Print Page | Close Window

Mum wont let child out in case she tans.

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352446
Printed Date: Jun 22 2018 at 12:44pm

Topic: Mum wont let child out in case she tans.
Posted By: zsazsa
Subject: Mum wont let child out in case she tans.
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:45pm
Aint that a b!tch. 

Please mommy, can I go outside? Toddlers & Tiaras mother shuts daughter indoors to prevent her skin from tanning

pageant mother on Toddlers & Tiaras left viewers aghast last night, as she shut her daughter indoors to prevent her skin from tanning.

Three-year-old Selena Cruz was seen with her face pressed against the window as her brothers played basketball outside.

'I really want to play outside. Like my brothers,' she complained. But her mother said that she must stay indoors so her 'natural, golden skin tone' would not darken.

Scroll down for video

Shut indoors: Toddlers & Tiaras star Selena Cruz was seen with her face pressed against the window as her brothers played basketball outside

Shut indoors: Toddlers & Tiaras star Selena Cruz was seen with her face pressed against the window as her brothers played basketball outside

An edited clip of last night's episode shown on  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/20/toddlers-tiaras-cant-go-outside-video_n_2335857.html" rel="nofollow - The Huffington Post  attracted dozens of angry comments.

One viewer wrote: 'Good grief put some sunscreen on the kid and let her play. This is child abuse.' 

Childs play: Selenas brothers were seen outside in the garden

Child's play: Selena's brothers were seen outside in the garden

Fed up: The three-year-old explains to viewers that she wants to play outside

Fed up: The three-year-old explains to viewers that she wants to play outside

While another added: 'Let the child outside or she won't have healthy bones and skin. She needs to play with others.'

However Selena's mother simply explains on the TLC show: 'She has to stay inside, so she follows the proper protocol.'

Last night's installment featured a pageant contest held in Columbia, South Carolina. last June.

Strict: Selenas mother told viewers that her daughter has to stay inside, so she follows the proper protocol

Strict: Selena's mother told viewers that her daughter 'has to stay inside, so she follows the proper protocol'

Selena appeared to be getting a little tired of the constant preening and posing.

'Bein’ a diva’s exhausting. I don’t know how Beyonce does it,' she exclaimed after she took to the stage.

Other youngsters to feature in the episode were Mackenzie, six, and Faithlyn, nine. 

Catch Toddlers & Tiaras, every Wednesday at 9 pm ET on TLC

Read more:
    • http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/20/toddlers-tiaras-cant-go-outside-video_n_2335857.html" rel="nofollow -

Replies:
    Posted By: Bunnyahh
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:48pm
    why are so many of these pageant kids fat?

-------------
    Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Posted By: kkscottdale
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:49pm
    she looks just like dora.. face shape and all. Cute baby though.

Mom is messed up for that though.

Posted By: Gkisses
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:53pm
    Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

Theyre American? and most of their parents are as well .?

Just guessing never seen the show beyond 30sec clips

-------------

Posted By: zsazsa
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:53pm

Americans are just a fat nation. 

Posted By: Tbaby
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:54pm
    I thought she was latina, til I scrolled down and saw Mom...

I push my kids outdoors every chance I can get, lol

-------------
    Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: dijah.love
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:54pm
    She's such a chubby little cutie pie.

Her mother is sick.

Reminds me loosely of this anecdote I read in Our Kind Of People by Lawrence O. Graham. Mom wouldn't let the little girl play outside -- told her it was unladylike. Later, she found out it was because she was black and her father was trying to pass as white. Any teeny bit of sun and she would very easily compromise the family's status.

Her mother was sick, too.

I am not sure of the lady above's reasoning, but there is nothing that changes how shameful this act is. Give her some SPF and let the child be a child! What kind of parent suggests that their kid is skating on a thin line of acceptable and not if they stay in the sun?

Posted By: grandhustle
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:56pm
    Of course it's here in columbia

Posted By: AwesomeAries
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:01pm
    I was just going to start a thread about the coveting of light skin in the south.

Posted By: Babydoll9163
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:01pm

Well she ain't outside playing soooo

-------------
    Stupid ppl are like a unicorn. They too do not exist. They are just liberated... liberated from knowledge. -nycdiva

Posted By: kkscottdale
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:02pm
    I was reading some of the comments in the article I think I found the mother's response lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/misquoted?action=comments" rel="nofollow - misquoted
    First of all 80% is scripted and secondly the show left out that it was 100 plus degrees outside and the fact that I do let her go out when it cools down. This was June in the south and actually there was a warning about playing . In fact her brothers had only been out for five minutes while they filmed. So if anything during certain months it is the safest thing to keep her in until after 6 when it cools and yes even with sunscreen she has burned leaving blothches and irritation. So there are so many factor in all episodes that are edited out and changed around even instructed to the child to say. Knowing this we will never film again with this show. The entire play gym outside actually belongs to her and gets plenty of use!

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:03pm
    Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

does honey boo boo play?Confused

-------------

Posted By: CLCNY20
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:04pm
    You can't be darker-skinned and have kids with a man with darker skin and then act stupid if the kids come out with (gasp) DARKER SKIN!  She wasn't concerned about skin color when she spread her legs for him, so she needs to stop.  If she was truly that obsessed, she would have procreated with a lighter man.  She's asking like that child is Alicia Keys light, or not going to be viewed as a minority by White people no matter WHAT her skin tone.  That poor little girl.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:05pm
    Originally posted by kkscottdale kkscottdale wrote:

I was reading some of the comments in the article I think I found the mother's response lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/misquoted?action=comments" rel="nofollow - misquoted
    First of all 80% is scripted and secondly the show left out that it was 100 plus degrees outside and the fact that I do let her go out when it cools down. This was June in the south and actually there was a warning about playing . In fact her brothers had only been out for five minutes while they filmed. So if anything during certain months it is the safest thing to keep her in until after 6 when it cools and yes even with sunscreen she has burned leaving blothches and irritation. So there are so many factor in all episodes that are edited out and changed around even instructed to the child to say. Knowing this we will never film again with this show. The entire play gym outside actually belongs to her and gets plenty of use!

thank you for the truth

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:10pm
    I side-eye all of that because she said the play gym gets plenty of use...

-------------

Posted By: EPITOME
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:11pm

most arent. they're typically very thin. now the moms are like all fat.
    or maybe the fat ones are in the natural pageants....glitz is about perfection so fatties dont get far

i saw this episode when it aired. her dad was cute with her...but he spoke english so terribly i wondered how he and his wife communicated

-------------
    I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:12pm
    Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

Hey fat kids can play and still be chubsCry

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:12pm
    Originally posted by kkscottdale kkscottdale wrote:

not buying it.

she said her daughter was blessed with a perfect golden complexion and it was one of her best assets.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:14pm
    Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Hey fat kids can play and still be chubsCry

Trust me, I know--I was a chubby growing up that could run like the damn wind, but it ain't do a damn thing against all the cheese doodles I was consuming LOL

But still, she needs to be more concerned about the child's weight than her skintone.

-------------

Posted By: FarraFace
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:15pm
    I don't go outside when it's 100+ degrees either unless I have to. /shrug

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:17pm
    Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

not buying it.

she said her daughter was blessed with a perfect golden complexion and it was one of her best assets.

Damn

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:20pm

Dead

-------------
    Stupid ppl are like a unicorn. They too do not exist. They are just liberated... liberated from knowledge. -nycdiva

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:27pm
    Y'all really want 3 year olds outside in 100+ degree sun/heat?

My skin is many years tougher and several shades darker than that child's and it has sun burned, red and blistered, through sunscreen. I may not agree with the mother's reasoning, but I agree with the decision.

-------------

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:08pm
    Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

My skin is many years tougher and several shades darker than that child's and it has sun burned, red and blistered, through sunscreen. I may not agree with the mother's reasoning, but I agree with the decision.

Where did this happen, so I can never go?

-------------
    Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:19pm
    ^^^^^Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma & Texas.

I still luh my region tho.

-------------

Posted By: lovelife
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:28pm
    Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Where did this happen, so I can never go?

las vegas, medium brown, spf 50. i believe it. still think the mom is a nut though.

-------------
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: ImThatDiva
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:30pm

I unfortunately have to go to GA to the stupid part of my family who moved there. however, I'll never go to the rest.

-------------
    Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
    TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
    CARS DRIVE PAST
    DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
    -Midna

Posted By: ImThatDiva
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:31pm
    Let the girl play!

-------------
    Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
    TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
    CARS DRIVE PAST
    DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
    -Midna

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:42pm
    Originally posted by lovelife lovelife wrote:

las vegas, medium brown, spf 50. i believe it. still think the mom is a nut though.

Oh Lawd, yes! How could I forget Vegas. 119 degrees at 11am.

I was like, howinahell is it hotter up here than at home? This is farther away from the equator.   

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:44pm

Oh....guess I can never go to Houston or AtlantaDisapprove

-------------

Posted By: rickysrose
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:46pm

so there is more than one person that believes in the permatan?

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:47pm

LV isnt that bad, I tend to thing heat +humidity is the devil's preferred weather and Vegas is rather dry. Though 107 at 8pm is ri-fukkin-diculous.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:55pm

Central air made it to the South a couple years ago. As did the season winter.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:59pm
    idk why she cares so much about that childs skin tone but not her arteries and her hint of mustache

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:01pm
    Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

so there is more than one person that believes in the permatan?

Dead

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:06pm

idk why she cares so much about that childs skin tone but not her arteries and her hint of mustache

There is no Little Miss Healthy Heart crown to be won.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:07pm

Central air made it to the South a couple years ago. As did the season winter.

LOLYou dont seem too happy 'bout that.

-------------

Posted By: lovelife
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:08pm
    lmao i didn't get a "permatan" but i didn't get back to normal until late october. i was at the pool for like 4 or 5 hours a day w/o shade in vegas though. 

-------------
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:13pm

lmao i didn't get a "permatan" but i didn't get back to normal until late october. i was at the pool for like 4 or 5 hours a day w/o shade in vegas though. 

My tans last a good 4-6 months tooLOL
    If I dont go on vacation in the summer, Im NC50 year round. I left LA for a 3day Palm Springs trip in late June, and I was an NW45 from the time I got back to late November.

-------------

Posted By: OrriannaRose
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:16pm

CryCryCryCry

-------------

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:20pm
    you shouldn't let kids play in that heat. especially at three. 
    but she probably does want the kid to keep her skin tone.

-------------
    And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:20pm

LOL You dont seem too happy 'bout that.

I ain't as fat as I used to be, ergo winter ain't as fun as it used to be.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:28pm
    LOL 
    California is playing that "season winter" game too, so I know those feels. Hug

-------------

Posted By: Tbaby
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:29pm
    I don't know about the Carolinas, but in TX the playgrounds have huge permenant tarps over them to provide shade and protection from the UV rays.  Still you don't have kiddos out when its 100+ mid day.  We don't get into the 100's til mid July to mid Sept.

-------------
    Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:37pm
    I tried to permatan Little Face one time when he was Toddler Face. Took 2 days at the park, but I got him to that little girl's color. I was so damn happy.....for 2 weeks.

-------------

Posted By: keepgrowing
    Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:47pm
    This reminds me of this hilarious story of this girl in my class in college giving a heartfelt story about how she used to be light skinneded, but her mom left her out in the sun too long when they were on the beach when she was little one day and now her skin is permanently damaged. Me and my friend gave each other the Confused and then we busted out laughing. She is about the same color as the girl in the OP. 

She shared a pic of her daughter who is lightskinned and she was like oh she got that color from me and thats when the heart wrenching story of the darkening of her skin occurring took place. lmfao people are sick.

-------------
    You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.

Posted By: Lilaca
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 4:02am
    rickets

tis all

-------------

Posted By: Cream1970
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 10:00am
    Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

I was just going to start a thread about the coveting of light skin in the south.

I'm from the South and my extended family sent all of our yella azzes outside to play and work. No one ever said to put a hat or sunscreen on to keep us light. LOL

"Staying light" was NEVER discussed and I never saw/heard anyone that was light put effort into staying light.

Actually, the only ppl I've personally ever heard they were avoiding the sun to not get dark were darker ppl.

-------------

Posted By: Princess_S
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 10:07am
    Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

THIS

Posted By: Princess_S
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 10:08am

I tried to permatan Little Face one time when he was Toddler Face. Took 2 days at the park, but I got him to that little girl's color. I was so damn happy.....for 2 weeks.

LOLLOL

Posted By: Qualified
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 10:51am
    A tan is the least of that child's worries.

-------------
    I Would rather eat crumbs with bums than share steak with snakes-

The token "instigatory thanks" on nonsenical posts always kill me.

Posted By: BoutThatLife
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 9:23pm
    Some of the older women in my family used to do this when we were kids. Anyone darker than a paper bag couldnt play out in the sun because we would lose our skin tone

That reminds me, I did not wear sunscreen at all during the epic summer this year, and I'm still darker than usual b/c of it.

-------------
    I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: Cream1970
    Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 11:04pm
    Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Some of the older women in my family used to do this when we were kids. Anyone darker than a paper bag couldnt play out in the sun because we would lose our skin tone

That reminds me, I did not wear sunscreen at all during the epic summer this year, and I'm still darker than usual b/c of it.

Where did you grow up?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window