Print Page | Close Window

Hyphenated last names

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353432
Printed Date: Jul 16 2018 at 5:12pm

Topic: Hyphenated last names
Posted By: ImThatDiva
Subject: Hyphenated last names
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:12pm

Those of you with hyphenated last names:
Would you prefer to have one instead of two?
Have you run into problems with hyphenated last names?
What kind?

Those of you who are married and hyphenated your names:
Did/Do you regret it?
+same questions asked above.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Replies:
Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:13pm
my friend has a hyphenated haitian last name [i.e. Jean-Jacque]
her current boyfriend who is haitian also has a hyphenated last name

i feel bad for their potential kids if they decide to keep all 4 names

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:20pm
My for work I use my hyphenated name.  For social occasions and for kids school just my husbands last name.  Life would be easier without the hyphen tbh.  Businesses/work documents get them out of order all the time. Angry

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have hyphenated and just dropped my maiden name all together.

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: dreamz
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

My for work I use my hyphenated name.  For social occasions and for kids school just my husbands last name.  Life would be easier without the hyphen tbh.  Businesses/work documents get them out of order all the time. Angry

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have hyphenated and just dropped my maiden name all together.

after many 17 of hyphenating, i officially changed my name to his last year.  why? my daughter asked me to, she said it was embarassing because i was the only one in the house without the exact same last name - i don't know why i paid attention to her, she was 16 lol.  i just didn't have the same 'imma be independent' mindset that i had all those years ago, i don't really work anymore, so the professional license excuse was null and void'.  i was tired of explaining to folks that yes, i'm their mother lol.

i don't know, i can't verbalize it - i just all of a sudden wanted us to be the same.

-------------
specs: handmade 8" kinky curly upart wig. wefts purchased from http://www.kinkycurlyyaki.com

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:48pm
My name is hyphenated legally but I go by his name mostly. I used to run in to problems when getting documents,insurance, purchasing a car etc because of the points system in NY.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:49pm
It ain't that deep.

-------------

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

It ain't that deep.

I didn't think so either.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

after many 17 of hyphenating, i officially changed my name to his last year.  why? my daughter asked me to, she said it was embarassing because i was the only one in the house without the exact same last name - i don't know why i paid attention to her, she was 16 lol.  i just didn't have the same 'imma be independent' mindset that i had all those years ago, i don't really work anymore, so the professional license excuse was null and void'.  i was tired of explaining to folks that yes, i'm their mother lol.

i don't know, i can't verbalize it - i just all of a sudden wanted us to be the same.

this thread reminded me. i need to go to social security and change my name this month. might be his anniversary presentLOL

-------------

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:51pm
Interested in this.
I don't plan to hyphenate though.

Ill just drop my middle and slide my maiden name in its place

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:27pm
My first name is already hyphenated...so I don't know if I should hyphenate the last name too. It would be too long I guess

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

they should keep the ones that they like

jean-jacque & baptise-petite become
jean-petite 

lol

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

jean-petite 

lol

lmao. i will let her know. petite is a nameLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:54pm

jean-petite 

lol

i hope she's not gonna have a long ass triple hypenated name with 'petite' on the end.

-------------
specs: handmade 8" kinky curly upart wig. wefts purchased from http://www.kinkycurlyyaki.com

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 7:54pm

jean-petite 

lol

i hope she's not gonna have a long ass triple hypenated name with 'petite' on the end.

i like when you post. you make me laughEmbarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 7:58pm

weaves is so dead pity, i have to come down and bother yall.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 9:50pm
This question isn't for me but when I get married, I plan in hyphenating my last name and my children's name.

And the husband better take it! Angry

-------------
hip measured is from fullest part on butt:
start: 32C-24-35

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9bbbc000b1aa15d0337a651ec6e3f36c/tumblr_n1g94wvCbW1rk74v1o1_400.gif

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hn7ui0.jpg

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 3:48am

It ain't that deep.
always is

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:36am
I used to have it hyphenated because I thought once you get married you can just use whatever name you want like in the US. But it doesn't work that way here. You have to go to city hall and actually tell them which name you want to use. So 3 years ago I went and changed it to my husbands so we all have the name last name. 

-------------

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:40am
Doesn't anyone just replace their middle name with their maiden name?  This is what has happened in my family (on both sides) for generations.

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Posted By: ThABxBoRoUgH
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:50am
I can't wait to hyphenate my last name (I think it looks reall cool lol). My children's last names will also be hyphenated if I marry someone outside of my culture. I need my ethnicity represented in my name lol

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

I really don't understand why most women who do hyphenate, don't take their husbands name. Unless, they are entertainers or really known through media or something? Help me understand yall is it a pride issue?

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 5:44am
I'm going to hyphenate my last name when I get married bc my degrees and my job will have my original name, just in case we ever get divorced, I can go back to my original name and nothing else has to change. I remember a poster here talking about their aunt I think and how she got married before she finished college and started her career so everything had her married name on it. Fast forward 20 years her and her husband got divorced, she decided to keep her ex-husband's name bc that's how everyone knew her for her whole career and what her degree said. I don't want those issues one day

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: beautiful_hair
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 7:57am
When and if the time comes for me to get married, I will be taking my husband's last name.  I feel that we have become one and we need to have the same last name.  If I were to get divorced, I'll change my name back.

-------------
You want space? I can give you so much f'ing space you'll think you're an astronaut.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 8:04am

you got me thinking--maybe I'll drop the hyphen, too...

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: freedom76
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

I really don't understand why most women who do hyphenate, don't take their husbands name. Unless, they are entertainers or really known through media or something? Help me understand yall is it a pride issue?

Pride? Yes to a degree. I have an extreme bond with my family. All my life I was Freedom X. I see no reason to become another name. I see no reason to change documents. I have found there aren't any real repercussions to not changing your name or to hyphenate your name. With the way things are now, I can also prove I am the wife and/or the mother in my family. Too easy. It doesn't prevent any issues other than the perception of outsiders. 

-------------
I find women that encourage double standards on other women disgusting./femmefatale85

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:26am
Originally posted by freedom76 freedom76 wrote:

Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

It ain't that deep.

LOL

Pride? Yes to a degree. I have an extreme bond with my family. All my life I was Freedom X. I see no reason to become another name. I see no reason to change documents. I have found there aren't any real repercussions to not changing your name or to hyphenate your name. With the way things are now, I can also prove I am the wife and/or the mother in my family. Too easy. It doesn't prevent any issues other than the perception of outsiders. 

thank you for that perspective.

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:31am

how will the kids fill out those standardize test forms. there's only like 16 spaces on those things. lol..LOL

Print Page | Close Window