Print Page | Close Window

Ran across this on FB.....

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351224
Printed Date: Oct 17 2018 at 3:35pm

Topic: Ran across this on FB.....
Posted By: Az~Maverick
Subject: Ran across this on FB.....
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:35pm
I saw a lot of Native American pages responding to their take and feelings on Thanksgiving. They were telling the REAL history of the "holiday" (nothin' wrong with that Thumbs UpClap). This was the response from one of the pages....enjoy!:

PLEASE READ:

Let's not turn another holiday into grounds for negativity and bashing. I have seen a lot of posts today about Native Americans and Pilgrims, and I can say there is a great deal of miseducation here. These stories are much like people believing that the medieval scholars thought the Earth was flat. It's untrue. A popular myth, even taught in schools.

The pilgrims in plymouth, were not the first Europeans colonizing the U.S. The pilgrims were a rag tag bunch of religious radicals who were persecuted for their protestant path. Though this group only made up a portion of the ships passengers. There were about 100 people on the Mayflower. Many worked or were indentured servants, and not pilgrims at all, like my ancestors. The first year the Mayflower band faced a particularly grueling winter which killed 50% of their party. The Wampanoag tribe was intstrumental in teaching the English how to survive the brutal weather, and later how
to sew and harvest crops. Miles Standish, military advisor of the new feeble colony formed a lasting friendship with Squanto and his tribe which lasted for 50 years.

A "thanksgiving" is a religious ceremony, and 1621 was certainly not the first. Pilgrims reject all church holidays and instead celebrate days of fasting and days of giving thanks. When a blessing is recieved, a day of Thanksgiving is declared. This particular day of thanks was to commemorate the blessing of the natives, and the bountiful harvest with the hope to survive the winter. It is likely that this also coincided with the Wampanoag's harvest traditions.

Yes it is true, the English unknowingly brought smallpox into villages when they distributed blankets, a gesture of kindness. The trouble for the Wampanoag's began several years later, when the colonies began to grow, and more ships, brought more settlers, and missionaries.

I will say something taboo. I am white, I am caucasian, and I am proud. I am not responsible for the stereotypes of my race, and neither should I be ashamed of my heritage. I will not be labeled by the color of my skin, and will not take kindly to my ancestors being villified. Let us STOP demonizing one, to romanticize the other. Scores by the thousands of innocent people were slaughtered by Native Americans in my homestate. Natives fighting natives, natives torturing and killing children. WE ARE ALL PEOPLE. Land is not to be owned. When it is, there it is that men kill for power, no matter the color of their skin, or their geography. If I do not belong in America, and must retreat to the european North, than so too must the native Americans return to Asia. And eventually will we all find ourselves in Africa once again. We are brothers and sisters. Choosing sides propels fighting and hatred to sprial on infinitely. Let us forgive. Let us see good. Let us choose to see tiny moments of beauty, and tenderness, and love, in the midst of a world gone mad.

Replies:
Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:38pm
Oh

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:43pm
I explicitly take the time to share the real meaning of thanksgiving on social media sites and blogs. I'm glad you did on this board.

http://Lies%20My%20Teacher%20Told%20Me:%20Everything%20Your%20American%20History%20Textbook%20Got%20Wrong,%20Revised%20and%20Updated%20Edition" rel="nofollow - Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, Revised and Updated Edition

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:45pm
White people are sooo annoying.

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:47pm
I wanna hear this guy TRY spin slavery.... iT'S COMING UP NEXT WATCH

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

White people are sooo annoying.

They are Sang.......they REALLY are!

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:48pm
Stern Smile

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:51pm

I hate how they want everyone to forget what was done to them and start fresh and new. I feel a new white revolution coming.  They're tired of pretending to be ashamed

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:54pm
White Power!

Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:54pm
I just LMAO@ they "unknowingly" gave smallpox. Yeah, just like they "unknowingly" raped, murdered, tortured my people in slavery for 400 years. Bish please.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:04pm
The same people consistently fùcking over people of color throughout human history are really trying to preach this kumbaya shít.

-------------

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:04pm
smh. whatevs.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:05pm
No the fck he didnt.

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:07pm
girl, yes the fucc he did. smh

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Meme0887 Meme0887 wrote:

White Power!

Stern Smile

LOL

sometimes I wanna jokingly say this in some threads,, but I don't think it would go over well Stern Smile

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:13pm
LOL

-------------

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 1:51am
The look on my students' faces when I told them the real story behind Thanksgiving...classic. But, not to rain on their parade (because the English clubs and majors celebrate Thanksgiving by acknowledging the holiday and giving thanks for what they have in their lives), I told them how many Americans continue to celebrate the holiday, but as a day to give thanks for our blessings in life and we make it about family and friends and that we are not celebrating the massacre of the Native Americans, although some would beg to differ. However, they were also lied to about the Germans and many Chinese view Hitler as a hero. 

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 1:58am
IA with him.  I have never known the white man to lie. This re-telling of history is a lie by a bunch of coloreds [NA & others] to feel important & to sh*t on America. Go back to your own country!! USA USA...oh wait...

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 2:37am

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 2:50am

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 5:01am
He lost me at "I'm Caucasian"Sleepy

THis fool done lost his ever loving mind.
That's like raping somebody and saying it wasn't that bad for the victim. B*tch talmbout he will not let his ancestors be demonized?
Dang I wish people would stop posting ignorant ass sh*t these clear folks be saying on their little blogs or whatever .Angry

eta: finished reading: Oh now he's using style to say Native Americans ain't Native Americans? Good luck changing that part of history. Yeah, they may have migrated here too, but they came way before your ass and everyone knows that.

-------------

Posted By: nimkola
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

The first year the Mayflower band faced a particularly grueling winter which killed 50% of their party. The Wampanoag tribe was intstrumental in teaching the English how to survive the brutal weather, and later how to sew and harvest crops. 
Shoulda never taught them nothin'!

I am not responsible for the stereotypes of my race, and neither should I be ashamed of my heritage. I will not be labeled by the color of my skin, and will not take kindly to my ancestors being villified.

LOLLOLLOL

Let us STOP demonizing one, to romanticize the other. 

Scores by the thousands of innocent people were slaughtered by Native Americans in my homestate. Natives fighting natives, natives torturing and killing children. WE ARE ALL PEOPLE.

This argument sounds oddly familiar...hmmmmmmm

Let us forgive. Let us see good. Let us choose to see tiny moments of beauty, and tenderness, and love, in the midst of a world gone mad.

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:32am
White folks always use the "WE ARE ALL PEOPLE" line after they done enslaved everyone else.

I'm not shocked by what was said though, because that's what devils do; they deceive people with smooth words and soliloquies.

But to have people know the truth about all of this and steeeeeel celebrate thanksgivingErmm

-------------

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:29am
lmao, at the responses. but most white people are like that. i actually appreciate the racists who are up front about it. they know their ancestors werent shat  back then and they know their people still aint shat. they keep it real.

-------------
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/28mflg8.gif%5b/IMG]

Print Page | Close Window