Print Page | Close Window

Mid-strand splits on relaxed hair

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Breakage
Forum Description: Hair Breakage issues, solutions, and discussions
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352360
Printed Date: Sep 21 2018 at 10:47am


Topic: Mid-strand splits on relaxed hair
Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Subject: Mid-strand splits on relaxed hair
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:57pm

So I'm continuously getting mid-strand splits. I'm just from doing a major trim but my hair is still plagued with them. One thing I don't understand though, is that in the beginning of my journey, I don't recall having any. And as my journey progresses, I seem to be getting more and more. I honestly don't understand. I'm just from recovering from a protein overload situation, so needless to say, my hair isn't lacking protein. Also I'm relaxed, well more texlaxed than relaxed. I have noticed that the splits usually occur next to the kinks in my hair. I mostly airdry. So what could be causing this? Could it be the texture of my hair due to texlaxing? What should I do?



-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com



Replies:
Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:51pm
wow idk kunoichi nindroid. I've never had a midstrand split, but if i had to guess i'd wager it's probly, as you suggested, due to the relaxed portion meeting with the natural, and it probably creates a bubble of weakness because of the drastically differing textures. I would imagine that's the cause of them. As for what you can do about them...well, i would say that if they're not breaking and you would rather not sacrifice your length, then hang onto them and just trim gradually if you're at a length you're comfortable with, until eventually you reach the midstrand split and can trim it away. if you have splits of the traveling variety, then you might consider cutting off the compromised length. monitor them for a few months and make sure they don't worsen, and then see if it'll require any action on your part. good luck! 

-------------
4 inches to BSB!
**SL reached June 2013**
Check out my blog at http://thegrowthexperience.blogspot.com


Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 8:22pm
If your hair is splitting mid shaft, this means your hair is weak from the relaxer chemicals. Your protein bonds have been weakened to the point that they split. The number one things that damages our protein bonds is a relaxer no matter how mild of one you use. Your hair strands have lost keratin, so your hair needs extra reinforcements in order to keep from splitting even further. Brushing, constant manipulation, relaxer chemicals, poor diet and some medications weaken our protein bonds and cause our hair to break. If you do not already take a vitamin hair supplement this is a good time to start but this will only help the new hair which grows from the scalp. You can strengthen your hair strands with protein to keep them from breaking even further. Then blast your hair with moisture. If you do not want to use protein you can try black tea rinses. The bad thing about relaxers is that they can do okay on our hair for years and then start to give you issues. This is because our health needs change each year we get older. Most times we do not know we are deficient in a particular nutrient until it starts to affect our hair. If it is affecting our hair or nails it is also affecting our bodies. 

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 5:01pm
@Veemack, I just recovered from a protein overload. How can you say my hair needs more protein? Infact the splits were more prominent when I was airdrying with protein overload. Btw, mid-strand splits are more common in natural hair because of the bends. There's an article about on Natural Haven. I doubt it's the relaxer because the more processed parts of my hair have no problems at all. Infacts I barely have to trim the sides where the relaxer took more but everywhere else it's split city.
@littlebabybug, I've finally concluded that it's due to the texture. I've explained most of my hypothesis above. Man, I thought I was doing my hair a favor by texlaxing. These mid strand splits feel like a death sentence.

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: Love555
Date Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 9:37am
@Kunoichi, have you been deep conditioning and moisture lately???
What is your regimen?
Keeping your hair hydrate will prevent dry hair. If hair is not hydrated and if it stays dry it can result to split ends.
A lot of manipulation like combing and brushing can cause split ends.
Coloring, relaxers, telaxer can result into having to up you moisture and protein.
Heat can be a big factor to split ends to.
Low manipulation styles and protective will help reduce the need to find splits end in your hair.

This article might be helpful: http://www.blackhairscience.com/dealing-with-split-ends/" rel="nofollow - http://www.blackhairscience.com/dealing-with-split-ends/


Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

@Veemack, I just recovered from a protein overload. How can you say my hair needs more protein? Infact the splits were more prominent when I was airdrying with protein overload. Btw, mid-strand splits are more common in natural hair because of the bends. There's an article about on Natural Haven. I doubt it's the relaxer because the more processed parts of my hair have no problems at all. Infacts I barely have to trim the sides where the relaxer took more but everywhere else it's split city.
@littlebabybug, I've finally concluded that it's due to the texture. I've explained most of my hypothesis above. Man, I thought I was doing my hair a favor by texlaxing. These mid strand splits feel like a death sentence.

i imagine they would. i'd be horrified! i guess some people's hair takes better to relaxing while others takes better to texlaxing. i'll be lurking about to see if you're able to find a solution without having to trim. i'd hate for you to, especially since your hair is so long. Cry *hates it whenever long haired folks cut their hair*. i wish you all the best! Thumbs Up


-------------
4 inches to BSB!
**SL reached June 2013**
Check out my blog at http://thegrowthexperience.blogspot.com


Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 1:39am
Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

@Veemack, I just recovered from a protein overload. How can you say my hair needs more protein? Infact the splits were more prominent when I was airdrying with protein overload. Btw, mid-strand splits are more common in natural hair because of the bends. There's an article about on Natural Haven. I doubt it's the relaxer because the more processed parts of my hair have no problems at all. Infacts I barely have to trim the sides where the relaxer took more but everywhere else it's split city.
@littlebabybug, I've finally concluded that it's due to the texture. I've explained most of my hypothesis above. Man, I thought I was doing my hair a favor by texlaxing. These mid strand splits feel like a death sentence.
I can say it because once that hair strand splits, that is it. Only two things to do: mend it with hydrolyzed keratin protein or cut it off.  You doubt it is the relaxer? Relaxers break down the hair strands and leave it vulnerable to all sorts of EXTRA damage. Relaxed hair or texlaxed hair is just damaged hair. This is why protein treatments are so important to maintain relaxed chemically treated hair. People need to understand this when they choose to relax that you are damaging your hair.  When you take protein away from the hair structure you need to add protein back on the average persons hair. Even if your hair does not respond bad to the chemicals for years, one day it can start, because your hair is old and tired. This is one of the problems with chemicals is that they are unpredictable. So you need to do things such as protein treatments (used properly) to strengthen your hair to counteract the unpredictability of the chemically treated hair.

I have been doing natural hair for 20 years, this is not common under normal haircare circumstances. But when you add chemicals anything can happen. Mid strand splits are not more common in natural hair because of the coils. Mid strands splits signal that there is some harsh damage within your hair structure. The protein strand is tired and just gives up. Mid shaft splits are worst than split ends, because eventually you will lose more length. Because make no mistake you will eventually have to cut those mid strand splits. Any protein treatment is only temporary, it is not permanent. This is why all the talk about protein overload is more so people repeating what is a popular explanation on hair forums. A professional stylist examining you hair strands, will be the only one to truly tell you if your have protein overload.

Basically weak compromised hair splits.
Once your hair splits
You can mend it. But just like a flat tired you will eventually have to remove it and allow new healthier strands to replace it.

If you decide to continue to relax then you will need to replace the missing protein that the relaxer causes, or you will continue to have this problem. I also recommend taking a vitamin supplement to strengthen your hair strands. But remember you can have strong hair growing from your roots, apply chemicals to the strands and totally destroy the hair strand. And just because it looks good does not mean it is healthy. After a time it will start to split and break. So this is my solution to your OP, hope it works out for you. Anymore questions just email me, that is quicker to check. Blessings!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 2:17am
Originally posted by littlebabybug littlebabybug wrote:

Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

@Veemack, I just recovered from a protein overload. How can you say my hair needs more protein? Infact the splits were more prominent when I was airdrying with protein overload. Btw, mid-strand splits are more common in natural hair because of the bends. There's an article about on Natural Haven. I doubt it's the relaxer because the more processed parts of my hair have no problems at all. Infacts I barely have to trim the sides where the relaxer took more but everywhere else it's split city.
@littlebabybug, I've finally concluded that it's due to the texture. I've explained most of my hypothesis above. Man, I thought I was doing my hair a favor by texlaxing. These mid strand splits feel like a death sentence.

i imagine they would. i'd be horrified! i guess some people's hair takes better to relaxing while others takes better to texlaxing. i'll be lurking about to see if you're able to find a solution without having to trim. i'd hate for you to, especially since your hair is so long. Cry *hates it whenever long haired folks cut their hair*. i wish you all the best! Thumbs Up

Lol. My hair ain't long, it was barely APL. I did a major trim to SL last month but it didn't get rid of most of the splits. Since I just recovered from my protein overload situ I think I'll try to just grow out the split ends. I'm doing lots of growth challenges this year. Usually I'd agree with the 'health before length' motto but I think that's a lot easier to say when all your hair can fit in a bun LOL



-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 2:52am

@Veemack I'm already aware of everything you're saying. I know you're just itching to tell me to go natural. Why I say it may have been caused by the texture of my hair.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/07/mid-shaft-splits-cause-and-prevention.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/07/mid-shaft-splits-cause-and-prevention.html

I was just hoping someone else could come here and tell me their experience with relaxed hair and mid strand splits.



-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: Aerie
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 6:23pm
I'm natural with mid-strand splits, I believe are from lack of hydration + heat abuse/damage.

I think your hair just suffering from damage, @Veemack is right in suggestion Keratin protein treatments. 
Keratin helps to heal those gaps in your hair, which tends to be a result of loss of keratin. 

If you had a protein overload, it was likely not from Keratin, but another protein since there are many kinds. 

I suggest getting good hydrolyzed Keratin conditioners and treatments to do on you hair. 


Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jan 19 2013 at 5:15am
I was natural with mid strand splits. Too many and I eventually relaxed. I don't think I ever had midstrand splits while relaxed.

I thought it was because of my tangle teaser or maxi glide. I don't know. What do you use to style your hair?


-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Feb 08 2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

I was natural with mid strand splits. Too many and I eventually relaxed. I don't think I ever had midstrand splits while relaxed.

I thought it was because of my tangle teaser or maxi glide. I don't know. What do you use to style your hair?


I use a comb on wash days and my fingers on other days. I just realized my comb has seams. Maybe that could be it?



-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: KikiScorpio92
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 6:50am
Hey Kunoichi :)

I am natural and had crazy amount of mid strand and split ends.
The thing I feel helped eliminate them first time around ( I'm slowly coming out of another issue with these as I got lazy LOL):
* Coconut Oil helps to penetrate the strand and keep them together and prevents the problem for a good amount of time. I apply it twice a day to the last few inches of hair mostly now.

* Trimming more regularly helped but I felt that applying coconut oil and cutting away at them less trims were needed. Honestly! I was checking my ends a lot and no splits, none!

* Seamless combs now when I first started my journey I didn't know the difference and one day I as reading about combs with seams and decided to buy a wooden one, I noticed a big difference in the amounts of splits I was getting. I also added a lot more finger detangling to my regimen.

* I was wearing twists and braids a lot the first time around so whether that was a factor in the prevention I'm not sure but I got good growth from keeping them up off my shoulders etc.


The only other thing I can say is don't slack off if your serious about keeping your length, be consistent with a practice to see if you can turn the issue around sooner rather than later

Hope i helped a little :) 


-------------


Posted By: yahya
Date Posted: Feb 09 2013 at 2:19pm
"Relaxed hair or texlaxed hair is just damaged hair."
"Even if your hair does not respond bad to the chemicals for years, one day it can start, because your hair is old and tired."

sorry Veemack, but that's just untrue. relaxed hair, colored hair, bleached hair, etc, they are damaged hair... after going through the chemical process. they don't stay damaged forever. like you said, you build up the protein, ph, and moisture back by doing the proper treatments. technically all hair is "just damaged", but also, no hair is damaged. hair is dead, you can't really damage it or make it healthy. "damaged" hair really means cosmetically unappealing microscopic hair and "healthy" hair is cosmetically appealing hair. and hair can get "damaged" in the easiest way, by wind, sun, water, even naturals have damaged hair. chemical processes and heat damage the hair on a higher level, but you can make it healthy again. the more damaged the hair, the more you have to take care of it, like you said. but it's not as big a deal as you make it. I see naturals get protein overload, moisture overload, heat damage, mid shaft split ends, detangling problems, dry hair problems, styling problems, etc. pretty much the same amount of problems relaxed heads have, more depending on the person. if our hair was perfect, shampoo, conditioners, oils, any products, they wouldn't have an affect on the hair. it's because our hair is damaged that products can fix our hair. if our hair didn't need any fixing, products wouldn't work. my sources: the science of black hair. 

and I get the unpredictable part, but you apply relaxer to the new growth of your hair. the youngest part. how can the hair start responding badly because it's old and tired? do you mean the ends of your hair? but her hair is currently armpit/ shoulder length? how is it old?? and everyone hair's weakest point is their ends, not just relaxed heads. or do you mean old people's (sorry old people) hair? she's young! no need to worry about that for a while. ^_^'

I'm sorry for the criticism, not trying to sound harsh, but honestly, there's no need to make the relaxed hair is weaker speech every time you talk to someone with relaxed hair. have you ever had relaxed hair? I understand you might be taking it from your personal experience,  but it gets repetitive. when replying to a relaxed head with a problem it always goes "your hair is dry/has splits/is breaking/etc because you have relaxed hair, and the relaxer process..." not every problem is because of having relaxed hair. 

putting that aside, keratin protein is good for split-ends, but be careful! since you just got over protein overload, I don't recommend using it until your hair is at 100% again. I'd slowly introduce protein again by mixing it with moisturizing conditioners. but I'm not sure about the belief that only certain proteins cause protein overload, or that using a different protein won't bring you back to protein overload. that doesn't really make sense to me...   

and yes, a comb with a seam weakens the hair, which can eventually lead to mid-shaft split ends. 


-------------

http://pocahontas-secrets.blogspot.com/


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Feb 10 2013 at 1:27am
@Kiki Thanks loads. That's some really useful stuff. I never thought about getting a wooden comb. I always read about bone and horn combs and thought I'd order one online but they're quite expensive. And with shipping? Lol. Didn't feel like it'd be worth it. But the nice thing about living in Africa is I can find someone to craft me a wooden comb right around the corner for peanuts! Lol, well it's peanuts compared to what I'd pay ordering a bone comb online. Now there's a plan.

@yahya I'm not buying what Veemack's saying either. I wonder if she read the part where I said the places where my hair is relaxed fully don't have split ends at all as opposed to the texlaxed parts. I don't know if it's relaxed hair hate but I'm getting tired of it too. If relaxed hair really was just damaged hair then I doubt we'd be seeing people get to waist length and beyond.


-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: KikiScorpio92
Date Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 1:55pm
Sounds like an awesome plan and won't cost much. I really hope you get these issues sorted, update us when things turn around for you :)

-------------


Posted By: k.muhammad
Date Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 1:41am
I now have mid shaft splits. I've read all articles having to do with them and the only question I have is....do I have to cut the rest of my hair to match the length of where my hair is split? That's what my stylist says but it makes no sense to me. My hair for the most part is healthy. I oil my scalp 3x a week and every 2 weeks I get my hair washed and straightened. My hair is relaxed but I haven't gotten my hair relaxed in 2 months (almost 3). I never use heat on my hair except every 2 weeks when I go to the stylist. Could it be the heat I use every 2 weeks is too much? Im also about to buy a bone comb and get rid of the brushes and combs that I have. I'm trying to reach waist length but my hair is taking forever.



Print Page | Close Window