Print Page | Close Window

Could You/Do You Live Near Your InLaws?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351475
Printed Date: Dec 13 2018 at 8:54pm

Topic: Could You/Do You Live Near Your InLaws?
Posted By: EPITOME
Subject: Could You/Do You Live Near Your InLaws?
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 11:58am
I told my BIL during Thanksgiving that as much as I like them and ATL suburbs area I could never live near them.Ouch

Backstory: My two SILs live about 10 minutes away from each other and they are like oil and water. They have periodic fights throughout the year which result in them not talking to each other for periods of time.  Thanksgiving was one of those times with one sister coming over for Thanksgiving but not telling the other sister that she was coming until the morning off [and she didn't tell her sister, her daughter did which annoyed the other sister to no end] and she spent the entire time on her phone and didn't talk to anyone.Sleepy   Sh*t was mad awkward.

Now I have no problem with either SIL but I am closer to one.  And I told my dh that if we moved down there we would inevitably be pulled into their bullsh*t with one another.

He agreed.LOL  He was like "yeah I like being a phone call away."Pinch

So BHM, for those who have in-laws could you move near them? For those who don't..do you imagine yourself living near them?

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Replies:
Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:03pm
I take back what I said. There are worse things than having your SO's family love you. I guess I could manage it.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:05pm
Don't have inlaws.  I don't want to live near my family or my husband's family.  Nigerian in-laws especially are nosey, intrusive, and overbearing.  No thanks.

-------------
Omi te mi o ni san koja mi.

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:06pm
MIL for sure, I could live with her but my FIL hell no! He brought a house next door to his own in the hope we would want to live there. My husband was like hell no. We love the old man but he can get annoying real quickly. 

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:06pm
I wouldn't mind if they were cool people. Now if they weren't........ I would try to live as far possible.

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:10pm
We live literally 45 min between both sets of in-laws. My fam tends to have the side that does knock down drag out fights, so with the exception of my immediate family, I don't mess with them unless it's a major holiday. His family is VERY close. As in he calls his dad daily type thing and there's always someone over at our house. We live in the Bronx, and so does the majority of his family so we see people all the time.

Since they're not overbearing and are actually very helpful, I don't mind it at all. But if you have in-laws that are like harpies, being 45 min away and being connected to them on FB, phone, etc would be a nightmare.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:10pm
I live about 1hr from my in-laws (fil/mil/bils) and that is too damn close. I don't see them too often (before thanksgiving, the last time I saw them was in Apr) but hubby works with his dad and sees them more than me.

maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they werent all backstabbing, moneygrubbing azzholes.

i wish there were more distance

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:11pm
fate worse than death. no thanks. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:11pm
see his sisters are fine--as long as they're not fighting. i especially like my BIL. we do stuff like take family bike rides and hikes when we're down there which i like. [his sisters aren't particularly active and neither his my dh] so i get to do stuff like that with the family and hang out with my nieces and nephews which i like a lot.

but when they're mad at each other--lawd help us!

-------------

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:17pm
My inlaws are nice to ME, but they have a love/hate relationship with their son. Lmao
Seriously.
He wouldn't want to live near them, but if we did move to their city, we may end up seeing each other because it is so small, and we are always out and about. and he would probably feel uncomfortable about that. Plus his mother would send out her spies. I think it would be best if we stayed at a distance, and he would probably agree. Lol
Hot mess

Posted By: iGotSunshine
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:18pm
no 
his mother is annoying 
and if we have kids she would be trying to tell me how to raise them 
i'd rather not 

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:34pm

No. His sisters are hard enough to take 9 hours away. They are some of the biggest drama queens on the planet, and that's a lot to say because I'm a serious drama queen too. He has a hard enough time being close to my family, which is full of mess, so all that drama within an hour's vicinity would surely send him straight to the grave.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:45pm
For any relative if they come over because they happen to be in the neighborhood, itll be because they drove 1.5-3hrs to get here.

-------------

Posted By: Chyna_Li
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:51pm
I dont want my parents or my in-laws living near me.
visiting is justttt fine

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:56pm
I actually love a big family, though. I would love to be around my MIL and FIL and all of my 9 B/SILs
Not to mention my own family.
Lol i'd love it!

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 12:57pm
That's.my dream.( just thought of Dreamgirls)

If I one day marry my SO then yes .

One day when he was house hunting he was looking at houses big enough to fit his brothers and their wives and children ...I definitely couldn't do that.

But I could live on the block with all of us. My fam and his.
That's how I grew up.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:07pm
As much as I love my fam I cant do the same block.....

-------------

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:11pm
yes we do.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:14pm
Back home half of my fam pretty much lives within walking distance from each other. 

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:15pm
my sis tried to persuade me/us to build our house next to theirs lol.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:36pm
i love the idea of it...i just need these 2 women to stop fighting all the time lol.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:41pm
Honestly, 30 min to 2hrs away is perfect distance. Proximity breeds contempt in my opinion. I don't want someone right on top of me all the time. When I know that you're going to have to drive over and pay multiple tolls to cross a few bridges and parkways to get to me, I know you'll really think about it before you make your way up here. As much as I love my in laws and my own fam, I don't want them in walking distance of my home. @_@

IMO, once you graduate HS and go to college, the idea of sharing living space with your relatives is hard.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:43pm
my brother wants all his kids and their families to build homes around his home. He already has the acreage and he wants a family community like where he grew up. I like that idea.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:47pm
It's great in theory...but there are some moochers in my dh's family. So....I want them to be a number of toll payments away from me lol!

One of his aunts moved upstate (we live in NYC) about 10 min from my in-laws. And to cut down on the cost of HER electric and gas bills etc., she started staying over 2-3x a week at his parent's house (my dh's father is her brother). It pissed my MIL off, and for good reason. So, um yeah...I like the idea of a good $10 toll deterring moochy relatives from wanting to visit!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Back home half of my fam pretty much lives within walking distance from each other. 

This is how it is for my dad side of the family and where my fam lives now...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

It's great in theory...but there are some moochers in my dh's family. So....I want them to be a number of toll payments away from me lol!

One of his aunts moved upstate (we live in NYC) about 10 min from my in-laws. And to cut down on the cost of HER electric and gas bills etc., she started staying over 2-3x a week at his parent's house (my dh's father is her brother). It pissed my MIL off, and for good reason. So, um yeah...I like the idea of a good $10 toll deterring moochy relatives from wanting to visit!

lol the flip side of having the inlaws a long distance drive away, is that when they do visit they have to spend the night. LOLLOL

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:53pm
I wouldn't mind. I grew up pretty close to family and it was great.

I live about 5 mins from my brother and they don't see me as often as they'd like. Sometimes I'm in there everyday and other times I'm away for months.

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:55pm
but what we think are 'negatives' is the reasons   my brother wants the family community thing. He wants the drop in visits; come get eggs from fridge if you need 'em--no need to knock; pop in to eat dinner if you know they're cooking; drop the kids off anytime; need the car--just let us know and take it; etc. He loves all that stuff . He wanted them to all move into his house at one point. 

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 1:58pm
we live about 15 min from both sets of parents. its no big deal. they dont pop up unexpected or anything. we rotate hanging at each set of parents house. i definitely wouldnt want to live in the same house though.

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:01pm
I wouldn't mind the same house if it was a large house. Each fam should have their own wing and entrance of course. Their own garage too, maybe. So it would be a family home, not like they are all living together.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:05pm
When I was growing up that's how it was Purp. My dad's siblings had rooms in the out house and when they moved out they all built homes next to each other.

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

lol the flip side of having the inlaws a long distance drive away, is that when they do visit they have to spend the night. LOLLOL

Haha...it's a 45 min drive! So, they're not so far that they can't go home haha. And since our apartment could fit 3x in their house with room to spare, I KNOW they're not staying the night lol!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:06pm
^^you serving drinks? lol

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:07pm
Family is babysitters.....them nigguhs need to be close by.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:17pm
The street I grew up own is all paternal cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents.
My moms whole family is 5 minutes away.

I want my kids to grow up like that.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:23pm

I wouldn't mind the same house if it was a large house. Each fam should have their own wing and entrance of course. Their own garage too, maybe. So it would be a family home, not like they are all living together.

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!HeartClap

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:24pm
^^TC I remembered you like that set up too. 

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:25pm
TC, I know my sisters would be coming to our wing all the time to borrow my husband to fix something, with their flashlight-holding men LOL

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

The street I grew up own is all paternal cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents.

When family is all around it makes you not act up...cause someone will find out and you will get your ass beat. I can't go anywhere without seeing someone in my family.

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:30pm
lmaooooo

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: lovelife
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:37pm
no, especially if the guy is a momma's boy like my current so. i can just imagine Dead

-------------
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:43pm

like a sister wife?LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:44pm

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

When family is all around it makes you not act up...cause someone will find out and you will get your ass beat. I can't go anywhere without seeing someone in my family.

i know someone whose family is like this. he lives near his wife's family and i think they're all about 10 minutes max away from each other with some living down the same street. 

one sister moved to GA, the other one moved next door. when the first sister moved, the second sister moved too.  the third sister moved when they moved back to FL. the fourth sister lives with their parents with her husband.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 2:50pm

my mothers side of family bascially stayed in the same area when i was growing up.  i couldn't do shyt if i wanted too.

pity...on big love, bill's sister wives had actual seperate houses that only shared a yard...that compound, however, was a different story....

-------------

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:29pm
my mom in law is moving in soon :)

-------------

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:30pm
No can do! We live hours apart and that's not enough!

-------------
#TeamFitz-Scandal
#TeamTN-CEO

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:33pm
If they were nice cool people, sure.

Among other things, I would appreciate the free reliable babysitting.Approve

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:41pm
Nope. The further the better his family cray!!! he part cray also but him I can deal with them NO!!! He also wouldn't be near my fam. at least not my dad he says he's to overbearing and likes to challenge him too much, duh!!! you took his baby girl from himLOL

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Shockedyou will be in my paryersBeer

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:48pm
to answer the original post----Hell Noooooo! they too nosey and are lonely jealous people.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Shockedyou will be in my paryersBeer
yeah cause eventually she'll want to cookCry beans and rice everydayCry. LOL she learned years ago not to get my way. besides that i have the only grandbabies in the family. Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

my MIL told me last week that she would be watching my son after I went back to work...didn't ask, just told me. and this bish live about an hr away in the exact opposite direction of my job. told me i was selfish when i said no thanks Ermm

i do not want her free reliable babysitting.

-------------
have touched.

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:55pm
I'd never marry someone whose parents I don't like. 

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:56pm

I'd never marry someone whose parents I don't like. 

That would be tough. I like my inlaws

-------------

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

my MIL told me last week that she would be watching my son after I went back to work...didn't ask, just told me. and this bish live about an hr away in the exact opposite direction of my job. told me i was selfish when i said no thanks Ermm

i do not want her free reliable babysitting.
Tell her she can drive on over to your house to babysit then.Evil Smile

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 5:02pm
man i don't trust that lady in my home. if i had known how bad they could get, I probably would have thought long and hard about marriage. i really understand now how ppl say "you marry the whole family" 

-------------
have touched.

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 7:23pm
I could and did before I had their first grandbaby

Now drama isn't even the word. Glad I live 2 hours away

-------------