Print Page | Close Window

Should the govt give rations instead of EBT?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353530
Printed Date: Feb 25 2018 at 4:45pm

Topic: Should the govt give rations instead of EBT?
Posted By: Finesseful
Subject: Should the govt give rations instead of EBT?
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:03pm
What if the gov't gave vouchers for staple food items like they do WIC recipients for EBT?  Instead of going to Wal-Mart or Piggly Wiggly to buy $200 worth of crab legs, quarter waters, and honey buns every week (I know y'all see it) those on assistance would have have to go to a federally mandated facility to get all of their food items. Do you think this is unfair or would y'all be down for this kind of reform? Let me know somethin.

Replies:
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:08pm
i'm not feelin that.  then again this is coming from someone who uses anybody's ebt card i can get my hands on.

Posted By: maysay1
Our government is way too deep in the pockets of corn growers and food corporations like monsanto, nestle, coca-cola, and everyone else to get anywhere near having a food assistance program that actually makes sense. That's why WIC is so much smaller than SNAP and always will be.

Posted By: jonesable
No.
Quit trying to police the poor.

If you're worried about tax dollars being wasted look up not down

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:10pm
I wouldn't call it unfair...just stupid

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:10pm
I kinda like EBT the way it is myself. I lowkey feel good I can give a black girl a $100 to get her quick weave in line at the store and walk out with $200 worth of groceries.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:11pm

I agree with jonesable.  What needs to happen is the stop to the corruption that trickles down to the unhealthy diets the poor have to put up with in this country.  Already, the poor are more malnourished than the people of may developing countries. 

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:14pm
I think the whole thing should be abolished. But I can live with them getting rations

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

I think the whole thing should be abolished. But I can live with them getting rations

jr.

why should it be abolished?

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:18pm
I did do a silent got damn when I saw this lady with two buggies stuffed to the brim with goodness.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:21pm
The food stamp program is the very bottom of America's worries. The poor people really aren't the problem.

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:22pm
Crablegs are cheap at walmart tho

Id rather that family be dining on $20 dollars worth of crab legs than $20 of those damn Totino's pizzas.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

No.

This. I never understood the concept of black folk being sooooo invested on other blacks who are on public assistance. They act as if the taxes paid for the welfare benefits are keeping them from bringing home Warren Buffet checks lol. I personally have never been bothered by what type of food people on welfare purchase or what they do with their money/stamps.
I think it also have to do with this elitist attitude some have towards others...

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:27pm
We're all gonna be on rations soon enough though. If you aren't in the 1%, you might want to start getting that stockpile ready.

Milk is 6$ a gallon. Fed min wage is 7.80$.

The 1% is not interested in actually creating any jobs that pay a living wage and the purchasing power of a dollar dwindles every day. Between the cost of housing and medical care...better get comfortable with rice and beans.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:27pm
I'm not trying to police the poor, I just asked a question. BHM wasn't this attitudinal when I last posted, what has changed here?

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:28pm
That really wasn't directed at you.
I usually don't associate the OP with the poster until they say otherwise.

This topic was done in ttt jr and I said the same thing.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:29pm
clearly somebody needs to police the majority of what americans eat
but i aint trusting no government to do it

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:29pm
No..leave it alone. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

We're all gonna be on rations soon enough though. If you aren't in the 1%, you might want to start getting that stockpile ready.

Milk is 6$ a gallon. Fed min wage is 7.80$.

The 1% is not interested in actually creating any jobs that pay a living wage and the purchasing power of a dollar dwindles every day. Between the cost of housing and medical care...better get comfortable with rice and beans.

I know how to farm... Im str8

-------------

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:31pm

No.

Clap

-------------
Domin

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:31pm
Huffington Post said milk will be $8 sooner rather than later. If it ever gets that high i'll stop drinking it. It ain't even good for you anyways.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:32pm
Educate and allow people to make responsible decisions.
That really the best plan of action .
That goes for every class of people.

Education and incentives are the best tools for anything

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

No.

This. I never understood the concept of black folk being sooooo invested on other blacks who are on public assistance. They act as if the taxes paid for the welfare benefits are keeping them from bringing home Warren Buffet checks lol. I personally have never been bothered by what type of food people on welfare purchase or what they do with their money/stamps.
I think it also have to do with this elitist attitude some have towards others...

I'm a single person with no kids who doesn't make enough to pay all my own bills myself...and I owed taxes last year and will owe again this year. It's not that paying taxes keeps me from having a warren buffet check...but it does keep me from paying bills...and I can't get any help from the government because they say I make too much.

It's not about being elitist. I honestly hate to see my money wasted. And yes I do think certain things area a waste in the SNAP program. No one can ever make the case that soda is a necessity or a food. It's not. And if someone is truly in need and their kids need to eat, then they need to be buying food.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:35pm
worse than soda, you can buy actual candy...gummy worms, red vines, starburst.  that's one thing they can amend.  

But ppl always go after entitlement programs and they do it for a reason.

I remember a thread here whether food stamp recipients should be drug tested.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

And how much of the taxes that you pay go towards SNAP?

-------------

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:37pm
What the hell?  I pay about 100yen (about $1.20ish) for a liter of low fat milk.  There is no reason for it to be $6 a gallon.

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:38pm

wow.  

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:39pm
Should the gov also control how much sugar they can purchase? or Cooking grease? Butter? Salt? or better yet just give them boxes of organic fruits,veggies canned meats and water. 

-------------

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

wow.  

Gov. Scott wanted to do that in Florida

-------------
Men fake a relationship to get a nut, Women fake a nut to get a relationship- himayn10ence

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:42pm
Cow's milk is gross anyway.. no human should be drinking it Dead

I didnt mind the drug test idea to much... but the details about the process was unclear

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Should the gov also control how much sugar they can purchase? or Cooking grease? Butter? Salt? or better yet just give them boxes of organic fruits,veggies canned meats and water. 

they don't buy this stuff tho. they swipe their cards at pizza hut and buy $40 worth of sushi

jr.

-------------

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:43pm
the drug test thing failed.
but bad idea, it was not. lol. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:44pm
no they don't swipe anything at pizza hut.  you can't buy hot food with EBT.  

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:45pm
I don't agree with the drug testing for a myriad of reasons.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

And how much of the taxes that you pay go towards SNAP?

There's a great infographic that answers the question about what percentage of taxes go toward what and other tax info...I have to see if I can find it again.

Whatever amount that goes toward SNAP (and any other program), I don't want it to be wasted.

lol. a bunch of dark-skinned white folks in this thread. 

-------------

yes you can

jr.

-------------

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:46pm
The majority of people that obtain FS are non black. My Arabic Neighbor gets away with over a grand a month in stamps . Her Family owns a shell gas station . Her family stocks the store with stamps . I reported her butt and nothing change . I know blacks also cheat , but the Gov. should monitor the real fraud . Our children will be the first to suffer if they ever implement a program as mention in the op . What family needs 2 cases of snickers or hershey bars to eat each month ? They only monitor our people .   

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..

I mean if you think about the way some people use EBT it's kinda like if you asked the government for medical insurance, they give you a card with money on it and you use it to get butt implants instead of going to the dr for routine exams & checkups.

they need to be looking into the scam the state and these companies are running to deny employees their unemployment benefits.  for people who get their full unemployment benefits i don't think you even qualify for EBT b/c i think you have to make less than $1200(or close to).  so now you want to deny unemployment benefits and then ration people whose only "income" is an ebt card.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:47pm

yes you can

jr.

no you cant...unless the business is doing something illegal you can only buy cold food.

eta: nvm...maybe some states are different.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:48pm

they don't buy this stuff tho. they swipe their cards at pizza hut and buy $40 worth of sushi

jr.

You can only do that if you receives cash benefits. Not every person receives that. Besides if they are spending all their money up on expensive meals they will be the ones having to deal with not having cash by the end of the month.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:49pm

And the crazy thing is that no one knows for certain what percentage of the taxes paid are going towards welfare benefits. Tax payers pay for  A LOT of sh!t, but it seems easier to complain about these programs because in most cases, some like having the ability to say to the have-nots "hey...I helped pay for that" *shrug*

-------------

no you cant...unless the business is doing something illegal you can only buy cold food.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/09/fast-food-chains-getting-into-the-food-stamp-act/" rel="nofollow - http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/09/fast-food-chains-getting-into-the-food-stamp-act/

jr.

-------------

no they don't swipe anything at pizza hut.  you can't buy hot food with EBT.  

LOL yes they do in the hood. I've even seen people buy gas & hot sausages with food stamps.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:50pm
EBT cards hold the cash assistance funds ("welfare") and the SNAP assistance funds (formerly food stamps).

You can only use the cash assistance portion for hot food/fast food/restaurants. So yes, ppl can use their EBT card for pizza hut, but the funds will not come from the SNAP food program funds.

ETA: At the grocery store when you swipe an ebt card, if you receive both cash and SNAP, it will ask you which you want to use. If you swipe the same card at pizza hut, it automatically chooses cash, there isn't an option to use SNAP.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:51pm

You can only do that if you receives cash benefits. Not every person receives that. Besides if they are spending all their money up on expensive meals they will be the ones having to deal with not having cash by the end of the month. 

keep believing that "only" crap if you want. i've seen regular food stamp Brothas do it with my own eyes

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Finesseful Finesseful wrote:

LOL yes they do in the hood. I've even seen people buy gas & hot sausages with food stamps.

i seen hoodrats walk outta gas stations with freeze pops and big bites lol

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:52pm

I mean if you think about the way some people use EBT it's kinda like if you asked the government for medical insurance, they give you a card with money on it and you use it to get butt implants instead of going to the dr for routine exams & checkups.

so change the entire program for some people?
Let's get rid of financial aid and student loans while we are at it. Lamp

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:53pm

keep believing that "only" crap if you want. i've seen regular food stamp Brothas do it with my own eyes

jr.

Then be mad at the establishment that does it illegally.

-------------

The Cbpp studies the programs effectiveness and its faring well.

I read a study recently I will post a link.
Things have been implemented to ensure that the program is being used as intended.
There are deterrents and punishments for the user and the retailer.

Nothing will ever be 100% and most other remedies have other ramifications.
This way is fine

%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3239

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: noneyons
I don't like the idea. But I did hear that some states are planning to start issuing food stamps in 4 weekly installments rather than once per month. That may be a good route. 

-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:54pm
No..not everyone buys junk with Ebt.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

them fighting words

BHM would flip sh*t if you take away their weave/sneaker and back utility bill allowance. :/
but food stamps should go away because you saw a nicca with a slice of pizza and skittles...Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:56pm

Smile

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:58pm

We do need to get rid of the student loan system but for entirely different reasons...but that's a whole different discussion.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:58pm
why doesn't the gov take away fin aid refunds? 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:00pm
if they took away students loans, most 20 somethings would be in a much better position right now

jr.

-------------

Y'all have a completely different view of the role of government and its purpose than I do.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: stardaqueenb23

yes you can

jr.
No you can't, you can only temporarily buy hot foods from groceries stores because of the wreckage of Sandy and some poor who have no kitchen get cash benefits for food. I just saw it on news 12 that they were stopping it next month.

To answer the OP people really need to stop demonizing the poor while corporations rape us. Instead of a weekly thread on how to stop Rashidah from purchasing Edy's Ice Cream there should be a thread on what Goldman Sachs did with our bail out money and AIG's audacity.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:01pm
the US is a lot bigger than the ny/nj, star. links were already posted as proof.

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

yes you can

jr.
No you can't, you can only temporarily buy hot foods from groceries stores because of the wreckage of Sandy and some poor who have no kitchen get cash benefits for food. I just saw it on news 12 that they were stopping it next month.

To answer the OP people really need to stop demonizing the poor while corporations rape us. Instead of a weekly thread on how to stop Rashidah from purchasing Edy's Ice Cream there should be a thread on what Goldman Sachs did with our bail out money and AIG's audacity.

Or the waste and over spending with our military. I am not even sure if we ever even had a thread on that.

I'm sure there have been at least 50 food stamp threads.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:03pm

if they took away students loans, most 20 somethings would be in a much better position right now

jr.
BS the private banking sector would just take-over and create more loans for non-credit worthy students and sell the debt off to other institutions for profit just like the mortgage bubble.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:03pm
Man y'all want to talk about waste don't get me started on TSA...
Both sides of the aisle agree that that was one big joke

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:04pm

the US is a lot bigger than the ny/nj, star. links were already posted as proof.

jr.

Then it's fraud. That store is committing fraud. Simple as that. Sushi is cold food prepared food and can be bought.

-------------

jr.

The student loan system as it is currently operated is just one more way to increase the number of wage slaves who can never get ahead while the 1% continues to rake in the profits hand over fist. They're just like subprime mortgages and payday loans and health insurance.

Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

are you asking this because you want financial aid refunds gone or just out of curiosity?

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd

jr.

Real Brotha sh*t.

I'm fed up.

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:05pm

Man y'all want to talk about waste don't get me started on TSA...
Both sides of the aisle agree that that was one big joke

Exactly, but I honestly feel like that conversation is beyond their scope.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:07pm
That link wasnt proof tho it was reiterating what had already been said that cash benefits on EBT cards can be used at fast food restaurants. Michigan being one of those states...If u have cash on it then u can use it in the same fashion that u can use a debit card in locations that accept EBT. However if u only have food benefits on there you can not unless an establishment is illegally doing so. 

-------------

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to ask

The "refund" people get is just the balance of the loan they took out that wasn't needed to cover their school tuition and housing...it's not free money.

It's in the gov't or the loan giver's best interest for the person to get the refund because it's part of their overall loan. The person is still on the hook to pay it back later.

are you asking this because you want financial aid refunds gone or just out of curiosity?

out of curiosity, and really.. why not?

-------------

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:08pm
No. I dont need to be told what I can or cant buy with my EBT card just because some people some people choose to spend wrecklessly. Just like nita said if you gonna do that you might as well change other forms of government assistance as well.

And I already know I will be judged but oh well.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:09pm

The "refund" people get is just the balance of the loan they took out that wasn't needed to cover their school tuition and housing...it's not free money.

It's in the gov't or the loan giver's best interest for the person to get the refund because it's part of their overall loan. The person is still on the hook to pay it back later.

not really. some get it from grants.. 
so its not always money that they have to pay back. 

-------------

You can get a financial aid refund with grants.

-------------

The student loan system as it is currently operated is just one more way to increase the number of wage slaves who can never get ahead while the 1% continues to rake in the profits hand over fist. They're just like subprime mortgages and payday loans and health insurance.

no one held a gun to their heads and told them to go to a very expensive school and take up a non-STEM major. ppl need to stop placing the entire blame on institutions and look at themselves

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:10pm
I think students who qualify for FA should get EBT cards automatically but Im sure Im alone on that one. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:11pm
My financial management professor former VP at Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs etc, gave us the best lecture about how much worse the banking industry could screw students if financing college was completely privatized. I really wish I would have recorded it.

I think students who qualify for FA should get EBT cards automatically but Im sure Im alone on that one. 

yeah.. no. LOL

-------------

cards are still being swiped at McDonald's. stop splitting hairs.

jr.

-------------

Jr tryin to send everybody to Everest with white bread sammiches Cry

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:12pm
My bad I was just speaking on when it comes from loans...it's in the loan giver's best interest for the person to take out as much money as they want.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:12pm
They should only serve whole foods and non sweets to those with a meal plan...and get Fin Aid...because that makes sense.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:13pm
FA dont cover most meal plans... But the new gov changed it here so students can only get food benefits if they work. If u are jobless they cant help u..unless u have a child. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:14pm

jr.

I don't believe you now.
Oh, that's what you meant

-------------

iirc, everest actually costs more than UMD

jr.

-------------

jr.

Not splitting hairs just being accurate ...accept my truth bomb Thumbs Up Handshake

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:15pm

I agree. Financial aid isn't a blip on what I pay for tuition.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:15pm
If you qualify for work study then you can get food stamps.
Also most schools I know include meal plans as a necessary part of tuition and living on campus so it's automatically converted

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:16pm

yall know they make men sign up for the draft now in order to fill out a FAFSA form?

I didn't

I thought it's been that way for over 10 years?

-------------

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:16pm

You're not. When I first started college and applied for food stamps I had to jump through hoops just to even be able to get $50 a month. They denied me at first and I reapplied again and had to do an over the phone interview and all kinds of stuff. I had very little income at the time since I wasn't working and what income I did have was going towards books and what was left of my tuition after FA so needless to say I aint have money to buy food.

Which is why I disagree with trying to govern what people use their EBT cards to buy. When you're a college student the first thing you think about is trying to stretch $50 in food over the span of a month which just so happened to mean buying unhealthy foods that last long such as boxes of ramen noodles.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:17pm
Yeah it's been like that and then there's that drug offense thing which is discriminatory and backwards as a motherfk.

its only males. theres nothing wrong with that. *shrug*

-------------

If you qualify for work study then you can get food stamps.
Also most schools I know include meal plans as a necessary part of tuition and living on campus so it's automatically converted

Not here... u have a actual job be it on campus or else where. Meal plans are an optional add on to tuition.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:18pm
They should take away fin aid so people don't riot once they find out how they blew 50-100,000 grand on their education & still can't find a decent job all because of some fake ass dream they've been sold by our backwards ass system.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:19pm

no one held a gun to their heads and told them to go to a very expensive school and take up a non-STEM major. ppl need to stop placing the entire blame on institutions and look at themselves

jr.

Very true. I'm all for personal responsibility. But, I also recognize that the system is set up in a certain way...and the people who set it up did it that way so that they can continue to make a profit.

They're all in on it...the schools themselves (and not just for-profit schools like phoenix...it's private and public non-profit schools as well), the government, and the loan companies. It's all a business and when it comes to business, the consumer is not the one that's meant to come out ahead.

Also, these same people are now spinning the "well you should've just gone into STEM (or IT) and then you'd be employed" fantasy. Yes it's true they have lower unemployment rates but the picture isn't nearly as rosy as they'd have you believe.

has the "dark skinned white ppl" line be used already?

jr.

-------------

Posted By: Organic
I think accessibility (cost of healthier foods) and education should be promoted more heavily as opposed to putting restrictions on the types of food available for purchase. At the non-profit where I volunteer, most of the clients receive food stamps and many have young children as well. We teach healthy eating classes on what healthy foods go a long way, how to prepare food to last longer (stewing down the meat and preparing leftovers to stretch) and how to stretch their funds (surely, a $2 gallon of Hawaiian Punch goes further than $3.98 quart of organic cranberry juice- why wouldn't someone strapped for cash select the most for the least?). 

It is a lifestyle change that has to be broken out of, especially those who are in the cycle of generational poverty (those who grew up on food stamps and have only known how to purchase food on a limited budget), as opposed to those who are in a more 'situational poverty' situation (someone laid off a higher paying job now using food stamps). The most common reaction we get is the lack of available and affordable healthier foods. Publix is much more expensive than WalMart.

...I paid $7 for a bag of grapes this week. 7 friggin dollars. I totally understand why those on restricted incomes shop in the ways that they do, and I also understand why I see buggies full of cereal and capri suns on the 1st of the month.

...but who really wants to take a hardcore national approach aimed at healthier eating and overhaul the SNAP program? Who really wants to see diabetes and obesity and tooth decay and high blood pressure reduced?

-------------
Cut from full hip to full waist
Maxi Glide with coconut oil
Pin curls
VOILA!

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 9:20pm

Yeah it's been like that and then there's that drug offense thing which is discriminatory and backwards as a motherfk.

I am actually all for that. If you got caught selling drugs, and now want to go to school, apply for a scholarship, go to church, pay for it yourself.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window