Print Page | Close Window

Teacher suspended for suicide assignment

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352085
Printed Date: Jul 21 2018 at 4:39pm

Topic: Teacher suspended for suicide assignment
Posted By: Naturalchick30
Subject: Teacher suspended for suicide assignment
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:05pm

French teacher suspended for asking pupils to write suicide notes

A French teacher has been suspended for asking his class of 13-year olds to write their own suicide note, sparking a row over whether the task was shockingly inappropriate or instructive.

French teacher suspended for asking pupils to write suicide notes
Geneviève Fioraso, France's higher education minister, waded in Photo: GETTY

By , Paris

3:11PM GMT 11 Dec 2012

The unnamed teacher handed out a homework note to pupils of the collège Antoine-Delafont, a secondary school in Montmoreau-Saint-Cybard southwestern http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france" rel="nofollow -

It read: "You've just turned 18 and have decided to end your life. Your decision appears irrevocable. As a final effort, you decide to explain the reasons for your act.

"In setting out your self-portrait, you describe all the disgust you feel for yourself. Your text must bring up certain events in your life at the root of this feeling."

A group of shocked parents wrote an anonymous note to the headmaster and local school authority, saying: "We are horrified that this type of topic should be proposed to children between 13 and 14 years old."

One parent, Béatrice Goupilleau, told Le Charente Libre, the local newspaper, that her son was embarrassed to let her see his suicide note and the teacher's comment, which read: "Not precise enough."

"Thank goodness for that!," she exclaimed.

Another, Hélène Ferrari, said: "What shocks me is linking autobiography with suicide, it's really over the top."

Christophe Clément, president of the FCPE parents' union in Montmoreau, said such a subject is "practically inciting (pupils) to commit suicide."

Jean-Marie Renault, the local education authority head, said the teacher had been officially notified of his suspension, adding: "Telling a pupil that he is about to end his life and that he must recount it appears troubling to us."

His local authority has had to cope with two pupil suicides in recent months.

Geneviève Fioraso, France's higher education minister, waded in, saying: "If the topic was launched in this way, without accompaniment, without context, it's dangerous."

But as the media storm around the suspension grew, many colleagues, parents and pupils rallied behind the teacher.

One pupil, Lola, said: "He's our favourite teacher, the best we've ever had in this school. We don't want him to be punished."

Villagers were generally supportive, with one young mother telling Charente Libre: "What do you think they talk about in the playground? The images they see on TV are far more shocking."

"Suicide is part of daily life. Perhaps the teacher wished to raise their awareness of the issue," said another.

By Tuesday afternoon, an umbrella group of parents issued a statement calling for the teacher's "immediate return to his post for the good of our children". Pupils and teachers "appreciate the qualities of this teacher," they said.

Media coverage of the affair had been "over the top and inappropriate", they added, noting that the subject had "not shocked" pupils at it had been "well presented" by the teacher.

The local SUD-Education union said the suspension was a "bad response taken in haste under pressure from a part of public opinion".

Commenting on NouvelObs website, French teacher Yves Delaie said the affair highlighted a huge problem with post-1968 teaching in France, namely "Wanting at all costs the pupil to talk about himself."

Thoughts?  Do you agree with his suspension or do you think that suicide should be discussed in school?  On another site, someone commented saying that the assignment could help detect signs of distress and cries for help..

Replies:
Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:25pm
She should be fired Wtf?

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:26pm
Interesting....
I'm all for creative writing.

-------------

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:29pm
i like to be creative but...you never really know what someone is going through...thats not something you want kids doing. heck its been over 10 years since i've been suicidal and i still wouldnt touch that subject.

Geek

-------------

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:31pm
She should of just told them to write their own eulogy, would of been in better taste.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:31pm
I remember we had to write epitaphs one day.

-------------

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:33pm
Suicide should be discussed but not like this....

-------------
yo

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:34pm
I feel like parents should discuss suicide with their children if they notice signs that something may be wrong.  I have an issue with it being taught in school though.

Posted By: grandhustle
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:45pm
I had to write my own suicide note in college. I was like then....if I was 13... I'm not sure I'd be equipped to do so. It really takes an emotional toll on you.

Posted By: SensitiveSwag
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:52pm
LOL

-------------

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:00pm
SMH . I pray no children act out his sick fantasy .

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:06pm
That is highly inappropriate, especially for families with children undergoing mental health issues. That is the last thing a parent needs to see their child write.

-------------

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:08pm
That's not good

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:29pm
I heard the parents and the students were okay with it.

-------------

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:48pm
i didnt read but what was this supposed to accomplish? i couldnt imagine a sound minded (assuming most of them were) 13 y.o. even knowing what to write...I dont think suicide should be discussed in the classroom until at least jr year in hs....

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:50pm
Omgosh

-------------

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:51pm
It's French class. Teach them French. She should b fired

-------------
i lost all my baby weight: )

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:56pm
wtf is she a psychiatrist now? do your damn job, lady.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 9:56pm
as many times as i've wanted to go, i never wrote a letter 

i think we send out texts and tweets now

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Lol. He's a teacher in France.
I guess he would be a French teacher though....kinda like we have English teachers. 

-------------

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:08pm

The part that disturbed me is that the teacher asked the students to write about how DISGUSTED they are with themselves and to write about the root of that feeling

that sounds like the teacher is projecting his mental issues onto the students instead of teaching them about 

the value of life, 
the legacy they would like to leave behind, 
the type of life they want to live, 
what they've already done in their young lives and 
the effects their death would have on their family and friends

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

She should of just told them to write their own eulogy, would of been in better taste.

This.  I had to do this as an assignment before.

Just the phrase "suicide note" sounds.....some type of way.   Eulogy sounds.....softer and nicer....like you died of some sort of natural causes.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

The part that disturbed me is that the teacher asked the students to write about how DISGUSTED they are with themselves and to write about root of that feeling

that sounds like the teacher is projecting their mental issues onto the students instead of teaching them about the value of life and the effects their death would have on their family and friends

that was a bit much.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Creole.....LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window