Print Page | Close Window

Natural hair staples?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Growth
Forum Description: Hair Growth issues, solutions, and discussions.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352670
Printed Date: Oct 15 2018 at 8:13am

Topic: Natural hair staples?
Posted By: SweetNovember*
Subject: Natural hair staples?
Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 8:05pm
What's in your stash that you would recommend to a new natural?

Tools, oils, moisturizers, sealants, commercial products?

What products can't you do without?

Replies:
Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 8:13pm
i swear by:

exhibit A
http://picturepush.com/public/11783560" rel="nofollow">

exhibit B

http://picturepush.com/public/11783567" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 8:18pm
I have that exact same gel lol. I saw it on youtube. I just tried it last night. I'm gonna give myself a break from weaves for about two weeks so I'm wearing a high bun. I need to look into some seamless combs though. My hair always grows so much when I stretch using weaves. Tthis time I will see it through. Thanks tatee.

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 10:41pm
Invest in good quality natural oils, you can start with COA: Coconut, Olive or Avocado oil. Cold pressed and unrefined are best.

Good moisturizers: Cantu shea butter leave in (for those on a budget) but my pick would be Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie honestly any product from Shea moisture. the shampoos, conditioners etc.

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Ouchless clips

Scarf with silk on the inside

Conditioning bags

Hair Steamer (for those who can afford it)

Comfortable headbands.

A good quality hair vitamin

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Posted By: RedSoxtober
Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 11:05pm
This coconut oil has been wonderful for my hair, skin, and nails. Can't go without it!!!

Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 11:49pm
Thanks, guys! You have no idea how much help you are!

*adds items to shopping cart*

Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 11:59pm
You are welcomed Sweetnovember!

@redSoxtober I love me some coconut oil, and I have a good one, BUUUT I am looking the one you posted up and order it next when I run out. I like to try different ones, although the one you list is not cold pressed, they do use medium heat. But I like to try different ones. Thanks!

This is the brand I am using right now, I picked it up at Marshalls for 9.99, I think.

Also the shower detangling comb by CONAIR is a good investment if you cannot purchase a seamless comb right away. This is not advertised as seamless but the one I purchased is, I checked it and it has not seam lines. This is a good comb to have and it is very inexpensive. 1.69 on Amazon and 3.99 in Walmart or CVS.

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Posted By: LustNoLove35
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 12:49am
Argan oil hair mask! In the brown fat jar

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:03am
Originally posted by SweetNovember* SweetNovember* wrote:

Thanks, guys! You have no idea how much help you are!

*adds items to shopping cart*

Sweet, dont go out buying a bunch stuff, for now use what you have and make it work for you.  its much better to take the time and learn techniques, proper moisturizing and sealing methods, combing/detangling, washing, protecting ends and protective styling. finding what your staples are will come with time and learning more about your hair needs.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 6:46am
Oooh but overnight I just ordered a BUNCH of oils. I'm gonna pause before I get anything else though because I need to be on a budget.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 7:34am

Oooh but overnight I just ordered a BUNCH of oils. I'm gonna pause before I get anything else though because I need to be on a budget.

LOL damn your fast.  its ok because you will use the oils and can mix them with products to make them work better.  add a few drops of oil with the aloe vera and it will give you a nice hold as well as moisturizing your hair and body.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 9:56am

Awesome natural oils are very important to use daily. For these reasons: They can easily become rancid from seating on your shelf after months. When this happens you cannot always tells, sometimes the oil will start to smell different, become cloudy or change some other way, sometimes you will not notice a difference. So use your oils daily. Also daily use will stimulate your own natural sebum production and this helps you to achieve your maximum growth rate per month. Oils also add shine and strength to your hair. I have a thread in the Hair growth section which I have listed a lot of good information about different types of oils and their benefits look up "Oiling your scalp daily" if you have not seen it already.

So you say your are on a budget? If you need further help I create hair regimen budgets for people on a budget or those who want to go all out. I  customize it based on your needs. Actually most of the stuff I use is not expensive and most of the items I listed, besides the steamer, you can purchase for less than $50. Keep in mind that these items do not have to be purchased every month, I use stuff that last me at least 3 months or more. The thing I purchase  more than twice a year is olive oil and coconut oil because I use them daily for my hair, cooking and my body. Also because they do have a shorter shelf life. Natural products need to be used and not stored for long periods.

If you need anymore help, feel free to inbox me anytime. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: RedAdmiral101
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:08pm
My staples

•safflower & castor oil mixed together (50:50 ratio)
•crisco-can not live without this!!!
•black soap-I make my own shampoo
•aloe vera juice-helps me with moisture retention
•Yes To Carrots body butter-a new favorite of mine
•Silkience conditioner from dollar tree (silicone free)-just the right consistency & slip

http://nappturallynessa101.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:17pm
Thanks again! Yeah I hope I can use all the oils I bought before they go bad. I think I'll be freezing them if that helps. At least I got that out of the way. Pretty soon I can work on moisture, protein, styling tool, etc.

I just hate the way my hair feels right now even though it's growing. I'm so eager to treat it right and find the right balance. I want soft hair that shines just like the youtubers. Cry

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:42pm

Thanks again! Yeah I hope I can use all the oils I bought before they go bad. I think I'll be freezing them if that helps. At least I got that out of the way. Pretty soon I can work on moisture, protein, styling tool, etc.

I just hate the way my hair feels right now even though it's growing. I'm so eager to treat it right and find the right balance. I want soft hair that shines just like the youtubers. Cry

And that hair can be yours also. It starts with a good cleansing routine and great deep conditioning. On a weekly basis, styling products work best on clean hair. The same as with applying makeup to a clean face. The cantu shea butter leave in conditioner will make your hair soft, but it will build up if you are not washing your hair weekly. I alternate b/n Cantu shea butter leave in, afro stretch creme and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie for my leave in and  styling. Out of all you need good moisture products because moisturized hair creates the best styles.

-------------

Posted By: tmrockville
Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 3:02pm
I'm a PJ so it's hard for me to narrow down but I would say I can't do without:
Peppermint oil
Steamer
Shea Moisture (shampoos and deep conditioners)
QB detangling ghee
Henna
Coconut oil
Rhassoul clay

My hair is prone to dryness and breakage and these seem to help a lot.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

You are welcomed Sweetnovember!

@redSoxtober I love me some coconut oil, and I have a good one, BUUUT I am looking the one you posted up and order it next when I run out. I like to try different ones, although the one you list is not cold pressed, they do use medium heat. But I like to try different ones. Thanks!

This is the brand I am using right now, I picked it up at Marshalls for 9.99, I think.

Also the shower detangling comb by CONAIR is a good investment if you cannot purchase a seamless comb right away. This is not advertised as seamless but the one I purchased is, I checked it and it has not seam lines. This is a good comb to have and it is very inexpensive. 1.69 on Amazon and 3.99 in Walmart or CVS.

The VCO I postsed is the Whole Foods brand. It's a 14oz jaor for about $7. I also have that shower comb. It's not seamless, but it works fairly well.

Date Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 4:14pm
My conair comb like this has no seams. Got it from CVS. I think for 3.89 give or take. I finger comb though, I rarely use a comb or brush.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 9:24pm

A few more. WATER, EXCERCISE,  DIET. These are the big three for keeping your hair and overall health in top shape.  No amount of growth aids, oils and condtioners will help if you don't take care of yourself from the inside out.

Date Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 2:50am
I went to Walmart tonight and bought some conditioners I've seen recommended online by natural hair gurus--Hello Hydration, Tresemme Naturals, and Pantene Relaxed and Natural. I got the Cantu Grow Strong, some ACV, and Crisco. I also got some sulfate free shampoo. I can't wait to use it. My hair is never soft. It's always grown well but it's always dry and stiff unless I do a roller set or flat iron.

Some of the things I had on my list including some recommendations from this thread weren't at Walmart so I'll have to get them from my BSS or online.

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 5:24am

I went to Walmart tonight and bought some conditioners I've seen recommended online by natural hair gurus--Hello Hydration, Tresemme Naturals, and Pantene Relaxed and Natural. I got the Cantu Grow Strong, some ACV, and Crisco. I also got some sulfate free shampoo. I can't wait to use it. My hair is never soft. It's always grown well but it's always dry and stiff unless I do a roller set or flat iron.

Some of the things I had on my list including some recommendations from this thread weren't at Walmart so I'll have to get them from my BSS or online.

SN, i see the path youre heading on and all i can do is hold the door for youLOL

Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 10:08am

Did you get the cantu shea butter leave in conditioner? That is a good one because you need a good leave in. What is the Cantu grow strong?.... Make all your shampoos sulfate free. Opt for conditioner washes unless you use the crisco or other heavy products. If you use natural oil like the olive oil or coconut oil they are better than crisco and not as heavy. Since you know the roller sets work for you keep doing those weekly and create you a personal challenge of doing roller sets. Open a roller set challenge here if you need encouragement and other ideals for roller sets, that would be fun. Did you trim your ends any lately, since you are starting your journey? Trim to keep your ends from becoming to thin. I see lots of people with 4 inches of thin ends. Your ends may be thin some but you do not want several inches of thin ends. Just something to be aware of as your journey continues. I will be more than happy to help you with any question I can answer, inbox me anytime. Smile Blessings!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 12:00am
Lol @ tatee.

Veemack I already have the Leave-in. I saw the Grow Strong recommended as a mousturizer on another site. I think it was blackhair101.com. The first three ingredients are water, shea butter, and glycerine.

I HATE roller setting my hair. Maybe I am just slow but it takes hours. I'd rather stay weaved up or wear ponytails. I think my ends are fine though. They still look really full but the last trim I had was in Feb.

Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by SweetNovember*<br><br>Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.<br>

[/QUOTE SweetNovember*

Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.
[/QUOTE wrote:

i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i e

i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i either know im about to clarify or if im about to straighten my hair.  its just easier for me to remember.
here are some sulfate free clarifying shampoos, ive never used any: http://www.thefind.com/beauty/info-sulfate-free-clarifying-shampoo" rel="nofollow - sfc-shampoo

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 7:33am

Lol @ tatee.

Veemack I already have the Leave-in. I saw the Grow Strong recommended as a mousturizer on another site. I think it was blackhair101.com. The first three ingredients are water, shea butter, and glycerine.

I HATE roller setting my hair. Maybe I am just slow but it takes hours. I'd rather stay weaved up or wear ponytails. I think my ends are fine though. They still look really full but the last trim I had was in Feb.

Clarifying shampoo and cleansers are only strong shampoos that have a larger amount of sulfates in them and other harsh cleansing agents to remove dirt and grime from your hair strands. What goes on the hair that doesn't change the protein bonds will always come back off the hair. Including silicones, always remember this. So if you are cleansing your hair on a weekly basis there will not be build up. The scalp is easy to clean also. The higher the amount of sulfates and detergents the higher the PH, when the PH gets out of 7 range, then you need to really add moisture back into your hair in large amounts. So if you choose to clarify add lots of moisture back....

I do not run from silicones, but I do not use them on a weekly basis. When I do, I find that regular sulfate shampoo removes them from my hair but keep in mind I shampoo once or twice a week. The silicones do not penetrate the hair shaft they stick on top of the hair shaft, so they can easily be washed off......I also use a herbal mudd wash to cleanse my hair strands to give it that extra cleanse without stripping the hair. This stuff is amazing.

-------------

Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 3:59pm
hm...i'm not sure. if i had to say based off what i routinely buy, it would be mane n tail condish. but i don't use it that often. 

-------------
4 inches to BSB!
**SL reached June 2013**
Check out my blog at http://thegrowthexperience.blogspot.com

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by SweetNovember*<br><br>Do y'all use silicones? And do you clarify? Do they make sulfate free clarifying shampoos? Since I will have everything I need now I wanted to start with a clean slate by clarifying. TIA everyone.<br>

</td></tr></table><br>i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i either know im about to clarify or if im about to straighten my hair.  its just easier for me to remember. <br>here are some sulfate free clarifying shampoos, ive never used any: <font color='#0000FF'>http://www.thefind.com/beauty/info-sulfate-free-clarifying-shampoo rel=nofollow</font> - sfc-shampoo <br>[/QUOTE SweetNovember*

i dont have a problem with silicones its just annoying remembering that you have to clarify a few weeks afterward.  so lately what ive been doing  since i like to use what i own is, i will use silicone products when i either know im about to clarify or if im about to straighten my hair.  its just easier for me to remember.
here are some sulfate free clarifying shampoos, ive never used any: http://www.thefind.com/beauty/info-sulfate-free-clarifying-shampoo rel=nofollow - sfc-shampoo
[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks so much! I see the Aveeno one is at Walgreens. I wonder if the sulfate free clarifying shampoos remove silicones? I want to see if I can cut out sulfates completely. I still have so much to learn. I want to try different regimens to see which one works for me.

Thanks so much! I see the Aveeno one is at Walgreens. I wonder if the sulfate free clarifying shampoos remove silicones? I want to see if I can cut out sulfates completely. I still have so much to learn. I want to try different regimens to see which one works for me.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 5:17pm

Lol @ tatee.

Clarifying shampoo and cleansers are only strong shampoos that have a larger amount of sulfates in them and other harsh cleansing agents to remove dirt and grime from your hair strands. What goes on the hair that doesn't change the protein bonds will always come back off the hair. Including silicones, always remember this. So if you are cleansing your hair on a weekly basis there will not be build up. The scalp is easy to clean also. The higher the amount of sulfates and detergents the higher the PH, when the PH gets out of 7 range, then you need to really add moisture back into your hair in large amounts. So if you choose to clarify add lots of moisture back....

I do not run from silicones, but I do not use them on a weekly basis. When I do, I find that regular sulfate shampoo removes them from my hair but keep in mind I shampoo once or twice a week. The silicones do not penetrate the hair shaft they stick on top of the hair shaft, so they can easily be washed off......I also use a herbal mudd wash to cleanse my hair strands to give it that extra cleanse without stripping the hair. This stuff is amazing.

My hair is very porous based on what I've been told by my stylist and on what I have been reading. I think the harsh detergents only make my hair dryer and rougher. PLus I have scalp issues. I don't think I mind the silicones, but if I will use them I hope I can remove them without using sulfates. I'm really hoping I can use the one without using the other and see if it makes my hair shinier and more manageable.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 9:04pm

Lol @ tatee.

My hair is very porous based on what I've been told by my stylist and on what I have been reading. I think the harsh detergents only make my hair dryer and rougher. PLus I have scalp issues. I don't think I mind the silicones, but if I will use them I hope I can remove them without using sulfates. I'm really hoping I can use the one without using the other and see if it makes my hair shinier and more manageable.
Right, those sulfates are not good especially for Afro hair, it strips it to much and causes tangles.......Try the non sulfate shampoo first to wash off the silicones, it will probably work just fine. I use the shea moisture non sulfate shampoo and it rinse off the silicones that I use on occasion......When you say manageable what do you mean? SSk, tangles, matts or what? ACV rinses will help with sheen and clarifying. You can add a little to your shampoo for cleansing or make a rinse to use as a final rinse out. You will see a big difference.

-------------

Posted By: RedAdmiral101
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:13am
Hope you like the crisco! :)

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 9:05pm
^^^I just tried it. I couldn't really work it through my wet hair without feeling like I was overdoing it. Ah well eventually I'll get the hang of it.

I clarified (with a sulfate shampoo because I didn't have a sulfate free clarifying shampoo available, gonna order one soon). I followed up with a deep conditioner that probably isn't very good quality. It has mineral oil high up on the list of ingredients. It also contains a PEG modified dimethicone which is water soluble plus my sulfate free shampoo contains cocamidopropyl betaine which removes cones anyway so it's not too bad. I then did an ACV rinse and moisturized with the Cantu shea butter leave in and sealed with Crisco then I put my hair into four big twists. I couldn't believe how little shedding I had. I was amazing. But I did detangle and put my hair in 16 braids before washing so I'm sure that helped. Hopefully it won't be long before I BC.

Big smile

-------------
I mean damn can my p**** be tight?

Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 7:14pm
Got my shea butter in the mail today! I got it from this site which was recommended by Curly Nikki, I think.

http://www.butters-n-bars.com/unrefined-sheabutter-half.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.butters-n-bars.com/unrefined-sheabutter-half.html

I got a pound which came in two 8 ounce tubs.

-------------

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 1:32am
Thanks for sharing I need to order some Shea butter soon. Very helpful info shared in this thread

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Prtybrwneye_z Prtybrwneye_z wrote:

Thanks for sharing I need to order some Shea butter soon. Very helpful info shared in this thread

I tried it and it's really good. Really smooth texture, light, pleasant, nutty smell, seems fresh.

So I went to Walgreens lol. I picked up some headwraps, you know the little bands that girls use to put their hair in a puff. I also got ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Hollywood Olive Oil Cream (with Bonus Cholesterol), Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner, (all recommended by BlackHairScience.com), EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel Maximum Hold, Nature's Way Coconut Oil, and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment mask and some satin covered foam rollers.

I saw the Curl Custard but I didn't realize until I got back home that it was one of the items Veemack recommended. I'll get it next time I'm out. Gosh, I really do sound like a junkie. Disapprove

But I only plan on getting a few more things. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 4:31am

A quick transition hairstyle. It's basically a twist out. It's been 11 months so everything in the front is all natural and some of my ponytail is as well. No heat whatsoever. I'm surprised I got it to lay this flat.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 4:47am
beautiful hair Sweet.  it took a minute for me to realize twist outs work. i was fighting my hair for over a year until Nike said that once you stop fighting it, it become easier.  those were truest words anyone had ever said.  i simply stop working against my hair and started working with it and just like that it became easier.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 4:49am

I tried it and it's really good. Really smooth texture, light, pleasant, nutty smell, seems fresh.

So I went to Walgreens lol. I picked up some headwraps, you know the little bands that girls use to put their hair in a puff. I also got ORS Hair Mayonnaise, Elasta QP Mango Butter, Hollywood Olive Oil Cream (with Bonus Cholesterol), Queen Helene Cholesterol conditioner, (all recommended by BlackHairScience.com), EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel Maximum Hold, Nature's Way Coconut Oil, and Shea Moisture Deep Treatment mask and some satin covered foam rollers.

I saw the Curl Custard but I didn't realize until I got back home that it was one of the items Veemack recommended. I'll get it next time I'm out. Gosh, I really do sound like a junkie. Disapprove

you doLOL but it also sounds like your enjoying yourself, so have at it.  enjoy your journey.

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 5:02am
SweetNovember I do not like the Hollywood olive oil collection, honestly none of their stuff. So let me know what you think about them. How much relaxer do you still have? Better question how many inches of natural hair have you grown out so far? You have pretty hair seems as though you would not have much trouble.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 5:07am

Let me know how you continue to like this shea butter. I have a company I order from already, but I am always looking for others to share. A good shea butter should no matter how thick, melt easily on your hands from you body heat, spread easily and a light shade of beige. Let me know how you like your pick after continued usage.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:35pm

SweetNovember I do not like the Hollywood olive oil collection, honestly none of their stuff. So let me know what you think about them. How much relaxer do you still have? Better question how many inches of natural hair have you grown out so far? You have pretty hair seems as though you would not have much trouble.

I thought they were cheap and useless too but I only bought it because it was on that one site. I haven't tried it yet. Here is the ingredient list which actually doesn't look bad at first glance:

Water, Isopropyl Myristate, Soybean Oil, Olive Oil, Stearic Acid, Stearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Vitamin E, Matricaria Extract (Chamomile), Calendula Extract, Vitamin B, Macadamia Nut Oil, Vitamin A, Coconut Oil, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Vitamin C, Great Burdock Extract, Triethanolamine, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance, FD&C Yellow No. 5, FD&C Blue No. 1.

When I try it I will let you know how it is. 
ETA: I just realized it has parabens in it. Not sure what those are but I heard they're not good. Confused

I haven't measured my new growth but the entire slicked back area is natural plus a little more. It's still mostly relaxed though.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

beautiful hair Sweet.  it took a minute for me to realize twist outs work. i was fighting my hair for over a year until Nike said that once you stop fighting it, it become easier.  those were truest words anyone had ever said.  i simply stop working against my hair and started working with it and just like that it became easier.

I think it looks a little sloppy. I went back and refreshed it by doing some more big twists and rolling the ends overnight. The only thing I used to set it was water and conditioner in a spray bottle. It came out nice. I sure wish I had known about this stuff when I was relaxed.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:54pm
dp

-------------

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 2:22pm
Hey tatee!

thanks for all of your suggestions! hell, i'm usually taking some SERIOUS notes whenever you post.

-------------
I've always said: If you have to wear a uniform to work? it's usually a sh*&tty job.

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 12:49am
I may have gone a little overboard today. Let's see *looks through drawers*

I got another jar of Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer by accident. I thought the one I had already was the leave in because they changed the packaging on me. Ah well. I got the One n' Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask a poster recommended on the first page (thanks!). I got the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and also the Hold and Shine Moisture Mist.  I got the LeKair Carrot Oil Cholesterol Creme, ORS Carrot Oil, Elasta QP DPR-11, Elasta QP Soy Oyl (they both have mineral oil/petroleum but the DPR-11 was recommended so I figured I may as well try the other one), some 3/4 inch and 7/8 inch bendable rods, Lottabody setting lotion, another spray bottle for it, some end papers, some more applicator bottles for my oils which are set to arrive tomorrow, and a soft bonnet hair dryer. Woo! I am pretty much done now, that's the good news. I still need a hair vitamin and a hair steamer. But no more bulk purchases for me. These should last quite a while.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 7:02pm
Just got my oils in the mail from http://camdengrey.com" rel="nofollow - http://camdengrey.com ! Took long enough.

A pound each of sweet almond, castor, olive, avocado and grapeseed, and 4 oz each of jojoba and tea tree.

All the carrier oils came in plastic bottles and the tea tree cam in an amber glass bottle. Can't wait to try them!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 8:55pm

Just got my oils in the mail from http://camdengrey.com" rel="nofollow - http://camdengrey.com ! Took long enough.

A pound each of sweet almond, castor, olive, avocado and grapeseed, and 4 oz each of jojoba and tea tree.

All the carrier oils came in plastic bottles and the tea tree cam in an amber glass bottle. Can't wait to try them!
Good for you lady! To keep your oils full of nutrients, keep them inside a closet or drawer.  Light weakens your oils. Try not to leave inside your bathroom, because our bathrooms tend to get a little warm. For your oils that came in a plastic bottle you can take some duct tape and cover the outside of the bottle, this will keep light from getting through to the oils. Light, air and heat weaken your oils.....Have fun!

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 9:10pm

Good for you lady! To keep your oils full of nutrients, keep them inside a closet or drawer.  Light weakens your oils. Try not to leave inside your bathroom, because our bathrooms tend to get a little warm. For your oils that came in a plastic bottle you can take some duct tape and cover the outside of the bottle, this will keep light from getting through to the oils. Light, air and heat weaken your oils.....Have fun!

Thanks! Yeah they're in my drawer now. That tea tree is strong! I could smell it before I even opened it. I will be trying them once I finish my yarn braids.

-------------

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 3:20pm
Coconut oil
my homemade shea/mango butter mix
liquid gold scalp oil
hairfinity (just bought a 6mo supply)
garlic pills to prevent shedding
water/aloe vera juice moisturizing spritz
drinking plenty of water
gym time (not only is it some of the only "me" time I get, but it does wonders for your body overall!)

ETA:

Terressentials mud wash. I have it in the mint scent and it cleans as well as helps to easily detangle.
Wide tooth comb - but I only comb my hair when damp and when detangling for a wash day.
Henna rinses every other month usually
Homemade flaxseed gel (when I wear my hair out it gives me an amazing 4 day hold on my twist outs)

For me less is more, and I try to put only all natural products on my actual hair and my hair responds best to that vs store bought items.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: moonglow_diva
Date Posted: Jan 11 2013 at 7:34pm

What's in your stash that you would recommend to a new natural?

Tools, oils, moisturizers, sealants, commercial products?

What products can't you do without?

I recommend Giovanni Direct leave-in, A Denman brush, patience, lot of thick conditioners to detangle, water, patience, learn how to braid, do flat twist, and two strand twist, patience, have fun with it and most importantly be patience. Hair grows but a watch pot never boils. So give up doing periodic length checks and enjoy the journey.

The product that I can't do without are baking soda. I do not shampoo my hair with conventional shampoos because I have serious porosity issues and I have found that baking soda does what I need it to do. I also use ACV because baking soda has a ph of about 8 or 9 and the ACV brings the porosity back down. Does it change my curl pattern? Yes over time but it is really nothing to talk about.

Grace & Blessings,
~ Moonglow

-------------
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify you Father which is in heaven. ~ Matthew 5:16

Posted By: Nicky6253
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 9:38am
My hair is weird . I found that splurging(sp?) on high quality products do nothing for my hair but break it off . I've started using inexpensive products such as the V05 conditioners mixed in a spray bottle with water , Garlic shampoo, Africa's best hair oils, and lekair cholesterol does wonders for my hair. Little to NO breakage. I could literally just go shop in family dollar for my hair care products with no problem but its also weird because I WANT to treat my hair to the highest quality possible and it fights me back like "just No" lol

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Jan 13 2013 at 11:17am
^^Sometimes less is more! And often times a lot of the higher priced products have fillers in them and are really just overpriced versions of either cheapie brands or things you could easily make yourself. I found that my hair prefers all natural products over items loaded with impossible to pronounce ingredients.

Not only is it cheaper, but my hair never gives me a bad twist out or feels dry, brittle or weighed down with product like it would when I was using store brands. Literally the only product I use that isn't either 100% natural or made by me is my Terressentials mud wash.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Print Page | Close Window