Print Page | Close Window

Is anything off limits when it comes to jokes?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352986
Printed Date: Aug 14 2018 at 6:53pm


Topic: Is anything off limits when it comes to jokes?
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Subject: Is anything off limits when it comes to jokes?
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:36pm
Do you guys think there's any subject that is completely off limits when it comes to jokes?

Have you ever laughed about a joke about mental retardation, rape, slavery, the holocaust, 9/11, etc?

So, what is actually TOO serious to be joked about? Do you actually tell people their joke was out of line or do you politely laugh along?

I know that people say time heals and then certain things become fair game or its just their way of dealing but do you judge people who find humor in these things?

I'm asking bc I think I have an inappropriate sense of humor and don't really get offended easily.



Replies:
Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:38pm
nope, its all fair game.. 

mental retardation, physical disabilities, children, death of loved ones, etc... 



Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:39pm
Race, slavery, rape, death, physical or mental disabilities

-------------


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:42pm
excellent thread topic TS


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:



Race, slavery, rape, death, physical or mental disabilities


Those things are not ok to laugh about?


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:43pm
I knew oodles would show up for this lol

If those jokes make you laugh then it's funny.
I think it's about personal taste.

That slavery skit I laughed at.
In Django there was a scene about the KKK I laughed hard.



-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:44pm
Nothing is off limits between me and one of my friends. Anything you could name, we've joked about it. Things I would never say on BHM for sure


Of course I dont want to hear certain people make jokes about certain topics.


Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:



Race, slavery, rape, death, physical or mental disabilities


Those things are not ok to laugh about?
 
Nope


-------------


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Nothing is off limits between me and one of my friends. Anything you could name, we've joked about it. Things I would never say on BHM for sure


Of course I dont want to hear certain people make jokes about certain topics.




Why do certain people get passes though? A yt person can't find the same humor in slavery as a black person? What of the yt person was making a joke that made slave owners look bad? Gary Owens type of guy.


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:48pm
Delivery and context matter

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:50pm
If it's funny, it's funny. Can't help it. 


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Nothing is off limits between me and one of my friends. Anything you could name, we've joked about it. Things I would never say on BHM for sure


Of course I dont want to hear certain people make jokes about certain topics.




Why do certain people get passes though? A yt person can't find the same humor in slavery as a black person? What of the yt person was making a joke that made slave owners look bad? Gary Owens type of guy.


Certain people telling certain jokes could mean a Klan member telling jokes about slavery or baby mamas at a Klan rally. I didnt specify.




Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

If it's funny, it's funny. Can't help it. 



This basicaly

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Delivery and context matter
 
exactly 
anything can be funny as long as the delivery is funny 

& I agree with LB also. 
the things that me and my crew talk about would never fly on bhm but it's hilarious 


-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:57pm
If a klan member and a black comedian tell the same Joke about baby mamas why is one funny and not the other when it's the same joke? Shouldn't the joke be off limits in general then?


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:57pm
Nope


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:58pm
The delivery and context would be different .
Not only that but some ppl are just better story tellers

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:59pm
Public jokes about race, culture, heritage, religion and spirituality, sexuality, are off limits to me because of all the ignorance in the world, because of how humans learn, because of how complex life is, because of the broken telephone affect. 


Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:02pm
yes, there are things that are off limits.
jokes that people tell, say a lot about them. 

but if you have the audience for goofy stuff like that, do it. 


-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends


Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:02pm
i can laugh at a joke about almost anything... 

but i think what you guys call, 'clowning' is different. 
i dont think ppl with mental and physical disabilities should be 'clowned' for said disability 


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:02pm
Is something someone says even funny if it all hinges on who says it? Given two ppl say it in the same way.


Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Is something someone says even funny if it all hinges on who says it? Given two ppl say it in the same way.


Depends. Expectations and willingness to hear what is being said vs anxiousness to dismiss it plays a part in allowing the humor to work.


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:06pm
Wonderland, when my friend tells me I look like sh*t, I will laugh .. it's funny and she really means it. If a coworker I don't know says it the same way, I might not laugh as hard..

and coco, I agree with your idea about clowning


Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:11pm
Rape, Abortion, physical abuse are off limits for me. im sure there are more but those came to mind first.


Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

Public jokes about race, culture, heritage, religion and spirituality, sexuality, are off limits to me because of all the ignorance in the world, because of how humans learn, because of how complex life is, because of the broken telephone affect. 


i think some of the most ignorant statements believed by the masses were first made in jest and repeated as fact.


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:13pm
I personally don't clown anyone in that way,
But if the person is giving it right back then I don't cape.

I actually think that's insulting to the person.
Like when you said you would dance for him out of pity or something.

IMO that was the most insulting thing said in the whole thread

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:17pm
I hear what you're saying, lb.

I do agree that it's dangerous when jokes become misconstrued as facts.


Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:22pm
dont look at it as pity jones.. 




Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:23pm
theres a difference between a story teller telling a story in which something is funny, and people making jokes about something that you know is offensive to get laughs. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:29pm
Hmmm idk.
I can find humor in a lot of things just depends.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:32pm
So it's basically what jones is saying then...nothing is off limits as long as its funny to you the individual. it's all fair game that can't really be judged without making yourself look like a hypocrite. So the response should just be not to laugh but also not speaking out against it?


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:33pm
Naw if you find it unfunny and it crosses the line then sure it's fine to speak on it.
But if the other person finds it funny then that's fine too.

It's all about personal taste

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:36pm
Well yeah a person can speak out against whatever they choose but can their opinion really hold much weight if they laugh about the same subject matter coming from other sources?


Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:40pm
i don't laugh about certain things.
i don't befriend people who actively make jokes about things.

i just wouldn't want those type of people around me. 

but everyone has different taste in things. 
you will sound hypocritical limiting some people from joking about some things, while you laugh when they come out of someone else's mouth. but i don't think most people have a problem with admitting to being hypocritical in that way. 


-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:51pm
When I was in a training for work, the instructor made a joke that was so inappropriate. I bust out laughing and everyone else looked uncomfortable.

For me, even though the actual subject/event was sad.. the joke was funny.. and for me, it's possible to laugh at a joke and still think the actual event was awful.




Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:54pm
Lol well what was the joke?


Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

When I was in a training for work, the instructor made a joke that was so inappropriate. I bust out laughing and everyone else looked uncomfortable.

For me, even though the actual subject/event was sad.. the joke was funny.. and for me, it's possible to laugh at a joke and still think the actual event was awful.






Completely agree


-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:03pm
LOL wonderland it was way too much for BHM I think. It wasnt racial though


Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Race, slavery, rape, death, physical or mental disabilities
i agree but after watchin lisa lampanelli.....i dont know. she made being handicapped sound so funny onceConfusedCry

LOL

but i agree with youStern Smile


-------------


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:04pm
I had an professor in college who, while in the middle of discussing the Vietnam war, mentioned that some of the american soldiers took advantage of the women. then he said he wish he'd had a piece of that action. People were cracking up. 

I have low tolerance for bullsh*t like that. 


-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith


Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:11pm
There's some weird psychology behind people laughing at any and everything probably.

I think people will laugh at inappropriate jokes because they are uncomfortable and they hope that they themselves will not become the brunt of the joke. They'll laugh at others joking about them because they don't want to appear uptight. Like, if they laugh along, the torture will be over soon enough. something crazy like that, i'm sure. 




-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith


Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:12pm

I think rape is the only one I can't laugh at. I like Chris Rock so I laugh at racial jokes, I thought the Dave Chappelle Roots sketch was funny and that was slavery. I really thought George Carlin was funny too and he made jokes about mental disabilities.

Carlin: One out of every three Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of two of your best friends. If they are OK, then it must be you.


Posted By: sistagal
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:23pm
Rape, paedophilia, cancer is all I can think of atm. I find it extremely hard to laugh at those


Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:49pm
Some things just shouldn't be made fun of....


Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 5:54pm
Depends on the audience the joke is being told to as well as the deliverer of said joke.


A lot of sh*t I don't find funny anymore but guaranteed someone else will.


-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR



Posted By: el_bandido
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:01pm
I intend to offend when im telling jokes 

-------------


Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:30pm
I found these tweets interesting:

https://twitter.com/chescaleigh" rel="nofollow - - @Comedy goes up. If your "jokes" rely on making fun of a marginalized person then you're doing it wrong.


Response to her tweet: 

https://twitter.com/tokenbg" rel="nofollow - - @ https://twitter.com/chescaleigh" rel="nofollow - - chescaleigh  You can make marginalised people the subject of a joke, but NOT the target. Comedy (like all art) is meant to reveal a truth.


Her response: 

https://twitter.com/chescaleigh" rel="nofollow - - ‏ - @
https://twitter.com/tokenbg" rel="nofollow - - tokenbg  agreed. but jokes about marginalized ppl takes comedic skill. I see ppl claiming it's social commentary but failing hard


-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.


Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:41pm
Anyways yes I think there is such as thing as going too far. There are people that can get away with saying certain jokes because they understand the cause of the differences and being a comedian takes intelligence. Butttt there are people that are just unhappy with everything in general and use jokes as a way to get away with saying inappropriate thoughts.

Like a White girl that would make Jewish jokes with me and my Black friends and I never found them funny and told my friends that this girl is probably making Black jokes when we are not around. Or when I was at a party and one guy was making jokes about Hurricane Katrina with people from New Orleans. Confused He was a socially awkward person and thought nothing was off limits....Nothing. I stopped talking to him because he had weird tendencies and seemed like he struggled with aligning with the social norms of society. And I don't get making jokes about illnesses, disabilities and the like. I find a lot of things funny though. You can be funny without offending.


-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.


Posted By: beebeexx
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:55pm
the only tasteful rape joke I've ever heard was done by Wanda Sykes... it worked because it didn't make victims/women the brunt of the joke.

but most people shouldn't even try. just don't do it. joke about something else.


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:


In Django there was a scene about the KKK I laughed hard.


i GUFFAWED. HARD.


-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:59pm
Anyone laugh at the rape scene in "Don't Be A Menace"?


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Nothing is off limits between me and one of my friends. Anything you could name, we've joked about it. Things I would never say on BHM for sure


Of course I dont want to hear certain people make jokes about certain topics.

right. we def. have a running off color joke about topics that were listed as off limits here.LOL


-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Anyone laugh at the rape scene in "Don't Be A Menace"?
yes


-------------


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:31pm
i think the deceased should be off limits, but they aren't 

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

i think the deceased should be off limits, but they aren't 


All deceased people?


Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

i think the deceased should be off limits, but they aren't 


All deceased people?
yeah. Let them rest. Like the whitney jokes, mike jokes, amy winehouse, etc. Let them rest man. 

-------------
My mind explodes


Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:58pm
belle...now i feel bad...i laughed hard as hell at the "i'm rick james bish" "it's a celebration" jokes...LOLOuch

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy


dacoldesteva


Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 8:22pm
IMO its all about timing and delivery 

but I'ma lost cause 

I watch to much Robot Chicken 


Posted By: gabi03
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 9:12pm
rape jokes are always off limits to me, I don't care what your gender or ethnic background is, I will cuss you out. Rape is in no way funny. Race and gender jokes usually don't get a giggle out of me but it does depend on the person, my relationship with them and their delivery. 


Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

There's some weird psychology behind people laughing at any and everything probably.

I think people will laugh at inappropriate jokes because they are uncomfortable and they hope that they themselves will not become the brunt of the joke. They'll laugh at others joking about them because they don't want to appear uptight. Like, if they laugh along, the torture will be over soon enough. something crazy like that, i'm sure. 




this. anyone remember the tosh.o and his rape joke? I think that is a prime example of what you are talking about

I think a lot of ppl do this.

Personally, I don't like rape jokes, and pedo jokes. I also don't like those dead baby jokes, either. I also don't really like white people making jokes about slavery.




-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins


Posted By: solo
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 10:37pm
Definitely. And it varies on a person by person basis.

Of course a lot of us are hypocrites when it comes to this, myself included.

Simply, because what we find 'offensive' varies from person to person. I'm sure there are plenty of topics that I find absolutely offensive that someone else does not and vice versa...


-------------
- solo


Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 10:38pm
Certain topics may be "off limits" but that doesn't mean that people will respect the limits

If you say certain jokes that are considered inappropriate, you will be judged the way that Whites are judged for saying the "n-word"

If anything, just shows what type of person you are... how classless or distasteful you are


Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 11:04pm
I have very crude humor so nothing is really off limits. 

-------------
yo



Print Page | Close Window