
Only the best, soror!

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:20pm
no the b!tch with the teeth said she went to Columbia

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:31pm

I'll be honest here; I think the best is to go to a college that has some tradition AND diversity.
Staying with your own people, you never get out of your comfort zone therefore, you won't evolve.
It's important to mingle. The reason why rednecks act the way they act is because they are stuck in the deep country somewhere in the South, hanging out with idiots like them, whom think like them and whom will never achieve anything.

Equating black people to rednecks is ridiculous. Black people are a diverse race of people who hail from all over the world. Rednecks are a subgroup of American southern whites from a very specific socioeconomic and religious upbringing.

The very idea that this could be used as a reason NOT to go to an HBCU is simply bizarre. I feel bad for black people who don't realize how diverse black people are. But maybe that was something that I learned at an HBCU?

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: tbaby123
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 1:33pm
Dang btch though??

Posted By: Alex Urameshi
Date Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 6:48am
I am currently attending a PWI and I have a close friend that is attending a HBCU and loves it.However I know that attending spelman wasn't for me. She loves the community however she isn't the diverse experiences as i am and idk if its just her, but now she's all pro-black, and does nothing but preach about how the white man is keeping us down.
My group of friends are starting to find her extremely hard to be around.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window