Print Page | Close Window

I didnt think Id be able to do this... (pics)

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352838
Printed Date: Dec 09 2018 at 3:41pm

Topic: I didnt think Id be able to do this... (pics)
Posted By: natosha99
Subject: I didnt think Id be able to do this... (pics)
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 2:01am
But I did my own marley twists! Some of you out there think this is an easy feat, but I have zero hair skills, so this was a major accomplishment for me. I should have made this thread in the twists section, but nobody really goes down there.

Anyway, I watched a bunch of youtube videos, bought some Freetress Marley Hair, and took New years eve to figure it out.  These pictures are from when I finished, and the 2nd set are from today after I got home from the gym. It took me almost 7 hours to complete them. It should have taken half that time, but again, I didn't expect to be able to do it at all.

If anybody has any tips on how to get these in a little tighter, please let me know. There are a few in the back that are really loose and I can't seem to keep them from slipping.

Replies:
Posted By: natural essence
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 10:14am
I think you did a great job!!

I am always in awe of people who are able to put in their own extensions as I always struggle...I do know that if you start by braiding your own hair into the twisted hair and keeping it taut before you start to twist it should be a bit tioghter and close to the scalp...I am sure one of the vets will chime in shortly.

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 11:38am
You can base braid the ones in the back to make them more secure.

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: CincygirlD
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 12:09pm
Great job!!

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 4:59pm
looks good

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 1:15am
I base braided mine but in addition to that, to keep them from slipping while i was twisting, I took a duck bill clip and put it at the base of the braid against  my scalp. It made it so I could finish the twist without having the tension of my twisting pull the twist down a half inch to an inch from my roots. .

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: natosha99
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 6:46am
Thanks for the advice! How long did you guys keep these in? I work out every day and wash my scalp once a week, but even then, they harbor some stankness after running 3-4 miles or 2 hours of cycling/aerobics.

Is there a trick to making them last longer? I noticed people on youtube didn't wash theirs very often...

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 7:04am
well doneClap

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 8:06am
Originally posted by natosha99 natosha99 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! How long did you guys keep these in? I work out every day and wash my scalp once a week, but even then, they harbor some stankness after running 3-4 miles or 2 hours of cycling/aerobics.

Is there a trick to making them last longer? I noticed people on youtube didn't wash theirs very often...

Instead of washing them after every workout you can use some sort of scented face toner/astringent to cleanse your scalp. I wear my hair in box braids (no extensions) and I do that and it keeps my scalp fresh..I still co-wash once or twice a week.

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 9:09am
Very good looking! 

-------------

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 9:19am
Nah girl, you did a great job I like them.....cute

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 12:29pm
I've only had mine in since just before Thanksgiving. So I guess almost 2 months. I'm taking them out next week though just to switch my look up and go back to my flw so I can fully PS until spring.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 12 2013 at 9:55am
Im seriously thinking about doing these tomorrow any you tube channel suggestions?

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 12:43am
It really depends on which technique you want to use. The twists I have in now were my first attempt and I did a ton of research. I originally wanted Senegalese Twists but the double twisting method isn't something that I could master. So I basically just focused on kinky twist tut's.

But there are 2 main ways that I saw being promoted. Starting with a braid at the roots vs starting with twists at the roots. I opted for the braid base since it was my first time.

-------------

Posted By: Lovelyred01
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 1:01am
These are awesome!!! Good job girl!!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 2:32am
Looking real good!Big smile

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 7:43am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

It really depends on which technique you want to use. The twists I have in now were my first attempt and I did a ton of research. I originally wanted Senegalese Twists but the double twisting method isn't something that I could master. So I basically just focused on kinky twist tut's.

But there are 2 main ways that I saw being promoted. Starting with a braid at the roots vs starting with twists at the roots. I opted for the braid base since it was my first time.

Thank You.  I tried, I did three and could do no moreLOL.  First I did the braid but the braid was too long so I tried half a braid nope my hair was sticking out then I did the twist I think i could get that done but it would take forever to do my hair....maybe when my mindset is different I will attempt because they are so pretty.  I also think I need to use a different gel to lay my hair down with the twist....I used the twist and lock gel.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 11:15am
I used my eco styler gel to tame my hair and the marley hair while I was twisting. Originally it took me two days to do because I originally went to someone else to get senegalese twists but she made them too small and I used the wrong kind of hair so I hated it.

So over two days I took down the senegalese twists (that I paid for so I was annoyed at that) and put in the marley twists.

-------------

Posted By: AmberColour
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 2:43pm
Love this!Big smile

-------------

Print Page | Close Window