Print Page | Close Window

anyone raised a puppy before?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351636
Printed Date: Nov 17 2017 at 9:34pm

Topic: anyone raised a puppy before?
Posted By: missunfoolish
Subject: anyone raised a puppy before?
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:44pm
long story short

i want a puppy. asked for one back in june & gave up cause i didnt know what i was in for
she kept crying when she wasnt sleeping in the bed with me.
kept everyone up all night.
everyone blamed me so i just gave her to a friend

but i want to try again cause i realllyyy want a dog
i had one before but he was already grown & what not.

any tips on taking care of a puppy, that is if i get one.. again :/

Replies:
Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:47pm
i had 3. 

it can be hard and frustrating but for the most part it was fine. i gave away 1. 

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:48pm
A few times but how young of a puppy are you talking? The younger it is the more they want to be up under you...I mean they have just been removed from their mom so they seek security. Maybe u should start with a puppy that's a few months to a year old who has been around ppl for awhile and is use to being left alone.

-------------

[QUOTE=coconess]i had 3. 

it can be hard and frustrating but for the most part it was fine. i gave away 1. 
[/QUOTE

how do you deal with them wanting to sleep with u and never in their own space?
my last cried like hell alll night, even tried to sleep through it hoping she'd stop but didnt.
then pottytraining was hell too smh

Posted By: foxyroy19

What was the problem with the puppy sleeping with you?

-------------
Taking names...keeping notes!

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

A few times but how young of a puppy are you talking? The younger it is the more they want to be up under you...I mean they have just been removed from their mom so they seek security. Maybe u should start with a puppy that's a few months to a year old who has been around ppl for awhile and is use to being left alone.

yea i forgot how old she was but i know she was young. maybe that was it

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:50pm
All young puppies will cry when they aren't sleeping with you, you may want to get an older dog
if your family can't handle the crying.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

i dont want puppy all over my bed lol
+ i want to set boundaries so she wouldnt get use to it

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

All young puppies will cry when they aren't sleeping with you, you may want to get an older dog
if your family can't handle the crying.

really? how long does the crying usually go on tho?

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:53pm
got my dog when he was 6 weeks, he's 3 now. we tried to make M.D. sleep in the laundry room. he wasn't having it. He only sleeps where he can see you. so he slept in my room in a kennel til he got old enough to sleep in his bed. the kennel needs to be small, they don't tend to potty where they sleep.

when you're trying to train him, we took him out every few hours. foxy reminded me, we actually took him out not long after eating. if he went on the floor, i immediately took him outside. praise or treat him when he does it right. same goes for tricks

once they figure out the rules, which just takes time (few months for M.D.), it's easy
feed them, get them their shots, a good flea medicine. and show them love and attention

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:53pm
Housebreaking is pretty easy.  When you feed the pup take him outside within a few minutes afterwards to use it.  Do not let him back in the house until he does his business and when he does...praise the hell out of the pup and go back in the house.  DO NOT HAVE FOOD OR WATER available all day at random because then you will have sh*t and piss at random.  Only feed the dog when you know you have the time to take him outside to do his business it should be scheduled feeding and taking him out.  If you can't dedicate the time do not get a puppy.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:55pm
My moms dog was only a couple weeks old when we got him... he slept with someone every night for about a month. Until he got use to the new surroundings, especially at night. In the day time he wasnt as clingy.  However we always had his little bed on our bed so he would learn that where ever his bed was is where he was suppose to lay. Eventually it was moved to the floor of the same room and later out the room.

But we loved the bugger so after some years we would let him in without the bed or he would sleep on our bed. When he had access to his bed he would go lay on it.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:56pm

imo, they need to learn their space first. if you start it off in the bed, he'll never learn otherwise

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:57pm
How long can a dog hold its pee while you at work?

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:58pm
Southern is right...get a cute little kennel and place it in your room...the pup wants to see you and know where you are.  Like a new born baby that cries all through the night...you don't give up and give the baby a way.  My husband hates when I compare babies to animals....but sometimes if you can't see it that way then maybe you should not get a pup if it is easy to give it away.   What breed are you leaning towards?

(animal lover post)

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Addicted19034 Addicted19034 wrote:

How long can a dog hold its pee while you at work?

Depends on the size and age of the dog also health.   What age breed are you concerned with?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:01pm
my pups were about 4 weeks i think.. i know they were younger than they're supposed to be. You're typically not supposed to take them from their mother for 8 weeks i think. i had to feed them from a bottle. 

they did whine all night.. but they slept with each other so they were ok. 
one thing i hated was that they would like lay in 69 position and suck each others wee wee's... they were really too young. 

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

imo, they need to learn their space first. if you start it off in the bed, he'll never learn otherwise

IA.  But there are alternatives.  Would love to know what breed she is referring to in her original post.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

my pups were about 4 weeks i think.. i know they were younger than they're supposed to be. You're typically not supposed to take them from their mother for 8 weeks i think. i had to feed them from a bottle. 

one thing i hated was that they would like lay in 69 position and suck each others wee wee's... they were really too young. 

Cry  poor babies...what happened to them?

-------------

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:06pm
Keep his kenel outside of your door where he can see you

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:07pm
There's a ten ear old pair of brother I'm looking at and a 3 3 year old

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:10pm

LOL What?  Random dogs from the pound?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:10pm
@foxy

i had a lil bed for her on my floor in my room but she still wanted me
and i mean i had a dog before, i know i can take care of one but a puppy, never
so it was just rough

taking care of my baby brother since forever, and he's easier lol

not sure of the breed im getting (if i do)
but my last one was chihuahua mixed with something, she was little but crazy

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:11pm

how u deal with the whining

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:17pm
Maybe u should bypass getting a young puppy. The whining is going to happen. They are babies thats what they do.... You have to comfort it as such, some more than others.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:19pm

They not at a pound, they are in foster care right now..and don't you adopt from a shelter? Where else am I supposed to be going

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:19pm
When puppies are together you get less whining because they have each other.  Chi are kinda crazy...I have one purebred CHI now in my life...but I never had puppy issues because I never just had one pup at any given time and if so my kids took turns sleeping with the pup until the pup found it's on space in the house which in my experience takes about a week to two weeks for a routine.  I generally purchased puppies in pairs.  The kennel may be your solution or a much older dog.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:22pm

When puppies are together you get less whining because they have each other.  Chi are kinda crazy...I have one purebred CHI now in my life...but I never had puppy issues because I never just had one pup at any given time and if so my kids took turns sleeping with the pup until the pup found it's on space in the house which in my experience takes about a week to two weeks for a routine.  I generally purchased puppies in pairs.  The kennel may be your solution or a much older dog.

but i dont want an older dog lol
and i can get it a kennel i guess

i can sleep with her i'm scared ill crush her or something or she'd pee on me, thats why i was so cautious

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:23pm
btw, did u ever have to leave the puppy alone or something
how do u watch them 24/7

i start school in jan and ima have to leave in the morning

ah everything just not panning out right Cry

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:25pm

Housebreaking is pretty easy.  When you feed the pup take him outside within a few minutes afterwards to use it.  Do not let him back in the house until he does his business and when he does...praise the hell out of the pup and go back in the house.  DO NOT HAVE FOOD OR WATER available all day at random because then you will have sh*t and piss at random.  Only feed the dog when you know you have the time to take him outside to do his business it should be scheduled feeding and taking him out.  If you can't dedicate the time do not get a puppy.
aww sh*t there goes my chances of gettign that pup i wanted

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:26pm
i think i want a lab 

Posted By: bubblyboo
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:30pm
My family bred dogs for years so I've raised over 500 puppies. I'm being honest but I don't think you are ready for a dog. Especially since you live with other people. It will be a hassle for them. Maybe you can grin and bear it but others won't want to put up with it. Puppies cry, whine, bark, chew up sheit and require just as much attention as a baby IMO especially when they are only a few weeks/days old. Just wait. You don't want to get a puppy thats a few months old. You'll be taking the fun out of experience... you know the cute stuff they do, holding it etc... 

-------------
Cry me a river d*@kface you just got yourself another one!

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:30pm

They not at a pound, they are in foster care right now..and don't you adopt from a shelter? Where else am I supposed to be going

I didn't know if you were going to a breeder for a Portugese water dog or York shire terrierSmile  When I say random...I generally mean mixed breed where you don't know what behavior you are getting even though pound dogs sometimes make the BEST PETS. 
The foster Parents should be able to give you a gage how long the dogs can hold thier piss.  If they can't then I would run from that foster parent because that means they don't have a gage of the dogs in thier care. 

Regardless of size you can guesstimate accidents to happen less if you ensure your dog is let out every morning like clock work and at night before you go to bed.

Generally,  Yorkie size dog 10lbs or less need to go out more often.  If you are gone to work lets say 8 + hours a day it would be advisable to pad train your small dogs in this size range. 

If the dog is 15 to 20lbs they can generally comfortable hold their piss for about 6hours but you are asking a great deal from a dog this size but you may be lucky to find one that can hold it to this time frame.

Usually a dog in the 45lb + range can hold their piss for 8hrs or longer as long as you make sure they are let out in the morning  to relieve themselves.   I had a Great Dane that could hold it that long and a Austrailian Shepard who was in the 45lb range.  But this is dependent on the health of the dog and not written in stone.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

how do u watch them 24/7

yep. he had a baby gate Embarrassed i left him his food, a potty bad, bed/kennel, and a toy
he cried. but hopefully he got over and went to sleep.

now, he just chills around the house.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:32pm

how do u watch them 24/7

yep. he had a baby gate Embarrassed i left him his food, a potty bad, bed/kennel, and a toy
he cried. but hopefully he got over and went to sleep.

now, he just chills around the house.

this gives me hope

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:33pm
sometimes i yelled at them and popped them. 
but i think i just learned to ignore it.. 

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

My family bred dogs for years so I've raised over 500 puppies. I'm being honest but I don't think you are ready for a dog. Especially since you live with other people. It will be a hassle for them. Maybe you can grin and bear it but others won't want to put up with it. Puppies cry, whine, bark, chew up sheit and require just as much attention as a baby IMO especially when they are only a few weeks/days old. Just wait. You don't want to get a puppy thats a few months old. You'll be taking the fun out of experience... you know the cute stuff they do, holding it etc... 

BUT I REALLY WANT IT

& my hope is destroyed

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:35pm
What size dog do you have Southern?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:35pm

sometimes i yelled at them and popped them. 
but i think i just learned to ignore it.. 

popped them Cry

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:36pm

Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

BUT I REALLY WANT IT

& my hope is destroyed

aww this gif is breaking my heart.Cry

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:36pm
if you can dedicate yourself to a few months, it's smooth sailing from there. I chose to get mine months before school started so by then he knew what the deal was

if you're starting school in january, i suggest waiting. maybe in the summer you can dedicate more time to him

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:37pm

What size dog do you have Southern?

he's 7 to 8 lbs
a pomeranian

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:38pm
Generally a dog will not sh*t or piss where it sleeps.  If a dog pisses on your bed that is because you didn't let it out on schedule or it was crated to long and had no choice.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:40pm

Generally a dog will not sh*t or piss where it sleeps.  If a dog pisses on your bed that is because you didn't let it out on schedule or it was crated to long and had no choice.

my dog peed in the bed one time. even after cleaning, i never used that comforter again.
he's learned to wake me  up

*i could talk about him all day*

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:41pm
Poms have so much personality!Tongue  There was one at the pet store in Japan for 1200.00 but it was reduced to 500.00.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:41pm
oh okay.

man, im impatient tho
i rly want a dog to get mind mind off things

but i havent thought about how im going to juggle babysitting my brother after school and taking care of the puppy before & when i get back

all i know is i want it

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:42pm

my dog peed in the bed one time. even after cleaning, i never used that comforter again.

tell me bout him

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:45pm
My neighbor had a pom and her dog would just police the whole driveway...too cute. My chi is like that...it is annoying.  I have never had small dogs until now.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:51pm
I'm looking at poms too

These are the ones I'm interested in. The one on the left is 3 years(buddy),, the ones in the right are 10 yr old brothers( Leo and stitch) they are house trained but maybe I can pad train them for when I'm at work.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:55pm
I would get the brothers to keep them together....Heart  are they neutered?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:57pm

tell me bout him

tryna get insights on poopies lol

basically i got lucky. he doesn't bark, doesn't bite. a little too friendly with strangers. lazy. still cuddles up to me like i'm his mother. he isn't the brightest but he's cute as a button. great companion

negatives: he's a picky eater. must stay groomed. the shots can be expensive but you can likely find a low cost clinic. i feel bad when i leave him for hours, but he forgives. got carsick as a puppy

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 6:59pm

I'm looking at poms too

These are the ones I'm interested in. The one on the left is 3 years(buddy),, the ones in the right are 10 yr old brothers( Leo and stitch) they are house trained but maybe I can pad train them for when I'm at work.

*heart melts*
how is their health. i think poms have a life span of about 15 years (Cry makes me sad to think about)

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:04pm

tell me bout him

tryna get insights on poopies lol

basically i got lucky. he doesn't bark, doesn't bite. a little too friendly with strangers. lazy. still cuddles up to me like i'm his mother. he isn't the brightest but he's cute as a button. great companion

negatives: he's a picky eater. must stay groomed. the shots can be expensive but you can likely find a low cost clinic. i feel bad when i leave him for hours, but he forgives. got carsick as a puppy

aww.
ugh i hope my mom gives in & lets me try again Cry

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:07pm
Leo and stitch have to take a daily pill for narrowed tracheas.

I really want them( how cute are they) but the life span thing scares me. This would be my first dog and I dnt want them to pass shortly after I adopt them. I just don't want them peeing all in the house. They are house and crate trained. Idk which to pick. They are already 10 years old with no adopters, I would like to give them a home.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:09pm
How did they end up in the foster situation?

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:10pm
yea, that trachea thing is common with small dogs. i think if you have the heart, you can provide them with a good home, for however long they'e meant to be here

i wish i could adopt all the doggies

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 7:56pm
I couldn't do it, all that crying at night. I have to get my sleep, he had to go!

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:00pm
thats what happened to puppy # 1 :(

lol. maybe i should wait for summer but ugh too far

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:18pm
Even having a kennel in the room may not be good
enough for them. My brother was away at school and bought one of our other broter's puppies and
I kept her for a few days until he could come home to get her. She slept in a box in my room next to my bed, and the bish would whine and try to climb out of the box numerous times throughout the night. I would knock her ass off the side of the box a few times before she got tired and went to sleep for an hour before she would do it again

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:20pm

Sounds like my puppy. He is a sweetie.

Posted By: bk2la981
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:36pm
I've had 3 dogs in the past 3 years. My ex got the first (mini bulldog) without telling me and I was severely allergic to it. Potty training was a nightmare in 100 degree weather and he stank even right after a bath. I felt like I was in puppy prison. He gave it away to his co worker who has a big house and another dog. $800 down the drain. A year later he goes to the shelter to get another one. He got an ugly little 3 yr old, but grew on me because he is extremely smart. The ex trained him to be walked without a leash which I'm kinda against. I got another 3yr old from the shelter. Dumb as rocks but cute and very affectionate with people he knows. They both sleep with me or my daughter in the bed. my cuddly one loves to sleep in the hamper or in a pile of clothes. They keep eachother company so I'm not rushing to get home like when I had only one. Get an older dog of you can't wait. shelter dogs are awesome! Mine only bark when they feel they need to protect me.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by bk2la981 bk2la981 wrote:

I've had 3 dogs in the past 3 years. My ex got the first (mini bulldog) without telling me and I was severely allergic to it. Potty training was a nightmare in 100 degree weather and he stank even right after a bath. I felt like I was in puppy prison. He gave it away to his co worker who has a big house and another dog. $800 down the drain. A year later he goes to the shelter to get another one. He got an ugly little 3 yr old, but grew on me because he is extremely smart. The ex trained him to be walked without a leash which I'm kinda against. I got another 3yr old from the shelter. Dumb as rocks but cute and very affectionate with people he knows. They both sleep with me or my daughter in the bed. my cuddly one loves to sleep in the hamper or in a pile of clothes. They keep eachother company so I'm not rushing to get home like when I had only one. Get an older dog of you can't wait. shelter dogs are awesome! Mine only bark when they feel they need to protect me.

My baby sleeps in a pile of clothes as well! She pulls them out
of my hamper and lays on them while I'm in my room doing HW. As soon as I lay down to go to sleeps she comes and cuddles up under me.

Posted By: uNaTtaiNAblE88
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:43pm
i got my boxer puppy at 8 weeks. she was used to being with her parents and brother so we made provisions for that. not sure if mentioned, but we made sure that she had a large stuffed animal to cuddle up next to in her kennel, and underneath we put a ticking clock to mimic the rhythym of a heartbeat. her kennel was next to our bed so she could see us. she whined for two nights and then that was it.expect whining. its what they do. if you can't handle it, then a puppy isn't for you.

in terms of potty training, her meals were scheduled, no free eating. that way we could make sure she went outside right after. we would take turns letting her out at night, because puppies can't hold their waste in for a long time, and will generally not eliminate where they sleep. she was praised for getting it right, and her word association is still, "potty outside." DO NOT engage in punishment conditioning for potty training, i.e. yelling or hitting when they don't get it right. we just didn't comment on it.

RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. its very helpful so you know what to expect. I visited boxer forums, dog behavior websites, got dog books from the library, etc. A dog is an amazing companion, but you owe it to them to think on their level when raising them, so they become well-adjusted. logic has no place in a dog's life, association does. exercise is everything, its not fair to keep them locked up for hours at a time, so I don't recommend them for single people with jobs. good luck!

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 8:59pm

thats what happened to puppy # 1 :(

lol. maybe i should wait for summer but ugh too far

Could try a puppy pad? Idk

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:02pm

This...

My fiance and I got a yorkie when he was just 2 months old. And part of it was because the breeder kept him by her side at all times and the other was because he was just so young, but he CANNOT sleep away from us unless we're at the IL house where the dogs aren't allowed upstairs.

It also depends on the breed. Do your homework as some can be more challenging to train than others and certain breeds are more predisposed to health issues than others.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by LovesHim LovesHim wrote:

I started my yorkie off in a play pen at 6 weeks... He cried all night so I put him in a kennel in my bedroom..... Once he was potty trained I let him in my bed......  6 years later he is still in my bed.....
He keeps my feet warm at night......

My husband only kicks him out during sexy time

Same here!LOL

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:44pm
After thinking about it OP sounds like she wants a cat 

-------------

Posted By: MsBella
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:44pm
I gave my puppy a stuffed animal. I put it inside his kennel! Sometimes I let my ipad or radio play softly right next to his kennel and it really helped. 

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:48pm
i got my dog when he was a puppy...he's a shih tzu. I'd post his picture...but bhm always laughs at his clothing-- and im not in the mood today.lol
he's 7 now...

when i first got him..
we were very stict w/ his schedule... we fed him and walked him the same exact times every day.
he was so small-- it was hard for us not to want to play w/ him 24/7 but he had to get used to sleeping in his crate ( the breeder instructed us).  so when we first got him he only slept in the crate.

also since he was such a small breed-- we used to have to give him some form of sugar to keep his sugar up b/c he exerted so much energy w/ his hyper self to be so small.
I'd give him a small amount of honey or karo syrup to help w/ that.

he's good for the most part-- my mom ruined him tho'.
like he used to love dog food-- but now he wont go near it.
so yeah- we have to cook for him.

basically you get the type of dog--you train.
so always be mindful of that.
especially if you are doing this to raise a spoiled dog.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 9:52pm
LOL

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 7:51am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Even having a kennel in the room may not be good
enough for them. My brother was away at school and bought one of our other broter's puppies and
I kept her for a few days until he could come home to get her. She slept in a box in my room next to my bed, and the bish would whine and try to climb out of the box numerous times throughout the night. I would knock her ass off the side of the box a few times before she got tired and went to sleep for an hour before she would do it again

yes! she tried to climb out too and i thought she would get tired of crying but she didn't
i even tried for an hr Cry

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by uNaTtaiNAblE88 uNaTtaiNAblE88 wrote:

i got my boxer puppy at 8 weeks. she was used to being with her parents and brother so we made provisions for that. not sure if mentioned, but we made sure that she had a large stuffed animal to cuddle up next to in her kennel, and underneath we put a ticking clock to mimic the rhythym of a heartbeat. her kennel was next to our bed so she could see us. she whined for two nights and then that was it.expect whining. its what they do. if you can't handle it, then a puppy isn't for you.

in terms of potty training, her meals were scheduled, no free eating. that way we could make sure she went outside right after. we would take turns letting her out at night, because puppies can't hold their waste in for a long time, and will generally not eliminate where they sleep. she was praised for getting it right, and her word association is still, "potty outside." DO NOT engage in punishment conditioning for potty training, i.e. yelling or hitting when they don't get it right. we just didn't comment on it.

RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH. its very helpful so you know what to expect. I visited boxer forums, dog behavior websites, got dog books from the library, etc. A dog is an amazing companion, but you owe it to them to think on their level when raising them, so they become well-adjusted. logic has no place in a dog's life, association does. exercise is everything, its not fair to keep them locked up for hours at a time, so I don't recommend them for single people with jobs. good luck!

makes alot of sense, guess ima save this til im sure i can take care of her
maybe wanting a puppy when im jussst about to start first yr in college is not a good idea Cry

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 7:54am

how does it sounds like i want a cat?

i hate them hoes lol

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 12:52pm
I want a doggie. Poms are too cute!

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 1:29pm

how does it sounds like i want a cat?

i hate them hoes lol

They tend to be more independent than dogs.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I want a cat

I can help you out with that

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 2:10pm
dont get a dog