Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353177
Printed Date: Aug 17 2018 at 8:19pm

Topic: SweetNovember*s Hair Journal
Posted By: SweetNovember*
Subject: SweetNovember*s Hair Journal
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:22pm
Hello everyone. I am currently over 11 months post relaxer. This is my third time trying to go natural and this is the longest I've gone. My last transitioning stint I made it to nine months. This time I want to go all the way.

I am APL in the front, maybe longer in some other places. It looks as if my new growth is a good half of my hair in the front, less in the back. If I put my hair in a puff the new growth extends out of it a little bit.

I am either 4b or 4c, I'm not sure. It seems I have coils in the very back but other areas don't seem to have much of a pattern at all. If I had an Afro I'm pretty sure it would be a true "puff" Afro, not the kind with the random little coils all over. But I can't be too sure because my relaxed hair is still attached.

From what I have been told my hair is very porous. It's not very pliable at all and even though it's always been on the longer side it's never had that shine or that "swing." It tends to be dry but it is very thick.

I have used a flat iron for only two hairstyles since I started transitioning. Both times I used a heat protectant and neither time my hair got straight so hopefully it isn't damaged. The highest I put it on was 420 degrees. It's been 3 1/2 months since I used a flat iron.

I'll add more if I can think of anything other pertinent background information. Hopefully I will learn from patterns in my hair care routine and you guys can help me with any questions that I have. Thanks for reading!

-------------
I mean damn can my p**** be tight?

Replies:
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:28pm
I just washed and deep conditioned my hair. The products I used were L'Oreal EverStrong Sulfate-free Fortifying Shampoo, Organics Hair Mayonnaise and ORS Replenishing Pak, Cantu Shea Butter Leave In, and unrefined Shea butter.

Last time I used pretty much the same products but my hair was a lot softer and more combable. The only difference was last time I used a sulfate clarifying shampoo and instead of shea butter I used Crisco to seal. I was pleased that I still had very little shedding compared to past washes, but my hair was all stuck together I had to put I lot of effort into detangling. I don't know why my hair feels like this. I have been moisturizing and sealing nearly every day since my last wash a week ago.

ETA: I should add that when my hair dries it feels great. It's actually really soft and touchable but kinda greasy from the shea butter. It's only when it's wet that it feels stringy with no slip. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:31pm
I put my hair in six large twists to dry with a soft bonnet dryer on low. I may start on some yarn braids tonight. Who knows, by the time I take them out I may be ready to BC! Or I may just put on a U-part. We'll see. But it will be some sort of protective style.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 2:49am
Here are some length and texture shots from my previous wash and DC last week since I've already started on my yarn braids. Once I make some progress with the braids I will post pics. These pics were also after a twist out.

It seems I was a bit off the mark with the half new growth/half relaxed estimate. My natural hair does get a lot longer when stretched, though. As you can see in some pics, my new growth is much darker than my relaxed hair. My mom told me that when I was little my hair was coal black, but things like relaxers and sun make it lighter. It's noticeable when my hair is in a ponytail. The contrast was stark, but nice lol. Almost like an ombre.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 2:54am

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 2:57am

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 3:07am

-------------

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 4:45am
good progressClap I will be doing my big chop after this latest installCry

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 4:52am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Then you should start your own thread too f8! I can't wait to see!

-------------

Posted By: Emily Loretta
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 4:53am
Great progress!! What's your hair regiment like?

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 4:56am
Originally posted by Emily Loretta Emily Loretta wrote:

Great progress!! What's your hair regiment like?

Thanks! I'm still trying to develop a regimen. I'll be trying different things and keeping track of what works and what doesn't. I recently bought so many products that I still have to try, so I'm sure it'll be a while before I fall into a routine.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 5:28am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Then you should start your own thread too f8! I can't wait to see!

girl I'm way to private for all thatLOL but I will def try a new regime. Good luck on yoursThumbs Up

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Posted By: lovelybrown
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 7:03am
Well done! I tried to transition and lasted 4 months (not even because I kept doing mini chops). I wished I big chopped earlier or had the stamina to transition for longer.  You are doing great and your hair looks lovely and thick. 

-------------
How we look is superficial, but nothing wrong in making the best of it all.

Posted By: Cherry89
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 11:26am
I love this Journal thread Idea. Esp since we don't have our own blog up here on bhm :)

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 11:52am

you have beautiful hair

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Posted By: Cherry89
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 1:47pm
just saw ur pictures. Your hair is pretty and thick!!

Posted By: AmberColour
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 6:20pm
Love these threads!
May have to start one too.LOL
Plus everybody loves pitchas! (LOL)

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 6:56pm

Beautiful hair!!

Good luck with this transition.

I might just start a journal thread too.
2013 is my hair's comeback year.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 7:03pm
Yes guys, I'd love to see more threads like these! We can help each other.

-------------

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 9:36pm
Yes! Thick beautiful hair! All of that in 11 months?  Can't wait to see your progress!

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 10:35pm
good luck. i'll be keeping an eye on this thread and celebrating your progress along with you! do you have a goal length in mind? 

-------------
4 inches to BSB!
**SL reached June 2013**
Check out my blog at http://thegrowthexperience.blogspot.com

Date Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 3:19am
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

good luck. i'll be keeping an eye on this thread and celebrating your progress along with you! do you have a goal length in mind? 

No, not really. I'm just waiting until it gets to the point that I'm comfortable enough to big chop. Last month I thought I was about to do it, but then I chickened out. When I finally do it it will probably be on a whim.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 4:56am
I measured my newgrowth in the middle of my head. So far it's grown exactly six inches since my last relaxer in February of last year. I will do another length check around that time to see where I stand. I think it was February 6th or something like that but I could be wrong. It shrinks to about four inches. It's not curly at all, only puffy and  crinkly. But very small waves when it is defined and pulled straight as you can see in my other pics. That's 4c right?

I believe I definitely have heat damage around my perimeter. I will post pics of it later today or tomorrow. Just from those two occasions and my hair didn't even get straight anyway smh. I will do some research to see if there's anything I can do other than chop it off.

Also I'm almost done my yarn braids. I will post pics of those soon too.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 5:10am
Actually it shrinks to a little less than four inches. Even when relaxed my new growth was always very voluminous and thick which is what I hated about my relaxed hair.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 4:50am
Finished my yarn braids! They are a little below BSL. Here they are:

I plan on leaving them in for 2+ months. I'll redo the edges as necessary. I could use some advice on keep my hair moisturized and conditioned while in braids because I really don't want to waste product on the yarn which will suck up most of the product. I'm probably going to stick to cheap stuff like S-curl or homemade moisturizer sprays.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 4:59am
Onto the heat damage I told you about.

First my regular texture:

You can kinda see it is straighter at the front.

Now close up:

As you can see my hair is really thick and tight at the root. I'm guessing that's the hair that has grown since I last flat ironed my edges at the end of September. In the middle is the heat damaged hair. It is still somewhat kinky but permanently stretched. At the end is my relaxed hair which is looser still.

Is there any way I can fix this without cutting?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 4:02pm
I made a tea tree oil mix using 1/4 ounce tea tree oil and 3 3/4 ounces of castor oil. I put it in an applicator bottle to use on my scalp. I can't believe how strong the tea tree is. I can still feel a slight tingle and I applied it early this morning. I haven't moisturized my braids yet. I can't wait to put my other oils to good use.

-------------

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Jan 14 2013 at 8:10pm
Your hair is so thick and pretty!!!! I'm trying to see how long I can transition this go round b4 I get tired and chop it off.. I said 2 years but I'm probably going to wait until June of this year and decide from there..

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 2:45am
I'm becoming obsessed with my hair. What makes it worse is I can't observe or experiment with it while it's in these braids. I keep thinking about how it would look if I cut it right now, what texture I am, what would my puff look like, would I be a able too get it to lie flat, would I regret it, etc. I'm really trying not to think about it.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 9:17am
Your hair is very nice and thick, sweetnovember!
I love those yarn braids too.
Can't wait to see when you finally BC. (: though I think your hair looks 4b, but you won't know yet.
Just do it on your own accord, not because you feel pressured too.
My 1st go round natural I transitioned for over a year.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 10:13pm
I visited a natural hair salon today. Most of the people in there were loc'd up.I won't be taking these braids out for the next couple months but I met the stylist and told her what I wanted and what my plans were. After my BC I will likely want to get a celebratory style like some flat twists in a design with a puff. It was so exciting seeing all those natural people in one place! A break from all the over-relaxed heads in the general population.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 2:35pm
I big chopped! Yesterday. I did it myself. Cool I'll be back with some pics in a couple days or so.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 4:28pm
CongratulationsClap

Date Posted: Mar 09 2013 at 2:13am
Thanks, tatee.

I gonna GHE tonight. I'm ODing on healthy hair practices right now. I'm tryna get this natural thing started off right! 

Posted By: YaYaStar
Date Posted: Mar 09 2013 at 3:41am
Congratulations!

Posted By: naynay455
Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 10:23am
congrats, i have been reading ur journal for the past ten mins. one second im reading that ur in yarn braids and then the next you have big chopped. i was so surprised all i could say was "what the hell" like six times then i scrolled back up to read the dates. then i scrolled all the way down looking for pics.

im so happy for you congrats on ur will power to transition so long i only made it 5 months. and good luck on ur all natural journey.

cant wait to see pics.....

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 4:45pm
Oh my God your hair is beautiful!

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Mar 16 2013 at 9:08pm

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 2:15pm
Thanks, guys! I need to take some clear pics soon. I was gonna redo my twists today but I think I'm gonna leave them be for another week. I washed my twists a few hours ago with Cream of Nature. I already had it so I'm gonna just run it out. I used Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Mask as a deep conditioner and used my bonnet dryer for about 20 minutes. Then I let it cool and rinsed with cool water. I used Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner (probably too much of it) rubbing it all through my twists. Then I used my castor oil/Monistat/tea tree oil mix on my scalp and put on my processing cap to shield my fingers while I massaged it into my scalp. I sealed my twists with grape seed oil.

My twists are pretty fuzzy but I don't mind because from a distance they kinda look like locs, which I love but am afraid to get. 

But anyway, here are some pics from right after my BC. Sorry about the quality.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 4:58pm
i was stalking this thread for minute waiting for picsLOL nice job.

i like fuzzy twists to.  its what i refer to as "funky twists" because after 2 days they look like locs.

Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 7:26am
Me and my hair got into a fight! I tried to do a puff. Everything was going so well until...*note to self: don't mix Cream of Nature Conditioner with Ecostyler gel or the result will be tiny creepy white blobs*.

I had to rinse my hair out, at which point it lost all slip and shriveled down against my head. I must have gone through a half a bottle of Giovanni Direct Leave In in the past 24 hours. It's good stuff though. After detangling for the SECOND time and getting minor breakage this time (I washed my hair loose since it was an emergency) I secured the sections with clips. I'm letting it dry til it's damp and then I'll try this puff again. I'll post pics.

Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 6:17pm
My first Official Puff! I'm so proud!

Giovanni Leave In (all over), Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel and water(on perimeter to smooth down my hair), Hawaiian Silky Moisturizer and Sheen Spray, and Worlds of Curls Moisturizing Oil Sheen Spray (on puff), 4Naturals Slick-It Pomade (on Edges)

Posted By: mstinycurls
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 7:46pm
Your puff is so nice and round!...Prettiful...Big smile

Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 10:44pm
ITA with ms. tc!
Congratz on the napps!
Your hair is loverly!

Date Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 7:03am
yeah that puff is cute.  to this day i havent figured out how yah keep those bans from sliding off your heads. i have to fake it with a regular old ponytail and then pat it around.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 11:03am
Thanks, guys! Tatee, I used a knee high. 

Yesterday was the first time someone came up and asked me about my natural hair. I still had it in that same puff with a flower pin. They said, "Does it hurt to comb it?" LoL. I explained that I detangle my hair in sections and braid or twist each section before I wash it so that after I'm done it's already detangled and I don't have to rip through it. That's actually helpful whether you're natural or relaxed. 

I'll probably wash and switch up my style later this week.

Date Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 11:11am
Oh yeah, in my refresher/moisturizer spray bottle, this time I put water, conditioner, and aloe vera juice. It makes my hair kinda crunchy, but not in a bad way. It has hold. It really made my hair curl up. It's not clumped because I like my puff to be picked out like a cloud, but my individual curls are really defined.

I use one of those mesh wraps with the velcro closure to keep my hair flat around my puff. It has been a life saver. It stays put and doesn't make me sweat like a regular  silk scarf. I leave it on then take it off before I go out. When I get frizz I just spray on my moisturizer and put the wrap on and voila! It's flat again.

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 6:10pm
beautiful it looks healthy and great growth.. Clap

Date Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 3:06pm
*sighs* My scalp is seriously pissing me off. It isn't responding to anything I do. So last night I prepooed with Shea Moisture's Purification Masque and cononut oil and put my whole head in medium/large twists. Just now I washed it with my normal Cream of Nature scalp calming (or whatever) shampoo with a good amount of tea tree oil mixed in. I washed my hair several times until it was squeaky clean. Then I applied pure Monistat 7 to my scalp and rubbed it in. I used the One 'n Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask for my deep condish. Now I'm under the dryer. I'm gonna let my hair condition for a good 30+ minutes then rinse and follow up with the Giovanni Direct Leave In since it worked so well for my hair last time. I'll probably do a puff again this week.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 3:12pm
I recently purchased Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey. I just started reading it a little while ago. I seriously want to give this method a go but my scalp gets so dirty and plaqued up that I don't think it would be right to wash my hair with conditioner only. So I'm trying to get my scalp issues under control before I try it.

But I also don't want it to be a situation where the harsh surfactants are contributing to my scalp issues. It's a catch 22. Disapprove I don't think I'm gonna use my castor oil/tea tree oil/Monistat mix on my scalp between washes anymore. I get the feeling it's suffocating my scalp. I think I'll only use it as a pre-shampoo treatment and see if I notice any improvement. I'll have to figure out another way to treat my scalp between washes.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 5:55pm
Well I'm done with detangling. My hair is sectioned off to dry partially. Then I'll make my puff.

I'm not happy with the amount of hair I lost (mostly shedding, I think) and the amount of effort needed to detangle. Last time I definitely used more leave-in. 'll have to keep that in mind for next time. I have a backup, so I had no reason to be stingy.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 2:19am
No silicones yet...*crosses fingers* So, I dumped out my moisturizing spray that had water, aloe vera juice, and my CoN conditioner (with silicones) that I was trying to run out. I'm officially silicone and sulfate free. I'm gonna give this thing a shot, at least for a week. Hopefully I can do it for a month so I can get a feel for the changes I see in my hair and scalp.

When my edges dried I still noticed flakes. *sigh* I'm gonna mix a scalp treatment and pit it in a squirt bottle. I'm gonna base it on Shea Moisture's black soap scalp spray with the black label. I'm gonna put bottled water, Monistat, aloe vera juice, tea tree oil, and any other scalp friendly goodies I can think of.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 2:23am

No silicones yet...*crosses fingers* So, I dumped out my moisturizing spray that had water, aloe vera juice, and my CoN conditioner (with silicones) that I was trying to run out. I'm officially silicone and sulfate free. I'm gonna give this thing a shot, at least for a week. Hopefully I can do it for a month so I can get a feel for the changes I see in my hair and scalp.

When my edges dried I still noticed flakes. *sigh* I'm gonna mix a scalp treatment and pit it in a squirt bottle. I'm gonna base it on Shea Moisture's black soap scalp spray with the black label. I'm gonna put bottled water, Monistat, aloe vera juice, tea tree oil, and any other scalp friendly goodies I can think of.

well i'm finally cutting my hair this friday.. I'm not excited anymoreOuch congrats on your new hair start.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 2:57am

well i'm finally cutting my hair this friday.. I'm not excited anymoreOuch congrats on your new hair start.

Start a hair journal. I need some inspiration.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2013 at 6:02pm
So I made my scalp treatment. I used about equal amounts of water and aloe vera juice, a good amount of tea tree oil, and quite a bit of Monistat. I put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften the Monistat and then I shook it until it was blended. The result was a liquid the exact color and consistency of milk. I applied it to my edges because I didn't want to mess up my puff. Embarrassed Then I used my velcro wrap to lay my edges back down.

There is a very noticeable tingle. I don't care if the mix is a bit strong because I need something strong.

ETA: I bit the bullet and applied it to my scalp throughout my hair. It's so light, and yet so strong. This is a much better choice than the castor oil blend. I think the heaviness of the castor oil was contributing to my buildup.

Date Posted: Apr 05 2013 at 3:45am
It might just be my imagination, but my hair just feels soooo soooooffffftttt...I've been moisturizing with plain water followed by a light coating of olive oil. My hair is surprisingly pliable and cooperative considering the lack of heavy product. I don't know if my hair is so soft because it's free of petrolatum, mineral oil, and silicones, or because I minimized the amount and number of products I used in general. Or it may just be because my hair is clean LoL. We'll see.

Date Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 6:44am
I just cowashed for the first time. OMG, I know never to do that again. Next time I will at least twist my hair in about eight sections before the wash and don't take them loose til after. I experienced some snapping. I used Tressemme Naturals, the one with Aloe and Avocado. People say it's great, but I feel it could have had better slip. I also used olive oil and that's it. No gel. I feel like I had to work harder to get my hair clean, so that makes me feel like it's not really clean. The first time I still had flakes, plus the conditioner was reacting with the gel I used last time to form that weird white stuff. So that let me know the gel was still in my hair after the first cowash. I went ahead and rinsed my hair completely clean and then added more conditioner, instead of leaving some amount of conditioner on it throughout the entire wash. My hair was pretty much soaking wet, so I spent a lot of time picking my puff to make sure it won't shrink down to nothing once it's dry. When it's mostly dry then I will shape it.

I'm getting somewhat of a spot on my edges. I didn't notice it until I saw the pic. I think it's from the yarn braids...grrr...no more braids for me for a while.

Date Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 9:26pm

I just cowashed for the first time. OMG, I know never to do that again. Next time I will at least twist my hair in about eight sections before the wash and don't take them loose til after. I experienced some snapping. I used Tressemme Naturals, the one with Aloe and Avocado. People say it's great, but I feel it could have had better slip. I also used olive oil and that's it. No gel. I feel like I had to work harder to get my hair clean, so that makes me feel like it's not really clean. The first time I still had flakes, plus the conditioner was reacting with the gel I used last time to form that weird white stuff. So that let me know the gel was still in my hair after the first cowash. I went ahead and rinsed my hair completely clean and then added more conditioner, instead of leaving some amount of conditioner on it throughout the entire wash. My hair was pretty much soaking wet, so I spent a lot of time picking my puff to make sure it won't shrink down to nothing once it's dry. When it's mostly dry then I will shape it.

I'm getting somewhat of a spot on my edges. I didn't notice it until I saw the pic. I think it's from the yarn braids...grrr...no more braids for me for a while.
Hey SweetNovember.
Have you tried looking into some other CG friendly condishes?
There's the Dove Pure Clean in the light green bottle.
I am not sure how much it costs, but I have tried it before.
It does feel like all the other cone-free conditioners do.
It's light, but I do think it has more slip than any of the Tresemme Natural condishes.
I wouldn't say it's comparable to any heavy condish, but I will compare it to those^
Might be a good idea to look into.
It shouldn't be anymore than $3 and some change, so if your hair doesn't like it, it's not too expensive.
But I really do think "our" (Being that it's kinky, fro-eySmile ...and deliciousLOL) hair type may like this one better than the Tresemme Nat.
Oh and you could always go into Walmart and try it out in your hands--I do this all the time just to get a feel of what any product may be like.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 1:23am
Thanks, AmberColour, I will def try that one when this one runs out. I already used 1/4 bottle in a single cowash so it shouldn't be too long.

I forgot to mention, after my cowash I saw some curl clumpage for the first time. I saw three squiggly curls in the middle of my head, but when I  stretched them between my fingers they frizzed and I couldn't clump them again. I thought it was really interesting because I'd never seen my hair clump before on it's own, without manipulation.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 1:45am
I should also mention that I read most of Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey. I hated it. All of the practical information in the book could have been condensed into a pamphlet. Most of the book is just filler and repetition and bad puns on curly hair. I learned more about the CG method from MahoganyCurl's videos than I did from the entire book. *sighs*

Anyway, last night I purchased Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong by Teri LaFlesh. I had been planning to buy her book because I love her website and the amount of effort she put into compiling all that information for free. I got a lot of info from the Black Hair Science website and their book is great. So I figured even if her book isn't that great or if it is basically a copy of her website it would still be a great show of support.  But as it turns out I actually really like the book so far. I'll update when I've finished the book.

Date Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 3:54am
My hair is definitely curling up more. Instead of random zig zag patterns I am getting individual spirals. Mind you my hair is still in a puffed state. But Instead of my puff being made up of zig zags there are more and more spirals. 

I also noticed some randomly clumped spirals in my puff today. I would go to finger my puff, and instead of a web of hair in some places I found defined, clumped spirals. It was only a few of them though.

I should mention my puff feels so soft and light as a feather. It's amazing. I did spray my hair with water as usual but this time after it sunk in I could really feel the difference. I can't even describe what it feels like. I would say cotton but it is much softer and lighter.

Date Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 6:16am
The Pure Clean conditioner is actually by Garnier Fructis. Sorry, idk why i wanted to believe it was by Dove.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 1:50am
I just successfully detangled and cowashed my hair--without a comb!!!! Party I'm so excited! First I divided my hair into six sections then I saturated one section with the Tresemme Naturals and kept parting it with my finger until it was somewhat seperated, then I proceeded to finger comb it gently until my fingers glided smoothly through the section. I repeated all over. I also scratched my scalp. I got into the shower and rinsed out each section while massaging my scalp, the replaced the clip I was using to hold each section. Now I will use Giovanni Direct Leave in then put my hair back in the clips to partially dry so I can make my puff.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 3:24am
Some texture shots. My hair is freshly cowashed. I rinsed out the conditioner as best I could but my hair isn't stripped. It is towel dried.

Front, which I think has some heat damage

The middle

The back

Date Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 3:33pm
I cowashed again last night. The only reason I did it was because my scalp was pissing me off. I added some salicylic acid to my scalp mix and applied a lot of it. It was burning too much and I got scared so I cowashed it out. I may use it again in the future for a pretreatment though. I used VO5 to cowash. I didn't like it. It didn't have as much slip as the Tresemme and it smelled like pure perfume. After my cowash  I used The Giovanni and I sealed with Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir. Next time I'm gonna switch up my products. I have to many damn products to keep using the same stuff.

Date Posted: Apr 16 2013 at 5:42pm
Man, it's only been three days? Tempted to cowash...must...resist...

Posted By: Swift
Date Posted: Apr 16 2013 at 8:06pm
Congrats!  And cowash as often as you like :)

About the various textures, that's normal.  Many of us have more than one texture on our heads.  A lot of us continued to have mini chops after the BC thinking that it was leftover relaxer. I said all of that to say - it may not be heat damage.  LoL

Oh, and my hair acts funny for about 1-2 weeks after I take out my extensions.  It goes back to normal after that.  Until then, I keep it in very low manipulation styles (natural twists or cornrows under wigs/headwraps) and I rinse/cowash it frequently.

Pretty hair!!  GL on your journey! :)

Date Posted: Apr 17 2013 at 3:19am
Thanks, Swift, and you know what? The same thing kinda happened to me. I was gonna get out the scissors to cut more at the front when I realized my hair wet hair was waving up all the way to the roots.  I couldn't see where to cut then I realized maybe it was just meant to be like that lol. It sorta bothers me because it makes my back look shorter than my front. Also I wanted to try comb coils/single strand twists and I'm not sure the front will hold them as readily as the back. I saw someone do them on Youtube and he was having that problem in the front. I wish my whole head was like the back. It's so compact and neat lol.

Date Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 5:32am
I just cowashed again because my hair felt hard and dry. I may go back to spritzing with a part aloe vera juice mix because I loved the way it made my hair shine. It gave my puff such a polished look but it did make my hair hard lol.

Anyway I deep conditioned with the Shea Moisture conditioner in the black bottle (the one for dry scalp) mixed with honey, olive oil, and coconut oil. It really made my curl pattern pop. I also sprayed my scalp with Taliah Waajid's Moisture Cleanz and massaged it in. I rinsed everything out but I don't feel like my scalp is clean. Next time I'll use an actual cleansing cowash.

I moisturized with Cantu Grow Strong and sealed with grapeseed oil. I finger detangled only, no comb.

I'm getting kinda weary of the CG method because there are so many dangone rules. The Moisture Clenz has isopropyl alcohol and the Cantu has castor oil, neither of which are CG friendly.  I wanna do the CG thing but I'm not about to let all my products go to waste. I haven't touched anything with cones or petroleum or mineral oil in it and that has limited me to about half my stash or less. It's frustrating. But I said I was gonna give this thing a shot for one month so I have to keep my word. Sigh...

Posted By: LadyAradia
Date Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 7:34pm

I cowashed again last night. The only reason I did it was because my scalp was pissing me off. I added some salicylic acid to my scalp mix and applied a lot of it. It was burning too much and I got scared so I cowashed it out. I may use it again in the future for a pretreatment though. I used VO5 to cowash. I didn't like it. It didn't have as much slip as the Tresemme and it smelled like pure perfume. After my cowash  I used The Giovanni and I sealed with Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir. Next time I'm gonna switch up my products. I have to many damn products to keep using the same stuff.
why salicylic acid ?

Date Posted: Apr 19 2013 at 1:20am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

why salicylic acid ?

It aids in skin shedding which is why it's in a lot of anti-dandruff and -acne medications.

Date Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 5:08pm
My first wash n go!

Date Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 5:33pm
My hair is doing that weird mullet thing where the back looks a lot shorter than the front. I think it's because my hair is a lot tighter back there. I don't like it. Also I think I would have had better definition if I hadn't been wearing a puff all this time. The hair in the middle of my head was much easier to define than the edges were.

I did wash my hair. My scalp felt so good, but my hair felt so stripped. I didn't even use a lot of shampoo plus I pre pooed. I pre pooed with Tresemme Naturals with added olive oil, coconut oil, and glycerin.  But before I pre pooed I applied the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo with added tee tree oil to my scalp and scratched my scalp. It was really easy to detangle. I rinsed everything out then just added a tiny bit of shampoo to each section to make sure everything was out. Man my hair felt so stripped. I wish I didn't have these issues with my scalp or I wouldn't have washed it. Next time I won't do the second wash. I'll just do my scalp along with a cowash for my strands and leave it at that. 

Anyways, for my wash n go I used the Giovanni Direct Leave In and Coconut Oil to moisturize, then Eco Styler Protein to define. I started from the back and worked my way up. It took a couple hours at least. For sheen I used The Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixer. Overall I'm happy with the look and I'm gonna do it again next week.

Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 9:01pm
^^^ your fro is so adorable!!

Date Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 9:47pm
That wng is too cute!!

Date Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 4:39am
Thanks, guys! Here are some more pics. I spared you my greasy forehead lol.

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 9:07am
Pretty healthy hair! Looking good keep up the good work!

Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Apr 25 2013 at 9:20am
such beautiful hair poarn Cry

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Apr 26 2013 at 12:58pm
Good looking WNG Star!Beer

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 12:42am
I just prepooed and washed my hair again! I did the same routine as last time except I skipped the second wash so my hair is not stripped at all. Also instead of the Shea Moisture shampoo I used Loreal EverCreme. Amazingly, the front of my head is the only area that had buildup/plaques. My scalp is kinda sore at the front from the scratching but oh well. I had to get the stuff out. I didn't live up to my goal of going strictly CG for a solid month. I'll try again in the future hopefully after I get my scalp situation under control. This is something I have been dealing with my entire life and I'm tired of it. I may have to get a prescription shampoo to manage it. But I'll keep trying my natural remedies for now. I'll also definitely keep non CG friendly products and methods to a bare minimum.

I want to try single strand twists/comb coils, minus the comb of course. I figure it will be just the same as the wash and go, except I'll part neatly and take bigger sections. If if works out I'll post pics. Wish me luck!

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:13am
You know dandruff is bacteria/ fungus related. Sounds like you might benefit from doing the miconizole sulfur challenge to get a healthier scalp and grow your locks in the process.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:51am
I just had to come back to say MY HAIR FEELs SO FREAKIN SOFT IT'S UNBELIEVABLE! 

I only let my hair drip dry and a squeezed a big section with a towel. No additional product.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 1:53am
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

You know dandruff is bacteria/ fungus related. Sounds like you might benefit from doing the miconizole sulfur challenge to get a healthier scalp and grow your locks in the process.

Thanks. I was worried about that. I had hoped maybe it was genetic (my dad has the same scalp issues). I have the Monistat 7. I still haven't picked up he sulfur but I will. I used the miconizole a few times but I didn't notice the difference. I will try it undiluted.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 2:20am

I want to try single strand twists/comb coils, minus the comb of course. I figure it will be just the same as the wash and go, except I'll part neatly and take bigger sections. If if works out I'll post pics. Wish me luck!

So I've run out of patience already. I was at it for about fifteen minutes and that was wrap. I'd rather pay someone to do them. Sleepy

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 10:23pm
I just had to mention, for the record, that the Cantu Shea Butter Creamy Hair Lotion has zero slip. I will not be using this again to detangle my wet hair. That is all.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 10:36pm
its going to take months not days  to notice a difference. But it will come.

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 1:30am
So I tried my ccurlformers. I ended up using a total of 66 of them. First of all it took all damn day to get them all in my hair. I actually had to stop and go to sleep and finish the next day. I used Jane Carter's Wrap and Roll. The curls came out well, but my plans were to comb it out and wrap my hair so I could wear it straight. When I tried to comb it my hair was hard and tangled at the ends. I tried to blow it out it on low for little while but I eventually gave up and washed it out and did a wash n go. The next time I set my hair I will use a creme with a soft hold and finish. 

Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 3:35pm
I redid my wash n go because it got smooshed at it looked dry and lacked definition. For that wash n go I used Tresemme Naturals as my leave in and Fantasia IC as my gel. They do mot mix well because I got the white clumps. 

Anyway, just now I used Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Curling Souffle. The Smoothie foamed up a lot. It's drying now. If I don't like how it turns out then tomorrow I'll gonna rinse it out and do it again using something else.

I should also mention that I made no attempt at going through my hair and defining my curls. I really don't have time for that. I'm trying to wash and GO. I can't wait till I find the product combination and method that allows me to do that.

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:40pm
A good combination is the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie followed by Hollywood Beauty Carrot oil. this is a great combination for twist outs and it melts your tangles.

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 2:42pm
Thanks, Vee. I have an old jar from a few years ago but it's probably no good. I remember really liking it. It made my hair really soft. I will def pick it up.

Date Posted: May 10 2013 at 2:52pm

So I tried my ccurlformers. I ended up using a total of 66 of them. First of all it took all damn day to get them all in my hair. I actually had to stop and go to sleep and finish the next day. I used Jane Carter's Wrap and Roll. The curls came out well, but my plans were to comb it out and wrap my hair so I could wear it straight. When I tried to comb it my hair was hard and tangled at the ends. I tried to blow it out it on low for little while but I eventually gave up and washed it out and did a wash n go. The next time I set my hair I will use a creme with a soft hold and finish. 

I am not familiar with that product but it sounds like a stiff hard set. I never use any firm hold in my hair at all. I HATE products that make the hair hard and stiff because they break easier that way. I like to keep my hair lubricated, especially if you want it straight.. I always use light soft  products. You would need a LOT of OIL in the hair for that along with a soft set like maybe a small amount of flaxseed gel and a lot of oil. You can get a portable hooded dryer for about $40 one ebay.com or amazon.com. that would be IDEAL for both drying the hair with the curlformers AND for when you wrap it afterward and cover your wrap with ceranwrap plastic to sit under the hot dryer for the "SILKWRAP" step 2 that you mentioned. The hair must be TOTALLY DRY before you take off the curlformers or you are wasting your time...it will simply revert as it dries. Also you can not use anything with glycerine with a set... just oil and something like flaxseed gel or a small amount of lottabody.

After you slip the curlformers off, put a LOT OF OIL on your hands and finger loosen each curl with a lot of oil... then also put on oil before you brush it into a wrap and cover tightly with ceran wrap plastic and go under the dryer.

Date Posted: May 31 2013 at 1:59am
Hi everyone, it's been a while. I had a half wig for two weeks that I took out a couple days ago. I used this kinky curly hair that looks a lot like a twist out. I don't have any pics of it dry but later I will post some wet pics of it. 

Because my hair had been under the cap for two weeks I washed it vigorously with the pink Shea Moisture shampoo, will the braids were still in. I used Tresemme Naturals conditioner and Giovanni leave in. My hair was really easy to detangle at first but when I went back to remove the shed hair there was A LOT. I'm not sure what to think. I may do another weave in another month.

I tried Shea Moisture Curling Souffle but it was super sticky so I rinsed it out. I also tried Jane Carter Curl Defining Dream and rinsed that out too. I'm started to get wary of trying new things. I know I'm not buying the Jane Carter again because I feel the Tresemme Naturals does the same thing only better for a lot cheaper. I'm halfway through the tub of Jane Carter and I'm never left it in. I've rinsed it out all three times. 

I ended up putting my hair in a puff. Sleepy I may cowash again in a couple days and stretch my hair with chucky twists and wear a stretched fro with a headband or something like that. I'm ultra bored with this puff. Disapprove

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 9:31am

Hi everyone, it's been a while. I had a half wig for two weeks that I took out a couple days ago. I used this kinky curly hair that looks a lot like a twist out. I don't have any pics of it dry but later I will post some wet pics of it. 

Because my hair had been under the cap for two weeks I washed it vigorously with the pink Shea Moisture shampoo, will the braids were still in. I used Tresemme Naturals conditioner and Giovanni leave in. My hair was really easy to detangle at first but when I went back to remove the shed hair there was A LOT. I'm not sure what to think. I may do another weave in another month.

I tried Shea Moisture Curling Souffle but it was super sticky so I rinsed it out. I also tried Jane Carter Curl Defining Dream and rinsed that out too. I'm started to get wary of trying new things. I know I'm not buying the Jane Carter again because I feel the Tresemme Naturals does the same thing only better for a lot cheaper. I'm halfway through the tub of Jane Carter and I'm never left it in. I've rinsed it out all three times. 

I ended up putting my hair in a puff. Sleepy I may cowash again in a couple days and stretch my hair with chucky twists and wear a stretched fro with a headband or something like that. I'm ultra bored with this puff. Disapprove
Its funny you mentioned this because my hair does not react to certain products either. I purchased Cantu Shea Butter curling creme and my hair was likeErmm. I haven't used it since and I'm mad that I wasted money.
Right now I only use Nunaat combing cream daily with some olive oil and water in a spray bottle. Once a week I'll ditch the combing cream for some elasta qp mago butter. I really refuse to buy a sh!tload of products now.
Oddly enough I can have an awesome twist-out with no product at allConfused

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Jun 05 2013 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

A good combination is the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie followed by Hollywood Beauty Carrot oil. this is a great combination for twist outs and it melts your tangles.

I use the shea moisture souffle and it is AWESOME!  Followed with Eco gel which I adore.  My wash n gos have never looked this good.  The trick for me is to allow it to try and then separate my hair into sections and stretch it by banding.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 1:52am
Blaque I'g give the Elasta QP Mango Butter a thumbs up. I washed my hair and used the Elasta QP as a leave in. I used it when my hair was really wet so I wouldn't use too much. I ended up having to add more for detangling purposes but I was happy with it. Right now I have my hair stretched with twists. I like the much fuller fro look I get when I take them a loose. 

Date Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:03pm
I had a really cute hairstyle that I meant to take a pic of but I forgot. I basically flat twisted the front of my hair in three rows going sideways. The look was based on the "hair band" air style where you cornrow the front of your hair like a head band. In the back I did a twist out. I'll do the style again soon because it was so easy and low maintenance and next time I'll take pics.

I just detangled/prepooed using Shea Moisture's Purification Masque. Before I applied it my hair was balled up like a fist. This stuff is sooooooo amazing....It makes my hair so soft and fluffy and slippery. Detangling was so quick and pain free. A far cry from the debacle I had last week when I ended up with a huge puff of shed hair. I am over this product experimentation thing. I know I didn't have to lose all of that hair last week or end the night with a headache. I'm trying to keep my hair on my head so I'm gonna use what I know works for me. 

Date Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 7:37am
Just passing through to drop some pics!

My wet half wig after defining the curls. I used a twist out to blend the front. I'm really not sure why there's a white rectangle on my shoulder...

My puff right after a cowash. I left some Tresemme Naturals in.

My fro after detangling and prepooing with Queen Helene Cholesterol. I liked it.

My wash n go. At first it was hanging down more but I didn't like it because it looked like a jheri curl so I fluffed it out. I used Kinky-Curly products.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2013 at 5:39am
I just cowashed my hair. Instead of sectioning it off and detangling beforehand, I just wet my whole head and finger combed under the running water. Then I added more conditioner and divided and clipped my hair into my usual eight sections. Then I went through each section and detangled and scratched my scalp then rinsed, bantu knotted and clipped again. I think I lost a lot less hair than usual because my dripping wet hair had more slip. This method was a lot quicker also.

Right now I just have my product free hair still clipped up. I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it next so I don't know which products I'll use. I'm thinking a full twist out with a few flat twists on one side or something like that. I'll decide by this afternoon.

Date Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 3:18am
OMGGGGG I have a bald spot!!!!!!

I am so mad at myself. At first I couldn't figure out how I could have gotten it. Now I know it is from that half wig I had a couple weeks ago. I sewed a base braid behind my hairline and sewed the cap onto that. I didn't feel that I braided tightly but after a couple hours it was hurting soooo bad. I should have known something was wrong then. And I also knew after taking it out that I had super shedding in that area. I only noticed the bald spot today because I did some flat twists in the front of my head. The spot is small but it is SHINY bald Cry and it looks kind of sore. I put castor oil on it already. I was wondering how a bald spot could be in the form of a straight line but now I know it was following the shape of the base braid. I took pics already; I will post them later because I am tired right now. I am so disappointed in myself. No more weave for me for like six months or until it's completely grown in, whichever is later. I just never thought something like this could happen to me!

Date Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 7:50am

OMGGGGG I have a bald spot!!!!!!

I am so mad at myself. At first I couldn't figure out how I could have gotten it. Now I know it is from that half wig I had a couple weeks ago. I sewed a base braid behind my hairline and sewed the cap onto that. I didn't feel that I braided tightly but after a couple hours it was hurting soooo bad. I should have known something was wrong then. And I also knew after taking it out that I had super shedding in that area. I only noticed the bald spot today because I did some flat twists in the front of my head. The spot is small but it is SHINY bald Cry and it looks kind of sore. I put castor oil on it already. I was wondering how a bald spot could be in the form of a straight line but now I know it was following the shape of the base braid. I took pics already; I will post them later because I am tired right now. I am so disappointed in myself. No more weave for me for like six months or until it's completely grown in, whichever is later. I just never thought something like this could happen to me!
I have to treat my hair like it is super fragile and the most priceless, delicate silk. That of course means NO SEWING on it. I even only wore my u part wig once because I could see the combs inside it tore a few strands of my hair from the top of my head within just a few hours of wearing the wig!

An old friend of mine who had grown bsl told me yesterday she similarly lost ALL her hair and now only has a twa. She went to a salon to have her hair cornrowed down to wear under wigs. Anyways, instead of cornrows, they sewed her hair down in tiny twists with thread and tiny knots. So when she tried to remove the thread and knots 3 months later, all her length was dredlock and ALL had to be cut off down to the newgrowth!!!

So NOTHING GETS SEWED on my head. NOTHING GETS GLUED on my head, NO braids are pulled tight.  I find you can tend to get less shedding if you keep it flat ironed so its straight too if you are in the 4 natural range and treat it delicately.  Just wrap it at night and oil it everyday. But only flat iron a couple times a month and wrap or roll and oil every night in between. If it's relaxed, NO HEAT either. Just rollersets and wraps, oiling everyday for relaxed hair.

For me a hair jouney now means NO glue, NO thread, keeping it smooth/stretched and lubricated with oil constantly for less shedding. Comb it VERY SLOWLY to delicately EASE OUT any tangles as if my life depends on not losing a  strand. Good luck with learning to treat your hair as if it is the most priceless and most fragile silk on the planet lady!

Print Page | Close Window