Print Page | Close Window

Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351993
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 7:23am

Topic: Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail
Posted By: EPITOME
Subject: Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:05pm

UT Law Professor Says Blacks and Mexican-Americans Can’t Compete with White Students

radio interview here:  http://gawker.com/5967233/ut-law-professor-says-blacks-and-mexican+americans-cant-compete-with-white-students" rel="nofollow - http://gawker.com/5967233/ut-law-professor-says-blacks-and-mexican+americans-cant-compete-with-white-students

Controversial University of Texas at Austin law professor Lino Graglia gave an interview to the BBC in which he claims, among other things, that blacks and Latinos can't compete with white students, particularly because of the fact that so many of them are raised in single-parent households. Graglia's interview was related to the fact,  http://gawker.com/5955749/soft-bigotry-and-the-new-fight-for-affirmative-action" rel="nofollow - as we've told you , UT is currently in a battle with a white student it rejected who claims that the school's affirmative action program is to blame for her having to go to a second-rate college.

In 1997, Graglia came under fire again for telling a conservative UT student group that the black and Mexican-American cultures set children up for failure. "They have a culture that seems not to encourage achievement,"  http://www.mexica.net/texas.php" rel="nofollow - he said . "Failure is not looked upon with disgrace."

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:07pm
sh*t so are white people.
Damn near all the white people I knew had divorced parents by the time we were in middle school.

-------------

Posted By: IslandSuga
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:10pm

Single parent homes aren't always a reason why children don't do well but it's not just black and mexican, it's all children. Yes I believe it can be difficult for a single parent to work and take care of their children as well as being involved in their education. But on the flip side sometimes parents just dont give a fck about education regardless of them being a single parent or a two parent household. Word to Jenelle and her mom on teen mom

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:11pm
I'm curious as to how he treats black/mexican students in his classroom. Seems to me as if his personal beliefs would get in the way of him teaching effectively to minorities.

Posted By: Babydoll9163
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:12pm
I'm not as mad as the single household comment as I am this

Quote "They have a culture that seems not to encourage achievement,"  http://www.mexica.net/texas.php" rel="nofollow - he said . "Failure is not looked upon with disgrace."

It's disrespectful on so many levels

-------------
Stupid ppl are like a unicorn. They too do not exist. They are just liberated... liberated from knowledge. -nycdiva

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:12pm
Right..all the white people I knew growing up lived in a single parent home.

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:14pm
My cousin is studying law at UT Austin. Confused

Posted By: niecy
Yes, because ALL children in 2 parent homes and all white children turn out to be so successful.

Posted By: Junior Jr
walp

jr.

-------------

Posted By: tasty0619
Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

Quote "They have a culture that seems not to encourage achievement,"  http://www.mexica.net/texas.php" rel="nofollow - he said . "Failure is not looked upon with disgrace."

Yes! Like Wtf is this sh*t about?! 

We can go back and forth on whether we think single parent homes are why people fail, and cite many who have excelled that came from that lifestyle, and look at the many who have failed, but at the end of the day I would think the lack of funding and opportunities in predominantly minority school systems would contribute more than if you had one or two parents in the home. 

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: texasmami0117
They don't nothing about our culture.

Posted By: Rumbera
lmao @ yt kids being raised in a two parent home.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:15pm

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:15pm

I was just going to say this...Stern Smile

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

UT is really hard to get into. She must have done her thang. I went to UTSA and it's full of butt hurt people on the waiting list for UT.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:18pm
The comment about failure not being looked at, as a disgrace has been true in a lot of my experiences. Everybodys experience is different but te culture of aiming to just get by is very real. It doesn't just pertain to a certain race, it's more of ppl from a certain socioeconomic status.

I didn't grow up around black or latino people who were really goal oriented. In contrast my school was all Asian and their culture was different. Where I'm from there really was no shame in dropping out of school and finding a menial job, applying for gov aid and calling it a day.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:19pm
Where's his proof that Black and Mexican families "encourage failure"?????

I need to see those receipts real quick fast!

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:20pm
He may have a substantial claim but where dem receipts??? Geek

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

The comment about failure not being looked at, as a disgrace has been true in a lot of my experiences. Everybodys experience is different but te culture of aiming to just get by is very real. It doesn't just pertain to a certain race, it's more of ppl from a certain socioeconomic status.

I didn't grow up around black or latino people who were really goal oriented. In contrast my school was all Asian and their culture was different. Where I'm from there really was no shame in dropping out of school and finding a menial job, applying for gov aid and calling it a day.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:21pm
@alias...my receipts?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:21pm
does it sting more bc a white person said it? posters here have said how parents are not involved, do not care, Chicago is paying parents to go to parent teacher conferences [i know it is not singularly targeted at blacks]

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Where's his proof that Black and Mexican families "encourage failure"?????

I need to see those receipts real quick fast!

This!

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:23pm
White kids are f*cking idiots with good study habits

Really, all articles like these do are further cloud the myth that White people are superior
I really hate these studies that only focus on half of the problem

White people will never take responsibility for their part in the destruction of the Black community
F*CK these "studies"

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:24pm
Alias I agree bc I feel the same way about Asians...they have superior study habits but this does not make them inherently more intelligent whatsoever. There's still a problem without our culture that black student/parent involvement is so low.

Posted By: oneluv
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:24pm
As hard as this is to hear.... The statistics show that this is true. Do your own research and see for yourself. I hate to say it but we as black people need to do better. BLACK WOMEN: If a man is willing to get you pregnant and take care of you both for the next 18 years. Why can't he just go ahead and marry you?

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:26pm
this is a  smokescreen

every once in a while, white folks love throwing our sh*t out there to make themselves feel superior when things aren't going too well for him (obama's second term)

fck em

jr.

-------------

Posted By: sistagal
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:27pm
I'm from a single parent household & have a degree & a masters... So does my best friend...

Hmm I definitely do see a pattern of failure there.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:27pm
Yall really don't understand that this isn't a black thing....this is a broke thing.
If your parents are failures you probably will be too.

-------------

Posted By: Over_all
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:28pm
Was just waiting for the other side to come in but personally I don't see where in todays black culture are the pushing for intelligence to be the main factor.. When I was growing up I was picked on because I was smarter than other kids nor was my family pushing me to remain smart AP classes.. I only did them because regular classes bored the crap out of me

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:28pm
You will never hear me deny this

It's so much more complex than that. Like, for once, let's talk about interests and hope

Black kids are growing up in a country that they know is hostile (and disinterested at the least) to them and yet that's not suppose to affect the way they see themselves, their futures, their possibilities and their interests?

Also, many Black kids aren't even given a serious chance to be put into Science and Math classes. They show any hint of needing "extra" help and they passed off as "average" or "slow"

Alias I agree bc I feel the same way about Asians...they have superior study habits but this does not make them inherently more intelligent whatsoever. There's still a problem without our culture that black student/parent involvement is so low.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Yall really don't understand that this isn't a black thing....this is a broke thing.

well if economically blacks are not doing well as a whole...makes sense that their kids won't either

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by oneluv oneluv wrote:

As hard as this is to hear.... The statistics show that this is true. Do your own research and see for yourself. I hate to say it but we as black people need to do better. BLACK WOMEN: If a man is willing to get you pregnant and take care of you both for the next 18 years. Why can't he just go ahead and marry you?

What's a couple of people's failure to get a ring got to do with our race or anything in reference to the topic at hand?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:31pm
Yep, black and Latino kids are pushed into special Ed at a much higher rate than whites based on shyt like "behavioral" disabilities.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

well if economically blacks are not doing well as a whole...makes sense that their kids won't either

As a whole?
Most blacks aren't in poverty.
Why do we always focus on the poor blacks that live in the inner city?
Nigguhs in college doin' good and starting their own businesses get no shine at all.
That's a part of the problem too.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:32pm
I think young black students are judged before they get into the classroom.

And if you have parents that don't give a damn or are working hard to provide they can get left behind.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:32pm

As a whole?
Most blacks aren't in poverty.
Why do we always focus on the poor blacks that live in the inner city?
Nigguhs in college doin' good and starting their own businesses get no shine at all.
That's a part of the problem too.

i didnt say poverty. 

-------------

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:33pm
I've never met a Mexican person whose came from a single parent home. Their culture is very family oriented. They def have the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.

-------------
There's power in your rolling hills. - My Aunt Jill

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:34pm

Yep, black and Latino kids are pushed into special Ed at a much higher rate than whites based on shyt like "behavioral" disabilities.

Very very true. This is why I taught my kids English first, Spanish second (i got the side eye from family) but I didn't want to give the school system any reason to put them in the "other class" or for them to be left behind.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:34pm
I know a lot of Mexicans/latinos in single family homes, especially the ones whose fathers are still in Mexico sending money over.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:35pm
Black parents absolutely need to step their game up
I've been saying this

I wouldn't say that they "encourage failure" but failure certainly doesn't mean 'death by the hands of parents' for Black kids as it does for Asian kids and children of immigrants

Black parents tend to encourage their children to put all of their eggs in to the athletic scholarship 'basket' which is highly irresponsible imo

Originally posted by sistagal sistagal wrote:

What's a couple of people's failure to get a ring got to do with our race or anything in reference to the topic at hand?

This. And I also don't necessarily agree that you HAVE to get a ring just to because a man is willing to be there to take care of you and your child that HE aided in creating. That whole tactic of thinking that marriage will automatically make a man want to stick around and be there for you and your child irks me. 

Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

I've never met a Mexican person whose came from a single parent home. Their culture is very family oriented. They def have the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.

The difference is when there is a single mother she lives with the parents and they often pick up the slack. It is very rare (amongst the people that i know) for a single mother to be living on her own without family.

ETA: Most of the time there are 2 or 3 generation living in the same home.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:38pm

Black parents absolutely need to step their game up
I've been saying this

I wouldn't say that they "encourage failure" but failure certainly doesn't mean 'death by the hands of parents' for Black kids as it does for Asian kids and children of immigrants

Black parents tend to encourage their children to put all of their eggs in to the athletic scholarship 'basket' which is highly irresponsible imo

Very true. I see this way too often and most of the time they forget that even if you DO get an athletic scholarship you still have to keep the grades up in order to even maintain the scholarship. 

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:40pm
While I do believe that single parent households have an influence on how a child does in school, there are other factors that come into play as well. SPH is an issue that needs to be addressed within the AA community as it does more harm than good in the long run.

-Brown Community Organizer

-------------

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

The difference is when there is a single mother she lives with the parents and they often pick up the slack. It is very rare (amongst the people that i know) for a single mother to be living on her own without family.

ETA: Most of the time there are 2 or 3 generation living in the same home.

Yes, this I see a lot.

-------------
There's power in your rolling hills. - My Aunt Jill

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:42pm
the white man is as the white man does.
We living with our enemies and thinking his main goal wont be to destroy us. 
But wait, some of us are still not sure if he's our enemy. But this has been our m.o since we came out of Egypt. It ain't bout to change. 

It's not that we have a culture that doesn't encourage achievement, fukface. It's that we have a culture of a lack of pride in OURSELVES. A massa mentality, a conditioning from guess who??? A lack of knowledge of self because guess who stole our history and very identity???

I just want us to wake up and see ourselves as we are...but...

Anyway.

not having a family's support is a real disadvantage to a child. It affects every aspect of their life. I've seen it. 

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:44pm
Bad parenting is the reason children of all colors are failing. And the bad parenting starts with the choice to become a parent even though you are already living in poverty, with bad health, other kids you can't care for, no education, and a dysfunctional or dangerous relationship/household.

Bad parenting is the real issue. It just so happens that single parents get the brunt of the judgment on that score.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:45pm
Yo, i think the author is a Black dude Stern Smile

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:47pm

Yo, i think the author is a Black dude Stern Smile

He's a part of the problem too it seems.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

This. And I also don't necessarily agree that you HAVE to get a ring just to because a man is willing to be there to take care of you and your child that HE aided in creating. That whole tactic of thinking that marriage will automatically make a man want to stick around and be there for you and your child irks me. 

that is bc people do it wrong. marriage should make him want to stay and build with you and vise versa.  that is the purpose of modern day marriage.  build a family, wealth, a foundation, and a future.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:48pm
Right. Most married people shouldn't have married each other to begin with. 

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:50pm
oh here is the radio interview.
he said 3/4 of black children are raised in single parent households and "i cannot imagine a more deleterious effect...to be raised by one parent, often female, with not a lot of money."

http://gawker.com/5967233/ut-law-professor-says-blacks-and-mexican+americans-cant-compete-with-white-students" rel="nofollow - http://gawker.com/5967233/ut-law-professor-says-blacks-and-mexican+americans-cant-compete-with-white-students

eta: bc nobody needs a white man in their face like that

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:51pm
awwww he feels sorry for us. he sympathizes with us. He's such a good guy. 

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

no he doesn'tLOL
or does he? i didnt listen to all of it

but is this stat true 3/4 of black children are born into single parent households? that is a problem imo.

eta: i also apologize for the huge pic of that white man.i know that sh*t must have been frightening and jarring Cry

-------------

So i guess he just gonna ignore that 1/2 of all White kids are, too, raised by single parents? Stern Smile

Posted By: oneluv

Its everything with the topic at hand.... Its a cycle. Black men who have been raised in single family household have never seen a proper example of a relationship and never seen what a stand up man is suppose to be. These men typically grow up not knowing the importance of marriage. Black women growing up in these households as well don't expect a ring and think cause they saw their mothers do it on their own that they can to. This is a cycle that only hurts the child the mother ends up raising on her own. Look at the statistics and see for yourself. A percentage of black inmates are from single mother homes. A highe percentage of black pregnant teens grew up without fathers. The list goes on.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

that is bc people do it wrong. marriage should make him want to stay and build with you and vise versa.  that is the purpose of modern day marriage.  build a family, wealth, a foundation, and a future.

True. These days people have the notion that by getting married that automatically means the person they are with is there to stay always and that they will never leave or that it will make the person care more and not do things such as cheat. It seems that more often than not marriage results in divorce because of that exact mentality because, like you said, people go about marriage the wrong way. They think marriage is going to change a person when in reality it doesn't.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:54pm
Not sure if that's true

Maybe he's referring to the stat that 72% (or something around that) of all Black children are being born out of wedlock now

no he doesn'tLOL

but is this stat true 3/4 of black children are born into single parent households? that is a problem imo.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:55pm
And this is obviously anecdotal but in my experience, the most successful (successful meaning, the moms and kids have stable, good lives) single parents I've seen have been black and hispanic. All the white single mothers I know are a mess and their kids are drug addicts and drop outs.

I noticed that with the successful ones, once the moms had kids they literally devoted their lives to their children and focused on being great parents. For example, they either went to school or got real jobs, they actively made the choice to not have men in and out of their lives, and they only had one child (bc they knew how much harder it would be with more than one). All the kids I know from these situations have master's degrees and are doing well in life.

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:56pm

no he doesn'tLOL

eta: i also apologize for the huge pic of that white man.i know that sh*t must have been frightening and jarring Cry
I did have to shift in my seat. Please warn a nicca next time.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:57pm
I really wish we could discuss our issues without the intrusion of White 'holy than thou' opinions and useless and repetitive observations 

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:58pm
Heart @ Derri

Anyway, single parent households account for the long list of problems that black and latinos are facing.  My main issue with the black/Latino community is that we tend to rely too heavily to be raised, trained and educated by the people who hate us and within a system not set up for us. That is the main reason why white folk have the ability to succeed and surpass even in Amerikkka's beyond-sh!tty educational system. They can come from a broken down home, suck at school and everything and still get ahead smh.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

And this is obviously anecdotal but in my experience, the most successful (successful meaning, the moms and kids have stable, good lives) single parents I've seen have been black and hispanic. All the white single mothers I know are a mess and their kids are drug addicts and drop outs.

I noticed that with the successful ones, once the moms had kids they literally devoted their lives to their children and focused on being great parents. For example, they either went to school or got real jobs, they actively made the choice to not have men in and out of their lives, and they only had one child (bc they knew how much harder it would be with more than one). All the kids I know from these situations have master's degrees and are doing well in life.

i can think of several ppl who do this as well and you're right--their kids are thriving
my friends sister is 20 with 3 kids by 2 different fathers, and one father is in jail for killing someone.  i truly cannot expect success from her kids unless it comes from outside sources.

-------------

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:59pm
For him to say that it is single parent homes at the center of why blacks and hispanics are doing poorly is ridiculous. It is a complicated issue. Black kids are continuously shafted and told they are either not good enough either indirectly or directly. Texas local channel used to show statistics of how students were doing in the community based on race and black kids were the last every damn time. When the whole damn country has low expectations for you it is very discouraging. 

Also whites and asians have a way better network and system. They help each other out and give each other notes and test material questions. They have a great cheating network going on. All the black students at my school got there on their own accord with stellar grades.

So if he wants to generalize, he should say whites and asians cheat their way up to the top.

-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:00pm
The biggest fall for black people is watching too much of white people do and regarding their success as attributed to their skin colour.

The moment someone makes you feel a failure because you're black rather than a failure who just happens to be black...your life will never change & you will forever be a victim because you cannot change your skin.

Unfortunately, a lot of black people are victims which is why this issue is widespread.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:00pm
@blaquefoxx

Aka, we don't have a "racial net" that can catch us when we fall. We aren't White cats with 9 lives. We get 1 chance (if that even) to "make it" and if we can't catch a break then we fall into the same system that was designed especially for us

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by BrownQtee BrownQtee wrote:

no he doesn'tLOL

I did have to shift in my seat. Please warn a nicca next time.

i edited. that was disconcerting for me

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:03pm
It really isn't about being a single parent. Because even in 2-parent households, parents don't spend enough time with their children and there's a bunch of bad parenting. 

Single parent (usually)=poor, undereducated, lacking resources, higher stress, more medical issues, etc. which all makes for a bad environment for a child to grow up in. 

It's just easier to call it a "single parent" problem. Why? Because addressing the real issues is not something people in power are keen on doing since then they'd no longer have an underclass base to rule over. Make it a race issue ("those" people just don't know how to raise their children) and then people can continue to pretend that they are good white saviors all while continuing to be racist and reinforce the current power structure.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:04pm
The only person who I saw my mom romantically involved with was my father and they divorced when I was 6 Stern Smile

There's a downside to that. While I have high standards for men and I don't succumb to the pressure of sex and lame relationships, I don't know how to properly conduct a relationship b/c it was never modeled to me

It's that double edge sword

i can think of several ppl who do this as well and you're right--their kids are thriving
my friends sister is 20 with 3 kids by 2 different fathers, and one father is in jail for killing someone.  i truly cannot expect success from her kids unless it comes from outside sources.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:05pm

no he doesn'tLOL

girrrrl. Now you know I don't think this white man is sorry.
I feel patronized by him, tbh. 

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:05pm
I remember thinking how funny it was when textbooks started using names like Aisha or Carlos in math problems or science books...like, they seriously do the laziest shyt and think that's going to automatically make these children engage and connect in the classroom.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

For him to say that it is single parent homes at the center of why blacks and hispanics are doing poorly is ridiculous. It is a complicated issue. Black kids are continuously shafted and told they are either not good enough either indirectly or directly. Texas local channel used to show statistics of how students were doing in the community based on race and black kids were the last every damn time. When the whole damn country has low expectations for you it is very discouraging. 

Also whites and asians have a way better network and system. They help each other out and give each other notes and test material questions. They have a great cheating network going on. All the black students at my school got there on their own accord with stellar grades.

So if he wants to generalize, he should say whites and asians cheat their way up to the top.

idk if that is nec. true. or are black ppl not taught how to network or use the system
i know this black trauma surgeon who said whenever a black resident came through he would tell them call me before you take this and this exam...is it for matching idk...he said in all of his years only one person called him.  he said he couldn't tell them...hey im on the board that asks you the questions and i know what they will ask you and what you need to say.  i might even be in the room. the one person who called him is now a surgeon.

we also talked about bc "we" always have to prove ourselves, we do a lot. he was like "all these white kids doing this you think they're studying? no. they're doing it the way their dads and their grandads did it and have the answers and make it work."  he was like "i always asked. always. in order to figure out how ppl who were where i wanted to be, did it."

"we" have a harder time 1. asking for help/hook up especially when it is from whites bc we're scared and distrustful and don't utilize our networks as much as we could.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:07pm

It really isn't about being a single parent. Because even in 2-parent households, parents don't spend enough time with their children and there's a bunch of bad parenting. 

Single parent (usually)=poor, undereducated, lacking resources, higher stress, more medical issues, etc. which all makes for a bad environment for a child to grow up in. 

It's just easier to call it a "single parent" problem. Why? Because addressing the real issues is not something people in power are keen on doing since then they'd no longer have an underclass base to rule over. Make it a race issue ("those" people just don't know how to raise their children) and then people can continue to pretend that they are good white saviors all while continuing to be racist and reinforce the current power structure.

it is an issue of poverty not an issue of race imo. but that is a whole nother discussion about the man

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:08pm
Poverty and race seems to go hand in hand, though. 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:09pm

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

the white man is as the white man does.
We living with our enemies and thinking his main goal wont be to destroy us. 
But wait, some of us are still not sure if he's our enemy. But this has been our m.o since we came out of Egypt. It ain't bout to change. 

It's not that we have a culture that doesn't encourage achievement, fukface. It's that we have a culture of a lack of pride in OURSELVES. A massa mentality, a conditioning from guess who??? A lack of knowledge of self because guess who stole our history and very identity???

I just want us to wake up and see ourselves as we are...but...

Anyway.

not having a family's support is a real disadvantage to a child. It affects every aspect of their life. I've seen it. 

Preach!ClapClap

Posted By: yaya24
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Its a great school.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:10pm

Poverty and race seems to go hand in hand, though. 

Most things ppl think are about race are really about SES.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

Heart @ Derri

Anyway, single parent households account for the long list of problems that black and latinos are facing.  My main issue with the black/Latino community is that we tend to rely too heavily to be raised, trained and educated by the people who hate us and within a system not set up for us. That is the main reason why white folk have the ability to succeed and surpass even in Amerikkka's beyond-sh!tty educational system. They can come from a broken down home, suck at school and everything and still get ahead smh.

The bold is the truth.com. Black folks love to throw out "train up a child in the way he should go and when he is older he will not part from it". But we are not training our kids. There is no discipline going on anymore.

I'm talking about, basic habits that are not instilled in our children. I took a survey of the kids I teach about their daily habits and the only things they do for sure everyday are spend time on their cellphones, get on the internet, watch tv, and eat.

What about cleaning their room? showering? going to school? making their bed? reading? doing homework? making a real meal? doing chores? Some of these things aren't even happening on a weekly basis.

Parents are straight up failing at training their children to do ANYTHING, let alone be successful in our world today. But then folks want to say that the "tiger" mothers are being abusive?!?!? Hell nah, they are setting their kids up for success.

Sigh

It pisses me off how much was taken and withheld from us
White people just need to stop pretending like their "concerned" with the plight of young Black and Latino kids

They don't want Black and Latino communities to improve b/c that means more competition for their grandchildren

This is all a facade
But Black people need to get serious about the solutions for the state of the Black community

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:14pm

idk if that is nec. true. or are black ppl not taught how to network or use the system
i know this black trauma surgeon who said whenever a black resident came through he would tell them call me before you take this and this exam...is it for matching idk...he said in all of his years only one person called him.  he said he couldn't tell them...hey im on the board that asks you the questions and i know what they will ask you and what you need to say.  i might even be in the room. the one person who called him is now a surgeon.

we also talked about bc "we" always have to prove ourselves, we do a lot. he was like "all these white kids doing this you think they're studying? no. they're doing it the way their dads and their grandads did it and have the answers and make it work."  he was like "i always asked. always. in order to figure out how ppl who were where i wanted to be, did it."

"we" have a harder time 1. asking for help/hook up especially when it is from whites bc we're scared and distrustful and don't utilize our networks as much as we could.
we had a thread on the bolded & most said they didn't like asking questions, raising their hand, or staying after class cuz it was embarassing to stick out & their pride just wanted them to blend inThumbs Down

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:14pm
i remember watching something with Diane Sawyer and Chicago and one woman said "We don't need Diane Sawyer here.  We shouldn't need ABC or anything.  We need to do this ourselves." it was one of the realest statement in that entire thing....along with a black kid who said "you think i want to be selling drugs? you think i like being on this street corner? i dont"

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

jones....Ermm

just admit itSleepy

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:16pm
That's not just true of blacks and Hispanics though that's also a quality if the south.
My professor has spoken on this many times.
He said when he moved to the south lectures were so quiet because students believe that asking questions make them look stupid or unprepared and think its bad manners to question the teacher.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

jones....Ermm

just admit itSleepy

I don't know why you think I'd be harder seed to admit a truth.

That is a fact Bunny.
Ppl confuse SES for race factors all the time.

Research it

This is not a personal statement this is something I've learned through research and study

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:18pm
what is SES?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:19pm
Socioeconomic status

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:20pm

we had a thread on the bolded & most said they didn't like asking questions, raising their hand, or staying after class cuz it was embarassing to stick out & their pride just wanted them to blend inThumbs Down

oh did we? it's hard imo. i've always raised my hand and spoken in class but one on one with professors have always made me nervous depending on the professor. and networking can be tough. it's like going on a date. you have to smile, make jokes, find common ground, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:25pm

jones....Ermm

just admit itSleepy

I don't know why you think I'd be harder seed to admit a truth.

That is a fact Bunny.
Ppl confuse SES for race factors all the time.

Research it

This is not a personal statement this is something I've learned through research and study
Guurrrll, I'm not disagreeing with you on the SES, I concurLOL

what you aint admitting is ur superstition about being on the bottom.   You do it all the time, nothing is bad about the bottom & dont give me the bs about double posting again.  I'm not buying it.   Come to the light jonesyYing Yang

-------------

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:25pm
<--- Grew up in a single parent household.
<----Does absolutely fine in school.

Confused

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:26pm
Huh? Bunny what are you saying?
What's this bottom business I was denying?

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: wuts-rly-good
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:29pm
i grew up in a 2 parent home and i still didn't come out great.minus the music stuff that i didnt have support with,school n everything else i failed at or didnt care for growing up

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I think young black students are judged before they get into the classroom.

And if you have parents that don't give a damn or are working hard to provide they can get left behind.
You couldn't be more right.
Im doing training to become a math teacher at a high need school. One of the topics we discussed at our last meeting was exactly this. Many of these students are deemed to be of lower intellect at the beginning of the school year. In return, teachers subconsciously give them less attention, don't help them as much, and generally don't care about them as much as they do the students that they deem to have high intellect. These students, in return, perform worse.  We watched/ read about many psychological studies on this, it was interesting.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:30pm
Lol oh Bunny .

I typed the exact same thing but I meant to quote Derri.
So I edited it and quoted Derri and it landedthe next page.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:30pm

Huh? Bunny what are you saying?
What's this bottom business I was denying?
it is sooooo minor, It feels petty even bringing it up.  but all the time when ur post is at the bottom of a page, u edit it out, put a period, then post ur comment on the next page.  It's like a superstition or something.  kind of OCDish.  That's why I was saying, its ok to post at the bottom, the world will be fine with it

Can any of jonesy's RT peeps confirm or deny this.  I can't be the only one who sees it

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:31pm

oh did we? it's hard imo. i've always raised my hand and spoken in class but one on one with professors have always made me nervous depending on the professor. and networking can be tough. it's like going on a date. you have to smile, make jokes, find common ground, etc.

Maybe I should have said their network is better built up than a black network.

It is intimidating when you are the only black person there and forced to befriend people who "might be racist" or "might say something out of pocket" or has a completely different culture than yours. Maybe I should have said whites and asians have an easier time networking. And whites and asians do not intermingle. Whites help each other out. And asians help each other out. 

I had a professor call me stupid since I did not know the answer to a question in class when called upon. 

This same professor helps out whites and has favoritism for jewish students. My roommate is Jewish and aced this professor's exam because she had "special" notes that pretty much had all the answers on it. There are asian kids that old tests and so forth. Getting this much help as a black person is not as easily accessible. There is only one black professor vs. 14 non blacks. You have to infiltrate into their network to be successful.

We do have minority lunch or whatever but minority lunch aint going to help me pass. I am friendly to everyone and that's how I do well. I infiltrated with an indian group though lol. 

ETA: wow at my grammatical errors from typing too fast

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:34pm
^wow. and good job at getting in with the Indians.  yes IA they're networks are stronger. i feel like blacks at PWI might be less likely to help whereas blacks at HBCUs are more likely

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:34pm

Lol oh Bunny .

I typed the exact same thing but I meant to quote Derri.
So I edited it and quoted Derri and it landedthe next page.
jones is gonna put me in a straight jacketCry

I'm gonna stop this here so we can get back to the topic at hand.  I'm feeling a lilWacko

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:36pm
Man when I have kids I will teach them to look at the faculty of the school and if there is like barely any minorities (especially blacks) on there then run far far away. I am going to join a Christian Heart organization with awesome people and minority organization and one more. I am infiltrating like crazy lol. This mess isn't easy.

-------------

Posted By: Chyna_Li
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:38pm
its not about the amount of parents in the home it is about the lessons being taught in the home. the standards that are being set in the home.

however I do agree that disappointments and lack of achievements are given kanye shrugs with the quickness.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 1:39pm
I notice everything samone, I noticed you vying for my attention several times in the past 24hrs.  You want to do lunch or something?

-------------

Print Page | Close Window