Print Page | Close Window

Opposition to natural hair--the older generation?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352590
Printed Date: Sep 19 2017 at 12:42pm

Topic: Opposition to natural hair--the older generation?
Posted By: SweetNovember*
Subject: Opposition to natural hair--the older generation?
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:46pm
Is it mostly the older generation that's against natural hair? How many of you natural ladies have mothers that are also natural? How many of you were encouraged or discouraged to go natural? Are any of you relaxed because you are worried what your parents/grandparents will think if you chopped?

Replies:
Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:49pm
well my mother wore a hijab and then eventually stopped putting chemicals in her hair. She never was against or for natural. She just liked when my hair would get long.

My aunt and sister are going natural right now, so there are a few women in my family going for it. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:51pm
I'm transitioning to natural and every time my grandma sees me she says, "girl you need a perm" LOL I feel a little insult but I brush it off.

My mom is cool with me going natural. I don't think she cares what I do with my hair as long as it looks presentable.

-------------
yo

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:52pm
My mom would be happier once my hair gets longer.

Just give me 1-2 years.

-------------

Posted By: combwreckr
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:53pm
My mom is probably the most open-minded person I know, and she was flat out against me going natural! She's from that generation where you always wore it hot-combed and straight unless you had "good" hair. I wish I knew what my grandmothers opinions would be but unfortunately they're no longer with me. 

What's funny is my Father is the complete opposite, always saying how feirce I'd look with a big afro. :)

-------------

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 6:55pm
My mom was against, then she went natural herself later.

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:11pm
i have found this to be true...although my grannie told me relaxed her is no longer in style. it's all about the fro. her 89 year old self is too cuteLOL

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:12pm
My mom has very long dreads.  Like 8 years worth.  She covered them until they were past her shoulders though.  My dad likes long hair.  He was against my natural for the longest and now he knows better than to comment lol

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:12pm
they haven't really said anything to me about it because i wear weaves a lot lol

but my grandma thinks she has a great curl pattern with a damn texturizer -_-
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

they haven't really said anything to me about it because i wear weaves a lot lol

but my grandma thinks she has a great curl pattern with a damn texturizer -_-
LOL

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:19pm
My mom went natural in 07, I used to clown her....I have been natural for 2 years now LOL.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:27pm
my mother knows her children do what they wanna do 

Posted By: gabi03
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:38pm
My mom and dad were all for going natural. My mom is saying she will probably go natural soon, but she still thinks only those with "good hair" should do it, if you don't have it then you need to toss a texturizer on it.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 7:54pm
my mom was natural when I was lil now she's not.  she's has nothing against it. she just feels ...been there done that.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:02pm
Mom was against it at first but ended up BCing before I did. Dad didn't like it until it grew out. Aunts don't like it, uncles aren't against it/don't care. They all wore their hair natural and big when they were younger which makes me raise an eyebrow lol.

*Fluffs out naps with pride*

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: greenttby
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:03pm
My mother is the reason why I am semi relaxed, but now she is anti relaxer.. But not really feeling kinky hair either. She covers or presses her natural hair. I'm like so why did you keep me in a beauty shop seat all my teen life?

Posted By: greenttby
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:04pm
My grandmother said no one should walk around with a nappy head.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:07pm
my gramma tho.....if your hair got any kind of 4b kink u need your hair did.  she can't stand my aunts ....what are those ...skinny locs, queeny locs? iono but my gramma can't stand them.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

My mom was against, then she went natural herself later.

The exact damn thing my mother did. When I started my natural hair journey and tried to get her to join me, she talked about how she "did that already" in reference to wearing natural hair and afros. Now she's walking around here with a twi and a line-up, swearing that she would never put another relaxer in her hair.

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:44pm
My Granny just went natural a few months ago....
:-D

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 8:47pm
my grandmother has never had a relaxer...her hair does not curl...but it's not kinky. i dont know how to even describe it but she can just easily run a comb through her hair.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 9:20pm
One of my cousins is 4 something natural and she gets so much shade.they stay giving her beauty shop references and asking her when she plans on getting those naps done.they tell her she won't be able to get a man.

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 9:25pm
I've gotten shade from my mom as far as trying to go natural and she's not even that old. If I have so much as a little bit of new growth she's quick to say I need to hurry up and slap a relaxer in my head. Other than that I don't think I've ever really heard any of the older members of my family speak negatively about being natural.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 9:45pm
Yea, I went to grandmas over the weekend and this was the first time I wore my lil fro out since my BC in October (put in senegelese twists after the BC) and she seen me and was like "Well...what happened there"Stern Smile

My mom went apesh!t when I did the bc though. She asked why I didn't wait for her to come home so she could talk me out of it lol

-------------

Posted By: 510QUEEN
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 9:55pm
My momma gloated over my head and told me she shaped it perfectly. She perms maybe 2 times a year if that

-------------

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:05pm
People in my family don't care. It's just hair. My mother thought it was cool that I went natural. My oldest sister went natural back when she was in high school and no one said anything about it as far as bad is concerned.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Print Page | Close Window