Print Page | Close Window

do Black parents kick their kids out at 18?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353125
Printed Date: Dec 14 2018 at 8:38am


Topic: do Black parents kick their kids out at 18?
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: do Black parents kick their kids out at 18?
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:02pm
Sidenote this did not happen to me ~ in fact I have been thinking about moving Back home for a little while and I am in my 30's...... Embarrassed sounds crazy but I am tired of wasting money on RENT
I just dont see a parent saying- "happy 18th Bday" get out? Never heard of this till i startd watching ABCfamily



Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:03pm
I've never heard of it either...
But ppl swear AA's kick their kids out at 18.

Have not seen it

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: Anah
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:04pm
On both sides of my fam females dont typically move out til they get married or have a child whichever comes firstLOL
We are Black of the Caribbean/Latin persuasion


-------------
#CHOGH


Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:04pm
I hear this is the case for Black Americans (not so much other cultures). But my mom.. or none of my friends parents have kicked them out. 

-------------
https://40.media.tumblr.com/5ba9e0be75128d9fefb41178032b37f9/tumblr_nm5ltoJrGx1skqlxjo1_540.jpg


Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:06pm
I've never seen that happen. We weren't kicked out. My brothers left on their own. We're always welcome to come back as long as we're "doing what we're supposed to" (i.e., going to school or working).
I can imagine that kids who aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing would be put out at 18, though.


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:06pm
i have heard of AA's doing this and have known this to happen
or rather when you turn 18 you gotta pay Bills




-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:07pm
wow, i thought the opposite...black folk be stayin with their parents til they die.


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:07pm
Never seen it happen although seems like Americans in general, not just black people, look down on those who still live with their parents past a certain age. Atleast compared to other countries where families encourage the kids to stay at home with mom and pops as long as possible.


Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:08pm
I've never heard of/seen this.

-------------


PEACE


Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:08pm
I haven't seen it happen to anyone and it didn't happen to me.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:08pm
Yeah it is considered a good thing when you can handle your own and move out,
Americans in general like being kinda independent whatever that means.

But I've never seen anyone out on their ass.

If anything I've seen the babying of men

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:10pm
Intresting? mixed views


Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:11pm
not in real life. just on the comedy channel

-------------


Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by tasty0619 tasty0619 wrote:

I haven't seen it happen to anyone and it didn't happen to me.


-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X


Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:12pm
Not for the black female we stay until we die LOL


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

wow, i thought the opposite...black folk be stayin with their parents til they die.
DeadLOL

But no. The people I know all stayed at home after 18. Some for a few months until they found a good job or SO to pay the bills.

...Or stayed at home to finish school with less debt.
<-----


-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR



Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:16pm
Never seen it happen. My sister is 33 and she's still here lol




-------------
yo


Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Never seen it happen. My sister is 33 and she's still here lol


I don't see how she can do it! If I had to stay at home at that age I think I would go on a killing spree!


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

Never seen it happen. My sister is 33 and she's still here lol


I don't see how she can do it! If I had to stay at home at that age I think I would go on a killing spree!

Right!? I can only imagine how aggravating my mama would be if I still lived with her at 33.


Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:25pm
I've seen it happen
And if you are in my house past 18 u need a reason

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

wow, i thought the opposite...black folk be stayin with their parents til they die.
DeadLOL

But no. The people I know all stayed at home after 18. Some for a few months until they found a good job or SO to pay the bills.

...Or stayed at home to finish school with less debt.
<-----

i left at 18 and temporarily at 17....my mom lives in the house she was born in...my grandparents died and she moved into their bedroom.  she got a free house out the deal.Confused  couldn't be me though.


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Yeah it is considered a good thing when you can handle your own and move out,
Americans in general like being kinda independent whatever that means.

But I've never seen anyone out on their ass.

If anything I've seen the babying of men

but u live in magic negro land jooooooooooooooooones


-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:31pm
Well she is moving out soon with her boyfriend but she has been here too long. I feel like I been here too long and I'm 23 lol 

-------------
yo


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:


Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Yeah it is considered a good thing when you can handle your own and move out,
Americans in general like being kinda independent whatever that means.

But I've never seen anyone out on their ass.

If anything I've seen the babying of men


but u live in magic negro land jooooooooooooooooones


get your drunk ass out here !!

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

I've seen it happen
And if you are in my house past 18 u need a reason

This. You better be either working and helping pay for some type of bill and/or going to school to better yourself. Preferably the latter of the two. It irks me to see people still at home with their parents and not helping out in any kind of way and sitting on their ass all day. Some parents don't seem to mind taking care of their grown ass kids though SMH


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:


Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Yeah it is considered a good thing when you can handle your own and move out,
Americans in general like being kinda independent whatever that means.

But I've never seen anyone out on their ass.

If anything I've seen the babying of men


but u live in magic negro land jooooooooooooooooones


get your drunk ass out here !!

LOL


-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:39pm
Clown

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

wow, i thought the opposite...black folk be stayin with their parents til they die.
DeadLOL

But no. The people I know all stayed at home after 18. Some for a few months until they found a good job or SO to pay the bills.

...Or stayed at home to finish school with less debt.
<-----

i left at 18 and temporarily at 17....my mom lives in the house she was born in...my grandparents died and she moved into their bedroom.  she got a free house out the deal.Confused  couldn't be me though.
...how nice is the house?GeekLOL

I am already plotting on moving out. I need my independence...and debt lol.


-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR



Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 12:01am
Not my mother. I moved out laaaate.

-------------
Domin


Posted By: gabi03
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 12:42am
Originally posted by Lhdc2011 Lhdc2011 wrote:

Not my mother. I moved out laaaate.


Same here, we were allowed to stay as long as we were in.college and or working, and we had household duties. I only left because my mom made me leave at 27 cause I sure would still be there.


Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 1:06am
Even though I live in an apartment close to school, I still pretty much live at home. The only reason I left is because I have virtually no privacy here (Im currently posting from home). 

ETA: we are AAs


-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul




Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 1:45am
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

I've seen it happen
And if you are in my house past 18 u need a reason
 
 
this.  school don't count. 


-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 1:49am
Have those grown men who don't so sh*t but smoke , buy jays , and watch PICS in their moms basements been mentioned yet?

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)


Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 2:45am
nope, AA kids stay fo'evaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
eatin up the food, usin up the toilet paper...uh huh
I do want my own place, hopefully next spring


-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]


Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 4:50am
I know two cases of sons being kicked out 14 years old. Both cases were because the new boyfriend/husband just didn't like the son being around. In other family the daughter was kicked out at 17 with her child because the mom was made her daughter had a child and dropped out of school. But most families I know you can stay as long as you want. No rent or job needed just live off your mom (hardly anybody had a dad in the same house in my community) for the rest of your life. 


-------------


Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 4:52am
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

Have those grown men who don't so sh*t but smoke , buy jays , and watch PICS in their moms basements been mentioned yet?

I have two cousins like this. I went to the US to visit 4 years ago and was just digested. My husband kept asking why are they like that, what do they do to help my aunt, why don't they look anything alike. After a while my sister just bust in the from the back they don't do sh*t because they are weedheads and they don't look alike because my aunt *&%^$#@Eed around a lot. Such a ghetto ass family.


-------------


Posted By: Dapheny
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 5:49am
Not sure but in Haitian households, you are allowed to stay however long you want lol
I mean while you have a husband, kids and a dog haha.


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

I know two cases of sons being kicked out 14 years old. Both cases were because the new boyfriend/husband just didn't like the son being around. In other family the daughter was kicked out at 17 with her child because the mom was made her daughter had a child and dropped out of school. But most families I know you can stay as long as you want. No rent or job needed just live off your mom (hardly anybody had a dad in the same house in my community) for the rest of your life. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid


-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 6:28am
I've seen it happen. I've even heard many parents say they can't wait until their child/ren turn 18 so they can get out. I've mostly seen this with mothers who had their children young and usually a fatherless home.


Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 6:39am
My parents just made me move back. 

-------------


Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

Clown
 
jr.


-------------


Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 7:58am
Not in my mother's house, even though I left at 18 (by choice) to join the military.


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 8:27am
i think this has everything to do with culture. We don't kick our kids out at 18. They are still considered kids. 

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

Have those grown men who don't so sh*t but smoke , buy jays , and watch PICS in their moms basements been mentioned yet?
LOLLOLLOLand yeezy's.

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 8:32am
It is culture. When I left home at 18, my mom cried. My sister still lives at home at 25, and my mother loves her being there. I think in African culture, they expect women to stay at home until they get married, even if they have a job (which my sister does).


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 8:33am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

It is culture. When I left home at 18, my mom cried. My sister still lives at home at 25, and my mother loves her being there. I think in African culture, they expect women to stay at home until they get married, even if they have a job (which my sister does).
Right.

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 8:37am
Black parents only threaten to kick their kids out.
They never do it. 


-------------


Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 8:56am
just turned 22 and im still here  Stern SmileApprove

-------------
#TeamTN
#CHOGH



Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Black parents only threaten to kick their kids out.
They never do it. 


IA^^^



-------------


Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Black parents only threaten to kick their kids out.
They never do it. 


i got kicked out b4 ....now im back Ouch


-------------


Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:23am
What did you do to get kicked out?

-------------


Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

I've seen it happen
And if you are in my house past 18 u need a reason
 
 
this.  school don't count. 
 
damn lol
you wouldnt let your kid stay if they were in school?
 
my brothers had it made.
both full ride scholarships, stayed at home and graduated with no debt
that's the best gift a parent can give you lol
 
the only thing my mom made them do was keep the yard together and pay the cable bill.
 


-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:29am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I've never heard of it either...
But ppl swear AA's kick their kids out at 18.

Have not seen it
I see it all the time, especially with girls.


-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:32am
Hmmm can't think of anyone where I'm from or ppl I'm close with where I moved to that have been kicked out.

I'm the only one of my friends that live on their own besides my ex roomie.
From male to female.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:36am
the aa's i know whose parents kicked em out are ghetto. they well off ones usually are able stay at home til they're ready to leave.
 
jr.


-------------


Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:41am
Only if they can't abide by the rules of the house.

-------------
Life is good!


Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:43am
when i was young me and my mama had beef
17 yrs old got kicked out on the streets


Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:46am
matta fact, im about to be a super Brotha and cop an M3 whilst living at home. i wish my parents would say someting, too
 
jr.


-------------


Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

What did you do to get kicked out?


pure foolishness i became a threat and was disrespectful ...thats what they say


-------------


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:58am
Originally posted by el_bandido el_bandido wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Black parents only threaten to kick their kids out.
They never do it. 


i got kicked out b4 ....now im back Ouch

Did you have womenzzz in the house while mama was at work?? That's the only thing I could think of that would get young boys kicked out. Unless you tried to flex on your mama and she didn't wanna split your head open so she gently asked you to vacate.


-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!


Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:59am
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

I've never heard of/seen this.


-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy


dacoldesteva


Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 9:59am
I moved when I got married and my mom and pop were almost in tears.... African parents just like Indian parents want the whole family to live together forever like a utopia. 

-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!


Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:01am
oh wait.  i take that back.  my ex hubbies mother lost her mind for a split second when she got with the embezzler.  smh.

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy


dacoldesteva


Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:06am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by el_bandido el_bandido wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Black parents only threaten to kick their kids out.
They never do it. 


i got kicked out b4 ....now im back Ouch

Did you have womenzzz in the house while mama was at work?? That's the only thing I could think of that would get young boys kicked out. Unless you tried to flex on your mama and she didn't wanna split your head open so she gently asked you to vacate.


nah got into it with my dad a couple times 


-------------


Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:09am
Mine didn't.. However, they really didn't have to though..
They still trying to get me to come back down to they area, which I refuse.


Posted By: Over_all
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 10:58am
My mom always says i can come back but she's crazy.. Living with her is like walking on egg shells. You never know what going to set her off.. Plus she's horrible with money.. She likes to let things go off b4 paying them.. I left the house at 17 and joined the military.. There was nothing there for me.. In fact all my bros left the house before 18..


Posted By: Over_all
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

Originally posted by Over_all Over_all wrote:

My mom always says i can come back but she's crazy.. Living with her is like walking on egg shells. You never know what going to set her off.. Plus she's horrible with money.. She likes to let things go off b4 paying them.. I left the house at 17 and joined the military.. There was nothing there for me.. In fact all my bros left the house before 18..


damn nicca do we have the same mama?
Either that or they are twins that were split at birth lmaoLOL


Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 12:09pm
No- as long as I was going to school and/or working. It was the same for all of my friends.

-------------
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.


Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by iGotSunshine iGotSunshine wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

I've seen it happen
And if you are in my house past 18 u need a reason
 
 
this.  school don't count. 
 
damn lol
you wouldnt let your kid stay if they were in school?
 
my brothers had it made.
both full ride scholarships, stayed at home and graduated with no debt
that's the best gift a parent can give you lol
 
the only thing my mom made them do was keep the yard together and pay the cable bill.
 
 
 
I would but what I was saying that in my fams and from what i've seen in some fams is that you can stay....going to school and errything but u better have a job too to pay rent and buy your own food and personal items.  
 
I had a family member get engaged and move across the country with some ragged ninja because her mom made it impossible for her.  Would jack her for half her meager check for rent (and she had to purchase her own personal items and food) and would constantly be on her talmbout so when u moving out?
 
I know it's not like that with all AA fams but...in some fams...they don't kick u out per se but they make it so u don't want to stay.  They not tryna give u a leg up.
 
IA...that is the best give a parent can give u but some are not tryna help you like that.


-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.


Posted By: jayjaynonie
Date Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 5:49pm
Nope I wasn't and I don't know of any who were kicked out either. If anything they chose when to get out... 



Print Page | Close Window