Forum Name: Lace Fronts
Forum Description: Discussions on Lace Fronts
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352778
Printed Date: Nov 18 2017 at 2:41am

Topic: Lace wig critique with pics
Posted By: JazziAce
Subject: Lace wig critique with pics
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 2:27pm
Hi ya'll. I'm very new to lace wigs here...I tried my hand at this a year or so ago and gave up on it but now I'm back at it. I bought a unit not too long ago so that I can start practicing my hand at lace wigs. The unit is yaki about 16inches. I sprayed sally hansen in the inside of the unit as the knots were not bleached. I thinned the unit some to look less wiggy on me. But I'm having problems with the part. It's almost non existent. Can you ladies please give me some advise on what I need to do to make this unit banging? I have included pics below. Any help, advice, comments are welcomed...thanks. 

Replies:
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 2:28pm
my apologies for these huge pics!

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 2:40pm
Can't see em

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 2:41pm
thats odd..they are showing for me...something Im doing wrong?

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 2:51pm

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 2:54pm
OOOHH I like the cut !

Uhmm. I can see a small line of demarcation. But that might just be me. Is it behind ur hairline?

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Posted By: starliteboo
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:01pm
Is this a human or syntheic lace wig? Is there a reason why the part doesn't start at the edge of the lace?

-------------
I'm bipolar, I have multiple personalities and I have anger issues, I would suggest that you dont fcuk with me.

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:03pm
No its right on my hairline...should I push it back?

Yes she did a great job at cutting it!

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by starliteboo starliteboo wrote:

Is this a human or syntheic lace wig? Is there a reason why the part doesn't start at the edge of the lace?

Its human...I noticed that this lace isnt the kind that I'm used to seeing...it doesn't melt into the skin or blend in..its rather thick..even when pressed on my scalp you can see it.

Posted By: Bre.
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:14pm
Is the hair parted all the way to the edge?  And it looks like it is "floating"...

Is this KS?  I do love the cut, she did a great job.

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:15pm

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Bre. Bre. wrote:

Is the hair parted all the way to the edge?  And it looks like it is "floating"...

Is this KS?  I do love the cut, she did a great job.

Yes it's all the way to the edge. I'm still learning the lace wig lingo...what's floating and KS?

Posted By: Bre.
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:31pm
When the front of the wig is lifted a bit and not on the top of the forehead, the second set of pictures don't show that but, it looked like it in the first.  It looks good, just make sure you brush the hair back to cover the wefts.  The wefts are visible in the first and second picture.  If you don't feel as though the part is wide enough you can pluck the part with tweezers.  Congrats on your wig!  You'll get the hang of it in no time! 

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Bre. Bre. wrote:

When the front of the wig is lifted a bit and not on the top of the forehead, the second set of pictures don't show that but, it looked like it in the first.  It looks good, just make sure you brush the hair back to cover the wefts.  The wefts are visible in the first and second picture.  If you don't feel as though the part is wide enough you can pluck the part with tweezers.  Congrats on your wig!  You'll get the hang of it in no time! 

Great...woohoo!..thanks! I'll take your advise and do that.

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:47pm
Your going to have to tweeze it into perfection.Love the cut though.

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: Lwhite1960
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:52pm
Wait a second, you have not glued that unit down. Did you just put it on like a regular wig?If, not it looks like it is just sitting on your head. Please try using Got2BeGlued - spiking gel as an adhesive in front of your hairline not on your hairline.  Also wear a wig cap in your shade. I think you will love the results.

-------------
New Resolution
(X)Endure Chemo -DONE,
(X)Radiation - DONE
(X)Hormone Therapy -5 year countdown has begun.
(X) Reversal of this chemo enduced Heart failure- started
(X)"Surviving"!
DAMN STRAIGHT!

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Lwhite1960 Lwhite1960 wrote:

Wait a second, you have not glued that unit down. Did you just put it on like a regular wig?If, not it looks like it is just sitting on your head. Please try using Got2BeGlued - spiking gel as an adhesive in front of your hairline not on your hairline.  Also wear a wig cap in your shade. I think you will love the results.

Urm...yes I did Confused.
I've had probs with glue and tape..I'll look into the got2beglued...I gotta get this right for tonight!

Ya'll are very helpful! Smile

Posted By: starliteboo
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by JazziAce JazziAce wrote:

Originally posted by starliteboo starliteboo wrote:

Its human...I noticed that this lace isnt the kind that I'm used to seeing...it doesn't melt into the skin or blend in..its rather thick..even when pressed on my scalp you can see it.
Where did you purchase this wig? I know you said its human but the lace does not look like its laying as flat as it should. And in the close up shots I noticed that there are tracks showing in the back of the wig. How is you natural hair styled under the wig? Maybe that's why it isnt laying perfectly flat. You natural hair maybe braided in a bulkly pattern.

-------------
I'm bipolar, I have multiple personalities and I have anger issues, I would suggest that you dont fcuk with me.

Posted By: LovilyLocs
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 4:30pm
There are a few things you could do to improve the illusion which is what lacefronts attempts to create. Tweeze a few of the hairs around the hairline of the part.  I think that's why people think the lace doesn't begin there.  The hairs laying in the part area makes it look dark. 
Next pull the wig down a little more so that it's taunt in the crown area.  The knots are showing in the crown which means it not laying flat against the wig cap which creates the illusion of scalp.

Third add a little concealer or eyeshadow in a color close to the part color to better define the part.

Love the cut!

Posted By: chatnoir
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:02am
Another thing you can try to hide the grid is to use a silicon gel sheet at the part.  Scroll down to see Sexi's post.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/ways-of-creating-natural-scalp-appearance-on-lw_topic320008_page2.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/ways-of-creating-natural-scalp-appearance-on-lw_topic320008_page2.html

-------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever" - Gandhi

Posted By: Becky
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 2:38pm
I agree with the other girls - this my input though.

The hair itself whether it is KS, or whatever is secondary to the install. It's the hairline and the 'part' that is always the focus because that's how you can tell it it's a wig. Umm in this case .. it looks like a wig that you set up on your head. Reasons...

- the 'part' is too dense. There is hardly any 'scalp' showing so you need to tweeze the part .. a lot
- the unit appears to be 'floating' on your head .. like the unit is not flat to your head. You need glue and tape to really 'install' the unit. 
- when the hair on your forehead ends - right away .. you see your smooth skin. This is not natural. You need to create a transition between the two  - meaning creating baby hairs of some sort. The way you get the baby hairs (make them quite short and thin) lay down is with a touch of adhesive
- When I see the close up .. I see the grids and then I see your black hair peeking through the grids. You need to utilize one of the many way to disguise this. The one way is the Colban self adhesive strips  - but there are many ways. You have to get rid of those grids though.
- I see where the weft begins too so this is not a Full Lace wig. A  full lace wig does not have wefts. They hand tie the knots all over the unit. So you need to somehow disguise the weft showing like it does
- In one pic I see you have applied makeup to the 'part' but this makes the color of your 'scalp' a different 'hue' than the color of your skin - so it looks odd. This is a difficult thing to achieve actually

Anyway, I am not trying to be hard on you Smile - I am just telling you what I see ... so that you can correct or improve your apllication.

Hey,we all had to start somewhere so keep plugging .. you will get there!  Tongue

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Becky Becky wrote:

I agree with the other girls - this my input though.

The hair itself whether it is KS, or whatever is secondary to the install. It's the hairline and the 'part' that is always the focus because that's how you can tell it it's a wig. Umm in this case .. it looks like a wig that you set up on your head. Reasons...

- the 'part' is too dense. There is hardly any 'scalp' showing so you need to tweeze the part .. a lot
- the unit appears to be 'floating' on your head .. like the unit is not flat to your head. You need glue and tape to really 'install' the unit. 
- when the hair on your forehead ends - right away .. you see your smooth skin. This is not natural. You need to create a transition between the two  - meaning creating baby hairs of some sort. The way you get the baby hairs (make them quite short and thin) lay down is with a touch of adhesive
- When I see the close up .. I see the grids and then I see your black hair peeking through the grids. You need to utilize one of the many way to disguise this. The one way is the Colban self adhesive strips  - but there are many ways. You have to get rid of those grids though.
- I see where the weft begins too so this is not a Full Lace wig. A  full lace wig does not have wefts. They hand tie the knots all over the unit. So you need to somehow disguise the weft showing like it does
- In one pic I see you have applied makeup to the 'part' but this makes the color of your 'scalp' a different 'hue' than the color of your skin - so it looks odd. This is a difficult thing to achieve actually

Anyway, I am not trying to be hard on you Smile - I am just telling you what I see ... so that you can correct or improve your apllication.

Hey,we all had to start somewhere so keep plugging .. you will get there!  Tongue

Oh no no..I appreciate the responses Smile I want to get this right. This has turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be. I'm studying and doing more reading than I am for my last bachelor's degree class...LOL
I have a very broad line of demarcation where the lace ends and where my skin is..I used the sally hansen to hide the knots..I'm thinking that this is where my problem with the hairline is coming from because like you said too, the color is off. as for the part..yes I've been plucking and almost put a hole in the unit. I left it alone last night...got a bit frustrated and will be back at it again shortly.

As for the floating I think this unit might be too large?..well it fits around my head but the sides (where my ears are) it comes past my ears. I dont know how to cornrow so I two strand twist my hair and bobby pin them down as tight as I can. But I am going to tape or glue this unit down all the way to see if this makes a difference too....yes it is a lace front. I had been advised to use Got2b which I picked up last night...after reading about it this seems like it's pretty easy to use.
Big smile
Sooooo..here I go again..lemme get to plucking!

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:47pm
So I have the hairline down..I'm still getting that broad line of demarcation..this is irritating. I'm on the verge of just wearing this lace front with a cap.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 4:28pm
Hi Jazzi,

Have you been able to tone down the color of the lace in the part a bit?  Try a color that will tone down the orange, that will help with the line of demarcation between where your part ends and your skin begins at the hairline. 

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by chatnoir chatnoir wrote:

Hi Jazzi,

Have you been able to tone down the color of the lace in the part a bit?  Try a color that will tone down the orange, that will help with the line of demarcation between where your part ends and your skin begins at the hairline. 

ok...I THINK I have it now...lemme upload these pics...give me about 10 mins.
boy I'm tired..lol.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:00pm
ok...so I didn't tape or glue the unit down because I've been taking it off and on...so it may still appear to be floating..??? I noticed that I can still see the grid...I was gonna try the silicon sheets tomorrow.
I changed the part about 2-3 times. I added in a mixture of consealer and some old liquid foundation that I had on the inside part of the lace front. Soooo...???

*fingers crossed*

Posted By: lillydee69
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:15pm
it does look much better.. did you tweeze and what glue did you use? thanks,,,

Posted By: shannelle
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:22pm
the part definitely looks better,good job!

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by lillydee69 lillydee69 wrote:

it does look much better.. did you tweeze and what glue did you use? thanks,,,
I did but I think I need to tweeze a little more.
I used Got2b spiking gel to test it out...it held pretty good and then I wiped it off with soap water and a towel and continued with the wig,

Posted By: elisa
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:36pm
Much better; good job.

I use clear surgical tape to create my natural part. Same method Meechie use in the following YT videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWOHGRUIQ6Q" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWOHGRUIQ6Q

How to create a natural part on a lace wig part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXXn3u3UkE" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zXXn3u3UkE

How to create a natural part in a lace wig part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfzufZtmng" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcfzufZtmng

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:47pm
Great..thanks Elisa I'll check those links now

Posted By: Becky
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 1:09am
Hi, indeed the install looks much better!

Look at Meechie's videos though - she has good applications and techniques - see her short baby hairs in the different applications in her videos.

I knew you'd get it! Tongue

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 3:08pm
Looks great! I knew you'd get it!

-------------

Posted By: Lwhite1960
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 6:37pm
Well done! What a big difference. I swear by Got2BeGlued. FYI water without soap will remove the unit. I take mine off every night and let my scalp breathe. Good luck on your degree.

-------------
New Resolution
(X)Endure Chemo -DONE,
(X)Radiation - DONE
(X)Hormone Therapy -5 year countdown has begun.
(X) Reversal of this chemo enduced Heart failure- started
(X)"Surviving"!
DAMN STRAIGHT!

Posted By: ATAYLOR
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 9:34pm
That looks so much better cute hair

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 9:45pm
Just strolling through, Happy New Year everyone.

I just wanted to say it's really cool how everyone came in to help in a NICE way! 
The advice given was on POINT, and op your application is improving! 

It does take practice, and patience, and your attitude was great, non-defensive, and best of all, your pics allowed these ladies to give good advice.

I was going to say use tweezers to thin the hairline a lot more, not just at the part, but all around the hairline, all the way around to the front of your ears.  If you part a very thin amount all around the hairline, and tweeze behind that area, and then comb the hair back, you will see a gradual progression that will help to decrease the bulky look.  And don't be afraid to cut the lace around your ears to make the wig fit YOUR head better. 

Print Page | Close Window