Print Page | Close Window

Can Kansas make a sperm donor pay child support?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=353018
Printed Date: Dec 16 2018 at 11:42pm

Topic: Can Kansas make a sperm donor pay child support?
Posted By: zolloh
Subject: Can Kansas make a sperm donor pay child support?
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:04am
Cliff notes for skimmers:

- Dude responds to a Craigslist ad placed by a lesbian couple for a sperm donor Stern Smile
- He gives them 3 cups of his essence
- The couple and donor sign a private contract (not drawn by lawyers/court) that he gives up his right to the future child and has no responsibility
- Insemination is not done by a doctor Sleepy
- Couple have daughter
- Couple breaks up after having the baby
- The mother gets sick, has financial problems and files for and receives welfare
- State of Kansas hunts down the sperm donor, not the mother's ex, for child support
- Gay marriage is not legal in Kansas

(CNN) -- If you're planning to donate sperm in Kansas, you may want to do it through a doctor.That's one message from the case of William Marotta of Topeka. In 2009, he noticed a Craig's List advertisement from a lesbian couple, also in Topeka, seeking donated sperm."Intrigued" by the ad, he agreed to donate and says he delivered three cupfuls of his sperm -- gratis -- to the women, one of whom gave birth to a daughter."I donated genetic material, and that was it for me," he told CNN affiliate  http://www.wibw.com/" rel="nofollow - WIBW .

Or so he thought. That changed when the parents separated and one of the women stopped working because of illness and applied to the state for help, he said. The state contacted Marotta for child support.

Kansas officials were not persuaded by what Marotta says were agreements he signed before making his donations that he would assume no financial responsibility for the child, who is now 3 years old.

The Kansas Department for Children and Families said any agreement would not apply because a physician did not perform the insemination, which Marotta said was news to him.

"I didn't know that there was no doctor involved," Marotta said Friday.His lawyer, Ben Swinnen, accused the state, where same-sex marriage is not legal, of being politically motivated in its pursuit of $6,000 from his client.
"The cost to the state to bring this case far outweighs any benefit the state would get," he said. Marotta said he met the child once -- a few months ago -- when he and his wife by chance crossed paths with one of the girl's parents at an area carnival. He said he had no intention of assuming a paternal role if he loses the case. "I'm not her parent," he said.

But under Kansas law, he is her father. Had a physician carried out the insemination, that would not be the case, because Marotta would be able to document that he was a sperm donor and not the lover of the girl's mother, said CNN Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen.

"For all they know, they were lovers," she said. "They need that documentation. He's the dad; he ought to be paying up."

Though a physician would have tested the sperm for sexually transmitted diseases and certain genetic disorders, there are disincentives associated with going through a physician.

A single attempt at artificial insemination costs about $3,000, and sometimes several tries are needed. "It's a lot cheaper to get someone to come on over with their donation, and then do it yourself at home," Cohen said.

Meanwhile, Marotta owes legal fees and has taken his story to the news media. "If enough noise gets made about it, at this point, maybe things will change for the better," he said. Asked whether, knowing what he now knows, he would answer the advertisement again, Marotta said, "Probably not."

Replies:
Posted By: dee1672
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:11am
I saw this on the news. He knew Craigslist was not the normal channel for donating sperm. I think all parties involved were trying to be slick. They probably wanted to avoid legal and medical fees and he probably thought ht would be 'cool' to give a baby to two lesbians and/or be able to say he donated sperm. He might as well pay up. I wonder how old they are.

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:18am
Lol that's F'd up.

That lady is stupid tho. She should have told them she didn't know who her baby daddy was or how to get in touch with any of them

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:19am
i think the ex-girlfriend aint sh*t.  you agreed to bring a child into the world and then when you stop loving the mother you screw over the kid.  go after the other woman and not a man who signed away his paternal rights and had no intention on ever being a father or supporting this kid.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:30am
It's an interesting case. Since the gay marriage is not legal there, they cant go after the ex for cs

Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:34am
This is one reason why I don't believe in sperm donation. He has a kid out there that he doesn't give a f*ck about. That's twisted.

-------------
I mean damn can my p**** be tight?

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:41am
that's a damn shame.  I don't fault him but he should have done it right to protect himself.  It might have cost more to go thru the legal channels but now he gone have to break alot of bread for a child he himself never wanted.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:45am
All parties involved are dumb as fck imo. Should've done it the right way instead of through craigslist then he probably wouldnt have to worry about being put on child support

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:45am
The child's mother ain't ish

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:46am
lmao at putting your jizz in a coffee cup and going about your business.

dumb ppl irk me.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

All parties involved are dumb as fck imo. Should've done it the right way instead of through craigslist then he probably wouldnt have to worry about being put on child support

yes 
how did they know he didnt have a std 
this whole story is crazy 

i dont think the man should have to pay child support 
i guess he has to take his lick tho

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:48am
They probably all should have went through the proper legal and medical channels.

While it is odd sperm donation is necessary for many couples .

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:22pm
I would say something, but I don't want to start anything.  I'll just say that this could have been avoided. Stern Smile

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

I would say something, but I don't want to start anything.  I'll just say that this could have been avoided. Stern Smile

do it Evil Smile

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:25pm
Ew...did they even test it for diseases or know anything about this man?

Anyway, I hope her cs case gets thrown out...who signed the birth certificate?

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:25pm
the state is going after him, yes?  not the ex-wife.  she was trying to get welfare (not child support) and was simply being truthful about the chain of events, right? after all, it is a crime to lie to the state in this regard...

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:28pm
yeah, the mother is not going after him, it's the state...which is the normal procedure when a mother gets govt aid

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:28pm
damn...they are all so dumb

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

do it Evil Smile

LOL  I didn't want it to turn into a gay marriage thread.  I was going to say if we just go ahead and legalize it, we can put systems in place that put the responsibility on the spouse.  I'm sure it'll vary state to state, but when the baby is born just allow for the partner of the mother to be put on the birth certificate.  No sperm donor, legitimate and otherwise, would need to worry.  LOL

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:33pm
All parties should have went about it through the right parties. Donor bank?

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

the state is going after him, yes?  not the ex-wife.  she was trying to get welfare (not child support) and was simply being truthful about the chain of events, right? after all,
it is a crime to lie to the state in this regard...

Oh, the state...so, to uphold the integrity of the sperm donation process why not just say she had no idea who the father was?

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:36pm
That's crazy, I know a woman who's still screwing the baby daddy, haven't taken him for child support and receiving food stamps and TANF for her children.  The state ain't kicking down his doors.  When I ask why she haven't went through the process of receiving cs from said bd, she tells me that the process is too strenuous. 

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:36pm
The baby is in some mess

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:37pm

yeah, the mother is not going after him, it's the state...which is the normal procedure when a mother gets govt aid

They should have done it the right way and since they didn't, guess she should have said she doesnt know who the father is

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

the state is going after him, yes?  not the ex-wife.  she was trying to get welfare (not child support) and was simply being truthful about the chain of events, right? after all,
it is a crime to lie to the state in this regard...

Oh, the state...so, to uphold the integrity of the sperm donation process why not just say she had no idea who the father was?

but she does know him.  if she had gone to a sperm bank she likely wouldn't know him.

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:40pm
I know she knows him but I'm sure she also assured him that nothing like this would happen in the future. He was probably a guy hard up for money. He upheld his side and she should've kept him out of it.

Posted By: beebeexx
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:42pm
this is craziness. I would only call their methods irresponsible because they don't know what diseases his sperm coul have been carrying.
I'm not mad at them wanting to avoid the fees of the "proper" channels.
it's completely free to get impregnated the "regular" way but the moment you have any difficulties you're talking 1000s minimum to make a baby.

he shouldn't have to pay child support. the dead beat mother needs her ass beat daily.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:45pm
maybe the ex-husband told the state about the sperm donor to get out of paying.  maybe the caseworker interogated her...and she was spooked about catching a fed offense case.  whatever the case, clearly none of them are the the brightest bulbs in the pack...shrugs.

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: sexyandfamous
This woman is a disgusting and selfish human being. She is raising a child with no morals, just like her.

-------------
hip measured is from fullest part on butt:
start: 32C-24-35

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9bbbc000b1aa15d0337a651ec6e3f36c/tumblr_n1g94wvCbW1rk74v1o1_400.gif

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hn7ui0.jpg

True beebs

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:51pm
I just looked at some of the prices for sperm and getting artificially inseminated.  I...can see why they hit craigslist.  I would have paid extra for a more...traditional route to pregnancy in that situation, but that's a lot of money when there's such an abundance of sperm in the world. Dead

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 12:58pm
This sounds like a set up to me.
So what about the contract he allegedly signed waving rights?
Does he have a right to fight for custody?

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:11pm
what pits was this man wading through in craigslist to have found that ad? LOL ...and 3 cups? he sure is generous and virile Stern Smile

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:26pm
such a complicated matter

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 1:50pm

what pits was this man wading through in craigslist to have found that ad? LOL ...and 3 cups? he sure is generous and virile Stern Smile

3 cups is a lot

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Quiann00 Quiann00 wrote:

This sounds like a set up to me.
So what about the contract he allegedly signed waving rights?
Does he have a right to fight for custody?

not a set up.. more so they are all idiots.

you can't just write on a piece of paper that you want to terminate your parental rights...and that be that.

specifically in kansas... if you want to voluntarily give up parental rights-- you have to do so w/ a judge or another authorized individual.

you and ya baby daddy can't just type it up on microsoft word.. ' he aint in it'
proper steps need to be taken.

and yes he does have the right to fight for custody

-------------

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:32pm
This is what CSI episodes are made of.

That man has no responsibility to that child and those dumbass parents. Excuse my French.

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:37pm

It's an interesting case. Since the gay marriage is not legal there, they cant go after the ex for cs

well apparently her lover didn't adopt the child.. same sex couples if one carries the child (and they don't always have the doctor do it) they do a second parent adoption for the partner that didn't carry the child, so that the child can be both's child legally.. one would be responsible for child support should their relationship dissolve.. gay marriage isn't legal in my State either but a second parent adoption is.. honestly i think they are stretching with this one.. 

-------------

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:39pm
He messed up by not signing his parental rights over as soon as that baby breathed oxygen. If she is sickly and poor, he should fight for full custody.

I bet she'd back the fck off then

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:49pm
She's not fighting for child support.  

Posted By: nimkola
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:59pm
But wait - dude has a wife too? What the hell? Did she know about him donating sperm to randoms over the internet?

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:17pm
Foul

-------------
Domin

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

He messed up by not signing his parental rights over as soon as that baby breathed oxygen. If she is sickly and poor, he should fight for full custody.

I bet she'd back the fck off then

That doesn't matter. Even if a parent signs their rights over, the state can still go after them for child support if the primary parent of the child files for public assistance.

-------------
― Malcolm X

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:38pm
messy situation and no matter what happened or why

is he forgetting that his daughter is living and breathing and is close to having no one to turn to

he should be spending this time getting to know her

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 10:52pm
I don't know how excited I'd be with having a random guy spending time with my kid when my only intent for him was craigslist sperm. LOL

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:36pm

I just looked at some of the prices for sperm and getting artificially inseminated.  I...can see why they hit craigslist.  I would have paid extra for a more...traditional route to pregnancy in that situation, but that's a lot of money when there's such an abundance of sperm in the world. Dead
DeadLOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

messy situation and no matter what happened or why

is he forgetting that his daughter is living and breathing and is close to having no one to turn to

he should be spending this time getting to know her

Right. People just don't give a damn. Apparently she was just a quick buck to him. A damn shame. Out here selling your seed on Craigslist and got your child out here starving and don't want to feed her. Some people take it too far.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:53pm
I'm not understanding why the father has any obligation to this child? How is it his problem if the child is in need?

I can see why legally but not morally.

They made an arrangement that unfortunately was not done properly but at the end of the day he did not sign up to be a father. If her girlfriend never left it would've never mattered.

If he has to pay bc of a legal thing then ok but He shouldn't be looked at as some deadbeat dad.

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 11:54pm
Yeah.  Other sperm donors don't to get all choked up about these things when they're handing off their genetic legacy at sperm banks.  I imagine this guy feels similarly. 

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:00am
I don't think a person should make a monetary gain for selling their child. Children are blessing, worth more than a one-time payment when you are having hard luck. He brought that child into this world and he got money for it. She didn't ask to be here or in that situation. He basically used her and now she is struggling and he doesn't even care. That is twisted to me for a person to have child out there that looks like them, who would not be here if it weren't for them and to look at that child like just another stranger on the street. To me he is not worthy of the gift of siring children.

But that's just my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:02am
Used her? How?

He gave a lesbian couple what they could've never achieved on their own.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:03am
Oh, yeah.  I guess it just doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.  There are people out there who for one reason or another need sperm to get pregnant and don't need or want the man supplying the sperm.  There's apparently a very lucrative business out there so expensive that it drives people to craigslist for sperm.  LOL

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:05am
lol @ him using her.

used ppl usually give and dont receive anything in return..

they made an even exchange.

she gave $... he gave a nut.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:06am
I meant he used the resulting child, not the woman. The mother got what she wanted. The child never asked for any of this.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:13am
I guess I just don't view sperm donation negatively.  It helps out a lot of people.  This couple just happened to split up and the law was not on their side.  It's really common for the partner with the baby to struggle after a break-up/divorce.  Getting on assistance while trying to get on your feet after that seems reasonable.  

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:36am
I don't view it negatively either. My GF used a sperm bank. We were grateful for the option.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:44am
Jesus wept

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 12:50am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Used her? How?

He gave a lesbian couple what they could've never achieved on their own.
Pretty much.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 7:43am
He did NOT sell his sperm to them

The article says he gave it to them for free

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 8:48am
i guess i'm not understanding why the woman is being villified here.  she fell on hard times and is now seeking help from the state.  in my mind, this would be similar to going to a sperm bank.  yes, she told the truth about knowing who the sperm donor was but it is still the same.   the state is taking action according to the their law but this does not mean the woman is f*cked up.

anyway, i also don't understand why the ex-husband is not being held responsible since he and the woman were married and took this action "together" to have this child.

nevermind.  i missed th part about them being a lesbians.  but yeah...the other woman should also be responsible...imo.

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 8:52am
I saw this on my newsfeed the other day.
Bottom line is men need to be responsible for what they do with their sperm. Their sperm is their seed. The devil has people thinking they can  do anything they want and have anything they desire without thinking about the future consequences of their actions today. Yes he should be made to pay child support, he fathered a child. She cannot remove the father from the equation just because they desire to do so, it took this man's sperm to help create this baby. Now income is also needed for the future care of this child.

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 8:55am
so sperm recieved from a sperm bank should be tracked to the man and he be made to pay?  also what about adoption?  should the parents (mother or father if living) be made to pay even tho their children have been adopted?

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: r0ck_starr
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 9:27am
The guy did what he was asked. The woman is responsible. If this is the future of kids in some same sex relationships we're gonna have a effed up world in the future. Its bad enough we have baby momma drama, now we're using life as a business transaction?

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:03am
Damn, I feel bad for the guy.

And yes, going through the "proper channels" is expensive AND sometimes it has to be done more than once. It's not a one and done type of deal.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:37am

people take in stray animals that aren't related to them in any way whatsoever

knowing that this girl may soon be an orphan (her mother is quite sick and her partner dashed) ... well to me that isn't the best time to avoid responsibility

if you don't agree that's fine but that's my opinion

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:40am

don't know if anyone asked this yet

but sperm can stay active/heathy for a day at any old temperature in a tupperware dish?

I thought it was flash frozen until ready to use (at the sperm bank)

I guess he could have walked it over fresh within minutes

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:40am

knowing that this girl may soon be an orphan (her mother is quite sick and her partner dashed) ... well to me that isn't the best time to avoid responsibility

I think in that case that one of the sick mother's relatives should take the child. This is a mess all around though

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:41am
I think the woman who jointly decided to bring the child into this world and was her parent for 2-3 years is who should be responsible.  

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:45am

None of those people, her relatives or her lesbian partner, are helping while she is alive ... hence she has turned to welfare

everyone can pass the buck in this case, but it has to stop somewhere 

this is beyond, should

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:46am

do you exchange names and addresses for craigslist purchases?

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 10:48am

I think the woman who jointly decided to bring the child into this world and was her parent for 2-3 years is who should be responsible.  

Absolutely. Abandoning the child when the relationship ends. That's heartless.

-------------

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:09am
They had sex imo

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:31am

i actually do understand what you are saying.  but this line of thinking probably also explains why some would rather have an early abortion than carry to term and give the baby up for adoption...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:41am
So if he puts the child up for adoption is that a problem? What is the cut off age to relinquish your rights without any consequence?

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:47am

true. plus they didnt go about getting a sperm donor the proper way so technically I dont see a problem with him being put on child support

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 11:48am
hmmmm...i wonder.  but, i'm thinking he wouldn't be able to get out of child support at this point from giving the child up for adoption to the biological mom now.  the state sees him as the father and responsible in lieu of welfare...

-------------

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 1:58pm
Make him pay. People need to think twice about making babies they don't care about. You don't make a baby for money or as a "favor."

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 2:08pm

so sperm recieved from a sperm bank should be tracked to the man and he be made to pay?  also what about adoption?  should the parents (mother or father if living) be made to pay even tho their children have been adopted?

Just because something's legal doesn't make it right. Also the difference is that with adoption the child is already here. They are just making the best of a bad situation by finding someone else to care for it when the parents can't or don't want to. But this man made a child knowing he didn't care how it would be cared for.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window