Print Page | Close Window

Things bad braiders do...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Braids
Forum Description: General Discussion on Braids
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351233
Printed Date: Dec 12 2017 at 1:46am


Topic: Things bad braiders do...
Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Subject: Things bad braiders do...
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 4:26am
I love braiding my hair to retain length and make my routine more manageable. But it's so unfortunate when the people who braid your hair pay more attention to the synthetic hair than to your very own hair which you are trying to keep healthy. Share some of your 'bad braider' experiences here. I'll start...
You know when your hair is being braided and some stray neigbouring hairs end up in the braid half way through? When I braid my hair myself and that happens, I unbraid slowly, slide out the hair and rebraid. But what this braider does? She rips the hair out. RIPS!!! I told her to stop and she started doing it faster hoping I wouldn't notice. And it's not like it just happened on a few braids. It happened on A LOT! I just prayed it wasn't bad. Now that I've unbraided my hair, when I tie it, I see lots of short hairs standing up through the rest of my hair. Sigh. I'm so scared to go back to braiding with her. She does my hair for free though. Oh what to do :(

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com



Replies:
Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:28am
Girl.....Sometimes those braiders burn the hairs sticking out. I've seen it done on other people and I cringe.

-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!


Posted By: Aerie
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:56am
Honestly, things like these make me not want to ever sit in a stylists chair! 

I've never been to one, only people who've done my hair are my mother, a cousin once, and a very good family friend who's amazing with hair. 

It seems to me that most stylists don't care about the health of your hair, they just care about making it look good, likely so they can raise their client base. 


Posted By: PiiNkBaYZeBrA
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 2:38pm

I know what you're talking about. I hate when they try to pick through my natural hair with a skinny ass comb and I can just hear my strands popping! I do my own hair now. NOBODY touches my head but me!



Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by PiiNkBaYZeBrA PiiNkBaYZeBrA wrote:

I know what you're talking about. I hate when they try to pick through my natural hair with a skinny ass comb and I can just hear my strands popping! I do my own hair now. NOBODY touches my head but me!



This...my biggest thing was people being too rough on my edges. I have (at this point) a permanent thin spot at the front of my hairline from aggressive braiders when I was in my early twenties and lived in micros.

Now I learned to do my own braiding/twisting and I would never bother going to someone else anymore. I don't yank on my hairline and I don't do tiny braids/twists. I'm a super fan of marley twists now!


-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Girl.....Sometimes those braiders burn the hairs sticking out. I've seen it done on other people and I cringe.


OMG, you just made me realize that they used to do this to my hair when I was a kid! I wondered why they would seal the ends and then quickly run the flame through the length of the braid. Geez, this makes me so mad.

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:50pm
Yup, this settles it. 2013 is the last year I keep my hair in braid extensions :(...Till I figure out how to do them on myself. Lol.

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: NailtechDC
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 8:40pm
I hate to say it.  I don't like what they call the "clean up" after they do braids.  I rather have slightly frizzy braids than to have someone cut off or burn off my real hair.  That's why I never saw any growth after wearing hair in braids for almost 2 years. I don't know why it took me that freaking long to figure it out.     I haven't had braids in almost a year, and I don't think I'll ever return to them. EVER.  But I think you'll be okay if you just tell them they can skip the clean up part.....


Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 11:41pm
Braiders who, when they start to get lazy, do certain parts of your braids a significantly different size than what they started off doing. You expect me to pay you my money when half of my head is done in small braids and the other half is double the size of the braids you started off doing?

Also braiders who take damn near a week to get your hair finished. I have more important things to do than sit at your house 12 hours each day for a week only for you to have 1/10th of my braids in those 12 hours you were braiding my hair because you keep getting up to go outside and gossip with your home girl every five minutes or whoop your kids every 2 seconds. Exactly why I've started braiding my own hair because if I take a week to do my hair myself atleast I know why.

This doesn't have anything to do with braids per say but braiders, and stylists in general, who give you the run around when you're trying to set up an appointment.


Posted By: Love555
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:08am
When they braid my hair sooo tight were I can't even feel my brain.
 
@Kunoichi, cute pic. What anime is that from?


Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Dec 27 2012 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Love555 Love555 wrote:



When they braid my hair sooo tight were I can't even feel my brain.
 
@Kunoichi, cute pic. What anime is that from?

Thanks ^^ It's not from an anime though. It's Hatsume Miku, the vocaloid idol. Love anime though. You into anime too?

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com


Posted By: txtinkerbelle
Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 6:52pm
when you tell her its too tight and your head hurts and she tells you to take a Tylenol when you get home...


Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Dec 30 2013 at 10:37pm
when you walk in the shop looking like an african american, and after they've tightly braided your hair -  you come out of the shop  looking "Bl-Asian"..




Posted By: BeanieBabiesMommy
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:58am
I braid my own hair because I hate paying people to do my hair and it doesnt turn out the way I had hope for or the way it looked like in the picture i showed them.
 
 
i never rip out someones real hair when I braid their hair and as far as cleaning I will cut the extra hair thats sticking out but your hair is braided into the braid.
 
and burning to make it look clean?
 
that should only be done at the tippy tip part of the braid not where y our actual hair is! omg you poor girls that have gone through this , smh
 
and I do hair while I have my son. lucky for me all my clients have kids so their understanding when my kid just wants to be held so they hold him for me or entertain him while i do their hair.


Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 4:32pm
sorry lady,

but i'm not putting up with or holding anyone's kid while getting my hair done. 

I and other ladies who work with children or have children wouldn't put up with this non-sense.. if you can't afford a baby sitter - then you shouldn't have kids.. or wait until the business is booming to have them.

What would i look like walking in to see my patients - and have them holding my kid while i'm treating them?  Tell them "You have kids, you should understand?"

This is just another one of the many reasons i stopped going to braid salons:

the phone calls,  (cell phone) over our heads..

loud T.V.'s to keep the clientele occupied

beauticians showing up late, in house slippers - sometimes robes..

or eating food over our heads,  (specifically PopEye's chicken)..

having conversation with neighbors (over our heads),

errant vendors coming in selling sweet potato pies, bootleg perfume, cheap clothing or DVD's. - over our heads..

kids running around the shop,

attitude when someone points out flaws in a beauticians work..

and to land a kid in a customer's lap? 

sorry, that's just ghetto..








Posted By: BeanieBabiesMommy
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

sorry lady,

but i'm not putting up with or holding anyone's kid while getting my hair done. 

I and other ladies who work with children or have children wouldn't put up with this non-sense.. if you can't afford a baby sitter - then you shouldn't have kids.. or wait until the business is booming to have them.

What would i look like walking in to see my patients - and have them holding my kid while i'm treating them?  Tell them "You have kids, you should understand?"

This is just another one of the many reasons i stopped going to braid salons:

the phone calls,  (cell phone) over our heads..

loud T.V.'s to keep the clientele occupied

beauticians showing up late, in house slippers - sometimes robes..

or eating food over our heads,  (specifically PopEye's chicken)..

having conversation with neighbors (over our heads),

errant vendors coming in selling sweet potato pies, bootleg perfume, cheap clothing or DVD's. - over our heads..

kids running around the shop,

attitude when someone points out flaws in a beauticians work..

and to land a kid in a customer's lap? 

sorry, that's just ghetto..






 
I've never been called "ghetto" before so I don't know how to handle that comment but I am So DAMN happy I had my son despite the fact that I can't "afford" a sitter.
 
 
Like I said , thank god my clients are understanding!
 
every one has to start from the bottom to get to the top.
 
They wont be holding my Baby for ever!
 
 


Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 9:05pm
okay....

Confused


Posted By: BeanieBabiesMommy
Date Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 6:10pm
Dead


Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 9:02pm
This is my personal grievance but I hate it when the braider would put the hair in their mouth to do whatever.  Either to prep the hair for the extension or hold it while they twist.


Posted By: scorpion1585
Date Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 4:27am
i just read the first page n it is freaky. I thought they only do this in my country but i didn't imagine u have such things in US and Europe
I braid my hair alone and it is growing. I once grew my hair by braiding to the waist level, this is my goal for this year too cus i lost all that length


Posted By: growlonghair
Date Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 8:40am
Originally posted by scorpion1585 scorpion1585 wrote:

i just read the first page n it is freaky. I thought they only do this in my country but i didn't imagine u have such things in US and Europe
I braid my hair alone and it is growing. I once grew my hair by braiding to the waist level, this is my goal for this year too cus i lost all that length
 
IMO Europe is the worst. If you live in a non English speaking country & one that did not colonize any African countries (or black people) , chances are Africans in said country are uneducated, dont speak the language & are on minimum wage. And when they open hair salons its atrocious. We have a lady here with a salon. She has two  broken chairs, no mirror, its dirty & it smells . She uses regular needles for weave not the special ones without the sharp edgeAngry. She normally works by herself. But during Christmas etc it gets busy & she has two other women helping her and they all bring their kids to work and they have 5 kids eachAngryDead. It's the worst salon I have ever seen.
 


Posted By: iyawo814
Date Posted: Mar 12 2014 at 5:42pm
I hate when braiders pull your hair so tight it damn near rips the hair out right from the root. My widow's peak has never been the same since this one chick prided my hair and almost ripped it out!



Print Page | Close Window