Print Page | Close Window

Why thin people are not fat

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=352065
Printed Date: Nov 24 2017 at 9:51am

Topic: Why thin people are not fat
Posted By: Immie89
Subject: Why thin people are not fat
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:11pm

You probably know at least a couple of people who just don't seem to get fat no matter how much they eat. Some of them don't even do much exercise. But is it really true that some of us gain weight more easily than others, or do thin people just eat less calories?

Most of the studies on obesity and weight loss have been done on subjects who are overweight to begin with. A BBC Horizon documentary titled Why are thin people not fat? looked at the obesity problem from a different angle. They chose subjects who were naturally thin and stuffed them with excess calories. None of the participants had watched their food intake before, but their weight had remained roughly the same for years.

The subjects were told to eat at least double their usual calories and to avoid exercise for four weeks. The target energy intake for men was 5,000 kcal and somewhat less for women. The purpose was to find out whether naturally thin people would start gaining weight, given a sufficiently large amount of calories. It was no exercise in healthy eating either: the menu included processed, calorie-dense foods such as cakes and milkshakes. Precisely the kind of thing that should make one fat.

The documentary begins by mentioning a similar experiment done on Vermont prison inmates in 1967. The inmates were grossly overfed with the purpose of studying the hormonal changes that happen when a person becomes obese. The prisoners who signed up were promised an earlier release.

Each inmate was supposed to increase their body weight by 25 percent. However, as the experiment progressed, it turned out that no matter how high the energy intake got, some of the inmates could not reach their targets. Despite eating and eating, they just didn't gain enough weight. One of them could not increase his body weight more than 18%, even though his daily calorie intake reached a whopping 10,000 kcal.

For years, experts argued over the results of the Vermont prison study. According to the classical model of calories in, calories out, such high intakes should have led to a dramatic weight gain, especially since exercise was forbidden during the experiment. So how did some of the inmates stay thin?

This is the question that the BBC experiment tries to answer. I recommend watching the whole documentary, but here's a summary of the results:

• All participants had trouble reaching their energy intake goals
  • Energy-dense foods such as chocolate made reaching the goals easier
  • Some of the subjects gained more weight than others
  • One of the subjects gained almost no weight but increased his muscle mass
  • All subjects returned to their normal weights after the experiment

These results confirm the observations from the Vermont prison study: despite very high calorie intakes, some people have a harder time gaining weight than others. The documentary also explains how naturally thin people are able to stay thin:

• Appetite has a genetic basis
  • Age, weight, and diet of the mother during pregancy influence the child's weight
  • Eating habits learned during childhood carry on until adulthood
  • Naturally thin people avoid excess calories instinctively
  • People have a certain "natural weight" towards which the body aims
  • Basal metabolic rate plays a strong role in energy expenditure
  • The feeling of hunger is related to the number of fat cells
  • The number of fat cells can grow but never diminish

There's a lot of debate these days over the importance of basal metabolic rate (BMR) in the calories in, calories out model. It's interesting to note that nobody eats the exact same amount of calories per day, and yet weight remains in a very narrow range (at least in healthy, thin subjects). The one subject who stuck to his 5,000 kcal intake but gained almost no weight supports the idea that there is a kind of setpoint that the body tries to maintain regardless of calorie intake.

It also looks like in some people, the mechanisms to preserve the natural weight setpoint are stronger than in others. Increased heat production is obviously one way to maintain weight during increased energy intake. Some people have also argued that as the number of calories eaten increases, the body starts to burn them by increasing small, almost involuntary movements such as tapping your fingers, moving your legs, etc. – physical activity which is not considered exercise but still uses up extra energy. I think this theory makes sense.

The last two points of the list are especially interesting. There are two key attributes to fat tissue: the size and number of fat cells. The number of fat cells in your body is typically pretty much determined during adolescence. Thus, eating affects first and foremost the size of your fat cells. As you store and burn energy, the fat cells in your body grow and shrink accordingly.

That's not all there is to it, however. If you keep eating even after the fat cells have grown to their maximum size, at some point the body will begin to produce new fat cells to store all that extra energy. The tendency to produce more fat cells probably depends on the individual.

The problem is that according to our current understanding, the number of fat cells can only be increased, never decreased. This means that any new fat cells produced as a result of (prolonged) overeating will always stay with you. What's worse, as the purpose of fat cells is precisely to store energy, the body will now send more signals of hunger to your brain to keep those fat cells filled up. Obviously this makes following diets that rely only on cutting back on calories very difficult.

The overall message of the documentary is that being naturally thin is a combination of many factors, some of which are genetically determined and some a result of the environment. Of course, individual choice also plays a role, but the studies on small children given unlimited candy show that even before we have the capability to think rationally about our food choices (kids will eat as much candy as they desire), there are differences among people.

For those who have to struggle to maintain or lose weight, things are more difficult – though not impossible by any means. It just means paying attention to your diet, venturing beyond governmental recommendations, and trying on yourself what works. I've had many overweight people tell me how difficult it is to lose weight, and then when I ask them if they've tried for example a basic low-carb diet, they've either tried it for a few weeks and quit, or they've deemed it "unhealthy", because all they can picture is Atkins on his deathbed and slices of bacon clogging their arteries.

Are you a naturally thin person who can eat and eat without gaining weight? Are you the exact opposite?

Do you think being thin is all about genetics?

Replies:
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:15pm
*haven't read*

*posting for historical purposes*

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:16pm
Cosign with Samone

Posted By: Rumbera
Do you think being thin is all about genetics?
yepp

Posted By: lexis83
First page

It's about genes and environment.

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:17pm
I'm very thin and tall. It's extremely hard for me to gain weight eventhough I'm trying (the doctor told me too) People always say I need to eat but, i eat a lot. Skinny girl tears

Posted By: Sang Froid
I hate thin people.

-------------

Posted By: EPITOME
The feeling of hunger is related to the number of fat cells

im trying to retrain these fat ass cells at the moment. i literally ignore my hunger if i know i have eaten a sufficient amount of calories until i decide i can eat. shut up fat cells!

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: tbaby123
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:19pm
i barely read.. but people willingly allowed themselves to be in this experiment to see if they could get fat?? psshh devil is a liar lol

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:21pm
The number of fat cells can grow but never diminish

What?? Fuck that sh*t, I'm getting lipo. Y'all need to leave my belly.

-------------

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

im trying to retrain these fat ass cells at the moment. i literally ignore my hunger if i know i have eaten a sufficient amount of calories until i decide i can eat. shut up fat cells!

This! The devil is a liar and the devil's name is HUNGER!

-------------

Posted By: yaya24
I could look up and its 3pm and I realize I have not eaten anything for the day.
My appetite suppression is really weird... but then I have those off days when I eat like a beast. LOL

I do think heredity plays a huge role.
Even in my worst eating season, I don't think I could get fat.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Originally posted by tbaby123 tbaby123 wrote:

i barely read.. but people willingly allowed themselves to be in this experiment to see if they could get fat?? psshh devil is a liar lol

This

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I hate thin people.

We love you.
Heart

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I hate thin people.
lol

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:25pm
It's hard for me to gain weight. I tried for three months durin the summer but it took too much effort. I gave up lol

-------------
yo

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:26pm
Go away. Angry

-------------

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

I'm very thin and tall. It's extremely hard for me to gain weight eventhough I'm trying (the doctor told me too) People always say I need to eat but, i eat a lot. Skinny girl tears
Shocked nothing a mug of milo and hardough bread won't fix gal...I'll teach you how to dougie..LOL

-------------
You gon get this work Nicca

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

It's hard for me to gain weight. I tried for three months durin the summer but it took too much effort. I gave up lol

I started drinking protein shakes in the morning.

I gained 11 lbs in 3 months (& majority of those pounds went to my a$$)
LOL

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

im trying to retrain these fat ass cells at the moment.

easier to cut them off

they won't come back if eat sensibly

My cousin wasted her money on lipo, she gained back alot of weight and is wondering why ? Confused her ass stays drinking and eating out.

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:29pm
Some of you need to keep your post for historical reference.. Some of y'all are young and that metabolism hasn't slowed down yet.. Enjoy! LOL

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

I could look up and its 3pm and I realize I have not eaten anything for the day.
My appetite suppression is really weird... but then I have those off days when I eat like a beast. LOL

rub it in.Disapprove

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Shocked nothing a mug of milo and hardough bread won't fix gal...I'll teach you how to dougie..LOL
LMAO!!

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:31pm
I need to get in shape. 

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

rub it in.Disapprove

Rummy bye. LOL
You are thick and sexy.
Nowhere near fat.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:33pm

I started drinking protein shakes in the morning.

I gained 11 lbs in 3 months (& majority of those pounds weto my a$$)
LOL

Did you buy the protein drinks or make it? Cuz those protein drinks get expensive after a while. That's another reason why I gave up lol

-------------
yo

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:33pm
I agree with easter!

I used to be one of those posters. I haven't blown up or anything but I now I have to be conscious of what I eat and work out more mailto:%20" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:34pm
please.. I am a 2 fries away from fat..LOL

I have to watch what i eat and exercise, I can blow up at any minute if I don't eat right.

ETA: it gets harder as you get older

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Elohim_is_Love Elohim_is_Love wrote:

I have figure a way for people to gain weight. I have techniques for that, but you'll look like chouji for a while though.

Tell meeeee lol

-------------
yo

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:35pm
I find that my appetite is not suppressed, but i always know when I'm full. I also fidget around alot with my feet, and for some reason my body gets totes hot. Like, I'm still going around with the white kids wearing shorts and sh!t in the winter.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:35pm
I didn't start holding water and all that ish until I started taking birth control.

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:36pm

Men like chubbier women though, don't believe the hype.

Speak for yourself Brotha.

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:36pm
Omg. Funny u posted this. I went to my doc yesterday askin why I can eat outback, olive garden, and cici's pizza in one day and I'm over here LOSING weight

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:38pm

Did you buy the protein drinks or make it? Cuz those protein drinks get expensive after a while. That's another reason why I gave up lol

My coworker has a Sams card and got the powder for me from there.

Its called MuscleTech 100%Whey Premium powder.
I get the delux vanilla flavor.

I mix 1.5 scoops of it with 4oz of Almond breeze almond milk & 2 oz of water.

It was $35 for a 5lb bag.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Shocked yall agree with the fact that its based on genetics?

I disagree with this study

I can agree that certain diseases are brought on by genetics..but being thin...NO! Being fat is a lifestyle ,not a cellular disease brought on by genetics.Our ancestors were not obese until poor dietary and lifestyle habits came into play. Heart disease, hypertension and diabetes are all very recent health problems for us humans. The dietary and exercise habits and choices we choose to make will determine our level of fitness. This is a fact that cannot be disputed.

Originally posted by BrownQtee BrownQtee wrote:

LMAO!!

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Immie89 Immie89 wrote:

I can agree that certain diseases are brought on by genetics..but being thin...NO! Being fat is a lifestyle ,not a cellular disease brought on by genetics.Our ancestors were not obese until poor dietary and lifestyle habits came into play. Heart disease, hypertension and diabetes are all very recent health problems for us humans. The dietary and exercise habits and choices we choose to make will determine our level of fitness. This is a fact that cannot be disputed.

This is not about being obese. 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:41pm

most thin ppl i know are disinterested in food..including my dh
he never feels like he needs to finish food

at the end of the day MOST thin ppl consume less calories. point blank period
i am just trying not to eat a lot/divide everything i would eat in half
i took a serving of rice to school for dinner and my friend looked at it and said that ish looked unappetizingLOL

i have lost 5 pounds since i started getting serious which was last Sunday...nobody loves a fatty so i need to quit while im aheadLOL

-------------

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:41pm
For SOME people it's genetics for others...no. So let's not get carried away now.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

Men like chubbier women though, don't believe the hype.

Speak for yourself Brotha.
lmao

man...i have to watch it.everybody in my family is fat...i got them fat genes...i dont want to end up in fat jeans...think im holding it pretty well though..Confused

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:43pm

I can agree that certain diseases are brought on by genetics..but being thin...NO! Being fat is a lifestyle ,not a cellular disease brought on by genetics.Our
ancestors were not obese until poor dietary and lifestyle habits came
into play. Heart disease, hypertension and diabetes are all very recent
health problems for us humans. The dietary and exercise habits and
choices we choose to make will determine our level of fitness. This is a
fact that cannot be disputed.

Have you seen the Samoans, gyal? No matter where they go, and what they eat, they are still BIG. I think genes got a lot to do wit it.

Posted By: fairyQueen092
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:43pm
Height is important too

If I wasn't tall, I probably wouldn't be as thin as I am

-------------
Bhm sucks. Lets see how long it will take to get siggys back -__-

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:44pm
My old trainer told me, "If you want to look like a hottie you better eat like one."

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:45pm

Thus changing our genetic make-up...which is now herditary. Your body adapts, every generation is proof of this...Because of the changes in diets/consumption/lack of exercise, it changes dna/rna structure...making the next generation more pron to being overweight.

-------------

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:47pm
I think genes play an important factor.
It's easier for some and harder for others.
That's the point of the article I thought.

Things like appetite , metalbolism and things like that are set so people with slower metalbolism have to work a lot harder to maintain a healthy weight.

My sisters metalbolisms are ridiculous.
And they have those perfect bodies with perfect asses.

I've always had to struggle with decency lol.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:49pm
My best friend all she eats is sonic and McDonalds like three times a day.

When I lunch I got to the fruit stand most the time.

Sht ain't right man.

I occasionally bust some Chipotle open.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:50pm
I cut out carbs for 1 month and lost weight. Almonds, tuna, salad, and cheese.
I only did this because I was seriously addicted to bread/pasta

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:51pm
I can live without bread and pasta.

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:52pm
I eat no pasta what so ever.
I've never liked pasta.

I eat bread occasionally.

But I do like rice but even that I don't cook and never eat unless I'm back home or at chipotle

Man look .

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

My best friend all she eats is sonic and McDonalds like three times a day.

When I lunch I got to the fruit stand motif the time.

Sht ain't right man.

I occasionally busy some Chipotle open.

i had a roomate who ate an astronomical amount
she would legit drink 12 cans of soda a day and eat loads of food
she was maybe a size 4
so yes genetics can play a VERY important role imo

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:53pm

Thus changing our genetic make-up...which is now herditary. Your body adapts, every generation is proof of this...Because of the changes in diets/consumption/lack of exercise, it changes dna/rna structure...making the next generation more pron to being overweight.

damn...so its really genetics than...

fck fat cells

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

oh i lost 4 pounds last week bc i cut out most carbs.  all i mainly ate were sweet potato baked with chicken. if i cut out carbs...i can get lean relatively quick

-------------

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:54pm

Same. It's just too hard.

I do gain muscle though but I have to work out hard for long periods of time. I'm talking 9months to a year

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:56pm
I don't see how it can be denied that at least a significant portion of weight is affected by genetics.

If its hard for some ppl to gain then of course it's gonna be harder for some to lose.

I do want some chipotle though...
But I'm resisting

I found out I lost 4 lbs last week too.
I don't know how though or what I did.

I haven't had a soda in forever those things are strong as hell.
90 percent of what I drink is water.

I think I'm gonna go to a dietician

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:57pm
lmmie...lol...not everyone across the board, but due to our current state, the rate of obesity is rising.

-------------

Posted By: Jess
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I eat no pasta what so ever.
I've never liked pasta.

I eat bread occasionally.

But I do like rice but even that I don't cook and never eat unless I'm back home or at chipotle

Man look .

Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I can live without bread and pasta.

Man.  I love carbs.  I have a freaking food folder DEDICATED to carby delicious recipes.
Cinnamon Rolls
Cake
Sugar bread
Mashed potatoes
Raisin Pretzels
Lasagna
Baked Ziti
Macaroni and cheese

Cheese, sugar, and pasta/bread are my weaknesses
I could scarf down some cookies.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:01pm
Man when the last time I had some cookies.

Man gone Jess

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:02pm

let me remind people that you can be skinny and have high cholesterol

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:06pm
Cheese is a weakness of mine, I love rich creamy cheese.

Goat cheese will send me in a coma.

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:07pm
The thread title makes me chuckleLOL

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

Before I got on my exercise regimen 2 years ago my HDL (good cholesterol) was low.
The PA said that could also lead to future heart disease issues.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:10pm
food is just yummykinsCry

it's why im feeling like Reza

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:14pm
Ive tried to cut out carbs i lasted half a day..mainly because when i came home..it was carbville. Its really hard not eating carbs when everything in my culture consists of carbs..my mom doesnt understand that carbs is evil. 

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:19pm

i really like his gifs lol

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by squishy-boy squishy-boy wrote:

yaya24 you're really pretty

Thanks I get it from my African ancestors.

>I know who you are<
Geek

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:22pm
Me too LOL
He's so funny to me

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:32pm
Thanks Smile

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:34pm
I think me and Joe could be friends. He's acting chill now. I like dat.

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:42pm

Before I got on my exercise regimen 2 years ago my HDL (good cholesterol) was low.
The PA said that could also lead to future heart disease issues.

yup thats what im talking bout - hinestly skinny people should not think that they can just chug down all the fatty food just because they are not getting fat...the damage to your arteries is no joke.

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:45pm

-------------

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Jess Jess wrote:

I need to do this.

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:02pm

Thank you. You also still need an exercise routine even if you're thin. I had high blood pressure and I'm thin. My friend is rail skinny and had high cholesterol.

-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by rayrayxo rayrayxo wrote:

Apparently if you eat right before you sleep you will gain weight because the food will be immediately stored as fat while you sleep.
i use to do that...its just now starting to catch up. i dont know...i stay at the same weight for what seems like forever..

-------------

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:21pm

Carbs are the devil for me but are so delicious. I can have 3 days of pigging out on high carb junky foods and the scale would reflect it with a quickness. I am sensitive to carbs though.. I think..

So, I have to cut my carbs to lose weight.
I also have my thyroid working against me because it deviates from slightly hypo to slighty hyper at the drop of a hat because of my hashimoto's I have going on.
But thyroid problems are inherited from my mom's side.
It is important that I work hard to get my weight off and keep it off because of the things that are passed down from my parents.

My cholesterol is perfect though! My doctor told me she does not remember the last time she has seen such a perfect balance before. And I have eaten my fair share of junk and carb ladden foods. I am lucky to have great health despite my previous bad eating habits.

I have since adapted to working out and eating better and I noticed that my weight is not quick to creep back up when I do have a few days of 'bad eating'.

And I honestly believe that genetics have quite a bit to do with it.

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Posted By: bg
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by OrriannaRose OrriannaRose wrote:

This was me (kinda still is) majority of my life.

Now i eat five meals a day
drink protein drinks (Boost, Ensure high protein) at least 3x a day
Eat my last meal (last protein drink) right before bed

When i wake up in the morning, i'm staaaaaaarving...and i just do it all over again

-------------
“Turn your face toward the sun and the shadows will fall behind you.” ~Maori Proverb~

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:36pm

if you dont have any health condition, arent starving to death, or have
any athletic reasons, why would you wanna gain weight so bad? just be
happy and skinny

Some girls really want to shake dat booty meat. But you can't do dat if your skinny and yo
ass is flat.

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Immie88 Immie88 wrote:

The documentary begins by mentioning a similar experiment done on
Vermont prison inmates in 1967. The inmates were grossly overfed with
the purpose of studying the hormonal changes that happen when a person
becomes obese. The prisoners who signed up were promised an earlier
release.

That's the only part I found interesting.

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Apparently if you eat right before you sleep you will gain weight because the food will be immediately stored as fat while you sleep.
i use to do that...its just now starting to catch up. i dont know...i stay at the same weight for what seems like forever..
are you trying to lose weight?
in a lazy almost not even trying way..yes.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

happy and skinny

Some girls really want to shake dat booty meat. But you can't do dat if your skinny and yo
ass is flat.

LOLLOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by teendiva teendiva wrote:

Originally posted by Immie88 Immie88 wrote:

The documentary begins by mentioning a similar experiment done on
Vermont prison inmates in 1967. The inmates were grossly overfed with
the purpose of studying the hormonal changes that happen when a person
becomes obese. The prisoners who signed up were promised an earlier
release.

That's the only part I found interesting.

They were probably in for non-violent crimes, or in for bs reasons. 

-------------

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 6:41pm
summary? 

i wish i would have been around for this thread... 

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:31pm
I'm carb sensitive...im also a carb addict. but its usually bread/french fries. im not a sweets/snack kind of girl. and usually i drink strictly water.
Man I just like to eat Disapprove
I need to leave the pizza and fries alone...them thangs is voodoo i tell you!

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:46pm

happy and skinny

Okay I'll try that

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:34pm
Too bad I actually have to work to keep my weight down Disapprove

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:40pm
Your genes determine where you gain weight, you determine how much you will or will not gain. You inherit poor eating habits and lifestyles from your family, this is true. But many people in my family are not skinny and the ones that are work out and take good care of there bodies. 

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:41pm
my mother is big. 

ill never be big 

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:45pm
I think it genetics to a point but I think anyone can get fat if they try hard enough.  I don't think anyone is sedentary, eating a diet high in saturated fat and empty calories and walking the runway.  

Habits are formed by the people who raise you which could easily make it appear that fat is genetic when really habits are passed down.  

I learned to eat very well as a child.  I had essentially zero processed or fast food until I was old enough to earn my own money and buy my own.  That said, I fell in love with some of that processed crap and have to work at weight management now.  I think had I kept an organic diet, I might be able to fool people into believing I'm a "naturally" thin person.

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Print Page | Close Window