Print Page | Close Window

Relocation Thread!

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352305
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 9:22am

Topic: Relocation Thread!
Posted By: nappyhead23
Subject: Relocation Thread!
Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 5:56am
Hi Guys,

I'm typically a lurker but thought Id start a thread for those who are thinking about relocating. I'm 28,single black female from Boston with no kids. I will be graduating with MA in Counseling Psychology in May, 2013. I want to move right after graduation. I am considering Houston, Dallas, Charl citiesotte,and Dc. Any thoughts on these cities? If anyone has any questions about a particular city feel free to ask. We can all help each other!

I have lived in Boston all my life. It's a beautiful citu but sucks if you are a black professional
Pros: great restaurants, some of the best colleges and hospital in the world. Pretty good place to raise a family. There is a great art scene if you ate in to that.

Cons: Expensive to live (rent is crazy high and so are yhe property taxes, the night life does not cater to black professionals, dating sucks if you are a black woman. Many of tge blacl men prefer white women. People in Boston (both black and white) are not friendly.

Anything else you want to know about Boston feel free to ask!

Replies:
Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 5:58am
Sorry for the typos! I am typing on my phone! I meant to say that i am interested in Dallas, Houston, Chatlotte and Dc. Thanks!

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 10:51am
Best wishes nd congratulations!

If you can take the heat, I say move to Dallas or Houston!

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: juniordetective
Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 11:28am
I don't live in DC but I live near it. It's pretty expensive...there is stuff to do around there. I don't know much about jobs there, since I am in college myself. But I'm sure you could find a job pertaining to your degree. I wouldn't recommend moving to Southeast...

-------------
So now we got signatures....(4/13/2011)

Posted By: Babydoll9163
Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 11:35am
Congratulations on your Masters! Always great to see a black professional doing her thing Clap

I'm not terribly familiar with the places listed but aren't Dallas, Houston, and DC all expensive as far as cost of living? 

I've never relocated for anything other than school. So if I were you I'd start with looking for jobs in those areas, most places make you apply online anyways. Then look up real estate/apartments in those areas and assess if you can handle the cost of living.

-------------
Stupid ppl are like a unicorn. They too do not exist. They are just liberated... liberated from knowledge. -nycdiva

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 11:41am
I need to get to a computer to give my advice. Be back in a few

-------------
Be humble or get him humbled

Ignore typos...autocorrect won't let me be great

Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Best wishes nd congratulations!

If you can take the heat, I say move to Dallas or Houston!

Thanks so much!!!! I appreciate your kind words and suggestions!

Date Posted: Dec 18 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#ff33cc">Congratulations on your Masters! Always great to see a black professional doing her thing Clap
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#ff33cc">
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#ff33cc">I'm not terribly familiar with the places listed but aren't Dallas, Houston, and DC all expensive as far as cost of living? 
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#ff33cc">

Thanks Babydoll!
<font ="Apple-style-span" size="3" color="#ff33cc">I've never relocated for anything other than school. So if I were you I'd start with looking for jobs in those areas, most places make you apply online anyways. Then look up real estate/apartments in those areas and assess if you can handle the cost of living.

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:33am
Bump for more responses

Posted By: Findingmyme
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 10:46am
I live outside of DC (Arlington) and I love it! But as someone else said, it's crazy expensive! But worth it!

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 1:01pm
Come to Dallas

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Posted By: solena
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 1:07pm
Charlotte is nice but I' think you'd like houston or Dallas. D.C . Is expensive you'd be better off in V.A. Maybe MD

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 1:49pm
Have you thought about moving to Atlanta? Rental property and real estate is pretty darn cheap due to foreclosures and overall bad economy. The weather is great, good people, night life is AWESOME for black professionals, jobs are scarce but if you know people and network, you will be good.

I lived here all my life and I love it.

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 1:56pm
I hate Bean town too btw

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Findingmyme Findingmyme wrote:

I live outside of DC (Arlington) and I love it! But as someone else said, it's crazy expensive! But worth it!

Good to know! I visited Dc several times, but I know living somewhere is a whole another story. Thanks :)

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

I hate Bean town too btw

Yeah Im over Boston. I cant wait to leave!!!

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by solena solena wrote:

Charlotte is nice but I' think you'd like houston or Dallas. D.C . Is expensive you'd be better off in V.A. Maybe MD

Thanks Solena :). Is Charlotte boring?

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Come to Dallas

Thanks Yaya! Would you mind telling me a little bit about Dallas?

Posted By: solena
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by nappyhead23 nappyhead23 wrote:

Originally posted by solena solena wrote:

Thanks Solena :). Is Charlotte boring?

to me yes but its cheap

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:09pm
Charlotte is clean and pretty and cheap. Texas gets a bad rap but if you're in a city with a large population of black people, you'll probably love it. Houston and Dallas are both nice. Except for the hot sticky humidity, I really like Houston.  

-------------
As a species,human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from.
-Agent Smith

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

Charlotte is clean and pretty and cheap. Texas gets a bad rap but if you're in a city with a large population of black people, you'll probably love it. Houston and Dallas are both nice. Except for the hot sticky humidity, I really like Houston.  

Thanks Im really considering dallas or houston. It seems like a lot of people find Charlotte boring. I def want a city with things to do. I'm not into the club scene, but I like lounges or places where I can meet other black professionals.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:27pm
Go where they offer a great job and a relocation package!

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:31pm
I live in San Antonio, TX and it's regularly voted  one of the best cities to live in. Texas has an amazing economy and lower cost if living rates.

It's a big, slow, country city. Nothing like Dallas, Houston, NY, LA or Chicago.

-------------

Posted By: BaileyAlexandria
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:46pm
I'm thinking of Moving to Nashville, Knoxville or Chattanooga Ten-eye-see.

any advice? suggestions? help a sistah out!

OP I LOVE THIS THREAD!Hug I've been doing this on my own and research is hard from a one sided view Thumbs Down

-------------
Sometimes the cup you bear is not easy, but in your suffering God is going to get the glory.

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 5:50pm
Last year I wanted to move to Florida. But now I know better. are there any bhmers living in Hawaii?

Posted By: LFdiva
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:21pm
^^i wanted to move to hawaii!! but its spensive and I aint got the body to be runnin around with no clothes on lol...I want to relocate to chicago then once I am finished with school find a job in NY. I would totes move to houston or dallas but the weather will make me miserable alone!! 

-------------
I smoke a million Swisher blunts and I ain't never coming down
Bitch you ain't no Barbie, I see you work at Arby's.
Number 2, super-sized, hurry up I'm starving!

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by LFdiva LFdiva wrote:

^^i wanted to move to hawaii!! but its spensive and I aint got the body to be runnin around with no clothes on lol...I want to relocate to chicago then once I am finished with school find a job in NY. I would totes move to houston or dallas but the weather will make me miserable alone!! 

she's an imposter^

-------------
Sometimes the cup you bear is not easy, but in your suffering God is going to get the glory.

Posted By: LFdiva
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by BaileyAlexandria BaileyAlexandria wrote:

your life's an imposter! #BOOM

she's an imposter^

-------------
I smoke a million Swisher blunts and I ain't never coming down
Bitch you ain't no Barbie, I see you work at Arby's.
Number 2, super-sized, hurry up I'm starving!

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:24pm
What the hayell is going on?

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:26pm
Hawaii is crazy expensive. A small 1 bedroom was like $800 dollars 20 yrs ago. Can only imagine how much it is now.

-------------

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:28pm
O_o???

OP, Charlotte is cool but it can get boring, NC in general can become really boring but its cool if you're raising a family. If you're single and looking to explore Id say Houston and if you're feeling really risky, Id say shoot for NYC. Best decision I've ever made (from NC-NYC). I dont think Id even begin to entertain the idea of moving back for a very long time.

-------------
I Would rather eat crumbs with bums than share steak with snakes-

The token "instigatory thanks" on nonsenical posts always kill me.

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:53pm

your life's an imposter! #BOOM

she's an imposter^

you quoted within my quote dummy LOL

this is my best fraaann yall :) 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

O_o???

OP, Charlotte is cool but it can get boring, NC in general can become really boring but its cool if you're raising a family. If you're single and looking to explore Id say Houston and if you're feeling really risky, Id say shoot for NYC. Best decision I've ever made (from NC-NYC). I dont think Id even begin to entertain the idea of moving back for a very long time.

Thanks! This is so helpdul. I actuallt find NYC overwheming. Its only a few hours from me so I go all the time. It is very eclectic which I like!

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:55pm
Qualified if you dont mind me asking, how old were you when you moved? Had you ever lived on your own before? What were your struggles? my best friend ^ wants to move and welp...I'll let her explain.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:56pm

OP I LOVE THIS THREAD!Hug I've been doing this on my own and research is hard from a one sided view Thumbs Down

I glad people find this thread helpful . Hopefully some of the Tennesse ladies can help you out!

Posted By: atexaschick
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 6:57pm
I live in Dallas, I say move to Houston....or Austin

-------------
"Narrow-minded people think black is either light vs dark (no in-betweens), natural=nappy, and african american is a race"

I'm a woman of God "fuk all ya'll who don't believe it"-Joseline

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 7:00pm
You guys might want to check out the subreddits on reddit.com for the places you're interested (for example, reddit.com/r/houston). Might give another perspective. 

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by atexaschick atexaschick wrote:

Thanks! Do you dislike Dallas?

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

You guys might want to check out the subreddits on reddit.com for the places you're interested (for example, reddit.com/r/houston). Might give another perspective. 

Thanks!

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

Last year I wanted to move to Florida. But now I know better. are there any bhmers living in Hawaii?

I believe Zupreme used to live in Hawaii. She's an older poster not sure if she is still a member.

Posted By: Untitled_Diva
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 8:05pm

I would NOT recommend Knoxville. Lived there most of my life. Not a good place for single black women. There is no night life. Most black men date white women. If I had to choose I think you would like Nashville wayyy better than knoxville. After that Chattanooga. Please do not move to Knoxville you will not like it there.

Posted By: atexaschick
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 8:50pm

Originally posted by atexaschick atexaschick wrote:

Thanks! Do you dislike Dallas?
I don't dislike it I just like the Houston vibe better, but either way there are alot of black people in both cities and a good nightlife

-------------
"Narrow-minded people think black is either light vs dark (no in-betweens), natural=nappy, and african american is a race"

I'm a woman of God "fuk all ya'll who don't believe it"-Joseline

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

The Carolina's have a better cost of living, but Houston all the way. It's sweaty, Black, and down right delicious....never a dull moment Cool.

Posted By: Gemini26
Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 1:24am
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I live in San Antonio, TX and it's regularly voted  one of the best cities to live in. Texas has an amazing economy and lower cost if living rates.

It's a big, slow, country city. Nothing like Dallas, Houston, NY, LA or Chicago.

I 2nd this. I live in Dallas right now, but I would choose San Antonio over Dallas any day. My first choice in Texas would be Austin, then San Antonio, Houston, Dallas...

If u have children I would say live in San Antonio and make the less than an hour drive to Austin to hang out. Dallas is decent but I feel like a little old lady living here. Thank goodness I'm moving soon! Good luck OP!

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 1:53am

I glad people find this thread helpful . Hopefully some of the Tennesse ladies can help you out!

Chattanooga is boring and there is nothing in Knoxville outside of UTKnox.

I lived in Nashville for almost 7 years. Its the best of both worlds cause of it's central location to so many other cities, low cost of living and its a melting pot bc of all the schools in the area.

I moved because I wanted a "faster" city but it was cool when I lived there.

-------------
She hurt feelings, she break hearts
She stay quiet, she play smart
She take pride, in going out
Getting hollered at, and saying nah....

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 8:27am
My vote is for Philadelphia (even though you didnt mention it lol) or DC area (even Maryland). 

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 8:48am
Houston, TX was the first place I moved to after leaving my hometown of Seattle, Washington. I moved there because I used to go there to kick it with my home girl and was sold on the nightlife and all of the black folks down thur...but ummm...after 4 months living there I couldn't take it anymore. Living there and visiting are two different things. I didn't like the fact that you have to drive everywhere because the mass transit sucks and it was overall really spread out kind of like Los Angeles...just wasn't my cup of tea. I hopped on a train to NYC and never looked back other than to visit my home girl and even then I've only been once since I left. Northern NJ is the area I recommend if you want to live in near NYC, but don't want to be in the city. Bergen county is an amazing location. I absolutely loved living in NJ, it was like the best of both worlds..I could work and have a good time in NY and go home to peace and quiet. The cost of living in Northern NJ is pretty pricey, but the jobs in NY pay pretty well. I had a car, but I only needed to drive it on the weekends.
Whenever I return to the states I have considered living in Charlotte, Dallas, San Diego, Arizona or Northern NJ again. I've been to San Diego it is a gorgeous city and has good weather all year round..not too hot and doesn't get too cold. I only went to Dallas for a day and didn't really get to see Dallas, but I know a lot of people who moved there and they like it..but they do have families, not sure how it is for a single woman. I've never been to NC or Arizona, but I've heard good things.
Good luck! Relocating is fun:)

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 9:45am
Thanks Khivey for the detailed feedback! This will be my first time relocating. Im nervous and excited at the same time!

Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Gemini26 Gemini26 wrote:

Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I 2nd this. I live in Dallas right now, but I would choose San Antonio over Dallas any day. My first choice in Texas would be Austin, then San Antonio, Houston, Dallas...

Thanks! I dont have kids so maybe Houston will be a better fit.

If u have children I would say live in San Antonio and make the less than an hour drive to Austin to hang out. Dallas is decent but I feel like a little old lady living here. Thank goodness I'm moving soon! Good luck OP!

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:03am
Bump for more responses

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 10:41am
I am not from Texas but spent time there IMO Houston is a better city for black professionals than Dallas.Both are beautiful though but I love the East coast so I could never live there.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 12:12pm

I vote for Houston

Pros: cheap cost of living, great weather (you can wear shorts year-round), real estate is dirt cheap, city is spread out and one of the fastest growing in the country, great night life, very diverse culturally, economy has been stable (oil & gas and medical/healthcare industries are big), texas is a right-to-work state and also has no state income tax.

Cons: humidity can be a mutha (great for skin though); light rail is not citywide yet, so you'll definitely need a car.

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 9:39pm
I'm a student living in DC, so I'm not too sure if my opinion is valid, but as previous posters mentioned - D.C. is expensive!
I love the transit system, though.

Posted By: cvzx
Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 8:02am
This is a good Thread. I want to relocate and Texas was on my list. I just need to visit and see if I can live there.

Print Page | Close Window