Print Page | Close Window

extreme couponing tips

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352871
Printed Date: Dec 19 2018 at 5:29am

Topic: extreme couponing tips
Posted By: eanaj5
Subject: extreme couponing tips
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 7:33pm
not the show, but do any of you know or even extreme coupon yourself? Any tips on how to get started, im a college student tryna save a penny outchea...

I have watched the show a couple times and am in awe of the savings.

Also any advice on avoiding bootyblocking from the store managers would be great!

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Replies:
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 7:58pm
I don't do it but my guess would be that you can start by buying a folder and the lil plastic cover thingies like what you use to put trading cards in

Then organize it by expiration dates, catergory, etc,...

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:22pm
Can someone explain what doubling of a coupon means??

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by HowardAlumAKA HowardAlumAKA wrote:

Some stores double coupons. If the coupon is worth .50 off , you will get $1 off

Posted By: FarrahTheLibra
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:28pm

Doubling a coupons means the place that accepts it will match the price of the coupon (usually up to $.99)

For example, you want a bag of chips that cost $2.00 and you have a coupon for $.50
The place will take  an additional $.50 off and you pay only $1.00 for the chips

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:30pm
www.entertainment.com

has these huge coupon books that cost $25 but the book will pay for itself.
It has coupons for grocery stores, clothing stores, and dining for most areas. 
I find them really helpful.

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Also any advice on avoiding bootyblocking from the store managers would be great!

And what does that mean???

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:32pm
Coupons.com
Redplum.com
Smart source.com
Coupon network.com

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:35pm
Be firm. Print out the stores coupon policy and bring it with you

Call corporate if they hassle you

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:47pm
Extreme couponing is real in these streets LOL

Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by FarrahTheLibra FarrahTheLibra wrote:

And what does that mean???

booty is a term pirates use for "the goods"
store managers want to keep their losses to a minimum therefore they are "bootyblocking"
Its corny, i know Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:57pm
Yea "booty's" original definition means 'treasure' or 'goods'

Understandable how it morphed lol

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 8:57pm
out of boredom tonight i watched EC show.

my question is.... is it possible to coupon on a normal scale.

like still only pay maybe 5 dollars for lets say a 50 dollar bill--
but not come home w/ 18 bottles of mustard?

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: atbest82
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:37pm
Make sure you have a plan before leaving to go to the store. Make sure your coupon is for the right item and please don't smash and grab. I loathe that extreme couponing show. If you notice when extreme couponers go out they mostly get lots of HBA, paper goods and unhealthy foods.  But  just a couple of weeks ago I got $123 worth of stuff (things for Christmas gifts, groceries, perfume, etc) at walmart for $ 3.07.

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

yes, i wonder this as well.

although i kind of wouldnt mind it, i'd just give the extra to food banks

-------------

Posted By: atbest82
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:44pm
You can! If done correctly you can use the overage from items with coupons on non coupon items.

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

yes, i wonder this as well.

although i kind of wouldnt mind it, i'd just give the extra to food banks

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:46pm
the episode i was watching tonight.

like she ran out of space for all her goods.

her bedroom closet was filled w/ laundry detergent.
she had toothpaste in dresser drawers.

aint nobody got time for that.
I need space for my shoesUnhappy

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:05pm
I love and hate coupons. It makes me pay things I don't need! Grrrrrrrrrr

-------------
yo

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:09pm
you're a student? 
do you work? if so you can get food stamps 
also look out for stores that give discounts for students 

the grocery store closest to campus here gives 10% off your purchase if you come in wearing your school colors 

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:18pm
was watching the episodes too and it got me all excited, just printed a few coupons and will try at Target and Walgreens tomorrow.....buttermmm that lady spent $1300 and the store ended up owing her 31cents Shocked 

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:23pm

Be firm. Print out the stores coupon policy and bring it with you

A copy of the CFR with the ones that pertain to you/your coupons highlighted in yellow usually puts the brakes on that hassle shyt.

-------------

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:23pm
I use coupons all the time but not to the extreme. I also give feedback on my fav products time to time and get freebies.

-------------

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:25pm

Some stores double coupons. If the coupon is worth .50 off , you will get $1 off

Do you have to ask them to do this?

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:43pm
^^^There's usually a sign on the front doors advertising that they double/triple, the amounts, and the day(s) they do it on. Something like:

"Double coupons up to $1 everyday! Triple coupons up to 75 cents every 3rd Tuesday!"

-------------

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 11:25pm
I just regular coupon...extreme couponing is more than I care to do.

Sign up for the rewards card at the store you frequent the most. Ralph's (Kroger for the rest of y'all) saves me a lot of money through the rewards card and for points to use for gas discounts. Plus since it tracks what you buy they send me coupons in the mail for products I buy often (including fruit/vegetables). And most stores you can go on their website and load the coupons to your card which makes things easier.

Focus on using coupons for things you use regularly...don't just buy something because you have a coupon. Go to the manufacturer's website or google for coupons and freebies (you can usually find the same coupons that are in the paper). You can save a lot on toiletries/cleaning supplies that way.

Don't be afraid to buy the meat and fresh produce that's on special because it needs to be sold that day. You can get meat really cheap that way...just go home and freeze it straight away or cook it that night (I usually just freeze it). For veggies you can steam them pretty quickly (al dente), then freeze, and just heat them up when you want them.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:23am
Sorry, fell asleep, but lots of great tips ladies, thanks!

-------------

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:49am
I used to coupon, not extreme, but like regular coupon.

I didn't understand it until I did some research, but the reason that they buy so many of a particular item is because sale prices go through phases. More sophisticated couponers watch sale prices and keep a track of "rock bottom" prices, so when something you buy gets to or below your rock bottom price (which for many means with the use of a coupon they pay little to no money) it's time to stock up. 

You buy a lot because it will be a while before whatever item will get to your rock bottom price again. I don't think they tell you that on the show, but that is why people keep a stash or stockpile. These people aren't buying things to fill their pantry every week, they buy when the things are little to no cost and keep a good amount to last. So they may go to the grocery store and only get 10 things, but they'll buy a sh*tload of those 10 things to last until it gets to rock bottom sale price again. And this is repeated basically weekly.

Don't be loyal to one store. And sign up for store cards with your correct address. Many of them will mail you store coupons directly which can be used on top of manufacturer coupons (stacking) or total purchase coupons.

Another thing-some stores won't give you overage (I think wal-mart may be one) so like mentioned you have to be very aware of store coupon policies. One's that do give you overage-that can be used to buy (fresh) meat, seafood, veggies and fruits. Almost anything else in the store you can get a coupon for.

I've gotten many free things, and some for low cost. I've gotten free cake mix, lotion, hair conditioner, milk, and other crap. And many, many things for low cost-cereal is a big one, yogurt, juice, makeup, and again many many other things.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 8:25am
^^^ aaah ok, i was wondering why i would need 20 bottles of mustard.....wouldnt mind stockpiling on cleaning supplies though

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:14pm
Exactly. Cleaning supplies don't have an expiration date, or at least they have a longer shelf life than food items. The same with many health and beauty items.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:46pm
Kroger gives you overage

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 4:19pm
Nice thread. 

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 4:55pm
I got $55 worth of groceries for $30 today. 

Date Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 11:09am
Thought i'd bump this thread Embarrassed

I've been couponing the last few weeks. I now kinda understand the process, though havent shopped too much, mostly researching. After reading many websites, this blog broke it down to palatable portions for me so that its not so overwhelming:
  http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/beginners-guide-to-coupons/thebeginners-guide-to-coupons-2/part-one-how-to-start/" rel="nofollow - http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/beginners-guide-to-coupons/thebeginners-guide-to-coupons-2/part-one-how-to-start/

So far my best shopping has been to Walgreens where i saved 50% of my bill when the manufacturer's coupons, walgreens rewards and their coupons were combined. I've started my stockpile of cleaning/household goods. CVS is my next trip, since drugstore savings are quite good given that you get money back, so you can get a lot of free stuff.

I've been getting coupons from Sunday newspapers and asked my friends who dont use theirs to pass them on. Also signed up in a few couponing websites so i print them weekly.

Print Page | Close Window