Print Page | Close Window

Catfish: Manti Teo girlfriends death a hoax

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353522
Printed Date: Dec 13 2018 at 3:54am

Topic: Catfish: Manti Teo girlfriends death a hoax
Posted By: carolina cutie
Subject: Catfish: Manti Teo girlfriends death a hoax
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:17pm
This is a nutty little story.Confused

Manti Te'o girlfriend's death a hoax

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame says a story about http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/517633/manti-teo" rel="nofollow - Manti Te'o 's girlfriend dying, which he said inspired him to play better as he helped the Fighting Irish get to the BCS title game, turned out to be a hoax apparently perpetrated against the linebacker.

The university issued a news release Wednesday after http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax" rel="nofollow - Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua existing.

The university says that Notre Dame coaches were informed by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26 that Te'o had been the victim of what appeared to be a hoax. Someone using a fictitious name "apparently ingratiated herself" with Te'o, the school said, then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had died of leukemia.

The university said "the proper authorities" are investigating a "very cruel deception."

On Sept. 12, Te'o learned that his 72-year-old grandmother, Annette Santiago, had died. Te'o said he was told just six hours later that Kekua, had lost her battle with leukemia.

According to Deadspin, the only photos that have been found online that identified Kekua, are actually pictures of another 22-year-old woman. That woman, who was not named in the report, told Deadspin one of those photos likely was shared by her former high school classmate named Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.

Friends and relatives of Tuiasosopo told Deadspin they believe he created Lennay Kekua. Kekua does not have a death certificate, Deadspin.com reported. Stanford, where she reportedly went to school, has no record of anybody by that name.

According to the Deadspin report, Te'o and Tuiasosopo have been in contact via Twitter, including exchanging several friendly messages last summer. A Notre Dame source told ESPN that Te'o was vetted heavily when the school learned in December that Kekua was a hoax, and said he believes Te'o was not involved. But a friend of Tuiasosopo told Deadspin he was quote "80 percent sure" that Te'o participated and did so with publicity in mind.

Te'o issued a statement Tuesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Te'o is currently training in preparation for the NFL draft at the IMG Institute in Bradenton, Fla. He is No. 8 on Mel Kiper's latest draft board.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com's Mike Fish is included in this report.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax" rel="nofollow - http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Replies:
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:19pm
I am inclined to believe that he was in on this.  

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:20pm
i was just about to post this.

i was like WTF.

I think he knew about it, ...did the ND team officials?

eta: maybe he didn't know about it right away. but as a bf, wouldn't it be weird if you didn't go to your gf's funeral? or have contact w/ the family about it? there's a lot of holes here.

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:21pm
Girllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

I just read the rundown on deadspin...lol  Im like he Catfished himself?Confused Or was it an obsessed male fan posing as a chick and then "killed" her off and posed as the brother(happens all the damn time online). 

-------------

Posted By: jonesable
I agree he probably knew all about it.

Pushing for that Heisman man

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

^I'd like to think so too Wonderland because wouldn't you want to see an obituary of your innanet 'love of your life' gf or something? Anything?Geek

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:22pm
He was gonna use it to get that sympathy vote for the Heisman and still failed. 

-------------

Posted By: James Avery
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:25pm
yea he was in on it. this guy is a creep and a low life. he used this along with the death of his grandmother to get that heisman buzz. i hope the cowboys don't draft this clown.

-------------
God bless

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:25pm
I JUST read this on Facebook!

I think they were in on it. 

-------------
Jan. 1, 2012-----227
Jan. 15, 2012----222

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:27pm
I hope the layon's dont pick him upSleepy His azz should drop major following that bama game.

ND is a joke...This is like their modern day "Rudy" story...full of bullsh!t to create fake honor

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:28pm
I just read the deadspin.com article

he had to have known about this. he had to have.

and so did ND officials.

bc supposedly they have met before in real life, and it wasn't just an online relationship.

im pissed.

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:31pm

I think I might go troll the ND message boards nowLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:32pm

Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

I think I might go troll the ND message boards nowLOL

make a lennay kekua trollLOL

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:34pm
Gkisses, please post a link when you do.LOL

Oh, he said they met in person? O rly?

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

from deadspin.com article

Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto,

2010-2011: Te'o and Kekua are friends. "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

but he just released a statement that said it was a phone/online relationship only

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:39pm

Sept. 11-12, 2012: Te'o's grandmother dies in Hawaii. Later, Kekua dies in California. Or is it the other way around? "Te'o's girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, died Sept. 11 of complications from leukemia. His grandma, Annette Santiago, died after a long illness less than 24 hours later," according to the Sept. 22 South Bend Tribune. No, Annette dies first, according to the Oct. 12 South Bend Tribune. In fact, Lennay lives long enough to express condolences over the death of Annette:

Less than 48 hours later [after Lennay's release from the hospital], at 4 a.m. Hawaii time, Kekua sent a text to Brian and Ottilia, expressing her condolences over the passing of Ottilia's mom, Annette Santiago, just hours before.

Brian awakened three hours later, saw the text, and sent one back. There was no response. A couple of hours later, Manti called his parents, his heart in pieces.

Lennay Kekua had died.

Or does Kekua die three days later ( http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/ultimate_fighter_PBWzFAFZMEsyGIFvIkounJ" rel="nofollow - New York Post )? Four days ( http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8722085/manti-teo-notre-dame-fighting-irish-wins-walter-camp-player-year" rel="nofollow - ESPN , http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21297539/notre-dame-linebacker-teo-eyes-heisman-after-maxwell-win" rel="nofollow - CBS )?

In any case, according to Te'o's interview with Gene Wojciechowski in a segment aired during the Oct. 6 episode of College GameDay, Lennay's last words to Te'o were "I love you."

Sept. 12, 2012 (morning): Te'o is informed of his grandmother's passing (Sports Illustrated).

Sept. 12, 2012 (afternoon): Te'o is informed of Kekua's passing by her older brother, Koa (Sports Illustrated).

Sept. 15, 2012: Te'o records 12 tackles in leading the Irish to an upset win over Michigan State.

Sept. 22, 2012: Kekua's funeral takes place in Carson, Calif. (The Associated Press puts it in "Carson City, Calif.," which does not exist.) Te'o skips the funeral, http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/10/sports/la-sp-1211-dwyre-manti-teo-20121211" rel="nofollow - saying Kekua had insisted that he not miss a game Ermm(Los Angeles Times). Her casket is closed at 9 a.m. Pacific time, http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100412aaa.html" rel="nofollow - according to Te'o . That night, Notre Dame beats Michigan, 13-6, to go to 4-0, the school's best start in a decade. Te'o intercepts two passes. After the game, he says of Lennay: "All she wanted was some white roses. So I sent her roses and sent her two picks along with that." Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly awards the game ball to Lennay Kekua, handing it to Te'o to "take back to Hawaii."

-------------
have touched.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:39pm
It's just been one bad thing after the other for Te'o since the title game. It was all good just a week ago. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:44pm
LMAO they are destroying him on the sports forums.

Someone made a thread saying "a pic of Te'o and his girlfriend hugging" and posted this

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

from deadspin.com article

Nov. 28, 2009: Te'o and Kekua meet after Stanford's 45-38 victory over Notre Dame in Palo Alto,

2010-2011: Te'o and Kekua are friends. "She was gifted in music, multi-lingual, had dreams grounded in reality and the talent to catch up to them" (South Bend Tribune). "They started out as just friends," Te'o's father, Brian, told the Tribune in October 2012. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there."

but he just released a statement that said it was a phone/online relationship only

thats so embarrassing

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:46pm
LOL

-------------
God bless

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

I am inclined to believe that he was in on this.  
This. You never met her? The person who is your girlfriend and you love so much? He should have just stuck with his grandma. At least that was real.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:49pm
now people are saying maybe manti is gay since the lennay phone number belonged to his homeboy

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:50pm
How Imma get a insta-ban tho..puzzies

IrishI aint ready....I aint even get to click the activate link...lmao

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:50pm
He's going to lose millions of dollars come April. From sure fire first round pick to likely 2nd round pick. Difference is a looooooooot of mula. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:51pm
Were you on Irish Envy?

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:55pm
Can't wait for LSUFreek to get ahold of this. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 5:57pm
nah... i just got there...... I was on  IrishIllustrated  they keep deleting threads...Mods are out in full force  Cry

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:12pm
There's supposed to be a news conference at 8pm est.

Should be interesting to see what story they tell.Geek

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:14pm

The opening statement of that video has me up here crying. LMAO. CryLOL

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:16pm
^^ LOL

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:16pm
The irony!LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:21pm
Dead@RT

The die hards are spinning their azzes off... Some saying he gay some saying it was the dudes cousin...But none can explain how he said they met in person if all that is true and he was innocent in all this...

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:23pm
Gonna call one of my old college profs to talk about this. As funny as it is, it's also a pretty bad look on sports journalism. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:25pm
It is interesting how no one wanted to mention how the girl never existed. You know some reporter out there knew something. A simple google search...

OT: I will be turning into Mike & Mike tomorrow morning. Shall be good.LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Gonna call one of my old college profs to talk about this. As funny as it is, it's also a pretty bad look on sports journalism. 

Indeed!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 6:57pm

It is interesting how no one wanted to mention how the girl never existed. You know some reporter out there knew something. A simple google search...

exactly. im sure some reported did a google search, and didn't find anything waaay before this.

a google image search would have revealed that it wasn't here

can't wait to hear what not only they say, but stephen a smith too  LOL

eta: apparently even teo's dad was saying that they met the girl.

can you imagine if he won the heisman???

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:07pm

exactly. im sure some reported did a google search, and didn't find anything waaay before this.

Lamp

He had over 300 first place votes. Would be considered the biggest sports fraud in history. Even more than Mark Maquire or Barry Bonds.

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:15pm

I can not WAIT to see first take tomorrow!!!

-------------
Jan. 1, 2012-----227
Jan. 15, 2012----222

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:16pm
I wanna head what SVPelt and Ryan say .
And Tony and Mike

I wouldn't mind if First Take went away.

I like Champion though

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:21pm
He still won a lot of awards with that story...

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:22pm
OMG he's using catfish as a source

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:22pm
Why are ppl saying he didn't know it was a hoax lmao.
He talked about it after the msu game

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:24pm
Anyone else listening to this on ESPN? They spinning the hell out of this...and are now saying it was an exclusive online relationship

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:25pm

OMG he's using catfish as a source

His first source tooLOL.

Is Rudy real?Cry

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:25pm
I'm watching the Dallas Houston game.

Hold up but after the Michigan game he said he is getting through this with the support of his girlfriends family.
Ill post the vid

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:27pm

Anyone else listening to this on ESPN? They spinning the hell out of this...and are now saying it was an exclusive online relationship

Either way, Te'o is going to have to admit he lied. If he didn't lie about the entire thing, then he at least lied about meeting her in 2009 after a football game, talking on the phone every night, talking to various family members, and whatnot.

He's gonna have to admit he lied about something, so he better go ahead and say he lied about meeting her because he was embarrassed that he 'met' her online. Better do it quick too.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:27pm
Lol Manti is a fool

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:29pm
Man I'm listening to the story now.
C'mon Manti .

He said he knew the girlfriends family.

I can't listen to the lies.

We got you Manti

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:31pm

Either way, Te'o is going to have to admit he lied. If he didn't lie about the entire thing, then he at least lied about meeting her in 2009 after a football game, talking on the phone every night, talking to various family members, and whatnot.

He's gonna have to admit he lied about something, so he better go ahead and say he lied about meeting her because he was embarrassed that he 'met' her online. Better do it quick too.

@lol i agree
..Im still lol'n at him explaining catfish and saying how they end in death...Dude did not have good sources...lol

-------------

This press conference is making it worse lol. 

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:32pm
They actually hired a private investigator to look into this? Is that something they should admit to?

Im crying

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:33pm
I don't understand this

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:33pm
Lawd.LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:34pm
I was watching something else.

Did the dude at the press conference just say the girl contacted Te'o and said she really wasn't dead lol? did I hear that right or was that wrong?

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:35pm
Ok RT I need to know what you're listening too lol

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:36pm
I thought for sure I caught the tail end of him saying Lennay contacted him lol. 

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:40pm
Lmao I am not surprised

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:41pm
Hopefully hill and schelreth talk about it.
Reading it on the Internet and I listened to a clip from SC

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:42pm
The Notre Dame administration is being ethered by the people asking questions. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:42pm

I thought for sure I caught the tail end of him saying Lennay contacted him lol. 

Yes that is what he said... he said that MT got a call from the girl whos voice and number he recongized as lennay  and she told him that she wasnt really dead.  Then MT immediately called his coaches.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:43pm
IMG has to be bustling with activity. Jtfo.
Bruh Lmfao.

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:43pm
Ok found it and the transcript

Didn't know it was on ESPN news

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:45pm

Meanwhile at Lennays press conference

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:46pm
Man I wonder if he's gay

-------------
― Malcolm X

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:48pm
Manti and his father said they met him in 2009 right.

Why is this man crying? Tf

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:49pm
I don't get espn news. I'll have to rely on this thread until the video is uploaded.

How do you meet someone and exchange numbers with someone that doesn't exist tho? Did they answer that question yet?LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:50pm
I'm being lied to man

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:51pm

I don't get espn news. I'll have to rely on this thread until the video is uploaded.

How do you meet someone and exchange numbers with someone that doesn't exist tho? Did they answer that question yet?LOL

They asked. He dodged the question and said Te'o said they "met" online.

Complete contradiction to what Te'o said about them meeting in 2009 after a football game.

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:51pm

Girl aint no answer.
CC make some messy tea we in for a long night boo

-------------
― Malcolm X

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:52pm
Ok they are asking about the face to face meeting.

The AD is dodging

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:52pm
I'm so mad. I just logged onto Irish Envy to read their forum and laugh my ass off, but their board has been locked down since the story came out. All threads deleted. Seems no one can even post. 

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:55pm

I'm so mad. I just logged onto Irish Envy to read their forum and laugh my ass off, but their board has been locked down since the story came out. All threads deleted. Seems no one can even post. 

They seem to doing that on all of the ND boards...I guess I shouldnt have taken JA advice with the Lennay that shh was ASAP...LOL Blacklisted and Banned.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 7:55pm
Oh wait nvmind. Found one thread that is open.

http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/leprechaun-lounge/84692-lennay-kekua-hoax.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.irishenvy.com/forums/leprechaun-lounge/84692-lennay-kekua-hoax.html

Lemme get a sammich and prepare to read.