Print Page | Close Window

Has anyones parents gotten divorced later in life

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351264
Printed Date: Jun 20 2018 at 12:48pm

Topic: Has anyones parents gotten divorced later in life
Posted By: starflower7
Subject: Has anyones parents gotten divorced later in life
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:14am
? Or have any of you gotten divorced in middle age? Like after all your kids were grown? Do you think this makes sense? Thoughts?

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Replies:
Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:20am
My parents are still married but I think it makes sense.  If your kids have consumed your life and you realize you don't know/love/like each other once they're gone I guess.  Or if you stayed together just to raise them.  If I ever divorced the man, which I highly doubt, I'd do it after our kids were grown.  We just talked about this today.  We were listening to Jay-Zs Black Album and he takes a little about being angry after his parents split and we were like, "Aw, let's don't do that to our kids!"

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:31am
my parents got divorced when i was like 20. mom wasnt happy so she made a choice. didnt bother me cause i do the same.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:32am
It doesn't make sense to me to look at all you have together and all you've made together and just throw it away. But I guess it takes both parties to care.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:33am

after all that time, you'd think they'd work it out

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:36am
isn't this when most couples divorce-- after the kids go to college? I know a few couples that say/have said they were only staying together until the kids were grown. Soon as last kid leaves for   college, they file papers.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:36am
I would not care if my parents got a divorce.

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:37am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

after all that time, you'd think they'd work it out

Right. It must be strange to start all over again if you've been with that person for the majority of your life. It's not worth it.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:38am
what's considered middle age?

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

You mean if it were your parents? Or you mean it wouldn't matter how long you've been together if you felt a need to divorce?

EDIT: o i c

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:39am
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

isn't this when most couples divorce-- after the kids go to college? I know a few couples that say/have said they were only staying together until the kids were grown. Soon as last kid leaves for   college, they file papers.

Oh I didn't know that. I thought most people got divorced when their kids were under the age of ten. I thought by the time they were grown they would have learned to live with each other. Unless something major happens like a public affair or an outside child.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:40am
I know 3 people right now waiting on kids to reach 18.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:40am

Uhhhh I guess forties and beyond, assuming you've been married for a pretty long time.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:41am
I don't think people want to share custody, be a weekend/every other week parent; so they wait. 

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:42am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

Uhhhh I guess forties and beyond, assuming you've been married for a pretty long time.

yeah that's about the age I'm talking about. 47-55; married 20 or so years.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:44am

I know 3 people right now waiting on kids to reach 18.

LoL that's really crazy. If you know you're gonna do it then you might as well just g'on do it. Wasting good years.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:47am

Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

You mean if it were your parents? Or you mean it wouldn't matter how long you've been together if you felt a need to divorce?

EDIT: o i c
I don't know I think I would not care if my parents were married and decided to get a divorce. But then again most of my family all have fail marriages.

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:49am
Most people wait until there children were older that what my grandma did with my granpapa. She even made a room for him until the divorce was final.

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:46am

yeah that's about the age I'm talking about. 47-55; married 20 or so years.

Yep.  That's what I did.  It wasn't easy, but you realize that life is too short to be unhappy for what little time you have left.  My daughter was 17.  She was fine, actually happier not to have to be in a house filled with tension all the time.  She lived with me 4 days and him 3 each week.  She came out ahead, cause she had 2 of everything.  We were married 24 years.  Life is just too short to be unhappy.  For whatever reason.

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:59am
My parents officially divorced like 3-4 yrs ago (mind you I just turned 30) however they've been "separated" since I was in single digit years.

They stayed legally married bc neither one really seemed terribly motivated to seal the deal and my dad wasn't one to contest visitations, etc. Ehhh, by the time my parents finally divorced...no one even cared, they'd been apart for so long anyway.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 5:56am
after my moms first divorce, she never got married again..
so ima bastard smh

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:35am
yes, my parents are divorcing now (49 & 53) and im almost 20. imo, it would have been easier if i were younger i think. this is very painful for me to watch but i understand why its happening, but its very ugly and my home is very turbulent. if anyone is thinking about staying for the kids, dont. it really doesnt help us out at all. 

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:45am
my father and my step mother got seperated (dad left that house with my little sister) 3 months before my little sisters graduation, my dad was on match.com and had a new girlfriend a week after he moved out. they "unofficially" called it quits years ago, but was still fcuking every once in a while. 

Posted By: solo
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 7:48am
My friend was 28 when his parents divorced. They were literally divorced for 9 months and got remarried.

-------------
- solo

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:09am

It doesn't make sense to me to look at all you have together and all you've made together and just throw it away. But I guess it takes both parties to care.

A lot of women consider time an investment too big to walk away from.
I disagree because it's that sunk cost bias.

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:24am
question for yall

if you were old, say 60 and u find your husband cheating,
would u stay & suck it up or divorce?

my friends grandparents got a divorce
she found out he been creepin and i was thinking that must be hard, being alone at that age
but i wouldnt stick around either

idk, thats so hard

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:25am
TBH, my parents should have been divorced a long time ago.
At the time of my mother's death, they had been married 40 years. I sensed my mom's unhappiness but she said she stayed for me. My sister and I had a big age gap so my sister was grown and off to college long before I finished elementary school. My parents had been separated for the past 5 years I think even though my dad would still come around. It was when I was older when I found out the cause of my mother's unhappiness. She never talked bad upon my dad.

Even though my dad spoiled us rotten, I still resent him for how he treated my mother. She didn't deserve that and he doesn't deserve to be the survivng spouse right now.

Lesson is, kids sense things and staying for them and ignoring your own happiness does not always work.

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 9:48am
my parents were never married.. so, yeah, i'm a bastard..

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 10:11am
My sister and her ex-husband divorced after their daughters graduated from college and moved out of the house. She was 51 and he was 57, and their kids were all in their 20s.

They're great friends now. They are together all the time. She was at my house last night and he was, too. For whatever reason, they're happier together now than they ever were when they were married. Actually, he asked me a few weeks ago what I thought about them getting re-married Disapprove

But I can understand why people do it. It makes more sense to divorce after the children are own their own then when they are most vulnerable.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 10:25am
mine divorced when i was really young. my grandparents remarried in their 60's after 40 sumthin years. does that count???

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 10:46am
some people stay together for the kids, and when they are gone, why wait?

also, divorcing with kids is so hard...custody battles, child support, surviving with a kid (or even multiple kids) on one salary is really difficult.

every marriage is different, so it's hard to say "why don't they just stick it out" when we don't know what's going on. I man, they may have been married for 30+yrs, but were they good years that would make you think twice about leaving? or were they so horrible that at your last kid's graduation, you're like "fvck that nicca"??? it all depends. 

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 11:35am
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

question for yall

depends. If I was cheating too...idk

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 12:10pm
i have jokingly said you might as well stay together but why stay? i could not imagine spending all of my life coming home to a man i abhor. i jokingly say 'i wish you were dead' but when i genuinely start wishing you were...it's time to go.

my friends parents got divorced our senior year of college.  it was terrible to watch.  it shook her to her core.  and then the man had the audacity to have a gf in the same neighborhood he lived in w/his family. 

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:29pm
I actually wanted my parents to get a divorce when I was younger. They put us through a lot as kids, and the police were always at our house . People think its so cute that they've been together for so long, but I sure as hell don't. They stay terrorizing eachother. Smh

Posted By: DaSweetestChocolate
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:37pm
When I first left my parents house at 19 my mom would kinda hint around and say they're thinking about a divorce and would I mind. I told her no but I really wanted to say hell yeah I mind! That was 3 or 4 years ago but I think divorce is out the question. Since I was a child they would have their arguments but things would eventually be ok. If they did get a divorce I would definitely take it hard and I'm 23. Its always been us three. I'm the only child and wouldn't know how to handle something like that especially around the holidays. My mom was always the one who seemed so unhappy and I want her to be happy but I want it to be with my dad. Sad to say but I think she was cheating with a younger dude and when I found out I went off but that's another story. I been with my boyfriend four 4 years and he wants a child but we have our problems from time to time and I wanna make sure I can raise my child in a two parent household. How do yall feel about raising kids without their dad? Im terrified of that.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

question for yall

my friends grandparents got a divorce
she found out he been creepin and i was thinking that must be hard, being alone at that age
but i wouldnt stick around either

idk, thats so hard
divorce. thats it thats all. lmao LOLLOLLOLat creepin grandpasCry

-------------

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:16pm
I find it weird for children to be so attached to their parent's relationship.
I don't really care what them nigguhs do.

Posted By: Star007
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by EasterBell EasterBell wrote:

my parents were never married.. so, yeah, i'm a bastard..

+1 lol

ETA: My maternal grandparents were married 20+ years and my grandma filed for divorce because my gramps cheated.  She never remarried but she's a happy soul :)  However, my mom feels that if they would have divorced earlier it wouldn't have affected her as bad as it did when she was older (she was in High School at the time)..she's the 2nd of 4 children

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

My parents officially divorced like 3-4 yrs ago (mind you I just turned 30) however they've been "separated" since I was in single digit years.

They stayed legally married bc neither one really seemed terribly motivated to seal the deal and my dad wasn't one to contest visitations, etc. Ehhh, by the time my parents finally divorced...no one even cared, they'd been apart for so long anyway.

no offense, but were they dating other people during that time?LOL
(we here don't believe in dating until the divorce is completely finalized. LOL)

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

mine divorced when i was really young. my grandparents remarried in their 60's after 40 sumthin years. does that count???

I love that story.

I knew a couple growing(relatives) up where the man was a philanderer the whole while; everyone in community knew it. He eventually left [town] and  came back about 30 years later after he got sick. They had never divorced ; and his wife took him in to take care of him (he was dying). My mom was all "oh that's so kind of her to take him in when he's down and take care of him." I told her "how do you know she's taking care of him, maybe she took him in to hasten his death . Maybe she's over there feeding him poison."  LOL

Mom didn't think that was funny.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 5:58pm
i envision my marriage will be something akin to being in the mob,

blood in blood out by way of death

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:10pm
will yall sign the license after the ceremony in blood too? lol

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:12pm
I think bloody great sex on the honeymoon will seal the deal..

Double entedre

-------------

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:12pm

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

I love that story.

I knew a couple growing(relatives) up where the man was a philanderer the whole while; everyone in community knew it. He eventually left [town] and  came back about 30 years later after he got sick. They had never divorced ; and his wife took him in to take care of him (he was dying). My mom was all "oh that's so kind of her to take him in when he's down and take care of him." I told her "how do you know she's taking care of him, maybe she took him in to hasten his death . Maybe she's over there feeding him poison."  LOL

Mom didn't think that was funny.

lol

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:16pm
My parents stayed together, but honestly they shouldn't have. Sometimes you gotta save yourself

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

My parents stayed together, but honestly they shouldn't have. Sometimes you gotta save yourself

I honestly think my parents are some sick people to be staying together to this very day. They promised me they would divorce when I graduated from high school, but they're still together, ruining peoples lives and being ratchet.

Posted By: bubblyboo
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:43pm
OP you read my mind with this thread. I was just going to post something like this asking how do people cope with parents going through a divorce because its killing me and my siblings.

My parents have been married for 35 years and this year I think this is the year that they will finally call it quits. My dad has cheated on my mom since I was in highschool and I'm in my late twenties. She recently started cheating on him in the past 5 years and just like Mr Vegas, he can't take it now that its been done to him. He stopped paying bills, contributing to the household and I think shes fed up but just can't let go. My parents live in a small town and we know all his business. Hes even rumored to have a child with another woman. I know people think that its weird to be sooo upset about someone else's relationship but when you've seen so much over the course of a decade between two people that you care about, you're just torn and heartbroken.

I could go on and on but I just don't understand how two people who once loved each other can do everything possible to tear each other down and hate each other. My mom is truly trying to make things work because shes been with him since she was 14 and doesn't know anything else. She sees the wrongs shes done as a married woman but he doesn't see it that way. All he does is point the finger about how she cheated and how she loved someone else that wasn't him (even though this happened 5 years ago while he cheated for YEARS with the housekeeper, my grandfather's hospice nurse and even friends of a friend of mine). I want my mom to be happy but their effed up relationship has torn our already fragile family apart. I think we all could use some counseling, her especially.

-------------
Cry me a river d*@kface you just got yourself another one!

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:44pm
My brother's best friend's parents got divorced when he was a sophomore in college. His pops was creeping around and his mother packed her bags and moved out.
It shook him to the core. He ended up struggling with school and taking a semester off.  I think that he struggles with intimacy in his relationships. I have known him for 10+ years and cannot recall a serious girlfriend.  He is always complaining about being lonely. 

-------------
Women are not the problem. they are the solution.

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 6:45pm
sorry to hear that bubb

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:10pm
Bubbly mine have been married for 32 smh.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:17pm
ahh bubbly and starflower Hug

sounds trite but you can just hope that they will be happy 

it's hard to convince people to try counseling and to be honest if the counselor isn't someone they can look up to and understands their cultural background ... it'll be hard to get through to them

I hope it'll all work itself out

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:24pm
hugs to bubb and anyone else going thru.

when my brother and sil divorced it really did a # on my nephew. they were waiting until my nephew left home for college. And by waiting, I mean literally waiting.. for years they had been living separate in the same home just coounting the days until he left. 

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:28pm

Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

no offense, but were they dating other people during that time?LOL
(we here don't believe in dating until the divorce is completely finalized. LOL)

My dad was, my mom wasn't. And by the end my mom was in NJ and my dad was back home in IN.

My dad is a strange bird...

-------------

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

I honestly think my parents are some sick people to be staying together to this very day. They promised me they would divorce when I graduated from high school, but they're still together, ruining peoples lives and being ratchet.
I'm going to hell for laughing at that.LOL

My parents divorced after my dad retired but I do wish mine would have done it sooner and not 'stayed for the kids'.Dead

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I'm going to hell for laughing at that.LOL

My parents divorced after my dad retired but I do wish mine would have done it sooner and not 'stayed for the kids'.Dead

-------------

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

My parents have been married for 35 years and this year I think this is the year that they will finally call it quits. My dad has cheated on my mom since I was in highschool and I'm in my late twenties. She recently started cheating on him in the past 5 years and just like Mr Vegas, he can't take it now that its been done to him. He stopped paying bills, contributing to the household and I think shes fed up but just can't let go.
 See, the problem is getting so used to the craziness that you can't walk away.  Your mom should have left a LONG time ago, or at the very least, got into the position where his absense didn't affect her home. So many women stay, become miserable, and are too paralyzed to make a change.

My parents live in a small town and we know all his business. Hes even rumored to have a child with another woman
WHAT???!!!  OH HELL NO!!

I know people think that its weird to be sooo upset about someone else's relationship but when you've seen so much over the course of a decade between two people that you care about, you're just torn and heartbroken.

I could go on and on but I just don't understand how two people who once loved each other can do everything possible to tear each other down and hate each other. My mom is truly trying to make things work because shes been with him since she was 14 and doesn't know anything else.
The only thing she needs to know is SHE CAN DO BAD BY HEROWNDAMNSELF!

She sees the wrongs shes done as a married woman but he doesn't see it that way. All he does is point the finger about how she cheated and how she loved someone else that wasn't him (even though this happened 5 years ago while he cheated for YEARS with the housekeeper, my grandfather's hospice nurse and even friends of a friend of mine).
tbh, I don't see how your moms hasn't snapped and cut your daddy.  For real!  That is emotional abuse. By staying she is missing out on finding someone who will treat her the way she deserves to be treated.

I want my mom to be happy but their effed up relationship has torn our already fragile family apart. I think we all could use some counseling, her especially.

Yes, I would go to counseling, BY MYSELF, cause imo, at this point there is nothing to save in the relationship.  The grown kids will be fine.  That marrige is an example of what not to do, and you should know what they eat won't make you fat. Good luck girl!

Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 12:36am
Originally posted by PeacefulOne PeacefulOne wrote:

My parents have been married for 35 years and this year I think this is the year that they will finally call it quits. My dad has cheated on my mom since I was in highschool and I'm in my late twenties. She recently started cheating on him in the past 5 years and just like Mr Vegas, he can't take it now that its been done to him. He stopped paying bills, contributing to the household and I think shes fed up but just can't let go.
 See, the problem is getting so used to the craziness that you can't walk away.  Your mom should have left a LONG time ago, or at the very least, got into the position where his absense didn't affect her home. So many women stay, become miserable, and are too paralyzed to make a change.

My parents live in a small town and we know all his business. Hes even rumored to have a child with another woman
WHAT???!!!  OH HELL NO!!

I know people think that its weird to be sooo upset about someone else's relationship but when you've seen so much over the course of a decade between two people that you care about, you're just torn and heartbroken.

I could go on and on but I just don't understand how two people who once loved each other can do everything possible to tear each other down and hate each other. My mom is truly trying to make things work because shes been with him since she was 14 and doesn't know anything else.
The only thing she needs to know is SHE CAN DO BAD BY HEROWNDAMNSELF!

She sees the wrongs shes done as a married woman but he doesn't see it that way. All he does is point the finger about how she cheated and how she loved someone else that wasn't him (even though this happened 5 years ago while he cheated for YEARS with the housekeeper, my grandfather's hospice nurse and even friends of a friend of mine).
tbh, I don't see how your moms hasn't snapped and cut your daddy.  For real!  That is emotional abuse. By staying she is missing out on finding someone who will treat her the way she deserves to be treated.

I want my mom to be happy but their effed up relationship has torn our already fragile family apart. I think we all could use some counseling, her especially.

Yes, I would go to counseling, BY MYSELF, cause imo, at this point there is nothing to save in the relationship.  The grown kids will be fine.  That marrige is an example of what not to do, and you should know what they eat won't make you fat. Good luck girl!

See thats the thing. She did leave him. In fact she kicked dat ass out of the house back in 2010 after she found out about the last chick and the possible baby on the way. She was in a happy place dating and working on herself. I mean the guy she was dating was an absolute hood figure but he made her happy and hey he wan't mr right but more like mr. right now. She was good. Then my dad just wiggled his way back into the picture telling her that he sought counseling and made a change and that he was heartbroken without her. She fell for it and let him come back. Within a few months, he was back to his old ways and here were are again. UUUUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!! Shes not completely innocent but JEESUS my dad is wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong x 100000.

You talking about cutting somebody. Thats how I know its over.... she really did snap the eff out and grabbed a knife when they were arguing. She almost cut his ass. Shes really angry and bitter about everything thats happened. I think shes the most upset about moving on how she did a few years back and now being sucked back into things to where she is now and NOT being able to move on when she had done so before. She has been emotionally abused. I mean they both have done it to each other. Theres so much more. It just gets crazier by the second. We need JESUS!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 12:37am
Thanks to everyone. This is one of the hardest things I've been through in my life smgdh Cry

-------------

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:20am
Wow, bubbly. I empathize with your situation, as I'm sure it brings up a lot of emotions for you. But if your mom decides to put an end to this, its best you be supportive. You're grown at this point and you realize what your dad has been putting her through all these years. She deserves to not have to deal with this level of toxicity in her own home. If they were to separate, nothing prevents you from having a relationship with both of them, as their daughter. But maybe her time has come now (that is, if she's truly willing to go there, which might not be the case). Take it as a lesson as to what NOT to do in your current relationships. Sometimes, that is a gift in itself, if you heed.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:50am
My friends parents did that. Waited until the last child was in college and the dad bought a condo and moved out of the house. 

-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:52am

Thanks to everyone. This is one of the hardest things I've been through in my life smgdh Cry

Hug
My parents emotionally abuse each other too, so i understand 100%

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 4:20pm
*remembers when Da Da taught me and sister to ride our first bicycles*

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 12:29pm
No, but if they did it would not bother me mom deserves so much better..

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 12:34pm
this girl ain't slick LOL

Posted By: mochacaramel
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 12:42pm
my parents are still married nd hate each other they want to divorve but havent  but itll happen soon

-------------
love that lil waist sh*t,,damn dem hips just sit out,,now i see who all dese hatin girls be talkn sh*t bout

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:08pm
Do ya'll think this happens sometimes because once kids come into the picture, that becomes the focus of the relationship...Once the kids leave, they have rebuild their relationship from 20+ years ago..?

most healthy relationships I've witnessed, the parents seem to have other interests outside of being mommy-wife.

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Do ya'll think this happens sometimes because once kids come into the picture, that becomes the focus of the relationship...Once the kids leave, they have rebuild their relationship from 20+ years ago..?

most healthy relationships I've witnessed, the parents seem to have other interests outside of being mommy-wife.

absolutely. i think a lot of people stay for the kids

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:14pm
Yall too old to be cryin' about yalls parents breakin' up.
Them nigguhs ain't dyin'.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:16pm
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Ovw_mPWPdAs/TiNvfONaAYI/AAAAAAAABLY/RKdtYcq7gIY/rhonj-caroline-eyeroll.gif

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:18pm
Some people put a lot of their self-worth and value in coming from a 2 parent home. If one took pride in having the typical, nuclear family, I can see why divorce (even later in life), would be a difficult adjustment. If someone viewed their parents as the epitome of love or marriage, the demise of that relationship may be difficult to accept. This is just my hypothesis. I have never experienced this.

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:21pm
^^well said Lima

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Some people put a lot of their self-worth and value in coming from a 2 parent home. If one took pride in having the typical, nuclear family, I can see why divorce (even later in life), would be a difficult adjustment. If someone viewed their parents as the epitome of love or marriage, the demise of that relationship may be difficult to accept. This is just my hypothesis. I have never experienced this.

okay.
cuz i was just about to ask, how your parents splitting up would dramatically effect your life when you're grown. No choosing between parents and holidays, switching back and forth between homes, changes in financial lifestyle. Talk to me when your parents get divorced when you're a child or teenager. 
But i'll take this explanation and be understanding

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:23pm

People need to grow up.

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:26pm

I actually wanted my parents to get a divorce when I was younger. They put us through a lot as kids, and the police were always at our house . People think its so cute that they've been together for so long, but I sure as hell don't. They stay terrorizing eachother. Smh

This, except they never called the police.

And that's a good explanation Lima.

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:30pm
Prolly both

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

People need to grow up.

you have no heart

or trollin

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:30pm

my cousin cried when this happened....he was in his early 20s

damn....it is still sad folks

Lima's post is spot on

That is sad. I can imagine it would be difficult to accept. Did he ever come to terms with it?

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:35pm

you have no heart

or trollin

Nah I'm just not into pity parties.
And I just don't understand why people would think of their parents as some infallible beings.
They are human and have *&%^$#@Eed up relationships like everybody else. 

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:45pm

this. to me, if you're parents are married, your initial views on love and marriage is based on your parents' relationship. why would i look to Barack and Michele when I have my own parents.

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

this. to me, if you're parents are married, your initial views on love and marriage is based on your parents' relationship. why would i look to Barack and Michele when I have my own parents.

This - to both posts.

Sure your parents relationship isn't your relationship, but it's still something that you're exposed to. Even though my parents didn't get officially divorced until I was way older, seeing them apart and the tension between them definitely shaped how I wanted a relationship to be and the kind of man I wanted (or didn't want).

So to say "what's the big deal/get over it" is a little ridiculous in my opinion. From a psych perspective, your parents are the key aspects for shaping your moral compass, how you view the world, etc. And especially later in life, to see your parents divorce may make some people wonder if the whole thing (their parents marriage) was a charade - even if they know that it's better for their parents to be apart.

Anyone who's been in an LTR or has relatives/ long time friends who've been in an LTR/married and later broke up will tell you, when it happens to someone close to you (or yourself), you're going to get shaken a bit.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

okay.
cuz i was just about to ask, how your parents splitting up would dramatically effect your life when you're grown. No choosing between parents and holidays, switching back and forth between homes, changes in financial lifestyle. Talk to me when your parents get divorced when you're a child or teenager. 
But i'll take this explanation and be understanding
I will stick with this as well because I'm not feeling all that understanding and folk are serious in this thread.Smile

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 5:09pm
I think the kids feel torn after the divorce. One time when my nephew was riding  home with me from college (he was at duke-yuck, I was at carolina-yay) , and I asked him    where do you want me to drop you off? . He got all stressed and flustered.  He started going into panic mode about 50 miles out. If he goes to mom's first dad will be mad, if he goes to dad's house first mom will say why didn't you come here first? Never occurred to me that such a simple question could cause so much angst. 

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 5:12pm
Yeah,

Fortunately or unfortunately, I don't have a real relationship with my father. So I never had to worry about offending someone by visiting one person's house before the other. However, I have had to deal with close friends breaking up and it's like a friendship custody battle. You have to be careful what you say around one person so that it doesn't sound like you're spying on their ex. It's really obnoxious. So I definitely get the unnecessary angst angle.

@Purple: I went to Duke!!! Blue Devils!

-------------

Posted By: gabi03
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 5:52pm
I didn't think people who were grown took their parents divorce so seriously...its really not that big of a deal. *this is going to sound heartless but whatever* You want them to be happy and sometimes that means for them to be apart, I find that grown children crying over their parents divorce kinda selfish. Its not about you, like others have mentioned, they probably stayed in a relationship they couldn't stand because of you. Let them divorce and be happy. I was happy as hell when my parents split, I was in the single digits but I could feel that tension in the household and it wasn't good for me, my bro or my mom...sometimes cords have to be cut. I couldn't imagine living in a home where two people hate one another, I'd rather have you be apart and happy, than together and miserable just because you want to give me a two parent home. I'd take two loving happy single parent homes over that sh*t any day. 
I still keep a close relationship with my dad and my parents are actually nicer to each other now than they ever were married, its not all bad when they split. 

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by gabi03 gabi03 wrote:

I didn't think people who were grown took their parents divorce so seriously...its really not that big of a deal. *this is going to sound heartless but whatever* You want them to be happy and sometimes that means for them to be apart, I find that grown children crying over their parents divorce kinda selfish. Its not about you, like others have mentioned, they probably stayed in a relationship they couldn't stand because of you. Let them divorce and be happy. I was happy as hell when my parents split, I was in the single digits but I could feel that tension in the household and it wasn't good for me, my bro or my mom...sometimes cords have to be cut. I couldn't imagine living in a home where two people hate one another, I'd rather have you be apart and happy, than together and miserable just because you want to give me a two parent home. I'd take two loving happy single parent homes over that sh*t any day. 
I still keep a close relationship with my dad and my parents are actually nicer to each other now than they ever were married, its not all bad when they split. 

You are so right.  My ex and I are so much happier now.  But we promised that we would never say negative things about each other to our child.  We are still friends.  We still say I love you to each other.  It wasn't a mistake to be married or together for 20+ years. We don't hate each other. We visit each other.  We still jointly own property.   It was just time to move on.  People grow apart.  People CHANGE.  Needs change.

It takes work to remain a "family" unit but we still are.  Sometimes its hard, But it is possible. And I recommend it.

My brother thinks it's funny that my ex and I are still on good terms.  He and his ex are mortal enemies.  20 years after the break up.  What a waste of energy. Cry

Posted By: Organic
Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 2:57am
Sang may be trolin' sometimes, but one thing she said on BHM before that stood out to me was

"marriage got messed up when love got involved"

My parents have never been married, but they have the most beautiful relationship I've ever seen. My dad epitomizes how a man should treat his woman, and my mom is the quintessential loving lady. They split up (moved into different houses, etc.) when my sister and I were teenagers because, as PeacefulOne said, they grew apart. They didn't argue and quarrel, but the atmosphere in the home changed. We didin't see them hug and kiss and play around like one time. It was just quiet and tense. It felt like I was in a stranger's home. Being in a new country took its toll on all of us in different ways, I guess. My sister and I were hurt at first because we were so used to seeing mommy and daddy together, so to see that connection fade away felt like a piece of us had faded away as well. I can't explain it - it was like our world had changed. Nothing was as it used to be, and change is almost always hard, especially when it's a perceived negative change. 

Anyway, after they 'moved on', they remained best friends. To this day, they are still madly in love with each other and set a great standard for my sister and I. Even though my mom is married now (my step father is a great guy as well), my dad will always be number 1 in her heart. My mom and dad were best friends when they were children, and so they have always had a strong bond.

I'm sorry for those of you who are hurting and having to witness the bitterness of divorce Hug, but please realize that your relationships with your parents will suffer if they are unhappy. They are people too, and they need to be happy in order for you all to be a functional and healthy familial unit. 

-------------
Cut from full hip to full waist
Maxi Glide with coconut oil
Pin curls
VOILA!

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 3:00am
...and you already know that toxic environments create toxic people. It's cyclical. I know it's hard to fathom, but you should try to be happy for your parents for attempting to break the cycle of dysfunction, hostility and negativity. 

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

Sang may be trolin' sometimes, but one thing she said on BHM before that stood out to me was

My parents have never been married, but they have the most beautiful relationship I've ever seen. My dad epitomizes how a man should treat his woman, and my mom is the quintessential loving lady. They split up (moved into different houses, etc.) when my sister and I were teenagers because, as PeacefulOne said, they grew apart. They didn't argue and quarrel, but the atmosphere in the home changed. We didin't see them hug and kiss and play around like one time. It was just quiet and tense. It felt like I was in a stranger's home. Being in a new country took its toll on all of us in different ways, I guess. My sister and I were hurt at first because we were so used to seeing mommy and daddy together, so to see that connection fade away felt like a piece of us had faded away as well. I can't explain it - it was like our world had changed. Nothing was as it used to be, and change is almost always hard, especially when it's a perceived negative change. 

Anyway, after they 'moved on', they remained best friends. To this day, they are still madly in love with each other and set a great standard for my sister and I. Even though my mom is married now (my step father is a great guy as well), my dad will always be number 1 in her heart. My mom and dad were best friends when they were children, and so they have always had a strong bond.

I'm sorry for those of you who are hurting and having to witness the bitterness of divorce Hug, but please realize that your relationships with your parents will suffer if they are unhappy. They are people too, and they need to be happy in order for you all to be a functional and healthy familial unit. 
I think I needed to read this post. Thanks O.

-------------
You gon get this work Nicca

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 8:34am
i have advised my parents to get divorced. at the time, i thought this was the best course of action for the well being of the entire family. if i sit down to think about it in the next five minutes, i would probably say they should still divorce for their own personal, mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual well being, but i need to wash my hair.  at this point in time, they have been together so long, are so intertwined with each other that they don't know how to separate.  but they no longer know how to be together either. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Elohim_is_Love Elohim_is_Love wrote:

If I get married to you, we are staying together till we die, happy or not happy. Angry

That is the saaaaaammmmmmmeeee way I feel. You can't just give up! Im in my feelings right now 😩

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

I think I needed to read this post. Thanks O.

Hug You're welcome, ladybug.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Elohim_is_Love Elohim_is_Love wrote:

If I get married to you, we are staying together till we die, happy or not happy. Angry

...do ya'll see this psycho-ness...hiding behind the bushes with lighter fluid, a pair of his wife's panties and a copy of the marriage license...running nude down the street...you have to let go sometimes, breh LOL.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 1:33pm
honestly, idk if it is reserved to parents. i remember my dh telling me when he found out that his sister and her husband were having marital problems he thought "wow..if they can't make it who can?" this was over a decade ago and they worked through it but they were an example to him of how marriage worked and his BIL served as an example to him of how a husband behaves, which is why he was his best man.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Chyna_Li
Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 3:30pm
i wouldnt care.
i wish my father would divorce my step mother and rid the family of "thee step-others"

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by gabi03 gabi03 wrote:

And there you have it.Lamp

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Print Page | Close Window