Print Page | Close Window

Spike Lee Talks Django Unchained

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352551
Printed Date: Nov 23 2017 at 2:09am

Topic: Spike Lee Talks Django Unchained
Posted By: Soratachi
Subject: Spike Lee Talks Django Unchained
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 6:56pm

I will watch it. Embarrassed

Anybody else will follow Spike lead?? Do you find this film disrespectful??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTIWe_71mw" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTIWe_71mw

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Replies:
Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 6:57pm
Where is spike in this post?

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: mrshairdo
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 6:57pm
spike needs to have a damn seat

-------------
Y'all should be calling white ppl "Mizungus". Get into the movement!!

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 6:59pm
I want to see it .
When is it out?
I wanted to go to the movies on Thursday

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Where is spike in this post?

The effing video doesn't want to collaborate, so I put the link. Cry

Every time!!!Cry I need to get to the bottom of this. Angry

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:12pm
I would like for him to espouse on the "disrespect" he feels this movie is

I will say that I was watching QT speak about the movie. He mentioned how he always wondered why more slaves didn't rebel and take revenge against their masters and that's where he got the basis of the idea for this film from

That rubbed me the wrong way. Basically insinuating our ancestors were dumb and compliant without even considering their real circumstances

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:15pm

Spike Lee thinks Quentin Tarantino's new slavery revenge flick "Django Unchained" is the wrong thing.

The famed "He Got Game" director says he's boycotting the new movie because he finds it insulting.

"American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them," he wrote on Twitter.

The tweet came shortly after he told VibeTV he couldn't comment on the movie starring Jamie Foxx and Leonardo DiCaprio because he decided not to see it.

"I can't speak on it 'cause I'm not gonna see it. I'm not seeing it," he said in a video interview.

"All I'm going to say is that it's disrespectful to my ancestors to see that film. That's the only thing I'm gonna say," he explained. "I can't disrespect my ancestors. I can't do it. Now, that's me. I'm not speaking on behalf of anybody but myself. I can't do it."

Lee, 55, even tangled with another Twitter user who took issue with his Holocaust comparison.

"The goal of the holocaust was death and destruction; the goal of American slavery was tobacco, indigo, rice, and cotton," a post from a user called Rogue Academic read.

"Like Slaves Didn't Die? What Kind Of Academic Are You? And George Washington Didn't Own Slaves Too?" Lee responded.

Tarantino, 49, has been the subject of Lee's ire before.

Lee criticized the "Pulp Fiction" director for his liberal use of the n-word in his third feature film, "Jackie Brown," a 1997 movie starring Samuel L. Jackson and paying homage to the blaxploitation films of the 1970s.

"I'm not against the word. And some people speak that way. But Quentin is infatuated with that word," Lee said of Tarantino in an interview with Variety.

"What does he want to be made, an honorary black man?" the "Do The Right Thing" director asked. "I want Quentin to know that all African-Americans do not think that word is trendy or slick."

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:17pm
I understand the criticism for Quentin but I absolutely love his movies.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:17pm
spike lee has been a big protestor of QT films.. so this isn't surprising.
He's consistent w/ it... so Im cool w/ it.

I will see the movie
how/when and will there be an exchange of $ when I see it-- will be the question though.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:18pm
sheit i wonder that all the time as well...i dont blame him for saying/wondering that

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:19pm
Im seeing this tomorrow #Can'tBeatFreeTickets lol

However, I will hold out my critique until I see it

But as far as I know, this is not a "slave movie". This is just a Western that takes place during the slave era

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:24pm
i dont think its meant to be slave movie just as inglorious basterds wasn't meant to be a holocaust movie

it's a revenge type thing (which he seems to love these days) and im not mad at all
i think it will be a good movie...and any movie where slave masters are getting killed/whipped is alright by me...especially after seeing the genius that was inglorious basterds

that being said it would've been great if the movie centered around the entire bringing down of slavery by the slaves...

-------------

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:24pm
Ion understand.....is it cause it has a 70's soundtrack? is that why folks are talmbout disrespect?  i'm sorry...I'm tired of watching Roots like movies where we are always just takin' sh*t and takin' sh*t and loosing.  Let me have this.  Spike mad cause he ain't do it first?  I mean...somebody please explain the disrespect....is it cause a white man made it?  I mean....what?

I mean....I hate to bring up Basterds again but....I ain't hear nuffin' from the Jewish community on that.  All I heard from errybody that it saw was..."yeah...beat that Nazi...bash his fuccin' head in" which the Bear Jew proceeded to do.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: James Avery
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:25pm
i understand where spike is coming from and like nycdiva said, he has a heated history with tarantino. with that said, i will be watching the movie once it hits my favorite torrent site. i ain't putting money in that cracka's pocket.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Ion understand.....is it cause it has a 70's soundtrack? is that why folks are talmbout disrespect?  i'm sorry...I'm tired of watching Roots like movies where we are always just takin' sh*t and takin' sh*t and loosing.  Let me have this.  Spike mad cause he ain't do it first?  I mean...somebody please explain the disrespect....is it cause a white man made it?  I mean....what?

I mean....I hate to bring up Basterds again but....I ain't hear nuffin' from the Jewish community on that.  All I heard from errybody that it saw was..."yeah...beat that Nazi...bash his fuccin' head in" which the Bear Jew proceeded to do.

guuurrrrlll you and me are >>>here<<<

i dont see the disrespect either...i mean why cuz he used the n word? foh

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:27pm
Damn

I wasn't excited to see this but now I am... go figure

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

i understand where spike is coming from and like nycdiva said, he has a heated history with tarantino. with that said, i will be watching the movie once it hits my favorite torrent site. i ain't putting money in that cracka's pocket.

what is spike trying to say? help me understand

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

sheit i wonder that all the time as well...i dont blame him for saying/wondering that

maybe we didn't kill the white man then for the same reason we don't now.  *shrugs*

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:30pm

hollywood will not put money behind a serious slave revolt movie. it won't happen. i would love for spike to make a movie centered around nat turner or another black uprising during that time but unfortunately, the jews and crackas with that bankroll these films will not co-sign it.

basterds is diff because they're weren't going in concentration camps in that movie and the focus was mainly on hitler and his red army. plus tarantino killed the jews biggest enemy in that movie.

also tarantino finds anyway he can to throw the N word in all his movies or make the black man look weak(the scene in pulp fiction with the gimp suit dude)

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:30pm

maybe we didn't kill the white man then for the same reason we don't now.  *shrugs*

too scared?

-------------

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:31pm
First off, I want to express my happiness that the youtube clip was only 40 seconds. I thought it was going to be a long drawn out explanation, but I actually watched it. Anyways, I don't know if I'm seeing this movie in theater, but I will be seeing it at some point. It seemed like it would be good based off the preview. And they never want to bring up slavery ever.

-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:31pm
Damn, it has an 87% on RT already Shocked

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:32pm

that tarantino is making a mockery of slavery by masking it with his usual revenge storyline. django is also a western film made in the 60's i believe. tarantino just added a slavery twist to it.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:32pm
.. out numbered? Over powered? No plan? No resources? Many factors Confused

too scared?

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:33pm
i remember watching some slavery movie once (forget what it's called) and there were actual diary clips and letters from slave owners and doctors back in the day

one of the doctors was saying how the indian man could never be a slave because once captured he wouldn't move, eat, talk, fucc, shiit, NOTHING....and that's what made them "unslaveable" but when black ppl were brought up they continued with everything and that's what made it easier...even down to fuccin which is why they started breeding off the women...

that shiit hurt my soul, i was like dayummm

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

too scared?

they weren't outnumbered during slavery tho...one plantation owner/family vs how many slaves?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:35pm

that tarantino is making a mockery of slavery by masking it with his usual revenge storyline. django is also a western film made in the 60's i believe. tarantino just added a slavery twist to it.

i dont understand how hes making a mockery out of slavery tho...hes adding a twist to it, what the prollem is? so django going to find his wife and killing/whipping slave owners along the way is a bad thing? in who's mind? wtf

-------------

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:36pm

i remember watching some slavery movie once (forget what it's called) and there were actual diary clips and letters from slave owners and doctors back in the day

one of the doctors was saying how the indian man could never be a slave because once captured he wouldn't move, eat, talk, fucc, shiit, NOTHING....and that's what made them "unslaveable" but when black ppl were brought up they continued with everything and that's what made it easier...even down to fuccin which is why they started breeding off the women...

Damn.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:36pm
Not gonna lie, I felt this exact way when I watched a clip from Goodbye Uncle Tom

When the "slaves" were eating food from the pig's slop  and the Indians were just posted in the back, not doing sh*t. Look cool as f*ck as usual Ouch

I was embarrased for my blackness for a split second

Then I wondered... is it better to be dignified and extinct or survivalists and alive?

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:37pm
So what happened to Nat Turner when he killed those plantation owners? Stern Smile

they weren't outnumbered during slavery tho...one plantation owner/family vs how many slaves?

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:38pm

hollywood will not put money behind a serious slave revolt movie. it won't happen. i would love for spike to make a movie centered around nat turner or another black uprising during that time but unfortunately, the jews and crackas with that bankroll these films will not co-sign it.

basterds is diff because they're weren't going in concentration camps in that movie and the focus was mainly on hitler and his red army. plus tarantino killed the jews biggest enemy in that movie.

also tarantino finds anyway he can to throw the N word in all his movies or make the black man look weak(the scene in pulp fiction with the gimp suit dude)

well that's not tarantino's fault is it? for what the plot is in this movie, HIS movie, i'm happy...i don't see these type of films from black filmmakers...so...whatevs

ok so aside from the scene in pulp fiction, where else has he made the black man look weak? samuel l jackson was pretty badass to me in pulp fiction...where else tho..

as for the n word, doesn't spike himself use that word NUFF in his movies? that's ok cuz he's black tho right? i mean i understand what hes saying but coming from him that's actually pretty stupid to say as part of his criticism imo

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:39pm
A black uprising film does sound awesome.

Quentin when am I getting a Kill Bill 3?

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:39pm

i dont understand how hes making a mockery out of slavery tho...hes adding a twist to it, what the prollem is? so django going to find his wife and killing/whipping slave owners along the way is a bad thing? in who's mind? wtf

if its anything like his other films, there will be a lot of humor in it. there was nothing funny about slavery. keep it authentic. there wasn't a super hero negro with a pistol going around killing crackas.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:42pm

if its anything like his other films, there will be a lot of humor in it. there was nothing funny about slavery. keep it authentic. there wasn't a super hero negro with a pistol going around killing crackas.

there was nothing funny about the holocaust either yet he still killed it didn't he?
there wasn't an american army who went in and killed hitler either and killed off how many german soldiers...but so? tarantino killed that shiit anyway

again spike needs to have a seat

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:42pm

well that's not tarantino's fault is it? for what the plot is in this movie, HIS movie, i'm happy...i don't see these type of films from black filmmakers...so...whatevs

ok so aside from the scene in pulp fiction, where else has he made the black man look weak? samuel l jackson was pretty badass to me in pulp fiction...where else tho..

as for the n word, doesn't spike himself use that word NUFF in his movies? that's ok cuz he's black tho right? i mean i understand what hes saying but coming from him that's actually pretty stupid to say as part of his criticism imo

black filmakers will not make blaxploitation films about slavery tho.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:43pm

So what happened to Nat Turner when he killed those plantation owners? Stern Smile

was it nat turner or the whole plantation against the owner? 
also if this happened across the board u honestly think they would've continued slavery?

-------------

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:43pm
welp i already bought my ticket to watch the movie tomorrow. I won't be able to go tomorrow but i want to go on sat, will they allow me to change my ticket?

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:44pm

there was nothing funny about the holocaust either yet he still killed it didn't he?
there wasn't an american army who went in and killed hitler either and killed off how many german soldiers...but so? tarantino killed that shiit anyway

again spoke needs to have a seat

if you're talking about inglorious basterds, again, they barely touched on the holocaust in that movie. i bet if they showed jews getting walked to the gas chamber there would be an outcry by the jewish community. yet i bet in this film we will see rapes, lynchings, lashings mixed in with some comedy smh.

-------------
God bless

Conditions of the Holocaust were not shown in Inglorious Basterds

You knew it was that era, however, because of the Nazi soldiers

But Django shows slaves/slavery directly in the movie (broomhilda getting whipped?)

Not gonna lie, I felt this exact way when I watched a clip from Goodbye Uncle Tom

When the "slaves" were eating food from the pig's slop  and the Indians were just posted in the back, not doing sh*t. Look cool as f*ck as usual Ouch

Then I wondered... is it better to be dignified and extinct or survivalists and alive?

that's the exact clip i was referring to
i was embarassed as fucc too....but weren't they saying the slaves were fuccing freely before they were being forced to and that's where they got the idea to breed them up like crazy...

that's even more embarassing smh

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:45pm

but how is that tarantino or anybody else's fault? maybe they should get their minds right instead of making precious smh

i mean was that story necessary?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:47pm

So... then...we're mad cause it's not a full slave revolt movie?  If Tarantino did do such a movie folks would still be mad.  After all...he's white.  He can't possibly tell the story right. If Spike did it....very few would support it.  Alot of folks are still mad about "X". If spike did the kind of slave movie you're talmbout most would wait for The Torrent and still complain.

*shrugs*  I know the kinds of movie's Tarantino does.  I was not and would not be expecting an "Lincoln" from him.

If Spike want to do a true "Nat Turner" or summin' then he needs to appeal to the black elite who have the money to back this kind of project.  He need not get mad at Quentin because Jewish money supports a Jew revenge flick.  Want a black movie done the black way then get black funds.  Why we gotta beg for Jew money?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:48pm
You must remember that Natives were slaves for a split second before Africans were. So were Whites but Natives could slip away and find their way out because they knew the land

Whites would slip away and be lost because they fit in with the non-slave Europeans

I think we're being to hard (and unrealistic) to our (or my) slave ancestors. It ain't like they had Facebook and could organize a revolt across the entire South without Whities elsewhere knowing about it

i was embarassed as fucc too....but weren't they saying the slaves were fuccing freely before they were being forced to and that's where they got the idea to breed them up like crazy...

Posted By: cvzx
I see where Spike is coming from too. However this movie is purely for entertainment purposes and profit. I Will not see it in movies but wait for it to be on netflix.

Lets be honest does today's average move goer have the attention span to watch a movie that depicts the hero and rebels during slavery times...

but how is that tarantino or anybody else's fault? maybe they should get their minds right instead of making precious smh

i mean was that story necessary?

do you think a company would greenlight a serious slave revolt film? hell no lol. it aint spikes fault either. black directors in hollywood are limited.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:49pm

if you're talking about inglorious basterds, again, they barely touched on the holocaust in that movie. i bet if they showed jews getting walked to the gas chamber there would be an outcry by the jewish community. yet i bet in this film we will see rapes, lynchings, lashings mixed in with some comedy smh.

ok so now the issue is about the plot of the film and how much was shown vs the other? that doesn't seem really petty to you? so it would be OK if they showed that in inglorious basterds? then y'all wouldn't have anything to say? im not understanding the argument here

it's a different film, with a different plot....how many slavery movies have shown exactly the details of slavery? were ppl mad at that? 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:51pm
Goodbye Uncle Tom was ......upsetting.   I'll never watch that again in life.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:53pm
I can understand Spike not wanting people making light and associating the slave era with humor/revenge fantasy because that's not how it happened. Blacks have had no revenge. In fact, it's almost as if we (the generations post-slavery) are paying the highest price for the existence of slavery while Whites got off scotch free

A revenge slave/spaghetti western is not gonna change that (though, some Whites will feel that we finally "got ours")

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:53pm

do you think a company would greenlight a serious slave revolt film? hell no lol. it aint spikes fault either. black directors in hollywood are limited.

lol ok so then why are ppl mad at tarantino again? 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:54pm

You must remember that Natives were slaves for a split second before Africans were. So were Whites but Natives could slip away and find their way out because they knew the land

Whites would slip away and be lost because they fit in with the non-slave Europeans

I think we're being to hard (and unrealistic) to our (or my) slave ancestors. It ain't like they had Facebook and could organize a revolt across the entire South without Whities elsewhere knowing about it

i have a different opinion that would be too much for this thread so imma just agree to disagree with you here 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:56pm

So... then...we're mad cause it's not a full slave revolt movie?  If Tarantino did do such a movie folks would still be mad.  After all...he's white.  He can't possibly tell the story right. If Spike did it....very few would support it.  Alot of folks are still mad about "X". If spike did the kind of slave movie you're talmbout most would wait for The Torrent and still complain.

*shrugs*  I know the kinds of movie's Tarantino does.  I was not and would not be expecting an "Lincoln" from him.

If Spike want to do a true "Nat Turner" or summin' then he needs to appeal to the black elite who have the money to back this kind of project.  He need not get mad at Quentin because Jewish money supports a Jew revenge flick.  Want a black movie done the black way then get black funds.  Why we gotta beg for Jew money?

i'd rather they be mad over a serious film that ruffled feathers rather than a slave/western/revenge/comedy/thriller film.

when the black elite own a major hollywood studio i'm sure that can be accomplished. until then, spike has to work with the limited resources like he has his entire career and films that accurately portray the issues we face as a race. spike probably feels like all the films he makes are overlooked for films like django or other tarantino films that we flock to that have the N word slung around like crazy.

-------------
God bless

Goodbye Uncle Tom was ......upsetting.   I'll never watch that again in life.

it really really was....that shiit shook me to my core then i got extremely mad, then i got very jaded

-------------

lol ok so then why are ppl mad at tarantino again? 

because he turned slavery into a comedy/action flick.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:58pm

too scared?

overcoming oppression is not a numbers game.
its a power thing.

last time I checked-- there were way more black South Africans than white-- and look how long apartheid went on.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 7:58pm

I can understand Spike not wanting people making light and associating the slave era with humor/revenge fantasy because that's not how it happened. Blacks have had no revenge. In fact, it's almost as if we (the generations post-slavery) are paying the highest price for the existence of slavery while Whites got off scotch free

A revenge slave/spaghetti western is not gonna change that (though, some Whites will feel that we finally "got ours")

yea but tarantino did the same thing with inglorious basterds and it was brilliant...i mean spike needs to hush and get over it, it really isn't that serious

once again....slave masters (white ppl) getting killed and whipped in revenge by a slave (black man) is alright by me

and jews haven't had revenge either....they got back the shiit they already owned...and no one is saying this movie was supposed to or is supposed to change anything...hes giving it too much damn power, it's just a movie

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:00pm
I don't think that was his point (we made the same point at the same time)

Basically, your comparison between the use of humor in QT's 2 film topics, the Holocaust and Slavery, doesn't pan out. QT didn't surround the topic of the Holocaust with humor because Ingorious Bastards didn't even show the Holocaust directly, whereas Django will actually be showing slavery. The use of humor while showing slavery directly is what is being objected here

ok so now the issue is about the plot of the film and how much was shown vs the other? that doesn't seem really petty to you? so it would be OK if they showed that in inglorious basterds? then y'all wouldn't have anything to say? im not understanding the argument here

it's a different film, with a different plot....how many slavery movies have shown exactly the details of slavery? were ppl mad at that? 

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd

tarantino finds anyway he can to throw the N word in all his movies or make the black man look weak(the scene in pulp fiction with the gimp suit dude)

Yup.

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

too scared?

overcoming oppression is not a numbers game.
its a power thing.

last time I checked-- there were way more black South Africans than white-- and look how long apartheid went on.

very good point, i have my disagreements but i'll just leave it here

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:02pm

I don't think that was his point (we made the same point at the same time)

Basically, your comparison between the use of humor in QT's 2 film topics, the Holocaust and Slavery, doesn't pan out. QT didn't surround the topic of the Holocaust with humor because Ingorious Bastards didn't even show it, whereas Django will actually be showing slavery. The use of humor while showing slavery directly is what is being objected here

but this film isnt marketed as comedy, there are funny parts to it as with all tarantino films but it is NOT a comedy...do u really think kerry washington is getting whipped and cracking jokes? its meant to be a serious film with comedic bits in it

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:03pm
no one is saying to you--dont go see the movie Hairdo.

but do you really not understand why someone-- specifically a black person-- would find such a movie disrespectful?

-------------

I said humor, not "comedy"  Sleepy

i'd rather they be mad over a serious film that ruffled feathers rather than a slave/western/revenge/comedy/thriller film.

when the black elite own a major hollywood studio i'm sure that can be accomplished. until then, spike has to work with the limited resources like he has his entire career and films that accurately portray the issues we face as a race. spike probably feels like all the films he makes are overlooked for films like django or other tarantino films that we flock to that have the N word slung around like crazy.

Tyler got a studio right?....oh wait...she shat on Tyler.

Why can't he get independant black backers?  I guess black folks with money know that chances are high that most black folks will not pay money to see it so they'll not get a return on that investment.

If Spike gotta work with limited resources then let him work with limited resources.  If he ain't got a mouth piece that can get him support then....*shrugs* Is spike even tryna do some sort of slave revolt film?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:05pm
i don't know what spike has in the works. i know whatever he's cooking up will go over a lot of peoples heads like the majority of his films do. 

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:05pm

now this is getting a bit ridiculous....how can he feel that all the films he makes are overlooked for django...they aren't even the same thing

django could never hold a candle to the brilliance that was malcolm x, or roots, or any other serious slavery film... if that's how spike feels his issues sounds more internal than anything else

django is not going to be seen as the "slavery" go to movie for the next 20 years....again, i feel ppl are being a bit dramatic

even as great as inglorious basterds was, u think ppl are putting that over schindler's list?

they are different types of films, let them be different

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:06pm

Horrible. Cry

But can we really say the Indians and the Black are from the same situation?? I would like to point that one is his native land and the other is miles away from his land, nothing to return to.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:06pm

i don't know what spike has in the works. i know whatever he's cooking up will go over a lot of peoples heads like the majority of his films do. 

that's not anybody else's problem tho
take it up with the blacks who aren't checking for your films

-------------

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:07pm
Tbh ijs imho I don't think there would be as much controversy surrounding this movie *if* there were more movies that looked at slavery seriously.

I have a feeling this movie will end up being representative of slavery in cinema for many people.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:08pm
i don't know why spike feels the way he does. i'm only speculating tbh. also i'm reading some twitter reviews from white folks and so far they all have "comedy" and "humorous" in them. haven't read anything about them learning about the plight of negroes during slavery just yet.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:08pm

no one is saying to you--dont go see the movie Hairdo.

but do you really not understand why someone-- specifically a black person-- would find such a movie disrespectful?

lol i know no one is saying dont go see it, that would be funny

but i do not understand why ppl are up in arms about it
ETA: i think the arguments against it are weak

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:09pm
the only thing I can see is that Spike is scared that alot of white folks are gonna see this and somehow think that slavery was not that bad.  But white folks already think that so....iono.   I think I said this in another Django thread.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:10pm
Let's be honest

People are already so f*cking disrespectful to African Americans and our history. They even downplay how terrible it was and use the same reasoning that mrshairdo is using ("why didn't they just revolt or not work?") to discredit the blood, sweat and tears poured from the abused souls of my people

This is why some AA feel sensitive over this topic being covered with humor. It softens and lightens the horrid history of American slavery and we don't need that. (White) People already feel comfortable freely comparing the horrors of American slavery to the horrors of the Jewish Holocaust by ignorantly implying that the Holocaust was far worst because of the death toll (as if millions of Africans didn't die being thrown overboard in the Middle Passage)

This movie will undoubtedly give these ignorant thoughts more of a platform

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:12pm
*shrugs*......I want to see a revenge flick.  I want to see a negruh ride around and shoot him some white folks.  I mean....since the sh*t never has happened and will never happen in real life.  I want to see one of my fantasies on screen.  fucc it.

-------------

one review compared it to blazing saddles...i can'tSleepy

-------------
God bless

Let's be honest

People are already so f*cking disrespectful to African Americans and our history. They even downplay how terrible it was and use the same reasoning that mrshairdo is using ("why didn't they just revolt or not work?") to discredit the blood, sweat and tears poured from the abused souls of my people

This is why some AA feel sensitive over this topic being covered with humor. It softens and lightens the horrid history of American slavery and we don't need that. (White) People already feel comfortable freely comparing the horrors of American slavery to the horrors of the Jewish Holocaust by ignorantly implying that the Holocaust was far worst because of the death toll (as if millions of Africans didn't die being thrown overboard in the Middle Passage)

first of all i have never and will never downplay slavery...second of all that wasn't reasoning...I said it was something i often WONDERED myself...please dont try to insinuate im downplaying slavery or how serious it was ...thats complete bullshiit

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:14pm
but its been explained-

there is nothing humorous about slavery... and from the clips I've seen-- there is humorous twist to a situation that isn't funny..and James I'm seeing the same type of reviews.

this movie really can't be compared to IB-- like you keep doing b/c
the holocaust was thoughtfully left out of IB as to not ruffle feathers--
but the same respect isn't given to blacks in this movie.

I doubt SL has a problem w/ the showing of a revolt b/c yt ppl are being Killed--
but rather everything else.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:14pm

*shrugs*......I want to see a revenge flick.  I want to see a negruh ride around and shoot him some white folks.  I mean....since the sh*t never has happened and will never happen in real life.  I want to see one of my fantasies on screen.  fucc it.

lol

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:16pm
I didn't say YOU did

I said "they even downplay how terrible it was and use the same reasoning that mrshairdo is using ("why didn't they just revolt or not work?") to discredit the blood, sweat and tears poured from the abused souls of my people"

You may be wondering with different intentions. My point is that they are not. They are using that logic against enslaved Africans

Let's be honest

first of all i have never and will never downplay slavery...second of all that wasn't reasoning...I said it was something i often WONDERED myself...please dont try to insinuate im downplaying slavery or how serious it was ...thats complete bullshiit

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:16pm

But like, it's a comedy/western featuring a negro riding a horse tho. Same thing right? Stop being so sensitive James.

Please know I'm kidding.Dead

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:17pm
you can make a revenge/humorous spaghetti western, leave the slavery out of it. tarantino isn't a dummy, i'm sure he could have pulled of a decent revenge film(since thats all he does) without the N word and slavery being the foundation.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:17pm
I don't understand why Hairdo is caping for that cracker so hard.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:18pm

but its been explained-

there is nothing humorous about slavery... and from the clips I've seen-- there is humorous twist to a situation that isn't funny..and James I'm seeing the same type of reviews.

this movie really can't be compared to IB-- like you keep doing b/c
the holocaust was thoughtfully left out of IB as to not ruffle feathers--
but the same respect isn't given to blacks in this movie.

I doubt SL has a problem w/ the showing of a revolt b/c yt ppl are being Killed--
but rather everything else.

i am comparing them because they are both "revenge" type films against atrocities committed...

i didn't expect them to be the same in plot either....the entire plot of IB centers around a small american army taking out the german soldiers/hitler...i understand why there wouldn't be actual holocaust clips in it..

i dont agree they were not included not to ruffle feathers, i mean they showed brutality in schindler's list and didn't it win best picture at the oscars?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

But like, it's a comedy/western featuring a negro riding a horse tho. Same thing right? Stop being so sensitive James.

Please know I'm kidding.Dead

CC don't make me knock that classy tea out ya handsAngry

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

I don't understand why Hairdo is caping for that cracker so hard.

im not caping for him so hard...i dont agree with arguments against the film and im just stating why

*shrugs*

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:23pm
how many jews did we see murdered in concentration camps/ how many times was the word "kike" used in inglorious basterds?

how many slaves are we going to see murdered/ how many times is the N word used in django?

*sips classy prince tea*

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:23pm

Let's be honest

Amen!!! Clap

I am still too scared to watch Goodbye Uncle Tom. I need to keep my sanity. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:24pm
I gotta say tho....I never saw Schindler's List.  Was it really as good as they say? 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:26pm

how many jews did we see murdered in concentration camps/ how many times was the word "kike" used in inglorious basterds?

how many slaves are we going to see murdered/ how many times is the N word used in django?

*sips classy prince tea*

we'll just have to wait and see won't we

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:26pm
I want somebody to explain to me why Tarantino is so infatuated with the word "N*gger".

He even uses it in movies that he DIDN'T write or direct (Desperado). In muthaf*ckin CAMEO ROLES and sh*t.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:27pm

I gotta say tho....I never saw Schindler's List.  Was it really as good as they say? 

it was good in a very sad way...one of those movies that just tears u up but is powerful because its very real

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:28pm

*sips classy prince tea*

*Shrugs* don't know.  Hows about we watch the movie and see?  *sips Lady Grey*

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Soratachi Soratachi wrote:

Let's be honest

Amen!!! Clap

I am still too scared to watch Goodbye Uncle Tom. I need to keep my sanity. Cry

its awful in a painful way but apparently one of the realest and most honest accounts of how slavery was

it's very deep, i'll tell u that

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:29pm
lol ya'll know damn well it will be a lot.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:30pm

lol ya'll know damn well it will be a lot.

its revenge against slave owners....why wouldn't it show the most of that?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:31pm
C'mon James.  Let me treat u to a movie. LOL and with the price of Movie tickets...u best be giving up the goods.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:37pm

C'mon James.  Let me treat u to a movie. LOL and with the price of Movie tickets...u best be giving up the goods.

LOL aight bet. just make sure its a chick flick and the theater sells nachos w/ cheese and jalapenos.

-------------
God bless

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:44pm
A chick flick?!  snap!! hole on....let me HARRYUP and check The Fandango.LOL

Naw Eff that. I'm tryna take u to see 'Jango.Big smile

-------------

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:57pm

Well....

I could go in on this and where this stems from between the natives and negroes (who are actually brethren...contrary to what is taught), but most of yall think I'm Wacko anywayz so I'm going to leave that one alone.

Anyway, as far as the Natives Americans are concerned, they were the hardest and last nation to be conquered to the point where the white folks needed the help of the Negroes here, the Negroes from the Carribean and the Mexicans to help take them down. So that clip from the movie with the "Indian" being stoic or "stubborn" ain't surprising...

-------------

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 9:01pm

its awful in a painful way but apparently one of the realest and most honest accounts of how slavery was

wasnt there a thread with that movie's link in it. Can someone post the link again?

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 9:02pm
I want to hear it... all of it

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Well....

I could go in on this and where this stems from between the natives and negroes (who are actually brethren...contrary to what is taught), but most of yall think I'm Wacko anywayz so I'm going to leave that one alone.

Date Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

wasnt there a thread with that movie's link in it. Can someone post the link again?

i pray for your soul but here

-------------

Print Page | Close Window