Print Page | Close Window

Personal Projects: Discuss, update, celebrate!

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352803
Printed Date: Dec 10 2018 at 7:10pm

Topic: Personal Projects: Discuss, update, celebrate!
Posted By: maysay1
Subject: Personal Projects: Discuss, update, celebrate!
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 9:47am
It's the first of the year and it seemed like a good time to start this. I know we all have resolutions, goals, plans, and ideas and the beginning of the year is as good a time as any to start.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we discuss our ongoing personal projects, whatever they might be (self-improvement, physical, emotional, financial, educational, career, design, etc.). I think community support and idea sharing is really helpful and we could all use more positivity.

So what are you working on? Why is it important to you? What is your expected outcome? What are you doing to achieve completion? Any tips, information (links, books, thoughts, etc.), or thoughts you'd like to share? Progress to celebrate?

Replies:
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 9:50am
2013 Planning Workbook from Susannah Conway...I found it to be helpful.

http://www.susannahconway.com/2012/12/2013-workbook/

Posted By: arlenan
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 10:54am
I will finish my BA in Public Administration in May. I am working on grad school applications for my MPA. My project is to finish school without losing my job or my sanity 

Posted By: mitch77
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 11:10am
Thank you for starting this discussion- I was planning on starting a similar thread, with a slightly different twist. For this year, I plan to launch a new business venture. I was up late, scoring different resources etc. And of course, SBA and a host of other sites will be my best friend. I am at the stage in my life where I want to build enough wealth to assist inner city kids create pathways out of poverty. I am deeply burdened by the skill set I see in our community today.

So for 2012, I will launch... and continue to build a wonderful network of people who are hungry for change. Best of luck to the others here. I strongly believe in collaboration.

*Really hoping people flock in droves to this thread to contribute meaningfully>

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 11:32am
I'm taking my CISSP in April a day before my birthday. 

I'm moving to day shift after working 2nd and 3rd shift for about 7 years. I am going to try to finish my degree in Information Technology but I'm not particularly pressed about it since the CISSP is my ticket to any Network Security Job especially in the government sector.

But I want to travel a little more and finally learn how to speak proper French. I will also resume my weight loss goals which I put on the back burner because I put too much time into work. 

I also want to start my own IT firm.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 11:39am
My two basics are:
Study for and Pass Exam P
Network My ass off

I feel like networking will be hard, just because it's hard for me to hold a convo with people I have nothing in common with. Im also pretty shy and reserved. My expected outcome for this is to basically have connections when I need them (for career or whatever)

-------------
https://40.media.tumblr.com/5ba9e0be75128d9fefb41178032b37f9/tumblr_nm5ltoJrGx1skqlxjo1_540.jpg

Posted By: mitch77
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:39pm
ConcreteRose, Have you started building your profile online via social media. If you think that your shyness may be getting in your way, then I encourage you to work it (personal enhancement project for 2013?). ALso, linkedin and twitter, done in the right way, can provide you with a network of people you never have to meet face to face. Are you a member of any social media networks?

Good luck to you and the other IT experts. Funny, French is also on my be more fluent in list of languages as I feel I will eventually retire to French speaking country- love the cuisine...

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:56pm
good thread
i would suggest not just knowing  your project, but figure out the method. if you wanna pass an exam or get a better gpa, how will you study? what will you give up if necessary?
if you want to travel, where do you want to go, how will you budget, and what do you want to gain

im working mine out 

Posted By: Guidette
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:40pm
Got my youtube cooking channel up and running
Just started taking classes for https://class.coursera.org/introastro-2012-001/auth/auth_redirector?type=login&subtype=normal" rel="nofollow - Introduction to Astronomy ...Loves it
and this month  my classes for https://www.coursera.org/course/edc" rel="nofollow - E-learning and Digital Cultures  starts

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:48pm
I really love hearing about your projects! Yay! That's motivation in and of itself for me.

Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

good thread
i would suggest not just knowing  your project, but figure out the method. if you wanna pass an exam or get a better gpa, how will you study? what will you give up if necessary?
if you want to travel, where do you want to go, how will you budget, and what do you want to gain

im working mine out 

The bold is important for me. My intention for this year (and here on out really) is ACTION. So for all my projects I'm asking myself, what daily/weekly/monthly action can I complete?

For example...one of my projects is decluttering. Trying to get rid of everything at once doesn't work. But on a daily/weekly basis I can clear off one surface or drawer, or put my donation box in the car so that the next time I'm near goodwill I can just drop it off.

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 1:52pm
Educational goals: Get good grades on the courses I have this year
Personal goals: Figure out what path my love life will take
Financial goals: Do less shopping, save more, and pay off my tuition by December 1.
Work goals: Find more projects to manage

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 2:21pm

A Librarian's Tips For Keeping Your New Year's Resolution

For those of us who struggle with resolutions, it may be helpful to step back. Before focusing on the resolution, take some time to learn the best our culture has to offer on how people meet goals, break bad habits and establish good ones.

2012-12-24-NYBooks2697.jpg

From these three books, I gleaned three strategies to help us keep our New Year's resolutions in 2013.

Don't rely on willpower. Willpower is overrated as a means for making sustainable changes in our lives.

The authors of "Change Anything" called this the willpower trap:

"When people believe that their ability to make good choices stems from nothing more than their willpower -- and that willpower is a quality they're either born with or they're not -- they eventually stop trying altogether. The willpower trap keeps them in a depressing cycle that begins with heroic commitment to change, which is followed by eroding motivation and terminated inevitably by relapse into old habits."

Charles Duhigg, in "The Power of Habit," explored the metaphor of willpower as a muscle. Willpower can be fatigued by one task and, therefore, unavailable for a later one. This explains why a resolution to exercise after work will falter at the end of an unexpectedly hard day.

On the other hand, "The Power of Habit" also covered studies showing that willpower can be strengthened over time. A success in one area that requires willpower, say going to the gym, can revitalize other healthy habits like eating better. Willpower can help in the long run, but isn't the only tactic available.

Develop new skills. "Change Anything" advocates skill acquisition as a powerful tool:

"Every time you try your best to do what you know is right and you fail, there's a good chance that your failure can be traced in part to a gap in knowledge or a missing skill."

As a librarian, I use books to increase my knowledge and skills. There is a book, or many, for most resolutions, from eat healthier to improve my photography.

In "Emotional Equations," Chip Conley pointed out that any skill takes practice:

"If you stick with a skill, you start to see some improvement over time until you hit the dreaded plateau when your skill level just seems to coast for a while even though you're pouring energy into improving. Then, all of a sudden, you find that your skill ratchets up to the next level. That's how mastery works. It's not one smooth, upward-facing line of improvement; it happens in fits and starts."

Get support. Have you joined or created a support group for your New Year's resolution? According to "The Power of Habit," this may be a vital step in the success of your venture.

"The evidence is clear: If you want to change a habit, you must find an alternative routine, and your odds of success go up dramatically when you commit to changing as part of a group. Belief is essential, and it grows out of a communal experience, even if that community is only as large as two people."

"Change Anything" used the term "accomplices" for people in our lives who enable our bad habits and "friends" for people who empower behaviors that aid in meeting our goals. Fortunately, accomplices can sometimes be turned into friends.

Posted By: AmyAmyAmy
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:22pm
get somesort of entry level job in the finance sector if that fails any job will suffice
start uni in september
improve my maths
improve my eating/lose weight
get a make over
Have BSL hair
be more assertive.

make some new friends/get more social experiences/become likeable(OuchConfused)
Don't know if i'll complete them this yr...just goals i had for awhile

-------------

You haven't arrived until your twitter is verified.

Posted By: cvzx
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 7:42pm
Just completed one project...I stuck to my schedule and completed it in the timeframe I gave myself...with little to no procrastination

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 7:44pm
not setting or keeping records of goals has kept me from many disappointments

jr.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by cvzx cvzx wrote:

Just completed one project...I stuck to my schedule and completed it in the timeframe I gave myself...with little to no procrastination

Congrats! That's what I like to hear.

I just did a little work on cleaning out my emails. Deleted like 6k. I already feel better.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:26am
get out of all debt, I doubt I will pay all of my students loans off, but I will put a big dent in the amount.

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

jr.

and probably  held you back from your full potential. disappointment is a part of life. make realistic goals with a well thought out plan and you'll experience less of it. 

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

jr.

So do you just kind of work on your goals subconsciously?

Sometimes that works for me...just doing what I need to do without thinking directly on it. But I don't know if it's sustainable...or it's only sustainable for me when I have systems/routines in place that make it easy to take action without thinking about it.

I think the fear of not meeting an objective or being disappointed can be an obstacle. Do you (or anyone else) set your expectations low or are you just very realistic about what you can accomplish? And at what point do you push past what you already know you can do and expand into things that are more difficult/complex?

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:42am
Great thread!

My biggest goals are to finish my back, get to some sort of sustainable health (God-willing), and to lay the groundwork to run for the DC school board in 2014. Now that I'm retired I have nothing but time so I have to use it wisely.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:55am
Working on getting the foundation of my side hustle together
Grad school prep & applications Smile

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:57am
my projects for 2013 remains the same as they were for 2012/2011/2010.  finish construction (including a major project to generate my own power) on my house, pay off the mortgage.  then retire by the feb 2015.  that is all.

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 11:12am
my biggest project is figuring out if I want to continue teaching or move to a new career. If I decide to stay in teaching, I would like to start on my master's degree. If not, then I need to figure out how to go to a different career and begin the process of job searching.

I would like me and my husband to continue to improve on our home. My goals for this year is to get the guest room/dining room/master bedroom painted. Do something w/ the kitchen as well (new countertops/backsplash is the main goal). Next yr will be the basement and garage.

I really want to get fit, so exercising consistently with no excuses.

Maintain relationships w/ family and friends....I am horrible at keeping up with people.

Begin to write again...I may start off w/ FF stuff but eventually work on my own stuff. My ultimate goal is to be published.

HAIR. I want it. Big, fluffy, beautiful hair.

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 1:17pm
I plan to meet Midwest this winter. *crosses fingers*

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 1:20pm
LOL

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 2:08pm
educational goals: graduate with my BS, get accepted into UCLA law
financial goals: stop over spending, pay down credit card, save more each month to buy 1st home
personal goals: get my s/o to put a ring on it!!!!
career goals: get paid internship in DC for the summer, get promoted at current job
familial goals: stay in touch with family more.

tis all. 

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 2:57pm
LOL good luck with that nita...

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 5:17pm
Education Goals:
  1. Maintain my GPA. Although I'm missing one of my grades, my GPA is decent. My goal is to maintain this GPA. If I'm unable to, I would at least like to keep a high (3.8 or better) GPA. *fingers crossed*
  2. Dedicate more time to academics. This means, instead of watching TV or opting to surf the 'net, I'd be keeping up with required readings/assignments. I don't want to wait until the last minute to get things done. It's always good work, but I'm always overwhelmed.
  3. Begin looking into PhD programs. I'm indecisive, however going for my PhD is something I've considered in the past. I wouldn't apply to programs just yet, rather I'd look into some and compile a list of no more than five that I'd really be interested in.

Financial Goals:

1. No more frivolous spending. This loan refund burned a hole in my pocket. I began spending more than I had in years ... on stuff I didn't need. Now, if I don't need it, I won't be spending on it.
  2. Budget better.
  3. Save more. My mother is paying the interest on my loans. However, I want to start putting money aside, in a savings account (at least $75 - 100 a month) to put down on my loans. I'm in debt to my ears, so I doubt it'd do much of anything, but it's a start.

Personal Goals:

1. Keep my resolutions. It's always easier to make them than to keep them.
  2. Seek out help. I realize there are certain things I can't do by myself. The next step is to find someone who can help.
  3. Start networking. In the event that I don't go straight for my PhD (if I even chose to do it), I would have to find a place to do my residency after graduation. I have to start reaching out to places/expressing an interest. It may help to do more volunteer work.

Fitness Goals:

1. Get down to my goal weight. Become slim, trim, and sessi. Embarrassed

Posted By: GLAMAFROMNY
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:44pm
Educational goals
Finished my advanced certificate by the end of the summer
Look into 2nd masters program

Career goals
Get a job as a special Ed teacher before September, preferably within a special Ed district

Personal goals
Become social, being in the house on a Friday and Saturday night every weekend sucks :( (I'm so anti-social)
Read more books, not school related
Become open to new experiences
Travel more
Go to the gym consistently to preserve the sexy

-------------
GOD 1st!

Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 4:08pm
I have been wholesaling real estate & biz was not taking off. I realized I needed to up my marketing. I made a website www.brittaneybuyshouses.com. just ordered biz cards & I will be buying a decal for my car. I reactivated my 1-866 #, and will be doing a few more things. This will be my year...I hope I can get at least 3 deals a month.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel

Print Page | Close Window