Forum Name: Curls
Forum Description: Discussions on Curls
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353176
Printed Date: Sep 23 2018 at 7:15am

Topic: 3a/b/c curls on 4c hair?
Posted By: RubyJewelStone
Subject: 3a/b/c curls on 4c hair?
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:22pm
Is there any direct info about getting a loose 3a/3b-like texture on 4c hair?

I've been googling for a couple hours now, and I only seem to find people preaching at posters and telling them that they HAVE to accept their 4c hair as is.

Anyways, I'm a bit past shoulder length and currently natural. I was hoping for something that would make my hair fairly low-maintenance yet have the desired curl pattern. 

Bantu knots and twist-outs have just not been cutting it for me. I always seem deal with a lot of humidity and rain. In those conditions Bantu knots and Braid/Twist outs never stuck around very long in my hair whether it was relaxed or natural (with the exception of the time living in Brazil when I accidentally got a BKT when I thought I was getting a touch-up LOL)

Anyways, I want some curls like the pic below. Is that possible on 4c? (I'm willing to use chemicals.)

Also, can it hold up when exposed to water and humidity? 

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 10:29am
Since you are willing to use chemicals then I would suggest finding a stylist who does good curly perms. Take that picture with you as a point of reference. The biggest challenge will be finding a reputable stylist who is experience in doing curly perms today.

You can also get a similar look from a straw set on your hair or play around with different style rods to get the desired curl pattern. If humidity is a big issue there are lots of products on the market which help to block the humidity. Even then a roller set will only last 3 days to 2 weeks on average.

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 1:14pm
oh Veemack..

didn't you post several times stating that there is NO SUCH THING AS 4C HAIR?

now, you're giving advice to someone on how to style 4C HAIR..

wow...

Stern Smile

-------------
I've always said: If you have to wear a uniform to work? it's usually a sh*&tty job.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 7:14pm
Google NuNaat Keratin Straightening system or something like that.  They sell the kit at select Walgreens.  I have one in my possession but haven't tried it yet.  I haven't found the time to try it out.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

oh Veemack..

didn't you post several times stating that there is NO SUCH THING AS 4C HAIR?

now, you're giving advice to someone on how to style 4C HAIR..

wow...

Stern Smile

-------------

Posted By: Alex Urameshi
Date Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 7:49pm
Um... A curly perm maybe. Other than that... Pretty much nothing will give you that look unless you got a weave.

-------------

Posted By: darlinnic
Date Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 2:14pm
A flexi rod set ..,
I've seen some 4C girls get great curls from that

And femme .., LMAO..

Posted By: Brilaw
Date Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 9:11pm
I agree w Alex U. - a weave would give you that look. 
Getting a curly perm is risky - you might not like the end results. 
But curling your hair with perm rods could give you the curls you're looking for.. try something like this using smaller rods.

-------------
B.B

Posted By: jadorenaturality92
Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 12:07pm
I would say do crochet braids and choose a loose patterned hair type. You'll be able to keep it for a while and it is easy maintenance.

Posted By: Daubzy90
Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 2:36pm
Hey Guys,

Please support my natural hair journey by watching my youtube video. Sub if you have YT and I will sub back. 

Thank you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyr8ge3LIU

Posted By: lovebeautyhair
Date Posted: Dec 14 2013 at 9:41pm

beautiful

Posted By: Petiteagneau
Date Posted: Jan 02 2014 at 3:33pm
While I understand where you are coming from, having 4b hair myself, it is extremely disappointing you are not accepting your hair for its natural state. That's a longer discussion however. The only thing I have found to loosen my texture has been the flat iron. I have tried the Brazilian keratin system, and while it made my hair easier to straighten eventually, my hair kept the same tight curl pattern and felt weaker and thin in two sections. The only loosening was toward my heat damaged crown and bangs, which only made styling difficult. Flat ironing my hair on 400-425 F and leaving my it for a week (no touchups) has loosened my curl all around but products do not soak in as before, it feels drier, and again styling is difficult.

before: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ta1iaAA-uLY/UsVWOrvIuSI/AAAAAAAAAIU/SNhLi2DqqKI/s1600/DSCN4345.JPG
after: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ijKPq_c_usE/UsTM-saea3I/AAAAAAAAAD0/iKu-QEV4A44/s1600/DSCN3925.JPG

I love the look of 3a-3c hair myself. It is beautiful. However, the media does not show 4b hair in positive lights. It will be easier to accept your 4b hair (for optimal health), just straighten it mechanically (flat iron, not relax) and use flexi rods or some other means to make ringlets you desire. Wet twist outs with a lot of condition can also achieve what you're looking for. Otherwise good luck girl!

I discuss my difficulties accepting my hair here if your interested: http://goddesshair.blogspot.com/2013/06/when-scab-hair-is-your-real-texture.html

Posted By: jadorenaturality92
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:56am
So I've been on this finger detangling journey for 6 months now and my curls / coils are poppin and nice. 4c hair has a curl pattern contrary to what we've all been told. Through finger detangling I've been able to cut down my styling time because I simply wear twist outs when my hair is down. When I wash my hair I detangle which is time consuming at first but gets easier and fast as your curls clump and define. Then I put my hair in 12-16 twist then I wash, condish, dc if need be, and place all my products in my hair after with the twist still in. This insures that my hair stays detangled. Then I let it dry and when I take the twist down my curls /coils are stretched and basically styled. They now look like this...

Check out the video of what they looked like the first time I detangled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_le2B3IUX1o - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_le2B3IUX1o

I'll share the video of my most resent twist out once I edit it a little later.

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:20pm
Look into an AROSCI treatment; it can be moderately expensive ($150 a treatment every 4 months since it wears off after a while and only available at salons) but it creates large, butter-soft and bouncy 3C curls, while maintaining hair's strength. The application process is similar to a BKT (using a flatiron to seal in the treatment, then washing out the treatment). I'm on my second treatment and my hair is reacting very well to it.

P.S. The curls remain after water exposure, the curls are formed during my weekly cowashes (my hair is flatironed most weeks).

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 8:12pm
Wouldn't a texturizer create that look?

Print Page | Close Window