Print Page | Close Window

Green smoothies/juicing how to?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351856
Printed Date: Dec 17 2018 at 1:11pm


Topic: Green smoothies/juicing how to?
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Subject: Green smoothies/juicing how to?
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 11:52am
I just received my Nutriblast yesterday. Is it possible to only have three smoothies a day as a meal or will I get so hungry as to develop headaches and reach for the nearest candy bar?
 
So far, I've tried a smoothie for constipation (kale, swiss chart, beet, apple, lemon, coconut water) and I can't say that it tastes great but it's tolerable. What are your ABSOLUTE BEST AND MOST BENEFICIAL recipes for regularity, nice skin and hair, weight loss and overall taste? I'm new to this. I know this thread will probably be moved but I need suggestions.Thanks in advance



Replies:
Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 11:56am
there was a really good and long thread made about juicing....maybe by applesauce? it was specifically about green smoothies. hm..i dont remember. but i would search for it and bump it.  

hmm maybe i should do one of these soon. ive been losing weight and eating right this week but i need to keep this pace up.


-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: danni7
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:00pm
Oooo Ijust bought a Nutribullet too... Trying to get more healthy and put more nutrients in my body.


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:02pm
does the coconut water make it sweet?
i have almond milk right now in my fridge
can i use that?


-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

does the coconut water make it sweet?
i have almond milk right now in my fridge
can i use that?
 
I didn't notice any noticeable sweetness, tbh. I don't even taste the coconut water. Beets is the overwheming flavour in this shake. Mind you, I have yet to go to the bathroom, so maybe it takes a few days...


Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:05pm
When I juiced I just did almost every green I could find.. (Organic) Kale, chards, spinach, celery, and a few other veggies..
With a little fresh squeezed orange juice or an apple
I also added some of my greens powder which has spirulina and other greens

I really want to do a juice cleanse and have nothing but this juice (ill mix up the recipe for some variety) for like a week.. I would add some raw/organic sprouted protein powder (this particular one can aid in cleansing) to it too.. But it's soooo hard

I'll probably try 3 days first. I wanna find this raw vanilla flavored protein powder and substitute that for the juice.. Idk if the taste will be bearable though

I used to have a book with recipes for specific things (skin, bowel cleansing, etc) but idk where it is


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

there was a really good and long thread made about juicing....maybe by applesauce? it was specifically about green smoothies. hm..i dont remember. but i would search for it and bump it.  

hmm maybe i should do one of these soon. ive been losing weight and eating right this week but i need to keep this pace up.
 
Do you remenber what section it was on? Was it TTT or Diets?


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

When I juiced I just did almost every green I could find.. (Organic) Kale, chards, spinach, celery, and a few other veggies..
With a little fresh squeezed orange juice or an apple
I also added some of my greens powder which has spirulina and other greens

I really want to do a juice cleanse and have nothing but this juice (ill mix up the recipe for some variety) for like a week.. I would add some raw/organic sprouted protein powder (this particular one can aid in cleansing) to it too.. But it's soooo hard

I'll probably try 3 days first. I wanna find this raw vanilla flavored protein powder and substitute that for the juice.. Idk if the taste will be bearable though
 
Coco, does using non organic vegetables cancel out the health effects of the juicing? They're just too dam expensive where I live,
 
I think I've seen a recipe or two with Spirulina in the Nutriblast booklet. I notice they are also big on flax seeds and turmeric...


Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:10pm
i wanted to try this

do yall feel better after drinking these?


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

i wanted to try this

do yall feel better after drinking these?
 
It's only my second drink. I'll tell you in a week or so. My main focus is regularity (I take iron pills that have horrible side effects and I'm hoping to circunvent that with diet). Second focus would be weight loss


Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

there was a really good and long thread made about juicing....maybe by applesauce? it was specifically about green smoothies. hm..i dont remember. but i would search for it and bump it.  

hmm maybe i should do one of these soon. ive been losing weight and eating right this week but i need to keep this pace up.
 
Do you remenber what section it was on? Was it TTT or Diets?

it was in TTT




-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:25pm
Thanks, Epitome. I'll look for it


Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:31pm
i want glowing skin

maybe the fruits/veggies would work
yea someone post their recipes please lol

i watch rissrose on youtube & shes been juicing and says its done wonder for her skin



Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:32pm
If you are concerned with regularity add Ginger root

-------------
are siggys back?


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

i want glowing skin

maybe the fruits/veggies would work
yea someone post their recipes please lol

i watch rissrose on youtube & shes been juicing and says its done wonder for her skin

 
I have a few in the NutriBlast book. Haven't tried them yet. It's supposed to promote glowing skin, shiny hair, a bright smile and sparkly eyes.
 
Here's two
Beauty Bar
50% mixture of turnip, collard and mustard greens
3 spears of tender young asparagus
1/2 apple
1/2 blueberries
10 hazelnuts
2 tbsd raw cocoa butter
 
Sitting pretty
1/4 cup goji berries
1/4 cup almonds
2 tbs raw cacoa
1 1/2 cups almond milk


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

If you are concerned with regularity add Ginger root
 
Oh, I will try  that. I have some in the fridge. But I thought ginger root was to relieve indigestion and not constipation


Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:05pm
Ginger root is a miracle
I had terrible constipation as a side effect of medication
Thanks to Ginger root I am now more regular than I care to be


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

Ginger root is a miracle
I had terrible constipation as a side effect of medication
Thanks to Ginger root I am now more regular than I care to be
 
That's a ringing endorsement. I'm sold. Will use in my next smoothie (so far, I've been sticking to the recipes in my book) My irregularity is also a side effect of medication. These iron pills have been making my life miserable


Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

i want glowing skin

maybe the fruits/veggies would work
yea someone post their recipes please lol

i watch rissrose on youtube & shes been juicing and says its done wonder for her skin

 
I have a few in the NutriBlast book. Haven't tried them yet. It's supposed to promote glowing skin, shiny hair, a bright smile and sparkly eyes.
 
Here's two
Beauty Bar
50% mixture of turnip, collard and mustard greens
3 spears of tender young asparagus
1/2 apple
1/2 blueberries
10 hazelnuts
2 tbsd raw cocoa butter
 
Sitting pretty
1/4 cup goji berries
1/4 cup almonds
2 tbs raw cacoa
1 1/2 cups almond milk



thanks, will try
not excited abt mustard greens tho lol


Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:


Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

Ginger root is a miracle
I had terrible constipation as a side effect of medication
Thanks to Ginger root I am now more regular than I care to be

 
That's a ringing endorsement. I'm sold. Will use in my next smoothie (so far, I've been sticking to the recipes in my book) My irregularity is also a side effect of medication. These iron pills have been making my life miserable


I stopped taking my iron pills until I go back to the doctor.

-------------
are siggys back?


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:23pm
Jolie, if you plan on doing a full smoothie diet, I would recommend that, at least in the beginning, you make smoothies that make you actually say "mmmm pretty good!" You can do this by only adding 1 veggie (the green of your choice, I always do Kale or spinach) and then some fruits.

Its will be sweet and you don't need to add any kind of milk or sugar. Just water. The thing I've found that makes them good is that you have to have some sort of "creamy" type fruit. So either banana or mango, peach etc. Banana is cheaper lol...and then toss in your apples and whatever else you want Thumbs Up


Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:47pm
ugh, girl, I have recipes for DAYS. What I'll do is take notes as to what I'm making when I do and I'll pm you. I make them on the spot and if I like them, I make more if I like it.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna


Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:53pm
Think about the tastes and textures you like and start with that. Try to keep it simple at first so you can figure out what tastes good (Ex: carrot, orange, and kale). Green smoothies with a whole bunch of greens don't actually taste good at first and you won't stick with it. Plus, they generally don't have enough calories to keep you full so then you end up reaching for other stuff.

I'm not much of a milk based smoothie person...but if you do use milk, definitely include ice and it seems like banana goes best as a sweet fruit (also orange, kinda like those popsicles).

carrot-great for making your smoothie sweet without adding sugar (you shouldn't be adding any sugar or honey or agave or anything like that)
avocado-perfect for adding calories from good fats and you can't actually taste it in the smoothie
celery juice-adds salt...drinking it straight will put you in the bathroom

I tend to use frozen fruit/vegetables because otherwise stuff will go bad on me. Either way, make sure to get good quality stuff.


Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:



Coco, does using non organic vegetables cancel out the health effects of the juicing? They're just too dam expensive where I live

I think I've seen a recipe or two with Spirulina in the Nutriblast booklet. I notice they are also big on flax seeds and turmeric...


No non organic veggies don't cancel out the effects.
For me though since I want to cleanse/detox I feel like its kinda pointless to put things with chemicals in my body while trying to clean myself out and get rid of toxins..

Although, 3 days isn't enough to get all that out anyways.

I just rather use organic things with everything though. If you notice they typically have gorg skin..
It is expensive though.. If you have a raleys it's pretty affordable there or farmers markets


ITD can you pm me too?


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Jolie, if you plan on doing a full smoothie diet, I would recommend that, at least in the beginning, you make smoothies that make you actually say "mmmm pretty good!" You can do this by only adding 1 veggie (the green of your choice, I always do Kale or spinach) and then some fruits.

Its will be sweet and you don't need to add any kind of milk or sugar. Just water. The thing I've found that makes them good is that you have to have some sort of "creamy" type fruit. So either banana or mango, peach etc. Banana is cheaper lol...and then toss in your apples and whatever else you want Thumbs Up
 
Sounds good. I will try that. I'm used to smoothies with fruit, almond milk and sugar, but it's extra calories I don't need, so I will try with just water. I will have to incorporate some veggie smoothies though, because the whole point of this is to reap the health benefits of this method
 
@I'mThatDiva: Yes! Do PM me with your recipes! I would really like that!


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Think about the tastes and textures you like and start with that. Try to keep it simple at first so you can figure out what tastes good (Ex: carrot, orange, and kale). Green smoothies with a whole bunch of greens don't actually taste good at first and you won't stick with it. Plus, they generally don't have enough calories to keep you full so then you end up reaching for other stuff.

I'm not much of a milk based smoothie person...but if you do use milk, definitely include ice and it seems like banana goes best as a sweet fruit (also orange, kinda like those popsicles).

carrot-great for making your smoothie sweet without adding sugar (you shouldn't be adding any sugar or honey or agave or anything like that)
avocado-perfect for adding calories from good fats and you can't actually taste it in the smoothie
celery juice-adds salt...drinking it straight will put you in the bathroom

I tend to use frozen fruit/vegetables because otherwise stuff will go bad on me. Either way, make sure to get good quality stuff.
 
Well the good news is I have all these things in my fridge (I went a little crazy and bought too many vegetables at one time, lol. Hope I don't lose some to decay)


Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 3:09pm
http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes" rel="nofollow - http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes


Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 3:58pm
 
[/QUOTE]


thanks, will try
not excited abt mustard greens tho lol
[/QUOTE]
 
I have another one that might taste a little better (again, haven't tried it)
 
Glow Profile
- 50% Swiss Chard
-1/2 cup pineapple
-1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 tbs goji berries
-12 cashews
-Water
 
Let me know if you like any of them



Print Page | Close Window