Print Page | Close Window

Hollywood on Kerry Washington

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352685
Printed Date: Nov 17 2018 at 12:15pm

Topic: Hollywood on Kerry Washington
Posted By: krisviola1
Subject: Hollywood on Kerry Washington
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:31am
Do you think Hollywood is taking it too far with the "pretty black girl" thing on Kerry Washington?  She's a fabulous actress, and I loved her in Last King of Scotland.

But after seeing her this weekend as just the pretty, voiceless lead, I don't know.  And I haven't seen Scandal really enough to tell.

-------------
Natural, 3B, fine strand, med density BSL

Replies:
Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:35am
Originally posted by krisviola1 krisviola1 wrote:

Do you think Hollywood is taking it too far with the "pretty black girl" thing on Kerry Washington?  She's a fabulous actress, and I loved her in Last King of Scotland.

But after seeing her this weekend as just the pretty, voiceless lead, I don't know.  And I haven't seen Scandal really enough to tell.

Do you mean Hollywood would prefer attractive black women  to be props rather than showcase their acting skills?

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:36am
Do you think Hollywood is taking it too far with the "pretty black girl" thing on Kerry Washington? 

I don't know what you're referring to 

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:43am
No, I don't think that at all. I don't think there is such a niche in Hollywood known as "pretty black girl." She's not a fabulous actress. I've seen both seasons of Scandal...She looks best when she's just smiling a little. When she acts she contorts her face in all types of ways. That may be natural for her but it is weird to watch.

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:46am
I need to catch Scandal online or something.

I've missed every episode, and I hear its pretty good. Even my guy friends are raving about it.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:58am
Yea, she's a terrible 'facial' actress.
Those faces seem so forced and fake to me... makes me feel like she can't act at all

Idk why i don't find her very attractive. It's hard for me to "get" why she's an "it" girl (other than the way she carries herself)... i just don't get it

but to each his/her own

Originally posted by teendiva teendiva wrote:

No, I don't think that at all. I don't think there is such a niche in Hollywood known as "pretty black girl." She's not a fabulous actress. I've seen both seasons of Scandal...She looks best when she's just smiling a little. When she acts she contorts her face in all types of ways. That may be natural for her but it is weird to watch.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:59am
I thought people liked her for her "style"

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:03am
All these "quotations".

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:05am
Originally posted by PRnena PRnena wrote:

All these "quotations".

LOL

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Posted By: Babydoll9163
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:07am
I don't understand the question. She's not exactly upheld or honored in Hollywood and don't we get upset they don't look for black women as the attractive lead? I think her being the "pretty girl" in Hollywood's eyes is a step forward.

-------------
Stupid ppl are like a unicorn. They too do not exist. They are just liberated... liberated from knowledge. -nycdiva

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:11am

All these "quotations".

I just "noticed" that. ""

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:11am
I like to "emphasize" my words Smile
Got a problem with that? Angry

All these "quotations".

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:21am
She may have had her cheeks nose and lips done......may that why she makes those "faces".

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:23am
do you mean that she's the go to black girl for Hollywood?

I don't plan on seeing "Django" but I was really disappointed to hear that she wasn't prominently featured in the movie like I thought

i love her, I do, but those facial expressions sometimes LOL

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: krisviola1
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

I don't understand the question. She's not exactly upheld or honored in Hollywood and don't we get upset they don't look for black women as the attractive lead? I think her being the "pretty girl" in Hollywood's eyes is a step forward.

This is a good point.  But in Django, she seemed to be a stand in only because of her nice looks.

-------------
Natural, 3B, fine strand, med density BSL

Posted By: iNFATUATE
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 10:58am

Yes! I'm always complaining about this. It just makes everything she does seem so terribly contrived.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

She may have had her cheeks nose and lips done......may that why she makes those "faces".

But wouldn't that make her face stiffer? She has flexible facial muscles She moves her face in ways that look like it hurts. I can't do any of those faces she makes.

-------------
-My dude Emerson

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 11:14am
Originally posted by iNFATUATE iNFATUATE wrote:

Yes! I'm always complaining about this. It just makes everything she does seem so terribly contrived.

Yep she scrunches her eyebrows and lips when she's thinking, "ok now I have to look like I'm sad/angry/shocked"

-------------
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 11:16am

-------------

Posted By: greenttby
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 12:38pm

Yes, this! I saw her interview with oprah and she is pose, intelligent, and has great style. I fell in love with her during that interview...but those facial expressions on scandal.ConfusedOuch

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I like to "emphasize" my words Smile
Got a problem with that? Angry

All these "quotations".

"Yes"

""

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by greenttby greenttby wrote:

Yes, this! I saw her interview with oprah and she is pose, intelligent, and has great style. I fell in love with her during that interview...but those facial expressions on scandal.ConfusedOuch

yup cant stand those

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 12:59pm
i've just gotten used to it i guess

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 12:59pm

Yea, she's a terrible 'facial' actress.
Those faces seem so forced and fake to me... makes me feel like she can't act at all

Idk why i don't find her very attractive. It's hard for me to "get" why she's an "it" girl (other than the way she carries herself)... i just don't get it

but to each his/her own

Yeah I've never been wow'd by her to either to be quite honest.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 1:42pm
kerry is a powerhouse on scandal, not a pretty face. her role in django was weird and unworthy of her talent IMO. they could have used anyone for that part. no comparison. 

-------------
shine your light for the world to see

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 1:43pm
i have loved kerry since "save the last dance" LOL

-------------
shine your light for the world to see

Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

She was in save the last dance?Confused That's my movie. Who was she in the movie?

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by kkscottdale kkscottdale wrote:

Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

She was in save the last dance?Confused That's my movie. Who was she in the movie?

Kerry played the sister to whats-his-face. She damn near stole that movie! and that was her 1st movie i think 

Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:36pm
Damn, I didn't even realize that. Thanks, zolloh!

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:47pm
I don't think they are taking it too far.

I am a Kerry stans though. Love me some Kerry.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:49pm
I loved Kerry in Our Song.

But before Scandal, she, Joy Bryant and Zoe Saldana may as well have been the same actress.

-------------
Life is good!

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:51pm
Now, Joy Bryant and Zoe Saldana, i thought were the same LOL

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 3:08pm
i dont like kerry's lips. dem some weird lookin puckers.

-------------
Come take my hand and lets go Nala-land, where all your sexiest dreams will come true!

Posted By: lollypop036
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 3:41pm
I always thought she was stunning
never noticed the face thing

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 3:47pm
I haven't seen enough of her to judge her overall talent but she was great in King of Scotland. Never noticed the facial contortions folks are talking about. She's a very pretty girl, although it always seemed to me like her head was a tad too big compared to the rest of her body (I know, I'm nitpicking. She's a celebrity, so I'm allowed). Still very pretty though

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 3:51pm
i like her face contortions. lol. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

But before Scandal, she, Joy Bryant and Zoe Saldana may as well have been the same actress.
"Gurrrl!"DeadLOL

Anywho she's a brown "skinteded" actress making it in Hollywood, I won't complain too much.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 4:09pm
who's Joy Bryant?  *goes to google*

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 4:11pm
which reminds me...*makes new thread*

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 4:38pm
i'm happy there are more black actresses on tv

-------------
"It's ignorant to try to invalidate someone else's experience because it hasn't happened to you yet."

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 5:43pm
She does make noticeable facial expressions. I think she is talented. Either way its nice to see one of "us" making it.

-------------
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 5:46pm
I tried to get into Scandal but I just can't and her face expressions are "odd" in that show. 

-------------
yo

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

who's Joy Bryant?  *goes to google*

the American version of Zoe Saldana

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Alex Urameshi
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

what?! I love zoe!

-------------

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:23pm
Let me break this sh*t down for you Sleepy

The White guys I know who choose Black female actresses and singers to worship choose those that have looks and/or behaviors that are as close to Caucasian-like as possible.

I know a blonde haired/blue-eyed dude who thinks Aisha Tyler is the bees knees.  He thinks she's the type of Black women (he's never been with one before, btw) that he could "crossover" with.  He would LOVE Kerry Washington too; I always wondered if he ever saw "Scandal" cuz that nuccuh would be skeet skeet skeeting all over his screen to how, if you close your eyes while she's talking, you'd swear she was White.

They also like Beyonce, but moreso on a looks basis because that deep fried southern accent and all that booty (plus the fact that she's not dating a White guy, nor has she been known to) throws 'em.

They think these chicks are crossover property--that Black chick that's not Bonquisha ghetto-looking/acting, that doesn't have a wide nose, that's not (excuse the term) bowling ball Black, doesn't have a big intimidating booty or wide hips, but still has enough of a curve for them to feel they're all up in the jungle fever territory, and living on the wild side of the mocha-latte.

White men will accept her (especially after seeing "Scandal", and seeing how she got down with that White man...especially that scene in season 2 when he growled at her to take her clothes off and she hit us all with the WHAM BAM POW beautiful caramel-skinned body that was all toned and could put a White chick hitting the gym on the regular to shame) and think she's "gorgeous" not just because she's pretty, but also because she's presentable enough to them to take out into public without feeling like they got a Fantasia on their arm that will say/act like an inner-city BAP that will open her mouth and damn near shock the hell out of a room full of gaspable Whities.

They feel "safe" with her.

I weren't even shawked to see she was with a White dude when I wiki'd her behind.  I'm sure they throw themselves at her feet.

That's the type of woman White America wishes all Black women could look/act like, trust.

Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:28pm
CryLOLDead
It throws Black people too Stern Smile

ETA: IA w/everything else except her "sounding white" (I don't hear it?) Confused

Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

They also like Beyonce, but moreso on a looks basis because that deep fried southern accent and all that booty (plus the fact that she's not dating a White guy, nor has she been known to) throws 'em.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:28pm
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:30pm
Clearly White men (and women) prefer "white girl dipped in chocolate" Black girls

They appeal to them both physically and intellectually

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:32pm
hmmm thats why Zoe Saldana's career is "hot" right now...y'all know that girl cant really act, but she's "acceptable" so she gets these many roles...and dating Brad Cooper was an added bonus LOL

Posted By: dee1672
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:33pm
The OP's question, without any supporting background information or basis to the question, reminds me of those 'my hair is on the way, ill post pictures when it comes' threads in the weave section. Stern Smile

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

hmmm thats why Zoe Saldana's career is "hot" right now...y'all know that girl cant really act, but she's "acceptable" so she gets these many roles...and dating Brad Cooper was an added bonus LOL
Absolutely.

Kerry Washington doesn't sound white but she sounds "valley".
She sounds like she's from NYC.
Actually...I don't know.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 7:23pm
Aisha Tyler is awesome, she's repping for the nerdy black girls.
I could see how someone would think Kerry talks white. I don't believe in that but I'm not surprised.
I never thought of them appealing to white dudes but I guess they do...

-------------
-My dude Emerson

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 7:26pm

Clearly White men (and women) prefer "white girl dipped in chocolate" Black girls

Kerry = white girl dipped in chocolate? And did you mean mentally as opposed to intellectually? Actually, idk if I really wanna know

-------------
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 7:42pm
Kerry is ugly and so is her friend Taraji, so I don't know wth your talking about imho.

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 7:44pm
Kerry is a good actress, I have followed her career from the beginning. Her cheeks and lips have always been the same, the only difference is that she is a lot skinnier these days than earlier in her career. She has also had the same facial expressions. If you do not like them don't watch her. With so few black women in leading rows on TV we really must stop being so picky. I watch this board just pick away at black women like it is a sport. I use to argue with friends when they would say black women are angry, because I am not an angry person. But now I can see why some would think that we are. Are we ever satisfied?....The chosen black woman is either, to light, talks white, to big, to skinny, shaped like a boy, butt not big enough, butt to big, not educated enough, to many kids and on and on and on........Quentin wrote the movie and that is how he wrote the female part and she took the part. It is not like there are dozens of roles being offered to black women in film. Yes she is on TV but she is a movie actress

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

Kerry is a good actress, I have followed her career from the beginning. Her cheeks and lips have always been the same, the only difference is that she is a lot skinnier these days than earlier in her career. She has also had the same facial expressions. If you do not like them don't watch her. With so few black women in leading rows on TV we really must stop being so picky. I watch this board just pick away at black women like it is a sport. I use to argue with friends when they would say black women are angry, because I am not an angry person. But now I can see why some would think that we are. Are we ever satisfied?....The chosen black woman is either, to light, talks white, to big, to skinny, shaped like a boy, butt not big enough, butt to big, not educated enough, to many kids and on and on and on........Quentin wrote the movie and that is how he wrote the female part and she took the part. It is not like there are dozens of roles being offered to black women in film. Yes she is on TV but she is a movie actress

Lol Who's being picky? In fact, a lot of people have said they watch (therefore supporting) her work, despite her acting. Sounds like you just wanted to call folks angry black women.

-------------
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: princesshoneybee
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by indiecat indiecat wrote:

i'm happy there are more black actresses on tv

Really I feel like there are less. We have little black programming left imo. We used to have the cosby show, in living color, a different world and a lot more black tv shows that were more quality

Posted By: princesshoneybee
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:42pm

I could see how someone would think Kerry talks white. I don't believe in that but I'm not surprised.

People who say she talks white are trash. It's called being educated, that's the problem with many blacks today. They embrace and foster ignorance

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 11:51pm

what is white girl dipped in chocolate? Am I the only one who finds that offensive and weird! Black women are diverse we are not going to let anyone define us anymore... WE define ourselves

I dont think of KW as being white... I think she is trying hard to maintian a career in an industry that consistanly denies her existance (she is a hard worker and a Good actress)

SHE HATE ME~ 

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 12:35am

Confused

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 12:43am
and here come the coons

Posted By: SweetNovember*
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 12:51am
I was gonna say my piece in this thread but it looks like feelings have already gotten involved so I'll stay out of it. Y'all be gettin too emotional. Ouch

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 12:55am
I'm reporting everyone that used quotations incorrectly. 

-------------

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 5:34am
i like kerry. i wonder why loreal dropped her

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 10:11am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

I was gonna say my piece in this thread but it looks like feelings have already gotten involved so I'll stay out of it. Y'all be gettin too emotional. Ouch

Although you're prob a troll, you make a good point. It seems like emotion>>>>> making "discussion" pointless. It also means that it is unacceptable to critique an ACTRESS on her....acting but A-OK to imply that people are angry black women. We got an 80+ pg thread dissecting a rapper's random gf but nothing can be said about Ms Kerry?

So this is what "stans" are like. Stan = silly ass fan.
Sheit I hope someone sits Kerry down and tells her to stop doung facial acrobatics so we can enjoy her work. Plus this thread was tame and lighthearted for the most part. It wasn't til the end that she got called ugly and white. Still, those are opinions and that does NOT make someone an angry black woman. No one said "down with Kerry Washington " No one said they hate that she is the "chosen black woman" either. so why Veewhack come out of nowhere sounding like a poor woman's Yoda callin folks angry black women? Folks must be thinking with their emotions or hormones or somethin bc they certainly aint using their brains.

And this is why we can't have nice threads.

-------------
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: jacy_babi
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 1:23pm

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 3:15pm
Kerry will always have my respect.

She's educated, articulate, and is killing the game on TV for African American women with Scandal. Sure she's not the best actress to ever hit the TV screen (her facial expressions bothered me as well) but she plays all of her parts well. What is more is that she's a positive representation outside of her acting roles (cue Bill Maher shut down regarding Affirmative Action).

I only hope that her success will help to usher in the talents of even more black women on mainstream television, as it has for Megan good (though the politics of that may be questionable).

Posted By: lollypop036
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by princesshoneybee princesshoneybee wrote:

People who say she talks white are trash. It's called being educated, that's the problem with many blacks today. They embrace and foster ignorance
I don't think people always mean it that way, as if white people sound more educated
imo you can guess someones ethnicity hearing them speak by the tone of their voice, not their dialect
that said i don't think kerry sounds white

Print Page | Close Window