Print Page | Close Window

Corporate Christmas Party Dress Appropriate?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351984
Printed Date: Oct 17 2018 at 7:37pm

Topic: Corporate Christmas Party Dress Appropriate?
Posted By: _leah
Subject: Corporate Christmas Party Dress Appropriate?
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:39am
Do you think this is appropriate for a Company Christmas Party? 

-------------
"lol thats not BABY hair , thats grown up hair , that moved out into a place of her own with childern ."

By the grace of God, I am a complete woman.

Replies:
Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:46am
where do you work?

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:48am
I work for a brokerage firm. 

-------------
"lol thats not BABY hair , thats grown up hair , that moved out into a place of her own with childern ."

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:51am
hmm, I'm having mixed feelings about it on a black girl for some reason. Any other options?

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:53am
Depending on how conservative your boss and co-workers are and your body type, this could be borderline too sexy.

If they're a conservative bunch do kinda short OR tight, but definitely not both.

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:54am
Nice color but a tad too tight but then again some companys let loose at the Christmas party. Is this your workplace or your husband/boyfriends? If it is your partners, wear it Cool

Posted By: Spokenword

im a bit of a prude when it comes to work events, so i wouldn't wear it.  maybe if it was black?  is that pink or red? 

They are conservative but also I'm shaped pretty much like the model wearing it in terms of size and hips & boobs. I was hoping I could get away with it, do you guys have any suggestions? 

-------------

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:55am
Do u have hips and boobs. It may end up looking kind of trashy if ur not a twig

It's my workplace lol I showed it to my other co worker that's been here for years she thinks its fine but I need opinions lol

-------------

I like the idea if it was in black.

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:56am
Maybe with a sweater over it.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Maybe with a sweater over it.

Oh..I like that idea. How about one of those duster cardigans?

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:08am
what's a duster cardigan. i think i'll get one of those i also don't want to make any one's wife uncomfortable even though ill be there with my S/O

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by _leah _leah wrote:

what's a duster cardigan. i think i'll get one of those i also don't want to make any one's wife uncomfortable even though ill be there with my S/O

http://www.pacsun.com/Abbie-Duster-Cardigan/0605501,default,pd.html?OriginId=GPL&XCID=P:google-Product+Listing+Ads-Product+Listing+Ad_Placeholder-&mkwid=sxbrzN2eA&CAWELAID=1589546479&catargetid=1638408803&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM-UyfjRkrQCFetDMgodqAUAXw" rel="nofollow - http://www.pacsun.com/Abbie-Duster-Cardigan/0605501,default,pd.html?OriginId=GPL&XCID=P:google-Product+Listing+Ads-Product+Listing+Ad_Placeholder-&mkwid=sxbrzN2eA&CAWELAID=1589546479&catargetid=1638408803&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM-UyfjRkrQCFetDMgodqAUAXw

I live by these. I have a lot more body than you, but I like to keep it semi-conservative. 

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:15am
Nice but I think too long, show some of that figure I say

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

http://www.pacsun.com/Abbie-Duster-Cardigan/0605501,default,pd.html?OriginId=GPL&XCID=P:google-Product+Listing+Ads-Product+Listing+Ad_Placeholder-&mkwid=sxbrzN2eA&CAWELAID=1589546479&catargetid=1638408803&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM-UyfjRkrQCFetDMgodqAUAXw" rel="nofollow - http://www.pacsun.com/Abbie-Duster-Cardigan/0605501,default,pd.html?OriginId=GPL&XCID=P:google-Product+Listing+Ads-Product+Listing+Ad_Placeholder-&mkwid=sxbrzN2eA&CAWELAID=1589546479&catargetid=1638408803&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CM-UyfjRkrQCFetDMgodqAUAXw

I live by these. I have a lot more body than you, but I like to keep it semi-conservative. 
i love those cardigans. when you got a wide load that you're walking around with everyday. You have to wear these. At least i do. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: Chyna_Li
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:23am
no
looks too tight.
cute dress tho

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:25am
I always err on the side of caution when it's work related.  Personally, I'd bring it down a notch.  My job is realllllly liberal and free-spirited.  I still wouldn't wear something tight and short.  LOL

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:27am
yes, if you are slim. no if you are going to busting out of it in all directions causing jaws to drop and eyes to roll.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

I always err on the side of caution when it's work related.  Personally, I'd bring it down a notch.  My job is realllllly liberal and free-spirited.  I still wouldn't wear something tight and short.  LOL

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:37am
I wouldn't wear it there.. If you have to come to BHM to question if it's appropiate, then you probably shouldn't wear it..

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:54am
no.

I have another Christmas work party this upcoming Friday.
Had one last Friday with some of our other clients.

OP there is too much going on with that dress. Even if you have a cute shape.
It comes off thirsty and low class IMO.

Have fun!!

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:59am
It looks to casual to me, but I really can't tell. Maybe if you pair it with a classy dress blazer.

Posted By: Ms.Best
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:17am
I think the sress is fine, the only thing that can make it inappropriate is a "certain "body type

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Ms.Best Ms.Best wrote:

I think the sress is fine, the only thing that can make it inappropriate is a "certain "body type

I agree. I couldn't wear that dress, but on a thinner person, it is more office appropriate.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:21am
I am like 103lb lol.. i just really haven't been able to find dresses that fit properly unless its like that bandage material

-------------

Posted By: Posh Ams
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:29am
Oh, that would be appropriate for our work Christmas party! You would fit right in. I am wearing something like this

http://www.boohoo.com/evening-dresses/gemma-all-over-sequin-stud-shoulder-bodycon-dress/invt/azz57462" rel="nofollow - http://www.boohoo.com/evening-dresses/gemma-all-over-sequin-stud-shoulder-bodycon-dress/invt/azz57462

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:33am
Nay

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:33am
where do you work Posh? 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:34am
I work in a brokerage firm. Everyone is much older than me. I was hoping that because I'm so slender I'd be able to get away with it

-------------

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:37am
It's a pretty dress but it's too tight for a corporate party, imo. Maybe if you wore it with a jacket...

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:40am
I would save all of that for parties with friends.  I'm not trying to show my booty to the director of my department.  I'm also very thin, but it doesn't allow me to hang out of my clothes (at work Evil SmileCry    

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

It's a pretty dress but it's too tight for a corporate party, imo. Maybe if you wore it with a jacket...

and left the jacket on all night.

People never learn Christmas parties or any job parties is where you will be judged the most. Been there done that !!!! 

It's a little dress to you and a streetwalker dress to them.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 10:56am
NO WAY OP....You will be water cooler and copy machine topic for the next 3 years.

YT people: Do you remember that girl with the tight video girl dress<---Raised eye brows.
BK people: Yall know that chick on the 4th floor had no business wearing that hoochie dress. We ain't at the club.<---Side eyes

I have a girl at work that showed me her dress for the company party and her's was a 1 side sleeveless, mega tight with sequence and above the knee. Only save grace is that its black. NO NO NO  and she has body for days. 

-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:03am
I remember going to one of my husband's corporate Christmas parties.  An older gentlemen very audibly said how disappointed he was with some of the attire of the attendees.  Judging by the appearance of his own attire, he was running some things.  Don't piss off the old people.  They're often in charge.  LOL

Posted By: Chyna_Li
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:07am
our xmas party was in the middle of the day.  we did a half day or work and the rest of the day was was spent at the xmas party. the white man was NOT playing. the party starts at lunch time. hell if u will be coming here inapprop. lol. 

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:13am
No.

-------------

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

hmm, I'm having mixed feelings about it on a black girl for some reason. Any other options?

Isn't the model bhm black?

Jk

If ur a thin girl I think the dress is ok, but u could find something amazing.

-------------
i lost all my baby weight: )

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

NO WAY OP....You will be water cooler and copy machine topic for the next 3 years.

YT people: Do you remember that girl with the tight video girl dress<---Raised eye brows.
BK people: Yall know that chick on the 4th floor had no business wearing that hoochie dress. We ain't at the club.<---Side eyes

I have a girl at work that showed me her dress for the company party and her's was a 1 side sleeveless, mega tight with sequence and above the knee. Only save grace is that its black. NO NO NO  and she has body for days. 

This happend to a sweet lady that I worked with years ago.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

Isn't the model bhm black?

Jk

If ur a thin girl I think the dress is ok, but u could find something amazing.
i meant a black girl wearing this to the company party. White girls get away with dressing like that. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:22pm
As a HR Manager, I would opt for something more "classic/classy" rather than sexy. Even if one is thin, bodycon dresses are not the best choice for a work function.

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:42pm

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

why the gloves?

why do the gloves match the earrings?

why the faux fur?

LOL
 i was focused on the dress & shoes
i follow a woman on instagram and she posted this for "Christmas photos"

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Posted By: miamiu1127
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:54pm
I think you shoulld find something else to wear. That dress no.

-------------
I don't got to be fly, I'm fly in my pockets.

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:15pm
not at all.

the person wearing that to my firm's christmas party would be talked about and not taken seriously.

dont do it OP.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by iGotSunshine iGotSunshine wrote:

Oooooh I love this outfit minus the raccoon and gloves. Those shoesClap.

-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:15pm
Op, i don't think it's appropriate for a work event, regardless of the type of job IMO...cute dress for different type event

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by EasterBell EasterBell wrote:

I wouldn't wear it there.. If you have to come to BHM to question if it's appropiate, then you probably shouldn't wear it..
IA.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:58pm
are you short? if it's long on you it might look fine. i think it should always be knee length and not form fitting. if you're thin and short it could work. 

but if you're going to look like this...then no. and she is thin

nm while thinking about it..i stumbled across this quote

Bandage dress = Universal Hookerizer. Young, old, thin, curvy, black, white … a bandage dress makes you instantly look trashy.”

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 5:05pm
not for work...you should always be conservative. How about a simple black dress w/ a statement necklace, or something?

I do think you should buy the dress, but just wear it somewhere else LOL

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: Posh Ams
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 5:27pm

where do you work Posh? 

I work in media so we're all pretty funky/cray. For the Christmas party we tend to go all out glam. I have decided against the sequin dress- tried it on for the first time just now and it is way to short for my 5ft10" frame! I'm gonna go for a floor length halter with bling all on the boobies

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

are you short? if it's long on you it might look fine. i think it should always be knee length and not form fitting. if you're thin and short it could work. 

but if you're going to look like this...then no. and she is thin

nm while thinking about it..i stumbled across this quote

Bandage dress = Universal Hookerizer. Young, old, thin, curvy, black, white … a bandage dress makes you instantly look trashy.”

lol

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Print Page | Close Window