Print Page | Close Window

im not your slave and youre not my master.

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353293
Printed Date: Aug 18 2018 at 10:29pm

Topic: im not your slave and youre not my master.
Posted By: pattigurlatl
Subject: im not your slave and youre not my master.
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:18pm
"You can't make me dance to your tune. I'm not a monkey."

This is what Quentin Tarantino told an interviewer when asked about on screen violence impacting real life violent incidents.

I think he now has given himself permission to diminish slavery.
< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:20pm
I saw the whole video.
I encourage ppl to watch it.

That statement was weird though but the whole interview was interesting .

He even said slavery was genocide so I'm still not swayed that the film trivialized slavery

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:21pm
I get what he is saying.

-------------
Can't even twerk no mo. They tired out. Lets ride out.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:22pm
Im going to see it this weekend

-------------

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:23pm
QT has off mannerisms .

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:26pm
he's so neurotic.  he reminds me of a professor i had.  brilliance lost in waiting for them to get to the point or trying to decipher if they're being facetious or what.

didn't watch this video but that's the impression ive gotten from him in past interviews.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

I get what he is saying.

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:28pm
I really don't like the slaves to monkeys comparison.  < id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:32pm
I've never really cared for him.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:36pm
He is crazy. Solange got dragged through the mud when she got snarky during an interview, but I bet that wont happen to him. He's borderline obnoxious.

-------------
Domin

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Lhdc2011 Lhdc2011 wrote:

He is crazy. Solange got dragged through the mud when she got snarky during an interview, but I bet that wont happen to him. He's borderline obnoxious.

Actually it's pretty much accepted industry wide than QT is pretentious and obnoxious. He's been getting criticized for his interviews for 20 years. He's like the Kanye of film.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:49pm

lol @ kanye of film.

ummmmm...i liked kill bill...

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:51pm
Anything to draw more attention to his film I guess...

-------------

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:52pm
That comment is just and the movie was just entertainment for me nothing serious

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:52pm
nothing was outstanding about django

i watched it today

had its good moments and quotables for days but nothing oscar worthy imp for anyone on the cast

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

i watched it today

had its good moments and quotables for days but nothing oscar worthy imp for anyone on the cast
IA

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:53pm
lol.

-------------

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:54pm
Wierdo...i love all his work though. if you gys hasvent seen a B movie he did called "Sleep With Me", you should. loved it

-------------
You'll be a memory for someone someday. Try to be a good one

i watched it today

pretty much...

there were quite a few tee hee moments...

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Wildfire

Actually it's pretty much accepted industry wide than QT is pretentious and obnoxious. He's been getting criticized for his interviews for 20 years. He's like the Kanye of film.

how do you pretend for 20 years though...LOL

-------------
You'll be a memory for someone someday. Try to be a good one

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i watched it today

pretty much...

there were quite a few tee hee moments...
yeah there were

quite clearly sam's character was styled after unc ruckus hair and all \

and there were many gif moments as well..

you could tell it was a qt flick with the gruesome and graphic deaths/violence like when the horses were shot etc et.c signature qt

-------------

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

He is crazy. Solange got dragged through the mud when she got snarky
during an interview, but I bet that wont happen to him. He's borderline
obnoxious.

how do you pretend for 20 years though...LOL

nice avi WF

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:00pm
I laughed way longer than I should have with that Eskimo Joe line. It was like 10 minutes later and I was still teeheeheeing. 

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:01pm
Django was a good movie it kept my interest until it got too long but I agree it wasnt amazing I much prefer Kill Bill.
I cannot get enough of kill bill

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:03pm
I agree.  The Kill Bill series is up there among my all time favorites.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:10pm

I laughed way longer than I should have with that Eskimo Joe line. It was like 10 minutes later and I was still teeheeheeing. 

thank you stephen...you're welcome calvin...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:12pm
I bought Django on bootleg last night just to spite that cracker.

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:12pm
i need to watch kill bill

lemme go ask permission first

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

why not ask for the thx dvd rip torrent?

-------------

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:16pm

Gotta support the ghetto hustlers.

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:16pm

was this in the movie or the yt clip u posted a couple pages back?

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:17pm

right on brotha!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:19pm

i need to watch kill bill

lemme go ask permission first

LOL. (hope she says NO) LOL

We have that movie but I've never watched it. I think hub likes it tho.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

was this in the movie or the yt clip u posted a couple pages back?

Movie.

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:22pm

stimulating the economy!  you go boy...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 3:28pm
LMAO, Quentin shut him DOWN!

I completely understand why he got like that though. He didn't say that as a reference to slavery, he said that because the interviewer was leading him on to the subject of violence in his movies which Quentin quickly caught and shut down. And if you know Quentin Tarantino, you know this is a question he has ALWAYS been asked his entire career as a filmmaker so I would not be surprised that he is that damn tired of beig asked such questions.

I have seen soooo many interviews with him where he is basically being harassed by an interviewer with such questions and the interview grows heated because Quentin shares different opinions.

Questions on violence in his films are a broken record to the man- he really has elaborated enough of that matter in his 20 something years of film making and he is done answering such repetitive questions.

-------------

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 4:18am

i watched it today

it's out already in the uk?Shocked

-------------

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 5:11am
I am not watching. I didn't watch the nazi one either

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 6:12am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

LMAO, Quentin shut him DOWN!

I completely understand why he got like that though. He didn't say that as a reference to slavery, he said that because the interviewer was leading him on to the subject of violence in his movies which Quentin quickly caught and shut down. And if you know Quentin Tarantino, you know this is a question he has ALWAYS been asked his entire career as a filmmaker so I would not be surprised that he is that damn tired of beig asked such questions.

I have seen soooo many interviews with him where he is basically being harassed by an interviewer with such questions and the interview grows heated because Quentin shares different opinions.

Questions on violence in his films are a broken record to the man- he really has elaborated enough of that matter in his 20 something years of film making and he is done answering such repetitive questions.

I am also okay with Quentin shutting him down.  It could be me, but I feel like the interviewer was slowly trying to make a connection between the violence in his films and the violence occurring IRL in the US.  Quentin was having none of that.

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Date Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

i watched it today

-------------

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 6:44am

Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

i watched it today

LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 6:55am
don't think this needs it's own thread so I'll put it here:

Quentin Tarantino on Django Unchained and the Problem with ‘Roots’

http://www.eurweb.com/2011/05/quentin-tarantino-to-make-film-on-slavery/quentin-tarantino/" rel="nofollow">quentin tarantino

The lack of a respectable film detailing the impact of slavery on this country fascinated both die-hard film buffs. Eventually both men—who met on the set of Jackie Brown in 1997—became obsessed with the idea of crafting a no-nonsense, somewhat entertaining film detailing the lesser known aspects of slavery. After one conversation with Hudlin stuck in his mind, Tarantino went to work on an all-or-nothing script. Six months later, ­Django Unchained was born.

Set in the South just two years before the Civil War, Django Unchained (in theaters Dec. 25) somehow masterfully manages to present the haunting brutality of slavery while also infusing an outlandish humor only Tarantino could bring to the big screen. Moviegoers will be treated to the often controversial director’s deep love for the spaghetti western genre along with a blazing narrative of one man’s desire for vengeance and love. After being freed by a German bounty hunter, Django (Jamie Foxx) helps him track down a few bad guys for profit and then goes on a mission to find and free his enslaved wife (Kerry Washington).

“I was always amazed so many Western films could get away with not dealing with slavery at all,” says Tarantino, sitting in Todd-AO studios in Los Angeles where he was attempting to whittle the film to under three hours just after Thanksgiving. “Hollywood didn’t want to deal with it because it was too ugly and too messy. But how can you ignore such a huge part of American history when telling a story in that time period? It made no sense.”

It didn’t make much sense to Hudlin either. The director of the popular ’90s films House Party and Boomerang says he was baffled by the sugarcoated and abbreviated tales. “I hated all those films about slavery over the years. Any time Hollywood did deem it OK to talk about slavery, they were not worth watching,” says Hudlin, who is Django Unchained’s executive producer. “My idea of a great slave movie was Spartacus. Until African-American slavery was treated in that same manner, I had no interest in hearing what Hollywood had to say about the issue.”

With only two years of age separating Tarantino and Hudlin, they watched the same slavery-themed films as young kids—and then grew to hate them as adults. Titles such as Mandingo and ­Uncle Tom’s Cabin roll off their tongues with joint eye rolls and audible sighs. The not­able period film Glory, starring Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman as freed slaves serving in the U.S. Army, gets an honorable mention nod from Hudlin.

“I liked the black characters in Glory,” says Hudlin, whose great-grandfather was a conductor on the Underground Railroad. “Didn’t see the point of the white ones. The true story was the slaves in the film. They should have been the main ­focal point of the entire plot. But somehow no one figured that out.”

The faults of Glory aside, not much compares to the anger both men harbor toward the landmark television miniseries Roots. Written by Alex Haley and hailed in 1977 for telling the “complete” story of slavery, Roots remains the third most-watched miniseries of all time. It is also still considered the definitive mainstream portrait of slavery in the U.S.

When you look at ‘Roots,’ nothing about it rings true in the storytelling, and none of the performances ring true for me either…“I didn’t see it when it first came on, but when I did I couldn’t get over how oversimplified they made everything about that time. It didn’t move me because it claimed to be something it wasn’t.””

While many white directors might shy away from criticizing such an iconic symbol of African-American culture, ­Tarantino doesn’t hold back. He’s confident in his knowledge of a time and subject most people know little about and would rather forget. He was also savvy enough to bring Hudlin on board. “There were times when I’d be filming a scene and really getting into it and Reg would just say, ‘Hey is this the story you wanted to tell?’ He’d bring the focus back if I got too carried away.”

One thing both men agreed on was a scene in Roots that served as an example of what not to do in Django Unchained. The last act of the final episode features the character Chicken George being given the opportunity to beat his slave master and owner in much the same way he’d been punished and tormented. In the end the character chooses not to so he can be “the bigger man.”

Bulls--t,” exclaim both Tarantino and Hudlin in unison as they discuss the absurdity of the scene. “No way he becomes the bigger man at that moment,” says Tarantino. “The powers that be during the ’70s didn’t want to send the message of revenge to African-Americans. They didn’t want to give black people any ideas. But anyone knows that would never happen in that situation. And in Django ­Unchained we make that clear.”

Foxx shines as a man driven to punish those who tortured him, while also yearning for his wife, who was sold to another plantation years before. “It’s really important that this story is also a love story about a black man and a black woman,” says Hudlin. “In the midst of all the horrible things going on during that time, this man was in love and wanted his wife back. You don’t see black men in love too much on the big screen in slavery days, or modern times either.”

In a film already full of twists (not to mention costars Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Waltz), Leonardo DiCaprio throws the ultimate punch portraying the young, handsome, rich plantation owner Calvin Candie. He owns Candyland plantation, where Django’s wife is being held, and thrives on the suffering he causes. The role is a marked departure for DiCaprio, who has spoken about how difficult the subject matter was to read, act, and convey on the big screen.

“He really embodied that entitled young male character perfectly,” says Tarantino. “His grandfather owned and made the plantation successful and his father kept it going in the movie. But DiCaprio’s character is just this kid who’s done nothing for the life he’s living. He’s living it up all the way with his decadence and greed, with no concern for how he got it.”

But neither an A-list cast nor ­Tarantino’s past box office hits will be enough to save Django Unchained if moviegoers decide not to support a film that focuses so intensely on one of America’s darkest hours. Slavery is a subject both black and white audiences tend to avoid in theaters. Yet Tarantino and Hudlin say the timing for Django Unchained couldn’t be better.

“The dynamics of the country are changing and people are talking about that,” says Tarantino. “This time in history is a part of that conversation, and I love that we’re out there talking about it in the middle of the other films about Lincoln and whoever. I may take flak but I always do on some level with my work. Wouldn’t be a Tarantino film without some flak and criticism. I bet anyone who sees the film won’t be able to forget it—and that’s the point.”

Like http://www.facebook.com/thedailybeast" rel="nofollow - The Daily Beast on Facebook and http://twitter.com/thedailybeast" rel="nofollow - follow us on Twitter for updates all day long.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 6:59am
rutt row.  he done effed up now...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:03am
TC, I added the full article so everybody can have the correct context
(LOL)

but yeah he's done it now!

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:10am
he can fugg himself. roots shouldn't even be touching his blue lips. prentitious lttle prick

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:18am

-------------

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:33am
Not shocked or surprised in the least.  

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:35am
I do agree with this though:

<<“I liked the black characters in Glory,” says Hudlin, whose great-grandfather was a conductor on the Underground Railroad. “Didn’t see the point of the white ones. The true story was the slaves in the film. They should have been the main ­focal point of the entire plot. But somehow no one figured that out.”>>

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

I have to rewatch the Roots miniseries from the 70s. It's funny how much they trying to push Django as a black empowerment film.

Exactly and it is no where near that!!!

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 10:19am
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

I do agree with this though:

<<“I liked the black characters in Glory,” says Hudlin, whose great-grandfather was a conductor on the Underground Railroad. “Didn’t see the point of the white ones. The true story was the slaves in the film. They should have been the main ­focal point of the entire plot. But somehow no one figured that out.”>>

i dont even remember the whites in that movieOuch

but i do agree with the part about the black guy not whipping his master. aint no slave not taking that opportunityLOL

wasnt roots directed by a white man?

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 11:03am
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I am not watching. I didn't watch the nazi one either

This.

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 11:05am
That article/interview happened over a month ago, weeks before the official release of the movie. Nobody cared.

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 12:13pm
He's so ew to me. From his face to his movies. Ewh.

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 12:17pm

I have to rewatch the Roots miniseries from the 70s. It's funny how much they trying to push Django as a black empowerment film.

I watched it when it was on during Christmas.
I hated it....it was terrible. Confused
It didn't move me at all. 

-------------

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 12:18pm
y'all gat QT talking with his chest...watch the NAACP Awards give him best movie and best director LOL

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 12:54pm
After reading the article I kinda agree. Some things in Roots were sensationalized. However, some things rang true and hit your heart a bit. I do like that Django shed light on a few things that are constantly glossed over. Like he said-black (slave) marriage and how serious it was to them. And how many times if they found out about it the couple would be sold to separate plantations. Also, the mandingo fighting, and the torture that went beyond being whipped-like rape and Broomhilda's character being kept in the sweatbox or whatever for days.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: astokes
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by tasty0619 tasty0619 wrote:

After reading the article I kinda agree. Some things in Roots were sensationalized. However, some things rang true and hit your heart a bit. I do like that Django shed light on a few things that are constantly glossed over. Like he said-black (slave) marriage and how serious it was to them. And how many times if they found out about it the couple would be sold to separate plantations. Also, the mandingo fighting, and the torture that went beyond being whipped-like rape and Broomhilda's character being kept in the sweatbox or whatever for days.
"

and I looooovvvved the movie but i like all qt movies 

-------------
Passing all my classes ...........life is good ;)
This Grad School thing is EASY

Posted By: fakeizme
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 1:40pm
I think if Django was directed by a black man, a lot of these comments would be non-existent. African Americans don't seem to like the idea of a 'black movie' done by a white man. Then again, it doesn't seem like any black producers/directors are interested in doing a movie like this either.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 1:57pm
Idt I like QT from this interview...

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 1:58pm
How does what he said diminish slavery………….. Confused

Posted By: jayjaynonie
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:33pm

I was like duh. lol I knew that was the answer to that ?

I agree I don't think it diminishes slavery either. I think he was trying to let the interviewer know that he couldn't goad him into a corner with those implications.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

Not shocked or surprised in the least.  
Nope. But it will probably help his image with some folk.LOLDead

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by fakeizme fakeizme wrote:

I think if Django was directed by a black man, a lot of these comments would be non-existent. African Americans don't seem to like the idea of a 'black movie' done by a white man. Then again, it doesn't seem like any black producers/directors are interested in doing a movie like this either.

Disagree. I don't think it's a lack of interest from the black directors but a blatant lack of interest from movie studios. Black films are no longer the big earners they once were. Unfortunately, audiences are now more biased to films they deem for black people.

Because of this, directing and releasing a black film like any other film these days is a harder challenge to achieve. A white and well-loved money-making director like Tarantino got this film on the silver screen with ease because Tarantino is white and known to give moviegoers a great show while pocketing their money. Django, despite the empowerment being advertised on black was clearly a film marketed for all to enjoy.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:44pm
They were right about Roots, though.

Bigger man my ass, beat that pale motherfucker in!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:45pm
Tyler Perry has the power and money and cache to make a serious powerful black movie.

I don't necessarily fault him for not doing so though,
That's not his wheelhouse,

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 3:52pm
God, I truly dislike this movie, like I knew I would. This whole ketchup-filled parody does not sit well with me. I tried to keep an open mind but I just don't get why people are raving about it. It's not the least bit empowering, if anything it makes slavery look like a joke because of the spaghetti western treatment and the graphic violence can't make up for that

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 5:15pm
To the people who dislike the movie, can you give specific reasons why you don't like it? Like specific scenes and whatnot? I'm just really trying to understand why people are so up in arms about this film. 

I read the article that Alias posted but I still don't understand the gripe. The person who wrote th piece kept talking bout how the film denies the viewer of this, makes the viewer insensitive to that but I'm like...dude, how you gone tell me how I interpreted the movie? LOL 

While I agree that Django is far from a masterpiece,  it really isn't that deep to me but I'd like to understand other people's perspectives. 

-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Tyler Perry has the power and money and cache to make a serious powerful black movie.

I don't necessarily fault him for not doing so though,
That's not his wheelhouse,

That man doesn't have the talent. Dead Parp movies are his forte.

-------------

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

To the people who dislike the movie, can you give specific reasons why you don't like it? Like specific scenes and whatnot? I'm just really trying to understand why people are so up in arms about this film. 

I read the article that Alias posted but I still don't understand the gripe. The person who wrote th piece kept talking bout how the film denies the viewer of this, makes the viewer insensitive to that but I'm like...dude, how you gone tell me how I interpreted the movie? LOL 

While I agree that Django is far from a masterpiece,  it really isn't that deep to me but I'd like to understand other people's perspectives. 

*SPOILERS*

I just saw the movie for the first time and I want to get my major gripes with this film out while they're still fresh.

I didn't mind the gratuitous use of the "n-word" or the violence...in fact I loved the violence and I normally don't. To be truthful, I didn't really even mind all that much that a film that supposedly stars Jamie Foxx is was still very much a white savior film. I think that I took it for exactly what it is, a non-historical "cowboy" piece set in the antebellum South, a piece of entertainment, a QT film, and I still don't like it. My husband loves it. 

I don't see Django and Steven as two radically different characters, and that's why I found it hard to root for Django. Make no mistake, I loved seeing him kill all those whiteys. I know that his main focus was getting his wife back, but it seemed obvious to me that he didn't really give two shyts about any of the other black people in the film. Steven used his position with Candie to make life harder for the other slaves, but ultimately he was still a slave trying to protect himself. Django's character is actually somewhat disturbing to me because he was a free man (yeah, and I know, 1858 Mississippi), and his position with Dr. Schulz gave him a great deal of leverage, far beyond the slaves and even above the bottom of the barrel white people. But he used his advantage and his access to down-talk the slaves when he JUST became free, and he didn't let Schulz buy D'artagnan so that he wouldn't be eaten by the dogs. That was just it for me.  

According to my husband, I'm reading way too much into this but I didn't like that he didn't tell the three men being transported to the mine to go, to look for the north star or anything. I didn't like that he didn't work with any of the slaves. I think that it would have been awesome to have had a band of rogue slaves, or even a few, just fvcking up shyt. But to me, he just seemed like most uppity negroes who feel powerful because they're in with the white man, who use whatever power they have to get what they want (Broomhilda in this case) then go about their business then go on their merry way. And I don't know that it wasn't an accident. I feel like it could have been more interesting...or even just more entertaining...if it weren't just Django being unchained. 

But oh well.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 10:05pm
I didn't like Django either.
He was uppity as freak .

And didnt have alot of compassion for the other slaves.
But I was thinking he did that scene with the dogs bc he had to play a part to get to his wife and Shultz got out of character

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 10:10pm
Yeah Django was uppity. I didn't like that he didn't show any guilt or any emotion towards getting that slave killed. He also seemed to like being "above" the other slaves. He was quick to put them in their place whenever necessary.

-------------
yo

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 1:53am

I haven't see the movie yet.   

QT is a strange dude, and eccentric, but I can say one thing I know to be true: HE IS NOT A RACIST. 

I think in a way,  he has forgotten that he is white.  He will pop off saying things  and think nothing about it until someone says, hey man, wtf?  He is very cameleon like.  He is wierd, but HOLLYWOOD will do that to you.  That's why I don't live there anymore.

As someone has said, his movies have been controversial from the beginning of his career.  He often goes against the grain and does sh1t cause he can, and because he dares to.  He also keeps a lot of black folks working in film.  White Hollywood is none to pleased about it, but when the money comes rolling in they shut up and stick out their hands for a piece of the action.  I take the publicity with a grain of salt.  It's entertainment, not real.  But that doesn't mean that sh1t can't portray what happened irl. 

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:19am
django was uppity?

i thought he had a role to play

act too slaveish and you were a dead man, being a sympathetic niguh would have been seen as aweakness like how are you a sympathetic niguh and here you are trying to play the role of a mandigo fight master? no comprende no?

i do agree that he could have been more helpful to the other slaves being transported or banded up with them

the one thing that stuck out to me though was as much s he was a free man, he still took orders from dr schultz

but tbh i never looked that much into the movie

-------------

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:28am

django was uppity?

act too slaveish and you were a dead man, being a sympathetic niguh would have been seen as aweakness like how are you a sympathetic niguh and here you are trying to play the role of a mandigo fight master? no comprende no?

i do agree that he could have been more helpful to the other slaves being transported or banded up with them

the one thing that stuck out to me though was as much s he was a free man, he still took orders from dr schultz

he wasn't technically a free man until he finished working with schultz. Remember that schultz said "you help me and pretend to be a freeman".. and that he will help him get his wife back then his freedom. But he had to listen to Dr.schultz first and finish their mission.

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:29am

not sure how Django was uppity....or how he was responsible for that slave's death...

he wasn't he just pretended to be, he even told cora to, "get the hell away from those qwhite people" LOL

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:31am
I thought the dog scene was a test to see, like Afro said, if he would be sympathetic to the slaves, or if they were seriously trying to buy a fighter-well a winner. Because that is what got them in Candie's graces and on his property after all.

I would have liked to see him empower another slave or free man and not be on that "I am one in 10,000" or whatever the line was.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:31am

naw Django was free after they killed those 3 brothers...cause Schultz was like "i can't see myself letting u go to Mississippi alone, i never gave a man his freedom before....." 

but a negro still ain't free in MississippiLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:33am

I thought the dog scene was a test to see, like Afro said, if he would be sympathetic to the slaves, or if they were seriously trying to buy a fighter-well a winner. Because that is what got them in Candie's graces and on his property after all.

I would have liked to see him empower another slave or free man and not be on that "I am one in 10,000" or whatever the line was.

true.. he was basically saying that Candie was right in his theories.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:36am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

true.. he was basically saying that Candie was right in his theories.

But...I don't feel like he was right. He was trained. Granted many things take some sort of natural talent but he was trained and practiced to become that good.

-------------

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:37am

django was uppity?

-------------
nihoa-zaijan.tumblr.com/

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 3:40am
but damn steven, lol

i wonder if they got aaron mcgruder to write his lines,

then again, sam was ed wunclers sidekick's voice in the boondocks

that was funny and that nicca sholl was uppity

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:23am

django was uppity?

And the exact same thing can be said about Steven (Samuel L.), yet everyone hates his character. Steven was playing a role, looking out for himself, making sure that since he has to be a slave he's going to get the best life he can get. Every slave in that house was forced to play a role yet that makes neither them nor Django, nor this entire movie any more likeable to me.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:37am
good point BB

i think in django's case it was that we see his persecution throughout the entire movie, he becomes endearing. whereas steven, well, we saw no redeeming qualities about him, nothing was endearing to his character.

two sides of the same coin though

-------------

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:47am
Uppity ass negro!! LOL 

-------------
yo

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:06am
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

django was uppity?

And the exact same thing can be said about Steven (Samuel L.), yet everyone hates his character. Steven was playing a role, looking out for himself, making sure that since he has to be a slave he's going to get the best life he can get. Every slave in that house was forced to play a role yet that makes neither them nor Django, nor this entire movie any more likeable to me.

I disagree though, Steve Ruckus was just a plain coon. House slave who fell victim to white supremacist ideals and was willingly subservient to "massa" not only to look out for himself but because he genuinely felt that way.

He outright looked out for Candie. Was greatly bothered by Django being treated as an equal. Exposed Django and Schultz's plan. Grew suspicious of his wife. Showed genuine mourning when Candie got shot. Cursed Django and praised the white man until he got blown up.

Old man, even when in the position of being free and no longer having a white master to serve defended his oppressors. He did not change at all. It's like a sick racial stockholm syndrome.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:13am

*SPOILERS*

I just saw the movie for the first time and I want to get my major gripes with this film out while they're still fresh.

I didn't mind the gratuitous use of the "n-word" or the violence...in fact I loved the violence and I normally don't. To be truthful, I didn't really even mind all that much that a film that supposedly stars Jamie Foxx is was still very much a white savior film. I think that I took it for exactly what it is, a non-historical "cowboy" piece set in the antebellum South, a piece of entertainment, a QT film, and I still don't like it. My husband loves it. 

I don't see Django and Steven as two radically different characters, and that's why I found it hard to root for Django. Make no mistake, I loved seeing him kill all those whiteys. I know that his main focus was getting his wife back, but it seemed obvious to me that he didn't really give two shyts about any of the other black people in the film. Steven used his position with Candie to make life harder for the other slaves, but ultimately he was still a slave trying to protect himself. Django's character is actually somewhat disturbing to me because he was a free man (yeah, and I know, 1858 Mississippi), and his position with Dr. Schulz gave him a great deal of leverage, far beyond the slaves and even above the bottom of the barrel white people. But he used his advantage and his access to down-talk the slaves when he JUST became free, and he didn't let Schulz buy D'artagnan so that he wouldn't be eaten by the dogs. That was just it for me.  

According to my husband, I'm reading way too much into this but I didn't like that he didn't tell the three men being transported to the mine to go, to look for the north star or anything. I didn't like that he didn't work with any of the slaves. I think that it would have been awesome to have had a band of rogue slaves, or even a few, just fvcking up shyt. But to me, he just seemed like most uppity negroes who feel powerful because they're in with the white man, who use whatever power they have to get what they want (Broomhilda in this case) then go about their business then go on their merry way. And I don't know that it wasn't an accident. I feel like it could have been more interesting...or even just more entertaining...if it weren't just Django being unchained. 

But oh well.

You know, you make very good points and I too had similar thoughts while watching the film though I enjoyed it. But Django really could have been more sympathetic and help out other slaves.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:18am
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

I haven't see the movie yet.   

QT is a strange dude, and eccentric, but I can say one thing I know to be true: HE IS NOT A RACIST. 

I think in a way,  he has forgotten that he is white.  He will pop off saying things  and think nothing about it until someone says, hey man, wtf?  He is very cameleon like.  He is wierd, but HOLLYWOOD will do that to you.  That's why I don't live there anymore.

As someone has said, his movies have been controversial from the beginning of his career.  He often goes against the grain and does sh1t cause he can, and because he dares to.  He also keeps a lot of black folks working in film.  White Hollywood is none to pleased about it, but when the money comes rolling in they shut up and stick out their hands for a piece of the action.  I take the publicity with a grain of salt.  It's entertainment, not real.  But that doesn't mean that sh1t can't portray what happened irl. 

I love Tarantino, but he used to be very ignorant when it came to race. But these days, it's clear the man definitely knows better and has learned quite a lot about the dynamics of race and racism in America.

Did anyone see his little interview backstage in the golden globe awards where stars talk to the camera after getting their awards?

If you see how this man was dropping truth bombs about drugs and the modern day slavery that is jail that America actively seeks to throw black men in, you'd be surprised this is the same Quentin who felt so entitled earlier in his career.

He only repeated what has always been said but I'm glad he said it at the for the nation to hear.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:21am
Real talk, I would have loved a revolt.

I was already clapping with glee whenever Django whooped white ass, me making white audience members uncomfortable with pleasure, but a revolt would have had me straight cheering.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:42am
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Uppity ass negro!! LOL 

stfu

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:42am

yea i think maybe some of yall wanted this film to be a "slave revolt" movie when that was never its true intention...so naw Django wasn't gonna rally up slaves and start up a rebellion...it was strictly about him getting his woman....this wasn't a black empowerment film

Yeah I think that would have been great, actually. I think the fact that QT made this a film solely about getting his woman against the backdrop of American slavery almost made the entire story too easy for me. 

And I also have a problem with this film being marketed as "important" in black media. Kathy Hughes and all of them saw the movie before Christmas and still marketed it a certain way, and they were wrong for that. There was absolutely no takeaway, and while I think that, for what it was, it was a decent movie, it was as unimportant as pretty much every other movie out here.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 5:47am

django was uppity?

I disagree though, Steve Ruckus was just a plain coon. House slave who fell victim to white supremacist ideals and was willingly subservient to "massa" not only to look out for himself but because he genuinely felt that way.

He outright looked out for Candie. Was greatly bothered by Django being treated as an equal. Exposed Django and Schultz's plan. Grew suspicious of his wife. Showed genuine mourning when Candie got shot. Cursed Django and praised the white man until he got blown up.

Old man, even when in the position of being free and no longer having a white master to serve defended his oppressors. He did not change at all. It's like a sick racial stockholm syndrome.

One thing that I dislike about this movie is that it's not meant to be "that deep," and unlike the way that it was marketed, it wasn't meant to "spark discussion" about history and slavery and blackness. In the way that Steven was presented, I see where you're coming from and think that you're correct. I also disagree with you.

I know that this was a film set in slavery, not a film about slavery. But I feel that in order to truly understand Steven's character, he can't only live in the universe of this movie. Of course he's nobody's hero, but a man who has learned to navigate the sadistic evils of slavery in order to survive. I believe that the utmost loyalty to the Candie family was his only way to ensure stability, to avoid torture and to make the best of the only life he knew, without a gun and a liberal white man. When Candie got shot, I'm pretty sure that he knew that he was going to be sold and life wouldn't be nearly as decent for him wherever he went. I don't admire Steven one bit but it begs the question, at least for me, how did slaves survive slavery? Run away (to where?), just endure it and hope that there's a Heaven, revolt, die, or pander to make sure your basic needs are met. What else?

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 6:28am

Real talk, I would have loved a revolt.

I was already clapping with glee whenever Django whooped white ass, me making white audience members uncomfortable with pleasure, but a revolt would have had me straight cheering.

Is there a great movie about Nat turner out? Because django was a non-empathetic movie from a white mans point of view...

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 8:05am
yeah bb his me me me attitude kept me from relating to him or even being all that happy when he got his woman back...i usually drop a few tears during the cescendo of  movies with this sort of reuniting.  not one single tear was shed in this case...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

yeah bb his me me me attitude kept me from relating to him or even being all that happy when he got his woman back...i usually drop a few tears during the cescendo of  movies with this sort of reuniting.  not one single tear was shed in this case...

Yeah. I was happy for him, but I was ultimately left with a meh

I was disappointed that Kerry didn't have a bigger role, too, as much as they hyped her up.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 10:20am
yep...i smiled but was not moved with emotion...

i wanted kerry to have a bigger role as well...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 12:34pm

but I didn't like that he didn't tell the three men being transported to the mine to go, to look for the north star or anything. I didn't like that he didn't work with any of the slaves. I think that it would have been awesome to have had a band of rogue slaves, or even a few, just fvcking up shyt. But to me, he just seemed like most uppity negroes who feel powerful because they're in with the white man, who use whatever power they have to get what they want (Broomhilda in this case) then go about their business then go on their merry way. And I don't know that it wasn't an accident. I feel like it could have been more interesting...or even just more entertaining...if it weren't just Django being unchained. 

But oh well.

yes that was cold. 

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 7:56pm
Good discussion. Too bad I'm late and too tired to add much. 

I did want to know how everyone interpreted that "pre Klan" rally bit. I was dying laughing but at the same time I think there was a bigger message in that scene that people may have overlooked. I thought it was a brilliant in its description of the racist white men being, not some big ugly scary looking, intimidating monsters but  just the regular, goofy, dumb,nerdy and dumb white dudes that we all come across everyday. 

Too tired to expound but did anyone else pick up on that?

-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:52am
yeah i noticed that too and i laughed a lot!

it was quite a trending post on tumblr!

and i agree with your analysis, the klan wasnt some big scheme it was just a bunch of bumbling fools who used scare tactics

it was one of the better points on the ecreen.

also the betina, scene, when don johnson says dont treat him like no ordinary nicca, but you cant treat him like white folk neither, (that once a nicca always a nicca moment)

the more i think about it, the more i actually didnt want jamie fox to get his wife in the end, that was a tad bit too cliche as would have been keeping dr schultz alive.

my s.o pointed something out, she said, he is supposed to be this bad ass sharpshooting supernegro with relfexes of note, yet it was inevitable that after schultz shot candy he was bound to be shot. where were those sharp shooting quick reflexes?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 4:58am
So I watched the movie earlier.
It's a comedic western style movie that happens to deal with slavery.
I enjoyed it....though I could have done without all the blood splatter. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window